Indian Interests_2

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Interests_2

Post by JE Menon »

https://www.ft.com/content/30199e16-d6d ... d6f82e62f8

Financial Times - India’s plans on archipelago in Mauritius cause unease

Fazila Jeewa-Daureeawoo, Mauritian deputy prime minister, gave a written response to the country’s national assembly in which she said the agreement between India and Mauritius was “subject to confidentiality and cannot be disclosed in part or in full”.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The UKstanis as usual trying to meddle in India's affairs.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A two year old book recommended by Ravi Rikhye on British conquest. I am posting the book review in wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Conquered

In the author's own words
Viewpoint: The myth of 'strong' British rule in India
By Jon Wilson

Historian

In the midst of busy London, the Oriental Club off Oxford Street seems a haven of peace and power.

Founded as a home for the Britons who ruled India in the days of the Raj, its wood panels, leather armchairs and faint smell of mulligatawny soup convey an image of ordered dominance to which many now look back with nostalgia.

That image still dominates our view of British rule,
whether in dramas depicting emotionally constipated British officers like Channel 4's Indian Summers or features extolling the virtues of British power.

It is present even in the most vehement criticisms of the Raj. Like the defenders of British rule, its fiercest detractors assume it was an effective system of government - they just think its power was malevolent, not benign.

'Never intended to rule'

But this image of order and control is a fiction, which belies the reality of life in British India. For 200 years, from the mid 18th Century to independence and partition in 1947, the British presided over a regime that was chaotic, violent, driven by uncontrolled passions and profoundly wracked by anxiety.

The British never intended to rule India.

Their conquest was not driven by a strategy to spread their power, either in their own interests or that of the people they ruled.

They first engaged with India as members of the monopolistic East India Company. From the start they were anxious about challenges to their position from other European merchants and Indian rulers.

Trade always involved violence, with the company recruiting armies and building forts from the late 1600s.

A combination of paranoid concerns about defence and the opportunity for military glory then created an impulse towards conquest from the mid 18th Century onwards.

In practice, from the beginning to the end of Britain's empire, the British created a series of heavily fortified outposts, doing little more than what they thought was necessary to protect their power.

Order and some level of public service was provided in imperial cities and district capitals where Britons resided, but there was no effective government machinery in much of Indian society.

By contemporary standards, the size of the state was tiny, and the capacity for political action very limited.

During the 19th and early 20th Centuries, British infrastructure was usually built as a panicked response to crisis; public works were not a measured effort to improve Indian society or even help British traders profit. Irrigation works were started in the 1850s only after a series of economic crises made the British worry about rebellion and diminishing taxes.

Railways were only backed enthusiastically after the great rebellion of 1857 proved the need to be able to transport troops quickly across India to suppress dissent.

Fear of political challenge

In the middle of the 19th Century even British capitalists wanted the government in India to invest more, but British officials refused to act unless it would directly protect their power.

The chaos of British rule helped turn late 19th Century India into one of the world's most famine-prone societies, as the political networks and mechanisms with which Indians supported each other in times of need were undermined by the British fear of political challenge.

Famine relief was focused on protecting centres of British authority and keeping expenditure as low as possible. The initial strategy was to build famine camps to provide the starving with work far away from existing centres of settlement, so the poor didn't cluster and protest in imperial towns.

British rule ended amid a cycle of violence sparked by the Raj's paranoid concerns about its own security. The 20th Century's two world wars turned India into a massive self-financing barracks essential to defend Britain's position throughout Asia - but it also racked up anxiety in the face of challenge.

'Existential crisis'

The idea of dominating India had come to be woven into imperial families' very way of life; for some, any form of retreat involved a major existential crisis. The result was events like Gen Reginald Dyer's unplanned massacre of hundreds of people at Amritsar's Jallianwala Bagh in 1919, which undermined the belief of many Indian nationalists that they could negotiate with the Raj.

The political strategy of Indian opponents to British rule was designed to create an ordered society in contrast to the chaos and violence they associated with imperial power. That, for example, was the aim of Mohandas Gandhi's strategy of non-violence. But amidst economic depression and world war, Indian society fragmented.

The Raj's failure to provide protection to different social groups meant fear and a tendency towards retaliatory violence spread throughout north India. The end of World War Two was marked by mass poverty and an unprecedented social collapse.

By 1946, Britons felt that their state could no longer uphold its core purpose, to maintain their own safety. The speed with which British officers fled India in 1947 was remarkable.

For too long, we have been taken in by the self-justifying stories written by the Raj's retired officers in places like the Oriental Club, of the myth of order and firm government. When, after the Chilcot Inquiry, we so obviously see the chaotic consequences of unplanned violence in our own times, it is time those myths were finally laid to rest and we understood the reality of the Raj.

Jon Wilson teaches history at King's College London.
His book India Conquered. Britain's Raj and the Chaos of Empire is published by Simon and Schuster
Here is a Gungadin review by a toady:

https://www.historytoday.com/reviews/br ... aos-empire
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A few remarks.
British started as traders but as privateers or pirates i.e. they were armed merchantmen.
They always were accompanied by arms.
Soon after they forced themselves using their gunpowder ships/navies and arms to extract the right to trade.
The narrative of traders with fortified garrison cities and towns and district capitals that left the countryside chaotic was exactly the narrative of occupying invaders like the Islamists. And creation of a secondary class of Gungadins, who are still prevalent, to whom they handed over power.
Now you see why the Congress which could not rise to the nationalist impulse failed in the society that suffered from economic depression after the world wars.

They continued the extraction model of the British invaders.
It was only in 2014 that this old colonial order was breached.
We are still fighting to uproot that alien order.

For example read that Gungadin review above where he still extols the British rule.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ramana wrote:A few remarks.
British started as traders but as privateers or pirates i.e. they were armed merchantmen.
They always were accompanied by arms.
Soon after they forced themselves using their gunpowder ships/navies and arms to extract the right to trade.
The narrative of traders with fortified garrison cities and towns and district capitals that left the countryside chaotic was exactly the narrative of occupying invaders like the Islamists. And creation of a secondary class of Gungadins, who are still prevalent, to whom they handed over power.
Now you see why the Congress which could not rise to the nationalist impulse failed in the society that suffered from economic depression after the world wars.

They continued the extraction model of the British invaders.
It was only in 2014 that this old colonial order was breached.
We are still fighting to uproot that alien order.

For example read that Gungadin review above where he still extols the British rule.
The similarities of your post with today's china are remarkable. Not sure if you intended it that ways. That's why India should not wait for OBOR to collapse but precipitate its collapse.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

All bandit operations are same.
Our Carl has a very insightful comment on my post.
Will ask him to post and tweet it.

The gist of his comment is that a settled world at peace will collapse these bandit Empires.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

The C3 Ecosystem (Congress, Communists & Converters) which prevails in our country today thrives on poverty, and essentially on keeping the Dharmic civilization down.

https://myvoice.opindia.com/2018/12/why ... dependent/

My article on the C3 Ecosystem, Why it Loves Poverty, and Why Any Socio-Economic Development enables the "core".
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/up ... munity.pdf
n an attempt to fill this gap, a survey of India’s strategic community was fielded in December 2018. Email invitations to participate in a 20-question survey were sent to 290 members of India’s strategic community from 14 December, 2018 onwards. Of those who received the email invitation to answer the SurveyMonkey questionnaire, 127 (44%) responded by 25 December, 2018. The survey was anonymous but linked to individual email addresses to ensure its integrity. The average time spent on the survey was seven minutes. Respondents were required to answer all 20 questions to successfully submit their responses. Estimates of the population of India’s strategic community might vary between approximately 2000 (using a narrow definition of senior decision-makers in the political leadership, bureaucracy, and military, as well as key influencers) and 50,000 (if all members of major constituencies were considered). Regardless of this large discrepancy, the margin of error in such an elite survey would be approximately 7% with a confidence level of 90%.
The thinking is all over the place in the "strategic community", the threads pull every which way, good in a sense as there is no thought conformity but for issues like national defense there must be a stated framework or policy to guide our actions.
ragupta
BRFite

Post by ragupta »

JE Menon wrote:The C3 Ecosystem (Congress, Communists & Converters) which prevails in our country today thrives on poverty, and essentially on keeping the Dharmic civilization down.

My article on the C3 Ecosystem, Why it Loves Poverty, and Why Any Socio-Economic Development enables the "core".
Awesome, thanks for such a good summary.
sarathy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sarathy »

JE Menon wrote:The C3 Ecosystem (Congress, Communists & Converters) which prevails in our country today thrives on poverty, and essentially on keeping the Dharmic civilization down.

Good one, Thanks for sharing.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Protests Outside Supreme Court After Panel Clears Chief Justice

The exoneration of CJI has not gone down well. Protests break out around the SC. Section 144 implemented.
New Delhi: A protest broke out outside the Supreme Court today after an in-house panel of the top court cleared Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi of sex harassment allegations on Monday. Women lawyers and members of some non-profit groups turned up outside the Supreme Court and shouted slogans this afternoon.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

The so called "Indian Nationalist" and "Indian Freedom fighter" Jawaharlal Nehru did not like Cambridge as a student . Wanted to leave Cambridge and join Oxford

Why?

Because,Nehru says, "Cambridge is becoming full of Indians. Oxford is Much better in that respect (no Indians)"

https://twitter.com/TrueIndologyliv/sta ... 7195966469
Its time to pull down this charlatan Bandit Nehru for good.
Since the new govt is going to announce the NEP(New Education Policy) on the first day of its office on May 31st and based on which the new textbooks at the school level are now going to come forth,

Nehru & Nehruvian consensus which ruled India for 60 years should be the first target.
Hope starting now there will be a chapter on post independence history of India as opposed to how the our highschool textbooks stopped History of India at 1947.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

After foreignly trying to influence Indian Elections in 2019 by fanning Hinduphobia just to target Narendra Modi led BJP govt >> viewtopic.php?p=2350792#p2350792

Netflix and its Islamist minion on a payroll Hassan Minhaj are now targeting Indian Cricket & BCCI in the runup to the Cricket WorldCup. Watch from this timestamp >> https://youtu.be/v5DWJv1hiwM?t=703

Thumbs down the video & give a scathing comment .

My comment.
Hassan Minhaj regularly pushes Hinduphobia through his Netflix show Patriot Act.

I get it, Netflix hates Hindu culture and pushes Hinduphobia as a matter of fact through it shows like Leila , Ghoul , Sacredgames etc.

In this video Minhaj goes further & demonized the whole Indian Cricket culture .
Wonder on which white master's bidding he did this episode ?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks, I would like to track corporate director ship of top 200 companies by value in India.

Any volunteers?
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

I am. how to sign up? I already did some digging on similar subject. I would like to continue.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

You are it.
Please Start putting data in searchable form for analysis.
Use a database pdogram and not XL.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

what will be the fields/schema?
(name, value, tags, ......)
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

how are you defining 200 co.s?
1. pvt., i assume
2. how do you define value: By revenue or Market cap?
3. Do you need indep directors too?

Also,
1. what is the objective?
2. By when do you need it? I am exteremely tied up with office..need to do for UBji ..got a eagle direct from yakherder...this is a few hours job.. a decade back i could have posted here a lot more for you....
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

syam wrote:what will be the fields/schema?
(name, value, tags, ......)

syam ji, i would like to collabrate. this seems like a good candidate for Elasticsearch.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

Check on www.zauba.com or others similar
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

ramana wrote:Folks, I would like to track corporate director ship of top 200 companies by value in India.

Any volunteers?

Zaubacorp is a good website.^ Also most of the information is available on MCA site
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

ramana wrote:Folks, I would like to track corporate director ship of top 200 companies by value in India.

Any volunteers?
Ramana garu,

On similar lines. I was watching some debate on Telugu channel. In that, they said in India each media has to publish list of owners in March each year. One journalist said himself was surprised to find media owners very different than what he was expecting owners be.

That may be another trackable thing if you are interested.

I'll try to check media sources if they published that data this year.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

syam, You are the boss. I want to be able to see patterns!

ShyamSP, Good catch. Extend it to all Southern states.

We can open a thread.
Patterns of control in Indian media and Corporates.

Publicly listed not PSUs.
200 is a number from the hat.
Why do I want?
Curiosity for I want to know what I don't know.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

ramana sir, i created this spread sheet

the main thing for now is collecting the data. Later we can sync it to whatever db we use. Everyone is welcome to add data in the sheet. I added first row for reference.

Atmavik saab, good idea but i am really an infra poor guy. we will look into it once things reach critical mass.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

syam wrote:ramana sir, i created this spread sheet

the main thing for now is collecting the data. Later we can sync it to whatever db we use. Everyone is welcome to add data in the sheet. I added first row for reference.

Atmavik saab, good idea but i am really an infra poor guy. we will look into it once things reach critical mass.

yes lets just collect the data first . i can setup all the DB and visualization part.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

Guys, at least add company names to the sheet. I will google details. I only know like max 50 to 60 company names. We need at least 500 names to make it worth. There are many interesting details about India's riches, like
India's millionaire club added 7,300 in the year through mid-2018, driving up its total number of dollar-millionaires to 3,43,000, with 1,500 of them holding wealth over $100 million each, according to a Credit Suisse report.
From my previous post,
India - 106 billionaires - $0.4tr total networth
See the numbers!! They are low. But at least we can get some head start when searching for names.

Also check NSE and BSE top lists. iirc et rag also maintains list of indian cos. We need to filter them and pick best.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Syam garu please to check out these groups too ...
Getting a BJP govt into Karnataka is the need of the hour. There guys are milking the IT cashcow in Bengaluru with congie protection to fund anti-India propaganda.While the majority of portals push BIF propaganda,they do monkey balancing by throwing peanuts at couple of PIF portals like Swarajya & BetterIndia . I wonder why Swarajya needs to take their funding which only serves to legitimize their rest of the BIF funding activity.

Donors to IPSMF (INDEPENDENT AND PUBLIC-SPIRITED MEDIA FOUNDATION) which funds BIF propaganda & antiBJP propaganda portals like Wire , AltNews , EPW ,Carvan ,Downtoearth, Print,factchecker.in And several other regional language portals in Malayalam , Marathi , Kannada etc
http://ipsmf.org/donors/
https://twitter.com/suprati_/status/1137253739167748096
With starting corpus of Rs 100 cr, Bengaluru billionaires register media trust
The Bengaluru-based Independent and Public Spirited Media Trust with a starting corpus of Rs 100 crore has been anchored by Wipro chairman Azim Premji and philanthropist Rohini Nilekani.
September 20, 2015

A syndicate backed by three Bengaluru-based billionaires and consisting of at least 10 other wealthy Indians has registered a trust that will fund independent digital media companies which pursue quality and responsible journalism.

The Bengaluru-based Independent and Public Spirited Media Trust with a starting corpus of Rs 100 crore has been anchored by billionaire Wipro chairman Azim Premji and philanthropist Rohini Nilekani, the wife of Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani.
“It will invest in and make grants in the independent and public spirited media space and, hopefully, also invent in the ecosystem around independent media,” Rohini Nilekani said in an emailed statement to The Sunday Express. A former journalist herself, she has committed Rs 30 crore to the trust. She added, “On behalf of many donors, I can say that we hope it will create a sustainable space to foster great reporting and coverage, especially in the digital space that allows for a deeper discourse in our democracy.”

Months of out-of-sight groundwork have resulted in the formation of the trust, an intermediary institution. Its support for independent media will be pioneering as India has never seen public-funded independent media entities of the likes of public-funded non-profit National Public Radio in the United States or the public-funded public service British Broadcasting Corporation in the United Kingdom.

“We are backing measured, balanced and responsible reporting instead of propaganda, one-sided opinions and scare-mongering,” another Bengaluru billionaire Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, chairman & MD of biotechnology firm Biocon, said. Among the other billionaire backers is Vikram Lal of the Delhi-based Eicher Motors, makers of the Royal Enfield motorcycles.

The Trust is the first concerted endeavour to fund online media ventures in a country where burgeoning mainstream print media and television firms are backed by corporate houses which is seen as a conflict of interest and antithetical to free and fair reporting. Meanwhile, India’s digital media scene is exploding with many independent, entrepreneur-backed ventures. .

The Nilekani couple has directly supported independent media ventures such as the peer-reviewed academic journal, Economic & Political Weekly, and the rural dialect newspaper, Khabar Lehariya.

The other philanthropists in the newly-formed syndicate are backing media ventures for the first time. However, none of the backers will have a direct say in which digital ventures the Trust can back. “The funders will not run it, all funders will have a hands-off approach,” said Anurag Behar, CEO of the Azim Premji Foundation.
Who runs & funds Hinduphobic, Bharat-bashing media like ‘The Wire’?
JULY 28, 2017

1. Mr. Aamir Khan

2. Azim Premji Philanthropic Initiatives Private Limited (Wipro’s philanthropic arm)

3. Mr. Cyrus Guzder (FedEx logistics, courier business tycoon)

4. Ms. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw (Chairwoman of Biocon)

5. Lal Family Foundation

6. Manipal Education and Medical Group India Pvt Ltd (headed by CEO & MD Ranjan Pai, also has Mohandas Pai as Chairman of Board of one of the group companies)

7. Piramal Enterprises Limited (large pharmaceutical company)

8. Pirojsha Godrej Foundation (charitable trust of the Godrej group)

9. Quality Investment Pvt. Ltd. (Mumbai based investment company)

10. Ms. Rohini Nilekani (wife of Infosys founder Nandan Nilekani who is also a member of member of Indian National Congress)

11. Rohinton and Anu Aga Family Discretionary No. 2 Trust (charity arm of Thermax Ltd., the energy and environment engineering business)

12. Sri Nataraja Trust (Chennai based NGO started by Lakshmi Narayanan, ex-CEO of Cognizant Technologies. This NGO also donates to ISKCON)

13. Tejaskiran Pharmachem Ind. P. Ltd. (Mumbai-based chemical manufacturing company. Apparently has same registered address as Quality Investment Pvt. Ltd.)

14. Unimed Technologies Ltd. (Gujarat-based pharma company)

15. Viditi Investment Pvt. Ltd. (another investment company with same address as Quality Investment Pvt. Ltd.)
Nice little scam these crony capitalists have setup funding ultra-leftist portals like Wire,Caravan,EPW to target their opponents while sitting pretty with a teflon coat.
Notice how the IT & Pharma & International Courier sector companies needing continued access to US markets are predominating in this anti-India propaganda business.

What we need is more diversity in MNC's operating in India less dependent on US-Euro markets .
EastAsian , Middleeastern, Russian , even Chinese MNC's should be redcarpeted to counter the dominance of massa subservient MNCs in India.They should compete & exhaust themselves trying to push govt policy and GOI should maintain delicate balance(while divide & ruling them) to prevent dominance of any one side.
As India integrates to the East and IOR this rebalancing away from Massa markets will naturally happen but this should be pushed this term.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

lilo ji, we never had anything grew up from bottom tier to top. Most of the success is from blessings of higher level beings in our power circles. India has good number of billnres. but very poor numbers in millnres list. I keep repeating same thing because these numbers are big shock to me. especially those with more than 100 million dollar wealth. only 1,500 + 106. Lets round it to 2000. Really very small number. 1 billion population and 2000 rich people.

Earlier governments can be excuse for it. but after 90s people got freedom to do business. where did the freedom go for last 30 years? we should thank lord shri ram that there was no serious government at center till modiji came. Imagine some one like Indira with so much market access. We would have turned into some crazy country.
-----
btw I am doing the data part also on my own. going to delete the share link in few days. It will be under the burkha. What use team work has when only one or two people doing the work.
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

I have the list of 500(both private and public) with their revenue. What trend you want to see, ramana ji?

I saw many pharma, oil and bank cos in the top list.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

syam, Do you find common directors among the top 500? Whats the frequency?
Are they business people or professionals or relatives?
How frequently do you see govt officials, judges relatives as directors?
syam
BRFite

Post by syam »

ramana ji, i don't think that type of info is in public domain. The trouble we will face is not worth the effort. Most of them upgraded their offices to glass buildings back in upa era. We can easily guess which side the wind blows there. I am yet to meet any nationalist guy in elite class. On other hand, my earlier 2000 number is good lead to follow up.

Not saying we hit dead end. It's just too big for a small time guy like me.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Ok. Let me think.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Syam, We didn't have to do much!!!!

https://twitter.com/iMac_too/status/114 ... 63776?s=19

BRF ahead of the curve.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Gurus while doing some search stumbled upon another silent BIF virus :

Its called Mission Bhartiyam

At present, Aaghaz-e-Dosti has regional chapters and or co-ordinators in Aligarh, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Delhi, Mumbai and Vadodara in India and in Lahore, Islamabad, Karachi and Toba Tek Singh in Pakistan. It also has co-ordinators in Dubai and Kyrgyz Republic.

For Aaghaz-e-Dosti, Mission Bhartiyam had collaborated with several organisations of Pakistan (such as CYDA, IMOV, The Catalyst, The Catalyst for Peace) in the past and from May 2017, Aaghaz-e-Dosti became a joint initiative of Mission Bhartiyam and Pakistan-based Hum Sab Aik Hai (lit. “We are One”).

An average Indian and a Pakistani have the same secret desire to cross the border, atleast once. They want to see what people on the “other” side eat, how they talk, how they look and how they think. And if it is to be believed what those lucky people who have visited says, they will be highly ‘disappointed’ because it is just the same there. We share a common history, a common language, a common culture and even a common desire.

With a huge sense of pride, the third generation would narrate how their grandparents had crossed the borders. There is a “Lahore Driving School” in Delhi. People on both sides are consciously trying to preserve this fact of migration. The images of the past, the nostalgia are still being invoked, after 70 years, after all the political clashes and fluctuating relations.

It shows the common desire which is to build strong ties of friendship and brotherhood. India and Pakistan has even the same political, economic and social challenges to fight with. So why to keep the falsely constructed distance?

Let these barriers only be political (administrative) ones because socially and culturally there are no barriers. These barriers have been constructed and have to be demolished. The barriers of suspicion and hatred are also constructed and have to be demolished too. And these barriers cannot be removed by people with bodyguards or with guns. They can be removed by people who are faceless in crowds and voiceless in a chorus. They can be removed only by the so-called “common people” or the aam insaan.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

GoI has decided to keep India 2019 onwards in long volatility and short abstration camp. If this works, we will be a super power in the next decade. Fits into the maximalist perspective of Bharat Karnad. It necessitates Indians living in the UK to work towards Brexit and get into political offices in whatever foreign nations they live in.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

A young Indian couple married for love. Then the bride’s father hired assassins

Painful reading, with this tidbit -
A 2017 study found that just 5.8 percent of Indian marriages are between people of different castes, a rate that has changed little in four decades.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Shocking and distressing to read about the deaths of Indians in the US from drownings, boat disasters( such as at Santa Cruz in CA recently) racist incidents, robberies and domestic violence. Of course, Indians aren't the only ones dying in accidents and crimes. But it's too noticeable, and one loathes to hear of one's own people having their lives cut short like this. And does anyone appreciate the sad irony of all these people coming to the US for a better quality of life , higher remuneration or superior education, only to meet with utter tragedy. And do any Indians in India think twice about running to the US with that HB-1 visa or green card. They might have done just fine if they stayed in India. Imagine that.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Up. Further plans are afoot for this thread.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Ok, let me take a shot at “snappy (or snappy-ish) answers to stupid white-man-is-great questions” (as the late MAD magazine might have put it).

“British introduced electoral democracy to India.”

No, what they introduced was patriarchal feudalism with votes overwhelmingly restricted to male feudals. Even those votes were meaningless, as they could be, and were, arbitrarily vetoed by the white rulers.

Details: voting and elections were introduced after the Indian Councils Act of 1909. Voting rights were restricted mostly to feudal class men, a negligible percentage of the population.

After the Government of India Act of 1935, voting rights were slightly extended, to college graduates for example. And a very very small and selected group of women were included in the franchise. (Exact particulars of just who had the right to vote are hard to come by, if someone has better data, do share.)

Only a fool would call such severely restricted access to voting as electoral democracy.

Fact: India introduced electoral democracy to itself in the 1950 constitution. With a single stroke of the pen, every single Indian citizen, no matter their gender, poverty or illiteracy became a full and equal partner in the Republic of India. There has never been a grander, or more abrupt, or more successful and flourishing democratic revolution in all of human history.

This is in contrast to western countries that imprisoned women for demanding the vote, mass-murdered oppressed people such as Blacks for exercising their vote, and even today, in 2021, shamelessly plot and scheme to manipulate laws to prevent Blacks, the poor, and any of the underclasses from exercising their voting rights.

No westerner has the right to preach to India about democracy; no one has the right to point to any western country as a beacon of democracy. If someone truly believes in democracy, they have no choice but to hold up India as the guiding light of democracy.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

KLNMurthy wrote:Ok, let me take a shot at “snappy (or snappy-ish) answers to stupid white-man-is-great questions” (as the late MAD magazine might have put it).

“British introduced electoral democracy to India.”

No, what they introduced was patriarchal feudalism with votes overwhelmingly restricted to male feudals. Even those votes were meaningless, as they could be, and were, arbitrarily vetoed by the white rulers.
Did not know that. Will read up on it further.

But you got the basic format that I had in mind for this exercise. Start with a dumbass statement by the usuals. PUT DOWN A SHORT, EFFECTIVE, FACTUAL ONE-LINE (or at most two-line) REJOINDER. This rejoinder should be the first response. Often, it will be the ONLY response. I'll get to that.

After that factual one-line response, please feel free (in this thread) to elaborate with further details. As bland and factual as possible, don't get emotional. In a real conversation with loonies, for the most part, these details will NOT be used. I'll get to that also.

So, like I said, you got that format just the way I like it.

Now, friends, keep the goals in mind. WE ARE NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE THE LOONIES. By definition, loonies cannot be convinced. Don't even try, facts are of no use here. Use the factual, one-line response simply to throw them off balance. Let them struggle and wrap themselves in knots. DO NOT ELABORATE, JUST ENJOY THEIR DISCOMFITURE. Trust me, all they are trying to do, is to find a chink in the armor, so that they can shift the goalposts (I know, I'm mixing metaphors). If you delve into details, they will find that chink, and the conversation will shift before you even know it. They are experts at doing this, I repeat, DO NOT GIVE THEM THAT CHANCE BY TALKING TOO MUCH.

Then what are the details for? The details, dear friends, are to convince those who are genuinely interested. Those who are truly shocked at how their whole world-view has been collapsed by one single fact, and who want to learn more. The more facts you have in your details, the more effect you'll have.

Beware - the loonies are truly clever. Often, they will pose as being genuinely interested. How do you tell the difference? Sorry, but you can't. All you can do is to follow a simple guideline.

That one-line factual rejoinder of yours - whoever in your audience admits that their world-view is altered by that rejoinder - you can elaborate with details to those individuals. Of course loonies can pose in this way also. It doesn't matter. Once they admit that the factual rejoinder has altered their perceptions, they have already lost ground. So you present details one at a time. DO NOT RUSH IN WITH EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT. Keep a mental sequence of which detail to present first, second, third. Get your opponent to lose ground ONE STEP AT A TIME. Any faster, and a clever opponent will have you floored before you know it, and will change the goalposts before you know it. And the conversation will shift away from facts, towards rhetoric, emotions, accusations - everything that we are trying to avoid at all costs.

To anybody who tends towards rhetoric, don't try to respond in kind. Clam up, refuse to discuss the issue further until they have reconciled whatever they are saying with the BASIC FACT. "SORRY, BUT YOU HAVEN'T ADDRESSED THE FACT(s) IN MY STATEMENT." Full-stop. As an example - "dude, I don't care what you say, could you please tell me how the British can claim to have educated India, when the literacy rate in India was at 12% when the British left?" BE READY TO BACK UP YOUR QUANTITATIVE FACT WITH AN IRON-CLAD REFERENCE.

In the above case - the reference would be - the first survey in independent India in 1951, which showed 12% literacy. I believe the 1947 number of 11% was interpolated between 1941 and 1951, but I'm not sure of this. British surveys happened decadally in India, starting from the first one in 1881 (which - incidentally - showed a literacy rate in British India of - wait for it - 3.5%. That is not a typo for thirty five percent, it is literally - three and a half percent. This is 24 years, or one generation, after the British crown took over the "management" of India from the East India Company - after the 1857 revolt. It is also from a British survey, so not "Hindoo-nationalist propaganda").

The above pertains to the real world. The guidelines in this thread should not be confused with real-world arguments. So - in this particular thread - in the posts which follow, the guideline is - pick your most effective fact - the one which ideally negates and destroys the very basis of the opponent's original provocation and world-view - and make that your primary rejoinder. This rejoinder should be as quantitative as possible (numbers, percentages, etc.). Rank the remaining facts by effectiveness, and put them down in that order (most effective to least effective) in the DETAILS. Keep the primary rejoinder separate, distinct from the details. DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO.

So Murthyji, your post is just in the right format, as far as I'm concerned. If it is possible, however, to modify your primary rejoinder to be more quantitative, then please go for it. Something like "the British 'democratic' system only allowed X % of the MALE population to have a say in the electoral process, it was independent India which expanded that fraction to 100%, and also allowed FEMALES to vote." This is just a suggestion from my side, and it is not always possible to quantify - the only guideline is - the rejoinder should be as effective as possible. Also, if you could provide a reference or two, that would be even better.