Understanding the United States of America (USA) - III

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the United States of America (USA) - III

Postby Singha » 14 Nov 2016 19:32

Great warriors like Namo and DT are at their heart not just complete swordsmen and duelists...
...more than that they are also great philosophers and deep thinkers.
the sword blade and body follow the Mind
the Mind is above all
the Mind must be clear of any confusion and conflict
the Mind must see only the eye of the bird in the tree...
that is The Way of Dronacharya

JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Postby JwalaMukhi » 14 Nov 2016 19:39

Trump has won where it mattered.
He has freedom to act as allowed by his victory and not be bogged by bogus advices and complaints about how he needs to behave yada, yada.
Rightly so and he will.

Arjun
BRF Oldie

Postby Arjun » 14 Nov 2016 19:40

Lalmohan wrote:
Arjun wrote:Err...what would you have recommended that he do ?

presidents are supposed to put all business interests into a blind trust whilst they are in office. his son has previously refused to do so

Trump has agreed to putting his businesses in a blind trust...the trust will be managed by his children and these children will not have any say in government once he is sworn in. Also blind trust rules don't apply to President in the US for some reason.

He does need to be very careful though on this issue. He can't afford anything that points to impropriety...

TSJones
BRF Oldie

Postby TSJones » 14 Nov 2016 20:01

panduranghari wrote:
LokeshC wrote:I am happy, regardless of what happens to me here.

Spoken like a true Bharat Rakshak.

yes, but does that also apply to his American family? serious question.....

LokeshC
BRFite

Postby LokeshC » 14 Nov 2016 20:04

I don't have one. Yet. Even if I did, I am sure they will understand my stand even though they don't agree.
Last edited by LokeshC on 14 Nov 2016 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Postby Dipanker » 14 Nov 2016 20:06

JwalaMukhi wrote:
Dipanker wrote:You might find this tweet interesting:

There is a huge difference in complaining before entering/(results) the game versus whining after loosing the game!

This is part of series of tweets he made after Obama was declared winner in 2012 election. For a while it looked like Romney may win the popular vote, these tweets were made in that context.

Take a look:
http://mashable.com/2012/11/06/trump-re ... jDeBLvikqg

LokeshC
BRFite

Postby LokeshC » 14 Nov 2016 20:21

Dipanker, I am no Trump fanboy.

I am impressed by his tactics and strategies, but what he is going to do as el brezidente remains to be seen. My guess is that it won't be as bad as it is made out to be.

This complaining about electoral college happens after almost every election, but have you seen this level of violence and strong armed tactics before?

IndraD
BRF Oldie

Postby IndraD » 14 Nov 2016 20:33

deleted

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 14 Nov 2016 20:57

my take on violent protests is as follows - democrats live in cities, republicans mostly rural - yahoos on both sides are therefore differently distributed. red land yahoos don't develop rioting critical mass but can cause other types of violence and violent damage. urban yahoos find it easier to get to critical mass and then riot

its very misleading to suggest that this is a one-way process or restricted to one side

LokeshC
BRFite

Postby LokeshC » 14 Nov 2016 21:05

^^^ you may have a point.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 14 Nov 2016 21:09

This tactic of citing a Trump Tweet from 2012 that says Electoral College is a disaster is typical Poor Loser tactic. It is exactly what HiC walked into with her claims about DT "not paying taxes".

The right answer is as DT said, "Duh, YOU made the rules, being in power/politics for 30 years. I just followed the rules."
HiC thought she was being oh so smart, using the Klingon Foundation to channel her bribes for Pay 2 Play, while accusing Trump of not paying taxes. His answer "That's because I am smart" was absolutely on the dot for anyone who actually fills out the Form 1040 each year - one looks for every loophole possible, or if one's accountants miss a trick, one slams them.

Professional tax-fillers advertise how much more refund you'll get if you use their services - they don't advertise
Use HiC&W Blockheads and You can Pay MORE Tax than Your Neighbors!

Hillary Clinton, with a law degree (maybe given as Pay2Play as well, or because they needed to fill quotas, going by her standards) did not allow the truth of this to inhibit her blatantly false propaganda - and she wonders why sensible Americans did not vote for her! :rotfl: I heard her, NUMEROUS times, you heard her NUMEROUS times, repeating this total nonsense like a particulary stupid robot.

Now this :(( :(( about their Electoral Vote scam - how many $$B did they spend in Florida and PA and MI trying to win that narrow plurality that they miserable failed to win because DT had Our Secret Weppun the DOO working for him? If Plurality is all that mattered, it would be "Anti-Hillary" and "Pro-Hillary" - and clearly she got whipped in that as well. Trump and his supporters could have EASILY increased their vote counts in say, Georgia or the Western states by going door to door and asking people to come out and vote. With the Electoral College it was a complete waste of time, everyone knew Hillary had not the ghost of a chance in these states.

How about that incident of bribing/threatening the polling booth managers in Nevada to violate the rules and not close the booth at 5PM, limiting to the people ALREADY IN LINE AT 5PM like the rules say? So the rules don't apply to the HiCkies, hain?

What a bunch of total oiseules! And people HERE repeating this cra*! And me trying not to get banned by succumbing to the temptation to give the Befitting Reply, hain? It's becoming very hard! :mrgreen:
Last edited by UlanBatori on 14 Nov 2016 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

ssundar
BRFite

Postby ssundar » 14 Nov 2016 21:11

All this electoral college talk is nonsense. Without electoral college, the alienated sections of the population would only get even more alienated and start insurgencies in their pockets. The electoral college ensures that Presidential candidates visit every state, small and big, and promise to keep everyone's best interests in mind. Remember that HillC thought she could waltz into the WH on the strength of city votes alone. She ignored all of Pennsylvania because Philly and Pittsy were considered "in the bag". Is that what "liberals" want?

Y. Kanan
BRFite

Postby Y. Kanan » 14 Nov 2016 21:27

CEO Of PepsiCo Makes MASSIVE Anti-Trump Statement, Now Americans Everywhere Are Boycotting
http://usherald.com/ceo-pepsico-makes-m ... oycotting/

Sigh... why can't all these idiot liberal desis just keep their mouths shut? Embarrassing.

habal
BRF Oldie

Postby habal » 14 Nov 2016 21:40

kuch to shehar ke log bhi zaalim san

kuj sanu vi maran ka shauk si

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 14 Nov 2016 21:44

yak herder, I urge you to consider the libations and herbs you consume before worshipping teb tengri and ssutu bogdo

what is called out in the electoral college tweet is opportunism (which you cite) and hypocracy - he didn't like the rules then, but he does now. if the vote had gone the other way, he would be the FIRST to complain

what would your own stance be under those circumstances? (serious question)

ldev
BRF Oldie

Postby ldev » 14 Nov 2016 22:04

Lalmohan wrote:what is called out in the electoral college tweet is opportunism (which you cite) and hypocracy - he didn't like the rules then, but he does now. if the vote had gone the other way, he would be the FIRST to complain

Watch his 60 minutes interview conducted after the election. He still prefers the raw vote option even though he won via the electoral college system.

Gus
BRF Oldie

Postby Gus » 14 Nov 2016 22:14

If Trump says in 2012 that electoral college needs to be abolished and people need to march on Washington - he is a man of the regular people fighting against system .

It is only hypocritical if others do the same now.

Basically, do as I say not as I say or err..umm..MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN. now shut up.

Gus
BRF Oldie

Postby Gus » 14 Nov 2016 22:16

Arjun wrote:Trump has agreed to putting his businesses in a blind trust...the trust will be managed by his children and these children will not have any say in government once he is sworn in....

Ok what is it. Is it blind trust or his children managing. ?

You do understand that they are mutually exclusive. ?

Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Postby Dipanker » 14 Nov 2016 22:30

ssundar wrote:All this electoral college talk is nonsense. Without electoral college, the alienated sections of the population would only get even more alienated and start insurgencies in their pockets. The electoral college ensures that Presidential candidates visit every state, small and big, and promise to keep everyone's best interests in mind. Remember that HillC thought she could waltz into the WH on the strength of city votes alone. She ignored all of Pennsylvania because Philly and Pittsy were considered "in the bag". Is that what "liberals" want?

That I am afraid is not correct. In electoral college only a dozen battleground states decide the outcome an thus get all the attention.

This year, 2/3 of all rallies were held in 3 battleground states ( Florida, North Carolina, Ohio ), 94% rallies were held in about 9 of them, and 15 states or so did not receive 1 single visit by either candidate.

TSJones
BRF Oldie

Postby TSJones » 14 Nov 2016 22:31

Lalmohan wrote:my take on violent protests is as follows - democrats live in cities, republicans mostly rural - yahoos on both sides are therefore differently distributed. red land yahoos don't develop rioting critical mass but can cause other types of violence and violent damage. urban yahoos find it easier to get to critical mass and then riot

its very misleading to suggest that this is a one-way process or restricted to one side

we don't chimp out and riot. we get organized.

pankajs
BRF Oldie

Postby pankajs » 14 Nov 2016 22:37

^ who is we? Every side in America?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/us/po ... .html?_r=0
Outrage Grows Over Stephen Bannon, as Donald Trump Reaches Out to the World
Civil rights groups, Democrats and some Republicans on Monday denounced President-elect Trump’s decision to appoint Stephen K. Bannon to a top White House position, warning that he represents nationalist and racist views that should be rejected by the incoming president.

Congressional Republicans remained largely silent about the decision, choosing to instead praise Mr. Trump’s announcement that Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, will become the new White House chief of staff.

But on Twitter and in statements emailed to reporters, a chorus of critics lamented what they said was a frightening normalization of the fringe views that Mr. Bannon promoted as the chairman of Breitbart News.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said Mr. Bannon’s selection “sends the disturbing message that anti-Muslim conspiracy theories and white nationalist ideology will be welcome in the White House.”

That view was echoed by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a group that tracks hate groups, which insisted that “Trump should rescind this hire. In his victory speech, Trump said he intended to be president for ‘all Americans.’ Bannon should go.”

Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Postby Dipanker » 14 Nov 2016 22:42

This rioting thing is being overblown, hundreds of protest were held across the length and breadth of the nation yet violence was confined almost exclusively to Portland Oregon where a dozen odd windows ( Bank of America, Chase Bank and the likes) were broken, 1 dumpster fire lit, 71 protesters arrested, and 1 person got shot in the leg. Police blamed it on anarchists.
Last edited by Dipanker on 14 Nov 2016 23:01, edited 2 times in total.

habal
BRF Oldie

Postby habal » 14 Nov 2016 22:42

TSJones wrote:we don't chimp out and riot. we get organized.

they chimp out and riot because they 'feel' powerless.

the black panthers do not chimp out or riot. They get even.

atleast to the best possible extent they can.

Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Postby Dipanker » 14 Nov 2016 22:47

UlanBatori wrote: Trump and his supporters could have EASILY increased their vote counts in say, Georgia or the Western states by going door to door and asking people to come out and vote. With the Electoral College it was a complete waste of time, everyone knew Hillary had not the ghost of a chance in these states.

Could Hillary supporters done the same in California etc. ?

Arjun
BRF Oldie

Postby Arjun » 14 Nov 2016 22:49

Gus wrote:Ok what is it. Is it blind trust or his children managing. ?

You do understand that they are mutually exclusive. ?

Blind trusts are more relevant for financial holdings such as stocks and bonds. These are overseen by third parties who make independent investment decisions and buy / sell these assets so that the beneficiary himself has no clue which asset is included in his trust. The logic there is that the president is free to make official decisions without worrying about how they might appear to affect his or her fortunes.

The bulk of Trump’s wealth, however, is tied up in hard assets housed under the Trump Organization’s corporate umbrella. Those assets don’t lend themselves as easily to a blind trust as securities do, unless he tries to liquidate / sell his entire organization.

So, point is this is somewhat unprecedented for an entrepreneur running a firm to land up as president and therefore we will need new solutions. What did Bloomberg do when he was elected Mayor of NY ? Did he put his firm in a blind trust ?

Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Postby Dipanker » 14 Nov 2016 22:57

Two more fun tweets by Trump from 2012, due to condemnation he ended up deleting them (tweets he made under the impression that Obama had lost the popular vote), the rest are still still there!

Last edited by Dipanker on 14 Nov 2016 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

ldev
BRF Oldie

Postby ldev » 14 Nov 2016 23:00

When Bloomberg became Mayor, Lex Fenwick was appointed CEO in place of Bloomberg. Bloomberg is now again the CEO now that he is no longer holding a public office. Like the Trump organization, Bloomberg L.P. is a private company. The difference is that Trump's children run 3 different division of his company instead of having a non family person run the business. It is not fair to deprive his children of their jobs just because their father will become President.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 14 Nov 2016 23:06

yes the poor darlings won't be able to survive on their father's $1/year salary...

now children, can we all spell c-o-n-f-l-I-c-t-o-f-I-n-t-e-r-e-s-t?

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Postby sanjaykumar » 14 Nov 2016 23:26

we don't chimp out and riot. we get organized.

My advice to America: Buy guns.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 14 Nov 2016 23:34

sanjaykumar wrote:we don't chimp out and riot. we get organized.

My advice to America: Buy MOREguns.

there, corrected!

ldev
BRF Oldie

Postby ldev » 14 Nov 2016 23:41

Lalmohan wrote:yes the poor darlings won't be able to survive on their father's $1/year salary...

now children, can we all spell c-o-n-f-l-I-c-t-o-f-I-n-t-e-r-e-s-t?

So you expect 3 persons in their 30s who are used to working hard and taking their company forward to give up all that and sit at home and get a monthly check. Sometimes people work for more than just money..... but if you are completely anti Trump, then nothing will matter.....except finding fault.....Also, the Trump organization will be under huge scrutiny especially regarding any Government dealing when he is President and the usual left leaning media will scream bloody hell regardless. Lastly, the man was elected without having released his tax returns and with voters knowing fully well that there was the potential for conflict of interest. Obviously they voted for him despite these issues because there were other issues that were more important for voters. LIke the woman I saw on CNN who voted for Trump saying," Look, he is far from perfect and has many faults, but he is the only one who is talking to us about issues that matter such as jobs and the downward spiral of our economic security." Now those economic issues trumped :) everything else.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 14 Nov 2016 23:45

well - I believe there is a long standing policy in the united states regarding this matter
there is a very clear conflict of interest in the case where a family member is in a position of influence and another is in a position to make money
its not up to me, there is such a thing as law and precedence

just as you are ready to spread the 'if you want to find fault' message, it is just as easy to spread the 'if you want to excuse everything' message

this is why laws were created, no?

ldev
BRF Oldie

Postby ldev » 14 Nov 2016 23:48

Uniquely the conflict of interest laws apply to every public office in the US EXCEPT the office of the President of the US. So in reality , Trump has to do nothing and he will be in conformity with the law. Let's see what they do finally. Giuliani was saying that they will work out something.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 14 Nov 2016 23:50

well yes, they absolutely have to work out something

ldev
BRF Oldie

Postby ldev » 14 Nov 2016 23:50

Also, the choice on the other side i.e. Clinton, was corrupt to the core. There is much that is not in the public domain, unrealistic though that may sound. Very unsavory. Think of the "best" practices of our Indian politicos, something like that
Last edited by ldev on 14 Nov 2016 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Postby sanjaykumar » 14 Nov 2016 23:51

There is potential for this election to generate a reaction that will dwarf Chicago 1968 or Detroit 1967. In the age of twitter, they will find what works for Tahrir Square will work in NYC.

This is a good time to watch that classic film Medium Cool for student activism and the response.

I anticipate heavily armed police on campuses, black people killing bystanders, Latinos raping their way to the Mexican border, Muslims giving a last Allah o Akbar etc etc. And rural whites furthering their intake of alcohol and coke and Fox nooz.

Lions in the street and roaming
Dogs in heat, rabid, foaming
A beast caged in the heart of a city
The body of his mother
Rotting in the summer ground
He fled the town

He went down South and crossed the border
Left chaos and disorder
Back there over his shoulder

Not a pretty picture.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Postby Lalmohan » 14 Nov 2016 23:55

ldev - Clinton may be corrupt to the core, so is trump
trump worked out how to game the system better this time and he got elected to office
for an anti-establishment candidate - he is doing a lot of establishment things now that he's in
doesn't matter
it will all spin around (right round baby) and we will be back where we started from... (except for bannon... I think the deep state may not like him.. or maybe they do?!?!?)
its easy to get sucked into the rhetoric and emotion - need to sometimes keep one's eyes on the horizon
I am not as smart as many on this forum - I rely on their astute analysis to educate me

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 14 Nov 2016 23:56

So far Trump has stood by what he said. He knocked the 16 Republicans like none pins. He then taught Romney how to win.

Its a big mistake to think he is a fool.

And papers in India hardly know what's going on when papers in US are at sea!

Especially Chindu.

BTW Yuan is tanking.

DT first knocked down KSA by defeating Jeb Bush.
Now its PRC after his win.

Gus, DT will do what's right and legal.
Even after being wrong still going strong?

sanjayKumar, Those protests even after a week are sign of organized mass discontent.
They are seeds of color revolution being set in motion.
The prize is the millennial population to feel they were thwarted and create a "new flower" generation.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 14 Nov 2016 23:57

Manas, Thanks for the honest post!!!!

Data shows Florida is due to desis.

Will see. Paarkalam.

ldev
BRF Oldie

Postby ldev » 15 Nov 2016 00:10

Do not underestimate Trump. He has defeated 16 Republican rivals, finished off the Bush family and now the Clinton family political ambitions at least for this generation, fought the Democratic establishment, fought the Republician establishment, fought a hostile mass media, been heavily outspent financially by Clinton (who raised more than $1 billion), all at the same time and all of this on his very first political effort.

I feel that when he assumes office he will cut off the legs of people like Soros trying to organize this color revolution in the US.
Last edited by ldev on 15 Nov 2016 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”