Christianity, Evangelism & its geopolitical impact

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Re: Christianity, Evangelism & its geopolitical impact

Post by rsingh »

Please visit alcohol and beer section. Bring it to media attention immediately and do not be afraid of being dragged to courts. We have right to protest. BTW alcohol in concern was Pasang Sambal which not different from Pasang. Cheers
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

https://youtu.be/FwR4eZz6YyY?t=1381

A precis of the most often

This explains why fundamentalists are always on the attack.

You can delude some people, not all.

A Hindu renaissance seems to be originating from the South.

I believe there is a critical mass of material comfort, education, exposure to the West that is leading to this critical reappraisal. The North is more focussed on Islam and generally lacks the self confidence to tackle the beliefs of the goras.

One particularly egregious comment: SISTER ESTHER! YOU WERE CATHOLIC FROM SUDHRA BACKGROUND. YOU NEVER UNDERSTOOD BIBLE PROPERLY.YOU NEED TO CONFESS THIS DIRTY SIN IN YOUR LIFE.

WTF? How is it relevant if she is from a Shudra family? I believe she is of Brahmin stock, if that is relevant at all.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

they have hooked a big fish this time

sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

sanjaykumar wrote: WTF? How is it relevant if she is from a Shudra family? I believe she is of Brahmin stock, if that is relevant at all.
See, when you say "stock," the implication is that there is a genetic stock which has been perpetuated and kept pure for ages. The reality is that caste is determined by occupation, and hence was fluid up until a couple of centuries ago. "Family" is actually the right word, meaning, that was the profession of her family when she was born.
vhirani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vhirani »

CNN: More than 200,000 minors sexually abused by French Catholic clergy, landmark report finds.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/05/europe/f ... index.html

One Indian Catholic Padre I know who serves a small town in America mentioned that they trust Indian priests more the local ones.

They have this weird understanding that some priest in the west join the Church to abuse as you getaway with it. The believe that in India to abuse children you don't need to going the church, you get away with it anyway. Therefore the priest joining in India are genuine and Pious. :-?
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Why is it that white westerners have the right to criticize the church and it's beliefs but us brown pagans do not??
"The government is undoubtedly under pressure from some religious institutions to severely limit such a ban, on the fallacious grounds that it would interfere with religious freedom."

"Britain needs clear laws to protect LGBT+ people from ‘conversion therapies’
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-coercive

But when us brown pagans do it......!!!
"India’s Christians living in fear as claims of ‘forced conversions’ swirl"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... onversions
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Female vicar, 58, goes on trial accused of five child sex offences against two younger girls in the 1970s when she was teenager - including telling one to perform a sex act on her

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ences.html
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Copied from Pete Buttigieg & possible connection to Naxals

What if CIA, Biden Admin, India, Missionaries on field, "Red Corridor" (highly infected naxal area), Missionary Funding all comes in a same sentence? Buzz any alarm?

This is fact, not speculation.

Pete Buttigieg is Biden admin's Sec for Transportation, who happens to be ex Navy (intel) officer deployed at Afghan for tackling terror financing, and also suggested to be a CIA covert op, studied in a catholic school & admitted to be a deeply 'religiously' influence.

Pete's aunt- Marcette Buttigieg is one of Maltese missionary based at India, works from Pakur/Dumka (Jharkhand) since 40years, which is part of "Red Corridor" meaning marked as highly infected naxal area, and so under developed as well.

On his India visit, High Comm. of Malta in fact paid visit to all Maltese missionaries in India, including Marcette in Dec,20.

The 'holy' connections of Churches, missionaries & CIA is not new. There are several reports that suggests CIA used to (or is) plants & funds knights/pastor/nun as deep assets to collect intel, influence local press, and run their agendas in the "third world" countries.

The 'Mission Fund' Malta, grants funds to all Maltese missionaries across world, including Indian establishments.

It is known that Christian missionaries lure the vulnerables to convert in exchange of insignificant perks. Naxalite area is one of those 'fertile lands'. Selective govt takes minor/major steps to stop the practice, but much in vain only. In July'21 recently appointed Sukma SP Sunil Sharma issued circulation to all police st. to have a "watch" on missionary in area who are traveling deep interior to influence tribals to convert. Similarly in CG Raman Singh govt made it legally easy in 2000 "ghar wapsi' is not conversion".

Some headlines about nexus of Missionaries, naxals, exchange of favours & funds which may be more than just conversion.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Disillusioned members of cults are the most damaging to the credibility.

Sinu Joseph, Mary Sureah Iyer and Esther Dhanraj are the holy trinity that have been trail blazing on social media.

They are similar to mazhabi Sikhs in that they are very difficult to negate.

It might be instructive to review the history of church activism in Latin America.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

‘Make it a Christian town’: the ultra-conservative church on the rise in Idaho

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... us-america
vhirani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vhirani »

Was not aware that something called De-baptism actually existed. Interesting article
https://religionnews.com/2021/11/16/in- ... opularity/
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

When
The EU instructed its employees earlier this year to refer to the upcoming Christmas holiday as the “holiday period,” so as not to offend non-Christians and anyone who does not celebrate Christmas.
Pope warned the bloc
not to “take the path of ideological colonization,”

84-year-old head of the Catholic Church called it “a fad” and “watered-down secularism”
Pope Francis compares EU to a ‘Nazi dictatorship’ for woke words, cancelling Christmas
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Well the Catholic Church should be well informed indeed about nazi dictatorships.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

and the Swiss about nazi gold.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

The Catholic Church is a Force For Good in the World

https://www.intelligencesquared.com/eve ... the-world/
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

With the help of the Mounties, the priests piled the children into boats and floated away

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/0 ... -education
Agasthi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Agasthi »

Some thoughts following Lavanya's martyrdom. When I heard the news I was surprised that this is still happening. I thought it was only my school in Chennai that did these sort of things and that was in the 90's. That incident brought back memories of I and other Hindu students had to go through. Every Monday, we had a "Moral Science" class which was basically Bible studies. Our homework was to memorize the bible for the following class. If we misplaced a thou, thee or thy, the female teacher would cane us, if it was a male teacher, he would cane us and then make us kneel in the school grounds until the class period was over. We are threatened with expulsion with a black mark on our TC if we complained to parents. It was only in year 11 that we took a stand threatening to riot following the murder of the Graham staines and his family in Odissa which I guess gave us some awareness of what these missionary run schools were doing. The school stopped the torture of +1 and+2 students. Not sure if that was implemented for the younger classes. Does anyone else have such experiences in christian run schools?

And, with all the news from around the world about abuse by the church of children and with Lavanya's sacrifice, realized that I was being abused and I didn't even know I was being abused. What's up with the church abusing children?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I am sorry to learn of your experience.

I hope the next girl born in our ‘kul’ is named Lavanya.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 130787.cms
Karnataka man told to convert to Christianity to see baby
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

Another Rice bag factory - Operating openly with 501c3 (non-profit) status to evangelize India:

https://irefusa.org/
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

When evangelists see favourable Govts in power, they go berserk - thats whats happening in TN, AP, KL, PJ now, they know it may not last forever.
Arima
BRFite

Post by Arima »

regarding conversion actives, the missionaries or there handles always hang on the word "propagate" mentioned in constitution which they use as a excuse to carry forward there activity. they always equate propagate = conversion
unless such core issue in legal framework is not address, Hindus will bleed. how can this be addressed?
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Rustat hearing is asked where slavery is condemned in the gospels

https://briefly.co/anchor/UK_news/story ... in-gospels
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Vicar was free to abuse children for five decades: Damning report accuses CofE of missing 'clear and multiple opportunities' to prevent 'prolific and tenacious' child abuser in its ranks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ldren.html
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Admirable young women from Kerala who returned back to Sanatana Dharma and are now fighting against the conversion machines. They and others like them must be supported.

Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

@AbhishBanerj:

For anyone who cares to know:

95% of funding of St. Stephen's College comes from Indian taxpayer

But 50% of seats are reserved for Christians.

This is the real damage to Indian secularism.

https://twitter.com/AbhishBanerj/status ... VOc6Q&s=19
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Ha. That about encapsulates all that is wrong with India. Jai ho.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Mother Theresa was canonised for her work with the poor, but a compelling new series claims there was a MUCH darker side to the nun... and asks: Was she a saint or sinner?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... eresa.html
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I had pulled into the parking spot, ahead of me was a young oriental woman in a short frilly skirt walking towards a store. A gust of wind blew the skirt up revealing two round cheeks and the barest of thongs.

God exists. And he is my friend.

I post this here to show that a Hindu can be sure his god laughs with him.

The biblical god would have:

a) struck the harlot into a pillar of salt
b) condemned me to hellfire
c) cursed mankind to damnation
d) all three
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

Haresh wrote:Mother Theresa was canonised for her work with the poor, but a compelling new series claims there was a MUCH darker side to the nun... and asks: Was she a saint or sinner?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... eresa.html
Christopher Hitchens did a brilliant takedown on what a cynic she is and how he saw the poor/needy and her "charity"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/200 ... eresa.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZiKAeJ9mAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSU9Y2Fa8E
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

This is a must-read, must-save article.

After the spate of revelations about constant, horrific sexual abuse by pedophile priests in the Catholic church, it is now the turn of the Southern Baptist Convention (the vile Evangelical group responsible for much of the 'pastorization' of India) to be exposed.

Posting in full below.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rt/630173/

No Atheist Has Done This Much Damage to the Christian Faith

Leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention reportedly chose to protect their denomination by hiding abuse—and then attempted to destroy the victims.

By Peter Wehner
"I knew it was rotten, but it’s astonishing and infuriating. This is a denomination that is through and through about power. It is misappropriated power. It does not in any way reflect the Jesus I see in the scriptures. I am so gutted.”

That’s what Jennifer Lyell, a survivor who was an executive at the Southern Baptist Convention and whose story of sexual abuse at a Southern Baptist seminary is detailed in a devastating 288-page report by Guidepost Solutions, told The Washington Post.

The report concludes that for almost two decades, the men who ran the SBC’s executive committee, which oversees the day-to-day operations of the nation’s largest Protestant denomination, lied, engaged in cover-ups, sided with those who were credibly accused of abuse, and vilified victims of abuse. Past presidents of the convention and a former vice president allegedly protected and supported accused abusers. A Southern Baptist pastor who had been a senior vice president of the SBC’s missions arm was credibly accused of assaulting a woman, the report finds. The trail of horrors goes on and on.

Survivors of abuse “made phone calls, mailed letters, sent emails, appeared at SBC and EC meetings, held rallies, and contacted the press … only to be met, time and time again, with resistance, stonewalling, and even outright hostility from some within the EC,” according to the report.

D. August Boto, the general counsel and later interim president of the executive committee, referred to the efforts by abuse survivors as a “satanic scheme to completely distract us from evangelism.” In an internal email, Boto wrote about the work of Christa Brown and Rachael Denhollander, two survivors of sexual abuse who have become advocates for victims: “This is the devil being temporarily successful.”

Christianity Today reports that Brown, who was sexually abused by her pastor at 16, said that “her ‘countless encounters with Baptist leaders’ who shunned and disbelieved her ‘left a legacy of hate’ and communicated ‘you are a creature void of any value—you don’t matter.’ As a result, she said, instead of her faith providing solace, her faith has become ‘neurologically networked with a nightmare.’ She referred to it as ‘soul murder.’”

According to the report, in 2019 Ronnie Floyd, the head of the executive committee who also served as SBC president and was on President Donald Trump’s evangelical advisory committee, told other convention leaders in an email that he had received “some calls” from “key SBC pastors and leaders” expressing “growing concern about all the emphasis on the sexual abuse crisis.” He then stated: “Our priority cannot be the latest cultural crisis.” The focus of the SBC “must be seen as the constant voice of and for the Great Commission and the constant call to Acts 1:8 [‘But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.’] and Matthew 28:19–20 [‘Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age’].”

Russell Moore, who almost alone among those in the SBC leadership ranks acted with integrity—and who was targeted by the executive committee because he stood in solidarity with the victims of sexual abuse—called the report “the Southern Baptist Apocalypse.” The investigation, he wrote, “uncovers a reality far more evil and systemic than I imagined it could be.” (Moore, whom I wrote about in these pages, left the SBC last year.)

In reading the report, the first thought I had was for the survivors of sexual abuse—deep admiration for their courage in coming forward and deep sympathy for the pain they have had to endure, for the trauma of abuse that has changed their lives, and for the double trauma of not being believed but rather defamed.

The word trauma doesn’t begin to describe just how much harm sexual abuse inflicts on the innocent, usually including feelings of shame and guilt; self-harm and depression; flashbacks and post-traumatic stress disorder.

n some cases, healing can occur over time. Survivors can make meaning of their lives. Those who are fortunate enough to find support—who receive professional care, who find people who believe them and are willing to walk the journey with them, to help them to process what they’ve gone through—can find ways to keep their lives from being defined by the abuse, even if they have been changed by it. But many of those who aren’t fortunate enough to receive support find their lives permanently shattered by the abuse. And the SBC’s executive committee, the report concluded, had denied survivors the support they needed.

For abuse to happen under any circumstances is gut-wrenching; when it happens in a church setting, and is perpetrated by people who are viewed as spiritual leaders, who are entrusted with the care and formation of the young, it’s that much worse. And when those in positions of leadership not only fail to step in to help victims of abuse, but actually attack them, it becomes even more wicked and grievous. Brown’s haunting phrase—soul murder—is what happened within the SBC, and it’s only the latest in a string of recent scandals that have rocked the evangelical world.

The other thing that makes the SBC scandal so twisted and ugly is how leaders of the denomination used the Bible and spiritual language as weapons against the innocent victims, as when Boto invoked Satan to discredit the survivors. That is yet another level of depravity.

And it should be a cautionary tale. The members of the SBC executive committee didn’t emerge ex nihilo; they emerged instead from a culture that they claim mirrors Christianity but that in fact deforms it in significant ways. The men who come out of this culture see themselves as vanguards of doctrinal purity, protectors of the Church from the twin evils of liberalism and secularism. They are ever on the prowl, quick to identify those who disagree with them as heretics, inclined to view winsomeness as weakness. Many of these individuals have traditionally been champions of “family values”; speaking out against sexual sin seems to occupy an unusually large space in their minds and imaginations. So does a barely disguised contempt for women and an embrace of “militant masculinity,” in the words of Calvin University’s Kristin Du Mez. These individuals decided that the enemy was people such as the estimable and popular Bible teacher Beth Moore, who also left the SBC.

As Russell Moore (no relation) put it in this withering paragraph:

Who cannot now see the rot in a culture that mobilizes to exile churches that call a woman on staff a “pastor” or that invite a woman to speak from the pulpit on Mother’s Day, but dismisses rape and molestation as “distractions” and efforts to address them as violations of cherished church autonomy? In sectors of today’s SBC, women wearing leggings is a social media crisis; dealing with rape in the church is a distraction.

It’s nearly impossible to overstate how much damage these new revelations—these necessary and long-overdue revelations—are doing to the Christian witness. No atheist, no secularists or materialists, could inflict nearly as much damage to the Christian faith as these leaders within the Christian Church have done.

Many of those who appear in the report are misogynistic, judgmental, unforgiving, arrogant, and certain of their own righteousness. They are the martyrs and heroes of their self-created narratives. They represent much of the worst of religion and none of the best. And they have exercised enormous power.

This needs to be said too: Those attitudes are not confined to the SBC. We have seen them in other denominations and the wider evangelical world. This mindset isn’t everywhere within evangelicalism, of course; there are countless evangelicals, including those within conservative denominations, who are ministers of reconciliation and a healing presence in our lives. And even where the harsh attitudes I have described exist, they certainly don’t always lead to sexual abuse or cover-ups. But nothing good ever comes from them. A lot of self-reflection needs to occur among evangelicals to understand how the gracelessness and captiousness that characterizes far too much of the evangelical subculture came to be.

The report on sexual abuse shows how men in SBC leadership—they were all men—chose to try to protect their denomination by hiding abuse and then attempting to destroy the victims of abuse. There has been human wreckage in their wake. In the process, they have also left their denomination in ruin, inflicting terrible injury on the reputation of Christianity.

There are several biblical verses that one could apply to this sordid tale—about justice, about righteous anger, about judging evil. They all apply. But so does one that can be found in the 11th chapter of the gospel of John: Jesus wept.
More resources below on the SBC's sleazy sex scandals. Remember, the SBC is a prime mover of weaponizing the USCIRF against India, especially since FCRA regulations have cut into its ability to fund large-scale soul-harvesting operations in India.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... up/629954/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... bc/619122/
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Catholic priest is jailed for more than 10 years for plying 15-year-old boy with alcohol and raping him 30 years ago

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-ago.html
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

It's really just a money making enterprise, with jesus thrown it..

Mother Of Man Who Assassinated Japan's Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Donated $1 Million To Controversial Unification Church

https://swarajyamag.com/world/mother-of ... ion-church
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>It's really just a money making enterprise, with jesus thrown it..

The evangelical business model, which is devastating even "traditional" Christian communities in Kerala for instance, is entirely a commercial model and, if successful, a potentially destructive and civilization erasing one. They only have to invest, for example, $5K per individual (at most), and from then on they will get a (granted unpredictable) interest/principal return not only for the rest of the life of the convert, but for all future generations - or as long as the particular Evangelical Church itself lasts. Often these churches don't last, but equally often the convert (whether Hindu or Christian, Muslims are much more rare) does not revert to his original faith but to another evangelical church. The model is quite robust. Innovative mechanisms need to be applied to break it, and it must be and equally attractive financial model (on the one hand), combined with a restrictive regulatory environment for these aggressive messiah merchants.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Church organist, 71, who sexually assaulted 14 boys as young as seven is jailed for 12 years as widow of victim says her husband took his own life just two weeks after revealing abuse he suffered at his hands

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... years.html
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... go-to-hell

O ye heathens bear witness to the one true god’s love. Repent and be redeemed from the eternal hell fire.
Shankas
BRFite

Post by Shankas »

I was watching this standup comedian and realized what the church's agenda for Punjab is

Short 2 min clip

https://youtube.com/shorts/DeteU4ngSUo?feature=share
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

And this is why Christians in Britain are 200 years ahead of Christian converts in India.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-humanist

(I wonder if this Polly Toynbee is related to Arnold Toynbee).