Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 1 Feb 2015

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 1 Feb 2

Post by CRamS »

Guys, another pigLeT attack on an Indian army camp going on in Jammu, and this follows this morning's attack on a police station killing several of our boys. Heaven knows how many of our boys will be killed in this one when the encounter is over.

And of course, on Indian media, same story. Bringing in TSP "guests", addressing them as sir. And these pukes will dutifully will deny with a smirk on their faces. Cong and BJP bean counting, so many terror attack when you were in power, and so many now. Why can't these shameless bloody punks, BJP included, at least speak in one voice when a Paki chuitya is on, and why invite a bloody Paki in the first place. And now of course, there is a new dimension. PDP mofos will recite the ISI script, we need to talk to TSP to avoid this, resolve the Kashmir issue. And today, I witnessed the ultimate gory spectacle. Paki RAPE Zaidi with a nonchalant pose "advised" Indians not to fight each other over TSP, and should engage TSP meaningfully. To this one of the helpless Indian panelists said India is a democracy. Yeah right.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Rony wrote:Christine Fair: Pakistan, the Taliban and Regional Security

At about 17:00 Ms. Fair explains the Deobandi revolution against the state.

Just want to make it easy for our American readers. It's like Christian White community in USA. They contributed a lot in building America. But they kept their 2nd amendment & often revolt against America (civil war) when the state went against their world view.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Pakistan seabed territory grows by 50,000 square kilometres

Link

So if they gained, who lost, Oman? Does this affect India's claims?
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

There is a concerted attempt to break the ruling coalition in J&K. Bjp should not fall for it. Media is playing this up as state govt failure
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

saip wrote:Pakistan seabed territory grows by 50,000 square kilometres

Link

Most probably us.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

SSridhar wrote:

Link

Most probably us.
There is a map in the link. From the map it appears that no one lost existing territories but open international continental shelf was handed over to TSP. I am sure China will mine the area.

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Link

Pakistan’s seabed territory grew by about 50,000 square kilometres after a UN body accepted Islamabad’s claim for extension of sea limits.
Anybody wants to bet that this is a lie?

If it is a lie I'm going to gloat and say "How easily the Paki press fools us"
If it is true I'm going to say "Well, I'm paranoid if the news source is Paki or sickular. In fact I disbelieve all news portals at first reading"
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

SSridhar wrote:

Link

Most probably us.
SSridhar Ji :

If memory serves me right then I think India and Bangladesh aslo applied for extention of Seabed Territory in 2009.

ADDED LATER :

NIO provides scientific backup for the India's claims to extend its EEZ

Outer limits of the extended continental shelf in the eastern offshore region of India

Outer limits of the extended continental shelf in the western offshore region of India

Cheers Image
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Peregrine ji, yes, you are right. Pakistan had no means of doing extensive oceanographic survey and it did not meet the deadline. I am therefore surprised that it has been now awarded this continental shelf.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://customstoday.com.pk/pakistan-far ... -survey-2/
According to the Pew Global Attitudes 2014 survey released on Thursday, just eight per cent of Pakistanis said they had access to internet,...
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Dr. Shahid Masood makes the revelation that a 'famous Pakistani cricketer' from Karachi who currently plays for Pakistan and was also in Australia till a day ago was involved with the 'target-killer' from Lyari, Uzair Baloch.

now guess who is that 'famous Pakistani cricketer'.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

SSridhar wrote:Peregrine ji, yes, you are right. Pakistan had no means of doing extensive oceanographic survey and it did not meet the deadline. I am therefore surprised that it has been now awarded this continental shelf.
SSridhar Ji :

Many thanks.

Do you have any information of the Indian Claim for an Extended Conntinental Shelf which, I believe, was made with the UN in 2009?

Cheers Image
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Peregrine wrote:
SSridhar wrote:Peregrine ji, yes, you are right. Pakistan had no means of doing extensive oceanographic survey and it did not meet the deadline. I am therefore surprised that it has been now awarded this continental shelf.
SSridhar Ji :

Many thanks.

Do you have any information of the Indian Claim for an Extended Conntinental Shelf which, I believe, was made with the UN in 2009?

Cheers Image
While waiting for SSridharji's answer, see item 48. on this page.
http://www.un.org/depts/los/clcs_new/co ... ssions.htm
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

Social Media is abuzz with news of huge Paki army Vs TTP battle at Tirah ridge, several causalities feared. :mrgreen:

This match is more interesting that the cricket world cup. May arrah bless it to be a high scoring game. :D
Since NewsTV talks abt all else but news, track story of a huge Pak army-TTP battle at #Tirah ridge. Cobra choppers used, massive casualties
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

This is old but it made my day, discovered while hunting for other articles in the trash that is Paki newspapers. Old is gold! My heart bleeds for green pass holders coming to the West:
http://tribune.com.pk/story/98599/why-d ... akistanis/
Why do they pick on us Pakistanis?
My green passport requires standing in a separate immigration line once my plane lands at Boston’s Logan airport. The ‘special attention’ from Homeland Security, although polite, adds an extra two to three hours. I belong to the fortunate few who can get a visa, but I am still annoyed. Having travelled to the US frequently for forty years, I now find a country that once warmly welcomed Pakistanis to be strangely cold. The reason is clear......
Gautam
Apologies if already posted.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 401_1.html
U.S. based think tank, RAND Cooperation has said that Washington may interfere in Balochistan affairs and push Islamabad to stop atrocities on political activists and youth in its largest province.

Senior Political Scientist Peter Chalk of RAND Cooperation was speaking during a side event at the 28th Regular Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva. The event titled "Buried Human Rights, Global Geopolitics and Regional Repercussions: Balochistan in the Shadows" was organized by Brussels based Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization.

"At least until now the US is being dependent on Pakistan support in the global war on terror particularly ruling our foreign elements from the tribal belt and therefore has not pushed a strong international response to what Pakistan is doing in Balochistan; that may change as Pakistan strategic importance to the United States falls on following the withdrawal from Afghanistan," said Chalk.

"The situation (in Balochistan) is very serious in terms of social and economic development, sectarianism and also the completing power place of outside actors within Balochistan, it is very complex situation and the fact is that it is being sidelined at international forum. I think, it's worrying because it has ramifications for Pakistani stability, ramification for regional stability, because Pakistan is not only in Pakistan, but Afghanistan and Iran," he added.

"Issues of state abuses, human rights violations, these are international concerns that need to be addressed," said Chalk.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dawn.com/news/1170980/call-t ... d-facility
KARACHI: Serious bottlenecks exist in the completion of Gwadar Port as a full-fledged commercial facility and the government needs to take up such issues on priority basis.

Experts expressed these views at a discussion held here on Friday at the National Centre for Maritime Policy Research (NCMPR) of Bahria University.

They said road connectivity and security were major problems facing the project and unless these were solved the high expectations attached to the port would remain only a dream.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/opinion/03 ... rits-unity
says Pakistan-China built the Gomal Zam dam.

http://www.usaid.gov/pakistan/news-info ... irrigation

says Gomal Zam was a Pakistan-America project.

I left the above, and the following as a comment (which I'm sure will not be published):
Gomal Zam dam was built with the Americans per my last comment, and per Wiki, Duber Khwar was built with the Austrians: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duber_Khwa ... tric_Plant

Suki Kinari is being built with World Bank/Kuwait financing, there is no mention of China here: http://www.skhydro.com/financial/financing.html

Keyal Khwar is being built with the European Investment Bank.
http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/2012/20120678.htm

The standards of truth-telling of PAF captains leaves something to be desired.
Last edited by A_Gupta on 21 Mar 2015 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

^^ Maybe money came from the USA but the labor came from China?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

:shock: I thought that RAW-heel Shareef had squared the circle with Afghanistan (or whatever is done in such situations) during his last Kabul vizit and all wazz bhell on the AfPak front. :shock:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/856986/paki ... tan-ghani/
Pakistan 'pushing a major series of global terrorist networks' onto Afghanistan: Ghani
According to Ghani, Pakistan’s military operations in Waziristan and Khyber “are pushing a major series of global terrorist networks onto us”.{Now credit is a must where-ever it is due. So op Zarb-e-<whatever> was not just an op whitewash, it actually was designed to push more terrorist into Afghanistan under the pretense of acting against them}

But he stressed he considers neighbouring Pakistan a key partner in the peace process, saying success depends on “an enduring peace” with Islamabad.
The Afghan government has been “actively engaging” with its neighbours in the region over the past few weeks “from Azerbaijan to India” to create conditions for discussions with the Taliban, Ghani said.

“We have not had face-to-face discussions, we’re preparing the conditions for those,” he added.
Ghani and his Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah will also have an opportunity to discuss the emergence of the Islamic State group (IS) on their US visit.

Ghani said IS “swallows its competitors”.

“If you compare al Qaeda and Daesh, it’s like going from Windows 1 to Windows 5,” he said, referring to IS by an alternative name.

“These groups do not fit with the classic insurgency.”
How long before the "push terrorist into India" is described as an op against them hanji?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^ See additions to my comment above.

And even if your idea turns out to be correct, taking European, Austrian, American, World Bank & Kuwaiti financing and Chinese labor and then attributing the projects to China & its higher-than-the-Karakorams friendship with China is simply dishonest.

PS: Why this attention to Pakistan projects actually or allegedly built with China? I want to get a clear idea of Chinese intentions. Is their $45 billion plan mostly a give-away; do they hope to mostly break even at least? Do they expect to make money? How much of it is real? If this retired PAF captain has to put this in an op-ed:
Both sides have successfully built Gomal Zam Dam, Khan Khwar hydropower plant and Duber Khwar hydropower station. Tarbela Dam phase IV is now under construction and projects such as Suki-Kinari hydropower station and Keyal Khwar hydropower station yet to be built.
and out of the six projects, only Khan Khwar and Tarbela Phase IV are really with the Chinese (I may be wrong, and am searching for more info.) one has to ask the question- why is the Pakistani public being sold a bill of goods?

In my view, Pakistani terrorism is certainly serious but it cannot derail India. The two possible threats are Pakistani nuclear adventurism and "Pakistan-as-an-arm-of-China" (but reality, not spin). So very accurately gauging the economic integration of China & Pakistan is important. I may be mistaken and am happy to be argued out of this position (less work tracking Paki projects :) ).
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Pakistan 'pushing a major series of global terrorist networks' onto Afghanistan: Ghani

Aaddat Se majboor Hai, Terrorism Nahi Karega tho Khayega kya orr Soyega kaiise
KABUL: Afghanistan faces a difficult spring in terms of security as the so-called “fighting season” with the Taliban begins, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said on Saturday, adding that Pakistan was “pushing a major series of global terrorist networks onto” war ravaged country.
“The winter has been extraordinarily difficult. And barring major breakthroughs in the region, spring will be difficult,” he told a press briefing at the presidential palace, several hours before leaving on a four-day official visit to the United States.
Ghani, who came to power in September, said he had not asked for any specific aid from the United States nor any changes to planned troop withdrawals.
“What I’ll be explaining to the Congress of the United States is what we’re doing. What we’re underlining is both the nature of the threat and what we’re doing with the existing resources and capabilities,” he said.Ghani will be travelling to the US along with Chief Executive Officer Dr Abdullah Abdullah. They are due to meet with President Barack Obama at the White House on March 24.
“A partnership is about appreciation of conditions…. You cannot just simply request assistance,” the president added.The United States was due to reduce its 10,000 troops to 5,500 by December, but that number is expected to be reassessed.
According to Ghani, Pakistan’s military operations in Waziristan and Khyber “are pushing a major series of global terrorist networks onto us”.But he stressed he considers neighbouring Pakistan a key partner in the peace process, saying success depends on “an enduring peace” with Islamabad.Creating conditions for talks with the TalibanThe Afghan government has been “actively engaging” with its neighbours in the region over the past few weeks “from Azerbaijan to India” to create conditions for discussions with the Taliban, Ghani said.“We have not had face-to-face discussions, we’re preparing the conditions for those,” he added.Diplomatic efforts to bring the Taliban to the negotiating table have gained pace recently, even as security forces have launched offensives against the insurgent group without NATO assistance for the first time since 2002.For their part, the Taliban have yet to officially acknowledge that talks are being held. They continue to impose their own tough conditions, including the absence of any foreign troops on Afghan soil, as a precondition to negotiations.
Ghani and his Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah will also have an opportunity to discuss the emergence of the Islamic State group (IS) on their US visit.Ghani said IS “swallows its competitors”.
“If you compare al Qaeda and Daesh, it’s like going from Windows 1 to Windows 5,” he said, referring to IS by an alternative name.“These groups do not fit with the classic insurgency.”The Middle East-based group has not formally confirmed it is operating out of Afghanistan, though Pakistani and Afghan commanders have pledged their allegiance to the outfit in recent months.In the United States, Ghani said he expects to field questions about the country’s finances.“
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Paki Army/ISI Rat molester Mahmud Durrani pretends that "Pakistan knows lakhvi is behind 26/11 but has no proof"...what a waste of dossiers, huh? not to mention the alleged proof of voice match of Lakhvi giving orders to Kasab and the rest of the turds during 26/11.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... i-durrani/

Also, what was the reason for Ujjwal Nikam to make the claim that he did today? What is up with that? Totally unnecessary, so what is his angle?
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Chinese $45b plan could be to permanently cut India's access to FSUs.

If that's the plan, it is worth the price from Chinese geopolitical interests.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Peregrine wrote:Do you have any information of the Indian Claim for an Extended Conntinental Shelf which, I believe, was made with the UN in 2009?
Peregrine ji, all I know is that India filed its claims before the UNCLOS by May 2009 (the deadline) and even before that, it had resiled its maritime boundaries with Myanmar, Thailand, and Sri Lanka, leaving Bangladesh and Pakistan as the two disputants. The recent award of seabed to Bangladesh by the UNCLOS settles that dispute also as India has accepted the award. India got three-fourths of the disputed area and Bangladesh the rest. One important fallout of that arbitration, IMHO, was India's technique for delimitation was accepted by the UNCLOS Tribunal.

The only remaining one is with Pakistan and it is solely due to Sir Creek delimitation. That was why I was scared if Pakistan did something behind our back as it has been on an overdrive in the last few years to internationalize the issue.

I am quoting here from the IWT article in SRR
The extension of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) beyond the 200 nautical mile (nm) limit from coastal baseline depends on the ability to prove the sedimentation of the Indus river into the sea. If not claimed before May, 2009, it becomes a common heritage of mankind under the control of the International Sea Bed Authority (ISBA). While most of India’s claim is in the Bay of Bengal area where it has already come to maritime boundary agreement with Myanmar, Thailand, and Indonesia and is on the verge of doing so with Sri Lanka, it remains to be done with Pakistan in the Arabian Sea. The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas (UNCLOS-III) protocol allows the EEZ to be extended beyond the conventional 200 nm limit into the sea under several conditions. In places like the sedimentary basin of the Indus river, the sediment thickness of the rivers beyond the foot of the continental slope can be used to establish the outer limit of the continental shelf of a claimant. This requires baseline and bathymetry survey data. There are five maritime zone boundaries out of which four are defined by distance, viz. Coastal Waters (3 nm from baseline), Territorial Sea (12 nm), Contiguous Zone (24 nm), and EEZ (200 nm). The fifth zone, the outer limit of the extended continental shelf, is defined by Article 76 of UNCLOS based on several combinations of geophysical, hydrographic and geomorphological data. One such determinant is the "1% thickness formula" which is the line joining “…the outermost fixed points at each of which the thickness of sedimentary rocks is at least 1% of the shortest distance from such point to the foot of the continental slope.” The Indus thus becomes important for India as she is a claimant to the Indus basin.A crucial part of the claim is the delineation of the Territorial Sea Baseline (TSB) which is the set of coordinate points that define the line from which the seaward boundaries are to be measured.The TSB, from which maritime zones defined by distance are measured, can consist of either normal baseline, which includes bay closing lines and river closing lines or other parameters. The continuing Pakistani wrangle with regards to Sir Creek has delayed the compilation and validation of the TSB thereby delaying the computation of the zone boundaries. The Sir Creek in the Rann of Kutch is a distributary of the Indus and has deposited sedimentation beyond the EEZ, enabling India to stake a claim as per UNCLOS beyond the EEZ. This is important for India in view of the potential it has for national security, energy prospecting, mining, laying pipelines etc.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Tuvaluan wrote:Paki Army/ISI Rat molester Mahmud Durrani pretends that "Pakistan knows lakhvi is behind 26/11 but has no proof"...what a waste of dossiers, huh? not to mention the alleged proof of voice match of Lakhvi giving orders to Kasab and the rest of the turds during 26/11.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... i-durrani/

Also, what was the reason for Ujjwal Nikam to make the claim that he did today? What is up with that? Totally unnecessary, so what is his angle?
News immediately picked up by the paki papers

The link below is from the express tribune

folks need to shut their mouths rather than cause damage. It was dishonest of him to do it then and even more dishonest of him to play it up now.

Ajmal Kasab's demand for mutton biryani in jail was a myth, says public prosecutor
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chetak wrote: folks need to shut their mouths rather than cause damage. It was dishonest of him to do it then and even more dishonest of him to play it up now.

Ajmal Kasab's demand for mutton biryani in jail was a myth, says public prosecutor
Actually there is no proof that the paper is reporting the truth that the prosecutor actually said this. News portals are habitual liars and I don't know why we take them so seriously. It is entirely possible that a statement made by the public prosecutor has been deliberately misreported in order to generate more views and greater readership. The days of "innocent media reporting news" are long gone. I think we would all do well to remember this every time we read a news item from any news portal
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Seems to be exactly what Shivji said:
http://www.outlookindia.com/news/articl ... tor/886918

The scum in the media were actually allowing Kasab to manipulate them into selling sob stories of the terrorist to the media and the prosecutor wanted to stop the media (I believe this is Barkha Dutt whose panel is being mentioned by the prosecutor). Glad that creep Barkha Dutt is out of TV...probably replaced by a new creep.
"Media was minutely observing his body language and he was well aware of it. One day, in the court room, he bowed his head and wiped his eyes.

"Moments later, electronic media broke the news-- tears in Kasab's eyes. It was Raksha Bandhan that day, and panel discussions were started in the media on it.

"Some guessed Kasab got emotional in memory of his sister and some even went on to question whether he was a terrorist or not," Nikam said.

"This kind of emotional wave and atmosphere was needed to the stopped. So, after that, I gave a statement to the media saying Kasab has demanded Mutton Biryani in the jail," he said.

Nikam said that when he told this to the media, again panel discussions were started and the media highlighted that a dreaded terrorist was demanding Mutton Biryani in jail while "the truth is that Kasab neither asked for Biryani nor it was served."
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

The pakis want to spend their money on making India look bad -- JEM was right about these incidents not smelling right. They are spending this money on idiots in India, and helping the Indian economy. Stupid pakis.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

SSridhar wrote:India-Pakistan cricket ties to resume from December: Pakistan envoy

Is it Mr. Dalmiya's move or is Pakistan flying a kite here?
Pious hope of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan because of a polite listen by India :wink: .

BCCI Secretary Anurag Thakur says “As of now, there has been no moment (in talks). There is no official request from the PCB (to play a series). We will look into the issue once we receive the request from the PCB,” though he did also say “It was a courtsey visit and while having that ‘chai par charcha’, we discussed about resuming the Indo-Pak cricket. He raised the issue with me and I think as a PCB chief, he has all the rights to bring up the issue. But nothing was finalised,”.

From Tribune datelined 19th :

No official request from PCB for bilateral series: Thakur
Virendra
BRFite

Post by Virendra »

Refusal to join Saudis anti-Iran alliance (though sensible), then refusal to send troops for becoming Saudis wall against ISIS.
Now I want to see how Pakistan manages to milk Saudi baksheesh in future.

About the kirkit ties news, there is nothing new.
Pakistan has had (a lately intensifying) habit to moan in ecstasy prematurely on so many issues - gas deal with Qatar for example. There's a whole thread on it in another forum.
They would shout on rooftops the songs of 'Aya Saavan Jhoom Ke' when the Monsoon is yet to start.

Regards,
Virendra
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

80 -- Yes, count them e-i-g-h-t-y. thats a large number.

Is someone visiting?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Shreeman wrote:80 -- Yes, count them e-i-g-h-t-y. thats a large number.
A nitpick, but an important one. Isn't the number 87 by all neutral accounts? Aren't the 7 TSPA soldiers counted along with the other 80?
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Tuvaluan wrote:Ranaghat atrocity part of ISI’s Operation Equal Blame
At Abhishek_Sharma: Who is this GCC based analyst? Think tank? Who based out of Abu Dhabi would make this analysis. Sorry to say but unnamed sources unnerve me. Can't quote them (especially when favourable) without fearing that it will turn out to be a sham and weaken our general argument. Overall Sunday Guardian seems pro-right, but they need to put up more facts.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

SSridhar wrote:
Shreeman wrote:80 -- Yes, count them e-i-g-h-t-y. thats a large number.
A nitpick, but an important one. Isn't the number 87 by all neutral accounts? Aren't the 7 TSPA soldiers counted along with the other 80?
No, the 7 got their just and deserved 72. The 80 didnt get any raisins. I do wonder if it should be 8 though, given 1:10 and everything.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:
Tuvaluan wrote:Ranaghat atrocity part of ISI’s Operation Equal Blame
At Abhishek_Sharma: Who is this GCC based analyst? Think tank? Who based out of Abu Dhabi would make this analysis. Sorry to say but unnamed sources unnerve me. Can't quote them (especially when favourable) without fearing that it will turn out to be a sham and weaken our general argument. Overall Sunday Guardian seems pro-right, but they need to put up more facts.
MADHAV NALAPAT a known India-baiter and lover of all that is Pakistan. So take it with oceanful of salt and ignore the article. It is like Suzzie quoting Ramayana.
Virendra
BRFite

Post by Virendra »

Amrullah Saleh cuts into Paki duplicity in front of western audience.
This guy seems to be a very sharp, intense, measured and no non-sense personality.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

VikasRaina wrote:
So take it with oceanful of salt and ignore the article. It is like Suzzie quoting Ramayana.
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Was wondering why Mr. Tap-Pat was suddenly coming out with these articles. Best to desist using this for my FB battles.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

SSridhar wrote:The extension of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) beyond the 200 nautical mile (nm) limit from coastal baseline depends on the ability to prove the sedimentation of the Indus river into the sea. If not claimed before May, 2009, it becomes a common heritage of mankind under the control of the International Sea Bed Authority (ISBA). While most of India’s claim is in the Bay of Bengal area where it has already come to maritime boundary agreement with Myanmar, Thailand, and Indonesia and is on the verge of doing so with Sri Lanka, it remains to be done with Pakistan in the Arabian Sea. The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas (UNCLOS-III) protocol allows the EEZ to be extended beyond the conventional 200 nm limit into the sea under several conditions. In places like the sedimentary basin of the Indus river, the sediment thickness of the rivers beyond the foot of the continental slope can be used to establish the outer limit of the continental shelf of a claimant. This requires baseline and bathymetry survey data. There are five maritime zone boundaries out of which four are defined by distance, viz. Coastal Waters (3 nm from baseline), Territorial Sea (12 nm), Contiguous Zone (24 nm), and EEZ (200 nm). The fifth zone, the outer limit of the extended continental shelf, is defined by Article 76 of UNCLOS based on several combinations of geophysical, hydrographic and geomorphological data. One such determinant is the "1% thickness formula" which is the line joining “…the outermost fixed points at each of which the thickness of sedimentary rocks is at least 1% of the shortest distance from such point to the foot of the continental slope.” The Indus thus becomes important for India as she is a claimant to the Indus basin.A crucial part of the claim is the delineation of the Territorial Sea Baseline (TSB) which is the set of coordinate points that define the line from which the seaward boundaries are to be measured.The TSB, from which maritime zones defined by distance are measured, can consist of either normal baseline, which includes bay closing lines and river closing lines or other parameters. The continuing Pakistani wrangle with regards to Sir Creek has delayed the compilation and validation of the TSB thereby delaying the computation of the zone boundaries. The Sir Creek in the Rann of Kutch is a distributary of the Indus and has deposited sedimentation beyond the EEZ, enabling India to stake a claim as per UNCLOS beyond the EEZ. This is important for India in view of the potential it has for national security, energy prospecting, mining, laying pipelines etc.
Does this mean that if Indus reduces its sedimentation (can be multiple reasons, like dams upstream, reduced inflow to rivers) before Pakistan accepts the UNCLOS agreement, it will lose territory? Literally, they are between devil (dam) and deep sea, they can built a dam or not