Internal Security Watch

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Supratik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5563
Joined: 09 Nov 2005 10:21
Location: USA

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Supratik » 07 Jul 2018 19:51


sum
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9813
Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby sum » 07 Jul 2018 20:00

Very detailed article with lots of facts i never had come across before.

Thanks for posting

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17635
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby chetak » 07 Jul 2018 21:03

sum wrote:Very detailed article with lots of facts i never had come across before.

Thanks for posting



just goes to prove how the US abandons everyone, including their moles.

No COMCASA, CAATSA, JALEBI or CHUTNEY.

Poor rabinder, found out too late that karma is really a female dog.

Image

g.sarkar
BRFite
Posts: 1648
Joined: 09 Jul 2005 12:22
Location: MERCED, California

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby g.sarkar » 07 Jul 2018 21:58

After reading about British spies who betrayed their country to the USSR (Kim Philby et al), I was certain that Rabinder Singh was leading a life of peaceful affluence in a US suburb somewhere, under witness protection. I guess CIA does not give a damn after your usefulness is over. And his was over the moment he left RAW.
Gautam

chanakyaa
BRFite
Posts: 1189
Joined: 18 Sep 2009 00:09
Location: Hiding in Karakoram

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby chanakyaa » 07 Jul 2018 22:00

Hari Seldon wrote:[url=https://www.firstpost.com/india/narendra-modi-govts-bastar-development-offensive-showing-results-tribals-getting-first-taste-of-freedom-4632721.html]

Fascinating read. Did not expect such initiative from Jairam Ramesh in 2011 (not that I know him personally, just arm chair perceptions). In short, prosperity and law/order generally tends to fix many types of social problems. May be not always, but most of the times.

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 639
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby krishna_krishna » 07 Jul 2018 22:20

chetak wrote:
sum wrote:Very detailed article with lots of facts i never had come across before.

Thanks for posting



just goes to prove how the US abandons everyone, including their moles.

No COMCASA, CAATSA, JALEBI or CHUTNEY.

Poor rabinder, found out too late that karma is really a female dog.

Image


karma is a B..h

What goes around comes around. Not the first pig to get what he deserves for selling his motherland, will not be the last one. Finally case closed, interested readers can read "Escape to nowhere" to get details on how the entire surveillance was mounted on him and how he was busted and disgusting hand Brijaesh Mishra had in his escape. He was caught and would have been tried under OSA, but rot went way up in those days hate to say this but is a case in point.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17635
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby chetak » 07 Jul 2018 23:08

krishna_krishna wrote:
chetak wrote:

just goes to prove how the US abandons everyone, including their moles.

No COMCASA, CAATSA, JALEBI or CHUTNEY.

Poor rabinder, found out too late that karma is really a female dog.

Image


karma is a B..h

What goes around comes around. Not the first pig to get what he deserves for selling his motherland, will not be the last one. Finally case closed, interested readers can read "Escape to nowhere" to get details on how the entire surveillance was mounted on him and how he was busted and disgusting hand Brijaesh Mishra had in his escape. He was caught and would have been tried under OSA, but rot went way up in those days hate to say this but is a case in point.


only now, things are emerging slowly from the shadows, like the trecherous and very dubious role of some of ABV's closest "advisors" One commie and an ISI plant was also positioned very close to ABV as an advisor and this man is now seen in his true colors wining and dining with ISI pakis and lootyens traitors on the track thoo circuit. One notable "ally" constantly savaged the BJP and ABV with greedy demands and stole much of the largesse garnered through such blackmail.

Is it any wonder that with such a deep reach, right into the very heart of the govt, PMO and BJP party, the opposition congi was easily able to win the next election and Modi's now understandable paranoia with all his party people of that era?? and his dogged insistence on playing all his cards very close to his chest??

When you lie down with the amerikis, you will always get up with CIA fleas.
Last edited by chetak on 07 Jul 2018 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Karthik S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4208
Joined: 18 Sep 2009 12:12

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Karthik S » 07 Jul 2018 23:25

chetak wrote:Is it any wonder that with such a deep reach, right into the very heart of the govt, PMO and BJP party, the opposition congi was easily able to win the next election and Modi's now understandable paranoia with all his party people of that era?? and his dogged insistence on playing all his cards very close to his chest??


:lol: is that why some of famous D4 gang members hold high cabinet positions in modi govt?

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17635
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby chetak » 07 Jul 2018 23:28

Karthik S wrote:
chetak wrote:Is it any wonder that with such a deep reach, right into the very heart of the govt, PMO and BJP party, the opposition congi was easily able to win the next election and Modi's now understandable paranoia with all his party people of that era?? and his dogged insistence on playing all his cards very close to his chest??


:lol: is that why some of famous D4 gang members hold high cabinet positions in modi govt?


That was the price demanded of him in goa and that is what he paid in nagpur.

So far, the deal seems to be holding.

The real question is will it also hold good in 2019??

g.sarkar
BRFite
Posts: 1648
Joined: 09 Jul 2005 12:22
Location: MERCED, California

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby g.sarkar » 08 Jul 2018 01:03

krishna_krishna wrote:karma is a B..h
What goes around comes around. Not the first pig to get what he deserves for selling his motherland, will not be the last one. Finally case closed, interested readers can read "Escape to nowhere" to get details on how the entire surveillance was mounted on him and how he was busted and disgusting hand Brijaesh Mishra had in his escape. He was caught and would have been tried under OSA, but rot went way up in those days hate to say this but is a case in point.

Could not find that book on the net (for free). But I found:
http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/s ... 0913.htm#1
"'Life in RAW is not like the Ek Tha Tiger story'"
Gautam

Parasu
BRFite
Posts: 235
Joined: 04 Dec 2017 14:18

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Parasu » 08 Jul 2018 02:21

Supratik wrote:Rabinder Singh is dead.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/rabinde ... 88341.html


Nonsensical article. High on sentamycin. I wonder how the author managed to guage Rabinder Singh's remorse.
Basically, India has a habit of trying to spin things around to feel good about itself.
Karma caught up with Rabinder Singh and other kind of bullshit.
The fact is that this man spied for more than a decade for US. India couldnt do squat to him in any which way. He went to US after earning loads of criminal money. And his family must be enjoying their lives in US.
And since India couldnt do him in, something else must have. Wah !!!

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 639
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby krishna_krishna » 08 Jul 2018 03:10

g.sarkar wrote:
Could not find that book on the net (for free). But I found:

Gautam


It is not for free, it is by Amar Bhushan (RAW case officer was investigating Rabinder singh) . It is day by day account of investigation against him, it is not mirch masala but very fascinating if you want to get plain real life details of how things work.

Parasu wrote:


You have to read "Escape to nowhere" by Amar bhushan (as said above he was the investigation officer on this case who caught him red handed before he escaped and it was conveyed this to RAW chief and NSA but rot was at the top as well) .

" India could not do squat" is not true, it was NSA brajesh Mishra who gave enough time for the dog run out of the fence. The case was closed as soon as his office was bugged and all the details of how he used to get info from others and copy everything at home , it is NSA who did not want him to be caught. He also had a cousin up in massa deep state (a massa citizen) who had a deep hand in getting him switched loyalties. And now he died mysteriously , also tells you a story dosen't it ?

Falijee
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10948
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Falijee » 08 Jul 2018 19:28

Zakir Naik meets PM Mahathir Mohamad after Malaysia refuses to deport preacher

slamic preacher Zakir Naik, who is wanted by Indian probe agencies for allegedly fuelling religious hatred through his speeches, met Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Saturday. Naik’s legal team on Sunday has released a photo of the meeting.
The meeting came a day after the Malaysian PM said that Naik will not be deported to India. Mohamad said the Islamic preacher would not be sent back as long as he was not creating any problem in the country, news agency AFP had reported.
Zakir, who is the founder of the Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), left India in 2016 for Malaysia, where he was granted permanent residency. He is wanted in India for allegedly funding terror-related activities and giving hate speeches.
“As long as he is not creating any problem, we will not deport him because he has been given permanent residency status,” Mahathir was quoted as saying by AFP.
A ruling party strategist has stoutly defended the government’s decision not to deport the controversial Muslim preacher. PPBM defended PM Mahathir’s decision not to deport Naik to Naik, saying doing so would be akin to deporting Uighur Muslims to China. PPBM strategist Rais Hussin said he personally could see no wrong in Naik’s activities and speeches.India has made a formal request for the extradition of Naik. India’s Ministry of External Affairs said Thursday the country’s request is under ‘active consideration’.
If things become "too hot" for Naik in Malaysia, he can "scoot" to Saudia as well . And the "ultimate destination" is of course, Pakiland , where he will always be "welcomed" with "open arms" :mrgreen:
Earlier this week, Naik denied reports that he was returning to India, calling them “totally baseless and false”. In a statement, he said, “The news of my coming to India is totally baseless and false. I have no plans to come to India till I don’t feel safe from unfair prosecution. Insha Allah when I feel that the government will be just and fair, I will surely return to my homeland.”
Doubt that he will return on his own accord to face charges !

Parasu
BRFite
Posts: 235
Joined: 04 Dec 2017 14:18

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Parasu » 08 Jul 2018 19:42

krishna_krishna wrote:You have to read "Escape to nowhere" by Amar bhushan (as said above he was the investigation officer on this case who caught him red handed before he escaped and it was conveyed this to RAW chief and NSA but rot was at the top as well) .

" India could not do squat" is not true, it was NSA brajesh Mishra who gave enough time for the dog run out of the fence. The case was closed as soon as his office was bugged and all the details of how he used to get info from others and copy everything at home , it is NSA who did not want him to be caught. He also had a cousin up in massa deep state (a massa citizen) who had a deep hand in getting him switched loyalties. And now he died mysteriously , also tells you a story dosen't it ?


I was talking about the tone of the article. The article is trying to show how `remorseful` Rabinder Singh felt bad about betraying his country. That is hogwash.
India needs to get these buggers and their extended families assassinated like Mossad. If you sell India there must be a price to pay. And not some sentamycin article saying `karma got him` and yada yada.

RoyG
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5181
Joined: 10 Aug 2009 05:10

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby RoyG » 08 Jul 2018 21:07

Parasu wrote:
krishna_krishna wrote:You have to read "Escape to nowhere" by Amar bhushan (as said above he was the investigation officer on this case who caught him red handed before he escaped and it was conveyed this to RAW chief and NSA but rot was at the top as well) .

" India could not do squat" is not true, it was NSA brajesh Mishra who gave enough time for the dog run out of the fence. The case was closed as soon as his office was bugged and all the details of how he used to get info from others and copy everything at home , it is NSA who did not want him to be caught. He also had a cousin up in massa deep state (a massa citizen) who had a deep hand in getting him switched loyalties. And now he died mysteriously , also tells you a story dosen't it ?


I was talking about the tone of the article. The article is trying to show how `remorseful` Rabinder Singh felt bad about betraying his country. That is hogwash.
India needs to get these buggers and their extended families assassinated like Mossad. If you sell India there must be a price to pay. And not some sentamycin article saying `karma got him` and yada yada.


There were many people involved directly and indirectly in getting this guy out. Some higher ups didn't want him touched. It was a stretched out operation. Many intelligence officers were probably compromised. It would have looked terrible for the gov and people like Brajesh Misra who helped some of these guys rise to the top so they just let him go. Damage was done.

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 639
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby krishna_krishna » 09 Jul 2018 00:20

RoyG wrote:
There were many people involved directly and indirectly in getting this guy out. Some higher ups didn't want him touched. It was a stretched out operation. Many intelligence officers were probably compromised. It would have looked terrible for the gov and people like Brajesh Misra who helped some of these guys rise to the top so they just let him go. Damage was done.


Incorrect on many counts, I say this from the entire investigation on this chap is available in a book. There were 57 in total, Brajesh Mishra was compromised to. He was hired after fiasco of pokhran in which see-aye-yeah was caught pants down, his family members who were massa citizens were working in deep state had hand in his recruitment too.

Yes damage was done but he was caught and now he died in a car accident so case closed

Neshant
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4640
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Neshant » 09 Jul 2018 02:13

Both US and UK govt wanted India to test and declare itself a nuclear power during the 90s.

That was the whole point of pushing ahead with the CTBT - to end the ambiguity of India's nuclear status.

The reason was 2 fold :
1) To incease the financial burden on China to militarily deploy nuclear assets against India.
2) To "formally" close the door on any future nuclear power coming on board (e.g Iran)

The real surprise was not that India tested, or that US wanted India to be a (minor) nuclear counter balance to China.

The real surprise was that China did not realize the real intent of the CTBT.
They foolishly though the CTBT was meant US wanted to end India's nuclear status.

It remains one of the better plays by the US against China catching the latter totally off guard.

Likewise the US wanted to formalize Pakistan's status as a nuclear power as a counter balance to India's conventional strength. The only monkey wrench in that plan was 911 when it was suddenly recognized that non-state actors (aka terrorists) have the capacity to launch devastating attacks. Pakistan as a nuclear power emerged not just as a liability to India but to the US itself.

RoyG
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5181
Joined: 10 Aug 2009 05:10

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby RoyG » 09 Jul 2018 02:45

krishna_krishna wrote:
RoyG wrote:
There were many people involved directly and indirectly in getting this guy out. Some higher ups didn't want him touched. It was a stretched out operation. Many intelligence officers were probably compromised. It would have looked terrible for the gov and people like Brajesh Misra who helped some of these guys rise to the top so they just let him go. Damage was done.


Incorrect on many counts, I say this from the entire investigation on this chap is available in a book. There were 57 in total, Brajesh Mishra was compromised to. He was hired after fiasco of pokhran in which see-aye-yeah was caught pants down, his family members who were massa citizens were working in deep state had hand in his recruitment too.

Yes damage was done but he was caught and now he died in a car accident so case closed


You didn't say anything diff. What's the problem?

Shankas
BRFite
Posts: 210
Joined: 13 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Toronto & Mumbai

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Shankas » 09 Jul 2018 05:08

Zakir Naik meets PM Mahathir Mohamad after Malaysia refuses to deport preacher

There are now 2 Indian fugitives in Malaysia. Zakir Naik and Tony Fernandes (Air Asia).

Can a thread be created to track fugitives by country?

Vikas
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5805
Joined: 03 Dec 2005 02:40
Location: Where DST doesn't bother me
Contact:

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Vikas » 09 Jul 2018 13:14

Just curious to know if India has refused deportation of any of the foreign criminal from its soil (Someone who is a bonafide foreigner taking refuge in India and not some OCI etc.).
Next time when another MH370 goes missing, we should send condolences and not flotilla to search for the lost plane.

yensoy
BRFite
Posts: 965
Joined: 29 May 2002 11:31
Location: USA

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby yensoy » 09 Jul 2018 13:39

Vikas wrote:Just curious to know if India has refused deportation of any of the foreign criminal from its soil (Someone who is a bonafide foreigner taking refuge in India and not some OCI etc.).
Next time when another MH370 goes missing, we should send condolences and not flotilla to search for the lost plane.


Hmm... let's start with Dalai Lama. I am sure Chinese authorities want him, but of course he is our most honoured guest & spiritual leader.

As for Zakir Naik, I think he is better off outside India. Do we really want him here? To lead sermons from jail? To become a martyr? To have our secularist lawyers take up his case? No thank you, he can stay in any of the 55 chosen islamic states, anyway he is muzzled in most of those.

RKumar
BRFite
Posts: 986
Joined: 26 Jul 2009 12:29
Location: Evolution is invention, explosion is destruction.

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby RKumar » 09 Jul 2018 13:59

Supratik wrote:Rabinder Singh is dead.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/rabinde ... 88341.html


He did lots of damage to Indian interests, traitors deserve no sympathy and let him rot in hell forever. His only remorse was CIA abandoned him.

dnivas
BRFite
Posts: 210
Joined: 05 Dec 2008 05:54

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby dnivas » 09 Jul 2018 20:45

But again curious, why would the cee eye aa burn him . Again I really cannot agree with the article. They invested so much time to bring him in but then dump him away. Just does not make any sense.

The article also says he had trouble getting legalized. That sounds like total bull crap. he and his wife must have walked into the country as US citizens.

I see many glaring inconsistencies in the article. I think it is a psyops from India to deter future double agents.

nandakumar
BRFite
Posts: 815
Joined: 10 May 2010 13:37

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby nandakumar » 09 Jul 2018 22:14

If they don't go the extra yard they don't get future recruits. So Ranbir had to be exfiltrated after his cover was blown.

Gus
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8094
Joined: 07 May 2005 02:30

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Gus » 09 Jul 2018 22:26

praveen patil of 543

For the first time in this century India has had 30 consecutive months without a single major Islamic terrorism incident outside J&K. The last major Islamic terrorism incident was on January 2nd 2016 in Pathankot

Rahul M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16448
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Location: woh log gawad hai, unpad hai !
Contact:

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Rahul M » 10 Jul 2018 20:45

Folk, do not call for murder of an Indian citizen, even if he is a scum terror supporter.
it creates unnecessary legal potholes for BRF and the owner/mods and may be for you as well.
-Rahul

Supratik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5563
Joined: 09 Nov 2005 10:21
Location: USA

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Supratik » 11 Jul 2018 19:31


Karthik S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4208
Joined: 18 Sep 2009 12:12

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Karthik S » 11 Jul 2018 19:33

Why is he in US custody now?

Supratik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5563
Joined: 09 Nov 2005 10:21
Location: USA

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Supratik » 11 Jul 2018 21:07

Another problem solved. Hindu Bru refugees from Mizoram are being rehabilitated back after two decades. They are also targets of evangelists.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... luJEJ.html

Neshant
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4640
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Neshant » 12 Jul 2018 13:38

The center needs to send these illegals back and soon - in a safe manner.

Which internal security agency is even keeping a handle on this situation.

----------------
Two Rohingya Muslims arrested for illegally procuring Indian passport, Aadhaar card

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 40683.html

----------------

Rohingya Muslims living dangerously close to Army installations in Hyderabad under scanner

https://www.oneindia.com/india/rohingya ... 30882.html

Sachin
Webmaster BR
Posts: 7165
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Undisclosed

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Sachin » 17 Jul 2018 12:14

krishna_krishna wrote:It is not for free, it is by Amar Bhushan (RAW case officer was investigating Rabinder singh) . It is day by day account of investigation against him, it is not mirch masala but very fascinating if you want to get plain real life details of how things work.

I have read this book. Yes it does not add any thing to spice up any information, but looks like Amar Bhushan also wanted to convey that he put in his best efforts and tried to catch the double agent. And there were lots of bureaucratic hurdles (and even lack of solid evidence) in catching the double agent.

---------
Mean while, Kerala's fight -if the state has the baLL$ to do that- against "Islamic terrorism" is not going any where.
SDPI leaders taken into custody, let off.
SDPI calls off Tuesday's hartal
So much so for the brave (!?) stance taken by CPI(M) against "communal" elements. All their bravado goes out of the window when it comes to dealing with Islamic terrorists. An SFI cadre was murdered and CPI(M) as a party, and the state government has not been able to make any progress in dealing with Islamic terrorists. The police is clue less, with some of them admitting that the actual murderers have long left the country. A farce of an arrest was made and SDPI threatend to block the state, and the arrested people were released. SDPI had created a record of sorts by having a harthal organised by using WhatsApp.

sum
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9813
Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby sum » 17 Jul 2018 15:07

SDPI had created a record of sorts by having a harthal organised by using WhatsApp.

Omnious tidings for the future where we will have flash mob gathering using Social Media ( which has a wider reach) compared to the "place of worship loudpseakers" of earlier ( which were only limited to that particular locality)

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17635
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby chetak » 17 Jul 2018 15:41

sum wrote:
SDPI had created a record of sorts by having a harthal organised by using WhatsApp.

Omnious tidings for the future where we will have flash mob gathering using Social Media ( which has a wider reach) compared to the "place of worship loudpseakers" of earlier ( which were only limited to that particular locality)


minority autoriksha drivers, in bangalore, kerala have long been using this technique to gather their mobs when they get into accidents and need violent support.

Supratik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5563
Joined: 09 Nov 2005 10:21
Location: USA

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Supratik » 17 Jul 2018 23:20


Varoon Shekhar
BRFite
Posts: 1721
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 23:26

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Varoon Shekhar » 28 Jul 2018 21:22

Another sickening bus accident. 33 staff of an agricultural university die when bus plunges into a gorge. Interesting that we almost never hear about the aftermath of these horrific accidents. How the families of the victims cope with their loss, how someone badly injured struggles but lives on, what is being done to prevent such accidents, a bus driver's perspective of these repeated( agonisingly repeated) accidents. Imagine that.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/raigad- ... 41491.html

RoyG
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5181
Joined: 10 Aug 2009 05:10

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby RoyG » 28 Jul 2018 21:35

Varoon Shekhar wrote:Another sickening bus accident. 33 staff of an agricultural university die when bus plunges into a gorge. Interesting that we almost never hear about the aftermath of these horrific accidents. How the families of the victims cope with their loss, how someone badly injured struggles but lives on, what is being done to prevent such accidents, a bus driver's perspective of these repeated( agonisingly repeated) accidents. Imagine that.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/raigad- ... 41491.html


What does this have to do with internal security?

Varoon Shekhar
BRFite
Posts: 1721
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 23:26

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Varoon Shekhar » 30 Jul 2018 08:24

I suppose I was linking 'security' with 'safety'. Not unjustified, but perhaps better in the auto or transportation heading.

Neshant
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4640
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby Neshant » 30 Jul 2018 08:57

The final list of Assam's NRC database will be released today.

---------------------

Quest for citizenship: As millions try to prove nationality in Assam

In an airconditioned office room piled with files and papers, Prateek Hajela, special secretary to government and NRC coordinator, simultaneously used an i-Pad and desktop to explain the complexity of his work.

Over nearly four years, the NRC has entered into its database nearly 66 million documents (about 500 truck-loads, he estimated), from birth, school, college certificates to electoral rolls to land and local-government records submitted by 32.5 million people–Molla was one of them–anxious to prove they were here before 24 March, 1971. More than 50,000 state government officials went door to door verifying records, and computer programs were deployed to spot fakes. There may be documents that may not be forged but are not true, said Hajela, referring to “contaminated” electoral records–fake rolls prompted the Assam agitation–fake income-tax PAN cards and birth certificates.

“Some (documents) are forged, but a large number are not forged, so I have to go by descendents, otherwise I will be legalising everyone who is illegal,” said Hajela, an electronics engineer from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, and member of the elite Indian Administrative Service.

Descendents are the crux of the issue for the NRC, since the original number of living people born before 1971 is–by his reckoning–about 4 million. The descendents of these 4 million are now trying to prove they are Indians.

“In Assam, you are a citizen by descent,” Hajela told IndiaSpend over the course of a three-hour presentation of the NRC’s work. “In the rest of India, you are a citizen by birth.”

Apart from home visits to verify identity and cross-checking millions of documents with thousands of institutions that issued them, the key method of trying to attempt accuracy is the family tree, which the NRC generates from its database. A computer programme matches grandparents, with children and grandchildren. Officials call everyone on the family tree to test if they can name everyone in the family.

“Basically, it’s about checking consistency among siblings,” said Hajela. Some mismatches are innocent enough–the offspring of people with multiple spouses may not be able to build a tree, some people may have given nicknames, others may have changed names–but they will all be called together before an officer and their statements verified. “This is the only process,” he said, “to bring in the accuracy expected of us.”

Some lies have been caught. For instance, tens of people claimed to have the same mother or father, with family tree questioning revealing their inability to name their siblings or grandparents.

Of 66 million documents submitted by 6.8 million families–about 32 million people–in Assam, the NRC had verified 49 million documents by October 2017. Hajela would not say how many people had been found illegal. He will submit the final list of illegals to the Supreme Court, which will decide when it will be made public.


https://www.firstpost.com/india/quest-f ... 83411.html

arshyam
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2962
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby arshyam » 30 Jul 2018 17:25

Over 40 lakh people left out of draft National Register of Citizens in Assam - Rahul Karmakar, The Hindu

More than 40 lakh of the 3.29 crore applicants have been left out of the draft National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam.

The draft NRC was released in Guwahati on Monday by Registrar General of India Shailesh, and NRC State Coordinator Prateek Hajela.

As many as 3,29,91,384 people had applied and the applications of 2,89,83,677 were accepted, said Mr. Shailesh.

The remaining 40,007,707 applicants, whose names didn't figure in the list will be given "ample opportunity" through a process of claims and objections till September 28, and their citizenship status will not be questioned till the final, error-free draft is prepared on an unspecified date, Mr. Shailesh and Mr. Hajela said.

Those not on the list include 2.48 lakh Doubtful-voters (D-voters) and their siblings and descendants.

'List not final'

"The process has been completely transparent, fair, objective and meticulously carried out. Adequate opportunity to all applicants were given," Mr. Shailesh said.

Reiterating that the list released was only a draft and not the final one, he said, "Reassuring those not in the draft, they will get ample opportunity to file claims and objectives with adequate time. People who lack knowledge will be provided assistance. Full justice will be meted to all."

No penal action
To a question if those left out in the draft NRC would be intimated, Mr. Hajela said: "We consider them as applicants. Each of them will be sent letters individually for the next step. We are trying to tell them they might have missed out because of some reasons such as unsubstantiated documents. We will provide assistance to them to file claims and objections."

The names of applicants left out in the list would not be revealed to protect their privacy. "We cannot provide district wise breakup of these 40 lakh for the same reason," he said, adding that the total expenditure on the NRC exercise since September 2013 was Rs. 1,220 crore.

Satyendra Garg, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs, said there would be no penal action against those who missed out until their cases were sorted out. "We want law and order to be maintained, and no one will be allowed to create trouble."

The draft can be found online at http://www.nrcassam.nic.in, http://www.assam.mygov.in, http://www.assam.gov.in, and http://www.homeandpolitical.assam.gov.in. The helpline numbers are 15107 (within Assam) and 18003453762.

RoyG
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5181
Joined: 10 Aug 2009 05:10

Re: Internal Security Watch

Postby RoyG » 30 Jul 2018 20:56

so now what? business as usual?


Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests