Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Avarachan
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Avarachan »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40227270
Prime ministers, in a more understated manner, have also come to believe in British exceptionalism, the idea that Westminster is the mother parliament, and that the UK has a governing model and liberal values that set the global standard for others to follow, not least its former colonies.

In the post-war Anglo-American order those ideas came together. In many ways, it was the product of Anglo-American exceptionalist thinking: the "city upon a hill" meets "this sceptred isle". Nato, the IMF, the World Bank and the Five Eyes intelligence community all stemmed from the Atlantic Charter signed by Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Winston Churchill in August 1941.

The liberalised free trade system that flourished after the war is often called the Anglo-Saxon model. The post-world global architecture, diplomatic, mercantile and financial, was largely an English-speaking construct.

In recent weeks, however, the Anglo-American order has looked increasingly weak and wobbly. The unexpectedly messy result of the British election makes it look still more fragile, like a historic edifice left tottering in the wake of a major quake.
There is uncertainty in Westminster, and something nearing chaos in Washington because of Russian probe at the White House and on Capitol Hill.

Neither Britain nor America can boast strong and stable governments. Neither have the look of global exemplars ....

For Britain, the diplomatic impact of Brexit has also become clearer in recent weeks. EU leaders have bluntly outlined how they will set the terms of the divorce settlement, in what looks more and more like a diktat than an amicable separation.
The 27 remaining members of the EU have also made it clear they intend to penalise the UK. When Jean-Claude Juncker met Theresa May at Downing Street shortly after she called the election, he was evidently dismayed by her approach.

"I'm leaving Downing Street 10 times more sceptical than I was before," the EU Commission president reportedly informed his host.
As one senior EU diplomat put it to me: "Britain has shot itself in one foot. We intend to shoot you in the other."

The British prime minister, by failing to win an election she didn't have to call, has weakened her bargaining position still further. Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt has already called the UK election: "Yet another own goal." ....

These English-speaking nations no longer speak with such a clarion voice, and the rest of the world no longer takes such heed.
A new world order seems to be emerging that is being articulated in other tongues.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The vultures are circling and historic animosities will be quietly dredged up and acted upon and retribution will be extracted under the guise of the brexit settlement.

britan and indeed the EU are just middling powers whose economies will take a palpable hit if they can no longer freeload on the amreki nuke umbrella and all that this umbrella entails.

The forced and increased defence spending by the EU members and also the urgent need to fill the vacuum created by the new amreki approach of inward-looking, protectionist and increasingly isolationist foreign policy will precipate old rivalries that were hitherto well hidden and thus far suppressed.

The EU will also seek to neuter the UK, both economically as well as politically so it can concentrate on the threat from Putin's russia.

india needs to be wary of both sides in this fratricidal fallout as both sides are equally poisonous in terms of their capacity to interfere in our internal affairs and encourage the BIF already active here.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

UlanBatori wrote:This is my question too: WHY should clearing houses be located inside cramped, smelly, pea-soup-fogged, paki-infested, rude London? They don't have a common currency with anyone except the Falklands, they can't multiply and divide by 10. ...
It's the courts and legal system. The same system that gives Mallya a free pass. Which banker wouldn't like to part of that? Besides the egregiousness in the Mallya case, well, there is some merit in "Common Law" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law which makes it more adaptable and sympathetic/"just" than a pure rules based system which humans were never designed for.

And it's the fact that this system has been in place for 300+ years, and even today arguments can be made with precedents drawn from antiquity. Finance is a reputation based business, and for various reasons London has wrested a decent position. Not to say that things can't move - for instance I believe a lot of Forex trading has been driven from India in the past decade, and rise of Singapore/HK (in some ways proxies of UK) shows new entrants are possible.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Hope PM Modi used the opportunity on his recent Euro tour and offered Mumbai,Chennai as clearing center for EU .
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

JE Menon wrote:Only consistent answer I could get on that above question of yours UB, the first question is the English language. If the Germans or the French make English a compulsory second language it's finito for CoL. Now, here's another interesting tidbit from that most under-noticed of countries, the Netherlands: there almost everyone young and educated has a very good grasp of the English language, and often speak it reasonably and they have no hang-ups about it. Guess what a lot of business is apparently shifting to Amsterdam. Ditto the Scandinavians where English is spoken widely, freely and unabashedly... I expect leakage from CoL disproportionately to Amsterdam (which is also much more liveable) and to a lesser extent to Sweden...

But let's see how the Brits play it. They may walk the whole thing back still, though I don't see it happening myself.
Could also be network effect like the Silicon Valley - critical mass of skilled manpower. There are tech hubs elsewhere, some built from people moving from the valley to more livable places. Nothing seems to beat the valley though.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Prem wrote:Hope PM Modi used the opportunity on his recent Euro tour and offered Mumbai,Chennai as clearing center for EU .

if he did, they would have turfed him out immediately.

That is a pie that they all want all for their white skinned selves only.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Massive 27 story apt. block totally on fire in London.Fears of hundreds of casualties.'70's Blg. was under renovation.

John Major: Tory-DUP deal risks jeopardising Northern Ireland peace
Former PM warns Theresa May against seeking alliance with unionist party as its leader says negotiations going well
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... land-peace

Tory-DUP deal still not sealed.The DUP tail will wag toe Tory poodle very vigorously,to further their own narrow sectarian interests in NI.This may impact upon the power sharing agreement between the DUP and Sinn Fein. Complicating the issue is the free border between the Irish Republic and N Ireland,part of the UK.If Britain eventually leaves the EU,what will happen to the border in Ireland with the Republic still part of the EU?
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Chetak ji, Thanks for linking Ashok Malik's tweet. I do not agree needless to say. I find its very funny for someone who does not live in UK making a comment about how UK committed suicide twice. Lutyens truly makes you immune from vargaries of real life. Anyway I prefer not to make others 'opinions' my 'decisions'.
ramana wrote:Kill and hand out flowers. Why not turn in the attackers to police?

The Economist US correspondent was summing up the post election results scenario.

He said :
1) May is very much wounded and wont last for full term. Its matter of time only.
2) DUP is giving outside support. That means can pull down anytime.
3) A bunch of second rung Conservatives are lining up
4) Even SNP leader wants the job!!!
5) UK people want single market access without paying the price
This is the biggest hurdle.
The normal Tory voter- who is more often than not well educated and probably relatively well off, hate DUP. If they are Irish they are even more disgusted that Tories will accept support of DUP. DUP is to the right of Republican tea party. Says it all.

IMO UK wont leave EU. They will do everything to prevent the exit. If UK demands they leave, the EU will make a fine example of this. Why? They will want to show if 'rich' UK couldn't do it, what hope do you not so rich nations have?

The Tories are now a divided lot.

1. Pro EU Tories who want to run minority government- David Davis
2. Pro Eu Tories who want DUP support - Teresa May
3. Anti EU Tories who want to run minority government - Boris Johnson
4. Pro EU Tories who are the old guard but have no say at the moment - Osborne,

With Corbyn owning Labour like Blair did, it will be a hard slog for a true unifier. Without a unifiying presence, Corbyn will be back and probably with a bigger majority. These are truly bad times for blighty. What it needs IMO is one economic down turn and TM is gone forever.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Apart from English language, the legal process in London and other support mechanisms for financial services is much more developed than in any other place. There is also a general attraction towards London as city with rich history and right mix of modernity. People still gravitate towards such things. So, developing another EU city for that purpose will take time and London will definitely put up a fight. I can't any other EU city grabbing wholesale what London has to offer. Some bits will definitely go, but no where near complete transfer of things.

So, the as a financial centre London will be up there for some more time irrespective of Brexit negotiations outcome.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

It's the courts and legal system. The same system that gives Mallya a free pass. Which banker wouldn't like to part of that?
That makes sense. It's like why Mumbai was the preferred center for Haji Mastan & Co., Purveyors of Gold, By Appointment to (never mind) back in the 1960s.

The 1990s currency manipulation that shattered the economies of S. Korea and other "Pacific Tigers" is a case in point. Singapore's problem is that they have a bad reputation for extreme "law enforcement". Chennai meets the qualification of "chote-chote-bacche bhi angreji mein baat karte hain" and that too in the worst Brish1t accent. My Lenovo cellphone navigation (phone was specified and bought by nephew/Mrs. nephew in desh) comes with a desi bibi's voice.
Make a right turn on to One thousand five hundred and fifty-seventh street and then Take the Slip Road
:eek: {A baad thing to tell a terrified driver trying to navigate Northern Mongolian roads in winter} From time to time her Clueless American Sistah will come on with a blunt
TURN RIGHT!
Point is, India has the ppl power, the angreji (and hey, if u want French or Polynesian or Mandarin, I am sure there will be trainable ppl available just as much). The laws are pretty hopeless for now. If you do one stock purchase for say $100, you get a minimum of SIX statements by email. And that BEFORE the bank moves its behind to start paying the money from ur strangely named PIS* account. And forget about Mutual Funds. India seriously needs Modi ishytle to visit the stock market rules and make India credible as a clearing house for anything. And per transaction expenses will be much lower in India when those things are fixed, so profit margin for the clearing house will be huge.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Avarachan wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40227270
Prime ministers, in a more understated manner, have also come to believe in British exceptionalism, the idea that Westminster is the mother parliament, and that the UK has a governing model and liberal values that set the global standard for others to follow, not least its former colonies.

{And Gungadins in Indian Congress perpetuated this exceptionalism.}

In the post-war Anglo-American order those ideas came together. In many ways, it was the product of Anglo-American exceptionalist thinking: the "city upon a hill" meets "this sceptred isle". Nato, the IMF, the World Bank and the Five Eyes intelligence community all stemmed from the Atlantic Charter signed by Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Winston Churchill in August 1941.

The liberalised free trade system that flourished after the war is often called the Anglo-Saxon model. The post-world global architecture, diplomatic, mercantile and financial, was largely an English-speaking construct.

In recent weeks, however, the Anglo-American order has looked increasingly weak and wobbly. The unexpectedly messy result of the British election makes it look still more fragile, like a historic edifice left tottering in the wake of a major quake.
There is uncertainty in Westminster, and something nearing chaos in Washington because of Russian probe at the White House and on Capitol Hill.

Neither Britain nor America can boast strong and stable governments. Neither have the look of global exemplars ....

{The fundamental problem is behind the American Deep State is the English Deep Pockets of London financial district!}

For Britain, the diplomatic impact of Brexit has also become clearer in recent weeks. EU leaders have bluntly outlined how they will set the terms of the divorce settlement, in what looks more and more like a diktat than an amicable separation.
The 27 remaining members of the EU have also made it clear they intend to penalise the UK. When Jean-Claude Juncker met Theresa May at Downing Street shortly after she called the election, he was evidently dismayed by her approach.

"I'm leaving Downing Street 10 times more sceptical than I was before," the EU Commission president reportedly informed his host.
As one senior EU diplomat put it to me: "Britain has shot itself in one foot. We intend to shoot you in the other."

The British prime minister, by failing to win an election she didn't have to call, has weakened her bargaining position still further. Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt has already called the UK election: "Yet another own goal." ....

{Brexit will hit the financial more than the diplomatic. UK was already diminished on the diplomatic front a s foil for US interests in EU. And this hit to deep pockets will impact the Deep State in US.}

These English-speaking nations no longer speak with such a clarion voice, and the rest of the world no longer takes such heed.
A new world order seems to be emerging that is being articulated in other tongues.
I had said June ends May!!!!
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Almost UK news, it was on the cards and now for real.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40266513

Leo Varadkar elected as Republic of Ireland's taoiseach

"A parliamentary vote confirmed the 38-year-old as the country's youngest, and first gay, leader, by 57 votes to 50, with 47 abstentions. The former GP, who is the son of an Irish nurse and a doctor from India, won the Fine Gael party leadership earlier this month."

Anyone up for calling him a coconut or congratulating him on his achievement. Personally, good on him and the constituency that elected him without reservation to either his heritage or orientation.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

I agree that Germany/France/Italy/etc will take revenge on Britain for engineering WWI and similar machinations over the centuries. Because the British refused to repent of their crimes, karma is catching up to them.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If the UK's economy shrinks significantly, the UK won't be able to maintain its nuclear arsenal. That would change the world's geo-political architecture.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Jeremy Corbyn is anyway against trident. So, its only matter of time before the whole political establishment finds it as a colossal waste.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... commitment
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

Avarachan wrote:I agree that Germany/France/Italy/etc will take revenge on Britain for engineering WWI and similar machinations over the centuries. Because the British refused to repent of their crimes, karma is catching up to them.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If the UK's economy shrinks significantly, the UK won't be able to maintain its nuclear arsenal. That would change the world's geo-political architecture.
UK, US, France, Germany are pseudo military states. If UK economy is on the brink of losing nuclear arsenal they would create enough chaos to make good use of them
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

As safe havens of wealth the western cycle runs on creating controlled chaos in rich elite areas to sell arms and flush out elite wealth to Western nodes for safe custody
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Avarachan wrote:I agree that Germany/France/Italy/etc will take revenge on Britain for engineering WWI and similar machinations over the centuries. Because the British refused to repent of their crimes, karma is catching up to them.

nuke arsenal is a far cry.

they will not be able to maintain their "paki jehadi on welfare" population in their accustomed style and that will lead to severe law and order issues when welfare and other benefits are cut across the board.

the US will not come to their aid so easily or even generously as it will seek to replace brit markets in the ME and other high-value markets around the world.

trump is a realtor and like all others of his tribe, he will kick you only when you are down. It is just business, nothing personal.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

V.good piece.Explains why voters are deserting the Tories even in posh places.Just wait a while,it'll be another famous quote: "Et tu Boris? Then fall Theresa!"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/gen ... 87391.html

Why bankers and billionaires in Kensington turned away from the Tories – and why it'll probably stay that way

Kensington has changed. Yes, it’s demographically diverse, but even among the wealthiest of the super-rich, support for what the Conservative Party – or what it has become – has faded. As a Kensington resident myself, I saw it happen

"Worzel Gummidge",aka Jeremy Corbyn is on a roll.Latest polls show that if another election was held soon,Labour would romp home with him as leader.
The tragic London/Kensington tower block fire is being added to the list of Tory debacles and neglects. "How can such a thing happen in 21st century Britain?" is what is on almost everyone's lip[s,since Britain is supposed to have one of the world's most stringent fire regulations. A British relative of mine,veteran firefighter/instructor/intl.consultant,used to tell me how stringent the regulations and inspections were. Standards have dropped radically,and this terrible tragedy is being seen as a reflection of Britain's falling standards esp. tx. to Tory crony-capitalist profiteering at the expense of the white-collar middle class and working class.

Hilarious reading.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... de-country
Gove, Johnson and Cameron: the boys are back in town
Marina Hyde
You have to salute the inventiveness of the Tories who keep finding new ways to divide the country. This is part South Park, part Alice in Wonderland
‘Currently, the foreign secretary is feigning reunification with Michael Gove, who described the Good Friday agreement as a ‘moral stain’, and last year stood by those comments.’

Wednesday 14 June 2017 15.28 BST Last modified on Wednesday 14 June 2017 21.31 BST
From power-sharing to power-shoring – congratulations will soon be in order for the DUP. Like many people, you may be looking forward to spending the next weeks and months getting to know Arlene Foster. If you hadn’t told me she was leader of the DUP, I’d say Arlene has the sort of face that might accompany a news story about a raid on a farm which contains the quote: “I’ve got nothing to say - all the men were given meals and caravan shelter in return for their work”.

Still, after John Major’s warning on Tuesday that any deal with the DUP would put peace in Northern Ireland in peril, we have to salute the sheer inventiveness of the Tories, who keep finding new ways to divide the country. At this rate, they won’t rest until every single Briton has been placed at 65m separate positions along a political spectrum, and is violently opposed to people even two points either side of them. That will be the moment for Boris Johnson to claim that only he can unite the country.

A Tory-DUP deal is a destructive pact that makes no sense at all

Currently, the foreign secretary is feigning reunification with Michael Gove, who described the Good Friday agreement as a “moral stain”, and last year stood by those comments. But that’s not important right now – because it’s time to fire up Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back In Town! Is the old gang really back together? Well. Michael-and-Boris was only ever a bromance in the Cain and Abel mould, and Gove gave some hint as to the vast depth of the reconciliation between him and Boris when he explained: “He was kind enough to welcome me back to cabinet with a very generous tweet.” If only Michael had stopped there. “We haven’t yet physically embraced or rolled in the hay,” he elaborated to Five Live, “but Boris has been nothing but warm and generous with me.”

My apologies if you’re enjoying the Season 2 sexual tension simmer. But watching cabinet ministers write their own slash fiction is even more appallingly modern than watching superheroes talk about their feelings. I’d really rather not. I’d prefer if they just got on with the business of screwing the rest of us and were on their way.

Obviously, the main upside to Gove’s return is that it revives a particular strain of Daily Mail columns by his wife Sarah Vine, which turn out to be resistant to an 11-month spell in the wilderness. Wednesday’s was an instant classic, containing all the backstage goss on how Michael answered the phone to her in a funny voice when he was waiting to see May in No 10, as well as the revelation that Sarah regards herself as “if not at the front line of British politics, then definitely hanging out behind the bike sheds”. A reminder to us all: in the Tory party school, the Gove-Vines are the cool kids. Sarah and Michael are Judd Nelson in the Breakfast Club, Christian Slater in Heathers, Kenickie in Grease, Tim Riggins in Friday Night Lights, Archie in Riverdale. They’re the entire cast of Skins. And if you’ve found a more credible explanation for a whole series of clinically delusional Conservative education policies, I’d love to hear it.

As for our bloodstained prom queen, Theresa May is suffering the indignity of being invited to eat shit in a column by her newest employee’s wife. As Sarah kindly explains: “The party does at least have a leader who, for all her mistakes, has had the grace to apologise, to accept that a tough lesson has been learned – and put the wider good of the country ahead of personal pride.” Oof. If May were in any position to follow the Alex Ferguson playbook, that is the moment to decide to sell Gove to Real Madrid.

But, of course, she isn’t in any position. Instead, the prime minister has to listen to lectures from Sarah Vine, David Cameron and various other terrible people who now send their godchildren birthday presents via lawyers.

Cameron himself has moved on from tweeting pictures of his pedicure to speaking at a business conference in Poland, where on Tuesday he had various bits of advice for Theresa May. These days, Dave seems to function as a sort of highly paid Captain Hindsight. If you haven’t seen the brilliant South Park episodes which introduce us to this very modern superhero, he’s a guy who shows up after a catastrophe and explains how things could have been done differently to avoid it. Or as Cameron intoned to a room of people doubtless filling time between escorts: Theresa should listen more to other parties, and parliament deserves a say on Brexit. Thanks so much, Captain Hindsight.

Oops, David Cameron has put his foot in it again
Barbara Ellen

If only we could rely more on Cameron turning up to make these important interventions after foul-ups that were in significant part precipitated by him. Could someone fashion a twat-signal that could be placed on the House of Commons roof, allowing whoever is Commissioner Gordon in this metaphor to switch it on and summon Cameron out of his £25,000 Farrow and Ball batshed ? Picture the sky lit up with the words: “£100,000 Singapore speaking engagement and spa break – cash 4 gold?” Until then, we must await the precise terms of any Conservative-Arkham deal with interest.

For now, I assume there’s a Reddit page that hosts fan theories as to what is actually happening in British politics. Is it like Lost – is our island moving? Through time as well as space? Or is it more of a Stranger Things situation? Are we in the political upside down? Even the EU parliament’s Brexit coordinator, Guy Verhofstadt, is offering supernatural metaphors, declaring on Wednesday: “Yesterday, Emmanuel Macron, the new French president, spoke about an open door. That if Britain changes its mind it would find an open door. I agree. But like Alice in Wonderland, not all the doors are the same.”

What are you saying, Guy? That the UK is in a situation where it would literally be preferable to wake up on a riverbank and find itself being looked at very closely by Lewis Carroll? I think that’s a bit strong, sir. But a few more days of this and it’ll be tougher to argue.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

UlanBatori wrote:This is my question too: WHY should clearing houses be located inside cramped, smelly, pea-soup-fogged, paki-infested, rude London?
The clearing house is actually a computer, I'm sure you know that? So, why do traders all over the world use it? Simple, one word, TRUST. Why? Because the company that runs the clearing house knows what its doing, has captured a huge amount of volume / market share, offers a service that is cheap and reliable, and most importantly, makes sure that everyone gets what's their due from a given trade. That's why traders use a clearing house rather than trade directly with each other. The company that runs the clearing house can domicile its operation anywhere, even in Mongolia, if traders trusted Mongolian law. English Law is trusted.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

UlanBatori wrote:This is my question too: WHY should clearing houses be located inside cramped, smelly, pea-soup-fogged, paki-infested, rude London?
More than trust, they are there where they are
1. because they have been there, when markets were not computerized then it made sense to have them close to the empire where the sun didnt set
2. better in great london than the slum infected dharavi, lice infected shanghai or under the haughty japanese katana because of language issues
3. i dont think i need to tell the AI masquerading as yak herder about data protection laws
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

The down side of having such an embarrassingly large market share in finance and clearing houses?

The only way go is down. And I do see that happening surely if slowly. No reason why a switzerland or at least a luxemberg can't assume the city of london legal infrastructure.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Ah! Speaking of Switzerland and Luxembourg, I think both of those are even more deserving of a rapid downhill ski. Vestiges of the past. "Run as smoothly as a Swiss Watch". :roll: I have nooo idea what Luxembourg does except that they have decided that they will be the next great Space power. Huge full-page or multi-page ads on how "The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg" was going into Space. Reminded me of the Grand Duchy of Fenwich in "Mouse On The Moon". One of the best movies of all time.

These "Clearing Houses" are waiting to have their clocks cleaned by BlockChain clearing, which will be done out of some huge server colony dunked in a tank 100 feet below ocean level. Ppl working on it can be distributed all over the world, they can be in Mel Madura Mangalam (Pop. 932) north of Kancheepuram just as well as in downtown Londonistan.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

switzerland lacks the political clout of the UK and deep 'connections' with the GOTUS . the US was able to armtwist them into handing over a lot of data. plus its less cosmopolitan, less globally connected and zurich/geneva have very high cost of living. the system is not just the overlords who run the show but mid and low level underlings too which would be easier to find and keep in london or nyc than switzerland. london also has a big legal and insurance sector. having these things together at scale creates good efficiency and synergy as is seen in SV for IT industry . if you want global trade both legal and semi-legal then london/nyc is best. if you want to bury some ill gotten treasure for decades then perhaps a vault in switzerland

the swiss are not exactly welcoming of all but the very wealthy immigrant.

for these very reasons and the unwillingness to extradite anyone, the russian oligarchs, deposed monarchs and fugitive industrialists all head to london to start a new life . US is not so easy entry and has a tendency not to entertain asylum requests unless it really suits them. HMG is happy to take its share of the cut and keep almost any economic fugitive incl small fry like mallyaji

london is built on a base of 1000 years of political and intellectual stability in UK. and also its the only megacity in UK. so it will continue to attract people and do well.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Why not Frankfurt though? Or Paris? Or Amsterdam? I personally favour the last.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Clearing is a small part of London as a financial centre. There is the FX market , bond trading, Eurobonds and often forgotten asset management. A huge part of Europe's savings are managed in London. London is the financial capital of the world. Why - legacy , colonial advantages, victory in wars etc for a large part and that leads to massive network effects. People congregate here not in Berlin or Paris. And don't forget that a lot of people live in the Home Counties which are much less smelly than London and commute.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

CBI is denying delay in Evidence, Possible that the Crown Prosecution Service , UK judges and Judical proccess are protection Mallya, I am sure he flying in out of the UK even though his Indian Passport based on which he has international travel rights has been cancelled.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 29--1.html
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^^
Aditya, Mallya flew out of India in March 2016 on an Indian passport, when his financial troubles were already very well known. CBI could well have confiscated his passport before he left the country: why didn't they do so? Mallya was a member of the Rajya Sabha in India and the banks that he borrowed money from were also all Indian i.e. his collaborators, political protectors, and people with a lot to lose if he spills the beans are mainly if not all located in India. If anyone has something to gain by keeping Mallya quiet and in the UK, it's the Indian political establishment, not the UK political establishment, or whatever passes for it these days.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

eklavya wrote:^^^^^
Aditya, Mallya flew out of India in March 2016 on an Indian passport, when his financial troubles were already very well known. CBI could well have confiscated his passport before he left the country: why didn't they do so? Mallya was a member of the Rajya Sabha in India and the banks that he borrowed money from were also all Indian i.e. his collaborators, political protectors, and people with a lot to lose if he spills the beans are mainly if not all located in India. If anyone has something to gain by keeping Mallya quiet and in the UK, it's the Indian political establishment, not the UK political establishment, or whatever passes for it these days.
Yes but there Judical precedents Priya Pillai case etc. His collaborators are well known, In fact one of the sons of his collaborators also flew to UK for some time.

Apart from some of the looted wealth why is the UK keeping a man without a passport in the UK, would any AAM AADMI be given such a treatment? Why many of BRF find it difficult many of European tax havens have vested interest in Indian corruption and and funds many corrupt persons, Arab Regimes are what keep many of these Global Financial centres up and running.

No doubt some part of India's Babudom, Previous political dispensation, some in the current establishment, Judiciary, Banking personal and Judicial process are involved but why give a clean chit UK and political system which seems equally corrupt in the stashing of Indian black money?
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

The counsel representing India in the Malaya case said that he is still waiting for evidence.
“We have not received final evidence,” Watkins admitted. He also submitted no date has been provided as to when this would come. He further informed the magistrate that additional charges – which he clarified as being over and above the original accusation of Mallya having committed fraud securing a facility for his now-defunct airline from IDBI Bank in India – had not arrived, either.
http://wap.business-standard.com/articl ... 082_1.html

First the CBI let him go, and now they are not providing evidence on time.

Blaming the UK for this situation is plain denial of the obvious.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

^^ You are obviously unaware but you cannot expel an individual from the UK because his passport is expired provided his entry was legal. As already pointed out, if his movement was that important, why was his passport not impounded in India?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^^ why cannot the indian consulate send him a fresh passport by registered post? they know where he lives.

if a interpol red corner is on him, is the destination country outside UK obliged to hold him?http://www.businesstoday.in/current/eco ... 52838.html

hope interpol does the needful. that will ground this high flyer - pun intended.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Forgive me but what would that achieve?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^^ if at all his expired passport is a problem in extraditing.

by that account do illegal migrants who tear their passports in the toilet flush just before landing in LHR/police raid also get be out on bail rather than in a immigration jail if they can raise the money ?

he is out on a 650,000 pound bail which is a huge money. earning a tidy interest in some escrow a/c for HMG :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

another knife munna caught outside parliament
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/ ... 36x382.jpg
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

eklavya wrote:The counsel representing India in the Malaya case said that he is still waiting for evidence.
“We have not received final evidence,” Watkins admitted. He also submitted no date has been provided as to when this would come. He further informed the magistrate that additional charges – which he clarified as being over and above the original accusation of Mallya having committed fraud securing a facility for his now-defunct airline from IDBI Bank in India – had not arrived, either.
http://wap.business-standard.com/articl ... 082_1.html

First the CBI let him go, and now they are not providing evidence on time.

Blaming the UK for this situation is plain denial of the obvious.
Who is Counsel- someone appointed by the Indian Goverment - No Crown prosecution Service - Sarkari lawyers of the British Government. They are not private lawyers hired by the Indian Government. The so called extradition proceedings is in full control of the British Government.

CBI did not "Let him go" Indian Judiciary did with various Judicial pronouncements literally taking away Government powers to stop people from flying expect direct violent crime.

It is because people like Mallya have get away card by safe haven like UK they are upto fraud. UK banks including so called TAX havens have no bussiness to keep fraudulent money. If not Mallya atleast his and Children controlled entities which have been benefitted from transfer from KFA money should be repatriated. They wont do that. Why this love for UK?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I am on Mallya's side. His airline was the best I have seen in India, though some/most of the counter attendants were clueless: used to try and insist that I take my baggage out at Doobai and recheck it to Ulan Bator (absolutely not done in international transfers BTW) until I stood my ground and waited for the one literate guy to be dragged out of bed.

And his beer IS the best.

OK, his cockeyed plan to buy 100 Boeing aircraft flopped in the 2008 general collapse, but it was the collapse of a brave gamble in a global tsunami. What Indian baboos have done is the usual hyena act in which they specialize, stripping him to the bone. I think I am on Brish1tstan side in protecting him (as the amoral hoteliers that they are), though I do wonder about his mansions when his former employees were starving. He had some chutzpah to show up at an India cricket match - was he sitting next to Dawood Ibrahim by any chance?

I think the real problem is that there is no case for extradition because there is no case. India has a long record of thus speeding real entrepreneurs along to Houristan. Recall the case of Rajan, the Malloo bijnejman in Singapore? Died in Delhi jail IIRC. There was no real case against him either.

Media hype is not a legal case. In Mallya's case the govt should have helped him get those airplane orders cancelled by threatening Boeing, and cut his losses.

Perhaps he has some legitimate sympathy at the top levels of GOI, though no politician will be seen as responsible for getting the charges dismissed.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Theresa May is really a dead woman walking. She didn't meet any of the survivors of the tower fire and it hasn't gone too well at all with the public.

I guess, she has lot of more advisors to fire!!

PS: Tower fire is taken as a symbol of everything wrong with UK in 21st century. A certain apathy towards poor has set in which has resulted in tragedy. That is what is being lamented by all.
Rishi Verma
BRFite

Post by Rishi Verma »

Media has made a monster out of Mallaya. Didnt he bring Tipu sword home, his Racing team name is Force India... Its just the bhooka nanga media and other Indians cant handle his flameboyant style... Or young wife.. Now he Has became a political football. CBI is clueless as ever. Until there is a fair trial and he is found guilty, he is innocent.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Singha wrote:^^ if at all his expired passport is a problem in extraditing.

by that account do illegal migrants who tear their passports in the toilet flush just before landing in LHR/police raid also get be out on bail rather than in a immigration jail if they can raise the money ?

he is out on a 650,000 pound bail which is a huge money. earning a tidy interest in some escrow a/c for HMG :)
Correct. That is why immigration officers meet certain high risk flight's passengers at the aircraft door just to confirm existence of their passports.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -7shxj9zjs
Jeremy Corbyn demanded the requisitioning of empty luxury properties to house survivors left homeless by the Grenfell Tower blaze as he called for wholesale social reform in the wake of the disaster.The Labour leader said the fire, which engulfed the council-owned tower in the wealthy London borough of Kensington and Chelsea, had exposed a “tale of two cities”. “Properties must be found, requisitioned if necessary, to make sure those residents do get rehoused locally,” he told a parliamentary debate. “It cannot be acceptable that in London you have luxury buildings and flats kept as land banking for the future while the homeless and the poor look for somewhere to live.”