Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by hnair »

sanjayc wrote:
Additionally, one practices accommodating polytheism (no threat to host country and believes in coexistence) while the other practices totalitarian monotheism (dream of replacing the host country's religion and culture with one's own, and doesn't mind collaborating with hostile foreign agencies / church for this objective). This is what is missed by the goofballs preaching to Indians about being more accepting of Sonia G
sanjayc, I found that these “accepting” types is immune to arguments about Sunak’s religiosity. So they tune out and go back to “will India be accepting a furriner?” rhetoric. My counter is “Will Italy itself accept Sonia as their PM with her lack of qualifications or skills in any domain? Will any western liberal political party allow her to be at the top for 25 years despite election rout after another. If not, why should India accept an incompetent person just to prove its credentials?”.
Kedar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kedar »

sanjayc wrote:
saip wrote:Rishi Sunak was born in the UK while Ms. Maino was born in Italy and did not bother to change her citizenship for decades.
Additionally, one practices accommodating polytheism (no threat to host country and believes in coexistence) while the other practices totalitarian monotheism (dream of replacing the host country's religion and culture with one's own, and doesn't mind collaborating with hostile foreign agencies / church for this objective). This is what is missed by the goofballs preaching to Indians about being more accepting of Sonia G
India does not have a state religion. The word secularism in its official title. Britain does have a state religion (Church of England). It's bishops are appointed to the House of Lords and the Monarch is the head of it. The PM advises the Monarch on the appointments of Bishops. Hence, Catholics and Jews cannot be PM. When this law was established Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists were not on the horizon. Otherwise they would have been excluded as well. Though to be fair its beliefs are not imposed on others. Unlike some other nations especially the peacefool ones.

Tony Blair had to delay his conversion to Catholicism until he left the office. Boris Johnson's revelation that he is a Catholic was like a coming out of the closet type moment.

This all is beyond the understanding of our p-secs.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Kedar wrote:.
Snip...
This all is beyond the understanding of our p-secs.
It's not beyond the understanding. It's used to trigger exactly the kind of discussion that is taking place in India.

That is it's designed to waste time and energy over a non issue. While shaping the narrative.

The right thing to do, is not to engage with such people.

Keep calm and carry on.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Rishi Sunak, A Hindu Come to Judgment

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2022/10/rish ... o-judgment
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

loadshedding on horizon in UK
Winter blackouts could be imposed on British households during very cold days between 4pm and 7pm if the country is unable to import enough gas from Europe, the National Grid’s chief executive has warned.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

A rejoinder to some belittling comments on the British and their new prime minister. Some have rightly drawn comparison with Pakistan.

So Britain has a Hindu prime minister, when can we see a Hindu chief minister in Kashmir? Or Punjab?
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

Some bojitive neevs from al Britannia
Many skip work over hygiene poverty shame, charity says
People's inability to afford essential hygiene products is leaving many too ashamed to go to work, a charity says.

A report suggests 3.2 million UK adults are affected by so-called hygiene poverty - with 12% saying they have avoided facing colleagues as a result.

Their struggle to buy basic items such as soap and deodorant is having a devastating effect on their daily lives, it says.

Hygiene Bank chief executive Ruth Brock said it was a "hidden crisis".

"It's much more widespread than we feared, it's increasing, and it's disproportionately impacting the most vulnerable," she said.

Hygiene Bank works to supply food banks, homeless shelters, schools, and other organisations with items including toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, nappies, period products and laundry detergent.

The charity began in 2018 after founder Lizzy Hall saw the Ken Loach-directed film I, Daniel Blake, which features a scene where a struggling single mother is caught shoplifting sanitary products.

"I think it just doesn't occur to people in the same way that fuel and food poverty do," said Ms Brock.

"But the truth is by the time you're not switching on your heating or you're going to a food bank for food essentials, you've stopped buying essential hygiene products weeks before."

The charity says a survey it carried out with nearly 2,200 people, in partnership with polling company YouGov, suggests the numbers impacted by hygiene poverty equated to 6% of all UK adults, rising to 13% from lower-income households and 21% of disabled people.

Those experiencing hygiene poverty were most likely to go without shaving products, laundry detergent, household cleaning items, and deodorant, the survey found, A quarter of respondents said they had gone without toilet paper or soap or shower gel, while three in ten women did not buy period products.

One woman the charity has worked with, a single mum-of-two named Elaine, described diluting products to make them last longer and tying up her hair in a certain way to hide the fact she often had not washed it for weeks at a time.

She also suffers bouts of acne from being unable to wash her face and feels the need to keep a distance from people for fear that she smells.

Another person said an inability to keep themselves clean had impacted their confidence so much they had begun avoiding social contact, including by not answering their phone.

"It seems counterintuitive," said Brock. "But it's so insidious, you kind of cut yourself off."

The report found that 62% of people experiencing hygiene poverty with dependent children said they have had to choose between buying products for themselves or their children.

"Let's face it, who's going to come first in that scenario?" said Ms Brock.

"This is why we have mums telling us about being ashamed to leave the house and not seeing anyone for weeks on end. And mums telling us that they want to be last at the nursery drop off. Because they're too embarrassed and ashamed to see other parents."

She said Hygiene Bank was able to give the children of one family their own toothbrushes for the first time, and they were so happy they had taken them to bed as if they were new toys.

The data in the report draws on surveys conducted between October 2021 and February 2022, before the recent surge in the cost of living, meaning the pressures described are now likely to be even worse, says the charity.

Data from the Office for National Statistics shows that the price of shampoo has increased by 8% just in the last year, while shower gel is up by 11%.

The price of toothpaste has risen 6%, and the price of deodorant is up 5%.

One student, named as Adam, was a college student whose attendance had fallen to 18%, in part because he could not afford basic hygiene products, and whose grades were suffering as a result.

His support worker approached Hygiene Bank in the summer of 2020 and they were able to provide deodorant and shampoo. Adam's attendance rose to 100%, and he is now attending university.

"Hygiene is important enough," says Ms Brock. "But the follow-on effects of making that change for people also mean that they can then start to access their life chances."
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

It is not new. I suspected this during my frequent travels. Unshaved smelly ,yellow teeth. I Imentioned this before..
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Like my British college ( a ruddy ol' chap) use to say to me in jest " My wife insists I have a bath, once a month, whether I need it or not"
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Is it only me who thinks Rishi is there to get over the economic hump. And is likely to be flushed off once stability returns?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Neela wrote:Is it only me who thinks Rishi is there to get over the economic hump. And is likely to be flushed off once stability returns?
Your concerns are genuine, brits are the originators of the word "racism"
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

What is the reason Sonia Gandhi for not becoming the PM of India

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJvrnb793LI
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Joe Biden congratulates Rasheed Sanook :mrgreen:
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

JE Menon wrote:>>Dead right. In Kenya and the rest of E. Africa, they were Wahindi, Swahili for Indians. When I left Kenya in the 1960s there was no word for Pakistan or Pakistanis in Swahili.

You can be assured that nothing has changed, except that the word has transformed to Muhindi (for Indians) and Muzungu (for whites in general). There is no word for Pakistanis separately, and no one wants to be known as a Pakistani there - for obvious reasons. Kenya is a largely Christian country with a strong traditional culture as well (polygamy is common, even among Christians).

I lived there for 5 years post 2010 and I love East Africa as a whole, and know Tanzania and Uganda reasonably well as well having travelled to each tens of times. Wonderful people, beautiful country and the Indians there (mainly Punjabis and Gujjus, but also others) are an absolutely fantastic and unique bunch.
I was born in Kenya and lived there for the first 17 years of my life. When I finished school, I was barred from attending Uni in Nairobi as I was not a citizen. To be a citizen, two generations had to be Kenyan born, or one had to naturalise. Thus one of my parents would have to naturalise or I would have to apply - which I had to wait until I was 21 to do. I decided to leave.

I speak Swahili reasonably fluently; the term for Indian is Muhindi (singular) or Wahindi (plural when speaking of a group). The Indians in Kenya keep out of the limelight; the long time residents are mostly Kenyan citizens and most have businesses with a Kenyan African to front it so that the Gov and people do not pick on them. My younger brother visited Kenya on a safari four years ago. He spent a day in Nairobi and in that time he only saw two Indian people. He was surprised as when we grew up in Eastleigh, the rough part of town, about half the population was Asian the rest was African. His view was that Asians who were still there had moved to upmarket areas which are safer. This is confirmed by my former headmaster (American born), now nearly ninety.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Lisa wrote:What is the reason Sonia Gandhi for not becoming the PM of India

She was not born in India.
Otherwise there was thisintersting stuff by Subramanyan ji. It on net.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Lisa wrote:What is the reason Sonia Gandhi for not becoming the PM of India

As I recall, (I don't have any citations) she remained an Italian long after her marriage. There was even a rumor that she was planning to pack up and relocate to Italy after Congress Party's defeat in the 1977 election. The problem was the family didn't have any money! After Sanjay Gandhi's death when it became clear that Rajiv would play a major role in the Government it became untenable that she would continue to remain a foreigner. So she applied for Indian citizenship. Under the Indian Citizenship Act, it was permissible for a foreigner to apply for citizenship while continuing to remain a citizen of another country. But the person must give an undertaking that he/she will renounce citizenship of the other country within 6 months of grant of Indian citizenship. If that person had not taken any steps to renounce foreign citizenship within the stipulated time, Indian citizenship automatically stands revoked. Even though she was granted Indian citizenship the second clause of grant of citizenship was not gone through with. As a result the Indian citizenship stands forfeited. But it hasn't quite been tested legally.
For what it is worth, when BBC reported the murder of Indira Gandhi in 1984 and the President Zail Singh appointed Rajiv Gandhi as Prime Minister, it referred to him as married to an Italian.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

rsingh wrote:It is not new. I suspected this during my frequent travels. Unshaved smelly ,yellow teeth. I Imentioned this before..
I recently got crowded out at a mall entrance by a largish bunch of tented abrahamics who streamed past me at close quarters.

The phenomena of corporeal odor was as relentless as it was overpowering.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>I speak Swahili reasonably fluently; the term for Indian is Muhindi (singular) or Wahindi (plural when speaking of a group).

I stand corrected. I have only heard the singular version used in general terms for Indians. Regarding Eastleigh, I don't know when you were there, but between 2012-2018, it had become a very rough neighbourhood dominated by Muslim Somalis - though I'm not sure they were the population majority in that area. In my years there, I went there only once.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

JE Menon wrote:>>I speak Swahili reasonably fluently; the term for Indian is Muhindi (singular) or Wahindi (plural when speaking of a group).

I stand corrected. I have only heard the singular version used in general terms for Indians. Regarding Eastleigh, I don't know when you were there, but between 2012-2018, it had become a very rough neighbourhood dominated by Muslim Somalis - though I'm not sure they were the population majority in that area. In my years there, I went there only once.
Replying to clarify something you mentioned in your first post - that Kenyan Africans are Christian. There is a large Muslim minority (a regional majority in my day) on the Coast where Omani Arabs had been colonising for about four or five centuries before European appearance. The Arabs actually moved their Sultanate to Zanzibar for a period before being overthrown and merging with Tanganyika to become Tanzania.

Most of NE Kenya was desert and inhabited by nomadic people, the most numerous being Somali. After the troubles in Somalia many Somalis migrated into Kenya and settled in Eastleigh replacing the departed Asians. It became even more dangerous than before.

The motto of Kenya is "Harambee!". Kenyans will tell you that it means "Pull together" in Swahili. The Mombasa - Uganda Railway was built around 1890 to 1910 by Indian labourers (mostly Gujrati). As they hauled the rails into place the Gujrati labourers chanted "Hare Ambe". I am told that Ambe is tthe Gujrati name for Lakhsmi. The watching Africans thought they were chanting "pull together" and it went into the Swahili language.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

chetak wrote:
rsingh wrote:It is not new. I suspected this during my frequent travels. Unshaved smelly ,yellow teeth. I Imentioned this before..
I recently got crowded out at a mall entrance by a largish bunch of tented abrahamics who streamed past me at close quarters.

The phenomena of corporeal odor was as relentless as it was overpowering.
There is a reason why public baths were a common feature in the 19th Century. The English simply didn't believe in daily bathing. James Clavell's novel, Taipan had one of the characters cursing about the oppressive humidity of the tropics. His antagonist had adapted by having a daily bath and clothing himself in light silks!
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Aldonkar wrote:
The motto of Kenya is "Harambee!". Kenyans will tell you that it means "Pull together" in Swahili. The Mombasa - Uganda Railway was built around 1890 to 1910 by Indian labourers (mostly Gujrati). As they hauled the rails into place the Gujrati labourers chanted "Hare Ambe". I am told that Ambe is the Gujrati name for Lakhsmi. The watching Africans thought they were chanting "pull together" and it went into the Swahili language.
Have learnt something today. Thank you.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Aldonkar wrote:...
The motto of Kenya is "Harambee!". Kenyans will tell you that it means "Pull together" in Swahili. The Mombasa - Uganda Railway was built around 1890 to 1910 by Indian labourers (mostly Gujrati). As they hauled the rails into place the Gujrati labourers chanted "Hare Ambe". I am told that Ambe is tthe Gujrati name for Lakhsmi.The watching Africans thought they were chanting "pull together" and it went into the Swahili language.
Goddess Ambika or Amba mata (Divine Mother) is a name of Adi Shakti, Shakti or Durga, the consort of Sadashiva (Mahadev/Shankar), the Cosmic Male.

Forms/Incarnations of Ambe maa - Wiki - Ambika

On the other hand, Goddess Lakshmi is the consort of Bhagwan Vishnu.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Manish_P wrote:
Aldonkar wrote:...
The motto of Kenya is "Harambee!". Kenyans will tell you that it means "Pull together" in Swahili. The Mombasa - Uganda Railway was built around 1890 to 1910 by Indian labourers (mostly Gujrati). As they hauled the rails into place the Gujrati labourers chanted "Hare Ambe". I am told that Ambe is tthe Gujrati name for Lakhsmi.The watching Africans thought they were chanting "pull together" and it went into the Swahili language.
Goddess Ambika or Amba mata (Divine Mother) is a name of Adi Shakti, Shakti or Durga, the consort of Sadashiva (Mahadev/Shankar), the Cosmic Male.

It is my turn to stand corrected. Thanks and apologies for my errors. My excuse is that I do not speak any Indian language, and my family was not Hindu. In the state my parents were born in the favourite god is Ganesh among Goan Hindus.

Lisa - I thought you were born and raised in Kenya!
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Aldonkar wrote:..

It is my turn to stand corrected. Thanks and apologies for my errors. My excuse is that I do not speak any Indian language, and my family was not Hindu. In the state my parents were born in the favourite god is Ganesh among Goan Hindus.
No apologies needed. We live and learn. More importantly we learn and hence we live..
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Aldonkar wrote:

Schools! Was sold the story of what Harambee meant and its has stuck since then. I can almost guarantee that not one Gujrati from where I was brought up knows this fact. However, most of my friends and I still prefer to swear in Swahili. It has such grace!
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Aldonkar wrote:
Manish_P wrote:

My guess is that the Har/Jay Ambe would always mean Shri Mahalaxmi (Ambabai) of Kolhapur, which stands as one of the "jagrut" or living temples of the Divine Mother.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Manish_P wrote: Goddess Ambika or Amba mata (Divine Mother) is a name of Adi Shakti, Shakti or Durga, the consort of Sadashiva (Mahadev/Shankar), the Cosmic Male.

Maybe OT.

The three forces that help shape the universe are Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva - Brahma the creator, Shiva the destroyer and Vishnu the preserver/maintainer/transformer/sustainer. Each of them has two aspects – the initiator and the raw underlying power or energy. They are depicted as the male and female consort, together and inseparable - Brahma and Sarasvati, Vishu and Lakshmi and Shiva and Parvati. These forces are at constant play in the universe and work in unison, some parts created, some destroyed and others allowed to grow and sustain. Kalpavriksha in Atharva Veda, the banyan tree, symbolizes Trimurti – Lord Vishnu as the trunk, Lord Brahma the roots, and Lord Shiva the branches.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Cain Marko wrote:...
My guess is that the Har/Jay Ambe would always mean Shri Mahalaxmi (Ambabai) of Kolhapur, which stands as one of the "jagrut" or living temples of the Divine Mother.
For Gujaratis, as the poster mentioned them to be the migrant labor for the Uganda railways, Amba Mata is goddess Durga.
Kaivalya
BRFite

Post by Kaivalya »

Not to go too much OT - Apologies in advance

Please refer to amba : https://www.sanskritdictionary.com/amb%C4%81/16988/1

Since sanskrit influences a lot of indic languages I refer to it quite often. I am sure amma ( tamil ,telugu etc), amba (gujarati) etc are all related to mean respectful mother . Also hindu god and goddesses names are not nouns and typically relate to a characteristic/verb
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>Replying to clarify something you mentioned in your first post - that Kenyan Africans are Christian. There is a large Muslim minority (a regional majority in my day) on the Coast where Omani Arabs had been colonising for about four or five centuries before European appearance. The Arabs actually moved their Sultanate to Zanzibar for a period before being overthrown and merging with Tanganyika to become Tanzania.

I said largely Christian, please check. The Muslim population is less than 12%. https://www.britannica.com/place/Kenya/People

The non-Muslim/non-Christian population - including Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, local tribal "animistic" etc are upwards of 13%.

>>The motto of Kenya is "Harambee!". Kenyans will tell you that it means "Pull together" in Swahili. The Mombasa - Uganda Railway was built around 1890 to 1910 by Indian labourers (mostly Gujrati). As they hauled the rails into place the Gujrati labourers chanted "Hare Ambe". I am told that Ambe is tthe Gujrati name for Lakhsmi. The watching Africans thought they were chanting "pull together" and it went into the Swahili language.

Correct. On a slightly funny note, a lot of them think they invented chapati as well. I can't tell you the number of Kenyans I have enlightened on this issue, to their own shock. They own the chapati, and that's a good thing. The relationship between Indians and Kenyans tends to be highly segregated socially in terms of faith and family, though not necessarily in education, professions, etc, but quite integrated in commerce, etc. General tendency.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

I am not making up.please pay attention to language used by tatto artist. I think he is oxbridge dropout.

http://www.rotherhambugle.com/2016/11/0 ... -hospital/
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

With the number of Pindi Chana eaters growing exponentially in Al Bartannia, the UK fire departments better start provisioning for increasing the number of firefighters... :mrgreen:
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

JEM, your chapathi story explains something for me: I once had a big argument with an Ethiopian mohatarrma running a restaurant in US, who claimed “Sambusa” is not Samosa while serving me what looked, smelled and later passed out of me like a samosa. Also another one who claimed yoga is derived from ancient African calisthenics. White people doing yoga around her kept quiet while I pointed out the lack of written treatises from Africa. The woke crowd encourages this BS as a virtue signalling device

Heard another UK guy claim bodhi-dharma story is fabricated by yindoo nationalists recently. I pointed out that I first heard about this theory from colonial brit authors themselves and was propagated in kerala by the commie’s Sastra Sahithya Parishad organization, since I was little. Way before yindoo nationalists rule. So many small battles triggered by Anglo-saxies.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>The woke crowd encourages this BS as a virtue signalling device... So many small battles triggered by Anglo-saxies.

100% agree hnair - the Anglosphere ($32 Trillion GDP) is the fount of a lot of evil in this world, and the British elites - the old-boy network blended through the bureaucracy, military and intelligence as well as the political sphere - still do a lot of seeding of this nastiness.

And they have done this at little cost to themselves, cultural, commercial or civilizational - so far anyways. People haven't recognized it, because they haven't looked at the world in this way, largely due to the Cold war bipolarity, which was followed by what was purported to be Pax Americana (but of course it was anything but).

Now of course, they decided to take on the wrong country - owing to a lot of hubris, quite a bit of underestimation of the opponent, and certainly some desperation as well - and it is clear the situation is going out of control.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

lets just leave this here.....

After all, it wasn't really too long ago

bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak at Vidyarthi Bhavan with his daughter during their visit to Bengaluru. The newly elected British premier, Rishi Sunak, visited Bengaluru’s famous eatery Vidyarthi Bhavan at Gandhi Bazar, Basavanagudi, to relish their signature dosa in 2019 when he was the Chief Secretary to the Treasury in the U.K.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ba ... 054558.ece
Kedar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kedar »

I was perplexed as to why no anti-Hindu anti-India article from The Guardian. It had been a while since they spewed something nasty. It did not take long for the usual suspect sewer rat Pankaj Mishra to come with his verbal diarrhea.Britain’s first Hindu prime minister is destroying Tories’ pitiful vision of diversity If anything remotely negative had been said about Islam then the person would have been accused of Islamophobia and maybe even charged. A remotely negative comment would have been deleted by the moderator.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

I often wonder what drives the likes of this Pankaj Mishra? They want to be praised by the woke gora crowd ??
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Money usually. Plus its good if dissidents debate rather than go boom.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

What also encourages sepoys like Pankaj Mishra is that there is no downside to Hinduphobia. Which is why the lambasting should be public, visible and at multiple levels, so that people self-censor before talking crap about Hinduism. We are quite some distance away from that goal