India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

Post by Gus »

why are even old timers addressing amber g as saar...

she is the only lady regular here other than shamlee who is off and on.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

I am not going to speculate. From here on will do the PC thing - use the Hindi unisex ji. I think that would satisfy all ladies and gents.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Gus wrote:why are even old timers addressing amber g as saar...

I thought Jarita too ?
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

NDA awards 3.1 Billion Dollar deal to Boeing for 22 Apache attack and 15 heavy lift Chinook helicopters
NEW DELHI: Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to the US, the cabinet today cleared the purchase of Boeing's Apache and Chinook helicopters in a deal worth around $3.1 billion, government sources said.

The new 22 Apache attack and 15 heavy lift Chinook helicopters are meant to replace the military's ageing Soviet-origin choppers.

"Both have been cleared," a defence ministry source told news agency Reuters.

The PM heads to the United States tomorrow. He will attend the UN General Assembly session in New York before heading to Silicon Valley where his appointments include a townhall at Facebook's headquarters.

The deal is the first big military contract for the US since PM Modi's government took office.

India and the US have rapidly expanded military and business ties in recent years, despite discord over issues such as intellectual property rights and market access.

Washington is keen to step up cooperation across the board, seeing India as a strategic partner in the face of an increasingly powerful and assertive China.

The initial batch of Apache helicopters is meant to replace the Indian Air Force's ageing fleet of Soviet-era Mi-35 attack choppers and will be armed with Hellfire and Stinger missiles.

The Indian Army has separately requested a fleet of at least 39 of these attack aircraft, some of which it wants to deploy as part of a new mountain division it is raising along the disputed border with China, according to sources
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Nice way to get Americans excited before the visit. What is the benefit we would derive from Unkil at that cost? They are probably gonna sell that to Pakis for much less
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Altair wrote:NDA awards 3.1 Billion Dollar deal to Boeing for 22 Apache attack and 15 heavy lift Chinook helicopters
NEW DELHI: Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to the US, the cabinet today cleared the purchase of Boeing's Apache and Chinook helicopters in a deal worth around $3.1 billion, government sources said.

The new 22 Apache attack and 15 heavy lift Chinook helicopters are meant to replace the military's ageing Soviet-origin choppers.

"Both have been cleared," a defence ministry source told news agency Reuters.

The PM heads to the United States tomorrow. He will attend the UN General Assembly session in New York before heading to Silicon Valley where his appointments include a townhall at Facebook's headquarters.

The deal is the first big military contract for the US since PM Modi's government took office.

India and the US have rapidly expanded military and business ties in recent years, despite discord over issues such as intellectual property rights and market access.

Washington is keen to step up cooperation across the board, seeing India as a strategic partner in the face of an increasingly powerful and assertive China.

The initial batch of Apache helicopters is meant to replace the Indian Air Force's ageing fleet of Soviet-era Mi-35 attack choppers and will be armed with Hellfire and Stinger missiles.

The Indian Army has separately requested a fleet of at least 39 of these attack aircraft, some of which it wants to deploy as part of a new mountain division it is raising along the disputed border with China, according to sources
IIRC, the earlier attack helos were funded out of the IA budget. Any idea from whose budget this lot is coming from??
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

This is for IAF. Its mentioned in the article.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Altair wrote:Nice way to get Americans excited before the visit. What is the benefit we would derive from Unkil at that cost? They are probably gonna sell that to Pakis for much less
sell is the wrong word. pakis get their AH1Zs at zero cost capex. for opex they may have to pay something or defray it from their annual rent from american taxpayer.

america both arranges the kit and the funding to pay for it in parallel..they are not going to need to pay a dime for this, let alone $952 million
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /25409157/
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Are we buying from Khan because Bear is selling 20 Mi-35 Hind to Pakistan? Because it sounds silly!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

i think its other way around ... bear is ekeing out more sales revenue from EOLed assets.

we should have got boneyard AH1Z with new engines and gearbox if at all gunships were so urgent for the IAF...but then AH1Z is not tfta enough vs the LCH, so gold plated apaches were needed for iaf to feel better vs the sdre LCH and Rudra of the IA.

ridiculous waste of precious money best devoted to ramping up domestic artillery and missile production.
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Singha wrote: ridiculous waste of precious money best devoted to ramping up domestic artillery and missile production.
Hence my original question! What exactly are we getting in return? Apart from shiny toys that is..
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

We have to buy Hellfire missiles at premium prices for the Apaches that Pak gets for free or rock bottom prices.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Raja Bose wrote: er...that's not the Google Glass AmberG is referring to. Anyhow those glucose measuring contact lens are not Google Glass.
Sorry, misspoke, and indeed I meant google's contact lesses ("glucose glasses?"), which I am told NaMo and the team is more interested.. ..OTOH effect of glucose which rotates polarization of light could indeed lead to actual google glass type devices to indeed work even without contacting the tears in the eye. ...(I have been talking about this idea to some for many years.. and there are patents .. but now this is perhaps practical technically)

This, specially technical details may/ought to go in its appropriate dhaga but NaMo's trip may inspire, push ahead many such health-care related products, and that will be good.

(VT, is right - BITS (Pilani), IIT's, MIT.. just to name a few, also have cool products, fairly near the final stages... simple monitoring (plus blood tests like measuring A1C - which Theranos can now - in California it is being done - do it with fraction (1/50 th of the cost of regular lab test)) can make a very BIG impact.

Anyway I hope lot of good things get pushed...

Let me end this by putting a small youtube interview of Elizabeth Holmes (CEO of Theranos) done by IIT alum in IIT leadership conference just a month or so ago...Homes got a standing ovation after his keynote address to the crowd (attended by IIT crowd, Indian ambassador to US, many CEO's of silicon valley, and even some brfites :). I did ask her about India (and other parts of US) and she was very enthusiastic and hoping that it will be soon. (At present only California, Arizona and Pennsylvania has these centers).

Here is the interview.. Note the background (IIT logos..) and her hope that bright youths(including IITians :) ) will help such projects..
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

vayu tuvan wrote:AmberG: All are Indian sources so they don't count. As Ulan Batori says it is zero coverage (in US media, i.e.).
Google glasses for Blood Glucose levels? Really? cheaper mass manufactured single use chemical measuring strips can be made for far fewer dollars (or INR) than the failed google glasses. Sorry no cigar saar.
The problem with single use strips is the need for poking your fingers to check the glucose level and that does not give you continuous reading. Something that continuously measures and sounds an alarm BEFORE your glucose level drops dangerously low is the need. That is the reason I keep a supply of hard candy in my vehicles. Even though the medications i take are not supposed to cause hypoglycemia, they do. Google contact glasses may be good but I think they are yet too expensive and difficult to use.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ I am replying it in the healtcare dhaga (http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 3#p1904283)
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Amber G. wrote:...

Or.. Tesla/IITK IIT-BHU joint development of good batteries..(to store solar power)..

All by 2019 or before..! :)
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Whole downtown Seattle is vely nice to walk todin because most streets are blocked by long POLICE buses (to cart off the Sprittists and tellists?). A few suited stuffed shirts standing outside Westin waiting for L'Empelol and retinue. As part of the Mongolian delegation I was able to join the People's Yak-Dung Clearing Squad and see Splittist demonstration as well. Splittists were ordered to move away from in front of Westin hotel, and onto a side street. There's PRC power 4 u.

$20B/yr of exports (Boeing, Microsoft, wood..) from Washington State to PRC.

IOW, I got much closer to visiting Empelol than to visiting tea-sellers from yindoostan.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Altair wrote:Nice way to get Americans excited before the visit. What is the benefit we would derive from Unkil at that cost?
Both NaMo (elected PM of India) and Obama (elected president of US) are positive that this is a win-win for both countries..so why not ask them?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

deejay wrote:
Gus wrote:why are even old timers addressing amber g as saar...

I thought Jarita too ?
i thought neela was a she but he made a reference to the missus.. :oops: :lol:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

People are doing yadayada here when there is such a 'target-rich environment' here:

http://academeblog.org/2015/09/18/south ... ent-109570

and related blogs at the AAUP site. Come on! Did Bhima sit around shooting da breeze with Nakula when the Kauravas were making faces at them?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

mahadevbhu wrote:
Amber G. wrote:...

Or.. Tesla/IITK IIT-BHU joint development of good batteries..(to store solar power)..

All by 2019 or before..! :)
Okay! I did not go to IIT-BHUi but I got invited to a IIT-BHU's "campus breakout/networking" type event in silicon valley. I also liked some people from IIT-BHU's initiative/leadership of "giving back" to matrubhumi.. - reminding us that all the education of IIT was virtually free for us -- paid by ordinary Indians. One of the IIT-BHU initiative is/was to support eye-health... How education, and cataract operations (costing about 1/100th of what it costs in US) setup with a few willing people was changing lives..there was good initiative using google hangout and good teachers to reach much wider audience..All the best of luck to IIT-BHU.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

India, US trade talks begin; Kerry says Obama keen to meet Modi

Secretary Kerry helping Ministers Sitaraman and Swaraj to their seats

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nirmala Seetharaman gave a very effective rebuttal of Penny Pritzker's charges!
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

That HT article claims that the goal of US-India bilateral talks is to increase trade to $500 billion in 5 years!? This would make India the 2 or 3rd largest trading partner after Canada and China perhaps even more than Mexico.

Today, US-India trade is around $100 billion in goods and services. The nominal increase is around $5-6 billion each year. So what Secretary Lurch is suggesting seems implausible. Has anyone in the NDA government saying anything like this? SS or Jaitly?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Raja Bose wrote:
Can someone confirm that the academic retards have put up an anti Modi billboard on I-880 near Dixon Landing? That would be an appropriate place for it since then it will be rightfully accompanied 24/7 by the Eau de Effluvia aroma emanating from the Dixon Landing Sewage Treatment plant and landfill - the world's largest stink joint. :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Anti-modi billboard spotted in Newark. It seems this is different Newark than the Newark, NJ. Either way., lot of desis in both the newark's and no desi will bite into the add. Just that the state department dogs have to bark for their masters.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Newark, NJ the armpit of America.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Mort Walker wrote:That HT article claims that the goal of US-India bilateral talks is to increase trade to $500 billion in 5 years!? This would make India the 2 or 3rd largest trading partner after Canada and China perhaps even more than Mexico.
Today, US-India trade is around $100 billion in goods and services. The nominal increase is around $5-6 billion each year. So what Secretary Lurch is suggesting seems implausible. Has anyone in the NDA government saying anything like this? SS or Jaitly?
It may be possible to achieve this target by 2025.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Lots of Falun Gong protestors, even pickup trucks with huge signs on them, driving around, protesting
Organ Harvesting
Man! Is that horrible or what?
Some really strange-looking tall hefty dudes in spiffy suits (British or American) with really extraordinary ties (matching ones). They looked really out of place without their black uniforms, tactical pants, ammo belts etc. As difficult to spot as a Nun in... shall we say Pakistan?
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

In an unfriendly to India act, the US grants visa to Islamic Republic of Pakistan backed Mohammadden separatist, Syed Ali Shah Geelani.

How come those seeking to separate from India on the flimsy basis of following Mohammaddenism have such an easy time getting visa’s to the US when an elected Indian constitutional representative like our current Prime Minister Narendra Modi was for years denied an US Visa?

Ahead of US visit, Centre suspends Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Geelani's passport for 4 weeks
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Compared to the worthies who allowed the Khobragade nanny's DUI hubby to fly out when there was a case pending, the present bunch seems to be alert.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Amber G. wrote: Okay! I did not go to IIT-BHUi but I got invited to a IIT-BHU's "campus breakout/networking" type event in silicon valley. I also liked some people from IIT-BHU's initiative/leadership of "giving back" to matrubhumi.. - reminding us that all the education of IIT was virtually free for us -- paid by ordinary Indians. One of the IIT-BHU initiative is/was to support eye-health... How education, and cataract operations (costing about 1/100th of what it costs in US) setup with a few willing people was changing lives..there was good initiative using google hangout and good teachers to reach much wider audience..All the best of luck to IIT-BHU.

That would have been Dr Manu Vora, I presume? Doing the google Hangout.
http://www.b-einc.com/manu.html
We had one with him last week, when I was in the Alma Mater.

Let's continue our conversation offline, if you please? I am currently in the process of getting corporates to fund some research projects at IIT BHU, on the lines of the google document I have shared in my earlier thread which was taken down. One of the bodies under who's aegis we will solicit funds is www.tcoe.in

Enough OT.
Multatuli
BRFite

Post by Multatuli »

Sushma Swaraj paves the way for Modi with US acknowledging Pakistan-based terror

by Rajeev Sharma Sep 23, 2015 09:35 IST

The Narendra Modi government has hit the ground running in its high-level engagement with the United States which has just started.

The first such Indo-US engagement—the Strategic and Commercial Dialogue in Washington-- has reaped rich dividends from the Indian viewpoint. The US has acknowledged threats posed by such Pakistan-based terror outfits as Lashkar-e-Toiba, Jaish-e-Mohammed, the Haqanni Network and The infamous D-Company of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, all of which are India-specific. The US-India Joint Declaration on Combating Terrorism has specifically mentioned all the terror outfits responsible for much bloodshed in India and abroad.

This is definitely an achievement and a notable concrete deliverable from the Indian standpoint.

Here are the relevant excerpts from the Joint Declaration on Combating Terrorism after the inaugural India-U.S. Strategic and Commercial Dialogue between External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Secretary of State John Kerry:

- Reaffirm the commitment of India and the United States to combat terrorism in all its forms, which constitutes a profound threat to global peace and security, and to uphold our common values of democracy, justice, and the rule of law;

- Reiterate the threat posed by entities such as Al-Qa’ida and its affiliates, Lashkar-e-Toiba, Jaish-e-Mohammad, D Company, and the Haqqani Network, and other regional groups that seek to undermine stability in South Asia;

- Call for Pakistan to bring to justice the perpetrators of the 2008 Mumbai attack.

Read further: http://www.firstpost.com/world/sushma-s ... 42752.html

PM Modi kickstarts big ticket foreign tour; Ireland first and then the US

PM Modi's two-day visit to Silicon Valley, starting September 26, has a number of headline-grabbing moments before he signs off in front of around 17,000 people.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... on-valley/
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Historically we were alone when it comes to getting support from the five Permanent members in the 1965 war and once we sided with the USSR there was support from them. So in the current and future scenarios, we will be alone when it comes to support from the other players in the group being U.S, China and Russia. So we will be one among the four players in the world for the next 10 to 15 years time after which it may possibly change to one among the three U.S, China and India and eventually to China and India. Cooperation is all well and good. The suggestion to policy makers is to foresee all these and expect the others in the grouping to pull your leg when opportunity comes and be prepared for any eventuality. Our major source of strength will come from other countries. So expecting to boost the trade with the United states is a good attempt, dont spend most of your energies on just this. Look around and increase the relationship with all countries how small they are and that will see much more positive results as these smaller nations and not so powerful ones are our real friends.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Listening to Kerry one comes to the following conclusion
1) U.S politicians are affected by the Russian bug and they will not miss any opportunity to shake hands with ISIS types in an effort to defeat Russia. They are least concerned about Human beings world wide and will tell the world their own version of who is the bad guy and who is good. One of the major destabilizing factor in the world today is the U.S dumb ass politicians who are least bothered about Democracy and people's voices worldwide. In the powerplay of the world powers the Russians seems to have better common sense except the recent moves to antagonize India which can only speed up their irreverence in the world stage. The solution is taking back POK and linking with Afghanistan. Baluchistan and Sindhudesh can also find their freedom. After this no one will really need Pakistan.
2) The Indian side seem to go too much with what has been agreed what has been achieved etc. I dont think that the U.S do really care about these agreements. If Pakistan discovers large amount of oil in Muridke just below LET office, expect Kerry to land in Pakistan and Kiss JEM chief on both his cheeks and hand over military gear to target Indians.
3) Increasing our trade with the U.S is a good sign, but lets not just do this only with the U.S but we must be the top trading partner (at least in the top three if not one) of all the countries in the world. Give the task to India's ambassadors and ask them to meet targets. We must be able to achieve this by 2019.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

arun wrote:In an unfriendly to India act, the US grants visa to Islamic Republic of Pakistan backed Mohammadden separatist, Syed Ali Shah Geelani.

How come those seeking to separate from India on the flimsy basis of following Mohammaddenism have such an easy time getting visa’s to the US when an elected Indian constitutional representative like our current Prime Minister Narendra Modi was for years denied an US Visa?

Ahead of US visit, Centre suspends Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Geelani's passport for 4 weeks
Likely the grant of a Visa by the US to Mohammadden separatist Geelani was a nod and a wink from the US to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan not to get too perturbed by the U.S.-India Joint Declaration on Combatting Terrorism and that the US will take care of her Major Non NATA ally’s interests, a few diplomatically harsh words notwithstanding.

Meanwhile I cannot see the U.S.-India Joint Declaration on Combatting Terrorism on the US State Departments website which was announced yesterday in the US. Result of a lack of diligent search on my part, inefficiency on the part of the US State Department or something all the more sinister and in the nature of US perfidy targeting India? Has anyone else perchance spotted it on the US State Department website and if so can the please post the link?

In the interim, FWIW, the full text of the cannot be found by me U.S.-India Joint Declaration on Combatting Terrorism on State Department website as posted on our Ministry of External affairs website.

Note Islamic Republic of Pakistan specific content:
Reiterate the threat posed by entities such as Al-Qa’ida and its affiliates, Lashkar-e-Tayibba, Jaish-e-Mohammad, D Company, and the Haqqani Network, and other regional groups that seek to undermine stability in South Asia;

Call for Pakistan to bring to justice the perpetrators of the 2008 Mumbai attack;

Strongly condemn the July 27, 2015 terrorist attack in Gurdaspur, Punjab, and August 5, 2015, attack in Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir;
From our MEA here:

U.S.-India Joint Declaration on Combatting Terrorism
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Inquiring minds do wonder on whether the South Asianist chitthi writers and their supporters will be writing one to Comrade Xi Jinping, and the businessmen lining up to meet him, about the repression of NGOs in China? I think it should be halal to do so as no less a person that Susan Rice memsahib seems to be very angry.

White House sends tough message on NGOs as Xi visits

Perhaps friends of the Yak-herder should make this pooch on whether chitthi for Comrade Eleven has been prepared or not at various Gurukul blogs in the short, dark and narrow places? After all chitthi writing should be a regular habit.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

uddu wrote: 2) The Indian side seem to go too much with what has been agreed what has been achieved etc. I dont think that the U.S do really care about these agreements.
The US also is quite annoyed that India keeps agreeing but does not do anything about the agreement in terms of implementation. The zeal with which the US is courting Modi may be because they hope he will implement. Alas they are wrong. India is not US where a few make major decisions. Modi can never give Americans everything they want without having substantial in return. The Americans will give nada.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Apparently Biden has Indian relatives, dating back to someone from the East India Company, who stayed back and married locally.

The full USIBC Dialogue Reception ceremony... Long, but worth watching for the full court press by the US in terms of how the US sees the future of the relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F8nTbcorU8

Quip from Kerry, paraphrased: Sushma Swaraj says that she and I are the long and short of diplomacy...
Reference to the fact that their height difference is huge. Cutely, Sushma needed a stool to stand on during the press conference so she could appear over the podium :D
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Wasn't his passport application stuck/blocked sometime back because the turd refused to fill in several columns?

How did he get his hands on a passport in first place.

As for US perfidy, it's like a priest on a mountain of sugar.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kashi wrote:
Wasn't his passport application stuck/blocked sometime back because the turd refused to fill in several columns?

How did he get his hands on a passport in first place.

As for US perfidy, it's like a priest on a mountain of sugar.

Geelani got a Indian passport issued to visit his ailing daughter in Saudi Arabia.
Its a travesty of US that they gave him visa to visit US during Modi's visit to do equal= equal.

Geelani should have been refused a visa for supporting Kashmiri terrorism.

So Modi took care of this double blow.