India-US relations: News and Discussions III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions III

Post by NRao »

US AIR FORCES PARTICIPATE IN AERO INDIA 2017 AIR SHOW
“Displaying our aircraft in the Aero India 2017 air show reaffirms our commitment with the Indian Armed Forces and is a key opportunity to communicate our level of interest in bilateral cooperation” said U.S. Navy Commander Mike Albus, the Executive Officer for Fixed Wing Patrol Squadron 10. “We hope this air show is a steppingstone to further our partnership with India through military-to-military interoperability.”

“Demonstrating the capabilities of the C-130 draws me to participate,” said U.S. Air Force Maj. Mike Collins, a RIANG C-130 pilot. “It was enjoyable flying the airdrop profile and displaying the tactical ability of this aircraft. We performed multiple joint force airdrops including joint jumpmaster briefings and daily detailed mission coordination exercises. Working with 2 Para Indian Special Forces at Aero India was flawless in communication and execution and I hold my Indian military counterparts in high regard.” – US Air Force
The Unites States military participated in this event to foster working defense relationships between India and the US. Speaking the common language of aviation United States military personnel were able to build genuine partnerships with their Indian military counterparts. Members of the US State Department also attended.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Gus wrote:there are about 3 mill indians in US? that looks big, but actually really small compared to total population of India. This segment is over represented in brf though.

About 4M. Only 1 m registered to vote.

All this was discussed long ago.

Over representation on board is because they helped build it.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ramana wrote:Samir Saran, VP of ORF has an article in TOIlet about why Putin is not fit for 21st Century.
Lot of FUD and not worthy of being published.
Please post a link if anyone can. And excerpts.
Gee! And I thought "FUD" was a high compliment! :((
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

TSJones wrote: I can only attribute this to the money.

Greed is an extremely powerful emotion.
No., it is not money. It is opportunities. US, Canada and Australia - are all land of immigrants. Just like your forefathers came to America to avail better opportunities, so are the current set of immigrants into US.

Just to note that Columbus went in search for a trade route to India which Vasco DaGama/Portugal found but would not share it with Spain. So yes India was the land of opportunity and trade then., till it was completely destroyed by islamic mismanagement and british colonial brutality.

Now the only reason immigrants chose to come here compared to other nations for better opportunities is an overall better law enforcement. That is why S. Barbaria, or S. America or various other parts of the world are not availed to inspite of it having better opportunities since there is no overall better law enforcement.

Now here is something you must also avail off., 0.7% of US population is Indian - but they contribute more economically and culturally to their host nation other than any other immigrants. Of course the next set is chinese or koreans or japanese. But as mentioned they are the next set.

Just keep that in perspective.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

slight quibble disha. More like massacre rather than mismanagement.I would like to share a little secret with brf, if a guy like me ever came to power in India We would like to do a little mismanagement of our own to all the peacefuls and superior races. Many Indians become apologetic and rather squimish when somebody confronts them in real life as to why are u here question. Well I have no apology for these characters ,I say I am here because I am better than u in everything I do. I will stay here if it suits me and leave when I want, none of your business. Now what are u going to do about it.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Has anyone weighed the gdp contrib of the bottom 33% goras in amrika?

Likely punching way below their weight in number.

Everyone wants to bolt the door after they get into a free meal
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

snahata wrote:Well I have no apology for these characters ,I say I am here because I am better than u in everything I do. I will stay here if it suits me and leave when I want, none of your business. Now what are u going to do about it.
Best not to say that in Kansas.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

some jerk(s) hate sdre, (t)he(y) popped the sdre.

some jerk(s) hate juice, (t)he(y) go and pull the stones in cemetery.

My prediction - some better protective measure would be offered to protect juice while sdre would be left to their wits.

CT: juice are good at inside jobs to gain sympathy
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Didn't I say I am better than them in everything I do.
bharotshontan
BRFite

Post by bharotshontan »

nachiket wrote:
snahata wrote:Well I have no apology for these characters ,I say I am here because I am better than u in everything I do. I will stay here if it suits me and leave when I want, none of your business. Now what are u going to do about it.
Best not to say that in Kansas.
Get conceal carry licenses, stay strapped up, go shooting once a month for target practice. I wonder what percentage of the 4m is availing the second amendment.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Close to zero.
Bars should provide ballistic jackets as cover charge. .
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ic-imports
"Indian Drugmakers Seek to Sway Trump Over Cheap Generic Imports
Early signs from Trump administration don’t ‘augur well’
Exemption for generic drugs in proposed border tax is one goal"
ndia’s largest pharmaceutical firms are looking to convince U.S. President Donald Trump that his promise to lower drug costs should take priority over his vow to make sure the medicines are made in America.

Savings from cheaper imported drugs will outweigh the jobs created by producing them in the U.S., the Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance, which represents drugmakers including Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd., said in a report obtained by Bloomberg News. One goal could be to win an exemption for generic drugs under any border-tax policy that is enacted in the U.S., it said.

“The early signals from the Trump Administration do not augur well,” the group said in a report sent to a government advisory body on Feb. 28, exhorting Indian authorities to lobby U.S. lawmakers, regulators and media. It recommended that the Indian industry make its case “without ugly confrontation.”
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The Hindu has an opinion piece:
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opi ... 567843.ece
Trump’s no threat to the Indian economy
As long as India will enjoys the comparative cost advantage, no power in the world can block its road to success.
Globalisation cannot be reversed. We all are interdependent, and no country is 100 per cent self-reliant: the sellers are also consumers. India enjoys the population dividend, the quality of education is improving, and the infrastructure is far better than many Afro-Asian countries.

Moreover, the mutual interests of the two nations will never allow President Trump to adopt stringent policies against India.
Of course, Trump may try to stop globalization:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 968410fb3a
Trump suggests ignoring World Trade Organization in major policy shift
The Trump administration on Wednesday announced a sharp break from U.S. trade policy, vowing it may ignore certain rulings by the World Trade Organization if those decisions infringe on U.S. sovereignty.

The new trade approach, which was sent to Congress Wednesday, could affect businesses and consumers worldwide, with the White House suggesting the United States could unilaterally impose tariffs against countries it thinks have unfair trade practices — paving the way for a more adversarial relationship with China and other trading partners — and punish companies that relocate overseas and then attempt to sell products on the U.S. market.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

disha wrote:
TSJones wrote: I can only attribute this to the money.

Greed is an extremely powerful emotion.
No., it is not money. It is opportunities. US, Canada and Australia - are all land of immigrants. Just like your forefathers came to America to avail better opportunities, so are the current set of immigrants into US.
I think you meant colonizers who brutally destroyed the existing races and cultures to forcefully take what they liked.
India is a land of immigrants where every one from Zoroastrians, Yahudis, Mongols, Greeks, Huns came and became part of the melting pot. It is another story that the immigrants always looked down upon the natives and even brutally subjugated the native just like the ooropeans did to the natives in North and South America.
OmkarC
BRFite

Post by OmkarC »

bharotshontan wrote:
nachiket wrote: Best not to say that in Kansas.
Get conceal carry licenses, stay strapped up, go shooting once a month for target practice. I wonder what percentage of the 4m is availing the second amendment.

You are right.. infact, not every Indian needs to conceal carry - even if its just 5-10% of men & women start defending themselves - the message will go out loud & clear to thieves, murderers & racists of all hues - that "brown man is no pushover" which will end up saving the remaining 90-95% of the community from racist abuses & insults.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

OmkarC wrote:
bharotshontan wrote:

You are right.. infact, not every Indian needs to conceal carry - even if its just 5-10% of men & women start defending themselves - the message will go out loud & clear to thieves, murderers & racists of all hues - that "brown man is no pushover" which will end up saving the remaining 90-95% of the community from racist abuses & insults.
2nd Amendment does not apply to people of color. A Hispanic, Indian or African American killing a white will most certainly face a first degree murder charge.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Posts here are getting way too PakDefish, with all due respect.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

What is view on Neo-Cons on Indo-US relations? I am asking this specifically because they simply are not going to go away. They have a specific world view and trying to enforce it on this admin also. I am not sure how it will effect us.
OmkarC
BRFite

Post by OmkarC »

komal wrote:
OmkarC wrote:

2nd Amendment does not apply to people of color. A Hispanic, Indian or African American killing a white will most certainly face a first degree murder charge.
2nd Amendment as part of constitutional rights are only endowed to US citizens, not Green card holders or work visa holders. Therefore a brown US citizen could have a legal right to shoot a white racist if his home is vandalized.

To protect Hindu gun owners from unfairly being targeted for shooting white criminals (agree w/ you that the system won't come down on us if blacks or latinos get shot), having a pro-Hindu legal support framework is essential. Hindu community can pitch in to fund pro-Indian law firms. Better start educating people now about the need to organize and donate 1% of their earnings to causes like this than to blow it for some stupid anti-Hindu Khan flicks.

But agree w/ your legitimate concern that not having a strong legal support framework could end up crucifying you if you shoot a white criminal in this country.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

OmkarC wrote:
komal wrote:
2nd Amendment as part of constitutional rights are only endowed to US citizens, not Green card holders or work visa holders. Therefore a brown US citizen could have a legal right to shoot a white racist if his home is vandalized.

To protect Hindu gun owners from unfairly being targeted for shooting white criminals (agree w/ you that the system won't come down on us if blacks or latinos get shot), having a pro-Hindu legal support framework is essential. Hindu community can pitch in to fund pro-Indian law firms. Better start educating people now about the need to organize and donate 1% of their earnings to causes like this than to blow it for some stupid anti-Hindu Khan flicks.

But agree w/ your legitimate concern that not having a strong legal support framework could end up crucifying you if you shoot a white criminal in this country.
Police routinely kill African Americans carry flashlights,etc. at traffic stops. Claim self defense. Under Obama, the Justice Department would at least look into this. Under Rooskie Sessions, no such investigations will take place. We are back to the 1850s -- only whites have rights.
OmkarC
BRFite

Post by OmkarC »

komal wrote:
OmkarC wrote:

Police routinely kill African Americans carry flashlights,etc. at traffic stops. Claim self defense. Under Obama, the Justice Department would at least look into this. Under Rooskie Sessions, no such investigations will take place. We are back to the 1850s -- only whites have rights.
But then there is the concept of deterrence.

You don't have to shoot a person to deter him from a crime.. Would a criminal take a chance w/ hurting you if you brandish a gun ?

The gun may/may not be loaded, you may/may not have the intent or experience to shoot and you being a brown guy may end up in jail for shooting a white man - but will he take a chance to find out ? He may be shot - either dead or injured seriously. His life will be seriously impacted even if he is alive.

So, if he has even quarter of a brain, he will flee and not show up again.

BTW, 9mm semi-auto glocks are usually easy enough for my 5'2" 110 lb SHQ to fire.

http://grabagun.com/glock-43-black-9mm- ... igodigital
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Once I parked myself in a minivan outside a coffeeshop at 2 am in a very liberal North American city. After the crowds had all dispersed and police was out on the streets in full force, they were rounding up all the black kids who were were seen walking. I counted atleast 8-10 kids walking who were hauled away by the police and they hadn't committed any crime. If this is the case in a melting pot multicultural city, then I can only imagine what it may be in more segregated cities like LA, AL, GA etc. All the cops were whites, except the odd token face.

I think the cops there have one face during daytime and then another face at nightime. At night all of them are kkk.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

This thread needs to cool down a bit. Can this be made a login only visible thread. Right now everyone can see and read it.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

NOT a indo-US topic, but very interesting.

TRUMP, PUTIN, AND THE NEW COLD WAR
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Pio girl abused on ny train by black man

http://www.news18.com/news/world/indian ... 55543.html
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Singha wrote:Pio girl abused on ny train by black man
http://www.news18.com/news/world/indian ... 55543.html
I visited FB page of Ms.Srivastav, where Indians were remarking that we should accept bad behavior in foreign lands or return. It is easy to blame the victim.
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

bharotshontan wrote: Get conceal carry licenses, stay strapped up, go shooting once a month for target practice. I wonder what percentage of the 4m is availing the second amendment.
it is a bad idea to carry firearms, concealed or not, in USA.
It is also illegal to brandish a firearm. Take it out only if you mean to shoot.
Gautam
bharotshontan
BRFite

Post by bharotshontan »

g.sarkar wrote:
bharotshontan wrote: Get conceal carry licenses, stay strapped up, go shooting once a month for target practice. I wonder what percentage of the 4m is availing the second amendment.
it is a bad idea to carry firearms, concealed or not, in USA.
It is also illegal to brandish a firearm. Take it out only if you mean to shoot.
Gautam
I agree regarding shoot to kill only. Brandishing business is only for movies. Hence the need to do regular target practice along with public carrying license. Local NRA chapters have classes sometimes where they simulate intruder break ins, they might offer random shooter on prowl type scenarios as well. Something is better than being a sitting duck.

Anyway, the suggestion goes towards all scenarios not just racially motivated hate criminals. I've become extremely pro conceal carry since the Colorado movie theater shootings and then the Orlando ISIS attack in the gay bar. Hate crime or terrorism or plain burglary are discussed in the aftermath, in the immediate scenario you're dealing with a person trying to kill you, so you need to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in SV indian homes are quite lucrative for breakins due to good appliances, macbooks and gold - all easy to move in market. thieves know indians have a lot of gold jewels. one family had hidden it in a packet inside the atta bin . it was found and taken.

they know there is almost zero chance of a indian being armed, vs non-zero for a gora or hispanic. ofcourse they prefer to steal rather than rob. but thieves can morph into robbers if caught in the act.

a little old lady, someones parent was robbed of her gold chain by a skateboard riding teen right in front of my friends condo. their complex does have security cameras (monitored remotely) but no real gates except the bar that rises and falls for cars.

friend installed the remotely managed alarm on all doors and windows, but wife has become paranoid about any noises in the night.
OmkarC
BRFite

Post by OmkarC »

amitkv wrote:This thread needs to cool down a bit. Can this be made a login only visible thread. Right now everyone can see and read it.
Actually its better not to make it a log-in only, any rumors about Indian-Americans thinking of Arming themselves is a good rumor to circulate, whether people actually end up arming themselves or not.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

bharotshontan wrote: I agree regarding shoot to kill only. Brandishing business is only for movies. Hence the need to do regular target practice along with public carrying license. Local NRA chapters have classes sometimes where they simulate intruder break ins, they might offer random shooter on prowl type scenarios as well. Something is better than being a sitting duck.
Anyway, the suggestion goes towards all scenarios not just racially motivated hate criminals. I've become extremely pro conceal carry since the Colorado movie theater shootings and then the Orlando ISIS attack in the gay bar. Hate crime or terrorism or plain burglary are discussed in the aftermath, in the immediate scenario you're dealing with a person trying to kill you, so you need to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.
Sirji,
You are in a mall, packing. A big bad one approaches you, you show him your hand gun. He is scared, he leaves. In California law, you have brandished a weapon. Now, you must call the Police, wait for their arrival, make your statements, leave when they say you can. Taking out your gun is the last thing you should do. Ergo, I do not carry even though I am allowed to. Better to be a sitting duck than to land in prison. I do not know about you, I know that I will not survive in a prison. Indians have it specially tough in Prison.
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Singha wrote:in SV indian homes are quite lucrative for breakins due to good appliances, macbooks and gold - all easy to move in market. thieves know indians have a lot of gold jewels. one family had hidden it in a packet inside the atta bin . it was found and taken.
they know there is almost zero chance of a indian being armed, vs non-zero for a gora or hispanic. ofcourse they prefer to steal rather than rob. but thieves can morph into robbers if caught in the act.
a little old lady, someones parent was robbed of her gold chain by a skateboard riding teen right in front of my friends condo. their complex does have security cameras (monitored remotely) but no real gates except the bar that rises and falls for cars.
friend installed the remotely managed alarm on all doors and windows, but wife has become paranoid about any noises in the night.
Singhaji,
You are correct. But it is not just Indians but Asians. Chinese, Vietnamese and Koreans all hide what thieves call good gold (not the bad 8 karat), and they do not call the police as they do not trust them. Gold is melted down immediately, jewels are not in demand. A thief once told me never to keep gold in the house, as they target Asian houses looking for gold.
Gautam
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and it helps that melting gold is easy. even local jewelry shops have small electrically powered furnace that can melt any jewels in minutes.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

would just opening the front of coat to show that you are packing heat qualify as brandishing? in wyatt earp/doc holliday style... and not a bourgeois glock or beretta automatic, but a bespoke bone handled long barrel 0.44 caliber Colt with jewel inlays on the stock and trigger mechanism adapted inside for faster "fanning" - ie point gun and use the base of the palm of other hand to fan the hammer for rapid fire salvo.

I was watching a film on him. after the ok coral shootout, his enemies sneakily killed his brothers, he formed a posse to kill a few of them in exchange...so they ride around a bend and there is a troop of enemy, dismounted. his comrades wheel around and ride hard back in reverse direction. he is alone, while dismounting his pistol holster also gets loose....he manages to use his shotgun to kill a couple...dozens of rounds are fired in his direction but none hit him though a lot pass through his loose coat. he rides back to safety.

so it appears the one-shot one-kill type gunfighters were quite rare. most must have use shotguns or rifles and pistol shooters needed a steady nerve in the face of flying lead to maintain aim, keep moving fwd slowly and land a salvo of closely spaced shots on target. wyatt earp seemed to have that steely nerve per the film. this is same technique as taught to standing and shooting semi-auto too I suppose.

ISIS/FSA has the patent on the sideways overhead shooting style
bharotshontan
BRFite

Post by bharotshontan »

g.sarkar wrote:
bharotshontan wrote: I agree regarding shoot to kill only. Brandishing business is only for movies. Hence the need to do regular target practice along with public carrying license. Local NRA chapters have classes sometimes where they simulate intruder break ins, they might offer random shooter on prowl type scenarios as well. Something is better than being a sitting duck.
Sirji,
You are in a mall, packing. A big bad one approaches you, you show him your hand gun. He is scared, he leaves. In California law, you have brandished a weapon. Now, you must call the Police, wait for their arrival, make your statements, leave when they say you can. Taking out your gun is the last thing you should do. Ergo, I do not carry even though I am allowed to. Better to be a sitting duck than to land in prison. I do not know about you, I know that I will not survive in a prison. Indians have it specially tough in Prison.
Gautam
Sarkarbabu the middle America states at least have stand your ground laws. If a big bad approaches, I'm not showing gun to scare him. I don't care if he dies scared or dreaming of 72, he has approached, I feel threatened for my life, only thing I will make sure is that there is no hint that I shot him in the back. It's easier to frame the story when there's only one version to narrate.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

g.sarkar wrote:
Sirji,
Gautam
the law varies state by state.

in Texas if you are in fear of your life or your *property* you can use your gun. there is no penalty for showing your gun under such circumstances.

if you have to shoot, shoot to kill. its his word against yours and the dead don't talk.

it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

the deceased's family will of course try to sue you. but that's life in the US.

buy some legal insurance if you're going to pack heat in Texas.

and by all means get the required permits and follow the law in that regard.

both my sons and myself carry when necessary and have concealed carry permits.

although, I usually don't carry. I'm a lover not a fighter.

and oh btw, it's illegal in Texas to carry a gun in a place where where alcohol is served unless it is in a restaurant.

and your ammo should be +'s with expanding bullets. I've seen too many people shot on you tube video and still resisting. I can only surmize that people are not using the proper ammo. you want 'em to go down and stay down.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the property threat thing rings a bell. a texas PIO family had their son about to go and join the marines. he went out with his girlfriend another PIO..got into a fight with her and dropped her home early...later he went out drinking with buddies and got stoned and mad...came shouting back to the girls house yelling threats....the girls father goes out to investigate the commotion armed with a gun...he sees a threat and fires , killing the lad . he was the only son of the couple. parents were of my state so I got to know through email lists.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 650430.php

Man not guilty in Marine reservist's death
Verdict backs his claim he acted in self-defense when he shot daughter's boyfriend in '05
PEGGY O'HARE, Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle Published 6:30 am, Saturday, February 2, 2008

An engineer who said he was acting in self-defense when he shot and killed a man who was dating his daughter was found not guilty of murder Friday.
The defendant, Hardeep Grewal, 41, closed his eyes and bowed his head after hearing the verdict, then began sobbing and hugging his family members tightly.
Relatives of the slain man, Nitin "Nathan" Sarangapani, 24, remained composed in the courtroom, but were visibly upset as they left, saying nothing could assuage their loss.
Grewal had testified that he was protecting himself when he opened fire in the dark outside his Champions-area home on Sept. 25, 2005, striking Sarangapani once in the chest.

The incident happened just weeks before Sarangapani, a Marine reservist, was due to leave for Iraq.
Grewal apologized for the shooting as he left court Friday, but expressed relief at his acquittal.
"Thank God. That's all I can say," Grewal said, his eyes red from crying. "I'm very sorry it happened."
Sarangapani's family was not there to hear his apology as they had left minutes earlier.

"We've already lost everything we have," said Sarangapani's father, Ram Sarangapani. "We lost our son. What could be worse than that?"
Grewal, he added, "knows what he did."

Defense attorney Nicole DeBorde said the jury evaluated every piece of evidence before reaching its verdict.

"Now that the entire story has come out, they were able to see for themselves that it was, in fact, self-defense," she said.

Grewal testified he had received threatening phone calls at his home in the 5900 block of Coral Ridge on the night of the shooting and later heard someone banging on his front door, yelling. He said he called 911 and went outside on his second-story balcony, then down to the ground to confront the person. The power was out because of Hurricane Rita.

Grewal said he fired three warning shots from his semi-automatic rifle, then fired at a person who appeared to be pointing something at him.

Prosecutor Spence Graham offered a different motive for the shooting, suggesting Grewal did not like Sarangapani calling his daughter late at night or giving her alcohol.

Graham also said the slain young man was unarmed.
"My argument was the defendant didn't have to shoot this young man," Graham said. "Our position is (Grewal) didn't have to leave the house."
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in NH I recall hearing its ok to shoot any wild animal incl deer that comes on your property, but not to tempt them to come in with food bait.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

IMHO the best strategy is to empower orgs like HAF. Have our own people in powerful positions.

Juice do not pack or carry and yet have huge clout. Yes, there may be hate crimes against them symbolically (vandalism of places of eternal rest or worship) but you rarely hear of physical assault where the perpetrators can be identified. This is because of the power they wield in the media, banking, judiciary and politics. Why be a policeman if you can be the Mayor?

I may be wrong, but the average Redneck hates Juice more than brown desis. And yet he is reluctant to hit them.

My partner donates 10% of his earnings to Juice foundations and causes. How much do we do?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

NRao wrote:NOT a indo-US topic, but very interesting.

TRUMP, PUTIN, AND THE NEW COLD WAR
fake news ;-)