Out-of-India - From Theory to Truth: Part 2

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Re: Out-of-India - From Theory to Truth: Part 2

Post by johneeG »

JE Menon wrote:>>thanks for checking and pointing the mistakes. MB is a long work and different works have different numerals. I made mistake in converting Roman numerals. Anyway, I am posting corrections: Noah's flood story is similar to the story of universal flood from Mahabharatha, Vana Parva, Section 186.

Noah's flood story is no different from other flood myths, so that is the extent of the similarity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths

>>Genesis talks about Tower of Babel story that jews and others migrated from east(somewhere in Iran) to west(Palastine).

What's the connection? I'm missing it. What are you comparing it with in the Mahabharatha.

>>The story of Noah's sons is similar to the story of Yayathi's sons in Mahabharatha, Adi Parva, Section 84.

No it is emphatically not. No more than any father upset with his children. Yayathi curses his sons (except Puru), for refusing to "take his weakness and decrepitude". http://www.vrindavana.net/academy/mahab ... -parva-20/

Noah, on the other hand, was drunk and passed out in his tent. Ham walked in and "saw his nakedness" (some interpretations suggest this may mean either castrated or sodomised him), and told his brothers two brothers who then walked in backwards in order not to "see his nakedness" and laid a cloth on the old man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

Kindly explain the similarity.

I urge BRFites to read up those links and draw your own conclusions.
Yes, Noah's flood and MB flood story are similar to other flood myths. I would like to draw attention towards Gilgamesh especially.

Ok, let me tie in all these things together.

MB tells about the sons of Yayathi: Puru, Yadhu, Anu, Thurvasu, Dhruhyu.
Puru was named the successor of Yayathi.
Yadhu was exiled. He became the ruler of Shepherds.
Anu was exiled to west. He became the ruler of Mlechchas.
Thurvasu was exiled to the west. He became the ruler of Yavanas.
Dhruhyu was exiled. He became the ruler of Bhojas.

Now,
Old Testament tells us about a story of Noah and his sons: Ham, Sham and Japeth. Of these, Sham became the successor to Noah while the other two were cursed by his father and became the rulers of sorrounding nations.

Both stories contain following distinguishing memes:
- father in an unethical situation. Noah was drunk. Yayathi had committed adultery.
- father exiling multiple sons except one who becomes the successor.
- all the sons going on to become establishers of other nations.
- the son who is declared as the successor by father shows great obedience or loyalty to father while other sons are normal.
- both stories are mainly about the origin of nations. The idea is to glorify the establisher of one's own nation by contrasting them with the establisher of other nations.

In short, Yayathi and Noah are the partiachs of patriachs in both stories. Over all meme of exile is another similarity.

Now,
coming back to the flood myth particularly the Gilgamesh:
Gilgamesh is an ancient middle-eastern story about universal flood. It talks of Annunaki i.e. followers/descendents of Anu. Remember that Yayathi had a son named Anu? He was exiled and became the ruler of Mlechchas according to MB.

But thats not enough. Vedhas mention Anu's sons were in the west in Rig Vedha 8:10. Dhasha-rajanya war mentions Anu as the participants. The Dhasharajanya war ended with a sudden flood.

Now,
Old Testament tells the story of Tower of Babel where God sent down a flood and displaced them to west.

To me, it seems like:
- Indian stories are telling that particular factions were exiled or displaced to west(Iran) or north-west(Balochistan). And then further washed away.
- Middle-eastern stories are telling us about the histories of those factions after the flood when they traveled further west.

Finally, the word Noah seems like a corruption of the word Nahusha to me. Nahusha is the father of Yayathi. There are many words in the names of the sons of Noah which sound like Indian names. Ex: Cush, Rama, Sheba, ...etc.

----
RajeshA saar,
so, is there no definitive test?
Last edited by johneeG on 19 Apr 2016 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

johneeG wrote:RajeshA saar,
No! All one can think up of is say some percentage of found inscriptions which "may sound confusing" when deciphered, and as long as the deciphering algorithm keeps the unintelligible translations beneath that percentage, it can be considered as an "acceptable" decipher-table.

One can only speak of "acceptable" deciphering algorithms, and never of a "true" decipher, unless one finds an ancient text in multiple scripts including the "Indus Valley Script".
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

OK, we have established now that there are many flood myths with similarities. In the same way, there are other myths of exile in different traditions. Sons/families going different ways, not at all uncommon in nomadic societies and even in settled ones. Other than similar storylines, it does not establish precedence or linkage. Similar storylines appear in the Homerian epics and the MB too I'm sure. These are people telling stories, and so storylines invariably take common themes - family, movement, conflict, relationships. And there are only a finite combination of these that are attractive to the listeners.

>> It talks of Annunaki i.e. followers/descendents of Anu. Remember that Yayathi had a son named Anu? He was exiled and became the ruler of Mlechchas according to MB.

This is the problem. You have now taken a two syllable name and connected two things. You have put this in a thread where people are trying their level best to examine something with a much greater degree of rigour with established available knowledge and as limited speculation as possible (see how fast that Suzanne Redalia story was shot down, as an example, though it may prove unfair yet). Into this milieu you are bring advanced speculation about linkages which are completely in the realm of speculation. I assume you know the antecedents of the Anunnaki story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anunnaki ... Does this have anything to do with the Anu of the MB? Maybe. It is a stretch. And this is the Out of India Thread which is already trying its best to debunk one myth and establish as much as possible historical fact. Does this business of Noah and Anu contribute?

I'm not saying it is useless or your intent is malicious. But I certainly question your judgement on the matter. This is why I have kept telling you to start your own blog and put all this there. Collect it, and link here when you feel appropriate. There may be something to it, and BRFites will give it the attention it deserves. Truly. But until there is evidence of more than general similarities and tenuous linkages between an explicitly monotheistic and exclusivist religious book and a polytheistic epic with Dharmic tradition infused throughout, this thread which is about establishing historic truths is probably not the place for it. Instead it takes people off on wild tangents and blurs focus (exactly why the Towards a New History thread has been languishing for a while). I leave it to your judgement.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

in some ways we have gone from "everything is european" to "everything is Indian"
not healthy
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

JEM,
we had the same discussion earlier. I don't think its a stretch. Now, I don't know if you see the similarities or not. But, I do. I see similarity in over-all theme. Similarity in memes. And even common names. Now, all similarities can be explained away or called co-incidents. Even when the names are similar, you still say its a co-incident. What more can one show? Ok, tell me what do you think is a credible OIT. I'll see where you are coming from. So far, I am completely unable to understand what you are expecting.

Ok, people may object that I am connecting Old Testament to Hindhu scriptures. Here's what Josephus has to say about the origin of Jews.
For Clearchus, who was the scholar of Aristotle, and inferior to no one of the Peripatetics whomsoever, in his first book concerning sleep, says that "Aristotle his master related what follows of a Jew," and sets down Aristotle's own discourse with him. The account is this, as written down by him: "Now, for a great part of what this Jew said, it would be too long to recite it; but what includes in it both wonder and philosophy it may not be amiss to discourse of. Now, that I may be plain with thee, Hyperochides, I shall herein seem to thee to relate wonders, and what will resemble dreams themselves. Hereupon Hyperochides answered modestly, and said, For that very reason it is that all of us are very desirous of hearing what thou art going to say. Then replied Aristotle, For this cause it will be the best way to imitate that rule of the Rhetoricians, which requires us first to give an account of the man, and of what nation he was, that so we may not contradict our master's directions. Then said Hyperochides, Go on, if it so pleases thee. This man then, [answered Aristotle,] was by birth a Jew, and came from Celesyria; these Jews are derived from the Indian philosophers; they are named by the Indians Calami, and by the Syrians Judaei, and took their name from the country they inhabit, which is called Judea; but for the name of their city, it is a very awkward one, for they call it Jerusalem. Now this man, when he was hospitably treated by a great many, came down from the upper country to the places near the sea, and became a Grecian, not only in his language, but in his soul also; insomuch that when we ourselves happened to be in Asia about the same places whither he came, he conversed with us, and with other philosophical persons, and made a trial of our skill in philosophy; and as he had lived with many learned men, he communicated to us more information than he received from us." This is Aristotle's account of the matter, as given us by Clearchus; which Aristotle discoursed also particularly of the great and wonderful fortitude of this Jew in his diet, and continent way of living, as those that please may learn more about him from Clearchus's book itself; for I avoid setting down any more than is sufficient for my purpose.
Link

Josephus quotes Clearchus who quotes Aristotle that Jews are Indians who settled in Judea. I am saying the same thing. And providing the scriptural evidence for it.
Last edited by johneeG on 19 Apr 2016 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Boss, are you kidding? There could be only one Anu in the ancient world, the one from the MB? And he is the one who went to Babylon and started the Annunaki? Other than the two syllables what do you have? Leave alone the fact that the Babylonians have their own traditions as to where/how the Annunaki originated. Also, why not include this: http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Anunnaki ... which may lend credibility as per your line of historical speculation that the Vedhas are not manmade. Maybe the Mimamsa followers are not so "nonsensical" after all? With the amount of stuff on the web, we can carry on forever. But I'm humbly suggesting it detracts from and derails what some guys are trying to do with the Out of India Thread.

I'm not expecting anything other than better judgement. And looking forward to your own blog where you can pursue your theories freely without necessarily putting it into all of the history or tradition related threads on BRF. Plenty of BRFites do it. The root material for the blog is on BRF itself. You need only copy/paste them. It may turn out to be a valuable repository of lines of inquiry.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Ok, you show me a good Out of India theory according to you. Perhaps, I can see what you mean. BTW, I added some more info in my earlier post.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

johneeG garu,

perhaps the issue is simply that any theory on Indian influence on Babylonian myths and Bible have not matured to an extent that one can sell it properly, and if it is done prematurely, it has more of a negative effect and opens one up to ridicule rather than making a positive contribution to the overall mission statement of this thread.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Speaking of the origins of the Jews, there are more intriguing links than the Bible Study Group (which only mentions Aristotle's quote).

See this: http://jewishtimes.com/16697/are-jews-f ... a/opinion/

And this: http://shalomaste.ca/index.php/humanity ... nequality/

And watch the video at the end of this: http://www.meetup.com/Humanity-The-Worl ... nequality/

Like I said, we can go on like this forever.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

JE Menon wrote:Speaking of the origins of the Jews, there are more intriguing links than the Bible Study Group (which only mentions Aristotle's quote).

See this: http://jewishtimes.com/16697/are-jews-f ... a/opinion/

And this: http://shalomaste.ca/index.php/humanity ... nequality/

I didn't understand. Are these examples of good OIT or bad OIT that you are giving? And that link to Bible Study Group doesn't just mention Aristotle's quote. It provides a translation of all Flavius Josephus works. Thats why I gave that link.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

I'm saying this kind of heavy speculation is not what this thread is about. RajeshA has explained it simply, better than I could. I'm not saying this has no place in inquiry, just that this thread is not the place for it. It will get derailed beyond recognition. And once again, somebody else will be telling us what our history is.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

But, then, show what kind of speculation is acceptable. Please show a good example according to you, so we know what is expected.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cross post
johneeG wrote: Strictly speaking, Hindhuism as it is practiced today is mainly based on Agamas and Vedhantha. Vedhas and their origins are not really important except as dogma. Vedhas may be more important from a historical perspective rather than theological perspective.

Hindhuism can survive(even prosper) without Caste system and Caste system can survive without Hindhuism. But, it seems that caste system weakens Hindhuism and India because it provides readymade faultlines for others to exploit and I would be highly surprised if caste divisions didn't play important role throughout history whenever the invaders succeeded against India. Now, caste system is a weakness for any religion, but organized monotheistic creeds can minimize the effects of this weakness to some extent. On the other hand, caste system is a fatal flaw for a polytheistic, unorganized, and multi-linguistic society.
This man's intent as a closet evangelist should be perfectly clear from the bolded part. The imagination that he knows how Hinduism is practised and others don't is pompous and dismissive.

BRF has been embracing a well informed evangelist for long. I have no problem as long as the intent is clear. After all there are Indians who are converts and who are evangelists and who spend much effort in mapping what is acceptable in Hindu belief systems on to Christianity, But the pre-requisite for that is to dismiss Vedanta and the Vedas.

I think I had better let my feelings be known because I too have thoughts and ideas that I want to discuss and I see a complete dismissal of my own faith and background by a closet missionary as something that I can live with as long as there is no sneakiness.

I just loved this bit:
caste system is a weakness for any religion, but organized monotheistic creeds can minimize the effects of this weakness to some extent. On the other hand, caste system is a fatal flaw for a polytheistic, unorganized, and multi-linguistic society.
Caste is Indian. It is fatal for polytheistic polytheist and polylinguistic people but it is OK for followers of monotheistic religions .

Remember only Hindus with a love for their tradition would want to look for explanations of how caste arose. Accepting definitions without explanations is the most obvious thing for the evanjihadis and that is what I see here

We have had BRFites slobbering over this man's verbose "scholarship" as he gradually pushes his agenda on BRF chipping away at Hindu tradition, Hindu belief and carefully dismissing vedanta while promoting the similarities of bhakti traditions with Christianity; gradually narrowing down "Hindhuism" to one tradition and then claiming that the same one tradition is there in "monotheistic religions" Congratulations. My doubts had begun over one year ago when he posted a video with content about Lemuria.

Of course my pointing out these posts as that of a closet evangelist has earned me the accusation of making a cheap shot. But I think dismissing Vedanta and twisting the system around in huge verbose posts is a much more sinister cheap shot than any I may have made.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

johneeG wrote:But, then, show what kind of speculation is acceptable. Please show a good example according to you, so we know what is expected.
Read the thread. There are a lot of good examples in it. Even when there are one or two wayward posts, I rarely interject (in fact I rarely interject against participants), but when there is a string one after the other in every thread that has to do with history or tradition, each of which eventually get gently pushed into the realm of fantasy, I have to point out that maybe it's not in the best interest of the thread. That's what I did. I have not asked you not to post, just to use good judgement drawing, among other things, from what RajeshA has just said a few posts ago.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

JE Menon wrote:
johneeG wrote:But, then, show what kind of speculation is acceptable. Please show a good example according to you, so we know what is expected.
Read the thread. There are a lot of good examples in it. Even when there are one or two wayward posts, I rarely interject (in fact I rarely interject against participants), but when there is a string one after the other in every thread that has to do with history or tradition, each of which eventually get gently pushed into the realm of fantasy, I have to point out that maybe it's not in the best interest of the thread. That's what I did. I have not asked you not to post, just to use good judgement drawing, among other things, from what RajeshA has just said a few posts ago.
I don't know which posts you are referring to as good. Please post one good OIT example according to you.

----
I am reporting the post of Shiv. Please take some action as he is personally attacking me.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Below is Vedveer Arya's post on Buddha Nirvana

At least this date of 1865 BCE as date of Buddha Nirvana is quite close to what Kota Venkatachelam proposed: 1807 BCE.
Last edited by RajeshA on 19 Apr 2016 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

shiv wrote:Cross post
johneeG wrote:Now, caste system is a weakness for any religion, but organized monotheistic creeds can minimize the effects of this weakness to some extent. On the other hand, caste system is a fatal flaw for a polytheistic, unorganized, and multi-linguistic society.
BRF has been embracing a well informed evangelist for long. I have no problem as long as the intent is clear. After all there are Indians who are converts and who are evangelists and who spend much effort in mapping what is acceptable in Hindu belief systems on to Christianity, But the pre-requisite for that is to dismiss Vedanta and the Vedas.
Shiv ji, I haven't been following JohneeG ji's posts for a while, but I do remember this was not the case when we were discussing different schools of Vedanta a couple of years ago - I was the one making a case for Indic monotheism in Vedanta, while he was taking the standpoint of Adi Shankara's Advaita.

His bona fides aside - I do think that Indic monotheism can and has been a binding force that devours social distinctions and can forge a new "super-caste" from disparate castes that are otherwise more loosely held together by culture. This is qualitatively different from the type of accommodative social cohesion provided by the monistic method. So it would be useful to plumb those internal resources, while also drawing numerous fine distinctions between Indic Monotheism and the "Angry Schismatic Monotheism" of our West Eurasian friends.

We already have enough indicators to show how Angry Schismatic Monotheism devolved out of a "steal-and-hate" dynamic with India, starting with our Zoroastrian cousins - see this post on the thread here: Point 33 especially

So we need not call every appreciation of a larger, more mature and holistic Indic Monotheism as being identical with evanjehadi type Angry Schismatic Monotheism. Rather, this neglected piece of Indic civilization may be an important cog to get the wheel turning and churning again. It will bring the thought process of "being different" full circle, IMHO. I recently dumped some thoughts here:

Between Friendliness and Fascism
blog wrote:There is an unwillingness to distinguish differences between an Infinite but Unique Monotheism that bounds the two ends of the Divergence-Convergence process of Selection, and a fundamentally Angry Schismatic Monotheism that chokes the process of discovery. There is a discomfort with accepting that some level of violence may be part of both processes, but its role and employment in each differ significantly in value, meaning and purpose.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

shiv wrote:....
This man's intent as a closet evangelist should be perfectly clear from the bolded part. The imagination that he knows how Hinduism is practised and others don't is pompous and dismissive.
He seems harmless shiv. If you do not like him would it be better to criticize him privately?
I feel Johnny casts a very wide net and sometimes the catch eludes him for sure and the same applies to us.

At a 20000 foot level Johnny reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Gr ... comparison
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

peter wrote:
RajeshA wrote:..
With time, in fact, Śaka Era was done away with, and possibly because it reminded people of foreign rule.

But as long as the Śakas were there, this calendar continued to be widely used, and sometime later also as not every dynasty was considered fit to initiate their own calendar.
Many Hindus all over the world are still using Saka era:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_national_calendar
RajeshA wrote: Śaka Era of February 19th, 583 BCE is the era of coronation of Śaka king.

Śālivāhana Era of 78 CE is the era of killing of Śaka king, i.e. "Saka-nripa-Kalatita". This is the calendar that is now used as our national calendar. In some cases, when the context was forgotten, some abbreviated "Saka-nripa-Kalatita" to simply Śaka, which caused confusion.
Thanks! This was new information for me.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

RajeshA saar,
If it comes out with something like
Switch off that *&^% cellphone!
u know there is a problem. Something that simply did not exist in any remotely comparable form.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

UlanBatori wrote:
RajeshA saar,
If it comes out with something like
Switch off that *&^% cellphone!
u know there is a problem. Something that simply did not exist in any remotely comparable form.
No, I am not expecting anything similar to that. More likely the inscriptions would read "Rajiv Gandhi Airport" and "Indira Gandhi Hospital".
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

In context of "Out-of-India-Theory", I don't see any reason why anybody should object to people drawing comparisons, be it philology or mythology or genetics. The crux of the argument is that the reason for these similarities is because people living beyond Indian Subcontinent borrowed from the Indians directly or indirectly or carried these traditions and aspects with them when they migrated.

Whatever the comparison, the point is that Origin is Indian.

It is another matter that these comparisons should be well-thought out, well-formulated, well-collected into a composite narrative before one can make the argument of Indian origin, but comparisons per se, which need to be made in order to formulate such a composite theory, are perfectly natural, and this is done across the length and breadth of issues which revolve around Out-of-India Argument - linguistics, genetics, mythology, customs, etc..
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

JE Menon wrote:Speaking of the origins of the Jews, there are more intriguing links than the Bible Study Group (which only mentions Aristotle's quote).
And watch the video at the end of this: http://www.meetup.com/Humanity-The-Worl ... nequality/
Ravan's Pada or Adam's footprint in Sri Lanka ( Biometrics signature would have been better) may be Link with this theory.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

http://www.hinduhumanrights.info/the-ci ... he-pagans/
The Civilizing Mind of the Pagans
Vamadev Shastri
The Civilizing Mind of the Pagans

In the western world, pagan has long been a term of disrepute, suggested someone who is uncultured, primitive, superstitious, or barbaric, extending at times to the worst forms of idolatry and perversion. Originally the term pagan referred to the uneducated farmers and country people in the Roman Empire, among whom the older pre-Christian religions survived the longest, suggesting that these religions were traditions of the crude and illiterate.

Yet if we look at world history carefully, we see that that the pagan traditions have produced probably the greatest flowering of knowledge and culture throughout the world, and continue to do so to the present day. What has been called pagan has been at the forefront of civilization, education, and the pursuit of knowledge both spiritual and mundane. The ancient Greek and Roman pagans were more sophisticated in terms of art, philosophy, and culture than the Christians who converted them. India and China have very old and deep cultures that reflect the pagan traditions of Asia. Yet if we look even at native cultures, also often derided as pagan, we find much of depth and beauty in their cultural and art forms.

If we look carefully, we see that most of the great cultural developments in humanity have their roots in traditions that have been called pagan, or have been denounced as pagan. This includes the realms of art, science, philosophy, mysticism, politics, and economics, from the ancient origins of civilization to the most recent scientific developments. Pagan ideas and practices are behind most of European culture, the greater portion of the cultures of Asia through India, China and Japan, as well as the many native cultures of the Americas, Africa, and Polynesia.

Pagan traditions include older pre-Christian and pre-Islamic traditions, such as the Greek, Roman, Celtic and Germanic of Europe, and the Egyptian, Babylonian, and Persian of the Middle East.

There are also new and revived pagan traditions in New Age thought in the West, as well as atheists, agnostics, and pantheists, who often have affinities with pagan thought. Eastern Dharmic traditions, also called pagan, include the Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, and Sikh. Native Asian pagan traditions include the Taoist, Confucian, and Shinto. Native traditions of Africa, America, Asia, and Polynesia are diverse group with many connections to nature, the Earth, and the cosmic spirit.

Many people have been denounced as pagan or heathen, not because they were primitive or uneducated, but because the advanced culture, art, science, and philosophy they followed was regarded as threatening to belief oriented traditions and their simplistic patterns of salvation and damnation.

There is an underlying affinity, if not unity between European pagan, dharmic, and native traditions. Such groups share a respect for all nature as sacred, an honoring of the presence of spirits in nature, and a seeking of higher states of consciousness of unity with the living universe. They usually promote tolerance, free thinking, and, diversity, and recognize the existence of many paths to truth. They do not have any overriding agenda to convert or conquer the world, but regard culture and spirituality like a garden, requiring different plants in order to truly flourish.

If we add together the total numbers of these broader pagan groups today, they extend to more than two billion people globally, or greater than the total number of Christians in the world and more than one-third of all peoples. If we add to this the total number of people for whom pagan based ideas and practices have importance, it extends to most of the people on the planet.

Civilization, we should clearly note, began in the ancient pagan cultures of Egypt, Sumeria, Egypt, India, and China in the old world, and in Mexico and Peru in the new world. The original forms of art, religion, music, and science, as well as politics and economics have pagan roots. In regions like India and China these pagan traditions have continued to develop to the present day as the dominant cultures. In areas like Europe where pagan traditions lost power outwardly, they have remained in the background and have continued to make important contributions.

Western Christian culture contains much that was originally pagan. Most of what is admired in European culture – its philosophy, science, medicine, art, and literature – has pagan roots, and represents a continuation of Greco-Roman pagan traditions. Christian and Islamic theology, philosophy and mysticism is a development from older pagan thought of Greeks like Aristotle, Plato, and Plotinus. The Renaissance and Enlightenment in Europe were rooted in a revival of pagan thought and included new depictions of pagan deities. Even the Islamic Renaissance of the ninth century emphasized the teachings of older pagan Greek thinkers, as well as bringing in older Persian and Hindu pagan teachings.

In Latin America, much of pagan culture has continued in the background through the festivals, dances, and spiritual practices of the people. African culture and its music and dance that has influenced the world is similarly pagan.

Modern science specifically traces its roots to pagan traditions, particularly through the Greeks and Romans. Yet science was also well respected in ancient India and China, which had no church to denounce them.

Perhaps most notably, the democratic tradition in politics has its roots in ancient Greek and Roman pagan thought, not in autocratic forms of monotheism. Similar democratic movements existed in ancient India, particularly around the time of the Buddha.

This connection of pagan and democratic ideas can be observed in Washington DC, the American capital, which has our lady of Liberty at its top like a pagan Goddess, along with the Washington monument like a pagan obelisk. Pagan deities remain part of European poetry to the present day, just as pagan philosophies have formed both western theology and western practical philosophy.

The Catholic Church originally opposed democracy as a pagan practice, just as it did science and artistic freedom. Europe struggled for centuries to reduce the power of the church and allow for free-thinking, centered on a study of older Greek and Roman pagan texts. Yet we should remember that the Church was not just opposed to secular learning as pagan, it also denounced mysticism and occultism as pagan and ungodly, just as it is inclined to pronounced the practice of Yoga today.

Of the pagan traditions in the world, the Hindu tradition, also called Sanatana Dharma or the eternal Dharma, is probably the oldest, largest and best preserved, and remains widely practiced by nearly a billion people in the world. The kind of temple worship that we see occurred in ancient Egypt, Babylonia, or Greece still can be found in India today. For those seeking to restore or revive pagan traditions, the Hindu tradition has much to offer, having maintained its connection with deities, nature spirits of all kinds. The ancient Greeks and Hindus shared many common cultural traits in terms of temple worship, painting, sculpture, dramas, philosophy, astrology, and medicine. This affinity extends to many other pagan groups in Europe and Asia.

Today we are witnessing a return of pagan thought and a growing respect for it worldwide. Even the new ecological thinking has pagan origins and affinities. The free thinking side of pagan thought remains perhaps the most important civilizing force on the planet. Therefore, it is time to look at the term pagan with a sense of respect, or to invent a new more respectful term like “dharmic or nature traditions” for what has been pejoratively called pagan. Such pluralistic spiritual and scientific traditions are arising again throughout the world and likely to dominate the future of humanity as they have dominated the past. The pagans remain with all of us and represent among the most noble of all human strivings.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

JohneeG: You write the following:
The original MB would have happened around 2300 BCE, if it actually happened. That means that the MB war is older than Dhasha-rajanaya war. By DhashaRajanya war, Shiva was already known.
Elsewhere, you claim that MB might be older than the Ramayana!

Hope you realize that you are either wittingly or unwittingly muddying up the waters. And you do so with a bunch of hypothesis with tenuous links. Not that hypothesis-making is wrong. But the question is: what grand-narrative are you trying to build? Or oppose?

Note who else supports the "late Ramayana" hypothesis - our good friend Sheldon Pollock
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

http://oldgoths.blogspot.co.ke/2009/11/ ... nd-in.html

Forget about the text in this link, scroll down and look at the photos...
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

You mean the Gundestrup Cauldron & Pashupati seal similarities? Yep, very uncanny resemblance!
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Agnimitra wrote: Shiv ji, I haven't been following JohneeG ji's posts for a while, but I do remember this was not the case when we were discussing different schools of Vedanta a couple of years ago - I was the one making a case for Indic monotheism in Vedanta, while he was taking the standpoint of Adi Shankara's Advaita.

His bona fides aside - I do think that Indic monotheism can and has been a binding force that devours social distinctions and can forge a new "super-caste" from disparate castes that are otherwise more loosely held together by culture. This is qualitatively different from the type of accommodative social cohesion provided by the monistic method. So it would be useful to plumb those internal resources, while also drawing numerous fine distinctions between Indic Monotheism and the "Angry Schismatic Monotheism" of our West Eurasian friends.

We already have enough indicators to show how Angry Schismatic Monotheism devolved out of a "steal-and-hate" dynamic with India, starting with our Zoroastrian cousins - see this post on the thread here: Point 33 especially

So we need not call every appreciation of a larger, more mature and holistic Indic Monotheism as being identical with evanjehadi type Angry Schismatic Monotheism. Rather, this neglected piece of Indic civilization may be an important cog to get the wheel turning and churning again. It will bring the thought process of "being different" full circle, IMHO. I recently dumped some thoughts here:

Between Friendliness and Fascism
blog wrote:There is an unwillingness to distinguish differences between an Infinite but Unique Monotheism that bounds the two ends of the Divergence-Convergence process of Selection, and a fundamentally Angry Schismatic Monotheism that chokes the process of discovery. There is a discomfort with accepting that some level of violence may be part of both processes, but its role and employment in each differ significantly in value, meaning and purpose.
Agnimitra,
even now I am still saying the same thing. I think Advaitha is good. I am not a fan of monotheism. Please don't take the confused rantings of some poster too seriously. If you actually go back and read my posts and even the posts of people criticizing me(actually just attacking me as they can't seem to argue normally), you'll see the point yourself. More than anything else, the ID of Johnee seems to be playing the important role in their conclusions about my posts. If your ID was 'carl', then you would have got a similar reception. Infact, your support for Indic Monotheism would have been accused of being some kind of EJ conspiracy. Now, I can appreciate why you changed your ID.
peter wrote:
shiv wrote:....
He seems harmless shiv. If you do not like him would it be better to criticize him privately?
I feel Johnny casts a very wide net and sometimes the catch eludes him for sure and the same applies to us.

At a 20000 foot level Johnny reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Gr ... comparison
Peter,
2 things:
a) I don't know if that poster actually sees your posts. Because he was claiming to have blocked you. If I remember correctly, he was one of the active guys in deriding you on this thread and archeo-astronomy thread for raising common sense points. It seems to be his way of arguing.
b) Your ID is Peter. So, you are in danger of being accused of playing some kind of devious long con of EJ or Macualay or something.
Prem Kumar wrote:JohneeG: You write the following:
The original MB would have happened around 2300 BCE, if it actually happened. That means that the MB war is older than Dhasha-rajanaya war. By DhashaRajanya war, Shiva was already known.
Elsewhere, you claim that MB might be older than the Ramayana!

Hope you realize that you are either wittingly or unwittingly muddying up the waters. And you do so with a bunch of hypothesis with tenuous links. Not that hypothesis-making is wrong. But the question is: what grand-narrative are you trying to build? Or oppose?

Note who else supports the "late Ramayana" hypothesis - our good friend Sheldon Pollock
Firstly, I really haven't read Sheldon Pollock. And I really don't want to read him either. I don't take these western scholars too seriously when they talk about India. Whether they agree with me or disagree with me, makes no difference to me. Now, if your argument is that because Sheldon Pollock or some XYZ takes a particular view, it must be wrong by default. I disagree with this view. I don't think any view is right or wrong just because some guy holds it. Each view is right or wrong on basis of its strengths. For example, I am sure Sheldon Pollock believes in breathing. Do you think we should all stop breathing because Pollock breathes?

As for Ramayana being later than Mahabharatha:
As for dating MB and other events of Bhaarath, my simple formula is to depend only on Bhaarath's sources as primary sources of info. But, the point is that there is lot of mismatch with Bhaarath's sources... even within Hindhu sources. Thats when I started looking at the dates of each book/scripture before using them to date things. Of course, its tricky.

So, lets analyze them and compare them as objectively as possible. If you point out any mistakes in the analysis, I'll gladly change the view accordingly. No problem.

River Saraswathi & dating:
A huge deal is made out of Saraswathi river drying up in the Puraanas and MB. A famine of 12 yrs is a recurring theme. If Saraswathi had re-appeared, then that too would have been a huge event and recorded. Infact, a river reappearing and wetting the dried up desert might be more romantic theme to explore and therefore no one would have missed it. But, there doesn't seem to be such a theme about Saraswathi. There is Ganga-Avatharna, but no Saraswathi-Avatharna. There is only drying up of Saraswathi river recorded in the scriptures. So, as far as the time-period covered by the scriptures is concerned, there was only one event concerning Saraswathi river: its drying up and the place becoming a desert. Within that time-period, there was no re-appearance because the scriptures don't talk of it.

So, ancient Indian history can be divided into 3 points:
a) Before Saraswathi dried up i.e. when Saraswathi was a major river flowing in full flow: Rig Vedha belongs to this period as Saraswathi is repeatedly mentioned. There is a theme of Saptha-Sindhu which encompasses the region around Saraswathi & Sindhu.
b) while Saraswathi was drying up: MB war parts were written during this period. As MB contains a reference to drying Saraswathi. At certain places Saraswathi had dried up, while it was still flowing in other places.
c) after Saraswathi dried up and a desert was formed: Ramayana belongs to this period as Ramayana contains a reference to Maru.

I think the reference in Raamayana is from a time after the Saraswathi dried up and the place became a desert(Maru). On the other hand, the reference in MB is from a time when Saraswathi was still not totally dried up. It dried up in places(called Vinashana). Saraswathi reference in MB seems to be earlier than the reference in Raamayana. But, the main story of Raamayana is supposed to be much earlier than MB. MB clearly says that there was a Vinashana where Saraswathi dried up. Raamayana talks about Maru i.e. desert.

From geographical point of view: MB is limited to Kuru-Paanchala war fought on the banks of Saraswathi. On the other hand, Raamayana has much larger geographic area. Even if we take the entire MB story instead of just war, MB is limited to Northern India(including Afghanistan) whereas Ramayana talks of entire India. So, the geographical expanse of MB is smaller than Ramayana.

From technological point of view:
Overall, the weapons used in both wars seem to be quite similar. Only Raamayana, one side was living in jungles and hence technologically less advanced. Otherwise, Raavana's Lanka seems to have more or less the same weapons which are mentioned in MB.

From a social point of view:
MB mentions that marriage(or monogamous wife type marriage) was put in place by: Gothama i.e Dheerga-Thamas. Upanishadhs says that marriage(or monogamous wife type marriage) was put in place by: Shwethakethu(who is a descendent of Gothama). The marriages became close-ended for women during the time of Upanishadhs. So, broadly, we can say that before this type of marriage was put in place, the marriages were open-ended. As time passed by the 'good wife' i.e. Sathi became an important ideal. Before this period, marriages seem to be open-ended.

Now, there are almost no 'good wife' models in MB. Dhraupadhi is portrayed as a good wife but she is a common wife of many men which goes against the theme of Sathi. When I talk about Sathi, I don't mean the practice of burning on funeral pyre. No. I simply meant wife being loyal to one husband instead of an open-ended marriage. The earlier Kuru women were not Sathi in that sense because they had children with several different men, some even outside the wedlock.

Following women are mentioned in Kuru dynasty:
- Ganga: ends the marriage. Women ends the marriage unilaterally because the husband violated pre-nuptial agreement.
- Ambika-Ambalika: husband dies young. They have children with brother-in-law.
- Kunthi: Has 4 children with 4 different men.
- Maadhri: Has 2 children with 2 different men.
- Dhraupadhi: Has 5 children with 5 brothers.

On the other hand, Raamayana portrays Seetha as a 'good wife'. Infact, I would say that the main theme of Raamayana was to depict a 'good wife'. Seetha-amma is loyal to her husband throughout Raamayana despite being abducted by Ravana and tempted with various offers. This shows that the society depicted in the core story of MB is earlier than the society depicted in Raamayana. Then, Uttara Kaanda depicts the next phase which shows more rigidness in this aspect where Seetha-amma is rejected only because She is not considered 'good wife' just because She was abducted and remained in abduction for about an year.

Raamayana shows a later society than certain parts of Mahabhaaratha. Mahabhaaratha talks about a society before marriages were monogamous. One woman having children with many different men without being dishonoured. This pattern is seen in many women in MB. Particularly, the older ones. Poor people can do anything to get by. But, rich and powerful have a choice and their choices show the trends of society. And thats why I delineated several generations of women of Kuru dynasty. So, it can't be a co-incidence that so many generations of queens are having affairs with more than one man. If it was seen as deviant at that time, then it wouldn't be recorded in a scripture. If it was a deviant behaviour, then it would be hushed up. So, it was not a deviant behaviour at the time of its happening. But, there is an attempt to justify it later using super-normal explanations. That means, later this behaviour was seen as deviant.

As the time passes by, a more monogamous marriage system is seen. Raamayana depicts a time when marriages had become fairly systematic. Even here, it talks about Thaara and Ahalya.

Finally, by the time Uttara Kaanda of Raamayana is written, women's chastity becomes highly important socially. I think Baala Kaanda and Uttara Kaanda were written at the same time because they seem to have many similarities. And I think Baala Kaanda was written after Kaalidhaasa wrote Raghuvamsham because the dynasty details given by Kaalidhaasa does not match with the details of Raghuvamsham.

So, this is the social progression:
-> society of MB: women marrying many men including brothers at the same time.
-> Gothama(DheergaThamas) and Shwethakethu(Uddalaka's son) institute monogamous marriage for women. Upanishad period because Shwethakethu plays a starring role in Upanishadhs.
-> society of Raamayana: women being loyal to their husbands as long as they live. But, Thaara episode shows that once the husband is dead, brothers could marry sister-in-law. This also explains why Seetha-amma accuses Lakshamana as wanting to kill Raama during golden deer episode.
-> society of Uttara Raamayana: women absolutely loyal to their husbands in life and death. And women rejected by their husbands even if there is a slightest blot on their character.

We are talking about origins of Marriage institution.

I don't mean to say that Raamayana was written totally later than MB because MB itself seems to have been written in many stages. Some of the stages seem to be earlier than Raamayana and some stages may have been later than Raamayana.

If we assume that Ramayana is older than MB, even then the time lapse between MB and Raamayana is not much. Some people seem to be assuming a huge time lapse between MB and Raamayana.

I think Rushi lineages are more reliable than the royal lineages. So,
1) Vashishta (supposedly Raamayana period)
2) Shakthi
3) Parashara
4) Vyasa (supposedly MB period)
5) Shuka

Thats 4 generations only. So, even if we assume that Ramayana is earlier than MB, at best the time lapse between Ramayana and MB would be around 200 yrs. And remember Vashishta was from the time of Vedhas. So, if MB is from around 2100 BCE(as the time when Saraswathi dried up), then Ramayana would be from around 2300 BCE.

There are lot of other points that I haven't touched because the post is already too long.

Lastly, almost all my conclusions are based on my understanding of Indian scriptures. Any western scholar's views on Indian scriptures are irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Actually, now that I think about it, this idea was triggered by my interactions on BRF only. It was Bji who used to talk of marriages. It was Bji's posts which triggered. Initially, I was too conservative to pursue this line. Infact, if you go back and search the forum, you will find me arguing against Bji and taking quite a conservative stance. But, as I studied the scriptures closely, I finally changed my view.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

johneeG wrote:Infact, your support for Indic Monotheism would have been accused of being some kind of EJ conspiracy. Now, I can appreciate why you changed your ID.
Well, I changed my ID to protect against others not on this forum, since I regularly mingle with EJ's, Muslims, outside, and sometimes discreet is best. It wasn't to guard against prejudice from fellow BRFites. I've never had much of a problem discussing my views with Hindus, and they have never judged my views in bad faith. :) My inclination to monotheism owes to Madhva, not mlechha.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

For Ramayana, there is a date: Rāma-Janam: Nov 29, 12240 BCE as provided by Nilesh Nilkanth Oak.

Anybody who has a problem with that, needs to disprove his theory.

For Mahabharata, there is a date: Start of War: Oct 16, 5561 BCE as provided by Nilesh Nilkanth Oak.

and 3138 BCE as believed by traditionalists based on the start of the Kālī Era at midnight on February 18, 3102 BCE. For the traditionalist view, there is support from the texts and inscriptions at least for the Kālī Era, as well as based on genealogy lists of Kings of Hastinapura.

Considering that there are two interpretations of Mahabharata chronology based on two completely different sets of data, there is some room for speculation.

This chronology is based on very solid argumentation and theories. Ramayana and Mahabharata are two of the foundational epics of Bharata, and in my personal view, one should not be doing superficial speculation based on a few words, and ignoring all the rest of the solid arguments presented by solid theories, and thus confusing the wider public, who may be less involved in such research.

Of course one can propose a different theory, but it should be based on more than a couple of words and questionable ideas of social evolution. It should be mature theory.
Last edited by RajeshA on 21 Apr 2016 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

OT
johneeG wrote:And remember Vashishta was from the time of Vedhas.
Vashishtha refers to multiple personalities, perhaps similar to Dalai Lama.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

RajeshA wrote:OT
johneeG wrote:And remember Vashishta was from the time of Vedhas.
Vashishtha refers to multiple personalities, perhaps similar to Dalai Lama.
All children, disciples (especially if they did not stick to another lineage, as their name) and descendants of these are Vasisthas too.

We have 'deified' Vasistha (in the form of Star Mizar) at the time of Ramayana itself. There is Vasistha in Ramayana (12209 BCE) and there is Vasistha in Mahabharata (5561 BCE).

There is Valmiki in Mahabharata, too (5561 BCE), of course descendant of Ramayana Valmiki.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

hun what is the problem in accepting that Vashista was one person but lived a lot longer than others, perhaps because of his ascetic nature?
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

RajeshA wrote:For Ramayana, there is a date: Rāma-Janam: Nov 29, 12240 BCE as provided by Nilesh Nilkanth Oak.

Anybody who has a problem with that, needs to disprove his theory.

For Mahabharata, there is a date: Start of War: Oct 16, 5561 BCE as provided by Nilesh Nilkanth Oak.

and 3138 BCE as believed by traditionalists based on the start of the Kālī Era at midnight on February 18, 3102 BCE. For the traditionalist view, there is support from the texts and inscriptions at least for the Kālī Era, as well as based on genealogy lists of Kings of Hastinapura.

Considering that there are two interpretations of Mahabharata chronology based on two completely different sets of data, there is some room for speculation.

This chronology is based on very solid argumentation and theories. Ramayana and Mahabharata are two of the foundational epics of Bharata, and in my personal view, one should not be doing superficial speculation based on a few words, and ignoring all the rest of the solid arguments presented by solid theories, and thus confusing the wider public, who may be less involved in such research.

Of course one can propose a different theory, but it should be based on more than a couple of words and questionable ideas of social evolution. It should be mature theory.
We have these many kings between Ram and Mahabharata:

Lord Rama
Kusha
Atithi
Nishadha
Nala
Nabhas
Pundarika
Kshemadhanvan
Devanika
Ahinagu
Paripatra
Dala
Uktha
Vajranabha
Shankhana
Vyushitashva
Vishvasaha
Hiranyanabha
Pushya
Dhruvasandhi
Agnivarna
Shighra
Maru
Prasushruta
Susandhi
Amarsha
Vishrutavanta
Brihadbala fought in Mahabharata in Kaurav army.

If 7000 odd years between the two epics then each king will have to rule for 250 odd years.

Does anyone (johnny?) have all references to Saraswati in Valmiki ramayana handy?

How does one determine which is the oldest ramayana text we have?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JE Menon wrote:http://oldgoths.blogspot.co.ke/2009/11/ ... nd-in.html

Forget about the text in this link, scroll down and look at the photos...

There was a Scientific American article long ago on this. The conjecture was metal working artisans migrated from India to this region and created the Gundestrup cauldron.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

peter wrote:
If 7000 odd years between the two epics then each king will have to rule for 250 odd years.
Or there are much simpler and common sense explanations for this, with demonstrable evidence in support of such explanation.

I have covered them extensively in my book (The Historic Rama), so won't repeat them here.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

fanne wrote:hun what is the problem in accepting that Vashista was one person but lived a lot longer than others, perhaps because of his ascetic nature?
Except there is no need for guess work. References from Ramayana and Mahabharata are clear that they were different individuals. This is true in all cases.. key names being.. Vishwamitra, Vasistha, Valmiki, Bhrugu, Agasti, etc.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Trying to be a better Aryan! :rotfl: :rotfl:

peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

Nilesh Oak wrote:
peter wrote:
Or there are much simpler and common sense explanations for this, with demonstrable evidence in support of such explanation.

I have covered them extensively in my book (The Historic Rama), so won't repeat them here.
If it is simple and common sense and does not impact the sale of your book then please do post a snippet from your book and remove the fog of ignorance!

Till such time as we hear from you let me speculate possible solutions to the conundrum:

* The king list is faulty. Actually there more kings and we just dont have the evidence

* The king list is correct and each king did rule for really long time.

* The king list is correct but there were multiple kings with identical genealogies and the one that is given in purans is of a different Ram and not of Ram from Ramayana.

* Others also possible