Op Raahat : The Great Indian Rescue (Pictures and News)

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Jaeger
BRFite

Re: Op Raahat : The Great Indian Rescue (Pictures and News)

Postby Jaeger » 09 Apr 2015 17:35

Err. They make the resources happen. Pawning jewellery, borrowing from moneylenders, family, etc. etc. This is their one chance out. Alternatively, the "agents" in connivance with the local Gulf contacts ensure that their salaries are effectively gouged for as long as possible while they're there.

The gratitude I agree with, but I'm also aware that when you're living that close to the survival line, the niceties of life are often the first casualty. /OT.

rsingh
BRF Oldie

Postby rsingh » 09 Apr 2015 18:38

Suraj wrote:
SwamyG wrote:Courtesy: Hindustan Times.

I wonder what's the story about the SDRE guy with the TSP flag on the left wearing communal Hindu garland.

It is in KaaaaaaraaaaaaaCHHHHHIIIII.

JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Postby JE Menon » 09 Apr 2015 18:51

>>A little empathy goes a long way, is what I'm saying.

This is correct, and to an extent the right way to view it I would think. We don't know the circumstances. This is why I said, "if true".

It is entirely possible they were just expressing their loss, as our people are wont to do now and then, not necessarily demanding that GoI pays it out or anything. These are often very poor people, heavily indebted because of the money they paid to job agents, and so on. It's a harsh life.

Anyways, please move on and focus on Op Raahat rather than speculating on the gratitude or lack of it of the people being rescued...

shiv
BRF Oldie

Postby shiv » 09 Apr 2015 19:45

I don't think those nurses informed any BRFites that they want 2 months salary. The report has come via a presstitute and needs to be taken as such. The press are neither unbiased nor fair, and they make their money by grabbing eyeballs and posting sensational news that is different from the "breaking news" on every channel/portal.

We have to be careful about all news reports. Nothing that is reported is necessarily shown as as it really is. The reporter has a job of saying something that grabs attention. The nurse news is exactly that. It does not matter if it is false, or if exactly one out of 200 nurses has said that. Once it grabs eyeballs and starts "trending" on Twitter or fb the channel gets into the game of denials or airing of interbiews and panel discussions.

So please folks - be cautious about what you believe

Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Postby Mukesh.Kumar » 09 Apr 2015 20:00

KLNMurthy wrote:A It is tough work getting those passports out of the Employer's hands. Hence, specially in the Middle East, a lot of expats are stuck despite wanting to leave.

KLMN: passports are not necessary. During our corporate Disaster Recovery Plan, we had conducted embassies. Pakistani, Egyptian and Indian embassies clearly assured us passports won't matter in such cases. Any embassy will issue emergency travel papers. It maybe an altogether different thing that people may not be aware of this fact.

KLNMurthy wrote:I realize that making people pay for extraordinary protection by their government detracts from the warm fuzzy feeling we are all experiencing now, and makes the people-govermint relationship more transactional. I think that's not altogether a bad thing.

In fact this maybe a better chance to recruit 'sympathetic' people. Given this overflow of feelings, we could shortlist people who have access. Just thinking out aloud, instead of cash what if we get sundry people who report matters of interest to the embassies. A VIP's cook, a driver in the armed forces, a cleaner from barracks, someone who works low down in construction.

Don't do it with everyone, but do it like the Chinese do who debrief large amounts of business and leisure tourists. Information is just out there. All we need is to ehar from the ground up.

pankajs
BRF Oldie

Postby pankajs » 09 Apr 2015 21:14

Syed Akbaruddin ‏@MEAIndia 12m12 minutes ago

1/2 The entire evacuation effort has resulted in the evacuation of over 5600 persons...
Syed Akbaruddin ‏@MEAIndia 15m15 minutes ago

2/2 ... These include over 4640 Indian nationals and about 960 foreign nationals from 41 countries.

Sachin
Webmaster BR

Postby Sachin » 09 Apr 2015 21:30

Dilbu wrote:In fact some of the keralite nurses in Yemen were claiming that their passports are with hospital. GOI then took care of it and said forget the passport and come to the ship. Then the nurses started demanding 2 month's salary pending with the employer before they will leave Yemen.

Singha wrote:they should act like adults and not spoilt brats. they will scale back demands if some lawless militia catches and tears apart a few of them but it will be too late then

I may be playing a spoil-sport here. But let me tell you, Kerala is going to be another Kashmir if this false pride of 100% literacy and sense of entitlement is not curtailed. I don't think the Keralites (as a society) has the ball$ to pick up arms and start terrorist attacks, but they would all act uppity and "intellectual" and try to make a problem using non-violent means.

Jaeger wrote: but I have to wonder what were the conditions at home that they would travel to a place like Yemen to work in the first place? These people pay obscene amounts to "Job Agents" to get their jobs and probably spend their first few years earnings just paying that off. Two months back salary means a lot when you've got a family to take care of and no source of income in the foreseeable future.

Today if an IT engineer recruit who paid Rs. 2 lakh as some kind of a donation to get a "job", gets kicked out will we even raise this question? Every body has a family to take care, sir! The Indian Government is trying to save their lives from a place which is risky for them to even live!! But if the Mallu nurses and other 100% literate intellectuals wants some guaranteed source of income along with a free travel home, they should take up some other job. Government of India is going out of its way to help people come back and save their lives. If Malayalis have a better solution in mind, they should work out a plan themselves. They can even send the "brave" communist comrades from Kannur who can throw crude bombs at Houthi rebels and rescue the "damsels in distress". Or the Indian National Congress folks and Ooman Chandy can "direct" the Houthi rebels to just send back all the Malayali crowd out there.

Kashi wrote:A little empathy goes along way indeed, so does a little gratitude.

100% literate and "well educated" saar, what to do :roll:. If the GoI would pay them Rs.10,000 for sitting at home doing nothing they would collect the money and the very next day still start cribbing.

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Postby SwamyG » 09 Apr 2015 22:08

Yemen rescue operation one of India's biggest achievements: Arun Jaitley

Whatever has happened in Yemen, I think it is India's one of the biggest achievements so far. Besides Indians, we have rescued people of 32 other nations," Jaitley said while addressing the two-day Madhya Pradesh BJP's state executive meeting.

He said India's rescue operation in Yemen has been "creditable".

"Earlier, we used to think how Israel managed to save its people, but what India has done is creditable," he said.

Israel model is very pregnant with possibilities in other spheres of foreign policy, terrorism ityadi onlee.

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Postby Suraj » 09 Apr 2015 22:33

Please keep this thread on track . Discussions about Kerala politics will cause posts to magically disappear.

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Postby SwamyG » 09 Apr 2015 23:41

Some one from Londaon.

Saiswaroopa ‏@Sai_swaroopa
The cashier at Tesco noticed my bindi and gave a thumbs up saying Good job at Yemen.

Gus
BRF Oldie

Postby Gus » 09 Apr 2015 23:57

paraphrasing bill in kill bill - when it comes to bjp, the media is truly and utterly incapable of telling the truth.

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Postby SwamyG » 10 Apr 2015 00:00

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Postby SwamyG » 10 Apr 2015 00:00

Vijay Kumar Singh @Gen_VKSingh
On this last day all who wished to go were evacuated and no one was left at airport. A satisfying day.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 10 Apr 2015 01:24

I can't understand the ro-dho about 2 month salary. The "employer" is probably some fly-by-nite oiseule in Kottayam or Kozhikode who signed a contract. Why should the nurses not demand the wages? By all means, they have to express the demand, and GOI should help prosecute the buggers who stiffed them out of 2 mo, wages and then held their passports hostage (that is blatantly criminal!)

Time to hang some of these from the lampposts of Kozhikode.

partha
BRF Oldie

Postby partha » 10 Apr 2015 01:29

Atri wrote:
ramana wrote:Time to rename Arabian Sea as Indian Sea or Sea of Gujrara/Chalukya or Madhyama Dhadhi?

the names "Sindhu-Saagara" and "Gangaa-Saagara" are common in Indic narrative, saar.

That was Veer Savarkar's recommendation too, iirc.

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Postby KLNMurthy » 10 Apr 2015 01:53

JE Menon wrote:>>A little empathy goes a long way, is what I'm saying.

This is correct, and to an extent the right way to view it I would think. We don't know the circumstances. This is why I said, "if true".

It is entirely possible they were just expressing their loss, as our people are wont to do now and then, not necessarily demanding that GoI pays it out or anything. These are often very poor people, heavily indebted because of the money they paid to job agents, and so on. It's a harsh life.

Anyways, please move on and focus on Op Raahat rather than speculating on the gratitude or lack of it of the people being rescued...

At the level of the nurses, I have observed that small-time private employers in India have a way of not paying salaries on a regular monthly basis or withholding part of the salary for no good reason. This leads to stress and anxiety among employees, sometimes they lose track of what arrears they are owed and end up questioning even legitimate deductions like provident fund etc.

Maybe Arab employers are similar, or maybe the Indian employers' habit is a cultural result of Arab influence.

The nurses should have a sense of perspective about survival vs stressing about salary arrears, but they are mostly young and maybe don't have the experience to develop the perspective. They may be worried about what parents, older siblings, spouse etc will say if they let the salary go.

I once saw a batch of nurses in departure processing at Hyderabad airport. It was a pathetic sight, they looked like they may be from villages, were confused and looked lost and frightened, the officials were yelling at them or making fun of them for being stupid; the girls looked like they could be comfortable only with each other.

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Postby KLNMurthy » 10 Apr 2015 02:06

Erroneous post deleted
Last edited by KLNMurthy on 10 Apr 2015 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Postby KLNMurthy » 10 Apr 2015 02:06

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:
KLNMurthy wrote:A It is tough work getting those passports out of the Employer's hands. Hence, specially in the Middle East, a lot of expats are stuck despite wanting to leave.

KLMN: passports are not necessary. During our corporate Disaster Recovery Plan, we had conducted embassies. Pakistani, Egyptian and Indian embassies clearly assured us passports won't matter in such cases. Any embassy will issue emergency travel papers. It maybe an altogether different thing that people may not be aware of this fact.

KLNMurthy wrote:I realize that making people pay for extraordinary protection by their government detracts from the warm fuzzy feeling we are all experiencing now, and makes the people-govermint relationship more transactional. I think that's not altogether a bad thing.

In fact this maybe a better chance to recruit 'sympathetic' people. Given this overflow of feelings, we could shortlist people who have access. Just thinking out aloud, instead of cash what if we get sundry people who report matters of interest to the embassies. A VIP's cook, a driver in the armed forces, a cleaner from barracks, someone who works low down in construction.

Don't do it with everyone, but do it like the Chinese do who debrief large amounts of business and leisure tourists. Information is just out there. All we need is to ehar from the ground up.

The first one is not my quote. The second one is. Looks like some mixup in using the quote feature.

Gus
BRF Oldie

Postby Gus » 10 Apr 2015 03:04

People can be very stupid about the danger they are in, until it hits them.

member_22733
BRF Oldie

Postby member_22733 » 10 Apr 2015 03:07

/CT mode enabled

What are the chances of Unkil and Poodle debriefing their citizens to gather info about our warships since they have seen them from inside?

Too far-fetched CT?

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Postby svinayak » 10 Apr 2015 03:14

LokeshC wrote:/CT mode enabled

What are the chances of Unkil and Poodle debriefing their citizens to gather info about our warships since they have seen them from inside?

Too far-fetched CT?

This is always done. 10% of unkilwala who meet outside people is always an informer.

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Postby arshyam » 10 Apr 2015 03:22

I am sure no one would have been given access to the command centres. For outside visuals, there are enough joint exercises to take photos and analyze them. Then there was this report of a Chinese Admiral also being given a guided tour of an IN ship, but not the command centre, even though he specifically askedrequested for it :lol:

Gus
BRF Oldie

Postby Gus » 10 Apr 2015 04:28

Info of warships were all probably faxed to massa from naval HQ. Why bother risking people for such easily available info

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 10 Apr 2015 06:13

svinayak wrote:
Too far-fetched CT?
This is always done. 10% of unkilwala who meet outside people is always an informer.

And 100% of Somali pirates that get aboard US warships are sent there to collect intel on USN order of battle. Source: 400% UBCN. :shock:

kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Postby kmkraoind » 10 Apr 2015 09:58

Vijay Kumar Singh ‏@Gen_VKSingh

- On this last day all who wished to go were evacuated and no one was left at airport. A satisfying day.
- Last day of air evac from sana'a, 821 brought back and sent to India.
- We were refused permission initially, then bombing necessitated plane to be on hold and we had to alter route.

It seems General is natural and seems very comfortable with this whole operation. He is definitely "hands-on" approach man and a great asset for this political administration.

P.S. All those images were from General VK Singh Tweets.

Altair
BRF Oldie

Postby Altair » 10 Apr 2015 10:17

Not a single mention of his return in the entire English media. He was greeted by some 500+ patriots in the middle of the night and accorded a Hero welcome. Tajinder Bagga ji greeted with posters and garlands. Twitter trended #WelcomeGeneral for well over 60K tweets. Absolutely zilch from MSM. This is a very bad sign of things to come. There is absolutely nothing we can gain from MSM and the FDI in media. Time to scrap FDI in media. Hope Modi has a plan to make this 'media ka nanga naach' illegal.

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Postby arshyam » 10 Apr 2015 10:21

^^ I don't know what they showed on TV, but I watched clip of headlines today on YouTube covering his arrival, and also a short q&a with the Gen himself. A good crowd in the background. It was uploaded in the last hour.

member_28539
BRFite

Postby member_28539 » 10 Apr 2015 11:21

^^ That was the onlee channel present there....Unofficial Page of Subramanium Swamy has photos of this event on Facebook.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Postby chetak » 10 Apr 2015 15:04

Too far-fetched CT?

In the areas that the public would have been allowed to see, there would be no security issues. This is a non starting CT because there is nothing to report

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Postby A_Gupta » 10 Apr 2015 17:04

http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2015/04/ ... from-yemen
ndia evacuates 272 Bangladesh nationals from Yemen

shiv
BRF Oldie

Postby shiv » 10 Apr 2015 17:22

kmkraoind wrote:It seems General is natural and seems very comfortable with this whole operation. He is definitely "hands-on" approach man and a great asset for this political administration.

The General leads from the front

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Postby arshyam » 10 Apr 2015 18:36

My first thought on seeing the visuals was that the General was back on familiar turf, where people listen to orders and execute it. It is apparent in one the speeches he gives the evacuees on an IN ship: (paraphrasing) "I am going to tell you what's going to happen next. This is not what may happen, but will happen. And you will all be processed quickly and in an orderly fashion..." and something to that effect (I tried to find the video, but wasn't successful). The impression he conveyed was that of an IA General whose gives orders and expects them to be followed, which he probably welcomes after the rough and tumble of civilian life :)

Also, posting a couple of reports from MSM (a few did cover the Op):

(Please hear what Gen VKS says)

From India TV:

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Postby KLNMurthy » 10 Apr 2015 19:28

arshyam wrote:My first thought on seeing the visuals was that the General was back on familiar turf, where people listen to orders and execute it. It is apparent in one the speeches he gives the evacuees on an IN ship: (paraphrasing) "I am going to tell you what's going to happen next. This is not what may happen, but will happen. And you will all be processed quickly and in an orderly fashion..." and something to that effect (I tried to find the video, but wasn't successful). The impression he conveyed was that of an IA General whose gives orders and expects them to be followed, which he probably welcomes after the rough and tumble of civilian life :)

(Please hear what Gen VKS says)

The Headlines Today clip is viewable for me on youtube.

VK Singh, interviewed in the clip was very forthright about some of the things we discussed here:
* people not heeding advisories given as early as January; highly pregnant ladies who should have known in January what was going to happen in April
* people wanting to "keep on earning" despite the advisory and obvious danger
* some people waiting for the last minute just to get a free trip home
* estimated cost is 1.5 lakhs (per person), flying the planes costs in lakhs per hour.
* people complaining about petty things like rice given is cold etc., once they are in safe zone
* we had no embassy in Djibouti, only a Hon. Consul (who would be a Djiboutian) who did an excellent job, but lack of staff was a problem
* media channels focusing on petty things and not seeing the big picture

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Postby KLNMurthy » 10 Apr 2015 19:39

arshyam wrote:My first thought on seeing the visuals was that the General was back on familiar turf, where people listen to orders and execute it. It is apparent in one the speeches he gives the evacuees on an IN ship: (paraphrasing) "I am going to tell you what's going to happen next. This is not what may happen, but will happen. And you will all be processed quickly and in an orderly fashion..." and something to that effect (I tried to find the video, but wasn't successful). The impression he conveyed was that of an IA General whose gives orders and expects them to be followed, which he probably welcomes after the rough and tumble of civilian life :)

From India TV:

India TV guy should have done basic homework. He is telling viewers that Djibouti is an important seaport of Yemen.

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Postby Suraj » 10 Apr 2015 21:15

Too far-fetched CT?

They would be able to report that we have big powerful ships, run by capable men and driven by competent leadership. Shocking.

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Postby arshyam » 10 Apr 2015 21:47

KLNMurthy wrote:India TV guy should have done basic homework. He is telling viewers that Djibouti is an important seaport of Yemen.

Ah yes, that's right. But they still had a detailed coverage others didn't bother with. I am willing to give them a pass on this.

member_22733
BRF Oldie

Postby member_22733 » 10 Apr 2015 22:45

Suraj wrote:

Too far-fetched CT?

They would be able to report that we have big powerful ships, run by capable men and driven by competent leadership. Shocking.

:mrgreen: :lol:

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 11 Apr 2015 03:31

Vivek Ahuja, Dileep and Sanku (if you are lurking) This is an excellent opportunity to pen a few thrillers like Maclain dude on Op Raahat.

Suggestion from Spinster....

Dileep I think you can come up with a good story here.
kaccha mule driver keeping track of TSP/Saudi nooks and raakits and running away among the evacuvees after setting off a Houthi rebellion capturing Aden!!!

Prem
BRF Oldie

Postby Prem » 11 Apr 2015 04:31

Op Rahat establishes Indian claim of the Dadagiri in this part of the OCean?.

Bade
BRF Oldie

Postby Bade » 11 Apr 2015 04:42

Job well done, once again. India is truly getting good at this.

Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”