Christianity, Evangelism & its geopolitical impact

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Christianity, Evangelism & its geopolitical impact

Post by shiv »

TonySoprano wrote: The Tibeto-Burman Mongoloid tribals of Nagaland, Mizoram, and Megalaya were not exactly "Hindu" unlike many of the converts in South India, Nepal, etc.
You seem to have a pre-set definition of what a Hindu should look like and behave like.

Here are some Tribal practices from one part of the North east that were sought to be changed. Exactly which of those practices are not Hindu practices. There is caste and child marriage in there. Those are Hindu practices aren't they? How were these people "not exactly Hindu?". If those practices are not Hindu practices what are they? Why do Hindus get blamed for caste and child marriage while the same in the North east are "not exactly Hindu?"

http://www.culturalsurvival.org/publica ... nority-pol
The Apa Tani Youth Organization in Arunachal Pradesh, which was established in 1974, adopted a number of resolutions - drafted in English - regarding ways to preserve their cultures and traditions. In one of these resolutions the Association resolved to "conduct cultural tourings and a social service camp" in the Apa Tani area. Among the objects of these tours are:

(1) to abolish the puncturing of the nose and the tattooing of the face, (2) to discourage the use of (cane) tails, (3) to discourage the wearing of unnecessary necklaces, (4) to modify the hair-dress of the young generation, (5) to encourage inter-caste marriage, (6) to abolish child marriage, (7) to encourage the use of traditional dress by both boys and girls (this refers to hand-woven clothes worn as cloaks), (8) to encourage cultural and fashion shows annually, (9) to encourage the community dance, (10) to improve the use of the Apa Tani dialect, (11) to encourage the use of the Roman alphabet as Apa Tani script.
Here is a Christian view of the religions of North East India. Exactly what is it about this view that does not sound like Hinduism? The view is as close to Hindu belief as anyone can get and only someone who has no knowledge of the fundamental tenets of a Hindu worldview will say that this is somehow different from what Hindus believe
http://globeservejournalofmissions.org/?p=52
The religious ethos is contained in the people’s hearts, minds, oral history and rituals.

Tribal religion does not have an historical founder(s) or reformer(s). Their religion is instead centered on earth/creation.

In the tribal worldview, one cannot make a clear-cut distinction between the sacred and secular, between religious and non-religious, between the spiritual and material areas of life. There is a sense of cosmic oneness. In other words, all things are seen to fundamentally share the same nature and same interaction with each other-rocks and forest trees, beasts and serpents, the living, the dead and first ancestors are all one.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Its depressing watching such videos even when ones 'understanding of yeshu as a messiah for outcastes.'
member_24042
BRFite

Post by member_24042 »

Lol if Nagas, Mizos, and Khasis were originally "Hindu" then so were the pre Abrahamic Zulus, Australian Aborigines, and Aztecs. I can't believe you guys are serious.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Now, how about this here Tripura Liberation Front, Christian fundamentalist terrorists who have killed dozens of non-Christians for wanting to stay non-Christian?

Or perhaps they were only peacefully murdered so they could experience Jesus's grace in the afterlife.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The Joshua Project is simply admirable for its scholarship and thoroughness. Obviously these are people who truly want to help the unreached, perhaps for entirely altruistic reasons. They have a brand and an agenda and are quite honest in their contempt for native cultures which they view as barbaric and an affront to civilised men everywhere. Which in their way is for the common welfare.

They offer a pale version of the west in their outreach such that the son of a headhunter, once he assumes the trappings of westernism of jeans,drugs and the bible, believes himself to be equal to the westerner and naturally far superior to the Indian native. The evangelist movements are subtler than given credit, they have a good understanding of psychology which again is admirable.

The steps for protection against a social movement or meme can be very profitably analysed through an understanding of certain medical states. Specifically ones that are transmissible.

Much thought and research has identified a number of approaches, singly undertaken or concurrently.

1 Recognition of the problem-it is not fated that populations die of swamp fevers.
2 Determination of etiology-malaria is caused by Plasmodium spp.
3 Identification of vectors-the pernicious trait is transmitted by mosquitoes.
4 Passive Prevention-avoidance of exposure
5 Active Prevention-Development of active preventative approaches-proofing individuals and homesteads through mosquito netting and rectifying drainage
6 Isolation-quarantine of affected populations
7 Inoculation-development of vaccines to neutralise infection once the agent is identified as endemic
8 Depletion of disease reservoirs-setting decoys eg release of sterile males into the population to reduce reservoir burden
9 Treatment of disease state-use of targeted therapy with antimalarial agents
10 Endogenous reservoir treatment-drugs that target the anatomical protozoan reservoir eg the liver
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

TonySoprano wrote:Lol if Nagas, Mizos, and Khasis were originally "Hindu" then so were the pre Abrahamic Zulus, Australian Aborigines, and Aztecs. I can't believe you guys are serious.
Clearly we have some difference of opinion here - and the reference to Zulu and Australian Aborigines represent a shifting or your goalpost. What you "believe" as true can differ from what someone else "believes" as true. Christianity forces one set of beliefs over others. To that extent the fate of the Zulus and Aborigines are exactly the same.

Hindu-ism is very much a diverse bunch of tribal faiths that lay less emphasis on a single vengeful god and greater emphasis on family, society and nature. Christianity simply breaks those societies promising a different future with the apex Christian societies being represented by the west today.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

RamaY wrote: How? You can't make "peaceful" oneliners and get away.
Somehow, this greatly amuses me, chuckled over it all evening.
Shankk
BRFite

Post by Shankk »

A_Gupta wrote:
RamaY wrote: How? You can't make "peaceful" oneliners and get away.
You just need to be aware that you are blowing your cover, slowly but surely.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

TonySoprano wrote:Lol if Nagas, Mizos, and Khasis were originally "Hindu" then so were the pre Abrahamic Zulus, Australian Aborigines, and Aztecs. I can't believe you guys are serious.
Every person crossing over from a non-exclusivist to exclusivist faith makes the world a slightly more dangerous place.

That's the bottomline. Everything else is fluff.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Shankk wrote:
A_Gupta wrote:
You just need to be aware that you are blowing your cover, slowly but surely.
You guys are a hoot! What cover?

I have absolutely no desire or hidden fear to be anonymous or undercover - just don't show up at my house unannounced or otherwise trespass on my property. :)

My BRF moniker was originally Arun_Gupta, but something got messed up, and moderators assigned me A_Gupta.

http://arunsmusings.blogspot.com/
http://observingliberalpakistan.blogspot.com/
http://thepartitionofindia.blogspot.com/

Go to groups.google.com and look up Arun Gupta, ag3L, in soc.culture.indian and elsewhere.
I'm not sure my sulekha.com posts are still up.
https://twitter.com/macgupta123
http://www.dailykos.com/user/Arun/comments
On New York Times comments, I'm "Arun".
I have had to post under another name after I've been censored, e.g., like on Pak Tea House, which, obviously, if I reveal, I will be censored again, so I won't.

I'm an owner of https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The ... Blindness/ (The Heathen In His Blindness egroup).

While I reserve the right to have changed my mind about various things over the long years, I have nothing to put 'under cover'.

PS: I bet none of you can come up with a epithet better that one I received "The Infidelator" :)

PPS: Hence forward anyone who goes personal goes on my ignore list.
Last edited by A_Gupta on 08 Apr 2015 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

That's nice.

Cults pose a danger to atheists as well as heathens thus the need to strategise over a common defense of freedom from mind control.

At this point BRF is barely past Point 1 above in the ten steps to the freedom of thought protocol. That is 'we're all going to be absorbed'.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

A_Gupta wrote: I locate the shrinking of the area of influence of Hindu culture to primarily have economic causes.
Without getting pedantic with you, economics is the study of cause and effect. I daresay you may have them reversed in urgent simplicity, per your confession, to arrive at a hasty conclusion. India ceded economic space because people got lazy and chose to not offend anymore. Perhaps they were tired of defending against a determined enemy as well. We are missing the soma drinking Indra, who tore down his enemies. :evil:
We have now accepted him as an Aryan foreigner who invaded India!

TL;DR: Most ancient civilizations go from military/political control to economic might, and somewhere along the way for those long lived examples – these two forces – military/political and economic feed each other till a peak. Eventually, the financiers and bankers run the roost and military/political control is ceded to another more capable power and the cycle starts again. Some of these cycles are short lived and others more fortunate if well run.

Independence of India is the start of one such cycle – it came with military/political control of the sub-continent and slowly but surely it has brought some economic gain. It remains to be seen, if this turns into a virtuous cycle that can be sustained for the long run. On this I remain optimistic for the current nation-state of India.

One key element that is missing in the above analysis is that, at the zenith of their power, these systems either in hubris or genuine desire to change the world spin their, then extant, ideologies into a universalism. India has thrown several, a testimony to her success, many other great powers, including the now troublesome exclusivist ideologies have thrown up atleast one in their life times. Each of these ideologies can be traced to a particular civilization and state that supported, sponsored and curated its application on the “others.”

Now to conclude this one point – Hinduism is unique among these many claimants to universalism, as it remains independent of the system of nations that have stood on its shoulders and to some extent even universal claims. This is a key proposition for me, that enables us to unlock what made this one civilization survive against all odds, and to understand its fundamental flaws. Only in so understanding and doing so can we seek a solution. Therefore the only reason for me that is sufficient to defend, save and offend for the sake of Hinduism is that it has been in broad strokes a collector of benefits to humankind. Without its broad branches and the shade provided, the diversity of thought and ideas we now take for granted would never arise and will never arise.

Hope this helps continue this debate forward. The pleasure if always mine, arguing with you :mrgreen:
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

shiv wrote:Christianity simply breaks those societies promising a different future with the apex Christian societies being represented by the west today.
You are hinting at a key point, so perhaps some background helps -

John Locke, in his "The Reasonableness of Christianity clearly says, in not these exact words, Jesus Christ had to knowingly mislead people, for if he had not done so, he would have been killed even sooner by the authorities. It is very critical that we understand, that both Christianity and Islam, has founders that suffered some duress under the prevalent powers under which they operated with some unease.

This also means that from the origins, the unacceptable was made acceptable as long as souls get harvested. Therefore, both force and coercion have been acceptable from the very beginning for these religions. Not understanding this key point is fatal to the others! As the zeal and ideological passion were taken over by the military/political and economic empires that usurped these beliefs, they themselves got tainted by this 'original sin.' Rome was never found wanting in sin, but the switch to the Christian one came easily...

Therefore, in a sense nation-states that consider themselves the protectors or representatives of exclusivist ideologies have this 'original sin' meme established as a keystone of their DNA. The desire to subjugate others, convert them and resource extract by keeping them diminished is really the propagation of this 'original sin.' If and when Hinduism and its adherents conquered regions outside India, in general there was no subjugation, but an assimilation of the local ideas, given the lack of this 'original sin' meme. These ideas can be explored in depth, I have merely presented some brief original thoughts on this subject.

So, before we present optimistic solutions and provide false sense of security, it is imperative that we understand that of the top three religions that will remain for sometime to come, the top two have shared memes of this 'original sin' (not the Eve eating the apple kind, but even more insidious one) that the third (Hinduism) does not understand and even want to. This is even more harder for Indians to understand, as many have been educated in parochial educational institutions that seemed to have imparted them with immunity to understanding of uncomfortable facts.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the NE hill people due to increasing population and lack of job opportunity are now forced to come out of their cozy fiefdom and compete with the rest of country. the church has no money to artificially support so many people. neither can state govts create jobs endlessly.

to their shock and horror (not mine) it has been found just having a fluency in english is not enough to get the better jobs. so they remain confined to retail and hospitality industry. hardly any are seen in white collar jobs yet. for this, the bible thumping must reduce and more secular subjects given importance, apart from letting go of the SC/ST sinecure mentality for govt jobs and toning up the whole education there.
Shankk
BRFite

Post by Shankk »

A_Gupta wrote:You guys are a hoot! What cover?

<snip>

PS: I bet none of you can come up with a epithet better that one I received "The Infidelator" :)

PPS: Hence forward anyone who goes personal goes on my ignore list.
I will leave answering that question to you as a homework. However I did chuckle over it all evening. Mainly to see the way you responded.

We do not need your online resume to trust you. I have plenty more links to throw around about what the Church says but do they really mean it? Do they really practice it? Aren't you are the one who started this thread questioning what the Church say and what they really mean?

My very simple point is...what you or I say is not important. What is important is to check whether our message is useful for India or not. If it is not then it should be thrown out irrespective of our resume.

Lets carry on with the topic.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A_Gupta ji.

Are you that "secular indian" by any chance 8)

Your peaceful solution is for Hindus to bend backward and accept colonial ideologies as equals, just because some foreigner tells that Hindus dont do service or Abrahamics do lot of service.
My peaceful solution is for India to ban all colonial ideologies and focus on reviving Hindu society to its past glory that was healthy, wealthy, harmonious, intellectual and powerful.

We both seek peace!
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^ RamaY, I have never used the moniker "secular indian".

As I have clearly written, the need for more Hindu service was pointed out by the convener (and I think founder) of the Hindu Dharma Acharya Sabha, Swami Dayananda Saraswati, whose main ashram is in Coimbatore; and Swami Dayananda Saraswati, then, at the age of 70 or 71 proceeded to start a service organization - All India Movement for Seva: http://www.aimforseva.org/

So, if you're saying Swami Dayananda Saraswati's peaceful solution is for Hindus to bend backwards, etc., etc., that is on your head.

As for me, I don't have the bandwidth to pursue futile discussions.
Good bye!
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

FYI, Swami Dayananda Saraswati on conversions & his open letter to the Pope:
http://www.swamij.com/conversion-violence.htm

Please note that though he terms proselytization as violence, he does not advocate violence in return.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A_Gupta wrote:^^^ RamaY, I have never used the moniker "secular indian".

As I have clearly written, the need for more Hindu service was pointed out by the convener (and I think founder) of the Hindu Dharma Acharya Sabha, Swami Dayananda Saraswati, whose main ashram is in Coimbatore; and Swami Dayananda Saraswati, then, at the age of 70 or 71 proceeded to start a service organization - All India Movement for Seva: http://www.aimforseva.org/

So, if you're saying Swami Dayananda Saraswati's peaceful solution is for Hindus to bend backwards, etc., etc., that is on your head.

As for me, I don't have the bandwidth to pursue futile discussions.
Good bye!
A_Guptaji, I am going to chuckle for next two days on your perfidy!

Sri Rama & Sri Krishna, whom Sri Swami Dayananda Saraswati worships, engaged in extreme violence to defeat Asuric empires and to establish Dharma that all these swamis profess. Their own gurus Viswamitra and Sandeepa convinced them that doing violence in the pursuit of dharma is not violence. Sri Rama killed (nearly) entire Asura race and Sri Krishna asked Arjuna to engage in War that killed 18 Akshauhinis.

So, if you are saying Sri Krishna/Rama's peaceful solution is for Hindus to engage in genocide, etc etc that is on your head.

If your swami says religious conversion is extreme violence, then how can you call me violent when I demand a ban on those religions that engage in conversions? How successful your swami is in convincing Abrahamics that religious conversions are violence?

I am sorry to say that if your swami is for "absolute" Ahimsa, he is no better than Gandhi and I recommend all his disciples to run away from such fake swamis as soon as possible.

Do you think supporting 17,000 students in a billion population is a big achievement? How many hindus are born vulnerable as it took your swami to become a swami and save 17000 Hindus?

Guptaji, you are not the first one to run away from an argument when got exposed. I will be here all the time. Come back when you have better logic, data and point.
Last edited by RamaY on 09 Apr 2015 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

FYI, Swami Dayananda Saraswati on conversions & his open letter to the Pope:
http://www.swamij.com/conversion-violence.htm

Please note that though Swamiji terms proselytization as violence, he does not advocate violence in return. He does argue that since proselytization is violence, laws against it are justified.

I should also add that the purpose he describes for Seva is to bring India together as a family; nowhere explicitly as a means to confer immunity to proselytizers.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A_Gupta wrote:I should also add that the purpose he describes for Seva is to bring India together as a family; nowhere explicitly as a means to confer immunity to proselytizers.
Can you please elaborate on the underlined word? What is your swamiji's prescription for state (not society) action against proselytizers?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

From http://collections.arshavidya.in

Anugraha bhashanam by Pujya Sri Swamiji delivered on the occasion of the 24th Anniversary of Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, Anaikatti on November 16th 2014.

Taking cue from the opening speech of Sri Ravi.N. Editor-in-Chief, The Hindu, Swamiji emphasized that unless until Ahimsa is considered as universal value by all religions, it will be difficult to put an end to conflicts arising out of religious beliefs.

Veda says Ahimso paramo dharmaH. All other values are derivatives of ahimsa. Ahimsa is basically
based on common sense based value and hence is universal. Religious beliefs should sub-serve common sense based values. But there are religions who do not accept such values. For them their theology is supreme and it cannot be compromised against any other value system, since their
theology is WORD OF GOD!

In our culture, not only the physical hurting but also all other forms of hurting – by word, by action and even by mind are all considered himsa. Pujya Swamji quoted Sheeksha Valli of Taitireeya Upanishad in this connection.

The final section of this upanishad is in the form of instructions from teacher to students. After having advised them to follow the various values, the teacher instructs that in case of doubt or conflict in the adherence to dharma, students should emulate the brahmanah -cultured
elders. Or even in the matter of simple day-to-day conductance they should follow the brahmanah.

[Sanskrit which is not cut-&-pasting properly is omitted.]

The vrttavicikitsa, Pujya Swamiji said includes even the table manners. One cannot afford to hurt someone by not following etiquette. This depicts how our scriptures are so sensitive to even to these trivial issues.

Swamiji again emphasised that unless every one agrees to these values, it will not be possible to come to an lasting understanding in regard to religious matters. He said he himself, with the best of intention and with most satvic approach could not convince others. Only prayer could help.

All religions believes in prayer. It works. Disciples’ prayer was responsible for Pujya Swamiji himself to recover from serious illness. So it works. If at all any prayer is done it should be the PRAYER FOR
SANITY – soundness of mind to follow AHIMSA by one and all. So please pray for sanity .. pray for sanity.

Report by N. Avinashilingam
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A Gupta ji

Let's not behave like "Every action has reaction ..." Or "Modi should remember Raja Dharma... " Presstitutes.

Ahimsa Paramo Dharma is not from Vedas AFAIK. Please give me reference.
अहिंसा परमो धर्मः
धर्म हिंसा तथीव च
Ahimsa Paramo Dharma
Dharma himsa tathaiva cha

Non-violence is the ultimate dharma. So too is violence in service of Dharma.
About time you start understanding Hinduism from Hindu perspective. Some resources

1/ http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Ahimsa_Paramo_Dharma
2/ Damage Caused By Fallacious Preachings of Hindu Swamis
Shankk
BRFite

Post by Shankk »

Guptaji, if you don't mind, will you please elaborate your views on the use of force to save and enhance Hinduism? Here are some questions if it helps.

1. Should Hindus use any means to save and enhance Hinduism?
2. If it is okay for saving Hinduism but not for enhancing then why?
3. How long should Hindus be defensive? Should they never use force or only as last resort?
4. Should our focus be perennially on surviving or we should live up to basic human spirit and strive to thrive?
5. Do you believe in "when in Rome..." or you will insist on being alien?
6. By failing to make Hindu viewpoint of tolerance prevalent (by force if that is what being roman means) are we not condemning the humanity to constant state of struggle and fight in the name of my God is better than yours?

Your view points are appreciated.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Pulikeshi wrote:
John Locke, in his "The Reasonableness of Christianity clearly says, in not these exact words, Jesus Christ had to knowingly mislead people, for if he had not done so, he would have been killed even sooner by the authorities. It is very critical that we understand, that both Christianity and Islam, has founders that suffered some duress under the prevalent powers under which they operated with some unease.

This also means that from the origins, the unacceptable was made acceptable as long as souls get harvested. Therefore, both force and coercion have been acceptable from the very beginning for these religions. Not understanding this key point is fatal to the others! As the zeal and ideological passion were taken over by the military/political and economic empires that usurped these beliefs, they themselves got tainted by this 'original sin.' Rome was never found wanting in sin, but the switch to the Christian one came easily...

Therefore, in a sense nation-states that consider themselves the protectors or representatives of exclusivist ideologies have this 'original sin' meme established as a keystone of their DNA. The desire to subjugate others, convert them and resource extract by keeping them diminished is really the propagation of this 'original sin.' If and when Hinduism and its adherents conquered regions outside India, in general there was no subjugation, but an assimilation of the local ideas, given the lack of this 'original sin' meme. These ideas can be explored in depth, I have merely presented some brief original thoughts on this subject.

So, before we present optimistic solutions and provide false sense of security, it is imperative that we understand that of the top three religions that will remain for sometime to come, the top two have shared memes of this 'original sin' (not the Eve eating the apple kind, but even more insidious one) that the third (Hinduism) does not understand and even want to. This is even more harder for Indians to understand, as many have been educated in parochial educational institutions that seemed to have imparted them with immunity to understanding of uncomfortable facts.
Let me take a leaf out of Protestant Christianity, which itself borrowed from Plato and others and argue for "what is believable by a human" in terms of his every day experience. That is to say that any stated fact or doctrine should fall within the realms of credibility based on human experience. For example a cat that you are holding on your lap cannot vanish and suddenly reappear of top your dining table.

Based on this sort of logic, did the Vedas arise before human societies or after them?

I am setting aside the argument that the content of the Vedas transcends human experience. That may be so - but as acquired by humans, the Vedas are in a form that can be transmitted from human to human. This means that human societies either existed before humans acquired the Vedas, or the Vedas were developed pari passu with human societies. The content of the Vedas, as interpreted and expounded in the Upanishads and Vedanta are well known to us and put simply they are guidelines for human behaviour based on a theory of the origin of all existence from a unitary source.

Curiously, even in the absence of a source such as the Vedas and Upanishads, many tribal societies around the world have come up with ways of viewing the world that are similar to the Hindu view. And these views, in summary do not posit a single God or a single Prophet who gave them laws. These societies already have developed laws and morality. They have Gods as well. Morality and social behaviour are not placed as a hierarchical system that has God at the apex, sitting above everything else and handing down a code of behaviour to humans that the God need not follow. The code of human and social behaviour exists separate from and parallel to God. In this way Hindu-ism is similar to ancient tribal belief systems and vice versa. In Hindu tradition this code of behaviour as expounded in the Vedas is called "Dharma". Someone mentioned the Vedas as saying "Ahimsa paramo dharma". This is an example of a moral code for humans that is absolute and not claimed to be coming from God or a holy book dictated by God. Ultimately Gods are expected to uphold these moral codes, but I digress.

In contrast to Hindu theory and the beliefs of tribal religions (many of which have been wiped out in Europe and Africa by Christianity and Islam but have been allowed to survive untouched in North East India), both Christianity and Islam are political systems. They seek to organize society under laws that are purportedly handed down by a God who is above those laws and created those laws for humans. In terms of rationality and human experience this is laughable nonsense. Who or where is this God fellow who excuses himself from the laws he lays down for others. Sounds like a corrupt politician to me - and that is exactly where the system comes from.

Christianity (and Islam, but the latter is OT for this thread) starts with the assumption that there is a God. That is the first law. Questioning this law can cause you to be put to death (by a human) because it is termed "blasphemy". The first rule starts with coercion and coercion means that the person who enforces the rule needs to have physical power over the person upon whom the rule is imposed. Once the existence of this God is forced down you throat - all laws that purportedly come from this God can then be pushed through using the same system of coercion. This system is given the name "religion" but that is actually a political organization - using a religious oligarchy who claim to implement orders of a mythical monarch called "God"

Now here is where the beautiful paragraph you wrote above comes into play:
You wrote:
Pulikeshi wrote:..says, in not these exact words, Jesus Christ had to knowingly mislead people, for if he had not done so, he would have been killed even sooner by the authorities. It is very critical that we understand, that both Christianity and Islam, has founders that suffered some duress under the prevalent powers under which they operated with some unease.
The problem expressed by this paragraph is exactly the same pressure that was faced by Hindu thinkers after the Islamic and Christian colonial invasions. As you wrote "the unacceptable has been made acceptable". Hindus as prominent as Vivekananda have been forced to admit more similarities between Hindu-ism "the religion" than there actually exist. Hindus have been forced to admit that there is an equivalence between the Christian and Islamic concept of "God" and the Hindu concept of "Brahman". Hindus have been forced to accept that their beliefs come from some Holy book or a set of Holy books that lay down the law. That is not true. There is no single Hindu law book. Hindus have moral principles (dharma) to be followed by humans. Hindus have no law-book handed by god (like the Bible) to be implemented by punishment and coercion by a clergy called "brahmins". Hindus have been forced to admit that they have a priestly class like Mullahs and Padres called Brahmins who make take rules from their god and give it to others. Nothing could be a worse corruption of the Hindu system than this, but even top Hindu thinkers have been forced by the circumstances of subjugation to draw all these fake parallels between Hindu-ism and the religions.

So we find now that the vast mass of Hindus think that they have a monolithic "religion", a single God just like the christian God, a set of Holy books and a corrupt clergy who need to be dismissed and Hindu society needing reform to be like the benevolent Christians.

Hindu practice in the past always revolved around dharma. Dharma is a set of ethics and recommendations of human behavior to hold society together with or without God. The principles of dharma are expounded in the Vedas, explained in the Upanishads and in the Hindu epics. But we have discarded that. We have forgotten that there is a Hindu system for holding society based on family and environment. Hinduism has already been made into a copycat version of Christianity - but it lacks the purity and goodness of Christianity because Hindus have convinced themselves that their "religion" has bad bad caste unlike the egalitarian religions. Hindus are not smart enough to realize that there is no "caste" in the "Hindu religion". There is no Hindu religion. There is only Hindu dharma. There is no written book that must be followed that set ideas like caste or sati or child marriage in stone and "Hindu laws"

Hindus don't even know this - that is how far Hindus have sunk. From this level the only way out is to use coercion and violence because Hindu dharma requires too much intelligence and the Twitter generation will not understand philosophy. But they will understand coercion. Like everyone else.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Secularism is when you seek to protect, insulate and exempt your single God and his law book from the laws that everyone else needs to follow.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

shiv wrote: From this level the only way out is to use coercion and violence because Hindu dharma requires too much intelligence and the Twitter generation will not understand philosophy. But they will understand coercion. Like everyone else.
+1

You nail it right... but on your conclusion, perhaps there is another way... What Hindus/India has never done correctly is to identify the source and deplete its resources... This means, the target should be the lonely, the disenchanted, the disillusioned in the West and Middle-East and elsewhere who can then bring the battle to others in their realm. Those hell bent on environmental degradation, teetering between the bland homogeneity desired by monotheism and the confused mess of a multiculturalism that does not work should have an internal challenger.

The India introverted self healing is almost a complete lost cause. Violence or otherwise, it is time to look out not in. If the youth of India are channeled in doing this... there are many other positive externalities that come with it. That said, there will be blowback to the mother culture, but ex nihilo nihil fit in this case is appropriate... A small group can make a lot of difference in this cause...

Sad to say, if you get the outsiders, in the current state of India/Hindus, the masses will follow... Desis follow Goras... or some such lowly analysis is all it takes.. This does not mean, there is'nt some room for robust defense and limited violence to protect the cause inside India.

Perhaps unpalatable truth, but it is truth nevertheless.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Pulikeshi wrote: Sad to say, if you get the outsiders, in the current state of India/Hindus, the masses will follow... Desis follow Goras... or some such lowly analysis is all it takes.. This does not mean, there is'nt some room for robust defense and limited violence to protect the cause inside India.

Perhaps unpalatable truth, but it is truth nevertheless.
This is exactly what that Jaggi Vasudev has said and many such people are doing. They are taking Gora-route to reintroduce Yoga to India and it is working.

Another aspect is Chatinya mission like people who are focussing on NRIs and hopefully it will have some impact back home. I had tears in my eyes listening to their pledge read in Sanskrutam.

Violence need not mean only physical coercion and fight. It can also be done by banning anti-Indic ideologies from the land and leave the choice to the other side. A strategy used by Durga when she faced Mahishasur. Her condition was simple "Submit to my feet or fight me". Mahisha's counter offer was "marry me and we will rule together". Today's Abrahamics are giving Mahishasur offer to Indians and our half-brains think it is development.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

There is a very targeted campaign by the evangelical crowd to attack the current govt.

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/For-Just ... 33936.html
Bangkok (AsiaNews) - India is going through a "national crisis on account of the ruling [Hindu nationalist] party’s past record and its propensity for engineering communal riots targeting religious minorities. There is a growing widespread and well-strategized move to rubbish and suppress the religious freedom of the religious minorities in the country,” said Fr Charles Irudayam, in his address to the international conference on ‘Peace and reconciliation in the context of Asia.’
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Why is it that when you want to have a dialogue with a Christian, he immediately assumes the missionary position?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

shiv wrote:
Hindus don't even know this - that is how far Hindus have sunk. From this level the only way out is to use coercion and violence because Hindu dharma requires too much intelligence and the Twitter generation will not understand philosophy. But they will understand coercion. Like everyone else.
As libertarians will tell you, law is coercion. Anti-proselytization laws are needed.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

A_Gupta wrote:
shiv wrote:
As libertarians will tell you, law is coercion. Anti-proselytization laws are needed.
+1001. A rather special version of "Anti-proselytization" laws are, IMVHO, the way forward and the first step for that would be to define what "secular" means in the preamble of the constitution.

I would define "secularism" in an Indic way: There are many paths to the truth, they all co-exist and therefore one must respect any person's chosen path so long as the other person does the same. i.e. If one chooses a path that involves disruption of another person's chosen path, it is in violation of that person's civil rights provided by the constitution.

It also means that one's choice of the path to follow is an extremely private matter and must be an inviolable right. If one must change path's, it must solely be on one's choice and not under any influence however subtle (let alone involving coercion). Any attempt to proselytize must be seen as a violation of this privacy granted by the constitution.

In light of that, anyone who induces a person into changing paths by claiming that the current path is false OR chooses to influence a person in any way or form to change the path that person is following must be held liable for violating constitutional rights of another human being.

The constitution has the tools to screw exclusivists many times over. We need to implement laws that protect that constitutional rights of the citizens.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

LokeshC garu,

:rotfl: Why do we need to define "Secularism"? Throw it into the trash it belongs.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

We dont need to bring it in if it was not there in the first place.

The problem is, the abstract word secularism was inserted in that document when CON party went from Stupid (under Banditji) to Corrupt (under Indira).
So we have to choices for the medium term :-
1) we can fight it (which is what we have been doing so far).
2) We can use it to our advantage (which is what the exclusivists and the presstitutes have been doing so far).

Third remote choice (remote due to political scenario):
3) Remove it altogether.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

LokeshC garu,

Pls visit Secularism thread...
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

Pew Report: Alarm Bells For Indic Religions

http://swarajyamag.com/politics/pew-rep ... religions/

Yang calculates the proportion of China’s population that is Christian could grow from 5% in 2010 to 67% in 2050.”
However what is really amusing about the Pew report is what it says about conversions in India. With regard to ‘religious switching’ in India it states:

“Data unavailable; no religious switching modelled in main projection scenario.”

In other words, despite the missionary groups well connected with US working in India, and despite ‘Project Joshua’ providing a detailed on-line database, despite World Vision working so meticulously, Pew feigns ignorance and data unavailability with regard to conversions in India. Pew has experts who can predict Christanization of Communist China but has data insufficiency with regard to democratic India. China is all together a different ball game. It has been rumoured for long that an influential section of Chinese politburo are favourably inclined towards Christianity despite occasional reports of official ‘persecution’.

The fact is simple: The report is not Hindu-oriented (which it need not be) and is neither non-partisan. It has a clear pro-Western pro-Christian bias. It does not want Christian conversion projects in India to get into bad press or trouble.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

A_Gupta wrote:
shiv wrote:
All law is coercion.

In fact a comment made by Prof Jakob at a meeting addressed by him and Balu was that they are working on a hypothesis that goes against a common sociological assumption. The hypothesis is that not all societies developed with laws. I would tend to agree with this. Hindu society developed without firm coercive laws and laws were laid down later by various rulers. The important thing here is that there is no "law-imposing God" waving his rulebook in Hindu tradition or literature.

The confusion of "double leadership" biarchy that can exist by having two parallel rule books can be seen in Islam today in which post colonial nation-states like Pakistan cannot decide on whether they should have sharia alone, (given by God LOL!) or a another constitution or a mix of both.

Christianity muddled through this paradox by a series of wars in Europe after which they settled on two rule books - the Bible and a secular national constitution in which the powers and the reach of each rule book was decided by negotiation. Unfortunately when you mix Islam and Hindu dharma in this you get nonsense because the Bible is one rule book imposing one set of laws, Islam follows a different set of laws and Hindu dharma is a moral code that is trodden upon both by Christian and Islamic laws.

Yes, Anti proselytization laws are needed. Proselytization is a society breaker and a rabble rousing provocateur of conflict. Allowing unchecked proselytization is allowing one set of religions laws to operate in an environment that pretends to be secular. Unfortunately Indian law makers are currently too stupid or not educated well enough to understand all this. But it must be understood at least by people before the information can be drilled into the heads of our profoundly ignorant political and bureaucratic class.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

shiv wrote:In fact a comment made by Prof Jakob at a meeting addressed by him and Balu was that they are working on a hypothesis that goes against a common sociological assumption. The hypothesis is that not all societies developed with laws. I would tend to agree with this. Hindu society developed without firm coercive laws and laws were laid down later by various rulers. The important thing here is that there is no "law-imposing God" waving his rulebook in Hindu tradition or literature.
This post is nit pick.
I would phrase it the following way based on my understanding. Hindu society developed with the help of law or dharma shastras. As per hindu tradition these laws or shastras have existed for as long as Hindu memory goes. These shastras were enforced and evolved with the evolution of society itself. These shastras or laws were sourced to eternal principles, values and objectives of Human life as expounded in works such as the Vedas, Upanishads, Jaina and Buddhist works etc. The seers who composed/understood these vedas and some other texts, had multiple approaches to the understanding of creator and creations. From a singular dimension to multi dimensional creator, to no creator or dimension of the creator or a silence about the creator.

The point is, I agree with the last sentence, there there was no "law-imposing God", however it would be wrong to say Hindu society developed without the help of firm laws. I would argue for the opposite. Hindu society is one of the most law/dharma abiding societies on earth, although our evolution, practices and implementation of these laws/shastras worked differently from the European experience. These differences can be sourced to its foundational differences, where one society got its laws from an all controlling creator and the other through observations in nature and deliberations and evolution of society.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Couple of quick quizzical comments:

1. For those arguing Anti proselytization laws are needed - it is inconsistent to argue that Hindu society developed without laws, but its survival now depends on laws. Even if Christianity and Islam caused this brain damage... the argument is still inconsistent and detrimental in the long run.

2. For those arguing Anti proselytization laws are needed - the word proselytize means "advocate or promote (a belief or course of action)." How exactly does a system (Hinduism) that enables argumentation between 'truth claimants' reduce itself to prevent 'truth claimants' to make claims? If you do not understand this, then I dare say, you do not understand the very foundation of Hinduism. The intolerance of 'truth claimants' need not be tolerated, but to argue that the 'truth claimants' cannot even make their claims is ridiculous.

3. For those arguing Anti proselytization laws are needed - Do not in the same vein argue for the Government to get out of running Hindu temples, or ask for a common civil code, etc. Please stop confusing yourself and others.

4. Law as it is understood today - there is 'natural law' and there is 'common law' and some of you science types may be aware of 'laws of nature' - There is also 'supernatural law' which clearly needs a entity that is supernatural... but these are semantics. The problem to date is that there is no clear foundational validation of what 'natural law' is, worrisome, given most other (except supernatural) laws are based upon it.. The problems of foundational validation do not exist for Hindu idea of law - I leave it as an exercise to the reader to find out why - if interested read Kumarila Bhatta and other authors who have not been refuted epistemologically by any other 'truth claimant' since those works :-)

5. Finally, I've pointed out several times it will be a hard trade off between nation-state and civilization. EJ and Islamist pressures are serious challenges to both civilization and nation-state - those arguing Anti proselytization laws, may even get it and perhaps save the nation-state for a while, but totally destroy the civilization by causing it to be on artificial life support from the nation-state. The road to hell paved with good intentions and all that... on the other hand, if you truly care about Hinduism and all it stands for, choose the civilization it is the only reason you have survived.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

ShauryaT - Good response... +1