European Union: Positive News

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: European Union: Positive News

Post by UlanBatori »

Thousands of pro-independence activists clapped and cheered in the streets of Barcelona as the votes were counted, before breaking into a spontaneous rendition of Catalonia's regional anthem. Many drank from bottles of Cava, a sparkling wine produced in Catalonia, as they waved the region's red-and-yellow flag and hugged each other. But in Madrid, the senate reacted by granting sweeping powers to Mr Rajoy which will allow him to impose direct rule over the rogue region. “I have dissolved the parliament of Catalonia and on December 21 there will be elections in that region,” General Yahya Khan he said. “I have decided to call those free, fair and legal elections :rotfl: to restore democracy. We never wanted to reach this situation.”
"We burned the city 'cause they wouldn't agree... that things go better with democracy!"
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The (dis)United KingQueendom "does not and will not recognise" Catalonia's declaration of independence from Spain, Downing Street says. Theresa May's spokesperson released a statement saying the UK wants to see the unity of Spain preserved.
"The dUQ does not and will not recognise the unilateral declaration of independence made by the Catalan regional parliament," the statement said.
"It is based on a vote that was declared illegal by the Spanish courts. We continue to want to see the rule of law upheld, the EnglishSpanish constitution respected, and Poodlestani Spanish unity preserved."
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

There were words of support from Scotland and Wales, with Scotland's External Affairs Secretary Fiona Hyslop saying "people of Catalonia must have the ability to determine their own future".
She added that the imposition of direct rule "cannot be the solution".
Plaid Cymru ( :?: ) leader Leanne Wood also insisted that Catalonia deserved autonomy, adding the Catalan people should be "commended for continuing to reject violence even though they have faced brutality from the Spanish state". Meanwhile, Germany threw its support behind Spain, saying it did not recognise "such a declaration of independence".
European Council President Donald Tusk said that nothing had changed for the EU, adding that he hopes the Spanish government "favours force of argument, not argument of force".
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

British end stays up as nuclear submarine tries to dive: sailors found flying w/o sails
was cocaine. took part in drug-fueled parties while docked in the United States to pick up nuclear warheads.
The submarine has also recently been embroiled in controversy over allegations of an inappropriate onboard relationship between a male and female.
Rear Admiral of The Vice Admiral of the Fleet expressed shock:
WHAT? And fill the whole submarine with kids?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

North Korea complains to UN about PeeAref Bojitive Neuj. Says viewership of their TV propaganda broadcast is sharply down due to unfair competition from the truth published by said evil forum postors.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Catalonia, what's to say. The law and constitution of Spain are being broken and therefore greater Europe cannot not recognise them.
Kosovo Independence was contrary to Serbian law and constitution. Greater Europe can recognise them.
Confused? Dont be! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Yahya Khan assumes direct control of East Pakistan Bangladesh Catalonia

They're showing Spanish civil war footage. Yahya-Bhutto's problem was that Bengalis/Awami League got the majority of seats in all Pakistan. Nothing like that here: even in Catalonia apparently the pro-independence movement is likely to get only barely below 50% of the vote. They need the Basque/ETF on their side.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Mafia Chicago Tribune:
As the Catalan crisis intensifies, it will prove a bitter and deterring lesson on the dangers of petty nationalism. Viewed in this light, Scottish nationalist support for Catalan independence is brutally ironic. The ghosts of the Spanish civil war, in which Catalonia chose the republican side... Spain’s feared gendarmerie, the Guardia Civil, which could soon be deployed, still uses the fasces as a symbol. With Spain having already replaced Catalan police chiefs, it would not take much for violence to break out, and in the current euphoric state of Catalan nationalism to spread beyond easy control. .. banks and other major corporations moving their legal domiciles out of Catalonia...
The behaviour of the European Union, which should have played the role of an honest mediator in this conflict, has been cynical and short-sighted. As the EU focuses on Catalonia, a hard Brexit becomes ever more likely, and the SNP narrative on Europe loses its remaining credibility.
Huh?? :?:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

3 cheers for "Cata-loonia"!* Long may she last to repay Europe for its looting and scooting and partition of India
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

UlanBatori wrote:Yahya Khan assumes direct control of East Pakistan Bangladesh Catalonia

They're showing Spanish civil war footage. Yahya-Bhutto's problem was that Bengalis/Awami League got the majority of seats in all Pakistan. Nothing like that here: even in Catalonia apparently the pro-independence movement is likely to get only barely below 50% of the vote. They need the Basque/ETF on their side.

I have both Spanish and Catalan friends. Overwhelming population of catalonia backs independence unlike Scots where race is tight. Both camps of my friends agree that Spain is most corrupt western EU nation. Basically ey have remnants and relatives of Franco still in power mostly in its continuity.

Catalonia is fedup with corruption and Spain knowing that they have loosing battle on their way do not want to let cash cow slip away due to its massive debt and unemployment issue in rest of Spain. I think Catalonia so a legitimate case of seeking independence as they want to emulate success of Andorra and Luxembourg. They have long history behind this.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Trouble is that sounds very much like Khalistan call for Poonjab independence from India. Some years ago same sentiment was in the Free California Movement (then ENRON bankrupted CA). I don't know of any great repression or discrimination against Catalonians in the rest of Spain, does it occur? I don't think it is anything like W.Paki's treatment of E.Pakis. Barcelona was always considered a great city and port of Spain. Home of Cristoforo Columbo e- CartoChallenged, hain?
Then again, places like Valencia don't look impoverished, I've never been to Madrid proper.

Is the underlying, unspoken issue related to **lamization of the rest of Spain?

Anyway, a pretty large tribe of ghosts from South America will have reason to goad the Spaniards into another nice "civil" war.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

UlanBatori wrote:Trouble is that sounds very much like Khalistan call for Poonjab independence from India. Some years ago same sentiment was in the Free California Movement (then ENRON bankrupted CA). I don't know of any great repression or discrimination against Catalonians in the rest of Spain, does it occur? I don't think it is anything like W.Paki's treatment of E.Pakis. Barcelona was always considered a great city and port of Spain. Home of Cristoforo Columbo e- CartoChallenged, hain?
Then again, places like Valencia don't look impoverished, I've never been to Madrid proper.

Is the underlying, unspoken issue related to **lamization of the rest of Spain?

Anyway, a pretty large tribe of ghosts from South America will have reason to goad the Spaniards into another nice "civil" war.
There is a point here but Catalonia with 6 percent population contributes 20 percent to its GDP and gripe is that Spain uses this to prop other regions, unemployment benefits and keep gold plated pensions without sharing more wealth to contributing state. Their gripe is also about corruption and nepotism in govt of Spain..they also whine that their culture is different from south and demands own state like other smaller countries like Andorra and Luxembourg did.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

All same as the Khalistan claims before they reduced Punjab down to the level of the rest of India and worse. I don't see how Catalonia minus the rest of Spain can be a viable economy. Probably get taken over by ISIS in a week.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

UlanBatori wrote:All same as the Khalistan claims before they reduced Punjab down to the level of the rest of India and worse. I don't see how Catalonia minus the rest of Spain can be a viable economy. Probably get taken over by ISIS in a week.
Same was being said about Luxembourg and Andorra post world war but both are thriving and successful nations in its own right. Europe is not India so using same logic perhaps will not be apt. Besides Catalonia is more European than Spaniards are!!so we shall wait and see what happens next. I think in next election pro independent party will win landslide and everyone will be back to negotiating table on what additional power they can devolve failing which they will declare separation constitutionally. If they don't win that will be end of Catalan independence for this generation atleast..both small and big nations have its advantages and disadvantages.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Yes, that election should be most interesting. Would depend a lot on what happens with the EU court in Belgium.
(a) If they arrest and extradite him to Spain that will make his supporters angry but tell others that EU will not support independence, so not much hope; let's elect Moderates instead. Then again Spain might cut a deal with his supporters to settle for non-independence, and release him on parole. If Spain beats them up in jail that would be a baaaad mistake in the long run.
(b) If they hem and haw about arresting (as I expect they will, being Belgians) until the elections, that conveys the message that EU is waiting to see which way the wind blows == landslide win.
(c) If they arrest but refuse extradition, I think the message conveyed will still be same as (a) because it would be denying Spanish Sovirginity. But Cat voters may see it as time to compromise, and elect the Moderates.
(d) Regardless, the election may be close - and lead to violence with claims of guvrmand interference.

Spain guvrmand is conveying intention to escalate without limits, all the way to Soviet-style invasion and treason trials. I assume Catalonia does not have a lot of attack helicopters and ATGMs.

I had **NO** idea that Andorra is an independent nation. Amazing. A tourist-and-bull economy, with a medieval form of guvrmand. Suriviving without joining the EU, showing they have good sense. Luxembourg is basically a financial services (and Space Solar Power!!!!) capital. Singapore-in-EU. With Blockchain etc they may get wiped out.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^^ Yak Herder'ji., please check out the spanish civil war in the yak tents. The catalonian yak herders wanted to be secular with wimmen rights and all that and wanted to be free of yak_herding_bin_catholicism and they fought against the nationalists_nee_fascists of franco. The nationalists_nee_fascists were supported by eyetalians and germans and of course the papua_nee_vatican. The nationalists_nee_fascists committed grave crimes on the republicans_bin_secularists.

Here is a fotu of one such grave crime:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_C ... Burgos.jpg

The franciscans_bin_franco ruled with a very heavy hand till 1975., wimmen did not have rights to even run away from abusive marriages., it was illegal. There could be no wimmen judge or professor for example. And Spainiards were giving lecture on wimmen rights to Indira Amma.

The catalonian crises should come to its logical end., where spain+german+eyetalian+vatican is made to pay war reparations and apology to the independent country_de_catalonia.

Here is the bridge where spanish_nationalists_nee_fascists experimented bungee jumping on catalonians without the bungee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_C ... _Spain.jpg
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Dumbass Spainwalas conducted a referendum without fixing the result :rotfl:
"The Catalan Republic has won," he announced in Brussels in the early hours of Friday morning. "The Spanish government was defeated."
Parties will need to form a coalition, with no single party winning an outright majority. The anti-independence Citizens gained the most seats but doesn't have the allies to rule.
Prime Minister Rajoy's People's Party (Partido Popular) lost most of its seats in the Thursday election, dropping from 11 to three. The result was also a clear rejection of Madrid's response to the turbulence. The Spanish government sent in thousands of police to shut down the October 1 referendum, and officers were seen pulling elderly voters by the hair from polling stations and firing rubber bullets at relatively clam protesters.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Freaking unbelieveable!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SllN12H9-w

Check how the Malsi immigrants are behaving in EU after entering as refugees:
-No go areas in Britain for White non Malsi People. They are told to get out. The TV crew is physically attacked, Camera men is run over by a car his equipment damaged.Even women crew is not spared.
-Asylum seeker from Somalia says he came to Germany to live on welfare, not to work and as soon as he gets the citizenship he is going to get 10 of his other family members to move to Germany.
-When Immigrants are asked how do they feel when british poor do not get welfare and they get homes, they openly say they are not concerned with what happens to the British, they only care why they are not being given houses by the government.
-I do not like job, why should i work? Life was tough back in my country and hence i came here.
-A refugee from Sweden who is 18 years old, when asked what he does says he has a job selling - Weeds and Drugs. When asked by a Swede that you are not being a model citizen, getting in the country as a immigrants and now selling Drugs, he said to people who ask me this i say - F U C K
Y O U.

Numerous other cases. Europe will be run over and the civilized way of living will be truly lost once the Malsi populations crosses 20%.

The sense of entitlement that Malsi have is exhibited full throttle and in your face. You can hear the immigrants say: We demand.....

I just hope Canada wisens up and controls its immigration policies or the virus will spread in North America too.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Tom Wright

@thomaswright08
2h2 hours ago
More
Biggest story you're likely missing right now: Merkel in an internal party crisis in Germany (over migration) and could lose a confidence vote this week, leading to her resignation. Situation in Berlin on a knife edge.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

I worder if DT knew about her problems. That pic of the year in Canada makes sense.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Chicken Little .. or Get The Kappalandi Kadala and let's watch?
For sure, what HAS collapsed worldwide is the notion of the Smart and Glamorous Oiropean Diplomat and Phoren Bolicy Expert. The treatment meted out to the poodles at G-6 was quite instructive as is the new designation of EU as Enemy by DupleeCity.
Francis Fukuyama was right: We are at the end of history, when the past doesn’t matter anymore to the present. At best, Europe’s younger generations have passively absorbed the lessons of history while failing to think historically. In the internet age, the state has also lost much of its monopoly on civic education; one of the paradoxes of the revolution in communication technologies is that, while the young generation communicates much more intensively than any previous generation, they talk predominantly to their peers. Constant chatting is of no help when it comes to transferring the experience of previous generations. {doesn't help either that the products of the Elitist Ecoles Superieur and the Hochscules are as dumbasses as those coming out of GeorgeTown or Brookings}

Two other factors undermine the cementing power of the memories of WWII in Europe today. First, the generation of survivors is already gone, and second, for most of the refugees and migrants who come to European societies from outside the continent, World War II is not their war. When referring to “war,” Syrian refugees mean the destruction of Aleppo and not the destruction of Warsaw or Dresden.

Postwar Europe is also failing because the majority of Europeans continue to take peace for granted while the world is turning into a dangerous place and the United States can no longer be assumed to be interested in protecting Europe. Brussels’ insistence that what matters is soft power while military might is obsolete is starting to ring false even to those making the claim. In that way, Europe’s postwar thinking has become its vulnerability, rather than an advantage. Postwar Europe today does no longer mean Europe as a peaceful power, it means a Europe that is unable to defend itself.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Just as I was recovering from watching "Pink Panther" again...

Le Palais d'Eau-de-PP avec l'Air fragrant de Paris 8)

"Uritrottoirs"

They put gutters at the hand-washing stations inside Les Lavabeaux d'Aeropuerto CDG de Paris, and individualized UriTrottoirs in the streets. :rotfl:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Popcorn time. I want to see what China does to Sweden

Footage of the aftermath of the incident appeared to show the tourists sitting or lying on the pavement.
(CNN)A disagreement between a group of Chinese tourists and a hostel in the Swedish capital has escalated into a diplomatic spat, with China accusing Sweden of violating the visitors' human rights.
According to media reports, the family arrived at a hostel in Stockholm at around 2 a.m. on September 2 with a reservation for the next night.
Informed that they could not check in yet, they said they would wait in the lobby, but the police were later summoned, resulting in their removal from the hostel. It is currently unclear why the police were called.

"In the early morning of September 2, three Chinese tourists, including two elderly, were brutally treated by local police on the outskirts of Stockholm," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Monday, adding that China was calling for a "thorough investigation into the incident" but had so far received no information from the Swedish side.
"This is not in line with diplomatic and international common practices," Geng said. "We urge the Swedish side to attach importance to the Chinese side's concern and take concrete measures to guarantee Chinese tourists' safety and legitimate rights."
Footage of the incident appeared to show three distressed people, including one man and one woman, sitting or lying on the pavement with several police officers looking on.
"See, we are here and people are sick," says the man in English, pointing to a person lying on the ground. "Who can help them?"
The appeal from the Chinese Foreign Ministry came two days after the Chinese Embassy in Sweden issued a strongly worded condemnation of the behavior of the Swedish police, arguing that "what the police had done severely endangered the life and violated the basic human rights of the Chinese citizens."
The embassy also called for an urgent response to Chinese requests for "punishment, apology and compensation."

The Swedish Foreign Ministry confirmed to CNN that the Chinese authorities had raised the matter both in Stockholm and with the Swedish Embassy in Beijing.
In a statement, the Swedish Public Prosecution Office said that a decision had been made on September 7 that "no criminal offense has been committed by the police" and therefore no investigation would be opened.
Wonder who these tourists are. Sounds like they are senior diplomats?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Gee! One would think I am the only Pro-Oirope Admirer here.
France arrests man for "cat-calling" against wimmens

Actually the CNN headline is as competent as Competent Noise Nutwerks usually puts out. The Catcalling law article is this one:
Men who catcall, harass or follow women on the street in France could face on-the-spot fines under a new sexual-abuse law planned by the country's minister for gender equality. The legislation aims to crack down on the kind of predatory behavior that Marlene Schiappa says restricts French women's everyday lives, making them afraid to leave their homes. "In France .... every woman has experienced that situation," the minister told CNN. "Going to work, in the subway, on the bus, between in her home and the office, she's been followed by men, she's been asked her number, she's been asked to talk."
"It's about freedom ... Women (end up saying) 'I'm not going (out) anymore, if it's that hard," the author and activist turned politician explained.
"You can't go to work if while you're walking between your house and your office, you are, you are constantly interrupted by men who are asking you for your number ... (or) following you."
Law to shame catcallers
Schiappa said the exact details of the punishments involved had yet to be decided, but that the law would mean police who spot women being targeted would be able to step in.
Women's bodies are being weaponized {Hain? }
And more importantly, she said, it was about getting the message across to men that such behavior is completely unacceptable.
"The idea is, symbolically, to say it's not allowed. Because now in France, in the 21st century, you still have men who are saying 'It's ok, I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm just talking to her' -- talking to her for an hour by following her in 12 streets? No, I don't think so!"
She said she hoped the law would embarrass those who harass women into changing their ways. "Feminists in France have said for a long time that shame has to change," she said. "It's not about the victim feeling ashamed, it's about assaulters, rapists feeling ashamed."
What 10 hours of street harassment in NYC looks like
But she says there has been plenty of opposition to her plans. "We still find men who say ... 'It's French culture, it's love à la française.' They don't want the law to say it's not allowed. There is cultural resistance. "They're afraid we are forbidding them to talk to women. I think it's really important to have that debate, to say 'It's ok to talk but, it's not ok to assault, there is a real difference.'"
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Now here's the real positive neuj about Le Behavioureaex des 'Ommes de Paris:

Watch the video at the link in the previous post.
Woman punched by man she says harassed her 02:16
Paris (CNN)The first man to be prosecuted under France's new catcalling law has been given a €300 fine for sexually assaulting a woman on a bus near Paris. The man, who was not identified, slapped the woman's bottom and made lewd remarks about her during rush hour on the bus in the suburb of Evry last Friday. He also received a nine-month jail sentence, including a six-month suspended sentence after a separate attack on the bus driver, Evry vice-prosecutor Marie-Celine Lawrysz told CNN.

Police were called after the driver jammed the bus doors closed to prevent the assailant from escaping. "The man was in his 30s and inebriated," Lawrysz explained. "He smacked the bottom of a 21-year-old woman during rush hour on the bus in Evry. The man then insulted the young woman, he called her a "whore" and said she had "big boobs." "The driver wanted to help the young woman and he was attacked."
Marlene Schiappa, France's gender equality minister who championed the new law, paid tribute to the bus driver.

"Bravo for the bus driver's quick-wittedness and the penalty imposed. Together we will put an end to sexist and sexual violence."
The fine marks the first time the new law, which applies to wolf whistles and similar harassment, has been used to prosecute someone since it was approved in July. France's National Assembly passed the new law banning sexual or sexist comments that are "degrading, humiliating, intimidating, hostile or offensive."

Harassment in public could warrant hefty, on-the-spot fines from 90 to 750 euros ($104 to $876).
A 2015 survey for the French Institute for Demographic Studies found that 20% of the female respondents reported receiving wolf whistles, 8% reported being insulted and 3% reported being followed in public spaces over a span of a year. Physical violence was reported by 1.3% of women, according to the survey, which had 27,000 respondents.
CNN's Saskya Vandoorne reported from Paris. James Masters wrote from London.
$300 fine? THAT is les teeth in Le Law? :rotfl: That mofo should have had all his teeth removed on the spot. In Mumbai the bugger (if caught and if the Right Community in the Wrong Place) would have had a whole team of admirers energizing his butt, his face, and everywhere else for a good 15 minutes before police came and took over the festivities, hain? And poor Cosby goes to jain for 10 years and gets all his money grabbed at age 90 for something like this 50 years ago?
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Watched WWI commemoration ceremony in Paris of French TV TF1. At one time they showed Sikh solders sitting next to field kitchen. Commentators mentioned that "fighters from various colonies were pressed for war but they were doing non-combat secondary jobs like manning kitchen or guarding arms depots etc. Ignorant lot French are. Good that PM was not there. Our VP was herded to bus. WTF
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

rsingh wrote:Watched WWI commemoration ceremony in Paris of French TV TF1. At one time they showed Sikh solders sitting next to field kitchen. Commentators mentioned that "fighters from various colonies were pressed for war but they were doing non-combat secondary jobs like manning kitchen or guarding arms depots etc. Ignorant lot French are. Good that PM was not there. Our VP was herded to bus. WTF
There was a commemoration ceremony today in bangalore too.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Macron :(( that France was Criticized On The Day when they were mourning surrender to (let's see, which surrender was it?) Trump's comments are beyond hilarious and precisely targeted.
"Macron wants to build its own army against US, Russia and China. But in WW 1 and 2 it was Germany: How did that work out for France? They were starting to learn German in Paris before the US came along".
"Threatens to levy tariff on (hic!) French booze"
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Brexit deal & Theresa May in turmoil. After Brexit secretary and a key minister resigns.
May is negotiating a half in half out Brexit deal where access to customs union is maintained but in return EU maintains leverage to Northern Ireland
Further there will no hard border between 2 factions of Ireland
Bone of contention is backstop agreement: this means if Brexit is not executed by 2020, UK & EU will continue like good old days :shock:
Over all Brexit seems to have become a jinx.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46208764
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

east europeans are racist, add on top Islamophobia and the recipe is dangerous. Polish, Hungarians have far right govt, and other East Eu countries are following the suit. New addition is Austria> many migrants are being advised to avoid Austria even for thoroughfare.

I
n Eastern Europe, anti-Semitism is prevalent, while in Western Europe people tend to be more hostile to Muslims. The Pew survey found that 29 percent of Poles and Hungarians had an unfavorable view of Jews. Twenty-seven percent of Britons and a full 69 percent of Italians had a negative view of Muslims, while 30 percent of Germans disliked Turks.

Western Europeans, in other words, may appear more tolerant when talking in the abstract, but are as intolerant as Eastern Europeans when it comes to attitudes toward specific groups. The “cultural gap” may just be that Western Europeans are more polished in the language of tolerance, while in reality being equally intolerant
Is Eastern Europe Really More Racist Than the West?
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/opin ... urope.html
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

IndraD wrote:east Europeans are racist, add on top Islamophobia and the recipe is dangerous. Polish, Hungarians have far-right govt, and other East Eu countries are following the suit. A new addition is Austria> many migrants are being advised to avoid Austria even for the thoroughfare.
Germans are among the worst. Doesn't have to be erstwhile East Germany. Lots of well document incidents.

This is a well-written article by an American of Indian descent.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170106/im-an- ... n-23-times

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2016/1 ... ca-germany
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

IndraD wrote:Brexit deal & Theresa May in turmoil. After Brexit secretary and a key minister resigns.
May is negotiating a half in half out Brexit deal where access to customs union is maintained but in return EU maintains leverage to Northern Ireland
Further there will no hard border between 2 factions of Ireland
Bone of contention is backstop agreement: this means if Brexit is not executed by 2020, UK & EU will continue like good old days :shock:
Over all Brexit seems to have become a jinx.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46208764
I am conphyyojed by this Bojitive Neuj.
arrangements for temporary entry for "business purposes"; visa-free travel for short-term visits, and co-operation on tackling illegal immigration.
So, free passage for Pakis. Free passage for trucks carrying pakis' Boom-Bak-Paks. Free flow of workers.
er.. WTH was the point of Brexit then? They have no control over their own borders, jobs or sovirginity. Forget Honor and Dignity.
Also, all they have to delay until 2020 and BREXIT is off?

Seems like the British are doing a phrog imitation and running up the white flag to the Germans? Is this why May's flunky resigned?
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

mappunni wrote:
Germans are among the worst. Doesn't have to be erstwhile East Germany. Lots of well document incidents.

This is a well-written article by an American of Indian descent.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170106/im-an- ... n-23-times

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2016/1 ... ca-germany
based on my experience here, I would like to differ from the bold part of the statement. I have been living here for several years and lived in both eastern and western parts of Germany. I never had any such incidences where I felt I was incorrectly targeted for my skin color.
Both of the articles is the same story.
Berlin has lots of illegal immigrants and it is one of the job of the police to find such people. and she fits the description perfectly having a brown skin.
another thing the article doesn't take into account is the in your face-ness of Germans. They would never ever let something like being nice to people come between them doing their job as opposed to Americans where being politically right is even above safety. It is just how Germans are, and somebody being brought up in English culture would find it rude or even racist.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

souravB wrote: based on my experience here, I would like to differ from the bold part of the statement. I have been living here for several years and lived in both eastern and western parts of Germany. I never had any such incidences where I felt I was incorrectly targeted for my skin color.
Both of the articles is the same story.
Berlin has lots of illegal immigrants and it is one of the job of the police to find such people. and she fits the description perfectly having a brown skin.
another thing the article doesn't take into account is the in your face-ness of Germans. They would never ever let something like being nice to people come between them doing their job as opposed to Americans where being politically right is even above safety. It is just how Germans are, and somebody being brought up in English culture would find it rude or even racist.
I travelled in Southern Europe this summer with my family and did not find anything out of the way or treated out of the way.

I would not agree with you though.

Lots of experiences posted on Quora about the racist experience in Germany

https://www.quora.com/Did-anyone-experi ... in-Germany
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

mappunni wrote: Lots of experiences posted on Quora about the racist experience in Germany

https://www.quora.com/Did-anyone-experi ... in-Germany
Just my personal experience and some of my Indian friends who live here.
It's just that Germany is not a perfect country by a long margin but it is nowhere as racist as KSA or PRC.
My point was it isn't the most racist country by a large margin. Atleast not yet. Otherwise Döner Kebap and currywurst would not have become the most famous snack here replacing Bratwurst and schnitzel.