India-US relations: News and Discussions III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions III

Post by NRao »

Oh yes, there'll be a nice little war with China in the near future. Wall Street and California dread it, but the US as a whole would welcome a conventional war with clear cut goals and victories. Unless the chini goes terrorist like the muslims after a beating which is doubtful given the chinaman's atheistic and effeminate nature, this'll be a quick cut and dry affair.
There have been an article or two on China and war. With her economy going South, China, the argument goes, will need to start a distraction. War with one her numerous neighbors. Which one, they did not speculate, but, India would be a convenient example only because of a dual front scenario.
India should come out in full support. Whatever India get "sucked" into will be safely distant from the fireworks. The IN is not expected to participate in the SCS. In fact, there'll be so many USAF and USN assets itching to get in on some conventional action that there won't be enough chinese targets for American units never mind those of its allies. And India would come after Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Australia in this pinata beating. Vietnam would probably pick off any stragglers before we can get a blow even if we wanted.
India, for what it is worth, is already participating. With her P-8Is. The collaboration with the "US" is through PACOM and specifically the USN. I think that will be strengthened, but do not see going beyond that, other than cutting the jihadists head - exchange of information and the like.
There is simply no downside in supporting the US in this case.
Well, I would not go that far WRT to China.

China does have some good guys, and I think India (and the US) needs to ensure their political survival. It is the PLA and this Chinese President that needs to be dealt with. At the very least that leadership needs replacement. And perhaps defang in some form.

But I would go further with Pakistan. For sure the Chinese presence in POK has to go, no two ways about that. Never to come back.

And, would like POK back, but too touchy a topic I would think.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kamala Harris to serve on 4 Senate Committees;
1) Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee,
2) Senate Intelligence Committee
3) Environment and Public Works Committee
4) Budget Committee

She did not get Judiciary Committee despite her legal background.

Five Indian American Hindus Democrat Congressmen gathered in this picture:

Will find out their committee assignments in the House and post.

Happy Sankranti/Lohri/Pongal.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

arun wrote:
NRao wrote:
That will remain to be seen if he is going to be the voice of reason from an Indian perspective going by the below article on Gen. James Mattis which suggests that he would more likely appease the Mohammadden Terrorist Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan especially the Uniformed Jihadi’s of the Punjabi dominated Military rather than be tough:

Trump’s New Defence Secretary Was Obama’s Go-To Man to Keep Pakistani Generals Happy : In the aftermath of the Raymond Davis and bin Laden affairs, General James Mattis was key in maintaining ties with top Pakistani military leadership.
Happy days are back again for the Uniformed Jihadi’s of the Punjabi dominated Military of the Terrorist Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

US President Obama’s “Go-To Man to Keep Pakistani Generals Happy” indicates in his confirmation hearing for the position of US Secretary of Defence in the incoming Donald Trump Presidency that the US will continue to “incentivise” the Mohammadden Terrorist Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan with more jizya / jaziya steroids.

India will need to prepare for another round of the Mohammadden Terrorist Fomenting Islamic Republics of Pakistan’s US cash, US weapons and US sundry jizya / jaziya fuelled steroid rage :

US to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation, says Mattis
“If confirmed, I will work with the State Department and the Congress to incentivise Pakistan’s cooperation on issues critical to our national interests and the region’s security, with focus on Pakistan’s need to expel or neutralise externally-focused militant groups that operate within its borders, Mr Mattis told the committee while responding to a question.”
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Good that Mattis would be reporting to a hard nosed businessman who would want tangible return on investment. Pakistan would not be able to double speak their way out this time around with US.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

If there is any US-China conflict regarding SCS or Taiwan, that's the best time to retake PoK as Cheen blothels cannot come to aid of Pukis. Excellent opportunity to defang and humiliate Puki army, navy and air force.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

ramana wrote:Five Indian American Hindus Democrat Congressmen gathered in this picture:
Ami Bera converted from Hinduism to Unitarian Universalism....only good thing is that denomination is somewhat close in its spirit to Hinduism. Pramila did not declare herself a Hindu (unlike the other three Indian Americans) for some strange reason - but did take oath on the Gita.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Ok.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/us- ... d-pentagon
Congress on Friday passed historic legislation allowing retired US Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis to serve as the next defense secretary, overriding some Democrats who took a stand for civilian control of the military.
President Obama is expected sign off on legislation allowing Mattis to serve as defense secretary. White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters that Obama will not stand in the way of Mattis' appointment once Congress passes the legislation.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Arjun wrote:
ramana wrote:Five Indian American Hindus Democrat Congressmen gathered in this picture:
Ami Bera converted from Hinduism to Unitarian Universalism....only good thing is that denomination is somewhat close in its spirit to Hinduism. Pramila did not declare herself a Hindu (unlike the other three Indian Americans) for some strange reason - but did take oath on the Gita.
Unitarian universalist churches are very friendly to Eastern spiritual philosophies. Many conduct yoga, meditation programs and have a much more positive understanding of Hindu and Buddist beliefs than other churches.
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

Cosmo_R wrote:
Pathik wrote:From trump to Vin Diesel.

SDRE herion Deepika Fartukone is going to perform dance with band baja at Mumbai airport to welcome Gori chamdi Vin Diesel.

This kind of nanga naach can be done only by desis to please gori chamdis this way, whereas our top celebs are subjected to torturous cavity searches in masaland.
The aam abduls and poor people in India seem to have retained more of their dignity and self respect than these wannabe celebrities
Might want to fact check Vin Diesel (aka Mark Sinclair):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Diesel

"Diesel has stated that he is "of ambiguous ethnicity". His mother's background includes English, German, and Scottish. He has never met his biological father, and has stated that "all I know from my mother is that I have connections to many different cultures". Diesel has self-identified as "definitely a person of colour", and has stated that his parents' relationship would have been illegal in some parts of the United States due to anti-miscegenation laws.He was raised in New York City by his Caucasian mother and African-American stepfather, Irving H. Vincent, an acting instructor and theater manager."

SDRE Deepika's (BTW, she 5'9") skin color is the same as Vin Diesel's without his makeup. If skin color is the event trigger to determine whether 'nanga naach' is in order, then the Congress' naatchne gaane wale have picked the right one: RG. He's whiter by many shades than Vin Diesel.

JMT
sdre and gori chamdi == bollywood v/s hollywood. doesnt matter if there r shades. most bwood heroins are fair skinned still be desis for amirkhans
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

ramana wrote:Kamala Harris to serve on 4 Senate Committees;
1) Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee,
2) Senate Intelligence Committee
3) Environment and Public Works Committee
4) Budget Committee

She did not get Judiciary Committee despite her legal background.

Five Indian American Hindus Democrat Congressmen gathered in this picture:

Will find out their committee assignments in the House and post.

Happy Sankranti/Lohri/Pongal.
And don't forget the desis on the other side in the upcoming GOP-dominated Presidency, Senate AND House -- Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

One % AI get 1% seats in both legislature houses.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Bobby Jindal is a Desi? Come on. Too EJ to claim any link to Bharat. He himself said long back that he is not.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

"Bobby" holds no longer holds any elective office. He considers himself a white Christian.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

komal wrote:"Bobby" holds no longer holds any elective office. He considers himself a white Christian.
Indeed, we have analyzed him in detail several times. Ditto that chic Nikki, a white Christian mouthpiece. They are hailed as "Indian" Americans by DDM and other Lutyen elite and lapped up by deracinated eunuch junta for whom any pipsqueak with some Indian blood recognized by US is something to celebrate. Others have commented, but the shamelessness with which some clown called Vin Diseal or whoever is being hyped in India with some Bollywood bimbet is puke-worthy and tragic. It will take at least 30+ years of BJP govt in India to rid itself of this colonial cancer. Till then us nationalists have to grin and bear this shamelessness by our compatriots.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Even in India, being Indian is more civilisational than blood. Sister Niveditha is more Indian than Brunda Karant any day. Most of the "Indian Americans" who are in politics may not have any cultural views etc similar to Tulsi who we can say more Indian American than them.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Most of the "Indian Americans" who are in politics may not have any cultural views etc similar to Tulsi who we can say more Indian American than them.

From whatever little I know about this lady Tulsi gabbard I have to agree with you.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

To win in elections in a nation like the US, the candidate needs to identify more with the local culture. If they want to play chess personally also, they have to say that they love baseball. Same with religion. Unless you are a Cristian, you can not win votes easily. Race is one thing that many might have overcome in the US ( and in the west) but religion is not. Many times the right version of the religion is also necessary. I remember T. Blair converted to RC after getting out of 10 Downing Street only and not before. We know how the "Hussian" in his name was a major problem to Obomber.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... an_descent

US has produced some 30 politicians of Indian decent, some born in India.

I know of a handful, in their mid 20s, who had been influenced by Obama (some 15 years ago) and have worked their way through college, including Rhodes Scholar, should be hitting the scene in another 5 years or thereabouts.

From my observations, the ones I know and in general, most have Indian values. But I cannot think of anyone who leans towards India as even a partial goal. The general consensus is that they feel India certainly needs help, but that Indians cause more problems than solve for India.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

^^^How does is matter of what outsiders (read foreigners even of Indian origin parents or lineage) think or believe for Indian nation and that too from upcoming legislators/politicians of receding power who would be causing more problems than to solve for themselves starting Jan'17 onwards ?
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

If China gets into a shooting war with Taiwan/USA, would India stand up and take back Aksai Chin if not PoK ?
For such wars, The window of opportunity would be pretty small and whatever has to be done must be done in a weeks notice or so.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

No one needs to lean towards India as such. They can least have an understanding of our civilisation and do not thing us half naked snake charmers. That is a major improvement from the average political leader in the West.

Leaders of west particularly of the US seems to have no knowledge or understanding about what makes the other nations and people tick. That alone improves relations a great deal.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Yagnasri wrote:To win in elections in a nation like the US, the candidate needs to identify more with the local culture. If they want to play chess personally also, they have to say that they love baseball. Same with religion. Unless you are a Cristian, you can not win votes easily. Race is one thing that many might have overcome in the US ( and in the west) but religion is not. Many times the right version of the religion is also necessary. I remember T. Blair converted to RC after getting out of 10 Downing Street only and not before. We know how the "Hussian" in his name was a major problem to Obomber.
If you are running as a democrat, religion is not that important. In the recent election, a Somali Muslim women won a Congressional seat from Minnesota. Not Ayan Hirsa Ali, but a regular Hijabi muslim women.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Dipanker wrote:If you are running as a democrat, religion is not that important. In the recent election, a Somali Muslim women won a Congressional seat from Minnesota. Not Ayan Hirsa Ali, but a regular Hijabi muslim women.
I think you'll find that Minnesota is home to the largest Somali immigrant population in the US.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Kashi wrote:
Dipanker wrote:If you are running as a democrat, religion is not that important. In the recent election, a Somali Muslim women won a Congressional seat from Minnesota. Not Ayan Hirsa Ali, but a regular Hijabi muslim women.
I think you'll find that Minnesota is home to the largest Somali immigrant population in the US.
True, still one can not win any election without getting substantial chunk of white votes in most place other than few counties of Mississippi or Alabama. Electorally whites are still 70+% of the population.

In her district Whites are 63%, blacks 17%, Asian 12% and others the rest.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Dipanker wrote:True, still one can not win any election without getting substantial chunk of white votes in most place other than few counties of Mississippi or Alabama. Electorally whites are still 70+% of the population.

In her district Whites are 63%, blacks 17%, Asian 12% and others the rest.
The district she was elected from was heavily Democratic, in Minneapolis. Secondly, her campaign involved speeches in both English and Somali languages.

Heck even her republican opponent (who eventually suspended his campaigning) Abdimalik Askar is Somali immigrant.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Has anyone tried walking on a cake? As a child I have often walked on pakistan - not deliberately but it was sort-of unavoidable in the nice places where I grew up. I think there will be great similarities.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

^^ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Never walked on cake, but like you have waked on 'caca' quite often in childhood due to the marshy place I grew up in. Totally agree.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Unrelated to India, nonetheless, a good read.

Learning to love a multipolar world
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Yagnasri wrote:To win in elections in a nation like the US, the candidate needs to identify more with the local culture. If they want to play chess personally also, they have to say that they love baseball. Same with religion. Unless you are a Cristian, you can not win votes easily. Race is one thing that many might have overcome in the US ( and in the west) but religion is not. Many times the right version of the religion is also necessary. I remember T. Blair converted to RC after getting out of 10 Downing Street only and not before. We know how the "Hussian" in his name was a major problem to Obomber.
Not really, you need to find the right place to contest the elections.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -minnesota

As I pointed out to Dipanker in my posts above, Ilhan Omar campaigned in both English and Somali.

What you are saying, may apply to a very select group of candidates who feel the need to downplay or completely severe ties with their non-Christian roots to move ahead. If you are Ilhan Omar, you'll probably face little to no such constraints.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

US, Indian navies sharing information on Chinese subs, says Pacific Command chief
Admiral Harry B Harris, Commander of the United States Pacific Command, Wednesday said that US and Indian navies have been sharing information on the movement of Chinese submarines and ships in the Indian Ocean.
The US, he said, works “closely with India and with improving India’s capability to do that kind of surveillance. Malabar exercise… helps us hone our ability to track what China is doing in the Indian Ocean. Chinese submarines are clearly an issue and we know they are operating through the region.”
Although Pakistan does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Pacific Command, Admiral Harris said, “The relationship between China and Pakistan is of concern, and in my discussions with my Indian counterparts, they are clearly concerned about that. I believe that China’s relations with Bangladesh is of some concern… India views China correctly and we share the same view of China and I think we are in a good place.”
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... s-4480900/
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.firstpost.com/world/donald-t ... 07500.html
Donald Trump presidency may cast shadow on India, US and Australia trilateral relations
With Donald Trump set to be inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States on 20 January, will his presidency alter India-US-Australia trilateral relations?
It is an indisputable fact that the US is a vital strategic ally for Australia. The depth of the collaboration between the two Pacific-rim countries can be seen in various spheres like foreign policy and national security. Australian defence policy is basically driven by the Australia, New Zealand, United States Security Alliance (ANZUS). The ties between the two English-speaking democracies have been so strong that Australia is often derided as the Deputy Sheriff of the US in the region.
All this could undergo a drastic makeover once Trump takes the presidency of undoubtedly the most powerful country on our planet. If the US significantly downgrades the alliance with Canberra, there is a likelihood that Australia could move over to seek similar ties with its largest trading partner, China.
If this happens, India's burgeoning diplomatic and trade ties with Australia could also come under severe strain. In a worst-case scenario, there is a possibility that a Trump presidency can negatively impact the supply of uranium by Australia to India. Similarly, various multilateral dialogues involving Australia, India and the US could also be scrapped or downgraded.
It would be relevant to mention here that the upswing in the Indo-Australian bilateral ties can be traced to the early 2000s when policymakers looking to maintain US dominance in Asia started considering India as a potential counter-weight to China.
If the leaked US diplomatic cables (published by WikiLeaks) are to be believed, the US cajoled Prime Minister John Howard to change Australia's hard stance on India. The push came after President George Bush and Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee signed what is known as the Next Steps in Strategic Partnership (NSSP) agreement in 2004.
In March 2006, Howard signed six bilateral agreements in India, including a memorandum of understanding on defence cooperation.
Foreign affairs experts believe that if pushed too hard by the US, Australia is likely to take a serious look at strengthening its relations with the Asian powerhouse China. There is already pressure from the Australian business community on Canberra to move away from the US-centric foreign, defence and trade policies.
The concerns over Donald Trump's threat to scarp the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal and the Anzus continue to occupy a significant space in the public dialogue Down Under.
Trump's foreign policy can bury the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QSD) which was started as an informal strategic dialogue between the United States, Japan, Australia and India in 2007. It could also have a negative impact on the high-level trilateral dialogue between India, Japan and Australia.
The allies are definitely experiencing pangs of uncertainty about the global outlook Trump may have during the initial stage of his presidency.
WP's have to find another patron, one that is not going to be half as generous as the current one.
Gautam
Last edited by g.sarkar on 19 Jan 2017 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Another article. But, why are these guys surprised. This was declared after Obama visited India that the two navies would share sub info.

US Pacific commander admits US-India jointly tracking Chinese submarines
A key indicator is Harris’ admission --- the first time ever --- that the two navies are jointly tracking Chinese naval movements in the Indian Ocean. To build up Indian capability to track submarines, Washington had cleared the sale of Boeing P-8I Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft --- the world’s most fearsome submarine hunters.
Eh?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Anup, From the 50s through mid 60s India was the Sheriff of Indian Ocean. The naval ships were mostly ASW types. Then as prelude to 1965 war India got dropped from the joint naval exercise etc.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

My 6th coujin thrice removed once had occasion to go into a office deep inside the 5-sided babucracy. There was a nice dartboard on the wall, with the map of China shown covering the entire board.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Good to know, we can do business with these people.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

A data point:
Harris downplayed concerns about whether the incoming Donald Trump administration might be less focused on US-India defence ties. He said: “In my meetings [last week] with the President elect teams, both in the OSD (office of secretary of defense) and the national security council… [they] underscored the seriousness with which they view India’s relationship with the US.”

Harris believes Trump is unlikely to tamper with the rebalance to Asia, beyond a token change of name. “I don’t know if we’re going to change the name but the military component of the rebalance…that has already happened.

He said: “Sixty per cent of the US Navy is already in the Pacific now, and sixty per cent of US Air Force striking power is here. The army has increased the number of soldiers, and PACOM has already raised the rank of its senior army commander from three-star to a four-star general.”

Harris, ethnically a Japanese American and the first Asian American to become admiral, is particularly disliked by Beijing for his forthright confrontation of China. At last year’s Raisina Dialogue, Harris irritated Beijing by calling upon India to cooperate closely with the US Navy in the South China Sea; and to expand the ongoing trilateral defence cooperation (with the US and Japan) into a quadrilateral dialogue that included Australia.
The quadrilateral dialogue should happen in the next couple of years.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://baptistnews.com/article/richard ... IGQW9zbh3m
"Richard Land says evangelicals getting unprecedented input into Trump White House"
“I can’t tell you everything I know here, but I can tell you this,” Land said. “This administration is going to have more conservative Christians — Catholic and evangelical — in it than any administration that I have been associated with or had contact with, and I’ve been doing this since Reagan.”