Out-of-India - From Theory to Truth: Part 2

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Re: Out-of-India - From Theory to Truth: Part 2

Post by Agnimitra »

X-post from Iran's Identity Faultlines thread:

Might give us clues to the origin of the "Khorasan" myth in Islam also...

Some interesting speculation on the lands from which the supposedly Ahura-worshipping tribes migrated north and westward, out of the Indian Continent. It is interesting that the material on the 'Nagas' has been used as a link to fix and resolve ambiguities.

The Sixteen Lands of the Ahuras

(As mentioned in the Avesta - see references.)

Migrations Outward:

Local Migrations:

The places and their supposed Vedic equivalences, plus their associations in the Ahuric mind:

johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

sudarshan wrote:
Nilesh Oak wrote:Sudarshan ji,

But what if JohneeG does consciously chooses not to read astronomy works, because it might stop his search/thought experiments etc. as far as timing of Ramayana or Mahabharata is concerned.

Otherwise JohneeG can grasp astronomy arguments of my books in no time.
Yessir, I remember the merry-go-round ride with Peter on this same subject. Not that I cared a fig about convincing Peter, his cognitive dissonance was so obvious. The idea then was to knock a couple of fence-sitters off their cozy perches.

With JohneeG, I do believe he's sincere, and I've also learned a lot from him on this forum earlier. So I was trying to return the favor in one of the few subjects that I know something about.
Saars, this is a slippery slope to discuss posters instead of their posts. For the record, I thought Peter was a good and knowledgeable poster except his tone. I think it was his tone which created so many negative reactions. Most of the things that he said seem to be fairly correct atleast the ones I came across didn't seem wrong to me.

I think many well-meaning and sincere researchers of ancient Bhaarath eventually conclude towards AIT or AMT because of some other factor: western history is given more ancient dates.

Now, most people assume that the dates for western history are perfect. I don't think thats a correct attitude. If there can be hera-pheri in indian history, there can be hera-pheri in other histories as well.

For a record, the current western history of ancient Egypt does not agree with Old Testament or Herodotus(ancient greek writer). Yet, we are expected to blindly follow it as correct.

So, proving OIT would require two aspects:
Bhaarathiya history.
western history: Egyptian, greek, ...etc.

I think western history is quite reliable from the time of Roman rule. But, before roman rule, there seems to plenty of assumptions and corrections made by the historians to create their present history.

Sudharshan saar,
just found a post of yours which is essentially saying the same thing that I said:
sudarshan wrote: My understanding of Achar's work is, that he's taken the observations of "Saturn afflicting Rohini," "Jupiter afflicting Rohini," etc. literally to mean that Saturn/Jupiter were in Rohini at the time. Whereas Nilesh ji is interpreting these to mean that Saturn and Jupiter were in the opposite direction to Rohini (i.e., if Rohini was in the western sky, then Saturn was in opposition in the eastern sky), and that the planets were "attacking" the nakshatra with their rays.

Validation is iffy here, depending on the interpretation. Is it fair to say that these observations do not lead us to conclusively pick one date over the other?

(Red-Bolded by me)

I agree with the essential point of this post. It seems to me that different explanations given to make the astrological dating work seem iffy.

Nilesh Oak wrote:Sudarshan ji,

But what if JohneeG does consciously chooses not to read astronomy works, because it might stop his search/thought experiments etc. as far as timing of Ramayana or Mahabharata is concerned.

Otherwise JohneeG can grasp astronomy arguments of my books in no time.

--
on a side bar, AV observation would lead to only one time interval of 11091 BCE - 4508 BCE, as described in Mahabharata text, in last (how about) ~10 Million years. That should put all speculation to rest. And in case that is not enough , Bhishma Nirvana references (23 of them together) leads to Mahabharata sometime before 4000 BCE, independent of AV observation.
Nilesh saar,
Perhaps, it would be possible for me to understand most of the arguments. But, it would be quite difficult to determine whether those arguments are correct or not especially since many esteemed researchers seem to be reaching different dates. For that, one would have to read the works of these different researchers and their criticism of each other to find who is on stronger ground.

Anyway, after your exhortation, I went back to the archeo-astronomy thread to see I could gather some sense of the subject. One section caught my eye:
Nilesh Oak wrote:
sudarshan wrote:To try and get back on track. I've read most of Achar's paper. I also need to go back and look at the Bhishma Nirvana observations in Nilesh's book. Nilesh ji, I also need to send you the notes I took as I was reading. It's been a busy time.
Thank you. Look forward to those notes. I have to soon begin editing/cleaning existing manuscript before sending it to Publisher in Delhi.
My understanding of Achar's work is, that he's taken the observations of "Saturn afflicting Rohini," "Jupiter afflicting Rohini," etc. literally to mean that Saturn/Jupiter were in Rohini at the time. Whereas Nilesh ji is interpreting these to mean that Saturn and Jupiter were in the opposite direction to Rohini (i.e., if Rohini was in the western sky, then Saturn was in opposition in the eastern sky), and that the planets were "attacking" the nakshatra with their rays.
There is no objection to interpreting 'Saturn afflicting Rohini' etc. literally. What is important is to show consistency of one's logic.

I have also interpreted in similar fashion (e.g. Saturn afflicting Bhaga, Venus near P. Bhadrapada, Mars-venus-mercury in western part of the sky on the last day of War and many more.

BTW, Achar is 'silent' on Jupiter afflicting Rohini and for good reason. :wink: Please read again his paper.

My goal was to find a consistent explanation for 3 observations that had Saturn in them

(1) Saturn afflicting Bhaga (P or U. Phalguni)
(2) Saturn afflicting Rohini
(3) Saturn and Jupiter near Vishakha up to a year.

Saturn is a slow moving (slowest moving visible to naked eye) planet and it wold not move more than 1-3 nakshatras (considering its retrograde motion) within a span on 1-2 years and thus challenge was to explain all above 3 motions.

Achar has considered only # (2) and has done fine on explaining it. But he was forced to explain away #(1) and #(3) and there is the rub.
Validation is iffy here, depending on the interpretation. Is it fair to say that these observations do not lead us to conclusively pick one date over the other?
Since I am one of the two who is proposing the explanation,there is no point me giving my opinion on your comment as to if both are iffy or who is right.

The only point I will bring up is that.... if there are 3 points on a paper (same plane.. same planet) and one is going to draw a straight line by using only one point and ignoring other two.. that is neither logical/rational or scientific. May be it's a curve and either one admits incomprehensibility or come up with alternate explanation that is consistent.
The other observations that interest me are the vakri motions of some of the planets. Achar goes with the standard definition of "retrograde." Nilesh ji went with a different interpretation (which appeals to me, since "retrograde" is indicated by other words in the MBH text, such as apasavya motion), but more so because of the validation that Nilesh ji performed, showing that his interpretation of "vakri," when tested against the observation of Jupiter's vakri motion, held true. Nilesh ji, I might have missed this in your book, but is there a specific reason why you thought of looking for a different definition of "vakri," than "retrograde?"
Yes. Specific reason was that Marss is described as going vakri (Udyoga) near Jyestha/Anuradha and also afflicting Chitra + going vakri near Magha (Bhishma chapter 3). We also know -from astronomy-that Mars goes vakri only once in ~2 years. Distance between Magha to Jyestha/Anuradha is of 6/7 nakshatras and considering the fact that Mars travels through one nakshtra within ~20 days (when not retrograde) led me to the estimate of not more than 4 or 5 months (6 nakshatra x 20 or 7x 20 = 120 or 140 days)for Mars travel. And thus Mars going retrograde within a span of 6-7 nakshatras (aka 4-5 months) twice is IMPOSSIBLE!

That is when I began to explore other possibilities.
(Red-Bolded by me)

So, essentially, you are saying that the literal astronomical observations are impossible and therefore they can only be made possible if they are interpreted in innovative ways. And by doing that you have reached a consistent date around 5000 BCE.

So, it actually corroborates the point that perhaps these astronomical observations are not be taken literally.
Or all these astronomical observations were not from the same period(because the work was written over a long period), so different sets of astronomical observations would yield different dates of the composition of the work.

I am not saying that astronomical signs given in these works should be ignored. Infact, its totally possible that they were a sort of dating mechanism. I think the problem is that the work(MB) itself is written over several centuries. So, these astronomical observations would be spread over several centuries(even if they are not just fictional decorations), so that seems to the real problem.

So, different researchers have taken different methods to make sense of it. Perhaps, they were unable to make differentiations within the astronomical data set even when they knew that all these data could not be correct as they are.

So, its better to use literary criticism method to find which part of the work came first and which later. Then, archeo-astronomy can be used to find if it provides consistent dates to corroborate or invalidate the conclusions reached by the literary method.

So, archeo-astronomy can be useful to corroborate or falsify. But, it may not be useful to find the dates by itself.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

RajeshA wrote:
Jhujar wrote:The Same great Tamilian 8)
[youtube]SNVa5OqkQnw[/youtube
This Tamilian gentleman is doing good work, if only he can get over his affliction to the AIT and "North Indian Hinduism".
beautiful mandolin u srinivas 's tune there.. will revert on which song is this (need shq help). nostalgic and it is his music make you shed tears for his early death. /OT.

when I visited the grand canyons, I saw hindu god names as peaks. why? I dunno
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

RajeshA wrote:
Nilesh Oak wrote:But what if JohneeG does consciously chooses not to read astronomy works, because it might stop his search/thought experiments etc. as far as timing of Ramayana or Mahabharata is concerned.
Here however we still need to admit that there is an incompatibility between archeoastronomical and textual/traditional evidence - October 16, 5561 BCE vs 3138 BCE.
No incompatibility between 16 October 5561 BCE and 'Textual' evidence, if by 'Textual' one means 'Mahabharata text'.

And regarding incompatibility between 16 October 5561 BCE and 'traditional' evidence, the burden of proof is on 'Traditional' evidence to come clean on multiple things...

(1) When was Aryabhatta born?

(2) How did Aryabhatta determine the beginning of Kaliyuga?

(3) Based on above two.. when is/was the beginning of Kaliyuga?

(4) And in what way...all of this above 'conflicts' (makes incompatible) any of the statements of 'Mahabharata text'?
--
Not to forget 'Inability' of claim of 3138 BCE to corroborate 200+ astronomy observations of Mahabharata text.

In addition, AV observation and set of 23 observations of Bhishma Nirvana falsify any proposal for the Mahabharata war after 4000 BCE, independently or together.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

SaiK wrote:
when I visited the grand canyons, I saw hindu god names as peaks. why? I dunno
Many of the canyon's landmarks were named by geologist Clarence Dutton who published one of the earliest (and best) detailed geologic studies of the canyon in 1882. Dutton believed that the canyon was such an important and impressive feature on the planet, that the names of its features should reflect all the world's cultures and thus he chose many names from mythologies and legends from around the world. Other examples of canyon landmarks named in this way are Wotan's Throne, Cheops Pyramid, Budda Temple, Solomon Temple, Jupiter Temple and Tower of Ra (all of these are major buttes, spires or mesas in the canyon).
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Nilesh Oak wrote:
Nilesh Oak wrote:But what if JohneeG does consciously chooses not to read astronomy works, because it might stop his search/thought experiments etc. as far as timing of Ramayana or Mahabharata is concerned.
RajeshA wrote:
Here however we still need to admit that there is an incompatibility between archeoastronomical and textual/traditional evidence - October 16, 5561 BCE vs 3138 BCE.
No incompatibility between 16 October 5561 BCE and 'Textual' evidence, if by 'Textual' one means 'Mahabharata text'.

And regarding incompatibility between 16 October 5561 BCE and 'traditional' evidence, the burden of proof is on 'Traditional' evidence to come clean on multiple things...

(1) When was Aryabhatta born?

(2) How did Aryabhatta determine the beginning of Kaliyuga?

(3) Based on above two.. when is/was the beginning of Kaliyuga?

(4) And in what way...all of this above 'conflicts' (makes incompatible) any of the statements of 'Mahabharata text'?
--
Not to forget 'Inability' of claim of 3138 BCE to corroborate 200+ astronomy observations of Mahabharata text.

In addition, AV observation and set of 23 observations of Bhishma Nirvana falsify any proposal for the Mahabharata war after 4000 BCE, independently or together.
Nilesh Oak ji,

Indeed you are right. I should have been more specific.

I should have said, that as per my understanding of the understanding of Indian traditional historians about Puranic king's lists, Raja Vanshavalis like Kalhana's Rajatarangini and Nepali Raja Vanshavali and other sources of king's lists, the date of Mahabharata War is 3138 BCE. Mostly this chronology is based on various Hindu calendars, years of rule of certain kings, years of rule of various dynasties, and total time passed between various historical events.

I of course don't doubt that 16th October, 5561 BCE is based on solid textual evidence intrinsic to Mahabharata.

Perhaps one should say that textual evidence internal to Mahabharata and textual evidence external to Mahabharata can at the moment not be reconciled.

So this remains a field open for thinkers and historians to find out the reason for this apparent conflict.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Agnimitra wrote:X-post from Iran's Identity Faultlines thread:

Might give us clues to the origin of the "Khorasan" myth in Islam also...

Some interesting speculation on the lands from which the supposedly Ahura-worshipping tribes migrated north and westward, out of the Indian Continent. It is interesting that the material on the 'Nagas' has been used as a link to fix and resolve ambiguities.

The Sixteen Lands of the Ahuras

(As mentioned in the Avesta - see references.)
Can you put a date on this. I have an approximate date of about 1200 BC for early Zoroastrianism
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

RajeshA wrote:

Nilesh Oak ji,

Indeed you are right. I should have been more specific.

I should have said, that as per my understanding of the understanding of Indian traditional historians about Puranic king's lists, Raja Vanshavalis like Kalhana's Rajatarangini and Nepali Raja Vanshavali and other sources of king's lists, the date of Mahabharata War is 3138 BCE. Mostly this chronology is based on various Hindu calendars, years of rule of certain kings, years of rule of various dynasties, and total time passed between various historical events.

I of course don't doubt that 16th October, 5561 BCE is based on solid textual evidence intrinsic to Mahabharata.

Perhaps one should say that textual evidence internal to Mahabharata and textual evidence external to Mahabharata can at the moment not be reconciled.

So this remains a field open for thinkers and historians to find out the reason for this apparent conflict.
RajeshA ji,

Whoever has derived 3138 BCE has not derived this date in a deductive fashion, but specifically in a curve fit and/or justification/pleading/rationalizing aka inductive fashion. These researchers began with 3102 BCE as beginning of Kaliyuga (arbitrary and erroneous claim of Shri Aryabhatta).

Then took one statement from Shrimad Bhagavata Purana, conveniently translated to their motive while blatently ignoring the speculative nature of this very statement of Bhagavata

Then combined it with one statement of Mahabharata text that claims that Krishna passed away 36 years after the Mahabharata war to arrive at...

BINGO - 3102 BCE + 36 (going back in time in BCE units) = 3138 BCE!

End of Story.
--
Manipulations with ave. ages for each king etc. for Puranic lists of kings was done in such a way to match this number - 3138 BCE, as Sudarshan ji has clearly pointed out (work of Dr. P V Vartak).

Bal Gangadhar Tilak has written eloquently (although he is limited by available evidence to prove his point in totality) about the history of (or myth) of 3102 BCE = Beginning of Kaliyuga.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

shiv wrote:Can you put a date on this. I have an approximate date of about 1200 BC for early Zoroastrianism
The Western scholarship says that around 800 BCE, the Iranians expanded into Elamite areas, i.e. into Western Iran. Earlier these groups (Parshu, Parthians, Sogdians, etc.) were confined to Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Khorasan areas.

In effect Persians became a power only after them and it was the Achaemenides who were probably the first Persian/Iranian empire which controlled West Asia. Before that for a couple of centuries they remained under the Assyrians.

Zoroastrianism, as such, remained mostly confined to Khorasan, etc. till then, being mostly sandwiched between West Asian empires and Indic empires, sandwiched between Asuras of the West and the Devas of the East.

It seems Zoroastrians then for some reason, I would think for political reasons, decided to make Asuras as their masters, rather than the Devas. Possibly it had to do with the desire of Iranians to expand westwards. As their Avesta testifies, the Iranians had been pushed out of the East - Punjab, Kashmir, etc., possibly over a time period stretching thousands of years, and considering the might of the Indian Empires, they did not see much hope.

So the raising of Asuras over the Devas could be an expression of both exasperation in hanging on to land in the East as well as the promise of gaining ground in the West.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

JohneeG wrote...
Saars, this is a slippery slope to discuss posters instead of their posts. For the record, I thought Peter was a good and knowledgeable poster except his tone. I think it was his tone which created so many negative reactions. Most of the things that he said seem to be fairly correct atleast the ones I came across didn't seem wrong to me.
My comment is limited to Shri Peter ji discussion regarding Mahabharata dating. Hardly anything he said (again as related to his arguments about timing of Mahabharata war....either my work or work of other researchers...Iyengar, Achar etc.) was correct. In fact lack of comprehension (deliberate or otherwise) was the issue.

It is desired to have a respectable tone, but IMO, not required, if person is presenting his/her views in extremely critical but rational language.

There is vad- vivad- samvad- vitandavad. All of them have 'Vad' in it. Otherwise huge difference.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

JohneeG wrote..
So, essentially, you are saying that the literal astronomical observations are impossible and therefore they can only be made possible if they are interpreted in innovative ways. And by doing that you have reached a consistent date around 5000 BCE.
I am saying no such thing. If I am saying anything, it is exactly opposite of what you are stating (as my claim).

JohneeG wrote..
So, it actually corroborates the point that perhaps these astronomical observations are not be taken literally.
Or all these astronomical observations were not from the same period(because the work was written over a long period), so different sets of astronomical observations would yield different dates of the composition of the work.
I hope you notice your error in background assumption (because the work was written...). This could be your conjecture (which you have not substantiated it yet) but it is neither my conjecture nor my background assumption.

You have to look at multiple works (based on astronomy) to realize that problem is not due to different sets of data, but due to wrong (inductive, selective, convenient but incorrect, on and on) methods applied by various researchers.. except notable few (Dikshit, Lele, Vartak, Oak).

JohneeG wrote...
I am not saying that astronomical signs given in these works should be ignored. Infact, its totally possible that they were a sort of dating mechanism. I think the problem is that the work(MB) itself is written over several centuries. So, these astronomical observations would be spread over several centuries(even if they are not just fictional decorations), so that seems to the real problem.
I have claimed no such arbitrary imposition on astronomy references of MBH text. I have assumed them to be 'visual astronomy observations' at the time of MBH war and then compared the consequences of my assumptions with that of evidence/simulation etc.

I have alluded, briefly, to what I thought was a problem with your methodology. I had compared it with those of AIT-walas or Indologists (many of them anyways) of last 200+ years. The problem, namely, is that while much speculation goes in our head, much of that is of no use (and can lead to confusion) for public display...until our conjectures/speculations/guesses are validated/corroborated by evidence/tests/experiments etc. In many cases, the researchers himself/herself (Psychological theories) start thinking of their own speculations (previous) as proven conjectures. Even if original researcher does not do this, others seeing such work in prints are led to these errors. Overall a downward and slippery slope.

JohneeG wrote...
So, different researchers have taken different methods to make sense of it. Perhaps, they were unable to make differentiations within the astronomical data set even when they knew that all these data could not be correct as they are.
There is no problem with different theories (astronomical, astrological, dristhi, some astrology charkras, planets as comets). Problem is with faulty methods (selective evidence that suits one's proposal..and even then these researchers have landed in trouble).

JohneeG Wrote...
So, its better to use literary criticism method to find which part of the work came first and which later. Then, archeo-astronomy can be used to find if it provides consistent dates to corroborate or invalidate the conclusions reached by the literary method.
All streams of research (literal, geological, archeology, genetics, linguistics, astrology, astronomy, hydrology, climatology, Paleo-botany, anthropology, ...etc.) should be encouraged.

Interestingly 'what came first and what came later' (assumptions, speculatons or reality) are not required, at least in the case of (by luck) either Mahabharata or Ramayana, as far as astronomy evidence is concerned.

Again, researching in different disciplines is not a sequential process. Granted, in some cases, one is limited by technology of the times, but that is a rather an aspect of 'ease' of research rather than 'sequence'.

JohneeG wrote..
So, archeo-astronomy can be useful to corroborate or falsify. But, it may not be useful to find the dates by itself.
My two works (already published) on Mahabharata and Ramayana, and upcoming few, categorically show this to be a wrong statement. (I did note your 'may' in the last statement. :) )
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

RajeshA wrote:
shiv wrote:Can you put a date on this. I have an approximate date of about 1200 BC for early Zoroastrianism
The Western scholarship says that around 800 BCE,
Thanks. This seems too late a date. I have many pointers suggesting a date around 1200 BC. Anyhow I will soon upload my own book for people to make what they wish of it. It is written but I am editing it to make it more readable.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

shiv wrote:
The Western scholarship says that around 800 BCE,
RajeshA wrote: Thanks. This seems too late a date. I have many pointers suggesting a date around 1200 BC. Anyhow I will soon upload my own book for people to make what they wish of it. It is written but I am editing it to make it more readable.
Just a note,

800 BCE is not really a date for start of Zoroastrianism. It is simply the date of coming of age of Iranians in Western Asia where Zoroastrian worship of Asura (Ahura) may have come as useful for expansion.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

X-post from Iran Idetity Crisis thread:

Another set of speculative coordinates for the "16 Ahura Lands" from the later Zoroastrian Vendidad - possibly after migration outward:

JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD2fYwi2hss

A very interesting speech inside by Svante Paabo, Hungarian expert on Neanderthals - which touches on certain things that may inform the discussion in this thread. It is independently interesting as well. Well worth watching.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://aseema.net.in/ancient-sciences-a ... #pq=14DeFZ
Ancient Sciences and Voices of Knowledge: An Interview with Dr. Alok Kumar
In my research, I found that thinkers and scientists as diverse as Goethe, Emerson, Thoreau, Jung, Oppenheimer, Herder, and Schrodinger, to name a few, have acknowledged their debt to ancient Hindu achievements in science, technology, and philosophy…. Just imagine the modern world without the mathematical revolution of the ancient Hindus. The scientific revolution during the European Renaissance was a result of this mathematical revolution that has its origin in India.” These are some of rare insights Dr. Alok Kumar provides in this interview with Aseema.
Dr. Alok Kumar is a professor of physics at the State University of New York at Oswego. He completed his Ph.D. at Kanpur University. He has been the National President of the American Chapter of the Indian Physics Association during 1995-97 and President of Sigma Xi (Oswego Chapter) during 1995-96. His other areas of interest includes Atomic Physics, Chemical Physics, History of Science and Science Education. He has authored more than 60 scientific publications in atomic physics, chemical physics, history of science, and science education.
History of Sciences
i was raised in a Hindu family in Haridwar, a holy city known for Ganga River. I was told by my parents that the Hindu culture has a long and glorified intellectual tradition. I tried to learn the details of this tradition in my school, college and university education in India. My educational system simply failed me in knowing about my own roots, traditions, and culture. My science courses in India taught me about Democritus, Archimedes, and Newton, to name a few, and nothing about Kanada, Aryabhata, and Brahmgupta. Also, non-academic literature on this glorious Indian tradition in science and technology was also missing. After I migrated to America, I continued with my quest and, eventually, found the main reason of this absence. I discovered that science texts are mostly Eurocentric and it is not the true nature of science.In America, during my off hours from the job, I decided to collect the Greek, Egyptian, Middle Eastern, and European accounts dealing with the ancient Hindus. It was a slow and painstaking process since the digital records did not even existed at that time. When I compiled the scientific achievements of the Hindus from the accounts of Aristotle, Arrian, Megasthenes, Clement of Alexandria, and Apollonius of Tyana among the Greeks; Al-Biruni, Al-Khwarizmi, Ibn Labban, al-Fazari, al-Masudi, and Al-Uqlidisi among the Islamic scholars; Fa-Hien, Hiuen Tsang, and I-tsing among the Chinese; Leonardo Fibbonacci, Pope Sylvester II, Roger Bacon, Voltaire and Copernicus from Europe, a much different picture emerged. With further research, I found that, in the modern era, thinkers and scientists as diverse as Goethe, Emerson, Thoreau, Jung, Oppenheimer, Herder, and Schrodinger, to name a few, have acknowledged their debt to ancient Hindu achievements in science, technology, and philosophy. I decided to compile a history of the Hindus based on all these accounts. The mosaic that emerged from this effort was in contrast to what is generally portrayed in the popular media and even in academics. This is the story behind my book, Sciences of the Ancient Hindus: Unlocking Nature in the Pursuit of Salvation.
Aseema: While most Indian students are aware of the contribution of ancient Greeks to modern science, exact contributions of ancient Indian scientists is largely unknown. Can you please briefly tell the major contributions of ancient Indians to modern sciences?
Dr. Alok Kumar: Modern science and medicine would be unrecognizable, and far more primitive, without the immense contribution of the ancient Hindus. They invented everyday essentials such as our base-ten number system, with place-value notations, and zero as a numeral. The ancient Hindus also developed a sophisticated system of medicine with its mind-body approach known as Ayurveda; detailed anatomical and surgical knowledge of the human body, including cataract surgery and the so-called plastic surgery; metallurgical methods of extraction and purification of metals, including the so-called Damascus blade; knowledge of various constellations and planetary motions that was good enough to assign motion to the Earth; and the science of self-improvement popularly known as yoga. My book, Sciences of the Ancient Hindus, covers these topics in detail.
Just imagine the modern world without the mathematical revolution of the ancient Hindus. The scientific revolution during the European Renaissance was a result of this mathematical revolution that has its origin in India. For example, we write numbers using the Hindu numerals. The uniqueness of this system lies in the fact that the position of a numeral qualifies its magnitude. Tens, hundreds, or thousands are not represented by different signs; they are represented by using digits in different positions. Notice that the one is in the second place in 10 (ten), in the third place in 100 (hundred), and in the fourth place in 1,000 (thousand). Also, zero as a numeral with no magnitude and simply a location occupier was an enormous philosophical and scientific triumph. Calculations in the absence of Hindu place-value-notation, where we write eleven as one and one, are quite difficult to perform. This is the reason that the Greek, Roman, and other numeral systems were discarded even in their own lands. For example in the Roman system, eleven is written as ten and one (XI). It is quite difficult and slow process to perform mathematical operation in this Roman system. This is the reason that Copernicus discarded the Roman mathematical system and used the Hindu system in his book. He provided the rationale of this move; it was done to perform calculations at a much faster rate. The Hindu system is so advanced and, yet, so simple that children are taught to write eleven as one and one (11), written side-by-side, from their earliest period when they also learn their native alphabet.

In modern perspective, just imagine reading the values of various stocks in a newspaper. In a quick scan, you can recognize easily that 1089 is greater than 951. All you need to see is that the first number has four digits while the second number has only three. This is enough for a quick comparison. In contrast, in the Roman numerals, XC (90) is five times more in magnitude than XVIII (18). This is not easy to figure out in a quick glance. Also, mathematical operations of multiplication, division, addition and subtraction become much simpler in a place-value notation.Similar examples related to trigonometry, algebra, plastic surgery, body-mind system of Ayurveda, and metallurgical skills of the Hindus can also be cited, and are provided in my book, Sciences of the Ancient Hindus.
Aseema: It is said that ancient Indians had detailed knowledge of metallurgical methods of extraction and purification of metals, including making of the Damascus blade. Our surgical sciences too were advanced. How can we resurrect the original methods and gain from it to make better products in the future?
Dr. Alok Kumar: Yes, the surgical tools of Susruta, the person who explained the so-called plastic surgery during the pre-Christian era, could dissect a hair longitudinally. Similarly, King Poros, after losing the battle with Alexander the Great, and receiving the gift of life from Alexander, was deeply in gratitude. Alexander not only bestowed life to him, Porus also received his kingdom back to him. Porus wanted to give precious gifts to Alexander to demonstrate his gratitude. Along with other items, Poros gave 6000 pounds of steel to Alexander. The best steel in Persia (Iran) was called foulade Hind, meaning steel of Hind. We can resurrect original methods, improve on these methods, and produce better products only by first documenting our history in India. This is the starting point and we have not done that as yet. My book, Sciences of the Ancient Hindus, is not the final answer on this issue. It simply provides a new beginning to these efforts.
Aseema: The history of science that is taught in India, does not consider ancient traditional sciences worthy of the modern syllabus. Rationalists ask for evidence for origin of our achievements. Do we have concrete evidence to prove the achievements of our ancient scientists? Is yes, are they acceptable to modern sciences?
Science of Ancient HindusDr. Alok Kumar: All modern syllabi in the history of science do consider ancient traditional sciences of the Greeks. It is only the non-Western contributions that are missing. Yes, we do have evidence from the non-Western scholars that is as good as we have for Pythagoras, Thales, Democritus, and Socrates, to name a few from the Greek tradition. The works of Aryabhata, Kanada, Varahmihir, Brahmgupta, Charaka, and Susruta are certainly par excellence. In my book, Sciences of the Ancient Hindus, I made special efforts to avoid the ridicule of many such rationalists and focused on the ancient and medieval accounts of the Greek, Chinese, Egyptian, Arabian, and European literature to get information about Hindu science and technology. As mentioned above, the mosaic that emerges from these foreign documents corroborates what my parents told me when I was a child. India did have a prime past. Since such studies of the ancient and medieval foreign literature that deal with ancient India are almost non-existent, modern science texts still do not recognize Indian contributions in a coherent way. My book provides a new beginning to the issue. I have not received any specific criticism of my assertions from other scholars. With time, I assume that the contents of my book, Sciences of the Ancient Hindus, will become a mainstream knowledge. My other book, A History of Science in World Cultures: Voices of Knowledge, is the next step in assimilating cultural contributions of various civilizations that are acceptable to modern science.
Aseema: Today both theoretical and practical sciences are on the path of achieving new breakthroughs. Yet, the ultimate aim of science remains unknown. Can ancient sciences, especially ancient Indian sciences, provide any clues as to where science is headed?
Dr. Alok Kumar: The connection between religion and science in Hindu literature is an interesting, and perhaps unexpected, variation from the Western model. The sciences of the ancient Hindus were an essential and integral part of their religion, as it was for the Mayans, Arabs, and Egyptians. The disciplines of astronomy, mathematics, chemistry, physics, yoga, and medicine were all practiced to meet the needs of religion, as well as to fulfill natural curiosity.
Narada, in Chandogya Upanishad, considers astronomy and mathematics relevant to achieve liberation (Moksa). Aryabhata, in his book Aryabhatiya, considers astronomy, mathematics, physics and other sciences crucial to know about the Supreme Being. Since science was a prescription to moksa, it became imperative for scientists to find true knowledge. Thus, science could grow independently and scientists could investigate whatever they deemed fit. This led al-Mas`udi (d. 957 A.D.), an Islamic historian during the tenth century, to write that science and technology were established without the aid of religious prophets in India. It was the logic, intuition, and experience of diligent observers (rishis) that contributed to the domain of science. Al-Mas`udi considered India as the land of “virtue and wisdom.”
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^This link below leads to Part II of the above interview

http://aseema.net.in/ancient-sciences-a ... r-part-ii/

Thanks for posting it Jhujar.
nawabs
BRFite

Post by nawabs »

Scientists Have Discovered a New Human-Like Species in South Africa

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-have-disc ... 1729771292
In a burial chamber deep within a South African cave system, a team of scientists has discovered 15 partial skeletons — of a completely new human-like species.

The discovery, announced this morning by researchers from University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg and published in the journal E-Life, adds a completely new section to the Homo family tree. The researchers have dubbed the new species Homo naledi.

While Lee Berger, the lead researcher behind the study, tells New Scientist that the species “doesn’t look a lot like us,” his team believes that features observed in the skull, hands and teeth of the skeletons make it part of the Homo genus.

They certainly have enough evidence from which to draw that kind of conclusion: the fossil find in the cave system was particularly rich. In fact, the team uncovered an amazing 1,400 bones and 140 teeth during a single field trip to the site. The team reckons the fossils could date back as far as 3 million years — though an accurate date is yet to be confirmed.

Such a large find in a single location is pretty much unheard of in discoveries of Homo remains that are so old. The sheer number of bones found together suggests that the bodies may have been deliberately left in the cave, which in turn hints that primitive humans may have buried their dead. While further investigation is needed, the finding could change the way we think about ancient human behavior.

Berger claims that thousands more remains are still present in the cave. Rather than digging them all up in one go, though, a decision was made to take the current batch up to the surface and then create a larger-scale project to uncover the rest over the coming years.

The remains that have so far been studied suggest that Homo naledi was an unusual-looking creature. Its pelvis and shoulder are, apparently, reminiscent of apes that lived 4 million years ago, while its feet resemble Homo sapien remains from just 200,000 years ago. Meanwhile, its skull was much smaller, containing a brain less than half the size of modern humans. The team reckon the creature could have stood 5 feet tall and weighed almost 100 pounds.

The find is clearly important, though some researchers are understandably cautious about what it may tell us. Jeffrey Schwartz at the University of Pittsburgh, for instance, told New Scientist that “the specimens lumped together as Homo naledi represent two cranial morphs.”

That doesn’t detract from the importance of the find, though. While more work is clearly needed — to accurately date the finds, to excavate the other remains, to work out in more detail what we know about Homo naledi — the possibilities provided by such a large collection fossils is huge.

Perhaps most importantly, the find serves to remind us that the soil still have plenty of fossils to offer — and in turn plenty to teach us about the rich history of our ancestors.
member_22872
BRFite

Post by member_22872 »

Resurrecting AIT, Manasatarangini's argument in support of AIT:
https://app.box.com/s/9t5jawga2ocoovvkhrsc
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

I was listening to this below Song And it mention One of the Avatar of Hayagriva https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayagriva
Yet NO horse in India per Eminent Distorians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__W6BY3eZQU
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

X-posting from food & wine thread: Link to series of posts
Dileep wrote:
SaiK wrote:correct me here :
madhura(m) -> sweet
madhu -> alcohol [add an adjacent 'a', in old tamil : beautiful girl]

one is only sweet up to consumption
the later is sweet after consumption [the beauty perhaps falls into both modes]

Madhu = Honey, Nectar, Sweet liquid. Includes the fermented variety, hence meaning induced into alcohol. But NOT the starchy veriety, which is called 'sura'
Madhuram: Property of Madhu.

johneeG wrote:
So, Sura would be similar to Sake(japenese rice wine) and Madhu would be similar to grape wine. Right?

Is it possible to make wine out of honey by fermenting it? Because Madhu seems to be connected to honey. Upanishadhs talk of a Madhu-Vidhya i.e. knowledge of Madhu.

chetak wrote:^^^^^^^

From wiki

Mead (/ˈmiːd/; archaic and dialectal "medd"; from Old English "meodu"[1]) is an alcoholic beverage created by fermenting honey with water, sometimes with various fruits, spices, grains, or hops.[2][3][4] (Hops act as a preservative and produce a bitter, beer-like flavor.) The alcoholic content of mead may range from about 8% ABV[5] to more than 20%. The defining characteristic of mead is that the majority of the beverage's fermentable sugar is derived from honey.[6] It may be still, carbonated, or naturally sparkling; and it may be dry, semi-sweet, or sweet.[7]

Mead is known from many sources of ancient history throughout Europe, Africa and Asia. "It can be regarded as the ancestor of all fermented drinks," Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat has speculated, "antedating the cultivation of the soil."[8] Hornsey considers archaeological evidence of it ambiguous;[9] however, McGovern and other archaeological chemists consider the presence of beeswax markers and gluconic acid, in the presence of other substances known to ferment, to be reasonably conclusive evidence of the use of honey in ancient fermented beverages

johneeG wrote:wonderful, chetak saar. This should go into OIT thread. :)

'Mead' sounds like a corruption of 'Madhu'.

chetak wrote:
johneeG wrote:wonderful, chetak saar. This should go into OIT thread. :)

'Mead' sounds like a corruption of 'Madhu'.

Madhu-----> meodu, sounds more likely, no??

from Old English "meodu",
SaiK wrote:talking about it.. have you all tried that madhu-panagam (tamil)?

basically a sweet drink given to hard field labor folks along with 'more' -> liquefied curd with water, ginger, cilantro, curry, salt.

panag(k)am

- jaggery/honey/may be dates on any sweetener
- dry ginger/sont
- elachi/cardamon
- cold filtered water

religious ceremonies, cart pullers at these functions get these drinks.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

venug wrote:Resurrecting AIT, Manasatarangini's argument in support of AIT:
What is Manasatarangini's handle on BRF?
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

venug wrote:Resurrecting AIT, Manasatarangini's argument in support of AIT:
I think the major difference between AIT and OIT is a matter of terminology. Manasatarangini is willing to follow the AIT terminology, though I have utmost respect for him for his knowledge about our civilization and culture.

Many groups we consider Indians, AIT adherents simply call them outsiders. AIT adherents like to look at India with a much smaller geography while for OIT adherents, Indian geography includes current Pakistan, current Afghanistan and extended periphery including Tajikistan and Tarim Basin. AIT adherents like to put the center of Sanskrit as somewhere around the Caspian or Anatolia or Iran, whereas the OIT adherents, like me, see it as spreading from Saraswati-Yamuna-Ganga region.

In its core, the controversy is about where Sanskrit and the Vedic mythology and their initial forms developed - what the AIT adherents call as "Aryan culture". I would call it the Saraswati-Ganga culture. It is true that the "fair skin" component in India is dominant in Northwestern India, but that is simply a useless data point, because it does not mean that they contributed the language and culture to those further east and south in North India. I think they were the people who took the Saraswati culture Out-of-India and spread it across Eurasia.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

^^^ The main issue I have with AIT is that they tend to see "Arya" culture as being the product of a relatively homogenous (racially, or at least 'linguistically') tribal group, which established hegemony over other racially and linguistically heterogenous peoples of the Indian Subcontinent and elsewhere.

Whereas I find that a lot of evidence points to "Arya" culture being the product of a diverse milieu - racially and linguistically diverse - and where the 'aristocracy' of this civilization was drawn from this diverse pool and homogenized linguistically via a two-layered language ecology - which accounts for the 'linguistic' commonality at the level of that link- and mantric- language only.

Apart from MT ji's grasp of various data from Indic civilization, he is an accomplished geneticist. But there are several questions about linguistic theories and archaeology and how 'experts' from one discipline point to the other and so on. I have not had the chance to directly put these questions to MT ji and get his own responses - but interactions with one of his 'disciples' has not been convincing so far.

The other point is that, no matter how accomplished as a scientist, the translogical leaps between science and mysticism do raise questions. Like this blogpost for example: In the Genes

As far as I have understood, there are subtle and clear differences between genetic lines and other lines of esoteric transmission, and psychologists since the time of Jung have also talked about things like this. But here we see one being reduced to the other in certain ways that I have doubts about. This and others are the many questions I would love to directly put to MT ji. Is there a forum where he accepts questions and discusses?
Last edited by Agnimitra on 28 Sep 2015 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Virendra
BRFite

Post by Virendra »

Agnimitra ji,

Have you tried putting comments in the blog posts?
His articles also appear on IndiaFacts. May be there a channel is open.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

I don't see the space to put comments on blogposts, Virendra ji. Would be nice to have MT ji on BRF in GDF where we can ask questions. I'm told he was once on BRF under the handle Hauma Hamiddha.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

vivek.rao wrote:http://indianexpress.com/article/cities ... la-thapar/
Does it matter now if someone was an Aryan: Romila Thapar
Historian Romila Thapar said that in the current context, attempts were being made to follow two directives — the rewriting of history and the “cleansing” of institutions with “cultural pollution”.
On the rejection of the Aryan invasion theory by speakers at a seminar by Delhi University’s Sanskrit department, Thapar said the issue was “complex” but becoming “less crucial”. She also criticised the seminar’s efforts to push back the date of the creation of the Vedas. “The issue of Aryan invasion is very complex but I think the matter is becoming less and less crucial with time. Does it really matter now if someone was an Aryan?
member_28638
BRFite

Post by member_28638 »

Aryan-Dravidian divide a myth

HYDERABAD: The great Indian divide along north-south lines now stands blurred. A pathbreaking study by Harvard and indigenous researchers on ancestral Indian populations says there is a genetic relationship between all Indians and more importantly, the hitherto believed ``fact'' that Aryans and Dravidians signify the ancestry of north and south Indians might after all, be a myth.

``This paper rewrites history... there is no north-south divide,'' Lalji Singh, former director of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) and a co-author of the study, said at a press conference here on Thursday.

Senior CCMB scientist Kumarasamy Thangarajan said there was no truth to the Aryan-Dravidian theory as they came hundreds or thousands of years after the ancestral north and south Indians had settled in India.

The study analysed 500,000 genetic markers across the genomes of 132 individuals from 25 diverse groups from 13 states. All the individuals were from six-language families and traditionally ``upper'' and ``lower'' castes and tribal groups. ``The genetics proves that castes grew directly out of tribe-like organizations during the formation of the Indian society,'' the study said. Thangarajan noted that it was impossible to distinguish between castes and tribes since their genetics proved they were not systematically different.

The study was conducted by CCMB scientists in collaboration with researchers at Harvard Medical School,
Harvard School of Public Health and the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT. It reveals that the present-day Indian population is a mix of ancient north and south bearing the genomic contributions from two distinct ancestral populations - the Ancestral North Indian (ANI) and the Ancestral South Indian (ASI).

``The initial settlement took place 65,000 years ago in the Andamans and in ancient south India around the same time, which led to population growth in this part,'' said Thangarajan. He added, ``At a later stage, 40,000 years ago, the ancient north Indians emerged which in turn led to rise in numbers here. But at some point of time, the ancient north and the ancient south mixed, giving birth to a different set of population. And that is the population which exists now and there is a genetic relationship between the population within India.''

The study also helps understand why the incidence of genetic diseases among Indians is different from the rest of the world. Singh said that 70% of Indians were burdened with genetic disorders and the study could help answer why certain conditions restricted themselves to one population. For instance, breast cancer among Parsi women, motor neuron diseases among residents of Tirupati and Chittoor, or sickle cell anaemia among certain tribes in central India and the North-East can now be understood better, said researchers.

The researchers, who are now keen on exploring whether Eurasians descended from ANI, find in their study that ANIs are related to western Eurasians, while the ASIs do not share any similarity with any other population across the world. However, researchers said there was no scientific proof of whether Indians went to Europe first or the other way round.

Migratory route of Africans

Between 135,000 and 75,000 years ago, the East-African droughts shrunk the water volume of the lake Malawi by at least 95%, causing migration out of Africa. Which route did they take? Researchers say their study of the tribes of Andaman and Nicobar islands using complete mitochondrial DNA sequences and its comparison those of world populations has led to the theory of a ``southern coastal route'' of migration from East Africa through India.

This finding is against the prevailing view of a northern route of migration via Middle East, Europe, south-east Asia, Australia and then to India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... s?from=mdr
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

My daughter has to write Essay on Soul and for reference sake i opened the Al Qitab on Kena Upanishad and found reference to Corn.But Corn was "discovered" in Amreeka by Euro. Does it mean Upanishad was composed after Columbus arrived to steal gold from Indians ?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Does Hauma Hamiddha same as hOma samidha (Hauma cognate with hOma and hamiddha cognate with samidha)?

homa samidha is a stick in the sacred homa fire during a yagnya. Another meaning of samidha is a piece of firewood of a funereal pyre (kAshTha [mu]).
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

^^^ Yes, hauma hamiddha is the Avestan cognate.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Aryan-Dravidian divide a myth
Western myth taught in school textbooks as legit history - the excuse follows
at some point of time, the ancient north and the ancient south mixed, giving birth to a different set of population. And that is the population which exists now
So why then distinction between ASI and ANI now?

In other words, this myth is taught in schools just to validate another myth of Aryan Invasion Theory - which was in turn used to justify barbaric invasions as normal.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0411/0411080.pdf
Mendeleev and the Periodic Table of Elements
This note presents reasons why Mendeleev chose Sanskrit names (now superseded) for
eight elements in the periodic table.
1. Introduction
It is an amusing sidelight of history of science that the original names used by Mendeleev
for gallium and germanium are eka-aluminum and eka-silicon, where the eka, Sanskrit
for one, has the sense of beyond
. The prediction for the existence of these elements was
made by Mendeleev in a paper in 1869, and it was the identification of these elements in
1875 and 1886 that made him famous, and led to the general acceptance of the periodic
table. In all, Mendeleev gave Sanskrit names to eight elements in his periodic table. This
note presents the connection between the Sanskrit tradition and the crucial insight that led
him to his discovery.
Mendeleev’s periodic table of elements, formulated in 1869, is one of the majorconceptual advances in the history of science. Dmitri Mendeleev (1834-1907) arranged in
the table the 63 known elements based on atomic weight, which he published in his
article “On the Relationship of the Properties of the Elements to their Atomic
Weights”[1]. He left space for new elements, and predicted three yet-to-be-discovered
elements including eka-silicon and eka
-boron. It is the Sanskrit “eka” of these names that
we wish to investigate in this note.
Mendeleev was born at Tobolsk, Siberia, and educated in St. Petersburg. He was
appointed to a professorship in St. Petersburg 1863 and in 1866 he succeeded to the Chair
of Chemistry in the University. He is best known for his work on the periodic table,
which was soon recognized since he predicted the existence and properties of new
elements and indicated that some accepted atomic weights of the then known elements
were in error. His table was an improvement on the classification by Beguyer de
Chancourtois and Newlands and was published a year before the work of Lothar Meyer.
The earlier attempts at classification had considered some two-dimensional schemes, but
they remained arbitrary in their conception. Mendeleev’s main contribution was his
insistence that the two-dimensional arrangement was comprehensive. In this he appears
to have been inspired by the two-dimensional arrangement of Sanskrit sounds, which he
indirectly acknowledges in his naming scheme. But there exist two different
arrangements of Sanskrit sounds, and the purpose of this note is to see which one of these
was the source of his inspiration.
2. Mendeleev’s 1869 Paper and later ..
(Long PDF fro PHD walas)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Edgar Cayce on Reincarnation
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

The Soul's Journey - Edgar Cayce's Cosmology
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

vishvak wrote: So why then distinction between ASI and ANI now?

In other words, this myth is taught in schools just to validate another myth of Aryan Invasion Theory - which was in turn used to justify barbaric invasions as normal.
Sirjee - there is genetic variability even along the x-axis - that is there is perhaps an AWI and AEI,
but they never get talking about because even if true and provable, it does not make for good horse-fry tales.
The invasion migrated and now it has become ancestral onlee, science be damned! :mrgreen:

OIT means thu becoming them baap! So, science or not, thera ancestors unke kabzeme ;-)
There are enough nonscientists who are craving funds and foreign trips onlee no?

Please to note the funding and caliber of desi researchers who fathered and mothered ASI/ANI nonscience! :rotfl:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vishvak wrote: So why then distinction between ASI and ANI now?
When the original paper first came out I wrote to the authors suggesting that the name was inappropriate. Not that it helped.

The names unwittingly help the AITers although the facts do not. ASI and ANI are unique to India. They are not seen among West Asians, central Asians, east or west Europeans. ANI has some influences from Central Asia an Europe going back tens of thousands of years. ASI has some genes seen among Andamanese and Onge aborigines not seen in ANI. ANI and ASI admixture took place more than 12,000 years ago. All Indians, Pakis, Bangladeshis, Afghan Pathan have an ASI+ANI mix. The further north west you go - the more ANI and less ASI and vice versa. Proportions vary from 65:35 ANI:ASI among Pathans and Pandits to 35:65 among some Southern tribal groups. But in any area, the proportion of ASI+ANI is similar among caste groups suggesting that caste was never a barrier to intermixing of genes as touted by AITers

But "ASI", "ANI" and their admixture is:
1. Unique to Indians
2. Older than any AIT theory

People will have to come up with a new AIT theory to say how invaders came from Europe before 12000 years ago. Current AIT is about 3500 years ago. That adds some terrible linguistic complications for the AITers - which I am currently trying to edit in an e book I want to put online

Anyone who tries to use ASI/ANI as a tool to prove AIT is a moron.
csaurabh
BRFite

Post by csaurabh »

shiv wrote: ANI and ASI admixture took place more than 12,000 years ago.
Where does this conclusion come from?
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

shiv wrote: Anyone who tries to use ASI/ANI as a tool to prove AIT is a moron.
But the cat has been setup to guard the hen house :evil:
Got to give credit where credit is due, shame on the Desi morons who fell for it!
So it still means thumara ancestors unke kabzeme!
Who is the moron now? :mrgreen:
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

shiv wrote:People will have to come up with a new AIT theory to say how invaders came from Europe before 12000 years ago. Current AIT is about 3500 years ago. That adds some terrible linguistic complications for the AITers - which I am currently trying to edit in an e book I want to put online
shiv saar,

how about a proper publication, with an ISBN and all ...?