Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by chetak »

Thakur_B wrote:
Bart S wrote:
She claimed that her visa was valid till Oct 2020 and I haven't seen that statement being denied or countered anywhere. What probably happened was that she was denied entry due to her nefarious activities.
Her e-visa had been cancelled. She claims she didn't see it because she was out of office.

would one expect anything better from a paki loving britshit commie hell bent on unnerving, and subduing the SDRE natives as befits an entitled white skinned memsaab.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

UlanBatori wrote:
mappunni wrote:Goat herder ji you got me confoosed. Thought that was Frisco TX :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pretty sure it was 'Frisco CA a.k.a "The City" (of Fruits an Nuts). Back circa 2003/04 IIRC.
Yes. The other Indian consulate is in Houston, TX.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

chanakyaa wrote:One technical pooch. Does EM has the ability to electronically check validity of desi bija in Dubai? Looks like bija was cancelled by email...
Typically no, airlines don't necessarily have access to immigration databases from their checkin systems. They can scan the visa and store the details after validating visa requirement and visa expiration date, but that's it.

The curious thing about this episode is that she apparently had an e-Visa that had been invalidated. Those things include a printout of the confirmation. I'm assuming what happened here is:
1. She applies for e-Visa, gets approved
2. Subsequent audit results in red flag . The visa is annulled and she's informed.
3. She decides to use the original confirmation to make her trip and try to brazen her way in.
4. Emirates at LHR and DXB see the original confirmation printout (but not the subsequent denial that she fraudulently doesn't show them).
5. Immigration computer at New Delhi rejects her.

Historically British people are not known for asking permission to enter India, so her behavior is not surprising. I would not be surprised if she went all 'pata nahi main koun hun' on immigration, asserting that her grandpoppa rode the cavalry into India so she should be let in too.

On paper, she's up for not one but two counts of fraudulent behavior against Emirates, since she lied at both London and Dubai. Whatever Emirates wants to do about it is up to them. However, her pattern of behavior indicates that she is at ease with lying and committing fraud.

This will hold against her in her visa applications, not just to India, but elsewhere, since other countries ask 'have you ever been deported from any country' in their questionnaire, e.g. Part 4(a) of Singapore visa application . Being deported from one country rarely ends the problem there - it impacts future visa applications to other places too.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Notice sent to Emirates

The Bureau of Immigration has now sent a notice to Emirates to ascertain how Debbie Abrahams was allowed to board the flight with an invalid visa, said the official quoted above.

The airlines did not check her visa before she boarded and that is a violation too. Also, the details that her visa has been cancelled should have been with the airlines as it is also updated in their system, but they were not careful enough to check,” said the official.

“We have now sent them a notice seeking an explanation for the same,” added the official.

The official also said when the staff at the airport asked her to show them a copy of her visa, she showed them the visa that was cancelled.

“She then requested us to give her an on-arrival visa, which we refused. Travelling without a valid visa is an offence. It is a violation of visa rules. Hence, she will now be sent back,” the source said.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Interesting move by GoI - they can try to fine Emirates here. Emirates in turn will scramble to find out just how she cleared boarding at TWO places with an invalid visa to India. It'll be interesting to see who cops the blame here - Emirates themselves, or whether they try to throw her under the bus, knowing she's not going to ever be able to enter India for the next few years.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

here goes her India visa for many many years now.

Abhishek Singhvi @DrAMSinghvi

The deportation of Debbie Abrahams by India was indeed necessary, as she is not just an MP, but a Pak proxy known for her clasp with e Pak govt and ISI. Every attempt that tries to attack India's sovereignty must be thwarted.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

She and her colleague(a sikh man) left India to Dubai. From there they caught a plane to Pakistan.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

nvishal wrote:She and her colleague(a sikh man) left India to Dubai. From there they caught a plane to Pakistan.
Please include sources/links also.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Simple,

An Indian traveller CANNOT apply for a visa upon landing in the UK.

similarly

A traveller from the UK CANNOT apply for a visa upon landing in India.

Afford this right to Indians and we will consider the same in India.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Emirati folk worship "Gluteus Maximus Album". So, the best they are going to do is to "not apologize" to her arrogant "Gluteus Maximus Album"
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Suraj wrote:Being deported from one country rarely ends the problem there - it impacts future visa applications to other places too.
at least getting a visa of pakistan malaysia, and turkey wont be a problem in future. So that she can pander to her audience as much as she likes..I am very happy at the way this incidence played out...even better than i thought at this time...on a lighter note she might be missing or left out from the free chai biskut and shikara rides that some EU representatives were given last week..so thats why she made it a point to fly there...if it were to me..i would take her to places where she realizes truly experiences the peace, beauty and love of the constituency she was playing for...
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A vija stamp from Terroristan on her passport ends her plans to vijit Usa and give advice on how to run THAT former colony, what what I say? Unless she wants to spend 4 hours in "augmented enhanced vetting" at port of entry.
Reminds me of when an ishtudant (desi) came to me laughing about how Professor X (British-origin, US citjen) told her he was amazed: Had just found out that he would need a VISA to visit India, what-what!!
I told her that he might not be aware that India is not a British Colony. And explained how the Maoris welcomed Captain Cook when he visited without a visa - and how he got the honorary (postthumous) name Captain Cook.
Captain! Welcome to Maoristan!
Please come and sit here. Inside this nice big warm pot where we have prepared your bath-water!
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

I doubt she got formally deported since she didn't enter the country anyway. She could have avoided the deportee cell by immediately purchasing a ticket to Nepal or Sri Lanka or Thailand or a 100 other countries which wouldn't need a visa from her and taken the connecting flight.

All these busybody parliamentarians need to know that there will be a strong reaction if they have an anti-India stance vis-a-vis Kashmir or or other core interests. This is not like supporting the Indian LGBT community and asking for us to change our laws, or supporting free trade, market access, or for that matter even supporting the rights of tribals/indigenous/lower castes.

Kashmir is a live wire. We have lost thousands of young men and others and continue to do so because of terrorism. We have large budget allocations and boots on the ground to maintain peace and defend from invaders/terrorists. Our people have been forced out of their homes violently. This isn't a thought experiment where we can all have different opinions and yet remain friends. Our enemy, the one that actively lobbies aforementioned parliamentarians, is doing its level best to wrest this area out of our hands. We don't maintain nuclear forces for no reason.

GoI should put together a book on our Kashmir position, and gift it to busybodies to read in the deportee cell.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/brit ... 200218.htm
Brit MP knew of revoked visa before India visit: Govt
Source: PTI - Edited By: Utkarsh MishraLast updated on: February 18, 2020

British lawmaker Debbie Abrahams' e-Business visa was revoked as she was involved in anti-India activities, and the cancellation was conveyed to her on February 14, government sources said on Tuesday. The Indian High Commission in London also confirmed on Tuesday that Abrahams, who was denied entry to India and deported to Dubai on Monday, did not hold a valid visa. Asserting that the grant, rejection or revocation of a visa or electronic travel authorisation is the sovereign right of a country, the sources said Abrahams was issued an e-Business visa on October 7 last year which was valid till October 5, 2020 for attending business meetings. British lawmaker Debbie Abrahams' e-Business visa was revoked as she was involved in anti-India activities, and the cancellation was conveyed to her on February 14, government sources said on Tuesday.
The Indian High Commission in London also confirmed on Tuesday that Abrahams, who was denied entry to India and deported to Dubai on Monday, did not hold a valid visa. Asserting that the grant, rejection or revocation of a visa or electronic travel authorisation is the sovereign right of a country, the sources said Abrahams was issued an e-Business visa on October 7 last year which was valid till October 5, 2020 for attending business meetings.
Abrahams, who has been a vocal critic of the Indian government's abrogation of Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir, posted what looks like an e-visa document on Twitter to show that she had a visa issued on October 7 last year, which was valid until October 5, 2020.
Gautam
I wish they had done a Devyani Khobragade istyle search on her just for the sake to security.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

UlanBatori wrote:A vija stamp from Terroristan on her passport ends her plans to vijit Usa and give advice on how to run THAT former colony, what what I say? Unless she wants to spend 4 hours in "augmented enhanced vetting" at port of entry.
Reminds me of when an ishtudant (desi) came to me laughing about how Professor X (British-origin, US citjen) told her he was amazed: Had just found out that he would need a VISA to visit India, what-what!!
I told her that he might not be aware that India is not a British Colony. And explained how the Maoris welcomed Captain Cook when he visited without a visa - and how he got the honorary (postthumous) name Captain Cook.
Captain! Welcome to Maoristan!
Please come and sit here. Inside this nice big warm pot where we have prepared your bath-water!
UlanBatoriji,

Just for you. How rights are established!

India's visa rule is unfairly persecuting innocent Pakistanis

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pakistanis

India's visa policy is affecting British businesses and universities

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tani-orgin
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

I won't be surprised if she booked her ticket to India right after his visa rejection thinking that she could slip through.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Lisaji,
Against such blatant racism by Indians on British citizens of Pak descent, UK immigration has been uniformly fair to the Indian. Why they even made sure that Indian husbands were getting "pure" brides from India by applying a virginity test on them. No hymen, no visa. Can you beat that?
Gautam
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

yensoy wrote:I doubt she got formally deported since she didn't enter the country anyway.
What is ‘formal deportation’ vs ‘informal’ ? Never heard any such distinction.

Her passport carries a ‘refused entry’ stamp in it now. Check visa applications of any developed country and it asks whether you’ve been deported or refused entry anywhere. From my own casual search, I see that this is true for Singapore, NZ and Japan . They literally ask ‘have you been deported or refused entry to any country for any reason ?’

I think the US VWP/ESTA program becomes ineligible to anyone who has a deportation on their record ; at least they have to declare it and hope the system doesn’t invalidate their visa waiver.

A lot of the western passport strength is built on a level of basic trust not accorded to brown people - you’re from a wealthy country , you’ve been traveling freely without visa, make sure you NEVER misuse that or else you get to face the same visa hassles as them.

Here’s an apocryphal story: British man has US girlfriend and has child with her . She lives in US and raises child . He runs UK bijness and uses visa waiver to often visit US. Doesn’t tell immigration his family connection . One day he requires US visa for business reasons . His frequent travel causes denial with RFE. Hes informed that he can’t get B visa because he cannot prove he will return to UK . The fact that he has US immediate family works against him . He doesn’t want green card or US passport because of taxation , so now he meets family only outside US due to 10 year bar on entry...

Being refused entry is a big deal. Refusal and repatriation due to acts of personal fraud is a really big deal. Being an MP with this news splattered all over the press, she can’t bury this. With her record of lying she will most likely lawyer up to mitigate the damage that the fraud can cause to future visa applications anywhere.

GoI has done it’s part well by emphasizing that she was not just deported but that she committed fraud against the airline and attempted to travel on an invalid visa without telling the airline. With that act they have made her future much worse, but much more befitting of what she deserves.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

yensoy wrote:I won't be surprised if she booked her ticket to India right after his visa rejection thinking that she could slip through.
Further, she was issued an e-Business visa . She claims in her interviews that she was trying to visit family . She has basically added one more charge of fraud by admitting to misuse of visa . She was supposed to apply for e-Visitor visa . It may seem like a minor distinction but it matters a great deal to immigration . If you show up in US with B1 business visa and say you're visiting friends (B2 visitor visa basis), TSA bolis comes to haul you away and you get sent back after interrogation. The fundamental reason for this is that you LIED about the reason for your trip in visa application.
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

Lisa wrote:
UlanBatori wrote:A vija stamp from Terroristan on her passport ends her plans to vijit Usa and give advice on how to run THAT former colony, what what I say? Unless she wants to spend 4 hours in "augmented enhanced vetting" at port of entry.
UlanBatoriji,

Just for you. How rights are established!

India's visa rule is unfairly persecuting innocent Pakistanis

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pakistanis

India's visa policy is affecting British businesses and universities

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tani-orgin
Granting or not Granting a Visa is a right held by Individual countries and India has every right to reject Visa to any US, British or Aussie citizen on any basis.

I have seen US visa officers reject Student Visas just because they had a hunch or feeling that the candidate was being dishonest. No proof, just a Hunch.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

I recommend watching "UK Border Force" tv series on Youtube on how the Bartania treats the people coming there.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

bhavani wrote:Granting or not Granting a Visa is a right held by Individual countries and India has every right to reject Visa to any US, British or Aussie citizen on any basis.

I have seen US visa officers reject Student Visas just because they had a hunch or feeling that the candidate was being dishonest. No proof, just a Hunch.
That is because of presumption of guilt vs innocence.

A developed country person going to X country is presumed innocent of any potential to break visa laws. 'They're rich, they live in wonderland, why would they want to live in X ?' They are held to the assumption that they'll generally go back, and have a minimal level of proof . I once laughed in the face of a bhestern friend who asked why I've never backpacked around in my youth and 'seen the world'. I told her if I showed up with a backpack and passport in 80% of the world I'd be deported back, if I was even lucky to get a visa I was near certain to be rejected for if I applied 'going backpacking'.

A developing country person has to prove a negative. This is impossible, but they must construct an artificial basis to prove they will go back. This results in what always feels like an unjust basis, because it is. Strip away the indignity of the process, and at its heart lies a logical inconsistency that every developing country visa applicant faces. This is the basis of the 'no proof', 'hunch' etc. This leads to workable templates around the requirement, but these are still not solutions, because the fundamental proposition is not provable. I don't even call it 'burden of proof' because there is no proof, fundamentally.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

srin wrote:I recommend watching "UK Border Force" tv series on Youtube on how the Bartania treats the people coming there.
I don't recommend these shows, unless its for schadenfreude at treating them the same. They're carefully curated examples of self aggrandizement by UKBA, DHS or whatever immigration control agency is involved, where the agency is always doing its job in a perfect manner, far removed from reality.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Still waiting for Indian Libarandus to start whining about Intolerant Modi govt which denied entry to a bonafide law maker & visa holder from land of rulers and Harvard/Cambridge.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Also please be seeing lady in red shawl. She looks remarkably like..........a certain complaining visaless UK wali MP.

https://www.phclondon.org/infodiv/press ... minar.aspx
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Lisa wrote:Also please be seeing lady in red shawl. She looks remarkably like..........a certain complaining visaless UK wali MP.

Needs to go on social media :)
la.khan
BRFite

Post by la.khan »

Any updates on Vijay Mallya's extradition to India? It is months since any news got out. I was hoping that VM would be back in India by May 2019. What about the other dudes? Nirav Modi, Mehul Choksey, Lalit Modi etc.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Lisa wrote: An Indian traveller CANNOT apply for a visa upon landing in the UK.
Mid 1980s, all commonwealth countries provided this facility to each other. When did that change?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Lisa wrote: An Indian traveller CANNOT apply for a visa upon landing in the UK.
Mid 1980s, all commonwealth countries provided this facility to each other. When did that change?
Can you prove this claim ?
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

g.sarkar wrote:Lisaji,
Against such blatant racism by Indians on British citizens of Pak descent, UK immigration has been uniformly fair to the Indian. Why they even made sure that Indian husbands were getting "pure" brides from India by applying a virginity test on them. No hymen, no visa. Can you beat that?
Gautam
Thank goodness rule ended
Otherwise would have ended my ‘conjugal bliss’ :lol:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Suraj wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote: Mid 1980s, all commonwealth countries provided this facility to each other. When did that change?
Yes. I visited London from The Netherlands in 1983 or 1984 summer. The company I was consulting at gave me and a colleague a bonus of all expenses paid weekend to either London or Paris. We chose London. We had only Benelux visa and would have had to get a visa for France which was not possible in short time.

After landing, the experience was something else. We were questioned for almost 20 minutes but did get the visa under "Commonwealth Countries" rule. This was well known to all who working in that consulting company.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

g.sarkar wrote:Lisaji,
Gautam
yes i read that too...while the rule was only there for some time and was only applied to limited cases..it must be archived and told to every indian student of foreign policy to remind of the generosity we have extended by lack of our acrinomy towards these guys
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Lisa wrote:Also please be seeing lady in red shawl. She looks remarkably like..........a certain complaining visaless UK wali MP.

Confirmation in the link on that page:
https://www.phclondon.org/announcements ... cument.pdf
We, President AJ&K, Sardar Masood Khan, Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, Lord QurbanHussain, Debbie Abrahams MP, Yasmin Qureshi MP, Afzal Khan MP, Naz Shah MP, Muhammad Yasin MP, Ben Emmerson QC, John Howarth, Phil Bennion, Professor Nazir Shawl, Cllr & NEC Member Yasmin Dar and other participants of this seminar express resolve to continue with efforts to redress the human rights situation in Jammu & Kashmir, in particular, and sustainable resolution of the outstanding dispute.
For a white lady, she could pass off as being more Paki than the Pakis :mrgreen: (I mean Paki not in the Britshit racist sense but the far more derogatory literal sense).
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Suraj wrote: Can you prove this claim ?
Yes. I visited London from The Netherlands in 1983 or 1984 summer. The company I was consulting at gave me and a colleague a bonus of all expenses paid weekend to either London or Paris. We chose London. We had only Benelux visa and would have had to get a visa for France which was not possible in short time.

After landing, the experience was something else. We were questioned for almost 20 minutes but did get the visa under "Commonwealth Countries" rule. This was well known to all who working in that consulting company.
Thanks. Your experience is quite far removed from the original claim though. Your description implies you were let in on a discretionary basis due to proven business ties to Benelux. That's not the same as general permissibility.

This is a topic I've some personal familarity with - I have extended family with various states of British nationality, some outright passport holders living there, others who are British but Indian passport holders (born in UK, living in India for donkey years) who cannot easily visit UK because their birthplace is UK and they are - according to pre-BNA 1981 law - British citizens by birth, and thus can't get a visa since the British tell them they're British, and if they get passport, they lose their Indian one - the only country they have any current ties to.

There *used* to be a time when all Commonwealth nationals could freely move to UK and live there, but that was quickly closed in the early 1960s, and formalized with the Immigration Act of 1971. This didn't apply to other Cwealth nations, and Australia in particular explicitly had a White Australia policy until the mid 70s. Commonwealth citizens can still vote in UK elections if they live in UK. So yes, technically Vijay Mallya can take on BoJo for PM position in the UK general elections from jail there...
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

Suraj wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote: Mid 1980s, all commonwealth countries provided this facility to each other. When did that change?
Suraj - I can confirm they still do provide visa on arrival for transit passengers subject to you convincing the border agency that you will return within 24 hours to catch an onward flight. The catch is that this isn't available to Indian 'residents', but to those with residence in the North America or Europe.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

mmasand wrote:
Suraj wrote: Can you prove this claim ?
Suraj - I can confirm they still do provide visa on arrival for transit passengers subject to you convincing the border agency that you will return within 24 hours to catch an onward flight. The catch is that this isn't available to Indian 'residents', but to those with residence in the North America or Europe.
You're not confirming anything in the original assertion. It's a transit visa, and is clearly not available on the basis of commonwealth nationality, but on a discretionary basis subject to other conditions being met. That's a whole lot different from the original post. Further, both the DATV and VITV pages state:
You must apply online for a Visitor in Transit visa.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.
Both these need prior application, even the DATV one where you never leave the airside but need a visa just to transit. Applies to Indians too, unless they meet other conditions (e.g. US/Canada/Australia visa/GC).

It would not even apply to Vayutuvan's case in the 1980s since his visit to UK was not transit but a leisure trip.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Suraj wrote: Thanks. Your experience is quite far removed from the original claim though. Your description implies you were let in on a discretionary basis due to proven business ties to Benelux. That's not the same as general permissibility.
I was not aware of what the visa rules were at that time. None of my colleagues, who were on consulting assignments across Europe, were ever rejected a visitors visa on entry to UK.

That said, we had hotel rooms reserved for our stay at Grovesnor's Place (lovely hotel that was), return tickets to Rotterdam, and of course a valid Benelux visa on an Indian passport.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 19 Feb 2020 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

mmasand wrote:Suraj - I can confirm they still do provide visa on arrival for transit passengers subject to you convincing the border agency that you will return within 24 hours to catch an onward flight.
I did not request transit visa and my stay was for 72 hours.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Suraj wrote: Thanks. Your experience is quite far removed from the original claim though. Your description implies you were let in on a discretionary basis due to proven business ties to Benelux. That's not the same as general permissibility.
I was not aware of what the visa rules were at that time. None of my colleagues who were on consutling assignments across Europe were ever rejected a visa on entry to UK.

That said, we had hotel rooms reserved for our stay at Grovesnor's Place (lovely hotel that was), return tickets to Rotterdam, and of course a valid Benelux visa on an Indian passport.
I think all those worked in your favour - you had a proper employment gig, travel arrangements all worked out, and were thus offered discretionary entry, even though they subjected you to harrassment first.

It's true that things were less formalized then and there was more scope for discretionary permission as in your case. These days unless you meet the checklist, you're sent back. Even a transit visa needs prior application, so there's no scope for visa on arrival. The British VITV costs 64 GBP . The DATV, which is when you're not even leaving the airport, costs 35 GBP - Rs.3300 for the pleasure of free use of Heathrow's pakistans. That's daylight robbery. Japan issues 3-year visas to Indians for $7 the last time I dealt with that a couple of years ago.