Be Indian Buy Indian

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Re: Be Indian Buy Indian

Post by Philip »

Get the "Boycott China" campaign moving regularly,by word of mouth and using smart phones/social media.The sh*twoorms need to be taught a permanent lesson.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Are there any smartphone or computer brands which have significant Indian and non Chinese components?
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Aditya_V wrote:Are there any smartphone or computer brands which have significant Indian and non Chinese components?
This will create a production for Made in India phone
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Some people expect first there will be large scale availability of desi alternatives at prices cheaper than Chinese crap and then they will think about boycotting Chini maal. According to them all that Indians care about is Price. And also why should they suppress their "desires" to have better at less cost for this cause?? And this coming from so called educated folks.

How and when our country will be spared of such selfish and parochial folks??
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Samsung? LG?
Gyan
BRFite

Re: QQ

Post by Gyan »

ranjan.rao wrote:Was wondering if there is any phone not made in China? Quick googleshwara fetches only HTC. :(
Samsung, LG?
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

prasannasimha wrote:https://twitter.com/Prasannasimha/statu ... 3907637252

Tweeted to Narendra Modi

Please start a Made in India dot-can be a small blue Ashoka Chakra that can help consumers choose Indian products Like green dot for veg

I retweete and favourited yr tweet to spread the message
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Local Tamil paper reported that shops are reporting a drop in purchase of Chinese goods. No numbers quoted.
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

^^^I heard news items of 20% drop, while it may be exaggerated...but still we have to make a start..at least for luxury items and new ones.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Me and my friends giving Diwali gifts have boycotted cheap Chinese electronics. We are giving shawls, suits, mithais, even liquor etc. No Chinese lights or crackers. Even if we prevent one dollar reaching China, we are making effort.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Good Animation at the end :mrgreen:

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Great campaign! Guys,tell everyone you meet,colleagues,employees,friends,neighbours,etc.,to boycoitt Chinese goods and buy Indian goods first
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: QQ

Post by jamwal »

ranjan.rao wrote:Was wondering if there is any phone not made in China? Quick googleshwara fetches only HTC. :(
Samsung, Nokia, HTC, Asus, MSI, Micromax, Apple, Nexus.

You don't have to buy not-made-in-china. Just buy stuff from non-chinese companies.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 933030.cms

This is our chance . Do our bit for Be Indian Buy Indian.. each and every one of us counts .. lets do our bit for our country ! Jai Hind !!

Our efforts will be sustained and we will reach our goal
.. No less than to make India the biggest economy in the world
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

This was posted at RundeeTV. Posting article in full...

India Can Only 'Bark', Their Products Can't Compete: Chinese State Media
BEIJING: The call for boycott of Chinese goods on Indian social media is "rabble rousing" as Indian products cannot compete with those of China, the state-owned media said on Wednesday.

In an acerbic op-ed, state-run Global Times says New Delhi can only "bark" and do nothing about the growing trade deficit between two countries.

China's continued opposition to India's effort to declare Pakistan-based terrorists as international terrorists has angered many Indians who have called for a boycott of Chinese products.

It described Prime Minster Narendra Modi's pet project "Make in India" as "impractical".

The daily warned Chinese companies not to invest in India as it would be "suicidal" to put money in a country where corruption is high and the workforce is not hard working.

"There has been a lot of talk recently in the Indian media as well as on social media about boycotting Chinese products. It's just rabble rousing," it said.

"Indian manufacturing cannot compete at all with Chinese products, for various reasons."

The daily said that India was to yet build roads and highways and had chronic shortage of power and water supply.

"Worst of all, corruption is highly prevalent from top to bottom in every single government department."

It slammed India for courting the US.

"The US is no one's friend. The Americans are just indulging India in order to contain China, as the US is jealous of China's development and global power.

"India has enough money but the majority of it is concentrated with politicians, bureaucrats and a few crony capitalists. Indian elites don't want to spend funds available in the country, which in reality is the taxpayers' money but is utilized by the Indian establishment for its own personal consumption.

"Because of this, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has started impractical schemes like 'Make in India'. The reason is that the Indian establishment wants foreign companies to invest in the country.

"It would be completely suicidal for Chinese companies to put their money in India by starting manufacturing projects there. The labour class in India is not very hard working or efficient," it argued.

The daily said that instead of opening shops in India, Chinese companies should set up their manufacturing units in China.

The world's third-largest smartphone maker, Huawei, opened its manufacturing unit in India last month.

"In any case, Indian businessmen flock to China in large numbers to buy products from China and sell them in India. This model suits China, so why disturb it by going and wasting money setting up manufacturing facilities in India?

"Let the Indian authorities bark about the growing trade deficit with China. The fact of the matter is they cannot do anything about it."
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Due to shady activities of Chinese Authorities, lots of Chinese imports are under invoiced by upto 10 times, saving on customs, excise, sales tax duties while screwing the Indian Manufacturer. If MODI appoints a few dozen honest customs officers to vet Chinese imports, it will benefit the nation immensely.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Gyan wrote:Due to shady activities of Chinese Authorities, lots of Chinese imports are under invoiced by upto 10 times, saving on customs, excise, sales tax duties while screwing the Indian Manufacturer. If MODI appoints a few dozen honest customs officers to vet Chinese imports, it will benefit the nation immensely.
That seems to be a good option for GOI to improve its tax collection ! .. Taxation at shipment import @ point of entry for Chinese consumer goods if they they are found to be more than market value that can be pegged to sites like Ali Baba . Hold those who are responsible for pricing @ customs accountable. China cannot complain about this as well .Make the whole process online and open
Magi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Magi »

It is very clear that the government cannot impose a total ban on goods made in china due to WTO rules. It is the citizens who need to boycott it.
The government can facilitate it by making it mandatory for online shopping portals and outer packaging to prominently display two information, 1. Manufacturing/assembling country 2. Country of parent brand. These two information information will greatly help in people making an informed decision. For example, the Xiaomi phones are a Chinese brand but they are made in India (in Andhra pradesh), whereas Lenovo is a Chinese brand and made in china, Intex smartphones are an Indian brand, but made in China (most i had seen).
I did post a suggestion to PMO website to make it mandatory to provide these two details. These details are very difficult to find without google search or customer reviews.

I recently purchased a Swipe Elite Plus smartphone after doing a lot of research, and keeping in mind to avoid Chinese brands.
Below is a list of Indian smartphone brands i found
1. Swipe brand (Made in India near Noida)
2. Micromax
3. Intex
4. Yu (Micromax)
5. Lava
6. Karbonn
7. Xolo
8. Creo
9. LYF (Made in China)
10. Spice
11. Videocon
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Guys a good initiative. It is an idea who's time has come. I have been pushing for the same for some time in my friend circle and family.
parashara
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parashara »

I have worked in the chip industry and I understand a bit about ODMs (Original Device Manufacturing) and CMs (contract manufacturing).

So I would like to put forward my 2 paise here:

Successfully building a high volume, consumer product like a phone is heavily dependent on the richness of the component supplier ecosystem and your leverage in it to negotiate pricing. In both of these areas we cannot hold a candle before china.

This is mainly because of our lost decades (1970 - 2000). And when we finally awoke, we tended to focus on software. Ergo, India has a nearly non-existent component ecosystem. We literally can't make even a resistor - what to talk of ICs or displays. Further, we don't have expertise in Injection Moulded Plastic. We are great in sheet metal, though.

So this list of made in India phones are actually *assembled* in India... With kits imported from China. When I say kits - I mean EVERYTHING. Including the IPM casing.

Net net, Buying a micromax or videocon phone is not going to hurt china at all. Quite the opposite actually.

I think the real place to put pressure on china is FMCG, apparel and other zero-tech areas like durable household goods etc..
At my home, we are sourcing FMCG entirely from Patanjali... We never buy china stationery goods for the kids, No china made toys. We eat/drink in steel (ensuring the source as indian stainless) or copper. And we very rarely shop online for plastics.

The other area is capital goods - and this is where we have to slowly ease out of chinese stuff. I am not the expert here - but there should be a way.
Magi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Magi »

parashara wrote:I have worked in the chip industry and I understand a bit about ODMs (Original Device Manufacturing) and CMs (contract manufacturing).

So this list of made in India phones are actually *assembled* in India... With kits imported from China. When I say kits - I mean EVERYTHING. Including the IPM casing.

Net net, Buying a micromax or videocon phone is not going to hurt china at all. Quite the opposite actually.
Kindly explain how it is going to do "quite the opposite actually".
Isn't it better that these are atleast assembled in India? Even though we may not be making all the components, at least we are grabbing the assembling job from the chinese. Actually the boycott is all about grabbing their jobs, reducing their export to India, which will hurt them economically and increase unemployment.

If we have assembly lines in India, slowly component manufacturers will start coming up. I have seen it happen around Chennai, once the car makers started their assembly lines. The component makers also came along with them. Now there is a complete eco system for car makers in and around Chennai.

We cannot achieve 100% boycott Made in china instantly. The starting point is start buying items with more Indian content.
In my opinion, the priority for boycott goes this way
chinese brand-Made in china > Foreign brand-Made in china > Indian brand-Made in china >= china brand-made in India > Indian brand-Made in India
parashara
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parashara »

Sorry - I wasn't being clear in my message. Let me elucidate.

I am not at all arguing against the benefits of setting up CM in India - though I think your comparison with the auto industry isn't really correct.

What I meant to say was that assembly line entities who trade kits in from shenzhen and then do price reduction deals with flipkart type online retailers aren't hurting china. IMO, tiger global type investors bankrolled indian online retail for precisely this reason. This sort of cosy arrangement isn't going to kickstart a hugely capital intensive industry like component manufacturing.

All I am saying is that folks shouldn't buy assembled phones thinking they are socking one to china.

All your other points about job creation etc are correct.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I went to an eminent mall in the city to purchase some sports & other items. In every shop, I asked if the goods were made in China. Surprisngly, in many shops they were emphatic that they do not sell any Chinese products. Very gratified by that response. In the other shops, I told them the reasons that Chinese products need to be boycotted.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

kit wrote:
Gyan wrote:Due to shady activities of Chinese Authorities, lots of Chinese imports are under invoiced by upto 10 times, saving on customs, excise, sales tax duties while screwing the Indian Manufacturer. If MODI appoints a few dozen honest customs officers to vet Chinese imports, it will benefit the nation immensely.
That seems to be a good option for GOI to improve its tax collection ! .. Taxation at shipment import @ point of entry for Chinese consumer goods if they they are found to be more than market value that can be pegged to sites like Ali Baba . Hold those who are responsible for pricing @ customs accountable. China cannot complain about this as well .Make the whole process online and open
There are rumours of agents who do door to door delivery from China to india at their own risk by 10 times under invoicing. The whole chain of Govt employees are involved with such gangs. The, in you face arrogance, of Chinese is due to their having bought out bureaucrats and politicians by hundreds in UPA era. I don't think MODI can get genuine advice from his bureaucracy regarding china as most of them are subverted.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

IT IS INCORRECT that WTO coes not allow banning of Chinese goods. We can do that under National Security provisions. We can also raise customs duty till 40% and also play around with Anti dumping, safeguard duties, licensing, inspections, govt contracts etc. All permissible under WTO.

But look at the benefits given to Chinese Telecom and Chinese power equipment at the expense of destroying and damaging Indian companies is well documented. China did not allow even a minor take over of non Chinese company in China by Apollo and we are selling them family silver.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

SSridhar wrote:I went to an eminent mall in the city to purchase some sports & other items. In every shop, I asked if the goods were made in China. Surprisngly, in many shops they were emphatic that they do not sell any Chinese products. Very gratified by that response. In the other shops, I told them the reasons that Chinese products need to be boycotted.
you may now refer to the barcode. Remember if the first 3 digits are in the range 690-695, then it is Made in China .

00 ~ 13 USA & CANADA

30 ~ 37 FRANCE

40 ~ 44 GERMANY

49 ~ JAPAN

50 ~ UK

keep this in mind " The company pre-fix doesn’t identify a product’s country of origin. It identifies the origin of the company that made the product. That means if you buy a product with a U.S. company prefix (1-19, 30-39 or 60-139), there’s a chance that the product was manufactured outside the U.S., and possibly in China."
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

SSridhar wrote:I went to an eminent mall in the city to purchase some sports & other items. In every shop, I asked if the goods were made in China. Surprisngly, in many shops they were emphatic that they do not sell any Chinese products. Very gratified by that response. In the other shops, I told them the reasons that Chinese products need to be boycotted.
I make sure never to buy made-in-china sports goods for my son. Or any made-in-china toys or school stationaries. I check the made-in-India label before buying his clothes.
Personal care and Food related FMCG - all made in India.
I also make sure any household goods I buy - plastics containers, steel utensils - are all made in India. Lots of good-looking options available, even for plastics. I use a lot of Indian handicrafts for daily use purpose around the house.

My clothes are mostly Indian-wear. I buy handloom style stuff, so there is no question of Chini infestation there. Same with home furnishing.

We are not big consumers of mobiles and electronics. Still, it would be good to get a list of which ones are better than the others in this aspect.

I am looking forward to more ideas here.
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

parashara wrote:
though I think your comparison with the auto industry isn't really correct.
Parashar ji

how do we develop this eco system for electronics? Electronics are soon going to overtake Oil as the biggest import.

we tried a few things but the results are not therehttp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 375207.cms

i found this on the NITI Ayog website it is from May 2016.

http://niti.gov.in/writereaddata/files/ ... lation.pdf

pages 10 - 14 speak about our stratergy.

PS: edited typos.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Once MNC s and retailers like Amazon start production in India a lot of ancilliary industries will develop .. demand and growth are so linked .. a stable NDA government can prevent the trap of China getting India into some kind of free trade agreement linking groups of countries
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

Eh, I've seen these type of boycott stuff everywhere, from China's boycott Japan to Americans calling for boycott China. It really works when you have economic alternatives, because the international supply chain is too complicated for the average consumer and these boycott calls inevitably run out of steam.

I mean, seriously, how many average consumers will go the length of specifically buying only steel chairs made in India, for example? And how much is that gonna hurt trade with China?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

DavidD wrote:Eh, I've seen these type of boycott stuff everywhere, from China's boycott Japan to Americans calling for boycott China. It really works when you have economic alternatives, because the international supply chain is too complicated for the average consumer and these boycott calls inevitably run out of steam.

I mean, seriously, how many average consumers will go the length of specifically buying only steel chairs made in India, for example? And how much is that gonna hurt trade with China?
india is and will be an alternative to chinas low cost labour ..there are millions below poverty line in india .. dont you think indians esp the middle class can do at least so much as to find alternatives ??

Trust me ..it will happen ..maybe not overnight ..but happen it will be ( as Yoda might say :) )
DavidD
BRFite

Post by DavidD »

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that you don't need to consciously make it happen. When the viable domestic alternatives arrive, it'll naturally happen. Look at China, there is no boycott whatever going on right now, but consumers are naturally starting to buy more Chinese products now. The iPhone has a relatively small market share over there, for example, without any boycott America or boycott Apple movement.
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

DavidD wrote:I mean, seriously, how many average consumers will go the length of specifically buying only steel chairs made in India, for example? And how much is that gonna hurt trade with China?
1. Conscious consumers like us can start making a difference.
2. Buy Indian yourself and politely let the shop-keeper know, preferably in the presence of other customers, that you do not buy chini goods.
3. Most of our food and beverage brands manufacture in India. Or Nepal etc. But not in chin. If you come to know of some using chini raw material then publicize it.
4. Other than electronics, most household goods used in a normal Indian middle-class or lower-middle class household are already manufactured in India. So its just a matter of spending a few minutes in finding and choosing the correct alternatives.
5. Reward companies manufacturing in India with good reviews in social media and good word of mouth. Do not denigrate Indian made goods.
6. If buying behavior can even be temporarily influenced - that itself can have a huge impact.

So lets not underestimate what can be achieved.
parashara
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parashara »

Atmavik ji,

you have raised a tough question - for which I have no easy answers.

100s of billions will be spent on electronics imports - there is no doubt about that. How we play catch up is the question.

People usually indicate physical infrastructure as being the key to this ecosystem. And no doubt the present govt is already doing a lot to improve this.

But people don't often pay attention to skill. NaMo is the only big exception in this regard. He has time and time again harped upon skill.
IMO this is CRITICAL.
We can fix the creaky infrastructure...
But if the technician I trained for 6 months decides to jump ship and I replace him with a greenhorn and my quality numbers take a hit, then I have a pretty non-scalable line on my hands. Nobody (including NITI) wants to talk about this issue.

We keep tooting our horn about cheap, skilled labour yada yada... But is this true??
Ask anyone who has tried to run a small scale unit... This is their #1 problem!
Go talk to Sanmina in chennai - this is one of their biggest problems as well.

We need an assembly line that first churns out workers.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

We keep tooting our horn about cheap, skilled labour yada yada... But is this true??
---

of course, Theo used to be the complainer-in-chief on those issues. most others are in IT and they keep thinking that IT runs the economy in India. :lol:

Things are improving, I think. Went to a couple of ITI schools in rural Erode and they were all buzzing with students.

problem with unorganized sector is - the apprenticeship model is not working. noobs pick up just enough skills to strike out on their own and don't develop any further.
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

parashara wrote:Atmavik ji,

you have raised a tough question - for which I have no easy answers.

100s of billions will be spent on electronics imports - there is no doubt about that. How we play catch up is the question.

People usually indicate physical infrastructure as being the key to this ecosystem. And no doubt the present govt is already doing a lot to improve this.

But people don't often pay attention to skill. NaMo is the only big exception in this regard. He has time and time again harped upon skill.
IMO this is CRITICAL.
We can fix the creaky infrastructure...
But if the technician I trained for 6 months decides to jump ship and I replace him with a greenhorn and my quality numbers take a hit, then I have a pretty non-scalable line on my hands. Nobody (including NITI) wants to talk about this issue.

Go talk to Sanmina in chennai - this is one of their biggest problems as well.

We need an assembly line that first churns out workers.
Thanks. you have made some important points that are never discussed in MSM. all we hear are rants about ' job-less-growth or growth without development'. i hope skill india program can help here.

mean while some news about a company from Real China.

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 821_1.html
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I was waiting for the doubter to show up on the thread. While I agree that immediately it is not possible to stop the prc import's by 100%. But that should not stop us from stopping wherever we can. Lets cut down the problem in size and over a period of time you can eliminate it.
srinebula
BRFite

Post by srinebula »

Interesting tidbit from the above article:
The government also gives Rs 10,000 towards training cost of each employee hired by Foxconn.
I don't know if this will make enough difference, but good to know that Govt.s are trying to address the skill gap in different ways.
Is there any chance FoxConn's presence will eventually translate to setting up of other component manufacturing facilities, to build the complete ecosystem?
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

DavidD wrote:Eh, I've seen these type of boycott stuff everywhere, from China's boycott Japan to Americans calling for boycott China. It really works when you have economic alternatives, because the international supply chain is too complicated for the average consumer and these boycott calls inevitably run out of steam....
See this the thing about Loktantra that a communist dictator govt. cannot understand.

It won't matter much to cheen but in case the politicians in Bharat see that a huge chunk of youngsters are writing against chinese products on SM and also boycotting products, they will see it as a vote winner issue.

Imagine another party takes up this issue before elections and starts burning ceremony of chinese products like Gandhi ji did for brishit products, they will become hero and Modi will have to act tough against chinese trade imbalance. Right now he is watching how much public opinion is against cheen on its own.