Be Indian Buy Indian

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
kit
BRF Oldie

Be Indian Buy Indian

Post by kit »

Attack on Uri army camp in India, by Pakistani terrorists.
Response.....
It can be economic blockade.
It can be water stoppage for Sindhu and five rivers of Punjab going into Pakistan, or Surgical strikes inside.

But the big question is.. Can India attack Pakistan this week?

But still.. 69 years of handling of Jammu and Kashmir by India is something we have to look at right now. Can India afford to hit Pakistan where it hurts the most, for Pakistan's obsession with Jihadi terror export all these decades?

It is must deeper than that.. Geo politics!

Pakistan had even offered to give up East Pakistan in 1950s, in return for Jammu and Kashmir on the sidelines of official discussions with India! So definitely it is not religion or Kashmiris.. it is much deeper than that. It was water sources then, but now much more deeper

Yes, water is an issue.

It is China..It is China and CPEC: The "thing" is the CPEC: China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. If you look at it closely suddenly everything falls into place. Kashmir, Balochistan, India's unwillingness to strike, silence of international community, everything else. Pakistan is just a front.

The real sponsor is hiding behind.

Pakistan sponsors terrorism to get Kashmir. It is not that simple. Pakistan kept the Kashmir flame burning until the 1990s to meet their ends, when China conceived the CPEC and decided to take over. A bit on the CPEC as no one seems to have heard about it. China has a huge geographic handicap: no access to southern world oceans.

So Chinese shipments from Europe, Middle East, Africa have to travel all the way around India, Malacca and ASEAN. China has serious problems with most countries in that region due to its aggressive military posture
Why Pakistan is so important for Chinese economy? What if China could get a route through Pakistan to access the Arabian Sea? That, is the CPEC. A corridor of highways and railways will run from Kashgar in China to Gwadar in Pakistan (Baluchistan) on the Arabian sea near Iran border. And ALL the infrastructure and associated stuff for CPEC will be constructed for Pakistan by China, free or cost or for negligible loans.

What is CPEC?Four Six-lane Expressways from north to south Pakistan, four different routes. All main railway lines being upgraded to 160 kph double. A six to eight lane super expressway Karachi to Gwadar and Hyderabad Innumerable coal, thermal, solar and hydro power plants all across Pakistan. All of Gwadar, including a mega international airport! Then Hospitals, schools, colleges, tech institutes, even a Metro line in Lahore!

But why is Jammu and Kashmir involved here? Now, on the Karakoram highway, this is where it matters most for India. It connects China and Pakistan, though India! Through Jammu and Kashmir, which legally acceded to India in 1947 October. Gilgit Baltistan area of Jammu and Kashmir state, which legally belongs to India, but illegally occupied by Pakistan. Keep in mind, China also occupies illegally the eastern and northern part of Jammu and Kashmir - Shaksgam valley (gifted by Pakistan in 1960s) and Aksai Chin (occupied by China in 1950s when it annexed Tibet).
The highway passes through Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan Occupied Kashmir. Pakistan and China are connected through Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK for short). Pakistan calls this Gilgit-Baltistan area of Jammu and Kashmir, as Northern Territories sometimes.
A high-capacity highway across the Himalayas!

Now, though the CPEC is a recent thing, the idea had taken birth long back. The Karakoram highway started building in 1959, opened in 1979! Possibly Pakistan had refused China access to Gwadar then as they could. But now they have no other choice but hand over to China.

Why CPEC? ....OIL: Gwadar is just 400 km away from Muscat and 500 from the Strait of Hormuz through which all Gulf oil passes. 12 hours at sea! Proximity to Africa: China virtually owns much of Africa today. Billions in investment, buys natural resources. Nothing better than this. Pakistan as a market: China will flood Pakistan and Gulf with its cheap products and make a windfall there too. Proximity to new friend Sri Lanka.If USA/UK (control Malacca strait - Singapore) or India in Indian ocean decide to choke it, China will have no problem as it has CPEC.

But, all of CPEC and China's ambitions bearing fruit depends on the Karakoram highway. That depends on PoK continued to be occupied by Pakistan.

Money Involved: With the CPEC, China has sunk close to 50 BILLION Dollars in Pakistan. Of course, China gets free access to all this infrastructure in Pakistan. With this, 20% of Pakistan's GDP is now Chinese. China has Pakistan now firmly by the b***s, so much so that Pakistan can now be China's 24th province. With so much invested and at stake, China wouldn't even think twice about ruthlessly suppressing any attack on Pakistan, because they own it now.

Doesn't India know all this? Pakistan is small fry. China is not.

Who would side with India? Mostly nobody. Why? Because China is involved. How international geopolitics work, most don't get that either. USA wants to support us because China makes it nervous. But US corporations are over invested in China, so Uncle Sam will look the other way. Russia - Don't even think about it. Putin has enough troubles at home, and India's pandering to Obama hasn't got him amused. Europe will sit just and watch (because China), and all of the Middle East will (clandestinely) support Pakistan for obvious reasons (Islam).
International friendships are always based on "how can I benefit by allying", "what terrible can this guy do to me if I don't ally".

So, India will left out cold if it were to as much as touch Pakistan. We will mostly have to take on BOTH Pakistan and China. Mostly. Can India take on both Pakistan and China alone? From two (or three) flanks? We are surrounded by China's friends. What do we do? Dunno.

A bit more on the Karakoram highway: 1962, remember? What if the Chinese were testing the Indian waters before building the highway? China could've walked through India. Still, they withdrew. They were only testing India's resolve to defend PoK if it came to that. We have all but written off PoK.

Here is the Khunjerab Pass (PoK): the "top" of India, the border between India and China, but now Pakistan.

A sign in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir -
Here is the Karakoram highway near Gilgit in India (PoK) and under construction somewhere in the mountains. It should be obvious by now that China does NOT want India to reclaim its land lost to Pakistan in 1947 and 1948 - the strategic Karakoram ranges in Gilgit-Baltistan area of Jammu and Kashmir. It is as simply as that!
China owns Pakistan for most part today: CPEC and all associated stuff are called "China-Pakistan Friendship" something or the other. No friendship there. Just Chinese business. China is not doing business with Pakistan. It is running its business in Pakistan. It is running Pakistan. China pays for protection. If things get push to shove, China can tell US: "We will nationalize your businesses if you don't tell India to withdraw". What will we do?

What we should first realize is that there is no Pakistan. There is only China. Pakistan is just a front. We should deal accordingly. It is in China's interest to keep Kashmir burning. If there is peace in the valley, India MIGHT set its eyes on PoK. Chinese know that India has a strong Prime Minister today who can think of that. China does not want India to even think of getting PoK back. Of course, China did not light the Kashmir fire, but it certainly looks like it is them who keeps it burning that no consensus is reached. So, in addition to water, religion, ego, demographics and so on there is one more reason behind the Kashmir unrest: China and CPEC.

Is dialogue with Pakistan sensible? It is utter foolishness to think that in such a case we can resolve this through dialogue! We talk one thing while issue is another! Issue is NOT what we think is the issue! We and our govt should first understand this. I am sure they have. Hopefully they aren't helpless. China is waging a proxy-proxy-deceptive war which we cannot understand or prove or blame. We need to mobilize some other way.
Baluchistan's role: Why Pakistan got all worked up when India raised Balochistan? Gwadar is in Balochistan. Much of CPEC infra passes through Balochistan. The CPEC is China's hope at lifting its sagging economy and securing its strategic position in the region. Its future maybe depends on it. Karakoram- Hindukush- Pamir region since ancient times been strategically sensitive. The Silk Road. China wants control of the new Silk Road. If India were to take PoK we would squeeze the Karakoram Highway shut. No more CPEC, Silk Road. China done for. That is the whole game. Highways are primary military conduits rather than civilian. Whoever controls the highway controls the region.

Ultimately.. Pakistan's ultimate aim is to establish an Islamic caliphate. Apart from this China helps them through CPEC. You might disagree with Modi et al but please support the govt right now in whatever action it takes. Politicking can wait. Wait two more months before taking any harsh decisions. Things might change post November.

What do you think India should do now, after reading this fully?

Must read..Must share..
Today China is the under the threat of economical slump. So china has devaluated its currency by 30%. According to the global economists, China will face economical slowdown by decreasing the prices of products by its domestic industries . so Chinese products will be available at very cheaper rate in Indian and other markets.
But this is time to weaken Chinese economy, which we can do. Coz India is the biggest market for the China across the globe. China is making a business of 6.2 million crore of Indian rupees per annum from Indian market.
And as we know China is claiming Indian territory and acquiring border areas,It seems that China is always in war stance with India. Also China is supporting Pakistan openly to counter India to become a sub-continental leader.
Hence this is the time to crush Chinese economy, hence I am requesting each and every Indian not to buy any Chinese product for upcoming one month at least. It will be great if you will not buy product ever which is Made in China.Even here to make an appeal to all Indian Merchants and retailers that plz do not deal in Chinese products for upcoming one month as those products are going to be more cheaper.
This is the time to slap china and to become A Patriotic Indian. Lets do it for Nation.
Guys,. We are sharing tonnes of useless whatsapp messages daily. Spread this message as much as you can.We should avail each n every chance to counter against the powerful enemy like China.
As the responsible citizen of The Republic of India, I am requesting you to make this message viral. Do not miss a single contact from your phone book.
Your deed of not buying Chinese products and to tell the same to others is equally important to the Nation as the service by An Indian Soldier on our borders!
|| Jai Hind ||
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Re: Be Indian Buy Indian

Post by svinayak »

Thanks for posting this

This has been my discussion for several weeks now.

Check the below. Other countries dont discuss like this. They know instictivly.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-damag ... ign-brands
What is the damage caused to India's economy when Indians buy goods of foreign brands?
I recently got a WhatsApp message which said that all Indians should switch to Indian brands and that if all Indians switch to buying products from Indian brands rather than buying foreign brands India will become the second richest country in the world.

I wanted to know how true is this and what is the damage caused by doing so to the Indian Economy?

https://www.quora.com/Does-buying-goods ... an-economy
https://www.quora.com/How-would-buying- ... an-economy
https://www.quora.com/What-happens-if-a ... n-products
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I am using Patanjali, Dabur, Nirma products where ever available. Voltas for AC and Indian furniture instead of Chinese but Indian manufacturing is getting massacred by imports.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Gyan, good to hear- about using Indian products where available/possible. Do you know of others who do this, and as or more successfully than yourself? India can legitimately cite hostile political actions by China, to restrict or ban Chinese products.

Incidentally, when I was in India in Feb 2012, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of items that are manufactured in India, and used by peple. Fans, light bulbs, airconditioners, carpets/rugs, bathroom fixtures, furniture, glassware, kitchenware, even lamps.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I use a lot of Indian items, mostly because I believe that my health is better served by using products of my ancestors.

Incidentally, this thread does support Trump's belief in protected trade.

However, what do you guys think of its impact on FDI/MII? Just curious. My thinking: MII is pretty much out with protecting trade. Will anyone be bold enough to invest in India if there is protected trade?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

On the same coin ..that's the response by Modi. .you want the Indian market ?....make in India ..it's a large enough market to make everything under the sun
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Deleted
Last edited by Gyan on 03 Oct 2016 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Gyan wrote:
Varoon Shekhar wrote:Gyan, good to hear- about using Indian products where available/possible. Do you know of others who do this, and as or more successfully than yourself? India can legitimately cite hostile political actions by China, to restrict or ban Chinese products.

Incidentally, when I was in India in Feb 2012, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of items that are manufactured in India, and used by peple. Fans, light bulbs, airconditioners, carpets/rugs, bathroom fixtures, furniture, glassware, kitchenware, even lamps.

Unfortunately most of these products are now Chinese and even well established Indian brands do not manufacture anything, they just import from China. Due to pro China duty structure and massive smuggling, Indian manufacturing of consumer goods is going the DODO way.
This is not something that cannot be reversed. Wages in India esp in semi skilled areas are less than china's .Policy changes and import tariffs must come vs China.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Demographic profile of India is much better in India compared to China ..with the right policies all the working population can be more productive
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

The right enablers ..high speed Internet ; good infrastructure roads rails and ports .. build up for tomorrow ...Envision twice the commerce and industrial activity ..inland water ways for cheap connectivity and tourism . Unified tax code and enable cheap container traffic to the Europe west Asia Africa and the Americas .
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

NRao wrote:I use a lot of Indian items, mostly because I believe that my health is better served by using products of my ancestors.

Incidentally, this thread does support Trump's belief in protected trade.

However, what do you guys think of its impact on FDI/MII? Just curious. My thinking: MII is pretty much out with protecting trade. Will anyone be bold enough to invest in India if there is protected trade?
A very valid argument. I think the subtle difference why Modi gave "Make in India" and not "Made in India" tells you a lot about the reasoning. First and foremost, the most important short term goal was to reduce imports (e.g. electronic which was expected to surpass oil by 2020 or so) and plug the wealth exodus happening due to trade imbalance. We do not have right base for rapid industrialisation - lack of infrastructure, lack of technology, lack of skilled workers and lack of capital. So the easiest way to achieve this most important short term goal is to bring in the manufacturing of the goods which is being sold in India as a first step. (We can also leverage our low costs to make it attractive for MNCs to manufacture for Export from India as an extension to this later - same as what happened in Auto industry). This forced Modi to first make the structural changes to facilitate the manufacturing in India for domestic consumption as a priority by the existing brands/companies.

Second, its not in India's favour right now to be seen as protectionist government, that would hamper capital inflow and reciprocal protectionist measures from other countries. It was important to maintain business friendly image.

Third, government cannot directly become protectionist in this era of globalisation. If GOI puts anti-dumping duties or higher import duties then we can attract litigations in WTO and what not. We need to comply with the trade treaties.

Fourth, Make in India helps Modi to achieve some social goals like employment in shorter span. Good for Elections.

I think Made in India will follow once we garner enough base under Make in India. GOI needs to subtly move policy from Make in India towards Made in India where domestic companies will be given preference. I think the structural changes happening such as MUDRA, Skill India, Land Acquisition Bill, Quashing of useless laws and reduced red-tapism etc etc will all pave way for Made in India after a decade of so if we play our cards right.

But the biggest push for "Be Indian, Buy Indian" needs to be from "People". I see people on twitter asking why GOI not banning Chinese good. But they themselves would not stop buying Chinese good. Come next LeEco cheap phone they will make beeline to buy it. If people put emphasize on Made In India tag, even desi companies who are importing readymade stuff from China, will be forced to being manufacturing in India. GoI has its own limitations, people of India do not. Without active support from people "Be Indian, Buy Indian" is just slogan.

Its not that difficult to do it. There's option available always. Yes, you have to compromise on certain quality issues but if you can do it, its a great help for the nation building.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

deleted
Last edited by Gyan on 03 Oct 2016 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

India can ill afford to have administrations that have differing levels of governance ,..only sustained policy changes , an advantage china has can bring about nation building .. @gyan PMO is receptive to ideas even anonymously ..sound through suggestions
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

it is electronics that you find Chinese components in india made equipment ..this has to change . the next is related to steel products
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Unless we have semi conductor manufacturing technology within the country, there is not much hope of achieving long term goal of 'Make in India'.
Semi conductor manufacturing, failure analysis etc. is very expensive. I see no progress on this front from the GOI. China already has pirated the tech from USA and is now beating US in that game too.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

panduranghari wrote:Unless we have semi conductor manufacturing technology within the country, there is not much hope of achieving long term goal of 'Make in India'.
Semi conductor manufacturing, failure analysis etc. is very expensive. I see no progress on this front from the GOI. China already has pirated the tech from USA and is now beating US in that game too.
the government can directly assist the pvt sector in semi conductor manufacturing .. progress will seen be evident
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

http://apekmulay.com/book-trailer

This might be interesting.
venug
BRFite

Post by venug »

Guys living is US and elsewhere:
Is there a way we can ask Patel Brothers not to sell Pakistani products?
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

business is business - asking a shop owner not to sell a product will have less affect when asked nicely. However driving business of india-made products could sideline the paki-made, pari-owned-business-supplied products.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

All of us should start increasing consumption of Indian products where ever reasonably possible. Make a start. Start with fast moving consumer items like Patanjali, Dabur, Baidyanath. Then move to fridge, AC, auto parts etc.

Where ever possible hire Indians, give contracts to Indian companies etc.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Gyan saar,
We need to withdraw from WTO for this. Making noise about joining TPP or RCEP while simultaneously withdrawing from WTO, will act like a good enough distraction. US has put a lot into TPP and Chinese in RCEP. Both need us. We should never join either.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Good to see this td.I've been advocating this for over a decade.When the US imposed sanctions after P-2,we put the scare on a US MNC with a threat to boycott one of its popular products.Boycotting Chinese goods should be made second nature to Indians.I can't understand why supposed "patriotic forces" in the country,more worried about "dance bars",women's "dress codes",etc. have done b*gger all in enforcing a boycott of Chinese goods when it is so inimical to India,now about to cut off supply of Bputra waters,etc. The media reported today that our over-reliance on Chinese bulk drugs was a national crisis.The NSA had reportedly drawn attention to this serious situ some time ago but nothing has been done thus far.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Next time any of us go to a shop for something .. ask for something you would be thinking of buying .. check around ..specifically ask the shopkeeper/retailer/assistant if he could suggest an alternative made in India if it is not there .. most retailers have feed back mechanisms.. the more people ask for things ..name them specifically .. the more they are going to stock them .. Remember this is a market driven economy based on demand .. EVEN IF YOU DONT BUY GUYS KEEP ASKING EVERYWHERE . a good point to say i dont want anything made in China ..For window shoppers this is a good exercise !! .. Jai Hind !
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

I very strongly believe there is a strong demand in India for most consumer Goods including electronics .. that itself is enough even if we dont export ( which eventually we will since it will be cheaper and qualitatively better than Chinese robotic manufacture ..yes that is their next level.. hand made stuff like German is qualitatively better and more expensive.. India should go for cheap but high quality manufacture).. make in india should be the priority .. we are doing this for our children and grand children
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

We must substitute and stop import of China made consumer goods .. must be a priority ..and quite doable
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

a lot of Americans do not buy Chinese if they can find alternatives but made in India has a good reputation ..just check Amazon
SSharma
BRFite

Post by SSharma »

come diwali, chinese patake will be selling like hot cakes again. no worries.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

venug wrote:Guys living is US and elsewhere:
get a hundred people to go to their stores randomly and ask them for those alternatives India made .. say you dont want anything from pakistan .. the more the merrier ! ..shop keepers care for profit and look for demand ..hit them there !!
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

SSharma wrote:come diwali, chinese patake will be selling like hot cakes again. no worries.
do not get into that .. everything starts small .. a small snowball from a mountain top is enough to blast through any Chinese juggernaut !.. try do your little bit ..it will happen Guys
venug
BRFite

Post by venug »

kit wrote:
venug wrote:Guys living is US and elsewhere:
get a hundred people to go to their stores randomly and ask them for those alternatives India made .. say you dont want anything from pakistan .. the more the merrier ! ..shop keepers care for profit and look for demand ..hit them there !!

I will go to local Patel brothers and see if I can talk to them, and will post a poster outside for everyone to see, not sure if the management will allow that, but will try.

Indian alternatives are already there sir, like the masala, biryani stuff, not sure why Patel Bros should even carry Paki stuff.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

I've thought about this for long. Indian government should also help Indian companies just as US govt does. For ex, Onida made best TVs. People used to say Sony for the picture and Onida for the audio. Typical India, rugged and reliable. If govt helps by injecting some money for RnD etc, we can try to create India's own LG or Sony. We have so many good colleges churning out good electronics and electrical engineers. Someone with good contacts can try to give this suggestion to the govt.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

SSharma wrote:come diwali, chinese patake will be selling like hot cakes again. no worries.
let's do what we can. Every little helps.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Guys, Try to avoid buying Chinese Junk for Diwali Gifts. Go for Indian stuff.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

panduranghari wrote:Gyan saar,
We need to withdraw from WTO for this. Making noise about joining TPP or RCEP while simultaneously withdrawing from WTO, will act like a good enough distraction. US has put a lot into TPP and Chinese in RCEP. Both need us. We should never join either.
WTO Has ample provisions to take action against Chinese goods while remaining within the treaty.
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

venug wrote:
kit wrote:

I will go to local Patel brothers and see if I can talk to them, and will post a poster outside for everyone to see, not sure if the management will allow that, but will try.

Indian alternatives are already there sir, like the masala, biryani stuff, not sure why Patel Bros should even carry Paki stuff.
Great idea, I have been avoiding Porkistani stuff for quite some time now, starting from rooh-afzhah, the problem with chinese stuff is it is so pervasive. In US almost everything I find is Chinese, same in India.
Neverthless, we have to make a start somewhere, anywhere, and everywhere.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

We need a strong social media campaign and use of the telecom networks.Those in these disciplines must network achieve this goal.Whenever you are in the co. of friends,srtrangers,open the topic.

The patriotic and nationalist organisations should
also take the lead.How can Indians place religious icons in their homes made en masse by "godless" manufacturers?

Stickers for cars ,leaflets,posters,etc are another way to go forward,but using social media is the most penetrative and sms messages sent to mobile phones.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

There should be a Made in India logo like an ashoka chakra just like the green and brown veg nonveg dot. This should be allowed only for indian prodcts with stringent punishment of violated.If that is done it becomes easier for consumers to identify a Made in India product. Incidentally I buy Khadhi shirts now exclusively every Octtober when there is a good discount. Those cotton shirts in Gandhi Bhavan in Bangalroe are excellent and I enjoy wearig them especially in searing hot summer.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

https://twitter.com/Prasannasimha/statu ... 3907637252

Tweeted to Narendra Modi

Please start a Made in India dot-can be a small blue Ashoka Chakra that can help consumers choose Indian products Like green dot for veg
ranjan.rao
BRFite

QQ

Post by ranjan.rao »

Was wondering if there is any phone not made in China? Quick googleshwara fetches only HTC. :(