Understanding the United States of America (USA) - III

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the United States of America (USA) - III

Post by Viv S »

panduranghari wrote:In global perspectives, I posted a youtube video by Grant Williams called -Crazy:The story of debt.

When you say India needs access to capital. We have access to capital. Capital does not mean US dollars alone. This is important to internalise.
I said 'capital' not 'dollars'. And while global capital is not synonomous with the dollar, its not distinct either. Market sentiments across the world are close coupled and tend to drift in the same direction.

And yes we have 'access' to capital, everyone does. No sanctions in play. However what that capital costs us, depends on local risk, specific growth prospects and general appetite for risk in the global market.
When you say India needs Free Trade. We HONESTLY dont. We needed internal free trade and GST has already done that. We dont buy much from other countries, neither do we sell to others much. Except OIL.
It is not a binary choice. Internal free trade (something that no one can argue against) doesn't come at the cost of exports. That we don't buy much or less much is a description of our current state not a justification. For a country with our fundamental cost advantages (and reliance on foreign energy), limited trade that is not a plus.
Economic expansion also called growth cannot be sustained permanently. Unlike what the western economists who think economy is a machine and can be continuous be improved by tinkering, Indic view is different. Economy is not a machine. Its a living organism. A super organism. It breathes in and breathes out. Breathing in is the expansion. Breathing out is the necessary contraction to expel CO2 so that fresh O2 can be inhaled again. This is important to internalise.
High growth rates cannot be sustained indefinitely. I think everyone is familiar with Japan's example. And its the Chinese that are tinkering with their economic statistics who need to internalize that.

Nothing to do with India. We very very far reaching our full economic potential.
West as we know it collapsing under its own weight. On all measures- capital investments, debt growth, demographics, internal fissures.
The West has been 'collapsing' for decades now. If and when it does, the rest of the world will be in the muck with it.

And if a super global recession/collapse were to occur, I'd rather it be later than sooner giving Modi a larger window for his reforms and infra expansion.

If, theoretically, global trade were to collapse tomorrow, China would be worst hit but it would still have its highways, railways, airports, power-plants, schools, universities, cities, factories and skilled workers. The 'West' would have the same or more of it, but India much less.
We should stick to strategic ambivalence. I believe C Rajamohan has stated it. I am open to be corrected.

If west wants to engage India and derive benefit, they must accept Indian Exceptionalism. Trump will be more willing to accept this than Clinton ever will because as a businessman he understands the concept of letting the other party feel that they have won.
That's a philosophical idea. What it means in practice is... open to interpretation. Though I imagine, it'll feel good, much like a seat in the NSG & UNSC.

As for this supposed Trump philosophy of 'letting the other party feel they've won'.. I really don't even know what to say to that. Is that really a thing? Do his business partners, current & former, "feel" like winners? Do his customers, those buying steaks, water and business courses, for example, "feel" like winners?

And what does that mean for India anyway? Trump will... make us "feel" like winners too after putting his 'art of the deal' in play?
West should worry about stability. India does not. India gains much from disruption from the current status quo. I do find Rudradev ji's analysis that Westphalian model still has legs, a tad confusing because I feel the glue holding the westphalian model itself is loosing it stickiness.
I think the idea that India can remain aloof from and unaffected by stability in the "West" (which includes most of East Asia too) is a utopian one. Maybe decades from now, if the process of globalization has been reversed, that'll be true. For now, we're still early in the development cycle and still part of a closely interlinked global economy. Both facts that will remain true for the duration Trump's tenure in office.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Kellyanne Sticks It To Media for Bashing Donald Trump All The Time!

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Hopkins calls CNN the Clinton News Network, anchor loses it

Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Mort Walker wrote:
Gusji,

Have you drank your liter of gau mutra yet? :rotfl:
Why would I do that? :rotfl: I bet on a beer..you said you only drink Gau mutra. You won. I will buy you a liter or a gallon or whatever , whenever I am in bay area next.

You can happily chug on that and celebrate.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Hillary’s MASSIVE MELTDOWN "If that f - - - ing ******** wins, we all hang from nooses!

Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

panduranghari wrote:You are mistaking Rakshaks for being pro trump. We predominantly are anti Hillary.
Thst's fine as long as people don't do a self defeating white xtian American == hindu Indian and trump == modi.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

David Stockman: National debt is ticking time bomb

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

David Stockman mentions that he prefers Jim Grant as the new Fed Chief instead of Yallen.

Does any one from US knows who Jim Grant his and his past works ?

Yallen certainly has been a disaster and has done nothing more than increase debt to $20 trillion
Last edited by Austin on 12 Nov 2016 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Chetakji, let me rephrase my question. I can understand FBI arresting the person making threats against POTUS, like you said, USC or not, if the person making the threats is physically in the US. Can MI-6 or another foreign law enforcement agency arrest a citizen of its country on behalf of FBI/US? If my panwaalah who is INC and resides in India, makes an absurd comment like that desi journo about POTUS, can FBI/Indian law enforcement arrest him (assuming that they somehow got to know of his comment)? The reason I asking the above is, the desi journo seems to be employed with the Guardian and thus I assumed she resides in Englang and perhaps is a British National...was just surprised that FBI "arrested" a foreign citizen. I think now that she may have been in the US when she tweeted that statement and got coming rightfully so!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the true essence of being a liberal elite.
New Balance is the only major shoe co left in the US - 4 mil pairs annually
they opposed the trade access which allows the others to freely import from cheen
they hoped to get a DOD deal but did not
so their VP expresses support for Trump after election

libtards go out and burn new balance sneakers !!

http://www.newsweek.com/new-balance-don ... picks=true
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

Gus wrote:
panduranghari wrote:You are mistaking Rakshaks for being pro trump. We predominantly are anti Hillary.
Thst's fine as long as people don't do a self defeating white xtian American == hindu Indian and trump == modi.
No one is comparing the two. What atleast i want to convey is the lack of civility on side of those who claim to be liberal, global and accept/celebrate differences. For once they are out of their comfort zone and their 'principles' have been junked. Trump individually means nothing.

Makes for very interesting debates with my liberal friends.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

And while GrubHub (???) CEO says trump supporter is unwelcome he is applauded. Libtards behave as if they OWN the world. Most petulant folks with a BIG attitude.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/11/1360 ... ontroversy
GrubHub App Store reviews plummet after CEO’s anti-Trump memo

“If you do not agree with this statement then please reply to this email with your resignation because you have no place here,” Maloney wrote in his initial email.
Last edited by pankajs on 12 Nov 2016 18:01, edited 2 times in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

A 21yo student has rejected a $100k fellowship given by peter thiel to work on VR due to his support of Trump.

http://www.businessinsider.in/This-21-y ... 363196.cms

It wasn't an easy decision as a young adult to turn down $100,000 but Scharf wrote in his post that he "cannot justify being associated with someone who helped a psychopathic, sexist, racist, bigoted, xenophobic, poisonous demagogue rise to power."
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

media photos of trump always show him from side profile, a large head, a stubborn mouth, brooding, angry, .... like a bust of a good old roman era tyrant .. on a dark background ... subtle data driven psyops

hillary would be front or 3/4 smiling with a light coiour background
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Zynda wrote:Chetakji, let me rephrase my question. I can understand FBI arresting the person making threats against POTUS, like you said, USC or not, if the person making the threats is physically in the US. Can MI-6 or another foreign law enforcement agency arrest a citizen of its country on behalf of FBI/US? If my panwaalah who is INC and resides in India, makes an absurd comment like that desi journo about POTUS, can FBI/Indian law enforcement arrest him (assuming that they somehow got to know of his comment)? The reason I asking the above is, the desi journo seems to be employed with the Guardian and thus I assumed she resides in Englang and perhaps is a British National...was just surprised that FBI "arrested" a foreign citizen. I think now that she may have been in the US when she tweeted that statement and got coming rightfully so!
I don't think that the FBI will go after foreigners outside of the US. If the foreigner is on US soil, they will arrest that person as long as the abused person is a secret service protectee. That seems to be their law.

Our great lady journo may not be desi as in passport but she may have been in the US at the time. Whatever it may be, she deserves all that is coming to her.

why do these creeps like this fool and burkha feel the need to take sides in some useless elections not concerning them in any way??
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Austin wrote:David Stockman mentions that he prefers Jim Grant as the new Fed Chief instead of Yallen.

Yallen certainly has been a disaster and has done nothing more than increase debt to $20 trillion
Austin Sir, I believe he is the same bow tie Jim Grant of "Grant's Interest Rate Observer".

Not that I'm very familiar with his view, but based on several occasion when I heard him speak, he is knowledgeable guy enough to disqualify him from the race to replace Yellen :D
Away from his regular economics view, he is very bullish on India. Most of material the on his site is subscription only but the India piece can be obtained from link below by providing name and email. Scroll all the way to bottom of the page for "Bullish on India, March 21, 2014".

30-year Grant's highlight
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

chanakyaa wrote:
Austin wrote:David Stockman mentions that he prefers Jim Grant as the new Fed Chief instead of Yallen.

Austin Sir, I believe he is the same bow tie Jim Grant of "Grant's Interest Rate Observer".

Not that I'm very familiar with his view, but based on several occasion when I heard him speak, he is knowledgeable guy enough to disqualify him from the race to replace Yellen :D
Away from his regular economics view, he is very bullish on India. Most of material the on his site is subscription only but the India piece can be obtained from link below by providing name and email. Scroll all the way to bottom of the page for "Bullish on India, March 21, 2014".

30-year Grant's highlight
Thanks , Yes if he is knowledgeable guy he will be disqualified from the race for sure.

All they need up there as fed head is Jamie Dimon :wink:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

James Grant: "The Forgotten Depression of 1921: The Crash That Cured Itself" | Talks at Google

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

New pecking order (even Pence will have a major say)

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Gus wrote:
Is it just me? I find it a bit tiring to read these endless sermons on how Forum postors should think, "fine as long as u don't", etc.
REPENT, SINNERS! THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT IS AT HAND! ONLY HE HU SITS ON A PIN SHALL RISE AGAIN!!
etc. If I wanted to get scolded by Big Sisters, Aunts etc I could go post at FaceBook, hain? :eek: :shock: :((
Isn't it bad enough, hain, that one makes a disagreeable Democrat of oneself for weeks haranguing other postors - and then turning out ultimately to have been just another pompous ignoramus all along? I mean, nearly as silly as a JNU Sanskrit Chair!!! Why not take a hint and observe a Unilaterial Moratorium On Giving Pompous Advice? Read the Writing On the Wall that says U May NOT b a Genius!! Why not take a vacation maybe and go post at PakDef as a sabbatical?

Ppl come here to post their opinions, or just float trial balloons, or maybe to roll the odd IED mubarak and watch the fun. And fun it HAS been, watching these KIAs officially prove themselves to be Democrat symbols.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

yellen is not going to be replaced unless she wants to quit.

she is only 2 years into a 6 year appointment.

comey of the fbi will not be replaced either, unless he wants it. he is 3 years into a 10 year appointment.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

Comey can be fired.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I think Comey's resignation will be accepted with a glowing Thanks (now buzz off)!!! He may be transferred to another agency, fine, but I think he is finished at the FBI/Justice. He cannot very well restart The Investigation, and the Elephants will have the Boy Hu Cried Wolf problem if they don't prosecute at least one person (Like Poindexter for Iran-Contra) or poor whatsherface for WhiteWater, and that poor woman who revealed the Monica Lewinsky tapes.

I think they should call him for Hearings so he can rat on the Justice Dept bozos.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/fa ... shion.html

Another ignoble psychobabbling article...as in mrs trump wears foreign labels too so trumps are not for made in amrika while hc had fashion industry as close friends and sychophants

Its like namo wear suit namo bad...raga wear khadi raga good
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Nyt wapo cnn in deep mourning and sulking...irrelevant and no special status now...exposed
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

UlanBatori wrote:Why not take a hint and observe a Unilaterial Moratorium On Giving Pompous Advice? Why not take a vacation maybe and go post at PakDef as a sabbatical?

Ppl come here to post their opinions,
Yes, and I am posting mine. And I am not preventing you from posting yours.

Take a hike if you don't like it.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Or put me on ignore list instead of telling other indians with contrary opinions to go to Pak def.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Singha wrote:Nyt wapo cnn in deep mourning and sulking...irrelevant and no special status now...exposed
NYT .. letter from the editor ... we will be honest ityadi :roll:

Seems letter to the editor / feedbak has been harsh.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Singha wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/fa ... shion.html

Another ignoble psychobabbling article...as in mrs trump wears foreign labels too so trumps are not for made in amrika while hc had fashion industry as close friends and sychophants

Its like namo wear suit namo bad...raga wear khadi raga good
It was striking that on election night, for example, while Melania Trump also wore Ralph Lauren (a white jumpsuit), the outfit was, according to the brand, one she had bought off the rack, as opposed to one that she had worked with the designer to create.

Indeed, all the clothes she wore on the campaign trail seem to have been part of a shopping spree, as opposed to a strategic plan. There’s nothing wrong with that. Arguably it is part of what makes a woman who lives in a gilded penthouse seem more normal (she buys, just like everyone else!) But it reflects her distance from the industry.
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

She is a commmoner who buys clothes in a store and does not use designer.

:rotfl:
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

I am with the Yam herder. Voted for Trump despite some reservations but I can think for myself without the rants of the liberals who are inured to Killary's leanings to Pakiland.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

IMO readership/viewership of NYT/WaPo/CNN and other left/liberal outlets will not change.

Whites with no college education who have overwhelmingly voted for Trump, in all likelihood were not subscribing to these outlets anyway, and the the democrats/liberals are not about to change their worldview just on account of this electoral loss .

If anything, in the aftermath of this loss democratic party will shift more towards left/liberal positions to attract the millennials (whose lacklustre turnout cost Hillary dearly) which actually will be closer to the readership/viewership of these left/liberal outlets.

Lastly I am somewhat skeptical of this notion of "Redshift" since by the time all votes are counted, Hillary will win the popular vote by the margin of 1 to 2 million, and Trump will fare poorer than McCain or Romney. The shift is illusory, it is the 4 million millennials who just did not show up to vote Hillary.
Last edited by Dipanker on 12 Nov 2016 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Could it be that a large majority of the millenials did not show up because they did not *want* to show up?
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

The fact of the matter is Trump won and won resoundingly, fair and clear. Or more importantly Clinton has lost and humiliatingly so. Trump has come out flying colors in the biggest exam that he is supposed to face and clear.
Now ranting about how the exam system is unfair, yada yada is time pass for cry babies. This will take in many forms, look Trump is backing down on this, that.
It needs mass psycho-theraphy to make lot of cry-babies to accept reality. The 45th president has been elected and the train has left the station.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Yes, they showed up for Obama, they showed for Bernie but showed up Hillary in far fewer numbers and some actually voted for Trump. In Michigan where the official result has still not been announced, presidential column in upward of 90,000 ballots was left blank ( Trump lead is ~12,000), obviously as a mark of protest.

Political leaning of millennials, who are a essential component of dems coalition, is left/liberal and to placate them dems will have to move towards left.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

^^^ That is my sense of the situation, and that is why I say that the democrats effed it up, royally. Also means that they were completely out of touch with both the "real" right and the "real" left of massaland.

The guy who was in touch with the "real-right" and found ways and means to push their buttons managed to win, and that is probably why he will be the president that massaland deserves. i.e. atleast some "average joe" type of people who lean towards the real-right might benefit.

Hillary would have been the president that was out of touch with the ground and would have done things that are disconnected with what people really want.

I would say the American public did make the right choice here. Sucks for many people, but I guess it is what it is: Democracy at work.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Dipanker wrote:Whites with no college education who have overwhelmingly voted for Trump, in all likelihood were not subscribing to these outlets anyway, and the the democrats/liberals are not about to change their worldview just on account of this electoral loss .
Fyi, Trump also won whites with a college degree 49% to 45%.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

What I am happy about is, the Klingon machine is dead in its tracks and instead we have this guy who promises to be inward focused (which is what is needed IMHO for unkle and his citizens).

With madam president, interference in Indian affairs would have been a certainty, just look at the number of presstitutes who were licking their lips and heading off to massa right before the election, all behaving exactly like how they do in India: Being shills for pappu etc. They were the sepoys being assembled for war by the Klingon empire. Both the sepoys and the klingons hoped that they would win, but alas the opposite happened. :lol:

This elections basically retards their efforts for a few years, by that time NaMo would have changed India in many important ways. It gives us some breathing space to get critical things done to defend ourselves in the future.

I am happy, regardless of what happens to me here.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Billionaire Soros linked to Anti-Trump protests: Wikileaks

Dozens of Buses Parked Near Trump Protest

JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

LokeshC wrote: I am happy, regardless of what happens to me here.
Take a bow!
Irrespective of fears, that exactly is the true spirit that many Desis miss. They miss larger picture. That strong mothership will automatically help one elsewhere too. Instead those who want to feel and brag about having ARRIVED, have a tendency to highlight how mothership is faulty and try to justify why their ARRIVAL was next best thing since sliced bread. Bizzare verifications and validations, to decisions that one has made either personally or collectively. Now this bragging right is punctured and that will cause some anxiety.