Afghanistan News & Discussion - April 2016

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Re: Afghanistan News & Discussion - April 2016

Post by nachiket »

Roop wrote: Really glad to hear all this 8) , but (pardon my ignorance) what are CIT-J and CIT-X :?:

TIA.
Counterintelligence Team X and J. Covert groups which were supposedly created by RAW in the 80's to counter the ISI's support for the Khalistan insurgency. Paki sources allege these groups were involved in carrying out bombings inside Pakistan. B Raman does mention some of this covert capability and its effectiveness but I do not remember if he mentions these names. I don't give credence to what paki sources say obviously.

But anyway IK Gujral disbanded them. So I don't know how they can be supposedly deployed to Tajikistan now.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

nachiket wrote:Counterintelligence Team X and J. Covert groups which were supposedly created by RAW ...
Thanks.
But anyway IK Gujral disbanded them. So I don't know how they can be supposedly deployed to Tajikistan now.
Disbanded them? I thought he just pulled them out of Papistan. Extremely stupid thing to do, of course, but if they were simply pulled out of Pak (but continued in existence) it would explain how they are being deployed now.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Morarji Desai did worse... Successive PMs were also dumb beyond belief... Until ABV & NaMo
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

These units have likely long since disappeared, even the ppl in them would have retired by now. If anything exists there would be new units with new designations.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

While its really warm & fuzzy to feel that we have some intel folks in the area, I am not convinced of their effectiveness so far. The U.S pullout was known for some time now. We should have had the intel to figure out how quickly the Taliban would take over & how to manage the situation. Especially with the U.S/Pakis asking for a ceasefire, we should have made our moves. Nothing of that sort seems to have happened.

So, I'll take this "we have team-X and team-Y there" with a grain of salt.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Prem Kumar wrote:While its really warm & fuzzy to feel that we have some intel folks in the area, I am not convinced of their effectiveness so far. The U.S pullout was known for some time now. We should have had the intel to figure out how quickly the Taliban would take over & how to manage the situation. Especially with the U.S/Pakis asking for a ceasefire, we should have made our moves. Nothing of that sort seems to have happened.

So, I'll take this "we have team-X and team-Y there" with a grain of salt.

This is mostly creative writing. On the other hand it has been 7 yrs of pegion … a lot must have been done
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ShyamD and Rudradev no need for these types of posts. No more.
Thanks, ramana

Admin
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

shyamd wrote:This is known info to the enemy, nothing sensitive.

From A Secret Base in Tajikistan, China's War On Terror Adjusts To A New Reality

Russia - CSTO air exercises taking place from GMA - Gissar Mil Aerodrome - the IAF base.

Russia to use Su-25 jets from Kyrgyz airbase in Moscow-led bloc’s drills in Tajikistan
YEKATERINBURG, October 12. /TASS/. A wing of Su-25 ground attack aircraft from Russia’s Kant integrated airbase in Kyrgyzstan will participate in the joint drills of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) member states in Tajikistan, the press office of Russia’s Central Military District reported on Tuesday.

The crews of the Russian ground support aircraft will practice eliminating a notional enemy targets, the press office specified.

"Four Su-25 attack aircraft flew from their home aerodrome and landed at the Gissar airfield near Dushanbe. During the active phase of the Interaction 2021 joint drills of the CSTO Collective Operational Response Forces, the attack aircraft crews will practice searching for and eliminating a notional enemy’s facilities. They will also provide fire support from the air for motorized infantry and armored units in the course of accomplishing combat training assignments on mountainous and desert terrain," the press office said in a statement.

The CSTO member states will hold joint drills dubbed Interaction, Search and Echelon on the territory of Tajikistan near the border with Afghanistan in October that will involve over 2,700 troops. The exercise Echelon scheduled for October 18-23 will be conducted in Tajikistan for the first time.
--------------
I am told Iran FM to visit New Delhi to discuss afghanistan. TSPA chief was in Tehran so messages will be being exchanged I am sure.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

ramana wrote:ShyamD and Rudradev no need for these types of posts. No more.
Thanks, ramana

Admin
What did I say? :shock:
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Rudradev wrote:
ramana wrote:ShyamD and Rudradev no need for these types of posts. No more.
Thanks, ramana

Admin
What did I say? :shock:
I want to know too. I look forward to shyamd's insider posts and Rudradev's insights.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

My guess is the use of Gissar Military Aerodrome in Tajikistan. Rudradev, the British asked Delhi for permission to use ISR drones at GMA for observation only.

US special forces may be coming to Ladakh for CT into Afghanistan subject to them agreeing to conditions imposed by GOI. ISI want their cash payment…

Now relook at Radio Free Europe post on PLA base on the map.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

https://www.news18.com/news/world/exclu ... 26965.html

Taliban Confirm Chief Hibatullah Akhundzada Died in Suicide Attack by Pak Forces Last Year
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

^^^ that means complete take over of the bunnies by ISI and their stooges Haqqani's
Probably Biradar is dead as well!! his death will be announced in due course.
No wonder a spate of attacks on minorities/Gurudwaras, in Afghan and Haqqani visiting Ghazni tomb!
Things heating-up in Beediland and J&K
I wonder if something starts in Nepal or SriL against the Hindus/Tamils shortly.
??Mumbai style operation, I dread!!
Hope the Govt shows the middle finger to the LOC cease-fire and start trialling ATAGS and Dhanush near LOC!!
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Rsatchi wrote:^
Hope the Govt shows the middle finger to the LOC cease-fire and start trialling ATAGS and Dhanush near LOC!!

This last line made me sad . We have neither the Dhanush nor the Atags. We are like the student who never prepares for the exam thinking it will be postponed. We had 20 yrs to prepare and the last 7 under a so called nationalist/facist gov.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The Escape Artist
In 2008, an Afghan interpreter saved Matt Zeller’s life. Now he wants to return the favor.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-repor ... e-in-china
Violence Undermines China’s Plans in Afghanistan, Risks Luring it Into Quagmire
A recent attack in Afghanistan carried out by a Uighur Muslim has shaken China’s top national security decisionmakers, who now question the value of promises from the Taliban.
Paul D. Shinkman, Oct. 14, 2021

China's top national security decisionmakers are stunned by a devastating suicide bombing attack in Afghanistan last week reportedly carried out by a Uighur Muslim, sources say, provoking Beijing to either disrupt its march toward greater investments in the Taliban government or to commit further to the quagmire that has stymied other superpowers for decades. The Islamic State group's affiliate in Afghanistan, known as ISIS-K, quickly claimed responsibility for the deadly attack at a Shiite Muslim mosque in Kunduz on Friday. But in an even more brazen and rare move, it also provided a crucial detail about the attacker, specifying that the bomber was of the ethnicity that largely originates from China's restive Xinjiang Province. Beijing's attempts to stamp out violent extremists among its Uighur population has emerged as perhaps its most sensitive problem at home and nearby, as shown through the lengths it's willing to go to quash the threat it perceives.
The highly symbolic nature of the latest attack has raised new concerns in China that its partners on the ground in Kabul are not following through on promises they made, including to prevent organizations fighting for Uighur causes from finding safe haven in Afghanistan. And it has prompted worries in Beijing that elements of the new ruling government in fact may be trying to exploit its interests there to draw greater investment and involvement. "They seem to be in a real state of panic in terms of how to deal with Afghanistan," says a source briefed on the concerns by Chinese military officials and on their plans for the future, who like others spoke to U.S. News on the condition of anonymity.
Principal concern lies in the growing – though debatable – suspicion in Beijing that the de facto leaders of Afghanistan's government are actually coordinating with elements of ISIS-K, also known as the Islamic State-Khorasan Province. Some world powers, including the U.S., dispute that claim and conclude publicly that the two groups are rivals. ISIS-K claimed its bombing in Kunduz served in part as retribution for the Taliban's willingness to cooperate with China. Regardless of the intricacies, those who follow the situation closely say the Chinese have good reason to be spooked.
"This is the first major attack since the Taliban takeover," says Yun Sun, director of the China Program at the Stimson Center. "And it was carried out by a Uighur." The news appears particularly ironic for the Chinese Communist Party following its outspoken campaign to capitalize on America's failed attempts to nation-build in Afghanistan and its embarrassing withdrawal this summer.
The Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C. and its Foreign Ministry did not respond to requests for comment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... one-strike
US offers to pay relatives of 10 civilians killed in Afghan drone strike
Pentagon says it is also working to relocate any of those relatives to the US, almost two months after Kabul strike
Staff and agencies, Fri 15 Oct 2021

The Pentagon has offered unspecified condolence payments to the family of 10 civilians who were killed in a botched US drone attack in Afghanistan in August during the final days before American troops withdrew from the country.
The US defence department said it made a commitment that included offering “ex-gratia condolence payments”, in addition to working with the US state department in support of the family members who were interested in relocation to the United States.
Colin Kahl, the US under secretary of defence for policy, held a virtual meeting on Thursday with Steven Kwon, the founder and president of Nutrition & Education International, the aid organisation that employed Zemari Ahmadi, who was killed in the 29 August drone attack, the Pentagon press secretary, John Kirby, said.
Gautam
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Many nations coming to Delhi with willingness to support National Resistance Forces in Afghanistan. US will hand over spare parts and planes from Kyrgyzstan (looks like around 20 fixed wing and another 20 rotary). Some cash to pay for spare parts (through arrangement with Russia).

As mentioned above US spec forces proposal is to use Ladakh for counter terror purposes subject to GOI conditions.

UK wants to join the logistics pipeline to Afghan NRF plus permissions for drone from Gissar.

In the old days Musharraf offered GOI a road to Afghanistan through PoK.

TSPA and Afghan Taleb are bracing for new wave of attacks by ISIS-K and TTP targeting them. Both parties on alert looking for those cells. Complaints being made to international intel community saying RAW is the one responsible
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

shyamd wrote: As mentioned above US spec forces proposal is to use Ladakh for counter terror purposes subject to GOI conditions.
Have you actually looked at where Ladakh is on a map with respect to Afghanistan?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Going by "the enemy of your enemy is your friend", ISIS and US must be friends now since both are going against Taliban? Wonderful irony !
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

nachiket wrote:
shyamd wrote: As mentioned above US spec forces proposal is to use Ladakh for counter terror purposes subject to GOI conditions.
Have you actually looked at where Ladakh is on a map with respect to Afghanistan?
Yes actually I have... This is where the US Spec Forces would like to be based to do CT in af pak.... If it ever gets accepted maybe it will be released as to why.

Srinagar AFB has some safety issues probably and this was next convenient location - I also think they want to build a new facility away from the crowds in Ladakh.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

shyamd wrote: ... This is where the US Spec Forces would like to be based to do CT in af pak.....
Looking for clarity.

Is that statement speculation or expectation on your part? Or do you have a source?
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

source. In my original post I stated the US have proposed this to Delhi.... Delhi have placed some conditions...
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

shyamd wrote:source. In my original post I stated the US have proposed this to Delhi.... Delhi have placed some conditions...

Kargil to jalalabad is more than 500 km.. how are these sf going to get there ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/1 ... 9372844035 ----->
NEW: The Biden administration is expected to announce soon that Amb. Zalmay Khalilzad is stepping down as Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation. His deputy, Tom West, will take over.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

nachiket wrote:
Maybe I'm a little slow today, but I don't understand where you are going with that question. Obviously the idea is to base their forces in Ladakh (so that they don't require Paki ground bases) and fly through Paki airspace to get to Afgh. Either fly over Pak proper, or fly over Gilgit/Baltistan to enter Afgh at the Wakhan corridor.

Obviously this would require Paki permission, but only to use their airspace -- not dependent on them for ground bases.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

I don't know what to make of these posts by poster shyamd - he claims to get this info
from sources, but clearly they are not publicly available. So, should such information be made public on this board?

Regardless of the veracity, one must wonder why Pakistan would allow overflight rights from Indian bases to attack their proxy in Afghanistan, not to mention the possibility of surveillance of their AD !and information sharing with India. Plus, no rental charges for land bases. From the US pov, a SF insertion, telegraphed to the Pakistanis and therefore to the Taliban...where is the element of surprise?

But if it ever comes to pass, I would like to see the PLA' s faces having a US military presence in Ladakh!
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Is this source Harpal Bector?
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Roop wrote:
nachiket wrote: Have you actually looked at where Ladakh is on a map with respect to Afghanistan?
Maybe I'm a little slow today, but I don't understand where you are going with that question. Obviously the idea is to base their forces in Ladakh (so that they don't require Paki ground bases) and fly through Paki airspace to get to Afgh. Either fly over Pak proper, or fly over Gilgit/Baltistan to enter Afgh at the Wakhan corridor.

Obviously this would require Paki permission, but only to use their airspace -- not dependent on them for ground bases.
I am confused. US did not want to fight in afghanistan. So they withdrew from there leaving a bunch of equipment, bases and some key Afghan people who helped them with local intelligence and now they want to station special forces in Ladakh to get inserted into Afghanistan and help the resistance forces. That is a good 500 km away from a base like Thoise. And why would India accommodate these jokers in a sensitive area where we ourselves are fighting a proxy war?

google photos free image hosting
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Anoop wrote: .........

But if it ever comes to pass, I would like to see the PLA' s faces having a US military presence in Ladakh!
On the contrary China would be thrilled, I would think.

India opposed Chinese presence in PoK. It is only appropriate for China to now counter, thus weakening the Indian argument for CPEC.

I just do not see any value of American SF in India. The reason is very simple: Taliban/Pakistan/China do not fight a politically correct war. While the rest of us do. 2nd, the threat of an Indian attack in PoK/Pakiland will force - at some point in time - the US to inform Pakiland of an imminent US attack into A'sthan, which would immediately blunt the operation. Finally, what mechanism is there to ensure the perception that the US does not attack the PLA?

IMHO no amount of agreements and coordination between the US and India will help the situation. OR, if the US and India come to an understanding, then both need to be fully prepared for the worst case - whatever that is.

Finally, if all the US did was to replace the Taliban with the Taliban, what is the US going to do sitting in ANY part of India?

I see all these gyrations to provide some support to a silly 10 year old thought of Biden to vacate A'sthan. And, may be to appease Congressman Mark Green, an ex-US Army major, whose brilliant idea was to place SF in India.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Meanwhile some madness we just cannot understand, hope this is never implemented.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 121362.cms
With Afghanistan’s food crisis driving millions to the brink
Well, we can 101 Hunger Index rating and export nothing, unless these so called International agencies pay 5x the price upfront to us, supply Iron ore, coal, Scarp metal, Uranium while raining in the NGO and opposition slaves within the Country.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Atmavik wrote:
shyamd wrote:source. In my original post I stated the US have proposed this to Delhi.... Delhi have placed some conditions...

Kargil to jalalabad is more than 500 km.. how are these sf going to get there ?
Combat range of a chinook SF version is 600-700km depending on load - they can be A2A refuelled by C-130J I believe. As I've explained in previous post ISI/TSPA want payment in exchange for use of their airspace.

--------------------------------

ABV accepted US SF troops in NE back when there was a border clash with PRC in 2002 timeframe but the presence was kept secret.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

So we will be held hostage to Pak blackmail later on?

Everytime there is a terror attack and we want to respond, PA will just blackmail US to block access if India attacks. US will promptly send a "special representative" to Delhi to calm things down. :roll:

It is much easier to manage this through Tajikstan, with the same money that will be paid to PA. Or for that matter in Pak. US will donate some chinooks to PA and any US chinooks can fly through Pak in PA markings.
Last edited by nam on 19 Oct 2021 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

The fundamental problem with this scenario (merits aside) is that once you allow US forces to set up shop on your soil it will become next to impossible to get them to leave.
We aren't talking about just mil exercices here.

And all our future policies and actions need to factor in this US presence. We are muddling through as it is...
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

GOI is aware of the risks. Like I say some conditions have been placed and the reason why things haven't progressed that quickly is probably because those conditions probably needed debate inside US establishment.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

The only way to retain control is ALL operations must be India led, US may join in with intelligence, resources, forces but CnC will be with India, and all such authorisations must be mission based.

If this is what GoI has stipulated, no wonder amreekis are taking time !
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Cyranoji,
Remember the Britishers being "Underpaid, undersexed and Under Eisenhower!" during WWII? The entire Western theater was under the command of General Eisenhower. The Khan also contributed the most amongst the allied forces. The forces of the USSR were of course independent, but they fought separately.
I do not see US forces being led by India under any circumstance. US tradition forbids that, and it would be politically impossible to accept. It would be also difficult for India join in such a conflict against Afghanistan. One must remember that India avoided joining the coalition forces in Afghanistan, when the US was spending trillions of moolah there. Why now?
Gautam
Last edited by g.sarkar on 19 Oct 2021 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

g.sarkar wrote:Cyranoji,
Remember the Britishers being "Underpaid, undersexed and Under Eisenhower!" during WWII? The entire Western theater was under the command of General Eisenhower. The Khan also contributed the most amongst the allied forces. The forces of the USSR were of course independent, but they fought separately.
I do not see US forces being led by India under any circumstance.Their tradition forbids that, and it would be politically impossible to accept.
Gautam
while the britshits in ye merry olde england bitterly complained that the amerikis stationed there were: oversexed, overpaid and over here"
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Gautam ji, because thats the nicest way to say No! ;)
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

NRao wrote: On the contrary China would be thrilled, I would think. India opposed Chinese presence in PoK. It is only appropriate for China to now counter, thus weakening the Indian argument for CPEC.
Hi Niranjan, the CPEC will stand or fall depending on its own weight of contradictions and Pakistani incompetence. India has little influence in this regard, despite it being constructed on Indian territory. That train has left the station.
I just do not see any value of American SF in India.
Absolutely. And not just for India. There is no use for the Americans either. This is why I look askance at such insider tid-bits doing the rounds; it defies basic common sense. A surveillance station, perhaps. And that would be the Chinese nightmare.