Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan-Sept 05, 2015

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan-Sept 05,

Post by Kashi »

Anujan wrote:Military space is not a contested space. There is only one army.
But there is the "bad Taliban" and before that there was the Mukti Bahini. The latter succeeded in taking over the military space from the fauj in Mashriqi Pakistan, of course India gladly facilitated that by kicking TSP arse all over the delta, but that was a bitter pill for the the fauj to swallow.

They are mortified that another Mukti Bahini, if and when aided by "India" will expose their "crown jewels" (or the lack of them) for what they are.

Thus, the battle of perception, paranoia, euphoria over Zarb-e-kabz even after the balloon was punctured in Peshawar.

You see many of these articles started coming out AFTER Badhaber. Why? I believe for two reasons

1. To reassert that Bad Sharif is in control and

2. Premeptively warn off those who may even contemplate publishing or publicly (or for that matter privately) expressing any views that may even border on criticism of the fauj and Jarnail Sharif.

The fauj remains as insecure as ever. They are fully in control of the TSP apparatus, yet they are insecure to the extent that even a hint of unfavourable views must be snuffed out.

Now why would that be? Could it be because the waahid musalamaan aitami kuwwat is actually nuke nude?

Or are they aware that something is coming that will put them in a Mashraqi Pakistan situation and they'll be able to do nothing about it?

Some very interesting signals coming from the cesspool.
Malayappan
BRFite

Post by Malayappan »

http://conservativepapers.com/news/2015 ... ocal-women

Many data points in that piece on pakistan.
On the busy shopping street in Giessen, a German university town twinned with Winchester, migrant Atif Zahoor tucks into a chicken dish with his brother and cousin at the curry restaurant Chillie To Go.

They have left good jobs back in Karachi, Pakistan, and now want to be Europeans.

In late July the three slipped into Germany with their wives and children, using illegal documents. They live together in a five-bedroom house, rented for them by Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government, a 40-minute drive away from Giessen, which is home to the biggest migrants’ camp in the country.

‘We paid a trafficking agent for false visas to fly here to Germany,’ says 34-year-old Atif. ‘We claimed asylum and came to Giessen camp with other migrants. Three weeks ago, because we had families, they gave us a proper home.’

Atif is well-dressed and speaks perfect English. He used to be a transport manager at Karachi airport and is from a well-to-do family.
Many have deliberately thrown away their passports on their journey through Europe, so they can pretend to be Syrian refugees rather than economic migrants.
I meet Ali, who arrived eight days ago via Greece. He used to be a travel agent in Lahore, the cultural capital of Pakistan.

‘When I lost my job, I set out with six friends,’ he says. ‘There is every nation in the camp — a lot from Pakistan, like me. I chose Germany because they want us here.’
I meet Janaid Jamshad, a 25-year-old former student.

Also from Lahore, he has been here for ten days. ‘I came to Germany first in 2013 and they pushed me out again,’ he says with a laugh. ‘I came back when I heard Mrs Merkel was opening the doors. I have claimed asylum and they are processing my application. Because I am young, I hope they will take me.’
Hope for the paki faithful in kaffirland -
‘My children deserve a better life than in Pakistan,’ says Atif. ‘They will grow up happy in Germany.’
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

When I was living in Berlin some 80,000 Pakistanis claimed political asylum, this was back in 1977 or so. Practically no one was given that status. Germans know how to weed out Pakistanis. It may take one or two years but it will be done. In the meantime they will work and help the local industries at low cost. A very small number will stay on by marrying local girls, but Pakistanis are not considered as desirable marriage material.
Gautam
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Belief in the specious Mohammadden religion justified supremacist idea that because they are Mohammadden, 1 citizen of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan must equal 10 citizens of India because they are most likely on average to be Hindu, means that the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is convinced that can compete with India who have a population and economy around 8X of the Islamic Republic :roll: , with anxiety creeping in when the find they cannot keep up because 1 citizen of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan now amounts to less than 1 citizen of India :lol: .

The Good Haqqani, former Ambassador of the Islamic republic of Pakistan, Husain Haqqani, counsels his countrymen in the Islamic Republic not to compete with India:

Stop Constant Competition With India: Husain Haqqani to Pakistan
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Anujan wrote:"coverage"). Nobody dares criticize the Zchief.
Long Live Bad Sharif (EBUH*)!!

*Extensions Be Upon Him!!
It will Self Induced Extezion!!
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

https://www.facebook.com/ahmed.siddiqui ... 881068350/

Rangers showing Mardanagi in Karachi. No need to shed tears for the Mohajirs though. They probably do the same to the Hindus of that city
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^. That is why they have to keep saying "RAW agents", to justify this.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Gagan wrote:The fauj's gripe was that Bhutto turned the whole hate India thing into a jingoistic fervor and the fauj actually ended up getting pitted militarily against India - something the Pak Fauj would rather never do.

After the '65 experience, they must have realized that overt warfare was not winnable.

Bhutto, in a way actually called the fauj's bluff on the whole martial thing. If they had not taken him out, it was only a matter of time before he would have made the fauj irrelevent, post their shame of '71, and consolidated all power in him.

Which leads me to wonder that, what would happen, if a strong, jingoistic PM came into power in Pakistan.
We know what happened when Mushy came to power, he tried Kargil, got slapped into his senses, then calmed down.

So badmash or hubby at the helm are ok, because they are benign. If a jingoistic individual comes into power as either the COAS or the PM of Al Bakistan, they will get taken in by the martial-mard-e-moneen thingie and try things.
Saar,
How is it possible for a foreign minister to be so influential as to take a nation to war? Why would Ayub Khan blindly go with Bhutto's views?

It seems to me that the only reasonable possibility is that Bhutto was a go between Ayub and Amirkhan. So, Bhutto's views were seen by Ayub as a Amirkhan views.

That means, it was Amirkhan which believed that dhesh was weak in 1965 and could be defeated. It gave all the necessary equipment and training to the Bakiland for the task. At the time, dhesh was having a famine(thanks to the glorious rule of chacha). Amirkhan seems to be aware of that and calculated that dhesh would not have the political will to go for a war. Kudos to the political leadership of dhesh at that time and also the population of the time for standing up to such enormous challenge.

I think Amirkhan would have been well aware of military capabilities of the dhesh and gave to pakistan what they thought would be enough to tackle it. Bakis deliberately didn't put any soldiers in pakjab to not tick off the dheshi spies. In short, Bakis and their handlers were well-prepared and it was a good move at dhesh's weakest time. Dhesh was able to handle it thanks to the political leadership of the day.
In May 1964, Indian Defence Minister Yashwantrao Chavan made a visit to the Pentagon, the HQ of the American defence department. Chavan, who was trying to rapidly modernise the Indian military, requested the Americans to sell India the F-104 Starfighter – the most advanced jet fighter of that era.

Although the US had supplied the F-104 and the F-86 Sabres in large numbers – virtually free of cost – to Pakistan, India’s request was rebuffed in an extremely crude manner.

In his brilliant little book, ‘1965 War: The Inside Story’, former Maharashtra chief secretary R.D. Pradhan narrates what US Defence Secretary Robert McNamara told Chavan: “Mr Minister, your air force is like a museum. I wonder whether you are aware of the variety of aircraft in your air force. You are still operating with Hunters, Spitfires, Vampires, Liberators, Harvards – exotic names of World War II vintage. All these aircraft are only worthy of finding a place in a museum.”

McNamara suggested that until India disbanded that fleet, it was no use acquiring any sophisticated aircraft.

What the American secretary said was offensive – and true. Although the US did not offer any help, what India did with its antiquated planes and vintage tanks remains the stuff of legend. Pradhan says, “With that background, it was an exhilarating moment when some of those junk planes, such as the Mysteres, Vampires and Hunters performed brilliantly against Pakistan’s sophisticated F-86s. In fact, the indigenously built Gnat, a small beaver-like fighter, brought down several F-86s.”
Link

This shows that America was well-aware of the capabilities of India and Pakistan. It helped Pakistan with weapons but rebuffed India. I don't think it was a co-incidence at all. Pakistan fought its war totally with American weapons. It should have been a cakewalk for Pakistan to win 1965 war. So, they perhaps thought India would not escalate. Well, India not only escalated but Pakistan narrowly managed to save Lahore.(And its a huge mistake by India that India has not occupied Lahore till day despite so many wars).
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

johneeG wrote:How is it possible for a foreign minister to be so influential as to take a nation to war? Why would Ayub Khan blindly go with Bhutto's views?

It seems to me that the only reasonable possibility is that Bhutto was a go between Ayub and Amirkhan. So, Bhutto's views were seen by Ayub as a Amirkhan views.
johneeG, there is no doubt that the US has been a great pillar of strength to Pakistan in its misadventures. The US equipped its armed forces with a force structure disproportionate to its requirements knowing pretty well that Pakistan will use the weapons only against India; the US provided moral and diplomatic support that emboldened the Pakistanis in their misadventure; the Americans invented reasons (such as the insecurity theory that more arms would make Pakistan feel less insecure against a much larger adversary and wean it away from misadventures) to justify their supply of modern arms and ammunition to a country that was bent upon creating trouble; the Americans 'allowed' the Pakistanis build the ultimate weapon by winking at all their vertical illegal proliferation activities etc. The list is long. No one can dispute any of these facts.

However, I am unable to believe that ZAB carried out American orders to fight a war with India in 1965. ZAB and the US were daggers drawn at each other. Ayub Khan was much, much closer to the American establishment and he did not need a go-between with them, especially a ZAB. The US-Pakistan relationship had deteriorated after the 1962 supply of arms etc to India by the Kennedy administration. It deteriorated further as soon as LBJ took over Presidency. IIRC, LBJ & ZAB had a very frosty meeting even during the last rites of Kennedy were taking place. The Pakistanis directly accused the US of not coming to their help in 1965 and this was a turning point in further worsening of the US-Pak relationship. The ZAB-US relationship progressively worsened and never mended.

On the question of the US rebuffing Indian request, I do not find anything wrong in that since the US operates only under the doctrine of 'realpolitik'. India had already burned the bridges with the US on many issues (right or wrong is unimportant here). JFK said that Nehru's state visit to the US in 1961 was the 'worst head-of-state visit' ever. Nehru wore his anti-Americanism on his sleeve and was very proud of that much like his pseudo-secularism. We had already come under the Soviet influence by 1965 even though we may claim we were only 'non-aligned'. Let that argument be reserved for the external world.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

It is possible that this was one reason ZIa hanged Bhutto. The army believed that Bhutto's ambitions led Ayub and Yahya up the garden path leading to the humiliation of 1971 and the army having to bear the cross.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Please do watch this video. This has syed tariq haram pir-zada (takla), Lt Gen (Retard) Amjad Shoaib, and one Rana Akhtar Javed (who's written a book on pak foj), belching out all their faujis fears, crying wolf and displaying their collective neuroses. The discourse is exactly the type of talk that would happen in the crore commanders barracks.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

SSridhar wrote:
johneeG wrote:How is it possible for a foreign minister to be so influential as to take a nation to war? Why would Ayub Khan blindly go with Bhutto's views?

johneeG, there is no doubt that the US has been a great pillar of strength to Pakistan in its misadventures. The US equipped its armed forces with a force structure disproportionate to its requirements knowing pretty well that Pakistan will use the weapons only against India; the US provided moral and diplomatic support that emboldened the Pakistanis in their misadventure; the Americans invented reasons (such as the insecurity theory that more arms would make Pakistan feel less insecure against a much larger adversary and wean it away from misadventures) to justify their supply of modern arms and ammunition to a country that was bent upon creating trouble; the Americans 'allowed' the Pakistanis build the ultimate weapon by winking at all their vertical illegal proliferation activities etc. The list is long. No one can dispute any of these facts.

However, I am unable to believe that ZAB carried out American orders to fight a war with India in 1965. ZAB and the US were daggers drawn at each other. Ayub Khan was much, much closer to the American establishment and he did not need a go-between with them, especially a ZAB. The US-Pakistan relationship had deteriorated after the 1962 supply of arms etc to India by the Kennedy administration. It deteriorated further as soon as LBJ took over Presidency. IIRC, LBJ & ZAB had a very frosty meeting even during the last rites of Kennedy were taking place. The Pakistanis directly accused the US of not coming to their help in 1965 and this was a turning point in further worsening of the US-Pak relationship. The ZAB-US relationship progressively worsened and never mended.

On the question of the US rebuffing Indian request, I do not find anything wrong in that since the US operates only under the doctrine of 'realpolitik'. India had already burned the bridges with the US on many issues (right or wrong is unimportant here). JFK said that Nehru's state visit to the US in 1961 was the 'worst head-of-state visit' ever. Nehru wore his anti-Americanism on his sleeve and was very proud of that much like his pseudo-secularism. We had already come under the Soviet influence by 1965 even though we may claim we were only 'non-aligned'. Let that argument be reserved for the external world.
SSridhar saar,

a) I don't think Bhaarath was really in Soviet orbit in 1964 totally. There was really no reason to rebuff Bhaarath's requests unless America knew about the impending war plans of Pakistan and wanted Pakistan to win. I think Bhaarath decisively moved into Soviet orbit during Indira's time. That also is interesting point: why did Indira moved the country totally into Soviet orbit? She could have also tried to balance both cold-war sides like Nehru did.

b) About non-alignment: I think Nehru listened to both sides of cold war unlike Indira who was totally in Soviet camp. To be clear: I don't mean to say that Nehru was some great statesman. I think both sides of cold war knew how to deal with Nehru and they were successful in getting what they wanted.

c) About Bhutto & America: I don't know about the personal relationship of Bhutto with American leadership. But, the reason for my conjecture on Bhutto's role is as follows:
I have seen this particular theme by many pakistani analysts where they conclude that Ayub Khan was blindly led by Bhutto. And that seems very very strange to me. Ayub Khan was a military man who managed to grab the power. Bhutto was nothing before him. And why would any military man believe a civilian's analysis on war issues? That is only possible if that civilian is actually conveying the views of someone else who the military man respects. Bhutto is ideally placed(as a foreign minister) to be middle-man with foreign countries. America gave all the help that it could to Pakistan to prepare it for 1965 war. So, I conclude that Bhutto must have been the go-between as a foreign minister.

d) If Bhutto was really responsible for misguiding Ayub Khan and rest of the Pakistan Army in 1965, then he would have been halaled in 1965 itself.

e) I think it was a fair assessment that Dhesh should have lost the war in 1965 because it lacked technology and was in dire famine at the time apart from being desperately poor. Further, chacha was afraid of coup and therefore filled the top ranks with his loyalists and kept the whole armed forces weak. Given all these conditions, it was remarkable feat for the political leadership of the day to have achieved such great results.
Last edited by johneeG on 27 Sep 2015 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Paul wrote:https://www.facebook.com/ahmed.siddiqui ... 881068350/

Rangers showing Mardanagi in Karachi. No need to shed tears for the Mohajirs though. They probably do the same to the Hindus of that city
One readers comment sums it all:
Maqbooza Karachi
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

ZAB had it coming.
1. He was disliked by the Americans for being too much of a talker. He was directly accusing their Mai Baap of abandoning them. He must have tried that "Aakhon mein aakhein daal ke baat karna" (looking the US eye to eye - or telling them things on their face). Unfortunately, the Pakistanis don't realize that they are poor slaves, living on hand-me-downs and they don't really have the aukaat to do an aakhon mein aankh with anyone, let alone the prime four father.

2. ZAB for all his rabble rousing within pakistan, and wheeling and dealing, and being a slimy SOB, created such a ruckus, that things took a life of their own. He was the one who gave a lot of fuel to anti-bengali sentiment, and then the fauj was caught in the whirlwind. Initially people must have enjoyed the firm, pakjabi, suaveness of that rising star, who did a lot of plain and forceful talking.

I think the pak fauj has been for ever been careful of those bloody civilians since then. They more than anyone else will prefer a dumb civilian as a PM. That is why Nawaz's alternative is Imran !
jash_p
BRFite

Post by jash_p »

Paul

You are wrong ! It is not Paki showing Mardangi but Armed Punjabis are torturing unarmed Sindhis.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Long and exciting Sunday t'was:

Kerala government website hacked by Pakistani hackers

Last time the pakis hacked Mohanlal's site (thinking he was some high ranking Indian military officer) all hell broke loose and the mallu biradiri took down 15 of theirs within 4 hours or so, as well as conducted a million ghali-march through their army FB pages, bringing it down. This time the kids rolled out an A10 Gatling and walked its fire through their cyberspace :lol:

More than 120 Pak websites hacked in response to defacing of Kerala govt website

(still counting)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

India's Pak policy straight from BRF :)
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

What is Ganja Sharif doing encircled by the tricolour??

I did not get the joke..Is this a part of the hack job on Paki websites?
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^^
Someone having a little joke at Nawaz Sharif's expense. Probably related to Mr. Zuckerberg changing his profile pic on Facebook earlier today to this:
Mr. Zuckerberg also requested others to do the same :).

Hat tip: AmberG who first posted about MZ changing his profile picture here: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 5#p1906745
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

^^

Now imagine if Taariq Peerzada saw that....
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile.. Paki supreme court is listening to Modi, and to do a = = passed a law that directs Prime Minister and the President to deliver speeches in Urdu language whether inside or outside the country.

But it looks like Sharif is going to use English ..
So I hope other Sharif throws him in the jail when he does that..

( Nawaz Sharif will face the charges of contempt of court for making his speech in English language instead of Urdu --- the statement itself, BTW was in English. :eek: )
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>Nehru wore his anti-Americanism on his sleeve and was very proud of that much like his pseudo-secularism.

And his braying fm Krishna Menon did the same in a sustained way and for a long time as well... Preaching all sorts of idealistic nonsense without the power to back it up in almost any way.
Bhurishrava
BRFite

Post by Bhurishrava »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34333470
Some also express fears about an emerging cult of personality around Army Chief General Raheel Sharif.
Posters of him have appeared on billboards throughout Pakistan's biggest city Karachi. Mysterious websites, which seem to have access to images sourced from the military, praise him to the skies.
BTW PM Modi didnt say a word about Pakistan in his UN speech. So ignoring the mosquito seems to be the policy as of now.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

JE Menon wrote:>>Nehru wore his anti-Americanism on his sleeve and was very proud of that much like his pseudo-secularism.

And his braying fm Krishna Menon did the same in a sustained way and for a long time as well... Preaching all sorts of idealistic nonsense without the power to back it up in almost any way.
To some extent, Indian 'anti-Americanism' was based on genuine policy disputes. And in hindsight, India was arguably correct.

The USA was involved in a serious misadventure in Vietnam. Indians warned the US of the potential dire consequences and, in no way, would India offer the USA any support. That did not endear India to the US military establishment.

Nixon/Kissinger (like Churchill) hated Hindus and considered us weak. They had a man crush on Pakistan and China (they loved governments that engaged in genocide).

Mrs. Gandhi outwitted Nixon/Kissinger with the Russian Friendship Treaty -- but, contrary to what was being written in US media, India did not become a Soviet satellite.

Again, in the 1980s, Mrs. Gandhi sent emissaries to warn the Reagan Administration of the long-term consequences of siding with Islamic fundamentalists in the Afghan War. Reagan's people listened politely but felt they could ride the tiger. Mrs. Gandhi was right and the USA was again wrong.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

komal wrote:Again, in the 1980s, Mrs. Gandhi sent emissaries to warn the Reagan Administration of the long-term consequences of siding with Islamic fundamentalists in the Afghan War. Reagan's people listened politely but felt they could ride the tiger. Mrs. Gandhi was right and the USA was again wrong.
Ironically, at the same time Mrs. Gandhi was attempting to ride the Khalistani and Tamil tigers simultaneously and probably had begun to realise the folly of some of it at least.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

Kashi wrote:
komal wrote:Again, in the 1980s, Mrs. Gandhi sent emissaries to warn the Reagan Administration of the long-term consequences of siding with Islamic fundamentalists in the Afghan War. Reagan's people listened politely but felt they could ride the tiger. Mrs. Gandhi was right and the USA was again wrong.
Ironically, at the same time Mrs. Gandhi was attempting to ride the Khalistani and Tamil tigers simultaneously and probably had begun to realise the folly of some of it at least.
Well said. Her inability to practice what she preached was her downfall.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Gagan wrote:
Paul wrote:https://www.facebook.com/ahmed.siddiqui ... 881068350/

One readers comment sums it all:
Maqbooza Karachi
this is exactly what they did in bangladesh too. scumbags.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Karan M wrote:this is exactly what they did in bangladesh too. scumbags.
Inshallah, this will have the same outcome...
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: US-Pak relationship directed against India - Ver I

Post by SSridhar »

johneeG wrote:a) I don't think Bhaarath was really in Soviet orbit in 1964 totally. There was really no reason to rebuff Bhaarath's requests unless America knew about the impending war plans of Pakistan and wanted Pakistan to win. I think Bhaarath decisively moved into Soviet orbit during Indira's time. That also is interesting point: why did Indira moved the country totally into Soviet orbit? She could have also tried to balance both cold-war sides like Nehru did.
I agree with the bolded part (emphasis mine) above. It was not, but the signs were unmistakable.

We have to look separately at the political and economic relationships. That Nehru was a socialist with communist leanings was known to the entire world even before he became India's PM. In fact, one hope of the British government was that Nehru's socialism which he included in INC's political manifesto of 1936 (before the Provincial Assembly elections under the new GoI 1935 Act) would by itself lead to the defeat of the INC in elections and blunt the INC. One of the fears of the landlords in United Provinces, the Punjab and Bengal was that they would lose their land holdings if INC came to power under Nehru and the Muslim league exploited that fear of the Muslim landlords. Nehru forcefully implemented his socialistic policies after Independence and the US which sought a MFN-type relationship with us was put off by these policies. There is a very blurred line between communism and socialism. On the political front too, India, which had already acquired a fierce reputation for being the voice of freedom from oppression by colonialists, did not condemn the highhanded suppression by the Soviet Union of the Hungarian uprising in 1956. The Indian position in the Korean War (1950-53), or PRC's entry into the UN showed a leaning towards the Communist ideology. Eisenhower opined that Nehru was “falling for the Moscow line — buying their entire bill of goods”. How could Tito, General Secretary of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia, be a non-aligned leader? So, it is not true that until Mrs. Gandhi we were neutral. We might not have earlier had the sort of close relationship with the Soviet Union that we endured during Mrs. Gandhi's time, but our position in most matters that were of interest to the western world went against them and certainly appeared to be partial to the Communist bloc.

Nehru's principal foreign policy advisor during this period was the acerbic, but sharp, Communist-sympathizer Krishna Menon, whose far-left views (the INC had considerable leftists within the party with many of them having had education in London which was a den for communism) were well known to everybody. The American Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles, after a visit to India talked publicly of Communist interference in Nehru's cabinet (Not that Dulles needs to be a touchstone because he was an inveterate India-hater but the impression was accurate).

I am not venturing into Ms. IG's time because the discussion is about whether Bhutto carried out a war against India at the behest of the US and how justified was the US in turning down Indian request for F-104 Sabres.
c) About Bhutto & America: I don't know about the personal relationship of Bhutto with American leadership. But, the reason for my conjecture on Bhutto's role is as follows:
I have seen this particular theme by many Pakistani analysts where they conclude that Ayub Khan was blindly led by Bhutto. And that seems very very strange to me. Ayub Khan was a military man who managed to grab the power. Bhutto was nothing before him. And why would any military man believe a civilian's analysis on war issues? That is only possible if that civilian is actually conveying the views of someone else who the military man respects. Bhutto is ideally placed(as a foreign minister) to be middle-man with foreign countries. America gave all the help that it could to Pakistan to prepare it for 1965 war. So, I conclude that Bhutto must have been the go-between as a foreign minister.
The US-Pak relationship was always very violent in terms of ups & downs. The Americans always distrusted the Pakistanis and the relationship used to swing to the verge of a collapse for one reason or another every now and then. But, certain American assumptions about Pakistan and the need for Pakistani support in its Cold war activities sustained the relationship. Just as other reasons sustained the relationship at other times. This is a recurring theme in the US-Pak equation and *will not* go away.

The same thing happened in the 60s. Ayub Khan seized power with the blessings of the Americans and imposed the Martial Law. The Pakistanis loved it. But, soon, the political & religious problems overtook him. He was forced to lift the Martial Law and accede to introduction of democracy. A man who once said that "democracy was suitable only for cold countries" had to introduce a new Constitution and allow political activities. So long as Martial law was in force and he had absolute powers, Gen. Ayub Khan was a confident man, especially with the support from the Americans in spite of the occasional hiccups. However, the lifting of the Martial Law made him feel insecure. He had to contest elections, for which purpose he resurrected the then defunct Muslim League and called it the Pakistani Muslim League (PML). The fast-rising and fiery orator ZA Bhutto caught Ayub's eyes and he was inducted into PML as a deputy leader. This deputy leader advised Gen. Ayub Khan to bestow upon himself the Field Marshal title so that he would forever remain atop the Generals even after democracy was introduced in Pakistan so that military coups to depose him could be averted. Ayub Khan liked that clever-by-half idea and elevated him as his Foreign Minister. As military relationship with the US deteriorated over various issues, the fiery Foreign Minister suggested a closer relationship with China to threaten and bring a semblance of balance. All these things enamoured ZAB to Bhutto and he began to trust him blindly.

In fact, the 1962 supply of arms to India by the US, the 1963 border agreement between Pak & China without taking the US into confidence in spite of being in CENTO, SEATO and having a Mutual Defence Agreement, ZAB's statement in their National Assembly in c. 1963 that if India attacked Pakistan, the "largest state in Asia" would come to its rescue, the aviation accord between China & Pakistan (SEATO & CENTO had barred such accords); Ayub Khan's refusal to attend Kennedy's funeral because he thought that the latter was India-friendly, LBJ's nasty response to ZAB just after the JFK funeral showed a level of unravelling of the US-Pak relationship. In May 1964, LBJ authorized USD 100M worth of arms sales annually to India. This was the time that India asked for F-104 and out of concern for a deteriorating US-Pak relationship, the US refused.
If Bhutto was really responsible for misguiding Ayub Khan and rest of the Pakistan Army in 1965, then he would have been halaled in 1965 itself
In late 1964, in the light of worsening US-Pak situation and his own political survival, FM Ayub Khan had formed a secretive Kashmir Cell to create trouble. The Cell was headed by the Foreign Secretary who of course reported to the hawkish Foreign Minister ZAB. In February 1965, this Cell put the (in)famous plan to FM Ayub Khan. However, Ayub Khan rejected that. In April that year the Rann of Kutch incident happened and the Indian Army decided to withdraw and the matter went to international arbitration. The Kashmir Cell pressed the issue further at this point of time. In May 1965, ZAB, as the foreign minister, wrote to Ayub, "the current relative superiority of the military forces of Pakistan in terms of quality and equipment was in danger of being overtaken". His assessment was based on the Soviet assistance and LBJ's announcement of USD 100M for the Indian armed forces. Ayub Khan eventually gave in and gave the green light on May 13, 1965. Op Gibraltar started on August 5-6. On Sep. 11, Ayub Khan realized that the war was over for Pakistan (according to Altaf Gauhar). Ayub & ZAB secretly flew to meet the "largest Asian friend who was expected to come to Pakistan's help" but that friend advised that Pakistan should continue to fight even if they have to "withdraw to the hills" in the true spirit of Long March and communist revolutions. Ayub had to send ZAB to the UN where he gave a fiery speech and indulged in theatrics that endeared him to the masses back home. The people's anger moved towards Ayub Khan.

ZAB was a clever man, way too clever for FM Ayub Khan. As a foreign minister, he attended the Tashkent Peace talks. When Ayub signed it, he denounced Ayub Khan for having surrendered to the Indians. Later, he criticized his boss saying that if only Ayub had heeded his advice and not surrendered to the US pressure for a ceasefire, the war would have been different !! Haven't we seen this behaviour in Kargil too? That was how ZAB transformed himself and became even more popular than before. [/quote]
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

^^^^^^^

Well, he successfully popularized his well fed neck right into the hangman's noose. In the end, the bugger was just an unsuccessful used car salesman peddling snake oil
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Pakistan’s new Eurobond earns lukewarm response
The government paid 6.12% over and above the US treasury rate for ten-year bond
612 Basis Points over and above US treasury rate for ten-year bond is a really high interest rate to pay. Indian corporate entities without sovereign guarantees have been raising 10 year US Dollar denominated bonds at a third of the mark-up over the 10 year US treasury rate that the Islamic Republic is paying.

Reliance Industries Ltd. for example raised 10 year bonds amounting to USD 1000 Million at 240 basis points over benchmark 10-year US treasury bonds in January of this year:

Reliance Industries raises $1 billion from bond sale : Funds were raised at a cost of 240 bps over benchmark 10-year US treasury bonds, which works out to a coupon rate of 4.125%

Bharti Airtel Ltd. for example raised 10 year bonds amounting to USD 500 Million at 210 basis points over benchmark 10-year US treasury bonds in June of this year:

Airtel raises $1 billion in 10-year bond sale : The company’s first such foreign bond sale this year was priced at 210 basis points above the 10-year US treasury
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

arun wrote: Pakistan’s new Eurobond earns lukewarm response
The government paid 6.12% over and above the US treasury rate for ten-year bond
612 Basis Points over and above US treasury rate for ten-year bond is a really high interest rate to pay. Indian corporate entities without sovereign guarantees have been raising 10 year US Dollar denominated bonds at a third of the mark-up over the 10 year US treasury rate that the Islamic Republic is paying.
arun Ji :

From above Article :
The country, however, appears to be in a debt trap; it is borrowing to retire borrowing. The government paid 6.12% over and above the US treasury rate for ten-year bond – a cost that highlights investors’ sentiments about the health of the country’s economy.
Cheers Image
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.islamicfinance.com/2015/09/ ... bed-sukuk/
In contrast to the current challenges of the conventional debt market, Pakistan was able to achieve a better reception for its Sukuk issued in November 2014. The 5 years issuance for $1bn was upped from an initial target of $500 million. The sukuk was five times oversubscribed with offers of 2.3 billion and achieved a significantly lower profit (coupon) rate of 6.75%.

The move by Pakistan may be a signal of weak sukuk market conditions with limited investor liquidity from traditional Gulf investors (who purchased 35% of Pakistan’s previous sukuk issuance) due to the drop in oil prices, or may represent a desire to diversify funding sources and tap conventional debt markets.

Alternatively a recent diplomatic spat between Pakistan and its traditional Gulf allies over Pakistan’s lack of participation in the conflict in Yemen against Houthis forces may have forced Pakistan’s hand to look at funding sources from conventional sources.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Jhujar wrote:
Anujan wrote:"coverage"). Nobody dares criticize the Zchief.
Long Live Bad Sharif (EBUH*)!!

*Extensions Be Upon Him!!
It will Self Induced Extezion!!
Pakistani Chiefs 'extend' according to their ability. Some like Mirza Beg try manfully to inflate but collapse at the first sign of resistance.

Others like Kayani manage to extend to twice their natural length before subsiding.

There are stalwarts like General Musharraf who manage artificial extensions after politicians chop them down.

And then, manfully erect at the top of the heap of squirming, oily bodies is General Zia himself, who extended for so long that he ...exploded in the end.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

This post from Amber G ji got me thinking.
[Meanwhile.. Paki supreme court is listening to Modi, and to do a = = passed a law that directs Prime Minister and the President to deliver speeches in Urdu language whether inside or outside the country.
This I believe is a new change that Pukes and their benefactors are feeling the heat about. If an Indian leader is getting all the global limelight and is speaking in a language that aam puki abdul understands *and mostly agree with*, does it not create a perception that 'all things they say about Modi may be wrong...and person looks so down-to-earth..why don't we have a leader like Modi??/......the normal narrative is now threatened.

This needs shiv ji level pisko analysis and exposition IMHO.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

PoakSyapa: Mush Got Kushed

Nawaz Vs Modi
Everyone loves a good old showdown between politicians- but in the case of PM Nawaz versus the Indian PM Modi, we have our backs to the wall. While Modi is received like a star is attending events and parties, PM Sharif only has the UN platform to make an impact. The odds are tacked against Pakistan.Both Nawaz and Modi are in New York for the Sustainable Development Summit hosted by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, where the new and ambitious post-2015 development agenda will be adopted. However, both parties have made it clear that there will be no bilateral meeting between them .Modi and Sharif, who are staying in the same hotel in the city - the iconic Waldorf Astoria, when asked if there will be a “deliberate attempt” to ensure that paths of the two leaders do not cross, the reply was all in negative.Modi will not only speak to Silicon Valley’s biggest executives during his two-day visit to the US tech hub, but will also take questions from some of Facebook Inc’s 1.5 billion users at a Town Hall. He is the first Indian leader to visit the US West Coast in more than 30 years-expecting to receive a rock-star welcome through most of his visit. He also attended a dinner with 350 business leaders where Indian-born CEOs of Microsoft Corp, Google Inc and Adobe Systems Inc moderated a panel. He has also sought to encourage some Indians who have thrived around Silicon Valley to bring their knowledge back home. Modi boasts an 87 percent approval rating in India, quite a feat for a politician who for nearly a decade was prohibited from setting foot on US soil. That 2005 decision was based on Modi’s failure to stop the anti-Muslim Gujarat riots.
What is Nawaz Sharif doing? Modi has been focused on connecting with the Indian diaspora in the US, while Nawaz Sharif was considering speaking to the US President in Urdu :rotfl: , to give our national ego a boost. It almost sounds like a joke. Increasingly, Pakistan has nothing to offer to the west, including personality and charisma.Pakistan must watch Modi’s gait and gestures. Modi is an astute politician, who has the ability to outsmart rivals with an amazing sense of timing. We on the other hand, are stuck with archaic, redundant policies of following the same deadbeat formula of ‘successes’. There has to be a drastic improvement of the Pakistani image in the west. The US is helping India get armed to the hilt and soon we will lose our only advantage- our military strength. And that is Modi’s aim - the political and military dominance of India. He has a plan? Do we?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Nawaj vs Modi -- ok Some = =
Sharif RAISING CASHMERE issue with Ban-Ki-Moon:

NaMo Just goofing up and ignoring Cashmere..

Image (See the picture is much smaller and no one is serious)

Now also:

Sitting far away and mostly ignored by minor players like Satya Nadella of Microsoft, Sundar Pichai of Google, John Chambers of CISCO, Shantanu Narayen of Adobe and Paul Jacobs of Qualcomm, in San Jose while a chaiwala is trying to hustle..

Here Satya Nadela's "Baap" (as PR office of PM said) actually "PRAISING" Sharif for having only 32 cases of polio! (Bharat as everyone knows gotten no praise -- it does not even have a single case of polio)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Meanwhile per Paki Media:
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif raised the Kashmir plebiscite issue with Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday and wanted the United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) strengthened

While here at the UN headquarters per Mr. Ban Ki-moon’s spokesman's statement
.. that during their meeting “the Secretary-General stressed the necessity for Pakistan and India to continue their peaceful dialogue”.
and also discussed “the fight against terrorism and violent extremism” and that Mr. Ban Ki-moon also asked Pakistan “to continue engaging Afghanistan in order to help stabilise the country”.
:rotfl:

Sharif's speech at UN Summit on sustainable development goals did not mention cashemer.. though.. but R. Sharif says that N. Sharif "will have another opportunity next week during the annual general debate of the General Assembly to raise the Kashmir issue. He is listed as a speaker during the debate, you know, and traditionally we always raise the Cashmere issue"..

:rotfl:
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Amber G. wrote:^^^ Nawaj vs Modi -- ok Some = =

Here Satya Nadela's "Baap" (as PR office of PM said) actually "PRAISING" Sharif for having only 32 cases of polio! (Bharat as everyone knows gotten no praise -- it does not even have a single case of polio)
Why is Nawaz Tied to wall by Chain/ leash on right side.