Afghanistan News & Discussion - April 2016

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Re: Afghanistan News & Discussion - April 2016

Post by Cain Marko »

Roop wrote:
Cain Marko wrote: Why not? Why not push the envelope a bit and see what happens? What did anybody do post balakote? Nothing. They just accepted the situation. Let's push a bit more, esp if the US is working to this end. Getting access to that airspace can lead to control of it in time. They'll get used to it.
Exactly!! Thank you, CM, for saying exactly what I was thinking. Under the scenario/assumptions that I am working on, (i.e. America operates drones from IAF airbases to provide this so-called "over-the-horizon" (OTH) capability against the Taliban in Afgh) who gives a cr@p what Pakis think, what they "will not allow" etc.? We should go ahead with this (agree to the American OTH request) and make the most of it for the future.

It is in India's vital national interests to prevent China, at any cost, from occupying Bagram airbase or colonising Afgh. That is precisely the goal that China/Pak/Talib are currently working towards. India's grand national strategy should be to thwart and smash that goal, particularly if we have the US working on our side. If that means war with Pak/China, so be it -- war will come, but we will keep China out of Afgh. And if Putin objects to our working with Uncle, too f**cking bad for him!
The supposed US proposal is one thing, And useful if it happens no doubt. What I would actually likes to see is IAF conducting overflights into afg. That territory and airspace is legally Indias. Wth are we balking so much for... Get in there. If they shoot anything, with Chinese Sam or not, our response will be to knock out half their AF. It's just the excuse India needs. Make that clear to the TSP. I doubt they have the cajones to shoot even a bullet.
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

using the US "leased" predators to overfly TSP and hit Afg may be a good idea.

they are "jointly owned" by India and US
so Paki cant shoot it because it belongs to US
and if Paki shoots, India can take that as excuse to punish Paki

China cant shoot it without risking revenge from Both US and Ind
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Lot of noise is being made about aid to Afganistan etc. Kabul has better infrastructure then most of our cities . Have you seen any Afganstani who is dying of hunger? Hell even as refugees they behave as if they are coming from a superior civilization but you country is also good.....for time being. World has to forget them for sometime.
Western aid organizations spead stories about impending crisis. But these people are used to live like this. They are far far better then most of African countries.
Maria
BRFite

Post by Maria »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

it was part of the deal that bye-den worked out

Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Cain Marko wrote:What I would actually likes to see is IAF conducting overflights into afg. That territory and airspace is legally Indias.
While I like the boldness of this idea, I can only agree with it under one caveat: the assumption that a China/Pak/Talib combo is actively working to colonize Afgh (seize Bagram air base, start mineral mining etc.). If there is just some random chaos/turmoil in Afgh, with no evidence that China/Pak are actually moving in to occupy, then I don't know if war is justifiable or not. Maybe it is, I can easily be persuaded by a good case being made.

But if my assumption (stated above) comes true, India would be gravely negligent (at minimum) and even reckless to just passively let it happen without a fight. If America is with us, great! If not, we have to go in alone anyway. And frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if Russia stabbed us in the back in that scenario, by refusing to let us use our aircraft based in Tajikstan (Ayni / Farkhor). Maybe we could persuade Iran to let us use its airbases within reasonable distance of western Afgh / Pak.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Deans wrote:Drones based in India wont have the range to get to Afghanistan and loiter there - nor will Pak allow use of their air space.
Re. what Pak will allow, I will simply echo RSingh's comment: if the Americans are determined to use that airspace, they will use it, whether Pak likes it or not.
Its more feasible to have joint intel sharing and for India to piggyback on a base the US or Russia may set up in the Stans.
I see a couple of problems with this option (i.e. using the "-stan" bases):
  1. I don't trust Russia to allow the use of these bases against China. If Russia opposes, Tajikstan (or any other stan) will not defy them. We already know that Khan sahib tried to get bases in the stans and Putin Bahadur said "absolutski nyet".
  2. Even if Russia allows it, it would still be a very precarious position for India. Everything in those bases (personnel, weapons, fuel, ammo, medical supplies) would have to be supplied/resupplied using the long air route over northern Afgh and Iran. India would be absolutely at the mercy of a group of shady thugs (Iran, 3 stans, Taliban's Afgh and Russia). Who could seriously fight a war with such a shaky, unreliable logistics trail?
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Babus have said no to US drones being launched from India. Matter could still be being discussed at political level... My suspicion is GOI will keep it secret if the US are indeed allowed to use their bases for drone flights (as has been done in the past).
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

^^^ this whole operating drones to strike Afghanistan based terror camps or Taliban for that matter is a non starter.

What are the aims that such attacks will be accomplish. Killings individual bad Taliban. In the absence of ground level Intel. How can the Americans verify, if the target is authentic.

The yanks have made a hash of things and nothing they can do to change the situation. For the better for them.

WRT, the need for unity government. The cold hard fact of politics and international relations are that, if, you don't have the ability to accomplish your goals on the battlefield. You can't accomplish your goals through diplomatic means.

What is compelling Taliban to create a national unity government with democratic elections?

This is a question that needs to be answered. Before any over the horizon strike conversation starts to happen.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

We should allow it, even a small number of US forces deployed in fwd bases not far from the LOC will be in effect acting like a shield for us, and is not a bad idea. I'd say its only fair after the utter mess they have created by this mucked up withdrawal from Afghanistan. It should be a very quiet NSA & CDS call than a MoD babus & EAM's call, approved by PMO. But "log kya kahenge" may prevent it.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The issue is not really about basing reaper drones. The issue is what is it the Americans hoping to accomplish from this.

What will it do that 20 years could not do.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

We are assuming the Americans know what they are doing... :)
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Pratyush wrote:The issue is not really about basing reaper drones. The issue is what is it the Americans hoping to accomplish from this.

Simple objective - counter terrorism and preventing another 9/11 from occurring. Countering AQ was largely accomplished. Taleban was a different kettle of fish
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Stopping another 9/11 from happening was successful because of robust internal security by DHS and draconian laws like the Patriot Act, and not because of drone strikes. Waging wars in foreign lands will work only when you are dealing with a conventional enemy who also thinks and acts like you ( WW1/WW2/Korean war etc), but when it comes to radical islamic terrorists , it is simply futile to keep bombing and hoping they'll go away. Even in case of Israel it improved its security situation after building the border wall and not because it routinely blows up Hamas/Fatah terrorists to smithereens.

India will be wise not to let US use our bases for their drone operations. Given the number of domestic jihadi sympathizers we will only be increasing our internal security headaches if we decide otherwise. Also, how will allowing US to operate drones out of India help us ? Its not like those drones will ever target LeT, JeM or HuJI terrorists.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Pratyush wrote:The issue is not really about basing reaper drones. The issue is what is it the Americans hoping to accomplish from this.

The Americans hope to shoot from India's shoulders so that the blowback, both external & internal, falls almost completely on India. When that happens, and we take measures to defend the republic, the Americans will lecture us on human rights and religious freedom.

If after everything we have seen in the neighbourhood for 40 years, we decide to become a condom ourselves, we will have only ourselves to blame.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Agree. Not only that, but the US will pay TSP a huge rent to use their airspace for “over the horizon” capability. Back to square one.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

^^^
US is under special conditions (high pressure , low temperature). US will try to save whatever H&D left there. It is going to be one way talk with Pakistan. Denomination of airspace between Kabul and Karachi does not matter.At MaX , Bakis wiil try something in India. I will be not surprised if some NSA of UK , USA were not behind the uncovering of terrorist network that wanted to attack during anavratres.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Don’t know why talked this much on US drones out India, this based on OTH comment of Biden. All this talk about drone basing in India is BS. To those born after September 11, the Pakis will never allow that because they will instantly agree to basing as usual in their own bases. That is what they did immediately after the WTC went down.

It serves a lot of purposes for pakis to do that: rent money for bases, check Indian influence with US military and have tighter control on whom the drones strike.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/08/19/af ... rand-line/

As memory of the horrors of colonial partition fuel fascist Hindu nationalism in India and the Taliban’s expansion in Afghanistan, it's important to remember the khidmatgars of anti-colonial coexistence, writes Priya Satia.
So according to this hare-brained fool, Afghanistan taliban is == Hindu nationalism, and both are expanding because of colonial partition ! How does one even make a living writing such preposterous drivel ?
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Ambar wrote:https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/08/19/af ... rand-line/

As memory of the horrors of colonial partition fuel fascist Hindu nationalism in India and the Taliban’s expansion in Afghanistan, it's important to remember the khidmatgars of anti-colonial coexistence, writes Priya Satia.
So according to this hare-brained fool, Afghanistan taliban is == Hindu nationalism, and both are expanding because of colonial partition ! How does one even make a living writing such preposterous drivel ?
A very, very significant line has been quietly crossed by the rhetoric in this article.

Until now, you had two distinct types of Western publications spewing two different flavours of bile against Modi/BJP/India.

Thus far, it was only the more unhinged, hyperpartisan, and overtly left-wing category of publications who would openly describe Hindu nationalism as "fascist"... i.e, the types of platforms that only Bernie Sanders disciples, Ilhan Omar fans, Antifa, and BLM Inc activists would take seriously. Such outlets use the word "fascist" very loosely though, enlisting it to describe everything from Trump to the local librarian to the neighbours' dog, so their application of it to India hardly carried much weight.

The more "respectable", mainstream category of Western publications would often cast dark aspersions implying that Modi's BJP was ancestrally related to European fascist movements of the 1930s, citing contemporary RSS leaders who had written admiringly of Mussolini, for example. They would use euphemisms like "muscular Hindu nationalism" or "authoritarianism" and claim that in India "minorities feel threatened".

But... until now... unless I'm very much mistaken, NONE of these mainstream publications (NYT, Washington Post, The Economist, Foreign Policy) has crossed the line to actually describe India's government as "fascist" in so many words. No matter how anti-India/Modi they are in tone & tenor.

There is a reason for this. To openly call a foreign government "fascist" is to speak fighting words. The glory of having fought WWII against fascism is a defining attribute of American self-definition, after all.

If you are an editor charged with maintaining the gravitas of a respectable or mainstream publication, you never use such fighting words against any foreign regime... UNLESS the US Govt has explicitly conveyed to you that it considers that regime hostile as a matter of official state policy, as with Hitler, Saddam, Gaddafi etc.

Mark my words. This new phenomenon of a mainstream US publication (1) drawing equivalences between BJP & Taliban and (2) openly calling the Indian govt "fascist", is an unmistakeable sign that things are about to change in a big way. The "Dismantling Global Hindutva" conference was the merest harbinger of much worse to come.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Rudradev wrote:

A very, very significant line has been quietly crossed by the rhetoric in this article.

Until now, you had two distinct types of Western publications spewing two different flavours of bile against Modi/BJP/India.

Thus far, it was only the more unhinged, hyperpartisan, and overtly left-wing category of publications who would openly describe Hindu nationalism as "fascist"... i.e, the types of platforms that only Bernie Sanders disciples, Ilhan Omar fans, Antifa, and BLM Inc activists would take seriously. Such outlets use the word "fascist" very loosely though, enlisting it to describe everything from Trump to the local librarian to the neighbours' dog, so their application of it to India hardly carried much weight.

The more "respectable", mainstream category of Western publications would often cast dark aspersions implying that Modi's BJP was ancestrally related to European fascist movements of the 1930s, citing contemporary RSS leaders who had written admiringly of Mussolini, for example. They would use euphemisms like "muscular Hindu nationalism" or "authoritarianism" and claim that in India "minorities feel threatened".

But... until now... unless I'm very much mistaken, NONE of these mainstream publications (NYT, Washington Post, The Economist, Foreign Policy) has crossed the line to actually describe India's government as "fascist" in so many words. No matter how anti-India/Modi they are in tone & tenor.

There is a reason for this. To openly call a foreign government "fascist" is to speak fighting words. The glory of having fought WWII against fascism is a defining attribute of American self-definition, after all.

If you are an editor charged with maintaining the gravitas of a respectable or mainstream publication, you never use such fighting words against any foreign regime... UNLESS the US Govt has explicitly conveyed to you that it considers that regime hostile as a matter of official state policy, as with Hitler, Saddam, Gaddafi etc.

Mark my words. This new phenomenon of a mainstream US publication (1) drawing equivalences between BJP & Taliban and (2) openly calling the Indian govt "fascist", is an unmistakeable sign that things are about to change in a big way. The "Dismantling Global Hindutva" conference was the merest harbinger of much worse to come.
Once again, shrewd eye, Rudradev.

The article is paywalled. But here's the author info:
Priya Satia is the Raymond A. Spruance professor of international history at Stanford University and the award-winning author of Spies in Arabia: The Great War and the Cultural Foundations of Britain’s Covert Empire in the Middle East and Empire of Guns: The Violent Making of the Industrial Revolution. Her most recent book is Time’s Monster: How History Makes History.
That is top-level US establishment credentials. She would be on all sorts of high-level committees and advisory panels with that kind of academic pedigree. It's at least a semi-official US policy statement.
bharathp
BRFite

Post by bharathp »

^^ possibly a reflex action for denying OTH bases in India? and hence "since you are not against the Taliban, you are like the Taliban"?
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

The part that concerns me is the call for India to everything possible to prevent Afghanistan from becoming a client state of TSP and/or PRC. IMHO, India should continue maintain presence in Tajikistan and watch how this unfolds.

a) History (however far long back we want to go) dictates that none -- no matter how powerful -- have ever succeeded in making Afghanistan a client state. It is TSP's wet dream; and yet -- it is anxious about not Taliban turning but something far less -- i.e. not even complying with some of the wishes. We can revisit a whole range of contentious issues between Taliban and TSP. There's the Durand line, the support for TTP, harboring Kashmiri terrorists, etc.

b) Taliban is not a homogeneous body. Amongst many factions -- there's plenty of suspicion about TSP, its motives and real contribution; and among others there is outright dislike because of how TSP treated them in the last couple of decades. Now that US has left, it is time to observe and see how these dynamics unfold.

c) Taliban is not Afghanistan and vice-versa. This time, if they plan to govern, they will need the population's cooperation. The swift fall of government forces has also meant that people are not "rejoicing from the fight being over". They are expecting governance (at least as good as the previous) sooner than the Taliban were probably ready to deliver.

Close observation may be the most appropriate action from India. Afghanistan has drained extensive amount of resources from two big powers -- I, for one, do not hold out hope that either TSP or PRC will be able to do better :)
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

For India the best option remains to position a few of the US drones that India is buying in Tajikistan, for reconnaissance as well as targeting. Also keep a squadron of SU-30s there to protect the drones in the event that Pakistan targets them. Russia will be OK with that so long as the objective is to target terrorism/extremism in Afghanistan and the operators are Indian and that it is not directed against China. For India the benefit is also keeping an eye on movements on the Afghan-Pakistan border. And India can share the reconnaissance information with the US.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

KGB and CIA used to proo up revolussisions in Latine Smerica and Africa. After successful change of poer their main contact persons were eliminated..this was done to remove any living proof of involvement of these agencies. It is Standard practice for CIÀ and kGB. it seems ISI did the same with Birather. Let's see who dies next
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

KGB and CIA used to prop up revolussisions in Latine Smerica and Africa. After successful change of power their main contact persons were eliminated..this was done to remove any living proof of involvement of these agencies. It is Standard practice for CIÀ and kGB. it seems ISI did the same with Birather. Let's see who dies next.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Roop wrote:
Cain Marko wrote:What I would actually likes to see is IAF conducting overflights into afg. That territory and airspace is legally Indias.
While I like the boldness of this idea, I can only agree with it under one caveat: the assumption that a China/Pak/Talib combo is actively working to colonize Afgh (seize Bagram air base, start mineral mining etc.). If there is just some random chaos/turmoil in Afgh, with no evidence that China/Pak are actually moving in to occupy, then I don't know if war is justifiable or not. Maybe it is, I can easily be persuaded by a good case being made.
I'm willing to bet there will be no war, aar paar ki ladai ityadi. Just keep hitting them via overflights and occasional balakote on tsp soil. Frankly they have been doing it to India for ages. When did was ever happen?

The idea is to create a new status quo where PoK becomes no man's land, and later comes to it's rightful owner. For all practical purposes, it is theirs right now. And this needs to change.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

This trash author of the article (unfortunately of pre-partition bharatiya ancestry) is rabid hater of bharat/Modi/BJP. This is not the first time the author has expressed her love. And, I'm sure the image in the article below will repeat when modiji visit later this month. sorry for the digression...

Priya Satia | Jan 1, 2016
CAN THE SOUTH ASIAN ACADEMIC SPEAK FROM ABROAD? COLONIALISM AND ANTICOLONIALISM IN MODI’S AMERICA
The problem with Modi’s Western strategy, apart from this odorous corporate sponsorship, is that the West is home not only to fervent Hindu nationalists but to victims of their majoritarian ideology. As long as the Indian government continues to treat its citizens in a manner that forces many of them to seek refuge in places like California, an Indian PM abroad must expect to hear harsh words when he ventures to their adopted homeland. They are the disowned; they do not have the option to go back to India to speak. So they will speak here. The only way to silence their public shaming of today’s India in Western media is for Indians in India to abandon Hindu chauvinism and begin to make restitution for the past. The PM’s trip showed that today, Indians abroad who hold even mildly contrarian views are no longer immigrants, but exiles, castoffs, refugees.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

shyamd wrote:Babus have said no to US drones being launched from India. Matter could still be being discussed at political level... My suspicion is GOI will keep it secret if the US are indeed allowed to use their bases for drone flights (as has been done in the past).
So you think politically Modi govt with allow US drone flights and keep it secret?
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

^^ if they want to make it happen I think they can… to some extent they already have something similar on naval front.

Secrecy bit - it depends which location they use, fleet type etc and commonality with what IA/IAF have bought

depends on what’s agreed with TSPA, overflight routes and numbers.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Foreign Ministers of Russia, China, Iran and Pakistan at a 4 way meeting, to address the Afghanistan issue, on the sidelines of the SCO meetings in Dushanbe, Tajikstan. Video embedded in the twitter post with Lavrov giving opening remarks in English. Pointed comment that countries that are immediate neighbors should be involved in this issue.

https://twitter.com/Rezhasan/status/1438706063868456960
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58560923
Afghanistan: Taliban leaders in bust-up at presidential palace, sources say
Khudai Noor Nasar, BBC Islamabad, 2 days ago

A major row broke out between leaders of the Taliban just days after they set up a new government in Afghanistan, senior Taliban officials told the BBC. Supporters of two rival factions reportedly brawled at the presidential palace in the capital Kabul.
The argument appeared to centre on who did the most to secure victory over the US, and how power was divided up in the new cabinet. The Taliban have officially denied the reports.
The group seized control of Afghanistan last month, and have since declared the country an "Islamic Emirate". Their new interim cabinet is entirely male and made up of senior Taliban figures, some of whom are notorious for attacks on US forces over the past two decades.
The dispute came to light after a Taliban co-founder, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, disappeared from view for several days.
One Taliban source told BBC Pashto that Mr Baradar and Khalil ur-Rahman Haqqani - the minister for refugees and a prominent figure within the militant Haqqani network - had exchanged strong words, as their followers brawled with each other nearby.
A senior Taliban member based in Qatar and a person connected to those involved also confirmed that an argument had taken place late last week.
The sources said the argument had broken out because Mr Baradar, the new deputy prime minister, was unhappy about the structure of their interim government.
The row also reportedly stemmed from divisions over who in the Taliban should take credit for their victory in Afghanistan.
Mr Baradar reportedly believes that the emphasis should be placed on diplomacy carried out by people like him, while members of the Haqqani group - which is run by one of the most senior Taliban figures - and their backers say it was achieved through fighting.
Mr Baradar was the first Taliban leader to communicate directly with a US president, having a telephone conversation with Donald Trump in 2020. Before that, he signed the Doha agreement on the withdrawal of US troops on behalf of the Taliban.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/1 ... aliban-nrf
Afghans who fled Panjshir: ‘Everything can change by the hour’
As resistance forces continue to battle the Taliban on Afghanistan’s last war front, residents who fled the province say there is no clear winner yet.
Ali M Latifi, 17 Sep 2021

Kabul, Afghanistan – Since the Taliban claimed “complete control” over the Panjshir Valley in Afghanistan’s northeast earlier this month, the group has been accused of “widespread atrocities”, forcing many Afghans to flee the province – the last remaining enclave of resistance against the group’s rule.
“We didn’t even know what was happening in the next village,” said a government worker who managed to flee the province six days ago. Like other sources Al Jazeera spoke to, he did not want to reveal his identity for fears of retribution.
For nearly a month now, Panjshir’s towering mountains and sprawling valleys have been a black hole of information in Afghanistan, with the National Resistance Front (NRF) and the Taliban battling for the control of the country’s last holdout resisting the Taliban’s sweeping takeover.
Though hundreds of thousands of Afghans in the country and abroad have placed their hopes in the lush province, the 100,000-plus Panjshir residents themselves have had little chance to tell the story of what transpired in their homes and villages over the last several weeks.
‘Everything can change by the hour’
In late August, as the battles were heating up, the Taliban cut off internet and mobile phone services in the province, effectively cutting off the residents not only from the rest of the country and the world, but also from themselves. After weeks of intense fighting, the Taliban on September 6 claimed its control over Panjshir Valley. But the NRF, led by Ahmad Massoud, son of slain commander Ahmad Shah Massoud, has pledged to keep fighting. Though Panjshir’s residents support the resistance and have a special reverence for the father and the son, the fighting has taken a substantial toll on a province that is heavily reliant on the transit of goods and visitors from Kabul.
Gautam
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

The rhetoric of Priya Satia et al. that India is becoming "fervent Hindu nationalist" will stop when we start wearing unabashedly "fervent Hindu nationalist" as a badge of honour. Their hysteric attacks may actually be helping this to happen !
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Cyrano wrote:The rhetoric of Priya Satia et al. that India is becoming "fervent Hindu nationalist" will stop when we start wearing unabashedly "fervent Hindu nationalist" as a badge of honour. Their hysteric attacks may actually be helping this to happen !
Foreignpolicy.com is not mainstream. They solicit unpaid articles from anyone who can demonstrate a minimum of subject matter knowledge.
Foreignaffairs.com or nationalinterest.org are more mainstream - among those who follow foreign affairs and national security.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

The portrayal as fascist also serves another purpose. Any moves by India on POK can be portrayed as paralleling the Anschluss (annexation of Austria), and the reasoning that it was part of India before, can also be portrayed as being identical to that of the Anschluss. On top of that, India's neighbors can be scared into believing that they will be next, and that it will lead all the way to world war (nuclear armed this time).
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

There are more practical ways for US to have drones based in India and also cooperate on fighting Islamists.

US & India can have a joint training & experience sharing agreement for fighting insurgencies.
It will involve basing of US `buddies' embedded with our units on the LOC or RR units to `observe and learn' how a border is sealed and
an insurgency is handled. Similarly, IA representatives can be embedded with US units in Iraq, or their SF in Syria etc. Since it is targeted at insurgents, it is by definition not aimed at any country - though Pak will get the message loud & clear and I would expect a drop in infiltration attempts.

Set up a drone training facility near LOC/ IB, ostensibly to train us in handling drones. Drones will occasionally overfly Pak - as would US satellites. The info they get can be processed by a joint intel center in India. This can be supplemented by (electronic) listening posts.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Foreignpolicy.com is not mainstream.
Right, but these days lefty media reproduce articles from each other and write further "new" articles quoting the previous ones ! So the narratives get around and reinforced.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

US can base it's stealth drones in Northern region and fly through the GB/Northern areas.

How will Pak know?

I fact we want US fly through GB from our side. Will make a de facto acception of our claim over PoK.

Pak and Chinis are greatly worried about we getting in to US camp. Read on teetar that Chinis have asked US to launch drones strikes in to Afghanistan from Pak and not from India :rotfl:
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

This is just what we posted on this thread a few days ago. The physical fight and shootout between the Baradar group and the Haqqani Network is now openly reported. 4 members of the Haqqani network are in the cabinet. Baradar is sulking in Kandahar. I doubt he feels secure in Kabul. The ISI backed Haqqani network is effectively in control of the Taliban Government

Taliban Shootout in Palace Sidelines Leader Who Dealt With U.S.
The man the U.S. and its allies hoped would be a moderate voice in Afghanistan’s Taliban government has been sidelined after a dramatic shootout in the presidential palace in Kabul, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Baradar had pushed for an “inclusive” cabinet that included non-Taliban leaders and ethnic minorities, which would be more acceptable to the rest of the world, the people said. At one point during the meeting, Khalil ul Rahman Haqqani rose from his chair and began punching the Taliban leader.

Their bodyguards entered the fray and opened fire on each other, killing and wounding a number of them,
the people said. While Baradar was not injured he has since left the capital and headed to Kandahar -- the group’s base -- to speak with Supreme Leader Haibatullah Akhundzada, effectively the Taliban’s spiritual head.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »