Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Haresh
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Haresh »

Aldonkar wrote:
Haresh wrote:
Agree.
The parts you highlighted about the recycling, is the exact part I have been discussing hear in London with friends.

The author misses the point. Labour has been infiltrated by islamists and those islamists are hostile to Indians/India.
Labour is doing their bidding
I have no worry about staining my "upper caste" status, nor do my Hindu friends.

The only bit of the story that rings true is that I have never seen an Indian dustman in the UK. I remember arriving at Heathrow Airport in the late 1960s and being surprised to see that the women cleaners sweeping the floor in the Arrivals area were Sikhs (probably from nearby Southall). When I mentioned this to my brother who had already lived in the UK for a couple of years, he explained the realities of life to me - you did what you had to do to survive and put food on the table as long as you stayed within the law. Later on I had another shock, a White man sweeping the streets.

The Indian immigrant whether from East Africa (like Sunak & myself) or India strive to better themselves. For Hindu, Sikh and Christian this has been by academic means or by acquiring vocational skills. However the Pakistani Muslim, seems to be obsessed by religion to the detriment of their work and relationships with other people. Colleagues (English) at work have told me of Muslim co workers trying to get them involved in discussions about religion - a taboo subject with most whites because of previous history (mostly Protestant vs Catholic but also Anti Semitism). Kashmir is another obsession. In fact, they have brought Pakistan with them to the UK.
My friends from school, college, work are of mixed background. Guju, Panjabi various castes, low, high it makes no difference we talk on all subjects we drink, socialize together. We are just "Indian" that's it. A fare bit of intermarriage goes on. My Guju friends tell me that there was a time when families would insist on a Gujju caste specific for marriage, now they are just grateful that it is someone Indian.

Re Indian Dustmen it is a rare sight, mainly because there was always a stigma attached to it. I remember my parents used to say to us "if you don't study, you will end up being a dustman or street cleaner"

Cleaners at the airport are mainly from the surrounding areas of Hayes, Southall. All castes/communities, it pays the bills. I suppose dirt is an equalizer. I even know of a brahmin toilet cleaner. It's just a job
The white people who do those sorts of jobs now are mainly east European, a lot of Africans as well.

moslems are always sticking their religion in peoples faces, the goras avoid talking about it. The advantage the Indians have is we will go to the pub and talk about it over beer. Goras know who dis 9/11 & all the others, and of course the rape gangs.

I went to a Indian pub in Southall called the "Scotsman". Lot's of pictures on the wall from Indian but right in the middle was the England flag for football purposes
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

IndraD wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61896411 polio outbreak in London
There is every chance this is coming from TSP.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

yes likely. Though area mentioned has high black population too
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

It could be coming from any country that still uses the oral vaccine to get broad coverage. Outbound travel procedures for children out of countries using the oral vaccine will need to change if this starts to be a problem.
Scientists believe the virus originated from someone who was immunised abroad with the live oral polio vaccine, which hasn't been used in the UK since 2004.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

I don't know how they determine that this is because of OPV ? There are a few countries that have uneradicated wild polio. Is it that they are unmentionable ?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

they can identify by studying the structure of that particular virus. This particular strain is administered as OPV.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... hnson-says
Ukrainians who come to UK illegally could be sent to Rwanda, Johnson says
PM had previously said deportations were ‘simply not going to happen’ but now admits in theory they could
Rajeev Syal in Kigali and Diane Taylor, 23 Jun 2022

Ukrainian refugees face being sent to Rwanda if they travel to the UK without authorisation, Boris Johnson has said in an escalation of government plans to deport those who travel across the Channel seeking sanctuary.
During a visit to the Rwandan capital, Kigali, the prime minister also urged Nato and G7 countries not to settle for a “bad peace” in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia, saying it would lead to escalation by Vladimir Putin’s war machine.
Previously, Johnson had said the prospect of Ukrainian refugees being sent to Rwanda under the controversial government scheme unveiled in April was “simply not going to happen”.
But asked before the Commonwealth heads of government meeting (Chogm) whether Ukrainians arriving by boat could face deportation to east Africa, he said: “The only circumstances in which people will be sent to Rwanda would be if they come to the UK illegally, and thereby undermine the safe and legal routes that we have. I think we are giving 130,000 visas to Ukrainians and they have at least two very good routes for coming to this country.
Gautam
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Khalsa Television Ltd surrenders its licence in UK
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst

Khalsa TV which was encouraging terrorism against India in prime time debates and news surrenders licence to Ofcom
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

So Truss & BoJo visits served some purpose after all!
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

polio virus came from Pakistan: UK health authority
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 435777.cms
Aldonkar
BRFite

Prince Charles accepts "carrier bag" full of currency

Post by Aldonkar »

The Sunday Times has a report that Prince Charles accepted large cash sums in Carrier bags from a former PM of Qatar between 2011 and 2015. Here is a link to the BBC report of the article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61941113

The total donated amounted to 3 million Euros and all the cash went to the Prince's Charities that funds his "private projects" and his Scottish estate. Well I thought the UK taxpayer already funded those!

The Royal Family seems riddled with entitled idiots on the make.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

wasn' there some buzz that a MB fighter who got asylum had guarantee letter from a royal?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

chaos & political instability in UK. Rishi Sunak (FM) & Health (sajid javid) have resigned. Bojo is now captain, crew & fireman of the sinking ship. He will be gone soon leaving tories in shambles.
Sunak and Javid are positioning themselves. The Cons are living up to their notoriety as the sleaze party. This is their 3rd term in office.
BoJo had brexited and had nothing to do with EU. He could have shut his mouth like Germany and France. He thought this was God sent opportunity for him to lead and divert the attention from partygate.
What UK wished on Russia is coming true on them. Karma ....!

Govt resignations https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62058278
Last edited by IndraD on 06 Jul 2022 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1 ... TidnwqeaXw
The public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously.

I recognise this may be my last ministerial job, but I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning.

My letter to the Prime Minister below.
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Prince Charles accepts "carrier bag" full of currency

Post by kit »

Aldonkar wrote:The Sunday Times has a report that Prince Charles accepted large cash sums in Carrier bags from a former PM of Qatar between 2011 and 2015. Here is a link to the BBC report of the article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61941113

The total donated amounted to 3 million Euros and all the cash went to the Prince's Charities that funds his "private projects" and his Scottish estate. Well I thought the UK taxpayer already funded those!

The Royal Family seems riddled with entitled idiots on the make.
Thats just one of the many., tip of the iceberg !!
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/07/boris- ... e-minister
Reports: U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson agrees to resign
Zachary Basu, Laurin-Whitney Gottbrath, 7/7/2022

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson agreed to resign as Conservative Party leader Thursday, the BBC reports. The expected announcement comes after a historic number of government resignations, triggered by a series of scandals, left Johnson's position untenable.
Why it matters: It's a stunning fall for a prime minister who in 2019 won a historic 80-seat majority on the back of his pledge to take the U.K. out of the EU.
At the time, Johnson's popularity and the weakness of opposition parties led many to believe he could serve for at least two terms.
But an endless stream of scandals beginning last fall — compounded by the Johnson government's inconsistent explanations — has instead seen him ousted in disgrace in less than three years.
The latest: The BBC and other British media reported that Johnson would announce his resignation later Thursday.
Johnson hopes to stay on as prime minister until a new party leader is chosen, likely this summer, per the BBC.
"A new prime minister will be in place in time for the party conference in October," the BBC wrote.
What we're watching: Opposition leaders and key members of the Conservative Party are already pressuring Johnson to step down immediately, rather than stay on as caretaker prime minister until the fall.
How we got here: Last month, Johnson faced a no-confidence vote sparked by members of his Conservative Party after he was found to have broken the law by attending several social gatherings during the country's strict COVID-19 lockdown. He survived the vote, but the "partygate" scandal over the events at No. 10 Downing Street severely damaged his popularity.
He came under renewed pressure to resign earlier this week after his spokesperson admitted Johnson had been made aware of a sexual misconduct complaint against Conservative MP Chris Pincher in 2019 — but later "forgot" about it and appointed him to a senior government position. Pincher resigned last week after new allegations were leveled against him.
Those revelations prompted Health Secretary Sajid Javid and Chancellor Rishi Sunak, two of the country's top Cabinet ministers, as well as dozens of junior ministers to leave their posts, saying they no longer had confidence in Johnson's leadership.
By Wednesday evening, so many ministers had resigned that it was clear Johnson lacked the requisite number of loyal members of Parliament to fully staff his government.
Gautam
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

IndraD wrote:chaos & political instability in UK. Rishi Sunak (FM) & Health (sajid javid) have resigned. Bojo is now captain, crew & fireman of the sinking ship. He will be gone soon leaving tories in shambles.
Sunak and Javid are positioning themselves. The Cons are living up to their notoriety as the sleaze party. This is their 3rd term in office.
BoJo had brexited and had nothing to do with EU. He could have shut his mouth like Germany and France. He thought this was God sent opportunity for him to lead and divert the attention from partygate.
What UK wished on Russia is coming true on them. Karma ....!

Govt resignations https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62058278
Indeed karma it is. Sunak is nowhere in the reckoning for pm
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60037657
Who could replace Boris Johnson?
Published 1 hour ago

Boris Johnson has announced he will resign, which means there will now be a leadership election to decide who becomes the next Conservative leader and prime minister.
They will have to secure the backing of Tory MPs, with the final two candidates going to a ballot of Conservative members. But who are the potential candidates?
Remember, most of these MPs and ministers have not yet said whether they want the job of Tory leader and PM - but they are the ones to watch.
Rishi Sunak
Rishi Sunak was once seen by some as a sparkling possibility for a future Conservative leader.
But the last few months has seen his reputation dented following a controversy over his wife's tax affairs, and not long after that he received a fine for breaching lockdown rules.
He only became an MP in 2015 - for the North Yorkshire constituency of Richmond. Few outside of Westminster had heard of him, but he was Chancellor of the Exchequer by February 2020.
He quickly had to grapple with the coronavirus pandemic, spending huge amounts of money trying to keep the economy afloat during lockdown.
Splurging the cash didn't come easily to a man who saw himself as a low tax and spend Conservative on the Thatcherite wing of the party but it did boost his popularity.
His early move to quit the cabinet with fellow minister and friend Sajid Javid may just have paved the way for the stream of ministerial resignations that eventually forced Boris Johnson out.
Liz Truss
Gautam
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

An important point here is that Bojo hasn't resigned as Prime Minister ( yet) he has just resigned as the head of the Conservative Party and wants to serve as PM for a few more months until the next leader is chosen

Interesting to see if they let him stay on or not
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

They should send him to the front lines in Ukraine.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

AkshaySG wrote:An important point here is that Bojo hasn't resigned as Prime Minister ( yet) he has just resigned as the head of the Conservative Party and wants to serve as PM for a few more months until the next leader is chosen

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bori ... -dc5ql9xrr

He did
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

^^^If that's any indication check the voting results for the questions along with the article above.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

kit wrote:
AkshaySG wrote:An important point here is that Bojo hasn't resigned as Prime Minister ( yet) he has just resigned as the head of the Conservative Party and wants to serve as PM for a few more months until the next leader is chosen

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bori ... -dc5ql9xrr

He did
The Queen automatically asks the Leader of the largest party to try and form the Government. The new leader will still have the 80 Member majority and will thus become PM. Boris is caretaker in the interim. The process took about 2 weeks when Boris replaced Teresa May and there is no reason why it should take any longer. Parliament is about to take its summer break when MPs will return to their constituencies or go on holiday, so the senior Tories will try and ensure that the new leadre is selected before that happens.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Ironic that Putin is still there while BoJo is the one leaving.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

AoA
Bartanistan may have a true green, pencil-sharpened, follower of the book as a PM as SJ is rumoured to have thrown his Fez into the ring
If and and when he becomes the PM, happy days for Paxtan and all birathers: Free visa, FTO new toys and Fresh Kushboo of 'Kashnmir ki Kali' :rotfl: :rotfl:
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

Both RS and SJ have the real money to embellish their candidature … but SJ might be more keen and might be backed by the City. Plus he has an English wife so all paxtanis and goras will also have their Ombaba moment. :((
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tion-chaos
Race to replace Boris Johnson slow to take shape amid resignation chaos
Analysis: Suella Braverman is lone frontbencher to voice leadership plan as Rishi Sunak, Sajid Javid and others hang back
Heather Stewart Political editor, Thu 7 Jul 2022

Even before Boris Johnson delivered his ill-tempered exit speech, Conservative MPs’ focus had already switched to who might succeed him – and unlike in 2019, when he had been the prince across the water for months, this time there is no obvious successor.
Rishi Sunak, who walked out of the Treasury on Tuesday within minutes of Sajid Javid quitting, had been widely seen as the frontrunner until a series of missteps, including the botched spring statement.
He still performs strongly in polling – not least because he is better known than many of his potential rivals – but after the furore over his US green card, and with some Tories irritated by the rising tax burden on his watch, he now appears much less of a slam dunk.
That lack of an overwhelming favourite is part of the reason a whole slew of candidates, from Grant Shapps to Jake Berry, have not ruled out a tilt at the top job (and, incidentally, helped Johnson to hang on for longer).
Tory leadership races are nothing if not unpredictable: 2017’s saw Michael Gove knock Boris Johnson out of the running, and Andrea Leadsom fold after appearing to suggest that “as a mother” she had a stronger interest in the country’s future than childless Theresa May.
In 2019, frontrunner Johnson was anointed, but only after a lively race that featured Matt Hancock handing out merch branded “Let’s Move Forward”, and Rory Stewart quixotically filming himself nattering to strangers in a campaign he called #Rorywalks.
Already, this nascent race has thrown up surprises. Nadhim Zahawi had been seen as a strong contender before taking the job of chancellor on Tuesday, drawing up plans for a major economic speech next week, then publishing a letter less than 48 hours later urging Johnson to resign. As one senior backbencher put it: “He’s made himself look like a knob.”
Other MPs were warning against writing off Zahawi, the smooth-talking face of the vaccine programme, who already had a campaign plan in place with the aid of Lynton Crosby’s consultancy.
The foreign secretary, Liz Truss, who had been seen as a potential frontrunner, was caught out thousands of miles away at a G20 summit while her rivals were busily signing up supporters on Thursday (some have been doing so quietly for months, of course).
One senior Brexiter suggested some MPs who might have supported Truss were lining up instead for the ardently pro-Brexit attorney general, Suella Braverman. Her backers hope she can play the role meant for Leadsom in 2017 – sneaking through the MPs’ ballot to the final two, and then wooing the party’s rightwing grassroots members.
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Cyrano wrote:Politico's take on BoJo's exit
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/0 ... y-00044455
"He had a special knack for insulting world leaders — winning a competition for writing the most offensive poem about President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan that referenced the Turkish leader having sex with a goat."
I should have liked BoJo, even though he stole the line from BRF. Khusboo is more appropriate for Pakistan, but I do not begrudge him that.
Gautam
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... fall-glee/
Russia waves goodbye to ‘unprofessional, stupid clown’ Boris Johnson
"We would like to hope that some day in Great Britain, more professional people who can make decisions through dialogue will come to power," said Dmitry Peskov, Vladimir Putin’s spokesman. "But at the moment there is little hope for that.
Elsewhere, an adviser to Volodymyr Zelensky, the Ukrainian president, has praised Boris Johnson for standing up to "Russian evil", in the first official Ukrainian reaction to his resignation on Thursday.

His government was one of the first to send lethal aid to Ukraine in the days before the war.

The NLAW anti-tank missiles it provided have been widely credited with helping defeat Russia’s attack on Kyiv in February and March.
Mr Johnson claimed credit for leading the Western response to Russia's invasion in his resignation speech, adding: "Let me say now to the people in Ukraine that I know that we in the UK will continue to back your fight for freedom as long as it takes."

The government's Ukraine policy is backed by all parties in the House of Commons and is unlikely to change under a new prime minister.

However, it has won Mr Johnson widespread popularity in Ukraine, where soldiers at checkpoints will often greet a British passport with words of praise for the prime minister.

His support for Ukraine has been described as opportunistic, however, with critics noting a correlation between challenges to his leadership and telephone calls to Mr Zelensky.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

read the full thread

https://twitter.com/BehavinAint/status/ ... 15YSYECDSw : A lot of people seem to be really struggling to grasp exactly what the Tories have become. It's no mystery to me- I've seen them up close, at work and play, and I think you guys need to understand what we're dealing with. A thread
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

What? did BoJo(b) lose his job too? That's like their 3rd PM in 5-6 years. Did the Russkis interfere in British elections too? Damn those vodka guzzling bears.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

WA

It's great that the British are discovering how difficult it is to get rid of British rule
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

chetak wrote:WA
It's great that the British are discovering how difficult it is to get rid of British rule
There are a lot of NRIs and Indian origin persons in Bartannia right... maybe a local new-age 'Brown on the outside, white inside' Gandhi will arise to help them cast off the imperial yolk
S_Madhukar
BRFite

Post by S_Madhukar »

Rony wrote:read the full thread

https://twitter.com/BehavinAint/status/ ... 15YSYECDSw : A lot of people seem to be really struggling to grasp exactly what the Tories have become. It's no mystery to me- I've seen them up close, at work and play, and I think you guys need to understand what we're dealing with. A thread
Brilliant!
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Excellent !
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

g.sarkar wrote:
Cyrano wrote:Politico's take on BoJo's exit
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/0 ... y-00044455
"He had a special knack for insulting world leaders — winning a competition for writing the most offensive poem about President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan that referenced the Turkish leader having sex with a goat."
I should have liked BoJo, even though he stole the line from BRF. Khusboo is more appropriate for Pakistan, but I do not begrudge him that.
Gautam
Boris probably has had similar experience as he is of Turk descent himself. His paternal great grandfather was Ali Kemal the Grand Vizier of the last Ottoman Emperor (Abdul Hamid?). He fled to the UK and married an Englishwoman but then returned to Turkey and was executed by the Young Turks. His widow reverted to her English surname of Johnson.

Boris' first wife divorced him due to his infidelity. She said of him, "he had an oriental view of marriage" probably hinting at his ancestry. His second wife Shireen Wheeler, was half Indian, which is why he has visited India (privately) many times and has Indian relatives.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I actually rather liked the old chap. Son of privilege who never grew up and all.