Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan-Sept 05, 2015

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan-Sept 05,

Post by Prem »

g.sarkar wrote:http://www.sify.com/news/saudi-arabia-t ... ejfdh.html
Riyadh: After Pakistan failed to join the Saudi-led Operation Decisive Storm, in which numerous airstrikes were conducted throughout Yemen against Houthi forces between March 26 and April 21this year, Saudi Arabia has now decided to review its military and economic ties with Islamabad.
According to high-level Arab sources based in Dubai, Saudi Arabia has decided to " cool off " its relations with Pakistan after it failed to join the Operation in which 10 Arab states including Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Sudan, Kuwait, the UAR, Qatar and Bahrain took part.They further pointed out that because Sharif's daughter was married to a grandson of King Fahd, he became a member of the Saudi royal family. ....Gautam
Then it lend credibility to the diplomatic whisper that PM Modi will be visiting Riyadh within next 5 -6 months.Most 6 probably in Feb of 2016.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4esnVSCAQ

This guy is to the right of BRF.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Cantonment To Be Established In Swat
ISLAMABAD: President Mamnoon Hussain approved on Tuesday a plan to establish a cantonment in Swat as a permanent post for the army in the valley,[/b] which was ‘cleared’ of extremists and terrorists by the armed forces about six years ago.
He said that the cantonment area was being established at the request of Swat residents[*] who wanted a more permanent sense of security after the area was wrested away from Taliban.
[*]One reader's comments directly contradicts this:

"Swat is not a PATA, second swatians never wanted cantonment. I don't know why the people who don't know a single thing about swatians starts commenting about us.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoSENbL4v5E

Tarek Fatah faults Tagore for the formation of Pakistan.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

C Christine Fair on LeT

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/the- ... 70905.html
The Lashkar's empire of jihad
How Pakistan's intelligence agency created a pliant proxy and implacable foe of India
She seems to have done a thorough job

RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ Saar, the source is different. Evil Yindoos I say.
member_20385
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20385 »

Christine fair on twitter has made reference to Schelling's strategy of conflict in reference to Rajnath singh's statement that we will not fire first. I did a simple google search and found few extracts of schelling's theory. Very interesting to say the least. It appears that pakis are following Schelling's methods, maybe unknowingly.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:https...://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoSENbL4v5E

:shock: As far as it can get both geographically and ideologically.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Anujan wrote:This thread is probably OT but India's plutonium stockpile is being used in reactors for the 3 stage program. The Pakis are being, well Pakis.

Next they will calculate all the Uranium deposits India has and conclude India can make 2 million warheads.
The Pakis have started to maintain, since the time the gap between us and them convinced them that it was unbridgeable any longer and would only widen exponentially more, that it was the 'ability' of India not 'intention' that bothered them !

At one point of time, the US agreed with that notion!
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

sanjaykumar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoSENbL4v5E

LOL! As he says, Pakistan was formed because Tagore won the Nobel Prize and Iqbal could not contain his jealousy. :)

Fatah has some disturbing things to say - e.g., that the Indian Army that liberated Bangladesh felt it had more in common with the captured Pakistani officers than with the Mukti Bahini (falling for the tall, fair, anglophone); and so let them off lightly; that Bangladesh could be a big asset to Hindustan if Hindustanis allowed it.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Certainly, Bangladesh was a basket case with shrivelled up, dark people. These darkies have now a better infant mrtality rate than India and much better than Pakistan's. Same with female literacy rate.

Mybe Pakistanis need to drink their tea black.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dawn.com/news/1206314/increa ... akistan-pm
After listening to the traders' viewpoint, Nawaz Sharif announced that he has already directed the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) to reduce power tariff by 2.19 rupees adding that a number of energy projects are under construction to overcome the energy crisis.

About the security situation in the economic hub, Karachi, the PM maintained that the ongoing operation against terrorists in the city has improved the situation bringing traders and industrialist back to the city.

"We know the terrorists' might has decreased and they are attacking journalists as their last efforts to survive," he said.
If Sharif lowers the power tariffs, isn't he simply adding to the problem of circular debt?

Per http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/texti ... _id=173387 the tariff is PKR 14 per unit for textile mills, and Sharif is therefore allegedly reducing it to PKR 11.81. Someone had posted some numbers for the Chinese projects, can't find them, but isn't it around PKR 14 or more per unit?

And that statement about terrorists is laughable.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Anujan wrote:C Christine Fair on LeT

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/the- ... 70905.html
The Lashkar's empire of jihad
While Indians are likely correct to anticipate that the next attack on India may well come from the LeT; I encourage Indians to also remember the Jaish-e-Mohammad which launched the attack on India's parliament in December 2000. JeM had been dormant for years in part because their cadres had defected to the Pakistani Taliban. In recent years, the Pakistan army and ISI have resuscitated JeM in hopes of luring some of the of previous cadres back into the fold with the lure of killing Indians. JeM, it should be recalled, conducted its first attack-a suicide bombing in 2000-in Kashmir. JeM, unlike LeT, has long had ties to al Qaeda and the Afghan Taliban, once the world leaders in murderous brutality, and JeM's operatives have been working with the Pakistani Taliban whose attacks have been nearly as savage as that of IS. Indians would be wise to keep on eye on JeM in addition to LeT. The Pakistan army and the ISI needs both of these groups if its twin goals of pacifying Pakistan and setting India on fire are to be advanced.
Malayappan
BRFite

Post by Malayappan »

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 601_1.html

In that article
They further pointed out that because Sharif's daughter was married to a grandson of King Fahd, he became a member of the Saudi royal family.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

^^^ In the Mohammadden Totem pole the Arabs form the apex while the people of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan are relegated towards the bottom and designated as “Miskeens”. Given that I doubt that a high social status Arab from the Saudi Arabian Royal family would stoop to marry a Miskeen from the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Further the supposed “Grandson” of deceased Saudi Arabian King Fahd has to my knowledge never been named nor has the story of marriage been separately and independently corroborated by sources not linked to the Islamic Republic. Thus it seems to me that this most likely a planted rumour by the Sharif family to indulge in a bit of Mohammadden social climbing back home in the Islamic Republic where the penchant to tom-tom any Non-Indian Sub-Continental genetic link is pronounced.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Pak-Afghan relations: Hanging by a thread
Many of us had high hopes of a paradigm shift in Afghan-Pakistan relations when President Ashraf Ghani soon after taking office, in a break with the past, visited GHQ on his maiden visit to Pakistan. His gesture conveyed two clear messages; firstly, that he understood the Pakistan military’s paramountcy in the oversight of its country’s foreign policy with Afghanistan, and secondly, he depended on the Pakistan military to deliver the ‘Quetta Shura’ so that a lasting reconciliation with the Afghan Taliban could be achieved.
Matters were proceeding smoothly when the rapidly developing friendly relations between the two nations were grievously impacted by a series of explosions that rocked the Afghan capital on Aug 7. About 50 Afghans were killed and more than 300 innocent citizens injured. Senior Afghan officials pointed the finger at Pakistan, specifically accusing the Haqqani network for these atrocities. The officials claimed their allegations were based on electronic intercepts and they accused Pakistan of perfidy and dishonesty in its intentions towards Afghanistan.
Two events then followed in quick succession. First, both the Afghan parliament and civil society denounced the MoU that had been signed between the intelligence agencies; second, the NDS criticised the ISI as being less than honest for hiding the fact that the emir of the Taliban, Mullah Omar, had died more than two years ago.
After this, the perceptions of Afghans towards Pakistan became increasingly negative.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Zardari summons PPP leaders in Dubai[*][/url]

[*] Can something be done "diplomatically" to stop Dubai being used as an venue for Pakistan domestic politics ; it appears to me that Dus Percenti and his party are slowly becoming irrelevant on their home turf (except maybe, SIND)
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Another excerpt from the above,
After this, the perceptions of Afghans towards Pakistan became increasingly negative. While interacting with young Afghans in Kabul, I asked if anyone amongst them could summarise in a phrase their attitude towards Pakistan today. A youth studying in Afghanistan University responded by saying, “We hate you in the same manner as the Palestinians hate the Israelis!” It was a sobering exchange indeed.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

From Falijee's link
It is the region’s bad luck that it abounds in false flag operations that are likely to increase in the days to come, since there are too many spoilers who are taking part in this version of the Great Game.
So, henceforth, blasts in Kabul are done by not-Pakistan, to spoil Pakistan's good name.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

A nice read. Pragmatic chap.

The Pakistani press prince of Kiev
How Mohammad Zahoor became a Ukrainian ‘minigarch.’

By TUNKU VARADARAJAN 9/10/15

KIEV — On September 19 next week, the Kyiv Post will complete 20 years of existence, 20 years in which this tenacious newsweekly with a print circulation of little more than 15,000 has consistently scrapped and punched above its weight.

This is in part because it publishes in English, making it the source of first resort for news on Ukraine for embassies in Kiev and chanceries around the world, as well as for any expat doing business in this country of simpatico citizens and venal officialdom.

The other element of its success has been its consistent, and cussed, independence. The paper tells it arrow-straight in a part of the world where much of the media twists the news to suit the interests of oligarch owners and corrupt politicians.

By contrast, the record shows that the Kyiv Post gets the story right most of the time; and apart from a few instances of turbulence between owner and editors, the quality of its journalism is not inferior to any reputable publication in the West. Staid it may be on occasion, but it’s never dodgy or unreliable.

I am in Koncha-Zaspa, a zippy 30-minute drive south of Kiev in a daredevil local journalist’s car. This is a wooded suburb of the capital, dotted with mansions of questionable taste, some grotesque.

By the standards of the zip code, Mohammad Zahoor’s pile is restrained, though it could hardly be called understated. The security is relaxed — one man at the gate who waves us through, another who ushers us to a parking spot; and as we descend from our car, a tall Pakistani man, about 6-foot-2, approaches us. It’s Zahoor, Ukraine’s richest expat, a “minigarch” worth about $1 billion (some say), and the owner of the Kyiv Post.

Zahoor is 60 years old, though his jet-black hair isn’t a day older than 30. His physique suggests regular trips to the gym. He is a virile chap, with two little toddlers to prove it. They’re twins — Arabella and Mirabella — his daughters with his wife Kamaliya, a bombshell blonde who was Mrs. World in 2008, and is today a singer of some repute not just in Ukraine but in those parts of Europe where the pop culture is unfussy.

We banter with Zahoor’s twins for a while before they’re whisked off by a posse of nannies (I count four). A housekeeper brings us chai made in the way of the Indian subcontinent, strong brick-red tea with lots of milk and sugar. After a few sips — the tea is hot, and we slurp noisily — Zahoor starts to reminisce. His speech is languid, his accent a mix of Pakistan and Britain. “You want to know my story?” he asks.

Men of steel

The owner of the Kyiv Post arrived in Moscow in 1974 on an engineering scholarship. He’d been at college in Karachi, and when he learned of his selection by the Soviet education ministry his parents were on a pilgrimage to Mecca, so he left without telling them. He was one of 42 students flown in from Pakistan: 14 stayed in Moscow, 14 went to St. Petersburg, and 14 unlucky ones — among them Zahoor — were put on a train to Donetsk, a shabby, polluted industrial backwater in then-eastern Soviet Ukraine. Showing early acumen, he changed $40 on the black market before embarking on the 32-hour journey. “I’m from Pakistan. I wouldn’t sell my dollars at the official rate!”

Zahoor studied engineering and steel-making at Donetsk, turning in a thesis on the rolling plant at the Donetsk Steel Mill in 1980. “Sixteen years later I bought that mill,” he says, with obvious — but not off-putting — satisfaction. He returned to Pakistan shortly after with a Russian wife, and worked for Pakistan Steel. “I was a safety engineer. We translated Russian safety manuals into English.”

This was the time of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and Zahoor’s Russian wife excited the suspicion of Pakistani intelligence. “‘Why are you getting letters from Russia at your home?’ they asked me. ‘Because my wife is Russian!’ I said!” The spooks, unimpressed, made it clear that Zahoor’s professional prospects were limited if he were to remain married to a Russian. So he left for Moscow in 1987, to work for a Pakistani trading company, helping his employers make a fortune buying Russian steel at $100 a ton and selling it abroad for $250. “We bought 10,000 tons in all — $1.5 million in profit!”

It wasn’t long before Zahoor started his own business, in partnership with a Thai steelmaker. By the early 1990s, “we were making $40-50 million profit per annum.” In 1996, he bought the Donetsk mill he’d studied as a student, turning a shambolic post-Soviet plant into “a state-of-the-art steel mill.” Those were lawless days, however. “It was President [Leonid] Kuchma’s time. Dinosaurs could just roll up and take your business away.” One of those, the oligarch Rinat Akhmetov, tried to do just that. Zahoor fought back, and he recalls “the Kiev Post took up my case.” Bowing to reality, Zahoor made a pact with another oligarch, Viktor Nusenkis, which kept Akhmetov at bay. But Zahoor’s victory was Pyrrhic: He had to cede 90 percent of the plant to Nusenkis.

“I continued in steel until 2008, buying mills in the U.S., the U.K., and Serbia, and building a mill in Dubai. We had two piers in Odessa port.” Presciently, he got out of the steel business in 2008 — just before the recession — selling his whole caboodle for $1 billion to Vadim Varshavsky, an oligarch who went bankrupt not long after. It was at this point, having rid himself of the steel that had brought him so much joy and so much pain, that Zahoor bought the Kyiv Post from Jed Sunden, its American founder-owner, for $1.1 million. (Born the Kiev Post, the paper later changed its name to Kyiv, adopting an alternative English-language spelling for the capital that many here say better reflects the way it is pronounced in the Ukrainian language.)

“I invested in real estate, hospitality, trading, and media,” says Zahoor. “In my portfolio, the Kyiv Post is at the top. Not financially, of course, as it loses me $20,000 a month. But it has pride of place. It carries a message to the government: ‘This is your country, and you have to be good to it and your countrymen.’”

Six years after he bought the Post, Zahoor is still enamored of his purchase — and proud of it. “It has never been considered to be a neutral newspaper by the governments of the day, although it clearly is. Because we tell the truth, governments have considered us to be the ‘opposition.’ But [current President Petro] Poroshenko knows me well and knows I’m non-partisan.”

Mohammad Zahoor outside his home in Ukraine | Tunku Varadarajan

Zahoor can be uncomplimentary about the Poroshenko government. “They talk too much but they do too little. When they’re kicked in their asses, they make a big show of doing something. But it’s like they’re pretending.” I press him on Poroshenko, and, in particular, on his campaign promise to divest himself of his chocolate assets if elected president. (Poroshenko is the Chocolate King of Ukraine, holding a majority stake in the Roshen Confectionary Corp., Ukraine’s premier sweets business.) “Poroshenko,” says Zahoor, “promised to sell his business once he came to power but he never did. In fact, he’s the only person in the country whose worth has actually increased in the current economic depression.”

“I’d say all this to him if he were sitting at the table with us right now. I’d remind him of all his promises.”

Romantic holiday in Pakistan

The Kyiv Post isn’t Zahoor’s only romantic attachment. The very mention of Kamaliya, his wife, is enough to make him beam like a beacon. It’s an unlikely pairing, that of the Pakistani tycoon and the brassy provincial crooner, and I ask him how it all came about. The answer is unexpected.

“VAT,” he says. “VAT brought us together.” Value-added tax, I exclaim, wondering whether the abbreviation meant something else in Ukraine — Very Alluring Talent, perhaps? “Yes. VAT is a big issue here in this country. Everybody tries to get it back. You try to use whatever connection you’ve got. In 2003, I had a meeting with the deputy director of the tax authority. He was a family friend of Kamaliya, and he brought her with him to the meeting.”

“I thought she was beautiful. He told me she was a singer. I said, ‘Let her sing something.’ So she sang a Ukrainian folk song a capella. I was a fan of Sarah Brightman all my life, and she was much better than Sarah Brightman!” Zahoor asked her for her phone number, and got it. The next week, he was marking Metallurgists’ Day — a vestige from the Soviet cultural calendar — at his Donetsk mill, and he asked Kamaliya if she’d come sing for the workers. She came.

They met a few more times in Kiev, and then Zahoor took her on holiday to Dubai, and then Pakistan. “There, I bought her a red sari, and told her we were going to a friend’s wedding. She protested, saying, ‘But in Indian movies the bride wears the red sari.’ But she wore it. I took her to a friend’s house where there were flowers, and a mullah. And there I asked her to marry me.”

“She said yes. This was two months after we’d first met.”

I ask Zahoor about Donetsk, the place — currently in the hands of Russian rebels — where he first studied and learned Russian, and for which he still retains great affection. “They never thought they were Russian,” he says. “They considered themselves Ukrainian, but of Russian origin, and with Russian language. But they’re afraid of being considered third-class citizens, which is why they’ve opted to fight. I’m against their fighting like that, but I think the moment has passed at which this can be resolved on an amicable basis.”

So what’s next in the conflict? “Somebody has to be more generous. I don’t think Russia and Donetsk will be more generous. Ukraine’s economy is down. Its back is to the wall. They have to let Donetsk go — they should let it go. Because this is bringing disaster to the Ukrainian economy. Let them go.”

What about Crimea? I ask. Here Zahoor draws on his own personal history as a Pakistani. “I have told the government so many times that this is like Kashmir. Kashmir is a disputed territory and Pakistan can never take it back from India. Crimea is now a part of Russia, and a part of Russia it will remain.”

“So let us remember … Crimea is Kashmir on the Black Sea.”
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Paki National Airline Used As Personal A.T.M By Corrupt Officials

LAHORE (Web Desk) – Financial leakages worth billions in PIAC’s ticket booking system have been identified by the Aviation Division. The FIA has been requested to hold criminal investigations to unearth the malpractices being carried out by PIA officials and travel agents, revealed Aviation Division today.

In order to maximize revenue earning potential, PIAC’s ticket pricing structure is based on multiple Revenue Booking Designators (RBDs), as per standard industry practice. The system has inbuilt feature having provision of multiple RBDs for each class, primarily required to respond to market demand/forecast. Hence the ticket cost continues to increase as flight-date nears and more slots are booked. However, due to apparent manual intervention by certain PIA officials for their illegitimate financial gain,[*] the objective of the system is being compromised. It is estimated that the revenue leakage due to the connivance of PIA officials and travel agents may be in billions.

[*] This is in addition to recent reports that a PIA plane was diverted to ferry passengers to Saudia ( free of charge ), on the orders of no less than Ganja Sharif so that they can attend the marriage celebration of his daughter
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

"Islamic State" Fighters In Afghanistan Are Definitely Members Of Pakistani Militias"- Ex President, Hamid Karzai.

Karzai calls al-Qaida a 'myth' and denies 9/11 attacks were plotted in Afghanistan
Hamid Karzai, the former president of Afghanistan, has questioned the existence of al-Qaida, and denied that the 9/11 terror attacks which killed nearly 3,000 people were planned in Afghanistan.
On the eve of the anniversary of the 2001 attacks, Karzai, who left office last year after 12 years, used an interview with al Jazeera to express his doubt that the terrorist group led by the late Osama bin Laden was responsible for the operation which prompted the invasion of Afghanistan.

“I don’t know if al-Qaida existed and I don’t know if they exist,” said Karzai. “I have not seen them and I’ve not had any report about them, any report that would indicate that al-Qaida is operating in Afghanistan.[*] It is for me a myth […] For us, they don’t exist.”
[*] I think he is pointing the fingers to his Eastern Neighbour :D
Karzai, who had a poor relationship with successive leaders in Pakistan, also claimed in the interview that Islamic State fighters in Afghanistan are “definitely” members of “Pakistani militias”.
Appearing on Al Jazeera English’s new weekly show, UpFront, Karzai declared as “fact” that 9/11 was not plotted in Afghanistan, despite overwhelming proof that Bin Laden and close associates such as Khaled Sheikh Mohammed organised the operation while based in camps or houses in the east and south of the country between 1999 and 2001.

In the interview on Thursday, the former president said he had “never come across” al-Qaida.
Most analysts and security officials believe the group’s affiliate in Afghanistan is largely composed of disaffected members of the Taliban, but Karzai dismissed any Afghan connection with the group and pointed the finger at neighbouring Pakistan.

“[The Islamic State] … has no ground [in Afghanistan] at all. There is no element, there is no medium, for them to grow, or to rise, or to strengthen,” he said.

“Those who are working in the name of [the Islamic State inside Afghanistan] are definitely Pakistani militia forces,” he added. “Some of them have been captured and ID cards found on them, […] And they are very well supplied. That we know for a fact.”
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Unlike Microsoft, Google has its geography correct, no NEPA and such.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/punjab/11- ... -in-punjab
LAHORE: A delegation of Google, led by its Vice President Rajan Anandan for South Asia and South Eastern Asia, met Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif on Thursday.

It was agreed in the meeting to promote cooperation between the Punjab government and Google in information technology sector.
PS: IMO, Microsoft has a "NEPA" - North Africa, Eastern Mediterranean and Pakistan" division, because they were afraid about sending Indians to Pakistan. Hopefully, this is one of the distortions that Satya Nadella will eventually correct. Google is much more sensible, it seems.
Last edited by A_Gupta on 12 Sep 2015 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

ISI Picks Taliban Leaders: Mansour Dadullah- Senior Taliban Commander [*][/url]

[*] So much for the tall claim that the Taliban movement and the various Non - State Actors (directed against India) is not controlled by the :mrgreen: Deep State
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Balochistan Law Maker Accuses Pakistan Government Of Changing Demographics In His Province
ISLAMABAD:

A lawmaker from Balochistan stunned many on Tuesday after he revealed that the government had secretly brought some demographic n changes in various districts of Balochistan.
The government settled four million people in various parts of Balochistan in the past three decades,” Senator Jehanzeb Jamaldini told lawmakers in a meeting of the Senate’s Standing Committee on Interior. “With broader demographic changes in the province, the government is converting the majority into a minority.”
Another senator from Balochistan, Mir Kabeer, sought legislation over the issue so that the new settlers[*] are either barred from voting or living in the province. “Thousands of settlers are being settled in various constituencies just to change election results.”
[*] This is a well co-ordinated strategy by the Pakjabi dominated establishment to settle Pakjabis in other provinces ( allotment of land to Pakjabi ex faujis, bring in "out of province" labourers in Baloch areas, change in the Shia- Sunni ratio in Gilgit/Baltistan )
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

How to Pick Up Girls in Pakistan [*]
Hey everyone, I'm an 18 year old Pakistani-American (born in the US) and my family and I are planning to visit Pakistan next summer. As you can tell from the title, I was wondering how easy is it nowadays to pick up girls in Pakistan? Keep in mind that my grandparents (from my mother's side) live in Lahore, both of my uncles are in Islamabad, and my aunt in Karachi so I won't be going to any ultra conservative Taliban/Mullah areas obviously. I've heard from many others that Pakistan is fairly modern nowadays, and drinking and smoking marijuana are common among the youth, as is dating. Where do I find Pakistani girls my age? I've seen Youtube videos of Pakistan and I don't really see that many girls in the streets walking. Do most of them stay inside their homes and help cook/clean with their moms? Will I be looked at oddly in the street if I go up to one and start talking with her? How easy are Pakistani women from major cities in general? Do they like American accents? How common are girls that wear the hijab and are the also approachable or should I stay away from them? Do Pakistani women not care about looks and care more about high-status professions like lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc. or is this just a lie that my mom is telling me so I can do well in school? jazakallah
[*]Can any of BRF forum members help this 18 year old Paki- American with his "unique query" :mrgreen:
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Viv S wrote:A nice read. Pragmatic chap.

The Pakistani press prince of Kiev
How Mohammad Zahoor became a Ukrainian ‘minigarch.’

By TUNKU VARADARAJAN 9/10/15

KIEV — On September 19 next week, the Kyiv Post will complete 20 years of existence, 20 years in which this tenacious newsweekly with a print circulation of little more than 15,000 has consistently scrapped and punched above its weight.

This is in part because it publishes in English, making it the source of first resort for news on Ukraine for embassies in Kiev and chanceries around the world, as well as for any expat doing business in this country of simpatico citizens and venal officialdom.

The other element of its success has been its consistent, and cussed, independence. The paper tells it arrow-straight in a part of the world where much of the media twists the news to suit the interests of oligarch owners and corrupt politicians.

By contrast, the record shows that the Kyiv Post gets the story right most of the time; and apart from a few instances of turbulence between owner and editors, the quality of its journalism is not inferior to any reputable publication in the West. Staid it may be on occasion, but it’s never dodgy or unreliable.

I am in Koncha-Zaspa, a zippy 30-minute drive south of Kiev in a daredevil local journalist’s car. This is a wooded suburb of the capital, dotted with mansions of questionable taste, some grotesque.

By the standards of the zip code, Mohammad Zahoor’s pile is restrained, though it could hardly be called understated. The security is relaxed — one man at the gate who waves us through, another who ushers us to a parking spot; and as we descend from our car, a tall Pakistani man, about 6-foot-2, approaches us. It’s Zahoor, Ukraine’s richest expat, a “minigarch” worth about $1 billion (some say), and the owner of the Kyiv Post.

Zahoor is 60 years old, though his jet-black hair isn’t a day older than 30. His physique suggests regular trips to the gym. He is a virile chap, with two little toddlers to prove it. They’re twins — Arabella and Mirabella — his daughters with his wife Kamaliya, a bombshell blonde who was Mrs. World in 2008, and is today a singer of some repute not just in Ukraine but in those parts of Europe where the pop culture is unfussy.

We banter with Zahoor’s twins for a while before they’re whisked off by a posse of nannies (I count four). A housekeeper brings us chai made in the way of the Indian subcontinent, strong brick-red tea with lots of milk and sugar. After a few sips — the tea is hot, and we slurp noisily — Zahoor starts to reminisce. His speech is languid, his accent a mix of Pakistan and Britain. “You want to know my story?” he asks.

Men of steel

The owner of the Kyiv Post arrived in Moscow in 1974 on an engineering scholarship. He’d been at college in Karachi, and when he learned of his selection by the Soviet education ministry his parents were on a pilgrimage to Mecca, so he left without telling them. He was one of 42 students flown in from Pakistan: 14 stayed in Moscow, 14 went to St. Petersburg, and 14 unlucky ones — among them Zahoor — were put on a train to Donetsk, a shabby, polluted industrial backwater in then-eastern Soviet Ukraine. Showing early acumen, he changed $40 on the black market before embarking on the 32-hour journey. “I’m from Pakistan. I wouldn’t sell my dollars at the official rate!”

Zahoor studied engineering and steel-making at Donetsk, turning in a thesis on the rolling plant at the Donetsk Steel Mill in 1980. “Sixteen years later I bought that mill,” he says, with obvious — but not off-putting — satisfaction. He returned to Pakistan shortly after with a Russian wife, and worked for Pakistan Steel. “I was a safety engineer. We translated Russian safety manuals into English.”

This was the time of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and Zahoor’s Russian wife excited the suspicion of Pakistani intelligence. “‘Why are you getting letters from Russia at your home?’ they asked me. ‘Because my wife is Russian!’ I said!” The spooks, unimpressed, made it clear that Zahoor’s professional prospects were limited if he were to remain married to a Russian. So he left for Moscow in 1987, to work for a Pakistani trading company, helping his employers make a fortune buying Russian steel at $100 a ton and selling it abroad for $250. “We bought 10,000 tons in all — $1.5 million in profit!”

It wasn’t long before Zahoor started his own business, in partnership with a Thai steelmaker. By the early 1990s, “we were making $40-50 million profit per annum.” In 1996, he bought the Donetsk mill he’d studied as a student, turning a shambolic post-Soviet plant into “a state-of-the-art steel mill.” Those were lawless days, however. “It was President [Leonid] Kuchma’s time. Dinosaurs could just roll up and take your business away.” One of those, the oligarch Rinat Akhmetov, tried to do just that. Zahoor fought back, and he recalls “the Kiev Post took up my case.” Bowing to reality, Zahoor made a pact with another oligarch, Viktor Nusenkis, which kept Akhmetov at bay. But Zahoor’s victory was Pyrrhic: He had to cede 90 percent of the plant to Nusenkis.

“I continued in steel until 2008, buying mills in the U.S., the U.K., and Serbia, and building a mill in Dubai. We had two piers in Odessa port.” Presciently, he got out of the steel business in 2008 — just before the recession — selling his whole caboodle for $1 billion to Vadim Varshavsky, an oligarch who went bankrupt not long after. It was at this point, having rid himself of the steel that had brought him so much joy and so much pain, that Zahoor bought the Kyiv Post from Jed Sunden, its American founder-owner, for $1.1 million. (Born the Kiev Post, the paper later changed its name to Kyiv, adopting an alternative English-language spelling for the capital that many here say better reflects the way it is pronounced in the Ukrainian language.)

“I invested in real estate, hospitality, trading, and media,” says Zahoor. “In my portfolio, the Kyiv Post is at the top. Not financially, of course, as it loses me $20,000 a month. But it has pride of place. It carries a message to the government: ‘This is your country, and you have to be good to it and your countrymen.’”

Six years after he bought the Post, Zahoor is still enamored of his purchase — and proud of it. “It has never been considered to be a neutral newspaper by the governments of the day, although it clearly is. Because we tell the truth, governments have considered us to be the ‘opposition.’ But [current President Petro] Poroshenko knows me well and knows I’m non-partisan.”

Mohammad Zahoor outside his home in Ukraine | Tunku Varadarajan

Zahoor can be uncomplimentary about the Poroshenko government. “They talk too much but they do too little. When they’re kicked in their asses, they make a big show of doing something. But it’s like they’re pretending.” I press him on Poroshenko, and, in particular, on his campaign promise to divest himself of his chocolate assets if elected president. (Poroshenko is the Chocolate King of Ukraine, holding a majority stake in the Roshen Confectionary Corp., Ukraine’s premier sweets business.) “Poroshenko,” says Zahoor, “promised to sell his business once he came to power but he never did. In fact, he’s the only person in the country whose worth has actually increased in the current economic depression.”

“I’d say all this to him if he were sitting at the table with us right now. I’d remind him of all his promises.”

Romantic holiday in Pakistan

The Kyiv Post isn’t Zahoor’s only romantic attachment. The very mention of Kamaliya, his wife, is enough to make him beam like a beacon. It’s an unlikely pairing, that of the Pakistani tycoon and the brassy provincial crooner, and I ask him how it all came about. The answer is unexpected.

“VAT,” he says. “VAT brought us together.” Value-added tax, I exclaim, wondering whether the abbreviation meant something else in Ukraine — Very Alluring Talent, perhaps? “Yes. VAT is a big issue here in this country. Everybody tries to get it back. You try to use whatever connection you’ve got. In 2003, I had a meeting with the deputy director of the tax authority. He was a family friend of Kamaliya, and he brought her with him to the meeting.”

“I thought she was beautiful. He told me she was a singer. I said, ‘Let her sing something.’ So she sang a Ukrainian folk song a capella. I was a fan of Sarah Brightman all my life, and she was much better than Sarah Brightman!” Zahoor asked her for her phone number, and got it. The next week, he was marking Metallurgists’ Day — a vestige from the Soviet cultural calendar — at his Donetsk mill, and he asked Kamaliya if she’d come sing for the workers. She came.

They met a few more times in Kiev, and then Zahoor took her on holiday to Dubai, and then Pakistan. “There, I bought her a red sari, and told her we were going to a friend’s wedding. She protested, saying, ‘But in Indian movies the bride wears the red sari.’ But she wore it. I took her to a friend’s house where there were flowers, and a mullah. And there I asked her to marry me.”

“She said yes. This was two months after we’d first met.”

I ask Zahoor about Donetsk, the place — currently in the hands of Russian rebels — where he first studied and learned Russian, and for which he still retains great affection. “They never thought they were Russian,” he says. “They considered themselves Ukrainian, but of Russian origin, and with Russian language. But they’re afraid of being considered third-class citizens, which is why they’ve opted to fight. I’m against their fighting like that, but I think the moment has passed at which this can be resolved on an amicable basis.”

So what’s next in the conflict? “Somebody has to be more generous. I don’t think Russia and Donetsk will be more generous. Ukraine’s economy is down. Its back is to the wall. They have to let Donetsk go — they should let it go. Because this is bringing disaster to the Ukrainian economy. Let them go.”

What about Crimea? I ask. Here Zahoor draws on his own personal history as a Pakistani. “I have told the government so many times that this is like Kashmir. Kashmir is a disputed territory and Pakistan can never take it back from India. Crimea is now a part of Russia, and a part of Russia it will remain.”

“So let us remember … Crimea is Kashmir on the Black Sea.”
There were many like him. Most of them ended as fodder for mafia. Some were lucky. In 1990 I had chance to take commission in cement export. Met with the director and he halaled a goat in to celebrate the deal. He lived like local lord. Always surrounded by armed guard. He had connections. I think I still have that contract somewhere. I decided to concentrate on studies get out of the bloody hell ASAP. :((
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

Falijee wrote:How to Pick Up Girls in Pakistan [*]
Hey everyone, I'm an 18 year old Pakistani-American (born in the US) and my family and I are planning to visit Pakistan next summer. As you can tell from the title, I was wondering how easy is it nowadays to pick up girls in Pakistan? Keep in mind that my grandparents (from my mother's side) live in Lahore, both of my uncles are in Islamabad, and my aunt in Karachi so I won't be going to any ultra conservative Taliban/Mullah areas obviously. I've heard from many others that Pakistan is fairly modern nowadays, and drinking and smoking marijuana are common among the youth, as is dating. Where do I find Pakistani girls my age? I've seen Youtube videos of Pakistan and I don't really see that many girls in the streets walking. Do most of them stay inside their homes and help cook/clean with their moms? Will I be looked at oddly in the street if I go up to one and start talking with her? How easy are Pakistani women from major cities in general? Do they like American accents? How common are girls that wear the hijab and are the also approachable or should I stay away from them? Do Pakistani women not care about looks and care more about high-status professions like lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc. or is this just a lie that my mom is telling me so I can do well in school? jazakallah
[*]Can any of BRF forum members help this 18 year old Paki- American with his "unique query" :mrgreen:
One of the replies to above query on reddit.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

^^If Jhujar ji were to comment on the above in his inimitable style, it will be something like:
Jaan G@@n bacchhi Tau Lakkho Paayeen, Laut Kke Budddhu Gghar ko Aaayeeen
:lol:
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

If pakistan fails we will witness 100 times worse refugee crisis than what EU has now.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Why will refugees flood India if pakistan "fails" -- what is the definition of "failed state" that will cause this? Pakistan already fits the definition of a failed state -- if it fails any more, it will still remain as failed as it is now. This is the kind of argument used to pretend that "making peace" with pakistan is the only way out -- pakistan is the fortress of islam and India is not, so the pakis are going to stay where they are, and if at all they come into India, it is a terrorists...and they are all appropriately dealt with by the Indian Armed forces. This kind "paki refugees will flood India and we will be saddled with them" is nonsense. If pakistan breaks apart, India can work with whatever new power centers emerge, as they will well before the breakup happens.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan-Sept 05,

Post by Peregrine »

Tuvaluan wrote:Why will refugees flood India if pakistan "fails" -- what is the definition of "failed state" that will cause this? Pakistan already fits the definition of a failed state -- if it fails any more, it will still remain as failed as it is now. This is the kind of argument used to pretend that "making peace" with pakistan is the only way out -- pakistan is the fortress of islam and India is not, so the pakis are going to stay where they are, and if at all they come into India, it is a terrorists...and they are all appropriately dealt with by the Indian Armed forces. This kind "paki refugees will flood India and we will be saddled with them" is nonsense. If pakistan breaks apart, India can work with whatever new power centers emerge, as they will well before the breakup happens.
Tuvaluan Ji :

Just as there a "Millions and Millions" of Illegal Bangladeshi Muslims in India, it stands to reason that similarly Pakistani Muslims in their Millions are also in India via the Illegal Immigrants Route.

The Pakistani finding the "State of Pakistan" Failing will start coming to India not Ten Times the present Muslim swarming into Europe but at least a Hundred Times. The Indian Punjabis - Sikhs as well as Hindus - will receive them with open arms.

After all these Pakistanis have nowhere to go - neither Afghanistan nor Iran will take them. As such India has to prepare for a Mass Exodus of Pakistani Muslims flooding into India due to the deterioration of Order in Pakistan.

If Europe cannot stop the Flood of Muslims what hope do we have of India stopping the Pakistan Muslims Flooding into India.

Cheers Image
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

abhijitm wrote:If pakistan fails we will witness 100 times worse refugee crisis than what EU has now.

If Pakistan fails, the territory will be taken up by Hindu Bharat & refugees by China, Europe & US!
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Plij to leave punjabis alone. I am not one but the punjabis (except those politicians funded from outside) will want nothing to do with bakistanis. No one is crossing over in punjab. I cant say the same about j&k, and sparse rajasthan, gujarat. thats where they will flood.

do also note mass conversions among the refugees flooding oeurope. And then they are in pig pens. Just like another journey to australia.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Tuvaluan wrote:Why will refugees flood India if pakistan "fails" -- what is the definition of "failed state" that will cause this?
Pakistanis are swarming Europe as faux Syrians right now, because Pakistan is failing.

If India is successful and passes through the mid-income trap, India will become a destination as well; an easier one, actually.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Pak ex-military officers celebrate ‘victory’ over India at gala :roll:
Mississauga, September 11 (CINEWS): In the minds of millions of Pakistanis, India received a military trouncing in the 1965 war. Last Sunday, hundreds of ex-Pakistani military officers and their families who’ve moved to Canada over the years held a victory celebratory gala in Mississauga. protest
Pro-India groups ignored the event but outside the hall were a handful of outraged Baloch Canadians protesting the event. According to reports, besides celebrating Pakistan’s ‘victory’ over India in the 1965 war, they spewed venom and indulged in propaganda designed to turn the next generation anti-Indian too.[*]
The Baloch protesters are upset that many of these ex-army military officers who are being allowed into the country even though some of them may be having blood on their hands. The war against the separatists in Balochistan is considered Pakistan’s dirty little secret and there have been dozens of documented war crimes being committed by the armed forces against separatists dubbed terrorists.
According to sources Canada is a top destination for Pakistan’s military personnel who allegedly bring their ill-gotten wealth. “Many of them are buying million dollar plus properties in and around the GTA and buy small businesses as fronts,” said a source.
Tarek Fatah an influential journalist and activist who was among the protesters demanded the Canadian Government to ban the ‘Pakistan Armed Forces Association of Canada’ as an outfit of war criminals and deport them back to Pakistan.
[*] Pakistanayat in full display !
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Begum Beater, Cheater & Worm Eating Tiitar Dip-Low-Muttr

India-Pakistan: hyphenated
Washington’s decision to “de-hyphenate” US policies towards India and Pakistan. This decision followed an American determination to build India as a bulwark against China’s rising power. Washington entered into a formal defence pact and a civil nuclear cooperation agreement with India, notwithstanding the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons’ (NPT) prohibition of such cooperation with a non-party to the treaty.Since then, external nuclear fuel supplies have opened the way for the exponential expansion of India’s nuclear programme, and $100 billion in advanced weapons have flowed annually into India from the US, Israel, France and others, entrenching New Delhi’s intransigence on Kashmir and bellicosity towards Pakistan.Pakistan’s early warning that the Indian build-up would oblige it to enhance reliance on its nuclear and missile capabilities was brushed aside in Washington. Perversely, the US has continued attempts to restrain and restrict Pakistan’s defensive response rather than India’s aggressive armament.
New proposals are again being pressed on Pakistan to restrict its testing and deployment of short- and long-range missiles, accept a fissile materials ‘cut-off’ and even to unilaterally sign the nuclear test ban treaty (without waiting for India). In exchange, officials and think tanks in Washington have offered to support Pakistan’s desire to be treated as a ‘normal’ state in its quest for membership of the Nuclear Suppliers’ Group (NSG).Washington’s belief that some senior Pakistani officials are prepared to consider such an unequal bargain is disturbing. It could yield another Ufa. National security should not be sacrificed for job security.The US has perhaps become convinced that strategic concessions can be extracted from Islamabad’s leaders in exchange for personal perks and political gestures. In the summer of 2008, as the last PPP government assumed office, this writer was stopped midway from proceeding to friendly capitals to mobilise support for a vote in the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board on the US-India Nuclear Safeguards Agreement. Several NPT parties had expressed deep reservations on the agreement. A vote in the IAEA board would have formalised their opposition and foreclosed a consensus in the NSG.
The subsequent quest for membership of the NSG is a fool’s errand. In Western eyes, Pakistan will never be a ‘normal’ state so long as it is Islamic and a nuclear power. It is unlikely to be granted entry into the NSG without major concessions. Western nuclear plants will not be sold to Pakistan, nor can it afford them.On the other hand, Pakistan has mastered the nuclear fuel cycle. It is in a position to offer civilian nuclear cooperation to developing countries, including Islamic countries. It is the NSG which should be asking Pakistan to join the suppliers’ club to ensure that such cooperation adheres to international standards. There is no reason for Pakistan to plead for NSG membership.Given the real and present danger of a devastating conflict between Pakistan and India, the US should stop and Pakistan. Strategic restraint by Pakistan will be possible only if it is mutual and reciprocal with IndiaIndia’s militarisation and seek military de-escalation and arms control in South Asia. But to succeed in this objective, it will need to put the hyphen back in its policies towards India .
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Jhujar ji: In short Munir Akram of Switzerland, I presume. :twisted:
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

How Mohammad Zahoor became a Ukrainian ‘minigarch':
What the article did not mention, the current wife Kamiliya, the blond beauty queen is the trophy wife. MZ had a first wife and two kids before. I guess that was the one that helped him to stay on in the country and be able to start a business. But what goes my father?
Gautam
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

vayu tuvan wrote:Jhujar ji: In short Munir Akram of Switzerland, I presume. :twisted:
And Nyc!! He was Paki At UNO and once changed Sharif's whole speech on his own.