Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 12 Dec 2014

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 12 Dec

Post by darshhan »

JE Menon wrote:>>Well, defining 'terrorists' can be tricky in any place. Its particularly tricky in Pakistan. So, one could perhaps define 'citizens' as people without guns and 'terrorists' as people with guns in Pakistan.

So, if I understand correctly, the idea is to solve the problem of terrorism in Pakistan is to make everyone a terrorist by giving them guns...
Absolutely. That will remove all ambiguity at least. Although it seems that majority of Pakistan is already armed.

On a side note, this arms training is definitely required for Indian citizens.
RCase
BRF Oldie

Post by RCase »

JE Menon wrote:>>Well, defining 'terrorists' can be tricky in any place. Its particularly tricky in Pakistan. So, one could perhaps define 'citizens' as people without guns and 'terrorists' as people with guns in Pakistan.

So, if I understand correctly, the idea is to solve the problem of terrorism in Pakistan is to make everyone a terrorist by giving them guns...
Err... I thought every Pakistani was a terrorist! Giving all of them guns instead of swords will help them be closer to 7th century pillage and plunder paradise.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Yes, take away the advantage to terrorists by giving weapons to everyone. But, it would also require that US stops its support to Pakistan Army otherwise Pakistan Army and its irregulars will have unfair advantage.

Once everyone is armed, then new definitions of 'terrorist' and 'citizen' can be created if necessary.
----
partha wrote:johneeji,

Nehru going to UN in 1948 was a blunder which GoI tried to correct to some extent through Shimla accord which made the Kashmir "dispute" a bilateral one without room for a third party. Involving UN in what is a bilateral matter will set a bad precedent and also dangerous. Next thing you know, Maoists and their intellectual supporters will start demanding UN or Chinese intervention. Involving UN will provide a backdoor entry to powers of the world to mess with India.
Partha saar,
I know that it was considered a mistake by some that Bhaarath went to UN. However, it cannot be changed. Bhaarath went to UN.

Now, coming to Shimla agreement. I think its a very bad agreement purely from Bhaarath's perspective. I think Congress govt was throwing a lifeline to Pakistan in that agreement. I mean here is pakistan defeated. It just lost half of its country. Its 90,000 POWs have surrendered publicly to Bhaarath. And what does Bhaarath gain in Shimla agreement? Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Infact, Shimla agreement is actually all about LOC. Is there any part of Shimla agreement or Lahore agreement which says that Pakistan must vacate POK? Does Shimla agreement say that Pakistan is the aggressor? No.

Infact, LOC is being given same sanctity as international border according to Shimla agreement.
Simla Agreement July 2, 1972

July 02, 1972

The Simla Agreement signed by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and President Zulfikar Ali Bhutto of Pakistan on 2nd July 1972 was much more than a peace treaty seeking to reverse the consequences of the 1971 war (i.e. to bring about withdrawals of troops and an exchange of PoWs). It was a comprehensive blue print for good neighbourly relations between India and Pakistan. Under the Simla Agreement both countries undertook to abjure conflict and confrontation which had marred relations in the past, and to work towards the establishment of durable peace, friendship and cooperation.

The Simla Agreement contains a set of guiding principles, mutually agreed to by India and Pakistan, which both sides would adhere to while managing relations with each other. These emphasize: respect for each other’s territorial integrity and sovereignty; non-interference in each other’s internal affairs; respect for each others unity, political independence; sovereign equality; and abjuring hostile propaganda. The following principles of the Agreement are, however, particularly noteworthy:

A mutual commitment to the peaceful resolution of all issues through direct bilateral approaches.
To build the foundations of a cooperative relationship with special focus on people to people contacts.
To uphold the inviolability of the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, which is a most important CBM between India and Pakistan, and a key to durable peace.

India has faithfully observed the Simla Agreement in the conduct of its relations with Pakistan.

SIMLA AGREEMENT

Agreement on Bilateral Relations Between The Government of India and The Government of Pakistan

The Government of India and the Government of Pakistan are resolved that the two countries put an end to the conflict and confrontation that have hitherto marred their relations and work for the promotion of a friendly and harmonious relationship and the establishment of durable peace in the sub-continent, so that both countries may henceforth devote their resources and energies to the pressing talk of advancing the welfare of their peoples.

In order to achieve this objective, the Government of India and the Government of Pakistan have agreed as follows:-
That the principles and purposes of the Charter of the United Nations shall govern the relations between the two countries;
That the two countries are resolved to settle their differences by peaceful means through bilateral negotiations or by any other peaceful means mutually agreed upon between them. Pending the final settlement of any of the problems between the two countries, neither side shall unilaterally alter the situation and both shall prevent the organization, assistance or encouragement of any acts detrimental to the maintenance of peaceful and harmonious relations;
That the pre-requisite for reconciliation, good neighbourliness and durable peace between them is a commitment by both the countries to peaceful co-existence, respect for each other’s territorial integrity and sovereignty and non-interference in each other’s internal affairs, on the basis of equality and mutual benefit;
That the basic issues and causes of conflict which have bedevilled the relations between the two countries for the last 25 years shall be resolved by peaceful means;
That they shall always respect each other’s national unity, territorial integrity, political independence and sovereign equality;
That in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations they will refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of each other.
Both Governments will take all steps within their power to prevent hostile propaganda directed against each other. Both countries will encourage the dissemination of such information as would promote the development of friendly relations between them.
In order progressively to restore and normalize relations between the two countries step by step, it was agreed that;
Steps shall be taken to resume communications, postal, telegraphic, sea, land including border posts, and air links including overflights.
Appropriate steps shall be taken to promote travel facilities for the nationals of the other country.
Trade and co-operation in economic and other agreed fields will be resumed as far as possible.
Exchange in the fields of science and culture will be promoted.
In this connection delegations from the two countires will meet from time to time to work out the necessary details.
In order to initiate the process of the establishment of durable peace, both the Governments agree that:
Indian and Pakistani forces shall be withdrawn to their side of the international border.
In Jammu and Kashmir, the line of control resulting from the cease-fire of December 17, 1971 shall be respected by both sides without prejudice to the recognized position of either side. Neither side shall seek to alter it unilaterally, irrespective of mutual differences and legal interpretations. Both sides further undertake to refrain from the threat or the use of force in violation of this Line.
The withdrawals shall commence upon entry into force of this Agreement and shall be completed within a period of 30 days thereof.

This Agreement will be subject to ratification by both countries in accordance with their respective constitutional procedures, and will come into force with effect from the date on which the Instruments of Ratification are exchanged.
Both Governments agree that their respective Heads will meet again at a mutually convenient time in the future and that, in the meanwhile, the representatives of the two sides will meet to discuss further the modalities and arrangements for the establishment of durable peace and normalization of relations, including the questions of repatriation of prisoners of war and civilian internees, a final settlement of Jammu and Kashmir and the resumption of diplomatic relations.

Sd/-
(Indira Gandhi)
Prime Minister
Republic of India

Sd/-
(Zulfikar Ali Bhutto)
President
Islamic Republic of Pakistan

Simla, the 2nd July, 1972
I think UN resolutions and Parliament resolution are much more closer to each other than Lahore or Shimla accords.

And Shimla accord seems particularly bad after the huge victory of 1971.

Infact, it seems like Shimla agreement is designed to make LOC as the international border.

It seems to me that Shimla agreement is an attempt to make LOC as International border. Then, it means that POK was being given away to Pakistan.

Pakistanis are the ones still raking up Kashmir. Why? Its not about Kashmir. Its just about keeping something boiling to distract their people.

The following is Parliament resolution on Jammu and Kashmir.
Parliament Resolution on Jammu and Kashmir
Following increasing terrorist violence and Pakistan’s attempts to highlight the Kashmir dispute, both houses of the Indian Parliament unanimously adopted a resolution on February 22, 1994, emphasizing that Jammu and Kashmir was an integral part of India, and that Pakistan must vacate parts of the State under its occupation. The text of the resolution follows.

"This House note with deep concern Pakistan's role in imparting training to the terrorists in camps located in Pakistan and Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, the supply of weapons and funds, assistance in infiltration of trained militants, including foreign mercenaries into Jammu and Kashmir with the avowed purpose of creating disorder, disharmony and subversion:

reiterates that the militants trained in Pakistan are indulging in murder, loot and other heinous crimes against the people, taking them hostage and creating an atmosphere of terror;

Condemns strongly the continued support and encouragement Pakistan is extending to subversive and terrorist activities in the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir;

Calls upon Pakistan to stop forthwith its support to terrorism, which is in violation of the Simla Agreement and the internationally accepted norms of inter-State conduct and is the root cause of tension between the two countries reiterates that the Indian political and democratic structures and the Constitution provide for firm guarantees for the promotion and protection of human rights of all its citizens;

regard Pakistan's anti-India campaign of calumny and falsehood as unacceptable and deplorable.

notes with deep concern the highly provocative statements emanating from Pakistan urges Pakistan to refrain from making statements which vitiate the atmosphere and incite public opinion;

expresses regret and concern at the pitiable conditions and violations of human rights and denial of demoractic freedoms of the people in those areas of the Indian State of Jammu and Kashmir, which are under the illegal occupation of Pakistan;

On behalf of the People of India,

Firmly declares that-

(a) The State of Jammu & Kashmir has been, is and shall be an integral part of India and any attempts to separate it from the rest of the country will be resisted by all necessary means;

(b) India has the will and capacity to firmly counter all designs against its unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity;

and demands that -

(c) Pakistan must vacate the areas of the Indian State of Jammu and Kashmir, which they have occupied through aggression; and resolves that -

(d) all attempts to interfere in the internal affairs of India will be met resolutely."

The Resolution was unanimously adopted. Mr. Speaker: The Resolution is unanimously passed.

February 22, 1994
Link

I think the Parliament resolution actually supersedes Shimla agreement because Parliament says that Pakistan has violated Shimla agreement. If Pakistan has violated Shimla agreement, then what is the validity of Shimla agreement anymore?

It seems to me that Parliament resolution and UN resolution are much more in sync while Shimla agreement seems to be an attempt to accept LOC as de-facto international border in J&K.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>Yes, take away the advantage to terrorists by giving weapons to everyone.

But how do you take away the advantage to terrorists by making everyone a terrorist?

You appear to be certain that there are some in Pakistan, where the majority supported the creation of the terrorists in the first place, who are not terrorists and are fighting the terrorists - and these people, when armed, will take away the advantage from the "real" terrorists. Am I correct in this understanding?
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

johneeG wrote: Partha saar,
I know that it was considered a mistake by some that Bhaarath went to UN. However, it cannot be changed. Bhaarath went to UN.

I have a request, can you please use Bharat instead of Bhaarath?

Notice that the site URL is bharat-rakshak.com not bhaarath-rakshak.com.

Thanks!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The Parliament resolution was spearheaded by PVNR as a statement of resolve about status of J&K. Its the final position of India.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Dipanker wrote:[I have a request, can you please use Bharat instead of Bhaarath?

Thanks!
He's only trying to replicate the preciseness of Sanskrit in the imperfection of Roman script. Why blame him for adhering to higher standards ?
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

^ I am not blaming him for anything, I am just making a request. I would tend to think that even in Sanskrit only one 'a' is used e.g. Bharata instead of Bhaaratha. Anyway OT here.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

JE Menon wrote:>>Yes, take away the advantage to terrorists by giving weapons to everyone.

But how do you take away the advantage to terrorists by making everyone a terrorist?

You appear to be certain that there are some in Pakistan, where the majority supported the creation of the terrorists in the first place, who are not terrorists and are fighting the terrorists - and these people, when armed, will take away the advantage from the real terrorists. Am I correct in this understanding?
I am not certain about anything. I am just stating my views. And all my views are subject to change anytime. Thats my standard disclaimer.

Reply to present post:
I think Pakistan Army has weapons. It has created groups which also have weapons. Some of the weapons have landed with groups unaffiliated directly with Pakistan Army. There seem to be some disagreements between these various groups(as it normally happens in politics). And there seem to be fight.

I don't think that all citizens of Pakistan are armed, atleast they are not equally armed. I think citizens of any country should have the right to defend themselves with arms if necessary(even from the establishment itself if necessary).

For example, Balochis are being attacked by the Pakistan Army or its associates. A Baloch has the right to defend himself.

Pakistan Army and its affiliated groups will anyway have weapons thanks to USA. Its the others who will either have weapons or not. Its the Pakistan Army which determines who is a terrorist and who is not because has the power. It has power because it has the biggest weapons. It a circular logic.

I personally consider Pakistan Army as the biggest terrorist. So, those fighting against Pakistan Army will have my support right now.
Dipanker wrote:
johneeG wrote: Partha saar,

Thanks!
I think the correct spelling is Bhaarath not Bharath. Bharath seems to be the name of younger brother of Raama.
भरत = Bharath, younger Brother of Raama.
भारत = Bhaarath, country where Raama was born. Some write it as BhArath. But, I don't like to mix up capital and small letters. Somehow, I don't like it because I think it more unreadable. Atleast, its unreadable to me. So, I use two letters.
Arjun wrote:
Dipanker wrote:[I have a request, can you please use Bharat instead of Bhaarath?

Thanks!
He's only trying to replicate the preciseness of Sanskrit in the imperfection of Roman script. Why blame him for adhering to higher standards ?
Thanks for support. :)
ramana wrote:The Parliament resolution was spearheaded by PVNR as a statement of resolve about status of J&K. Its the final position of India.
Ramana gaaru,
Shimla accord and Parliament resolution seem to be against each other in spirit. Shimla accord seems to insist on LOC and Bilateral talks while Parliament resolution seems to insist on POK being part of Bhaarath. UN resolution tells Pakistan to vacate POK along with all its irregulars.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I don't understand what is so difficult to define a 'terrorist'. Are you guys suggesting that it is difficult to define a 'Pakistani' ? Pity on you.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

johneeG wrote: quote="JE Menon">>Yes, take away the advantage to terrorists by giving weapons to everyone.

You appear to be certain that there are some in Pakistan, where the majority supported the creation of the terrorists in the first place, who are not terrorists and are fighting the terrorists - and these people, when armed, will take away the advantage from the real terrorists. Am I correct in this understanding?/quote

I am not certain about anything. I am just stating my views. And all my views are subject to change anytime. Thats my standard disclaimer.

Reply to present post:
I think Pakistan Army has weapons. It has created groups which also have weapons. Some of the weapons have landed with groups unaffiliated directly with Pakistan Army. There seem to be some disagreements between these various groups(as it normally happens in politics). And there seem to be fight.

I don't think that all citizens of Pakistan are armed, atleast they are not equally armed. I think citizens of any country should have the right to defend themselves with arms if necessary(even from the establishment itself if necessary).

For example, Balochis are being attacked by the Pakistan Army or its associates. A Baloch has the right to defend himself.

Pakistan Army and its affiliated groups will anyway have weapons thanks to USA. Its the others who will either have weapons or not. Its the Pakistan Army which determines who is a terrorist and who is not because has the power. It has power because it has the biggest weapons. It a circular logic.

I personally consider Pakistan Army as the biggest terrorist. So, those fighting against Pakistan Army will have my support right now.
Dipanker wrote:quote="johneeG"
Partha saar,

Thanks!
I think the correct spelling is Bhaarath not Bharath. Bharath seems to be the name of younger brother of Raama.
भरत = Bharath, younger Brother of Raama.
भारत = Bhaarath, country where Raama was born. Some write it as BhArath. But, I don't like to mix up capital and small letters. Somehow, I don't like it because I think it more unreadable. Atleast, its unreadable to me. So, I use two letters.

quote="Arjun"

Thanks!/quote
He's only trying to replicate the preciseness of Sanskrit in the imperfection of Roman script. Why blame him for adhering to higher standards ?/quote

Thanks for support. :)
ramana wrote:The Parliament resolution was spearheaded by PVNR as a statement of resolve about status of J&K. Its the final position of India.
Ramana gaaru,
Shimla accord and Parliament resolution seem to be against each other in spirit. Shimla accord seems to insist on LOC and Bilateral talks while Parliament resolution seems to insist on POK being part of Bhaarath. UN resolution tells Pakistan to vacate POK along with all its irregulars.
Johnny, JEM,

The bakistan thread is the worst place for name mangling, higher standard or not. None of us named the country, but if you csnt even use its accepted name without arguing about your personal opinion thrn there is no hope for the poor land and its inhabitants.

This place, like amany others has become an avenue to showcase egos.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Our Talebs (Students of Piece full religion) in Al Bakistan have Engineering Degrees - Take that joo kufars :

http://nation.com.pk/national/31-Jan-20 ... -in-jeddah
Karachi- An engineer of the Pakistan International Airlines was arrested by Saudi authorities for arriving at Jeddah on a PIA flight without travelling documents.
According to a private TV channel a PIA engineer travelled to Jeddah without his passport on flight PK739. Upon arrival, Saudi immigration authorities arrested the man at the airport and imposed a fine of 5,000 riyals on the airline. PIA administration has submitted an apology to Saudi authorities for securing release of its staff member.
OK, so Talebs don't have dog-u-ments, but we have 15 Billion USD furrin change. Take that (5000 riyals) ju Barbarians.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

SSridhar wrote:
“Pakistan is emerging from a difficult time,Pakistan is fighting a decisive war, and we are now seeing the results.” :eek:
It was in a different context, the Peshawar school children massacre, IIRC
He said
Except for initial few months, the Karachi operation has failed to achieve its desired results. The main objective behind the visit is to put the operation back on track
PM due in Karachi
member_28705
BRFite

Bhaarath vs Bharat

Post by member_28705 »

@JohneeG. I wish to point out another transliteration problem I observe. Note that, I do hold you in a high regard; so please take this whine sportively onlee.

Most of the people, especially in the North; (as well as in the official government names) - tend to transliterate ब​ to b and भ​ to bh; and त​ to t and थ​ to th; and अ and आ are both written as a; and the reader has to use a contextual understanding to read an 'a' as either अ or आ [same treatment is meted out to उ ऊ and ए ऐ but 'e' is used to denote इ and ee or i is used to denote ई]. Similarly, 't' is used to denote both ट and त; and 'th' is used to denote both थ and ठ; and depending on context - the reader interprets appropriately. Hence, they would write स्वार्थ​ as Swarth and पीठः as peetha. Following the same transliteration method - भारत​ is transliterated to Bharat by them. Hence, you find names like Sunita, Gita or Geeta in the north; but not Sitha or Githa or Sunitha [at least not that frequently] Personally, I too tend to follow this style of transliteration onlee.

However, some people - especially from sanskrit background tend to transliterate त to th and थ​ to t; they write T for ठ and Th for ट - i.e. they add h to soften the consonant and use capitalization to distinguish between two consonants. That is fine too; but problem starts when you use half of this style and half of the style mentioned in the previous para.

In my humblest of opinions, the problem, JohneeG gaaru, with your approach is - you are writing bhaarath; now if th is to be read as ​त​; then bh will be read as ब. Hence, if you are following the 2nd style of transliteration; भारत​ should be written as baarath. However, if you are following a specific transliteration style - please feel to share that - so that I too can be educated.
Last edited by member_28705 on 31 Jan 2015 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>Johnny, JEM,

>>The bakistan thread is the worst place for name mangling, higher standard or not. None of us named the country, but if you csnt even use its accepted name without arguing about your personal opinion

Pls read thread before making allegations boss. I'm not part of the name spelling discussion...
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>I am not certain about anything. I am just stating my views. And all my views are subject to change anytime. Thats my standard disclaimer.

OK, no point in pursuing the point about terrorists further then.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Okay so India has R K Laxman, Sudhir Telang, etc. Al Bakistan has 'Call Outs'. We can also lip read - take that you yindoos. Have a look:

http://www.dawn.com/news/1159789/obama- ... all-review
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

All major scorefests in Pakistan occur only from Thursdays to Sundays.

Are all the team members looking for the extended weekend to detonate their skills?

The Dec 16 Peshawar School attack was a rare exception, perhaps the only non-weekend action last year.

Why this Jahiliyyah on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays when Pakistanis don't act like themselves?
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ No, no, no. I brotest. Al Bakistan is pissfull free cuntry. Talebs are always learning on the job. Here is what we learned on Monday, January 19, 2015.

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2015/01/19/ ... -sargodha/
“Honour-killing claims lives of four in Sargodha,” The News Tribe, January 19, 2015 (thanks to The Religion of Peace):

SARGODHA: Man reportedly gunned down his sister and her three children in the name of honor in Sargodha.

The incident occurred overnight in Sargodha area of Model Town, where all four were killed with gunshots.

Police arrested Nazia Bibi’s brother Ghazanfar Abbas on suspicion and interrogated him. During interrogation, he confessed to killing her and her children.

The man said he was suspicious of his sister’s moral character.
See, Talebs learn everyday, noday is exception day. Every day interpretations have to be bracticed.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Reading the above news, how long before a Baki kills his mom and then commits suicide by claiming that she was of immoral character and he is of doubtful parentage.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ^^

You may be right there Pratyush... We may not have to wait too long.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

If I were American, I'd find that "fly on the wall review" highly racist. I don't think the Paks realise this, including such "sane" people like Paracha.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Pak flag commands a rare respect in East Punjab.
Jo Bole Soh Nihal, Sat Sri Akaal
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Pratyush wrote:Reading the above news, how long before a Baki kills his mom and then commits suicide by claiming that she was of immoral character and he is of doubtful parentage.
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 405_1.html

It happened last year.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^And we say BRF is ahead of the curve!!!
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

We we know, carrying the Paki green passport means no pass at any port without a laser probe of the musharraf. So, what is the poor fellow supposed to do?

Saudi authorities arrest PIA staff member, impose fine on airline
Saudi authorities arrested an engineer of Pakistan International Airline (PIA) on-board a PIA flight as it arrived in Jeddah, for travelling without his passport...
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

That standard rona-dhona:

Double whammy for Pakistan
America’s relationship with Pakistan makes for a great tragedy...

It doesn’t come much as a surprise then that President Obama, who prefers contact with Pakistan only through drones, made history a few days ago by becoming the first US president to visit India twice in one presidency...

If American policy towards Pakistan was one of carrots and sticks, then one is forced to ask when they ran out of carrots along the way...One still wonders how such antagonism on part of the US — the second time of Obama simply skipping Pakistan when visiting India — helps its cause in the region.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Do we have any insight into Mrs. Indira Gandhi's thinking regarding the Simla Accord?
Some stuff here, not sure how good it is:
http://www.jammu-kashmir.com/archives/a ... 0403d.html
The Indian interpretation, as I was repeatedly reminded in Delhi, was different. They claimed that Mrs Gandhi made a last minute concession at Simla for a number of reasons.

Firstly, she was impressed by the argument that an imposed solution based on a military victory would only mean that Pakistan's enmity with India would become permanent and defeat the underlying purpose of establishing a durable peace. A number of people in Delhi told me that this was the argument pressed by P.N. Haksar, her chief adviser, who strongly maintained that it would be unwise to force a Versailles-type settlement on Pakistan. When I called on him in New Delhi, Haksar said much the same thing to me. It would be foolish on the part of either side, he said, to believe that the Kashmir problem could be solved through the use of force. If anything, this would widen the gulf between the two countries and lead to permanent ill will.

The then Foreign Secretary of India, T.N. Kaul, was, or so I learnt in Delhi, of a different mind and left Simla early under the impression that no accord could be reached.

The second factor was that both the United States and the Soviet Union had brought strong pressure on Mrs Gandhi to reach a mutually acceptable settlement. They had earlier cooperated in stopping her from continuing the war against West Pakistan after her victory in the East in 1971. They now combined to dissuade her from imposing a unilateral settlement.

Another important factor was that Bhutto had taken with him to Simla a number of Opposition leaders from the smaller provinces of Pakistan, including Arbab Sikander Khan Khalil, Governor of the North West Frontier Province and Ghous Baksh Bizenjo, Governor of Baluchistan. Some of them had been stalwarts of the All India Congress before Partition and had worked with Mrs Gandhi's father. She held them in high esteem and had specially brought Mohammed Yunus with her to Simla to act as a link with them. Through him they sent private entreaties to Mrs Gandhi not to send Bhutto back empty-handed and to give democracy in Pakistan a chance.

They themselves had entered into a power sharing arrangement with him a few months earlier and decided to cooperate with him. Soon after Simla, they helped him get his new Constitution unanimously passed by the National Assembly. Within six months, however, he forced their elected governments in two provinces out of office and, not long afterwards, put the leaders of their parties behind bars. Like them, at Simla, Mrs Gandhi decided to put her faith in Bhutto. He convincingly argued that given enough time, he would be able to bring public opinion in Pakistan around to accepting the Line of Control, with marginal adjustments, as the permanent international boundary.

Some of those present at the time, told me in Delhi that he said to her, 'Aap mujh pe bharosa rakhen' (you must have trust in me). He maintained that, if he was seen as having yielded to pressure, the Pakistan army, defeated though it might be, would have his head. -Herald Tribune

There was also much talk in Delhi when I was there that, in fact, Bhutto had a verbal agreement with Mrs Gandhi that the proposals he was making were in the nature of an interim agreement, hence the language in one clause of the Simla Agreement that a 'final' solution would be reached at a later meeting between Heads of Government. There is no hard evidence to prove this allegation about an oral understanding. It is nevertheless true that it did not suit either leader to put anything like this in writing. Mrs Gandhi would face domestic criticism that despite India's unassailable position at Simla, she had relinquished the claim to a large part of Kashmir while Bhutto would have little chance of political survival in Pakistan. In spite of their divergent interpretations of the Simla Agreement, both parties continue to pay lip service to its centrality in the context of Kashmir. The difference is that, while India calls for a settlement in accordance with Simla, Pakistan prefers to cite, 'The Simla Agreement and the relevant resolutions of the United Nations.'
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

shravan wrote:
Pratyush wrote:Reading the above news, how long before a Baki kills his mom and then commits suicide by claiming that she was of immoral character and he is of doubtful parentage.
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 405_1.html

It happened last year.
Joo people do not understand. It is all in the interpretation of the holy book. The Talebs are seekers of true meening. Mothers, Sisters, goats,... the search is on, the learning continues. The entire contr(ar)y was founded for an "experiment", a learning experience. In Muridke we have many more and the Talebs here make Muridke the best Bakistan in whole of Bakistan.

Inshalaw, one day you will get stories from here. When this Taleb completes his Talim in Urdu he shall present you with 'irreputable' facts from Muridke.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Jhujar wrote:US-India defence ties, threat for imbalance of power in region: JuD chie
LAHORE - Jaamat-ud-Dawah (JuD) chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed has said that the US-India defence ties are threat for IMbalance of power in the region and against the interests of Pakistan and Kashmiri people.
Why the anger, he wants the IMbalance to continue, doesn't he? :mrgreen:
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Bakis still do not get it.

arynews.tv/en/obama-visited-india-pak-us-ties-slightly-improved/
Sartaj surprised at timing of Obama’s India visit
Adviser to the PM on Foreign Affairs, Sartaj Aziz Thursday said that the US President Barack Obama’s visit to India came at a time when the Pak-US ties had improved slightly, ARY News reported.
They still like to flash the China/noclear flashpoint card with the US and China/Russia/Noclear card with India.

Apart from soosai diplomacy (Negotiating with a gun to its own head) this is their other favorite technique. And they think the rest of the world too operates on these same techniques. I am not saying that card flashing logic is not used or does not work but India-US relationship has moved beyond that logic. They are either unable or unwilling to see the writing on the wall.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

http://www.outlookindia.com/article/Bal ... ion/293250

The paki Kasturi pretending that "India and pakis close to breakthrough" and "modi must continue to extend a hand to pakistan"...sure, Kasturi, right after all your goats graduate from engineering college, India will extend part of hand to you all, more specifically one finger. nice thing about pakis is that even after the game has been called off and the audience and opposing team have left, due to one of their players stabbing members of the opposing team and beating up the referree, they stick around in the empty playground and pretend that the game is still on.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Another op-ed in Yawn by Nasir - IMO worth reading ... specially for sane Pakistanis as there are good points there for them..
>>PAKISTAN’S national security obsessions and the utter contempt for dissent and diversity of opinion are threatening its existence now as at no time in the past.

Alas, Pakis have done so. (Kept snakes in our backyard). And now they are attacking Pakis too.
It took some 50,000 lives and nearly a quarter of a century for the last army chief to acknowledge (not in so many words) that the twin pillars of defence namely strategic depth and the low-cost warfare via proxies had now become the ultimate nightmare, with the country seemingly sitting on a volcano.

A suicidal Wait
PAKISTAN’S national security obsessions and the utter contempt for dissent and diversity of opinion are threatening its existence now as at no time in the past.

Although so many in Pakistan raised their voice against it over the years, in 2011 the then US secretary of state Hillary Clinton put it rather succinctly: “It’s like that old story — you can’t keep snakes in your backyard and expect them only to bite your neighbours. Eventually those snakes are going to turn on whoever has them in the backyard.”

Alas, we have done so. Kept snakes in our backyard. And now they are attacking us. Whether the rationale was the numerical superiority of arch-rival India’s conventional forces, the debacle that was the 1971 war or the US arms embargo of the 1990s, the resultant paranoia made the Pakistani military shoot itself in the foot.

Alas, we have done so. Kept snakes in our backyard. And now they are attacking us.
It took some 50,000 lives and nearly a quarter of a century for the last army chief to acknowledge (not in so many words) that the twin pillars of defence namely strategic depth and the low-cost warfare via proxies had now become the ultimate nightmare, with the country seemingly sitting on a volcano.

This volcano presents a far greater, potent threat to the country’s existence than any external enemy would, given that Pakistan is a nuclear weapons state with a reported arsenal of tactical weapons that could now run into a few hundreds.

Also, the past few years have seen so much work on fine-tuning the delivery systems that any worries in this area for the defence planners should now be put to rest. Why then is the state reluctant to act to re-establish its writ and crush armed, zealous marauders holding society hostage when it emphasises the days of the ‘good Taliban, bad Taliban’ are over and done with.

Of the many possible reasons two capture my fancy, though the first seems patently in the category of wishful thinking. The state’s law-enforcement machinery may not have what it takes to corral these rampant hordes all in one go and the planned long-term fight would eventually see action against all.

For the second the words of a former head of the ISI would suffice. When his attention was drawn towards the activities of a group which was blamed for the Mumbai carnage, he said:
Abbas Sahib, aap ziyatti kar rahe hein. Unhon nein Pakistan ke khilaf kabhi kuchh nahin kiya.” (You are being unkind. They have never done anything against Pakistan.”)
Of course we argued for a bit. But then one saw there was no point as his position on the issue of this group was not subject to flexibility. That he was unable, or unwilling, to see something like Mumbai could have triggered a war between two nuclear-armed states was scary to say the least, given the possible repercussions.

The military has admittedly paid a high price in blood in its fight against the TTP but if this ideological affinity with some others is still a factor then the GHQ’s stated resolve that all terrorist groups will be targeted without discrimination will ring hollow.

Not just that. It would create serious doubts and suspicions in the mind of the public about the earnestness of the effort undermining any possible flow of crucial intelligence from the streets to the decision-makers.

If it eroded the public participation in the fight against terrorism it was bad enough. If this duality also paralyses the vital police force we may safely predict the outcome of the exercise before it is launched in settled areas of the country. What else does yesterday’s bombing of an imambargah in Shikarpur represent?

A spate of Shia killings in Karachi, for example, over a small area in Nazimabad, which saw more than a dozen murders in more or less as many days, was already reason enough for many critics to argue that sectarian terrorists were rarely caught because they had the agencies’ backing.

This was so because many ‘sectarian hitmen’ in a former life were jihadis committed to freeing Indian-held Kashmir from Indian rule themselves or were ideologically aligned to groups or people who were. As post-9/11 opportunities for ‘jihad’ in Kashmir nosedived, these brainwashed and trained surrogates of the agencies turned their attention to sectarian killings.

Their past association with the security establishment and the latter’s view of not knowing just when the state may need to call upon the services of these ‘non-state’ actors again ensures their well-being and keeps them immune from the grip of the law.

If even nightmares such as the Army Public School Peshawar massacre can’t make us come to grips with the simple fact that whether it is internal national security such as in Balochistan or defending the country externally, the task cannot be farmed out to non-state actors, nothing ever will.

We often blame global conspiracies for our misfortunes. In today’s world there can be no doubt that all adversaries/enemies work hard to undermine their rival countries’ forces. But, Pakistan a bit like its close ally the US, has few parallels in self-harm.

The one difference being the resource-rich superpower America’s mainland doesn’t pay the price for its misadventures such as Iraq whereas our mainland is being sucked under by the vortex of our follies such as the use of proxies to achieve our national security goals.

Apart from the operations being carried out against the safe havens of the mass murdering TTP on the physical fringes of the country, it is about time a concerted effort was made to stop the zealous death squads operating in our cities.

Only the very myopic won’t see that all terrorists are cut from the same cloth, share ideas and ideologies. Will it be prudent for us to wait for them to coordinate their actions and synchronise their timings? Or should we take the fight to them?
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Unless sane pakistanis go around with heavy weapons that can pose a challenge to the pakistani army, it is highly doubtful that any amount of sane advice will help any pakistani, sane or otherwise. Only more islam can help pakistan get out of the hole it finds itself in. I am all ready with free sarasaparilla for pakis when that day happens and islam liberates pakistan once and for all -- pakis need to bring their own water though, am not willing to part with a glass of water for pakis.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Also a view by a good physicist who teaches in Pakistan - P Hoodbhoy.

(Although he does not understand India related issues (IMO) that well, but many points related to Pak does have a point - Again some thing to think about for sane Paki lurkers)
(I have removed most of OT stuff from below and kept the relevant stuff here.)

Obama's N mission to India

Since India (or Nuclear related) stuff is OT for this thread, let me point a few quotes which are for Pakis lurkers and international experts on Pakistan)

Again, these views are of PH's, take it for what ever its worth..
LAST Monday, Pakistanis watched glumly as President Barack Obama, the chief guest at India’s annual Republic Day celebrations, took in a grand display of Indian military hardware, ornate floats, and marching bands. Subsequently, many commentaries have concentrated on the so-called “breakthrough understanding” that overcomes a long-standing obstacle preventing India’s purchase of nuclear reactors and fuel from the United States. Others have revolved around Pakistan’s grievance about being denied a similar nuclear deal.

Sibling rivalry means, of course, that Pakistan stands miffed. But one must regretfully acknowledge that Pakistan’s multiple internal crises have reduced the country’s global status, together with the attention paid to it by world leaders. Moreover Pakistan’s primitive agro-textile economy cannot significantly benefit from cooperation with the US in high-technology, and our workforce has little to offer by way of education and skills. And, while Pakistan may prefer to forget the sale of critical nuclear technology and information by A.Q. Khan and his associates, many countries remember that only too well.

Whereas India has put important conditions on reactor vendors, Pakistan has put absolutely none.

Pakistan must note these developments. Reactor manufacturers everywhere want to sell their products and make money first, and worry about dangers second. Profit-seeking Chinese are no different from profit-seeking Americans. Exporting overseas for the first time, the Chinese National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) is currently engaged in building two reactors in Karachi, worth $4.8 billion apiece, on a turnkey basis. A soft Chinese loan of $6.5bn smoothed the way. Unsurprisingly the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) which will operate the reactors, sees not the slightest danger.

But let the truth be told: in Karachi, the world’s biggest nuclear disaster may be in the making. The reactors to be built in Karachi are a Chinese design that has not yet been built or tested anywhere, not even in China. They are to be sited in a city of 20 million which is also the world’s fastest growing and most chaotic megalopolis. Evacuating Karachi in the event of a Fukushima or Chernobyl-like disaster is inconceivable.

The story gets still worse. Whereas India has put important conditions on reactor vendors, Pakistan has put absolutely none. It has not insisted upon any kind of legal liability for CNNC in case of an accident. Even basic safety requirements have been waived. When challenged in the Sindh High Court by a group of worried citizens who subsequently won a temporary stay, the government — through the PAEC — was forced to admit it had violated the law by not holding a public hearing on the environmental impact assessment of the Karachi reactors project. The court has ordered a new assessment next month, this time with public participation.

Wholly missed by Pakistani commentators was the positive part of Obama’s promise: he offered American assistance to help meet India’s goal of having solar capacity of 100,000 MW by the year 2022. This is 45 times the electrical capacity of the two Karachi nuclear reactors! .
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5154/ ... fanaticism
The build-up of the military with the offshore money that flowed into Pakistan from Saudi Arabia in aid of the Afghan war further entrenched the special place it occupies in the country. The observation first made by Sir John Morrice James, Britain's High Commissioner to Pakistan during the rule of Ayub Khan – that re-arming the military by the Americans "was to risk creating a situation where it would not be so much a case of Pakistan having an army as of the Army having Pakistan"[5] – seemed uncannily true at the end of the Zia era.
[5]Cited in Shuja Nawaz, Crossed Swords: Pakistan, its Army, and the Wars Within (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 2008), p. 200.
The injunction against the deliberate killing of children has, unfortunately, often been breached in times of war; the Peshawar massacre of children by militants of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan [TTP] were, apparently, revenge killings for the loss of their women and children as a result of Pakistan's military operations in North Waziristan, along the border with Afghanistan.

The TTP leaders, however, went further. They defended their revenge killing in the name of Islam, as a jihad against their enemies. Umar Khorasani, a spokesman for the TTP, justified the massacre by comparing it to the massacre by the Prophet Muhammad of the Jewish tribe of Banu Qurayza, in which children were also killed.

In offering this justification, Khorasani's reference to Sahih Bukhari -- one of the authoritative sources for Sunni Muslims on the traditions (Sunnah) of the Prophet -- carried the message that those who even question the religious legitimacy of the killings would be held responsible for igniting any violence against them by the Pakistani Taliban and their supporters, on the charge of having insulted the Prophet. Such a denunciation by the Taliban of their opponents is consistent with Pakistan's blasphemy law; it forbids any remark that might be taken as insulting the Prophet or the Quran, with the maximum penalty of death, under which some members of the minority religious communities have been indicted -- often unfairly -- and held in prison.

The Peshawar massacre and the manner in which the TTP offered its justification for it, have roped the Pakistan's political and military elite into a fix on how to refute Taliban's interpretation of Islam's sacred texts, without getting drawn into a potentially deadly conflict that would only deepen sectarian and ideological differences even more.

If the country is not to slide deeper into the lethal mix of Taliban-type fanaticism and armed global jihad, the elite need to respond forcefully. The prospect, however, is gloomy.

The Pakistani Taliban is the creature of the ruling elite, especially the directorate of the Inter-Services Intelligence [ISI]. There is also a problem of widespread pride, nurtured by the elite over the past four decades, in Pakistan's identity as an Islamic state. And since the identity of the elite is closely bound with the ideology of the religious establishment -- and not merely with that of the Taliban -- it follows that the various Islam-oriented parties and their supporters will fight to preserve their Islamist ideology.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

It is always nice to see paki civilians speak all reasonably and in a civilized manner once their backsides are being torched to a crisp by their own shenanigans...even then, good sense evades the pakistani government and army, apparently. Hoodboy has always been weeping about what has been going wrong in pakistan, but it is not like anyone listens to the likes of him or Hussain Haqqani in pakistan.
RSoami
BRFite

Post by RSoami »

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news/15410 ... abdul-rauf
Taliban Captures ISIL Afghan Chief Mullah Abdul Rauf
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Begum Beater & Cheater Paki Talk Through Mush

The wolf and the fox
Mushniir Akram
SOME years ago, when asked about China’s relaxed response to India’s security challenge, a senior Chin­ese diplomat observed that “when the wolf [the US] is at the front door, [China] cannot worry about the fox [India] at the back door”. Now, that the wolf and the fox have agreed to join forces to counter China’s rise, Beijing will no doubt be less sanguine in its response.For over a decade, the US has sought to use India to counter and contain a rising China and to exploit the trade and investment opportunities offered by India’s large and growing economy.So far, India has been happy to receive the American largesse — defence and civil nuclear cooperation, advanced weapons and technology, support for its nuclear and regional ambitions, including permanent membership of the Security Council — without openly committing itself to counter China or compromising its traditional relationships with Russia, Iran and major non-aligned countries.However, as signalled during US President Obama’s recent visit to India, under Modi, India is no longer reluctant to align itself with the US against China. Beyond the almost cartoonish fanfare and the ritualistic rhetoric about the “oldest” and the “largest” democracies, the visit witnessed substantive movement towards a strategic alliance between the two countries. India is now America’s largest arms customer; has access to the most advanced weapons and technology; will be able to acquire US nuclear reactors; while US companies are provided official incentives by the administration to invest in India.Most importantly, it appears that Modi has fully bought into the US desire for joint action to contain China. India agreed to the US formulation in the joint communiqué affirming “the importance of safeguarding maritime security and ensuring freedom of navigation and over-flight throughout the region, especially in the South China Sea”. To the delight of his American guests, Modi proposed the revival of military coordination between the US, Japan, Australia and India, the so-called Quadrilateral Initiative, which was launched in 2007 but shelved due to China’s strong objections.Thanks to the US ‘strategic umbrella’, India has adopted a more robust posture towards China.
A Xinhua commentary opined that the Indo-US rapprochement was “superficial” and that the differences between them — on trade and climate change — could not be overcome in three days. But these differences are secondary to the reported shift in India’s strategic mindset, gleefully revealed by US officials.While professing that they do not wish to confront or contain China, the US and India have already made several moves to do so.The US is busy in building alliances around China’s periphery. Apart from activating military collaboration with Japan, Australia and India, the US has revived its military relationship with the Philippines; supported Vietnamese defiance of China; prised away Myanmar from China. And it has exerted pressure on Pakistan to normalise ties with India on India’s erms.Encouraged by the US ‘strategic umbrella’, India has adopted a more robust posture towards China. Modi publicly embarrassed President Xi Jinping by raising a border incident at a joint news conference during the Chinese president’s visit to India last year. India has worked vigorously to exclude China’s influence in South Asia. Sheikh Hasina’s government in Bangladesh is a virtual Indian puppet.Nepal’s opening to China was blocked by India’s covert intervention and threats of trade and economic restrictions. The nationalist Rajapaksa, who ruthlessly put down the Tamil insurgency in Sri Lanka, was defeated in recent elections in part due to Indian and Western support for his rival. And, not least, India has reportedly supported terrorism by the TTP (which, incidentally, is associated with the anti-China ETIM) and the Balochistan Liberation Army to destabilise Pakistan from Afghanistan while that country had the presence of nearly 100,000 US troops.
Pakistan too is required to review its strategic circumstances. It cannot afford hostility with the US. While resisting US pressure to make unilateral concessions to India, or accept discriminatory treatment, Islamabad can cooperate with Washington to eliminate terrorism, advance Afghan stability, and expand trade and investment. Yet, Islamabad must not be drawn into any scheme that is aimed at containing or neutralising the rise of China.Pakistan should exploit emerging strategic opportunities. One of these is to build close ties with Russia in defence and other strategic sectors. Pakistan should intensify its cooperation with China, the strategic lynchpin of its foreign and security policy. China is well placed to ensure the development of Pakistan’s capabilities for conventional and nuclear deterrence against India. The implementation of the China-Pakistan economic corridor and conscious expansion of bilateral trade and investment should be accorded the highest priority. Dynamic economic growth will strengthen Pakistan’s ability to resist Indian domination and Western diktat.While Sino-Pakistan relations are time tested, Indo-US relations are still young and fragile. The wolf and the fox, both predators, may well discover that they cannot trust each other.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Pakistan should exploit emerging strategic opportunities. One of these is to build close ties with Russia in defence and other strategic sectors. Pakistan should intensify its cooperation with China, the strategic lynchpin of its foreign and security policy. China is well placed to ensure the development of Pakistan’s capabilities for conventional and nuclear deterrence against India. The implementation of the China-Pakistan economic corridor and conscious expansion of bilateral trade and investment should be accorded the highest priority. Dynamic economic growth will strengthen Pakistan’s ability to resist Indian domination and Western diktat.While Sino-Pakistan relations are time tested, Indo-US relations are still young and fragile. The wolf and the fox, both predators, may well discover that they cannot trust each other.
Summary of Munir "wifebeater" Akram's verbal diarrhoea "Pakis must get one more begging bowl in addition to the ones used for USA and China, Russian can provide alms too. If USA won't provide alms, we can depend on China and Russia to fill the gap."