Social Problems in Punjab and their Strategic Impact

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Social Problems in Punjab and their Strategic Impact

Post by ramana »

I urge members to read
Panjab: Journeys Through Fault Lines
by Amandeep Sandhu
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

ramana wrote:I urge members to read
Panjab: Journeys Through Fault Lines
by Amandeep Sandhu
Just ordered it.
Thank You
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

sanjaykumar wrote:So? It’s their religion, their langar.

The only contempt I have is for those Hindus who wear the kara.

What is it about that? Stockholm syndrome?

Sir, with respect. The wearing of the Kada (iron bangle) on wrist/ hand is mentioned in the Rig Ved. 5.58.2 ( Mandal 5 Rishi= Shyavashav Aatrey; Sukt 58 Ric 2) by the Maruts. The Ric has stuti of Maruts for readiness for battle and abilty to wage righteous war
Last edited by wig on 23 May 2022 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Thanks. That is a pertinent fact and lends perspective.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

sanjaykumar wrote:How not to say it.
No that is exactly how to say it.

I say this as a Punjabi
We are an arrogant lot. We need to face facts and cut out the bullshit. I have started reading the book Panjab: Journeys Through Fault Lines and it is pretty disturbing

Page 49 has some facts about soil pollution caused by over farming.

All of my Punjabi friends/relations just repeat what they hear in gurudwara, basically ignorant gossip.
When asked the common sense questions "why do so many people leave or want to leave" or why are there so many adverts for immigration to Canada, Australia, NZ, USA/Europe?
Why so much cancer?

The normal response is:
It's all propaganda
These things happen in every state

Are these things discussed on Radio shows in Punjab?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Ah yes. These things happen in every state. Panjab is rich so they can afford hard drugs not just beedis. I’m not making this up.

You can’t reason with this worldview.

This is why educated Hindus will migrate to Hyderabad but refuse to stay in this state. Only they will not be honest and open the discussion about the sickness in panjab.

Arrogance can be dealt with. The political leaders of panjab were mocking Bihari labour for their desperation. Perhaps as someone suggested earlier other states need to stop internal migration, jobs and educational positions for “farmers”. I am in principle against this. But the starch in the panjabi spine can be washed out tout de suite.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Haresh, Can you lead the discussion using that book?
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

ramana wrote:Haresh, Can you lead the discussion using that book?
I will try, however please bare in mind I actually live in London.

With regards to soil pollution:

https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/poisoning-punjab

https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articl ... pes-punjab

https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/agr ... pose-59842

Lots more, just google "examples of soil pollution in punjab india"
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Interesting thread on fall of Punjab in per capita income due to not industrializing.

https://twitter.com/Waraich_PS/status/1 ... Hm8TQ&s=19
vmalik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vmalik »

All the khalistanis footsoldiers state the cause and effect in reverse...that the economy is in tatters because the best talent migrated to the west. lol As if all the pendus sitting in Kaneda are working on solutions to Millenium prize problems... Their delusions have no parallel in human history.
I think there has to be something in the waters of Punjab rivers that we have two of the most Absurd political/religious groups in the world on either side of the IB.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

If all the talent is in kaneda, Punjab is in deep holy cow droppings.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

That’s not totally fair. I have almost never had any problems with them. Actually that definitely is not accurate.

It may be that I approach them as equals, neither contempt nor fawning.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Twitter abuzz with unconfirmed reports that controversial singer , pop artist, part time farmer, full time Khalistani sympathizer and INC member Sidhu Moosewala was shot dead by unknown assailants in Punjab .

EDIT: news channels have now confirmed the demise of Singer and congress leader Sidhu Moosewala .
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

sanjaykumar wrote:That’s not totally fair. I have almost never had any problems with them. Actually that definitely is not accurate.

It may be that I approach them as equals, neither contempt nor fawning.
Malsis also have same argument - it is only the 1%, and in fact SHQ also says Khanate establishment is doing all the bad deeds it is not the people so why should they suffer. If you reap the benefits of a good king (or now government) so shall you suffer the consequences of putting in place the rotten apples. Likewise karma is an unforgiving she dog but exceedingly fair!! Nothing is undeserved but only appears so within the very short prism we view events with.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Ambar wrote:Twitter abuzz with unconfirmed reports that controversial singer , pop artist, part time farmer, full time Khalistani sympathizer and INC member Sidhu Moosewala was shot dead by unknown assailants in Punjab .

EDIT: news channels have now confirmed the demise of Singer and congress leader Sidhu Moosewala .

his security was recently removed by the aap govt, about a day or two ago
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

While it is hard to muster any sympathy for a gangster culture glorifying, terrorist-hero worshiping personality like Sidhu Moosewala, i wonder if after AAP's victory an even more radical faction of khalistanis are now calling the shots. Remember how Rakesh Dakait and his brother were unceremoniously dumped by BKU, AAP pulling the security cover of over 400 people many of them Congress members and now Sidhu Moosewala's assassination, someone is in a hurry.
sumsumne
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sumsumne »

This could be the first of a gangster cleansing process initiated by Mann under the command of Muflerwal. These gangster rappers have built a huge following among the youth and enamoured them with their careless dare devilry.
vmalik
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vmalik »

Time to reinstitute blanket bans on Sikhs in uk/canada/us/aus. Let the saner elements in Sikh diaspora get a handle on these vermin before GOI extends a hand.

Too many criminals have been freely allowed to enter india in recent years...
Jaspreet
BRFite

Post by Jaspreet »

> Time to reinstitute blanket bans on Sikhs in uk/canada/us/aus.

"Re" ?

Was there a blanket ban once?
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Last night an ASI of Punjab Police was shot dead in Mohali. Not even 2 months since AAP tookover and it looks like Punjab is turning the pages back to 1980s.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Jaspreet wrote:> Time to reinstitute blanket bans on Sikhs in uk/canada/us/aus.

"Re" ?

Was there a blanket ban once?
Not blanket ban but entry was tightly controlled. Khalistani elements were banned. At that time there was this flood of Sikhs who were applying for asylum in Europe and Canada etc. They used to display ( with proud) their proof of being involved in some killing in Punjab. Your very own was a translator at refugees commission Brusselabad during student days. That was the essayist way to get permanent papers in those days.Those who wanted to go India used to take Nepal route.Then GOI relaxed the rules and one of the first beneficiary was so called President of Khalistan . He came and was completely ignored by Punjabis. The guy calmed down after that.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

sumsumne wrote:This could be the first of a gangster cleansing process initiated by Mann under the command of Muflerwal. These gangster rappers have built a huge following among the youth and enamoured them with their careless dare devilry.
Sounds like that. Unchecked display of machoism ,weapon brandishing, insulting Gandhi and non Punjabis are common for modern singers and rappers. Haryana is also catching the sneeze. Haryana police is different? they catches such jokers and parade them in streets while giving a gentle touch of danda on the way.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

chetak wrote:
Ambar wrote:Twitter abuzz with unconfirmed reports that controversial singer , pop artist, part time farmer, full time Khalistani sympathizer and INC member Sidhu Moosewala was shot dead by unknown assailants in Punjab .

his security was recently removed by the aap govt, about a day or two ago
Think gangs were playing daring daring game. They guy left his two security guards and bullet proof car at home.
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

Bhangra music was grouped together with hip-hop in the early days in the West, UK etc. (put all exotics in one genre, that is classic West!). But unfortunately the music evolved less and looks like it took all the unnecessary criminality from the hiphop side, all these guns and dudes philosophy comes from there.
It is just a matter of time it graduates from pistols to AKs (Pashto style) , because this is a deracinated movement that does not think there is anything worthwhile in their land and just want the free glamour of Kaneda Shaneda, ideally with a gori in the side.
DW Hindi on YT had a documentary that showed Punjabis illegally in Portugal of all places, picking fruits, getting EU residency with a view to migrate to US. Well it is DW so the subject had to take the customary dump on Delhi by saying farming is not productive and the govt takes away everything in India...
With that they join Nepalis, Thais and others out there, making one wonder at what level has the confidence of a great proud people fallen - more in themselves and their ability to own and change their destiny than seek approval elsewhere!
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Italy also has significant influx of migrants from Punjab . The irony that many of them sell their ancestral land back home, pay smugglers to get them to Europe and then end up working as laborers picking grapes and tomatoes ! I've heard a lot of them work in Italy and Spain as a plank to eventually get to UK, Germany or Sweden - three most preferred destinations in Europe.

In the recent years there have been several reports of "extra-continental" migrants entering the US illegally from the Mexican border. Among these "extra-continentals" are unfortunately illegal migrants from Punjab. Looks like there are networks in US and Canada that helps them settle down once they enter.

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

There is obviously more than has been revealed.

A khalistani apparently. In India. With panjab government security. That gets withdrawn. Man then does of lead poisoning.

And I thought Hollywood was too fantastic to be worth the time.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Ambar wrote:Italy also has significant influx of migrants from Punjab . The irony that many of them sell their ancestral land back home, pay smugglers to get them to Europe and then end up working as laborers picking grapes and tomatoes ! I've heard a lot of them work in Italy and Spain as a plank to eventually get to UK, Germany or Sweden - three most preferred destinations in Europe.
I know people who have done this. I have relations working in Italy as Agri labourers. they are settled legally though
When the Farm laws protests were going on I remember there was objections to working on what was called "Commercial agriculture".
What the hell do these idiots go to the west for and end up working in "Commercial agriculture".

I was looking at my cousins education certificates from high school. Quite frankly it is a nonsense education, it does not equip them for a changed world and work.

To sell everything and take loans to travel to thousands of miles to improve yourself & your family shows desperation.
That money could be used to aquire some sort of skill training or start a small business.
But the education & training standards to not cater to that.
It is pretty dire.

Apparantly in the villages, the high castes would say quite openly to the low castes "if we educate you, who will work on our fields!!!
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

So Punjab seems to be stuck as an Agri economy (linear wealth creation) that refuses to evolve and develop some level of mfg and service economy for non linear wealth creation ? For a while they had good textile mfg in places like Ludhiana and successful agro processing industries - which did well iirc even at the height of separatism in the 80s. What happened then ?!
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Haresh wrote

Apparantly in the villages, the high castes would say quite openly to the low castes "if we educate you, who will work on our fields!!![/b
]
Do not think so. Apart from few land owner like Badals, there is not huge gap between farm sizes. Only landless people are SC etc. They have long adopted to the condition. They have taken construction ,retails and services. Farm work is done by Biharis and UP bahaias. So much so that Biharis are entering politics and they are buying empty villas constructed by Canadians and Americans.anyway most of the empty properties have Bihari caretakers.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Looks like AAP is starting a gangster war to clean up gangsters that can oppose it, and promote its own set backed by Khalistanis. The guys security was withdrawn. The reports that he left the car and guards back at home are unconfirmed and frankly doesn’t make sense.

AAP will soon have its own set of thugs in the state.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Jeez man, BJP is indeed a Gau Mata by comparison to every other party in power out there!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75yxktq48Ms

Moosewala Murder International Link Found. Is ISI Funding Punjab Bloodshed?

VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

To be honest, it appears to be a straightforward case of extortion and murder. Lots of gangs are engaged in money extortion from successful businesses ( I know of businessmen from Amritsar and Jalandhar area), singers, actors and NRI families. You pay protection money or end up in mortuary. Not saying that Musewala was saint (far from it), but gang culture is even worse than terrorists, preying on fear with deep tentacles into local police, judiciary and politics.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

CalvinH wrote:Looks like AAP is starting a gangster war to clean up gangsters that can oppose it, and promote its own set backed by Khalistanis. The guys security was withdrawn. The reports that he left the car and guards back at home are unconfirmed and frankly doesn’t make sense.

And it is a signal to the elites (business, media), fall in line or we will leave you unprotected.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

The Moosewala incident seems pretty complicated. For beginner, as per media reports, the rifle used to murder him was AN 94. For those unaware, it is a special rifle from Kalashnikov with hyperburst mode. It is an incredibly rare rifle, even in Russian forces, and definitely would not be cheap in black market. It can't be made in darra, so would have been smuggled in for sure.

Second, why is mafia in Delhi vowing revenge for his murder?
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Polite question, how can you identify a rifle from spent casings? CCTV I can understand but casings?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The reports of AN94 could be an attempt at sensationalise the weapons used.

The 5.45 is quite a rare bullet out side of Russian and former eastern block military. The AN94 is rarer still.

Perhaps Delhi mafia wants to expand into Punjab under AAP protection in order to take over the cross border drugs trade.

PS: perhaps by the impression of the firing pin on the spent casing you can recognise the specific type of firearm used.
Last edited by Pratyush on 01 Jun 2022 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lisa wrote:Polite question, how can you identify a rifle from spent casings? CCTV I can understand but casings?
when the shells are loaded into the chamber, minute imperfections in the chamber, firing pin, bolt etc leave unique fingerprint like identifying (scratch) marks on the casings, (as well as the bullet when fired). Firing pin, bolt etc all make unique, repeatable and consistent markings that are compared side by side under a comparison microscope to identify the rifle/pistol etc

One round from the suspect rile/pistol is always fired by the investigators under controlled conditions, usually the fired bullet is backstopped, by firing the weapon into a water filled container to ensure that the "control" bullet specimen is recovered undamaged. This is the one used in the side by side study under a comparison microscope and compared with the actual bullet fired by the bad guys

Lisa ji,

If interested, go here for a ppt presentation

https://slideplayer.com/slide/8430311/
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Manish_P wrote:
CalvinH wrote:Looks like AAP is starting a gangster war to clean up gangsters that can oppose it, and promote its own set backed by Khalistanis. The guys security was withdrawn. The reports that he left the car and guards back at home are unconfirmed and frankly doesn’t make sense.

And it is a signal to the elites (business, media), fall in line or we will leave you unprotected.

Manish ji,

very very true.

It's just a well tried and tested, perfected in countless bombay encounters, SOP protection racket being run. It brings in the moolah and also ensures obedience.

Nice side business for some spending money

there is only one beneficiary to this enterprise