Psy-Ops techniques employed to sucker Indians

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Re: Psy-Ops techniques employed to sucker Indians

Post by Yayavar »

SwamyG wrote:
prahaar wrote:Thanks for the detailed responses, I was mainly taken aback by the "secular festival" term. Ravan being Keralite ;-) is straight from Burkha Bibi's book. My Tamil friend Sriram was fuming when BB claimed that Tamils support Ravana.
Tamilians do not support per se; but do consider his other attributes like Shiva bhakt, great veena player, knowledgeable itiyadi. Just like how tamilians would see the other aspects of Karna.
Not just Tamilians. Before the giant Ravana effigies are burnt people touch Ravana's feet for his great knowledge and being a Shiv bhakta in Dilli RamLila. I've seen women rush forward with babies and make the gesture of the baby paying obeisance to Ravana. Afaik, this is pan-Indian thought.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Shiv - that is also called 'wise China' effect. All deep thinking beyond our comprehension apparently.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Yayavar wrote: Not just Tamilians. Before the giant Ravana effigies are burnt people touch Ravana's feet for his great knowledge and being a Shiv bhakta in Dilli RamLila. I've seen women rush forward with babies and make the gesture of the baby paying obeisance to Ravana. Afaik, this is pan-Indian thought.
May I just interject to say that it goes beyond pan-Indian thought into a fundamental tenet of Indian beliefs. The worst people/demons (in this context Ravana) also get their power from the same God (Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva) and while destroying your enemy - give the God the respect due to God. It is not about "My God is good - Ravanas God is Devil"
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

True, all our Asuras/Rakshasas/Danavas obtained their powers through tapas (underlines, karmic fala cannot be denied, Bholenath is called Bhole but is bound by the same rule). Krishna did not kill anyone for not being his bhakt. OTOH, it is the likes of Hiranyakashipu who espoused the my God is better than your god (tried to kill his son for not following the diktat).
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

It is generally a story of how an average/good man becomes evil, arrogant or an oppressor; and getting punished for his transformation. Usually the devas run to the god who would have given the boon, and the god, like a lawyer, brings out a loophole in the boon that is exploited by another god.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Yayavar wrote: Not just Tamilians. Before the giant Ravana effigies are burnt people touch Ravana's feet for his great knowledge and being a Shiv bhakta in Dilli RamLila. I've seen women rush forward with babies and make the gesture of the baby paying obeisance to Ravana. Afaik, this is pan-Indian thought.
Isn't it the story that Ram asked Laxman to seat by Ravana's feet and learn from him as he was still considered a highly knowlegble Brahmin, for all the bad he did. And so Laxman learned wisdom from Ravan when he was on his deathbed. May be this tradition is continuation of this thing??

Or it could be just the general practice - We touch feet of any dead person as once dead the person is assumed to be absolved of all earthly attachments and beyond sins. So we touch feet, pay respect and take blessings.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

SwamyG wrote:It is generally a story of how an average/good man becomes evil, arrogant or an oppressor; and getting punished for his transformation. Usually the devas run to the god who would have given the boon, and the god, like a lawyer, brings out a loophole in the boon that is exploited by another god.
I think it is not about one becoming "evil" because I think the terms like evil, devil have western/biblical connotations. In case of Ramayana, it is more about one who follows Dharmic principles or not. Ravanan may have followed Dharma but probably slipped on two occasions - 1) Abducting Sita and 2) Refusing to hand her over after her husband arrives. For those reasons (and may be many others that I am missing) he needs to be punished. The same with Vali I think.
JayS wrote: Isn't it the story that Ram asked Laxman to seat by Ravana's feet and learn from him as he was still considered a highly knowlegble Brahmin, for all the bad he did. And so Laxman learned wisdom from Ravan when he was on his deathbed. May be this tradition is continuation of this thing??

Or it could be just the general practice - We touch feet of any dead person as once dead the person is assumed to be absolved of all earthly attachments and beyond sins. So we touch feet, pay respect and take blessings.
The same concept is followed in Mahabharatham also - Where Sahadeva advises Kauravas about the the date of the battle and so on. In fact I was thinking about this very same thing when Doorknob was bashing that Ved Prakash Vaidic for speaking with ha-piss. But this is kali-yugam and those principles and concepts are out of place and practice.
Last edited by GShankar on 18 Oct 2016 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

pankajs wrote:Hope this is not OT. I am halfway through the book. Quite good.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28815.Influence
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini

--------------------------------------------------------->
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29238799-pre-suasion
Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade by Robert B. Cialdini

https://www.theinvestorspodcast.com/rob ... e-suasion/

Good interview. You might enjoy it.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Here is a pre-emptive piece of anti-Hindu (specifically, anti-Hindu-American) psyops from the Hillary Clinton campaign, published in the New York Post:
http://nypost.com/2016/11/02/huma-abedi ... -heritage/

The author whines:
Hillary Clinton’s embattled aide Huma Abedin is again under fire — not over her boss’s private email server, but for her heritage.

The Republican Hindu Coalition is taking aim at Abedin, branding her “pro-terrorist,” and, in a new TV ad targeting Hindu-American voters, questioning her “Pakistani and Saudi background.”
The truly disingenuous piece of psyops here, of course, is to pretend that there is a mutually exclusive dichotomy between targeting Huma Abedin over her "boss' private email server" and her "heritage".

Does Huma Abedin have long-standing ties, including family ties, to Pakistan and Saudi Arabia? Check. Does she have family ties to fundamentalist Islamist organizations, and was she herself the editor of an unabashedly Islamist publication out of Saudi Arabia? Check. Did she lie under oath about turning over all emails in her possession that resided on Clinton's illegal private server? Check. Were some of those emails considered classified or top secret? Check. Could Pakistan and Saudi Arabia benefit from top secret or classified State Dept emails to compromise the security of not just Hindu-Americans, but the United States of America?

Yet, branding Huma as "pro-terrorist" is laid at the Republican Hindu Coalition's doorstep as a sign of their Hindu bigotry against Huma's heritage... as if Republican Hindus have no locus standi to point out the obvious links between Huma and organizations that could take advantage of top secret emails in her custody to threaten American security.

Hindu American voters are thus placed on the defensive. If you respond to the Huma ad by the RHC, you are a bigot, because you're attacking Huma for her heritage; not for compromising US national security. Shut up, drink the kool-aid, and succumb to the Abrahamic Supremacist agenda of the Clinton Rainbow Coalition. Because if you speak up against Huma, it is obvious that you do so as a dirty brown Hindu, not as a concerned American citizen.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The reason I have cross posted this here is to point out that the use of psy-ops is an openly discussed and recognized thing in Pakistan. But in India we rarely recognize this. I have often lamented that Indian press photographers are dumb and do not realize that they should cut out parts of photographs that can catty a negative connotation simply because they do not understand the psy-ops value of images.

But libtards are good at running our own folks down and because most of us do not realize the propaganda value of images, we do not realize it when propaganda images are used against us.
James B wrote:Pakis crying over not taking advantage of Sharbat Gula of NaTGeo fame :rotfl: :rotfl:

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Davide Bonannini8 hours ago
MESSAGE TO INDIA FROM ITALY:
1 - Spend your rupees into giving seats to trains passengers. Travelling onto rooftops is no good.
2 - U suck
Davide Bonannini
Davide Bonannini8 hours ago
3 - U suck
No meaning but other pile on
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Another China guy keeps complaining

Chang Wen Liang
Chang Wen Liang5 days ago
20 satellites MIRV tech supplied by russia which other nations like US, Russia, China had long ago, Mars mission with only orbiter is a mission waste of money, just ask the americans or russians they would have gave the images and video recordings for free. india is just a paper elephant country
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Rudradev wrote: Hindu American voters are thus placed on the defensive. If you respond to the Huma ad by the RHC, you are a bigot, because you're attacking Huma for her heritage; not for compromising US national security. Shut up, drink the kool-aid, and succumb to the Abrahamic Supremacist agenda of the Clinton Rainbow Coalition. Because if you speak up against Huma, it is obvious that you do so as a dirty brown Hindu, not as a concerned American citizen.
But it still does not explain the support on BRF for openly anti India candidates?
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

shiv wrote:The reason I have cross posted this here is to point out that the use of psy-ops is an openly discussed and recognized thing in Pakistan. But in India we rarely recognize this. I have often lamented that Indian press photographers are dumb and do not realize that they should cut out parts of photographs that can catty a negative connotation simply because they do not understand the psy-ops value of images.

But libtards are good at running our own folks down and because most of us do not realize the propaganda value of images, we do not realize it when propaganda images are used against us.
Shows the true meaning of " large hearts of pakis".
Wonder what his libtard Indian friends think of it
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

The most idiotic, neanderthal remarks about India, including about its achievements in space, almost always come from mainland Chinese, like the imbecile who posted that above comment( relayed by S.Vinayak). The one sided, psy-ops oriented, pro-Abrahamic articles from the US and UK media, at least contain some truth, and even a bit of value, loathsome and one-sided as they are. For example, the recent spate of articles on air pollution in New Delhi- they are not lying or grossly misrepresenting on that issue. It's the tone, the intent to focus, the exclusion of other news, that shows their perfidy.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

"Beat me"
https://www.facebook.com/unwomenpakista ... 303123695/

Propaganda video (in English) to portray Pakistan as a liberal moderate nation desperately trying to fight extremists
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

印度只要有種姓制度一天,就不可能成為一個大國強國。只能說是個人口大國而已
not Bad
zeng huang 我觉得还是有可能的,虽然不可能超过中国但也能成为强国。印度还是有很多不错条件的。
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The Quiz linked below is one that tests if you will qualify for US citizenship. I do not live in the US and will never live there but I scored 71% which would be "First Class pass" in many Indian tests. That is the power of American Media over educated English reading Indians. Do try the test yourself if you are not a US citizen

http://www.washingtontimes.com/quiz/201 ... -you-pass/
Rammpal
BRFite

Post by Rammpal »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cross post
shiv wrote:
Sid wrote:Following images lists out all features in ATAGS, including thermal imaging and traverse system.

What is that 3/4 3/4 3/4 business?
ramana wrote:3/4 etc is an artifact of power point conversion. Its a - or a bullet point.
Pretty shoddy - combined with the title "Futuristice Artillery System"

Countries that make their brochures slick and their photographs hide warts and show beauty are the ones that get admired. You can be the most competent person on earth but if what is visible is shoddy - it will always be used as "an extra point" for criticism is something goes wrong - as might happen with any engineering endeavour.

In terms of human perceptions - a fault in something that is otherwise beautiful is a one off aberration. But a fault in something that is ugly is an indicator of overall "badness". This type of PR is something that Indians need to learn
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

shiv wrote: I scored 71% which would be "First Class pass" in many Indian tests.
Reminds me that 71% in the USA would be a C grade or third class pass. Using First Class for low grades is a convenient way to fool gullible students that they learnt something.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vera_k wrote:
shiv wrote: I scored 71% which would be "First Class pass" in many Indian tests.
Reminds me that 71% in the USA would be a C grade or third class pass. Using First Class for low grades is a convenient way to fool gullible students that they learnt something.
:rotfl: For US citizenship 60% (6/10) is pass
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Rammpal wrote:75
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:The most idiotic, neanderthal remarks about India, including about its achievements in space, almost always come from mainland Chinese, like the imbecile who posted that above comment( relayed by S.Vinayak). The one sided, psy-ops oriented, pro-Abrahamic articles from the US and UK media, at least contain some truth, and even a bit of value, loathsome and one-sided as they are. For example, the recent spate of articles on air pollution in New Delhi- they are not lying or grossly misrepresenting on that issue. It's the tone, the intent to focus, the exclusion of other news, that shows their perfidy.
Everyone is not like that in US. I was in Portland, Oregon last week. One of my ex-collegues did ask about Indian space program when she saw Apollo lift off sequence in one of the car advts (which is shown in tv / theaters nowadays). She inquired whether the Indian space program was active and inquired additionally on number of launches per year. Her voice sounded no surprise at my answers. She was perfectly happy to know that my mom / pop was in sp(a)ce dpt. Maybe they are gearing towards oncoming tech threats but anyway that is normal. BTW she is full blooded Clinton supporter, hates Donald. Dont paint people with same brush. There are several shades of gray not just white & black alone

NB: I watched Collateral beauty with her
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

shiv wrote: :rotfl: For US citizenship 60% (6/10) is pass
Correct. 60% is a D, which is a passing grade. 59% is a F or failing grade. I meant the 71% equals First Class comment as a way to point out one common psy-ops in use that then leads to thinking a honest try is excellent work. Maybe inherited from the education system prevalent in 1947, but needs to be retired.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vera_k wrote: Correct. 60% is a D, which is a passing grade. 59% is a F or failing grade. I meant the 71% equals First Class comment as a way to point out one common psy-ops in use that then leads to thinking a honest try is excellent work. Maybe inherited from the education system prevalent in 1947, but needs to be retired.
It also means that 71% is well above the grade to get a United sates citizenship - for a person who has no reason to become a US citizen. The idea that only competence is allowed into the US is exemplified by your post, but that is part of the positive self image that Indians get when they reach the US. Cursing the Indian system helps that self image- but in my view that attitude is usually found among people who failed to make it in India but got success in the US
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

vera_k wrote:
shiv wrote: :rotfl: For US citizenship 60% (6/10) is pass
Correct. 60% is a D, which is a passing grade. 59% is a F or failing grade. I meant the 71% equals First Class comment as a way to point out one common psy-ops in use that then leads to thinking a honest try is excellent work. Maybe inherited from the education system prevalent in 1947, but needs to be retired.
Wouldn't all of this depend on how hard the questions are? you could just as easily conclude from the data that the American system simply throws easy questions and gives people 90% to give them a sense of accomplishment.

... in a thread about PsyOps no less
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

92% psy-ops worked
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

"Everyone is not like that in US. I was in Portland, Oregon last week. One of my ex-collegues did ask about Indian space program when she saw Apollo lift ..."

I presume you are talking about mainland Chinese ? That's the group I was referring to, and they needn't of course be based in the US! Yah, the women tend to be nicer, I remember one praising Indian textile designs, and denouncing her culture(Chinese) for looking down on women. The British and the mainland Chinese generally, tend to make the most sour,obnoxious comments about India. Of course, there are always exceptions.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:"Everyone is not like that in US. I was in Portland, Oregon last week. One of my ex-collegues did ask about Indian space program when she saw Apollo lift ..."

I presume you are talking about mainland Chinese ? That's the group I was referring to, and they needn't of course be based in the US! Yah, the women tend to be nicer, I remember one praising Indian textile designs, and denouncing her culture(Chinese) for looking down on women. The British and the mainland Chinese generally, tend to make the most sour,obnoxious comments about India. Of course, there are always exceptions.
I talked to not chinese, but proper european folks
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

anjan wrote: Wouldn't all of this depend on how hard the questions are? you could just as easily conclude from the data that the American system simply throws easy questions and gives people 90% to give them a sense of accomplishment.

... in a thread about PsyOps no less
No, it would not. It simply means the "hard" is used as an excuse to not teach or learn the subject. In what other endeavor would 70% be considered acceptable?

PsyOps here is being conducted by Indians on Indians, so why not in this thread.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

shiv wrote:It also means that 71% is well above the grade to get a United sates citizenship - for a person who has no reason to become a US citizen. The idea that only competence is allowed into the US is exemplified by your post, but that is part of the positive self image that Indians get when they reach the US. Cursing the Indian system helps that self image- but in my view that attitude is usually found among people who failed to make it in India but got success in the US
That's the nature of tests. If there was a test for Indian citizenship, plenty of non-Indians watching bollywood productions would get the same 71% First Class pass :rotfl: . There's nothing more to be learnt from a test except that the test taker knew more or less of what the test maker thinks provides understanding about the subject.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

vera_k wrote: No, it would not. It simply means the "hard" is used as an excuse to not teach or learn the subject. In what other endeavor would 70% be considered acceptable?

PsyOps here is being conducted by Indians on Indians, so why not in this thread.
What does "70%" mean objectively? It means nothing when you don't know the context to why someone answered 7/10 questions on average correctly. Are the questions the same for the same level of qualifications being attained? Are they graded the same way? How can you possibly compare one person's percentage score to another's without knowing any of this? Yet you're confidently making assertions on whole educational systems in the US and India, neither of them homogeneous.

I'm not even sure why I'm explaining this much to be honest. This is the dumbest "big number good, small number bad" argument I've heard.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vera_k wrote:There's nothing more to be learnt from a test except that the test taker knew more or less of what the test maker thinks provides understanding about the subject.
This is true of all tests. But it is also a diversion from the point I was trying to make. US propaganda on English reading Indians is so effective that people who do not even prepare for citizenship can pass a test that is designed to weed out those unready for US citizenship. The propaganda is that "You cain't get into the US of A unless you do a test and score above a certain grade. The US likes to maintain such amazingly high standards for those who want to be citizens" What is not revealed is that the test itself is pure "naam-ke-waastey" and here you are trying to prove that US grading system is absolutely fantastic and infallible and gets only the most knowledgeable - which I was not even questioning.

In fact this is a huge psy ops effort because all sorts of people who don't give a damn either way know enough to qualify in a US citizenship test - an indicator of the success of US media dominance, not test quality or candidate competence. Some US citizens may get upset and claim otherwise, stating that US tests pick out only the best of the best unlike Indian tests, which seems to be your indignant argument on here but I was not even disputing that in the first place. I haven't figured out why you are doing that, although I think I know. :D
Last edited by shiv on 24 Dec 2016 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

If that really reflects the US citizenship test wow. :lol:
I got 72% after making some tukkabazi and guesses.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^^
Some of those questions in the quiz above are not part of the actual test. Here's the actual 100 questions that they pick from:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/fil ... s/100q.pdf
Also, this part of the test is oral, so you aren't given four options to guess from. Admittedly the list of questions/answers are not too hard to memorize if you spend the time reading up, but I actually know of a couple of people that failed the test. When I took the test, I'm proud to say I got all of them correct (including naming all 13 original states and my house representative -- examiner later admitted to me that he asked me all 10 questions even though I got the first 6 right because he wanted to see if I would miss one). By the way, there are two parts to the citizenship test. The first part is the oral test that I just alluded to above. Then they have an English proficiency test after that, where you read a given sentence and write another one in English. Finish both tests and voila, you pass and have to come back a few weeks later for the swearing in ceremony.

They have exemptions for older people for the # of questions they have to study from. Older people can also use an interpreter for the oral portion of the test + they can get an exemption from the English proficiency part too. There was an elderly Armenian lady in my group who did that. She could understand English perfectly decently, but couldn't read/write in it.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ArmenT wrote:^^^^
Admittedly the list of questions/answers are not too hard to memorize if you spend the time reading up, but I actually know of a couple of people that failed the test. When I took the test, I'm proud to say I got all of them correct (including naming all 13 original states and my house representative -- examiner later admitted to me that he asked me all 10 questions even though I got the first 6 right because he wanted to see if I would miss one). By the way, there are two parts to the citizenship test. The first part is the oral test that I just alluded to above. Then they have an English proficiency test after that, where you read a given sentence and write another one in English. Finish both tests and voila, you pass and have to come back a few weeks later for the swearing in ceremony.
In fact I want to create a similar questionnaire with equivalent questions about India to Indian citizens who are educated and fluent in English and I am certain that those who are honest will score less than they did when the tried the US test. Shows the way we are hammered by the US sourced media which we welcome, embrace and lap up

Say Atlanta and I will say Georgia. But say Rajnandgaon and I will say duh. That is what I mean.

I was at a Surgical conference last week and met a surgeon from Jalor. Guess where Jalor is? I didn't know. Scan the Indian media and they are as dumb as I am. They blurt out place names with no mention of the state. That would help Indians know their own country better than the current state where everyone knows that Austin>Texas
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Swallowing English language media "wisdom" comes naturally to us. This is part of our education that tells us that what we learn is learned from the west

In another example of how we swallow and internalize western memes - about a decade ago this article was discussed with much mirth:

Why Arabs Lose Wars

Nowadays this article does not get seen much - but if we, as desis, look objectively at what is happening in the world "we" and that includes me, have whined and cried about how the west did this that and the other to us.

But guess who actually took the war to the west? It was the towel-head Ay-rabs. It was Ay-rabs that took the twin towers, it was Ay-rabs that funded Wahhabism that is eating up our brothers and US ally Pakistan. And it is the Ay-rabs in Syria. It is the Ay-rabs who have taken the war to Europe

Ultimately it was Ayrab culture that gave rise to and nurtured Islam in its most rabid, racist form. My post will likely come out as an anti-Ayrab, Islamophobe rant. But laughing at Ayrab inability to fight wars is missing the forest for the trees