Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Vayutuvan »

we had a sharp jhankaar radio. talk about ancient!!! something went wrong with the set. my dad and my cousin got electrocuted a couple of times. but then that set was so precious, we stuck with it for a decade.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

England, not only the perfidious albion but also the thieving and larcenous albion.

How the British impoverished India

When the Crown took over from the Company, from 1861 a clever system was developed under which all of India’s financial gold and forex earnings from its fast-rising commodity export surplus with the world, was intercepted and appropriated by Britain.

Oct 30, 2018
Utsa Patnaik

The British historians Phyllis Deane and WA Cole presented an incorrect estimate of Britain’s 18th-19th century trade volume, by leaving out re-exports completely. I found that by 1800 Britain’s total trade was 62% higher than their estimate, on applying the correct definition of trade including re-exports, that is used by the United Nations and by all other international organisations.

The British historians Phyllis Deane and WA Cole presented an incorrect estimate of Britain’s 18th-19th century trade volume, by leaving out re-exports completely. I found that by 1800 Britain’s total trade was 62% higher than their estimate, on applying the correct definition of trade including re-exports, that is used by the United Nations and by all other international organisations.

‘How exactly did the British manage to diddle us and drain our wealth’ ? was the question that Basudev Chatterjee (later editor of a volume in the Towards Freedom project ) had posed to me 50 years ago when we were fellow-students abroad. After decades of research I find that using India’s commodity export surplus as the measure and applying an interest rate of 5%, the total drain from 1765 to 1938, compounded up to 2016, comes to £9.2 trillion; since $4.86 exchanged for £1 those days, this sum equals about $45 trillion.

The exact mechanism of drain, or transfers from India to Britain was quite simple. The key factor was Britain’s control over our taxation revenues combined with control over India’s financial gold and forex earnings from its booming commodity export surplus with the world. Simply put, Britain used locally raised rupee tax revenues to pay for its net import of goods, a highly abnormal use of budgetary funds not seen in any sovereign country. The East India Company from 1765 onwards allocated every year up to one-third of Indian budgetary revenues net of collection costs, to buy a large volume of goods for direct import into Britain, far in excess of that country’s own needs. Since tropical goods were highly prized in other cold temperate countries which could never produce them, in effect these free goods represented international purchasing power for Britain which kept a part for its own use and re-exported the balance to other countries in Europe and North America against import of food grains, iron and other goods in which it was deficient. The British historians Phyllis Deane and WA Cole presented an incorrect estimate of Britain’s 18th-19th century trade volume, by leaving out re-exports completely. I found that by 1800 Britain’s total trade was 62% higher than their estimate, on applying the correct definition of trade including re-exports, that is used by the United Nations and by all other international organisations.

When the Crown took over from the Company, from 1861 a clever system was developed under which all of India’s financial gold and forex earnings from its fast-rising commodity export surplus with the world, was intercepted and appropriated by Britain. As before up to a third of India’s rising budgetary revenues was not spent domestically but was set aside as ‘expenditure abroad’. The Secretary of State for India in Council, based in London, invited foreign importers to deposit with him the payment (in gold, sterling and their own currencies) for their net imports from India, and these gold and forex payments disappeared into the yawning maw of the SoS’s account in the Bank of England. Against India’s net foreign earnings he issued bills, termed Council bills (CBs), to an equivalent rupee value. The rate (between gold-linked sterling and silver rupee) at which the bills were issued, was carefully adjusted to the last farthing, so that foreigners would never find it more profitable to ship financial gold as payment directly to Indians, compared to using the CB route. Foreign importers then sent the CBs by post or by telegraph to the export houses in India, that via the exchange banks were paid out of the budgeted provision of sums under ‘expenditure abroad’, and the exporters in turn paid the producers (peasants and artisans) from whom they sourced the goods.

The United Nations (1962) historical data for 1900 to 1960, show that for three decades up to 1928 (and very likely earlier too) India posted the second highest merchandise export surplus in the world, with USA in the first position. Not only were Indians deprived of every bit of the enormous international purchasing power they had earned over 175 years, even its rupee equivalent was not issued to them since not even the colonial government was credited with any part of India’s net gold and forex earnings against which it could issue rupees. The sleight-of-hand employed, namely ‘paying’ producers out of their own taxes, made India’s export surplus unrequited and constituted a tax-financed drain to the metropolis, as had been correctly pointed out by those highly insightful classical writers, Dadabhai Naoroji and RCDutt.

Surplus budgets to effect such heavy tax-financed transfers had a severe employment–reducing and income-deflating effect: mass consumption was squeezed in order to release export goods. Per capita annual foodgrains absorption in British India declined from 210 kg. during the period 1904-09, to 157 kg. during 1937-41, and to only 137 kg by 1946. If even a part of its enormous foreign earnings had been credited to it and not entirely siphoned off, India could have imported modern technology to build up an industrial structure as Japan was doing. Instead the masses suffered severe nutritional decline and independent India inherited a festering problem of unemployment and poverty.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Lisa wrote:Should a senior BJP member ask Indians in the UK NOT to vote for Labour on account of its support for a terrorist nation?

If anyone believes yes, then who and how to bell this cat.

Very polite example,

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKCN1UB25W
https://youtu.be/DD0Xr7yWQo8
Please listen to a TSP origin councillor(10.45 onwards), he probably must have smoking some special stuff imported in the 'Achar Dabba' from NWFP. :rotfl:
This has what the Labour party has become a den of : hard left wing jihadi supporting anti Semitism ridden homophobic party. :eek:
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
Labour Party’s position in the opinion polls is languishing in the low 20s %age. They (well, Corbyn is a commie Brexiteer; his party is maninly remainers) can’t make up their mind over Brexit, so have leaked support to the Tories and the Liberals, both of whom offer a clear position on Brexit.

As for Indians in the U.K., they are clearly the most well off ethnic community in the U.K.:

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... ome/latest

Natural Tory voters, from a socio-economic viewpoint.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

g.sarkar wrote:Memory lane: When I was in UK back in the 1980s there was a license fee for watching TV. This was meant for the BBC. However, there was resentment among the British Bhadralok that the BBC spent the money for foreign broadcasts meant to emphasize the British point of view (propaganda for the third world countries). By that time the British Empire was toothless and only the BBC thought that it made a difference. They always said that they read the news much slowly and clearly when compared to the VOA, which was done so that the natives could understand it better. VOA that time was a rival organization and had money to throw around, unlike the BBC. Just as the argument went the MI6 did better job than the CIA with less money and more sophistication. James Bond and all that. When you purchased a TV set in UK, it came with forms for payments this license. I took a risk and did not pay. Now, when I lived in West Berlin there was also a fee for watching TV. But they did not enforce this law in student hostels and I did not pay. UK did have private TV (ITN) but BBC did not show commercials and justified the license fee in this way. Germany had commercials but it was on a very limited scale on designated times. Nothing like what we get in the US. If I remember correctly, Germany even today has a fee for using the Internet. I do remember radio licenses in India too. But then I am ancient with a long memory.
Gautam
Gautamji,

A bit more. They have allegedly changed policy now but historically speaking the World Service budget was provided for not from the licence fee but by the Foreign Office. Furthermore, all foreign correspondents had to be vetted by the Foreign Office before employment. You should have seen the face of a BBC employee who was talking about its 'independence' until I asked him about the Foreign Office's involvement. Poor chap did not know how to leave the room more quickly!
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

https://twitter.com/TarekFatah/status/1 ... 81/photo/1 :lol: :lol:
Queens/Kings Guard 2030 courtesy Tarek Fatah
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

chetak wrote:England, not only the perfidious albion but also the thieving and larcenous albion.
For this topic please read: India Today by R.Palme Dutt. Published in the 1930s.
Gautam
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

UK in in year 2019 vs 2040
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Rsatchi wrote:https://twitter.com/TarekFatah/status/1 ... 81/photo/1 :lol: :lol:
Queens/Kings Guard 2030 courtesy Tarek Fatah
The queen in 2040?

VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

UK Indian origin MPs unite against Labour Party to withdraw resolution on Kashmir |NewsX
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

VinodTK wrote:UK Indian origin MPs unite against Labour Party to withdraw resolution on Kashmir |NewsX
What were these MPs doing when such a disingenuous resolution was passed in the first place? Now that they see a need to placate the Indian community, they have "united"??

Dimwits be those who'll fall for this.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Maybe they find that they can't get any "service" at home?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Aditya_V wrote:What kind of nation has a TV tax and License, its not really a free nation.
This is hilarious, to say the least :lol:. Let Corbyn first liberate his TV watching public before giving lectures to anyone else about restrictions, freedom, blah, blah. Why would one need a license for something as harmless as sitting at home and watching TV? Defeats the purpose of free-to-air programming.
saip wrote:May be you may not remember but India used to have Radio licence which has to be renewed every year at the local post office. The inspectors used to look for the antennas (at that time you needed a long wire antenna like the the one you use to dry your clothes except it is made of wire) to fine people. Those were the days when you waited years to buy a little Vespa or go to the local post office to book for the stately Ambassador.
True, except that those days are a small blip in our rear view mirror and mostly forgotten, whereas the UK still seems to be stuck in a time warp. In the 21st century, no less. No wonder they still harbour delusions of grandeur when dealing with their former colonies.

This point should be used to ridicule brits whenever they start their "aid" rona-dhona. And at every other opportunity. It's too funny to pass up.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

What have I wrought? Full fledged trolling on the horizon? All because I kinda just in case anyone’s interested slipped in a reference to radio licences a few months ago.

Anyway, Indians need not stoop to trivia. Britain has many bigger problems.

The two images above, fer instance. Would be uproariously funny if there wasn’t a hint of truth in them.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ Saar, the images are showing the direction UK is going in, and it is indeed serious (for the UK, of course). But from an Indic PoV, I find it very ironical that a former colonial power is now being colonized in such an open manner and they are so powerless to do anything about it. There are parallels with our own colonization by Britain, so it is interesting to keep a watch.

Now having said that, serious issues like the above have their place, and ridiculous issues like the TV license have their own. Neither takes anything away from the other - they are just tools in a cupboard, and we should use what is appropriate when being lectured to. That's all.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

I'm so glad Jaishankar ji has started quoting the $45 T figure. This needs to be repeated ad-infinitum in any dealings with the UK or British people in general. I'm pretty sure the actual figure is way over $45 T. When you count the starvation, famines, cultural genocide, destruction of local talent (for instance - destruction of Indian calico talent - which used to be the absolute best in the world - and which brought "Manchester Calico" to the fore), constant negative propaganda and peddling of lies against India (opportunity costs), and other such invisibles, the figure could be thrice to four times the quoted value. The UK stole something like a 100 to 200 years of their 1900's GDP from India. That's kept them going for 70 years after 1947. Now that the loot is spent, the UK is unraveling.

But that picture of the queen is haraam!! She's showing the bridge of her nose?? Don't they have a way to cover that up, or are they such sinners that they don't care!?!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

sudarshan wrote:I'm so glad Jaishankar ji has started quoting the $45 T figure. This needs to be repeated ad-infinitum in any dealings with the UK or British people in general. I'm pretty sure the actual figure is way over $45 T. When you count the starvation, famines, cultural genocide, destruction of local talent (for instance - destruction of Indian calico talent - which used to be the absolute best in the world - and which brought "Manchester Calico" to the fore), constant negative propaganda and peddling of lies against India (opportunity costs), and other such invisibles, the figure could be thrice to four times the quoted value. The UK stole something like a 100 to 200 years of their 1900's GDP from India. That's kept them going for 70 years after 1947. Now that the loot is spent, the UK is unraveling.

But that picture of the queen is haraam!! She's showing the bridge of her nose?? Don't they have a way to cover that up, or are they such sinners that they don't care!?!
And the gold in Fort Knox, KY that the British robbed India to pay the US for WW II.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

NRao wrote: And the gold in Fort Knox, KY that the British robbed India to pay the US fir WW II.
:eek: Seriously? I didn't even know that. Will go look it up. I thought the Hope diamond was the biggest thing that the US had from India.

But is this Fort Knox gold included in the $45 T figure?
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

VinodTK wrote:

UK Indian origin MPs unite against Labour Party to withdraw resolution on Kashmir |NewsX
Very misleading title and thumbnail. NewsX has pretenses of being a nationalistic channel but does more harm than good to their case with their bombastic exaggerated and misleading crap.

Nothing of the sort happened. Just a couple of Indian-origin MPs protesting it. Out of them, one (Viernder Sharma) is absolutely shameless and was responding to angry constituents with mealy mouthed nonsense in the PGurus video and asked them to stay in labour and fight to convince the party instead etc) so he is probably just doing this as a taqquiya move as a last resort since nobody is buying his bullshit. He is also the guy who brought up the attacks on Indian high commission in such a roundabout and weak way in British parliament (intentionally) that it ended up resulting in an endorsement of pro-Paki position in foreign secretary's response.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

sudarshan wrote:
NRao wrote: And the gold in Fort Knox, KY that the British robbed India to pay the US fir WW II.
:eek: Seriously? I didn't even know that. Will go look it up. I thought the Hope diamond was the biggest thing that the US had from India.

NRao-ji, thanks for bringing this topic up, it's something I have always wondered about. Hopefully, some PhD scholar will one day research and publish details on post-war money flows sourced from UK (and by implication, India).

sudarshan-ji, consider this: the US was a middle income country with a small military before WW II. After the war, they were a super-pawah, with the largest fleet and air force in the world, and by some distance. They also cranked up their manufacturing during the war and supplied their beach-head in Europe, i.e. the UK for the entire duration of the war. The number of ships and planes they turned out was mind boggling. None of this came free. Not only that, after the war, they had money for post-war reconstruction in Europe as well as Japan, money that they could liberally spare all of a sudden. And it didn't stop there: a massive 30-year road construction project in the US itself, i.e. the Eisenhower interstate system, that has paid back to their economy many times over.

What about the UK - having looted India for centuries, their economy was in a shambles at the end of the war, and ended up owing money to (then) GoI. Their economy would have collapsed if not for US "help". So where did their wealth go - one can imagine.

Now, can anyone seriously think they were able to achieve all of this within a short span of 20-30 years on their own dime?
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

arshyam wrote:...
Not disputing any of that. References, unfortunately, are very hard to come by (understandable, why would thieves refer to themselves as thieves).

On Fort Knox, what I'm seeing is that the reserve was filled with one wave of shipments in 1937. Supposedly the gold came from confiscation of gold coins in circulation till then (unlikely I think). Then another wave of shipments in 1941 (Battle of Britain? Makes sense.). The wiki page even mentions that some of the gold in this wave came from India (though it says "private reserves from India" whatever that means). Rest from France, UK, etc. (UK of course means India, where else). So maybe not all of the reserve, but maybe the majority of it was from India. Would be good to do a full trace on it, if possible.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Kashi wrote:
VinodTK wrote:UK Indian origin MPs unite against Labour Party to withdraw resolution on Kashmir |NewsX
What were these MPs doing when such a disingenuous resolution was passed in the first place? Now that they see a need to placate the Indian community, they have "united"??

Dimwits be those who'll fall for this.

old news but interesting in its intent.

In the earlier days, we would have bowed down and accepted the gora britshit verdict as evidence of mishandling of the situation by our guys.

this is a refreshing stand by the MEA, a swift kick in the britshit teeth, as it were, especially after the disingenuous paki sponsored protests allowed by the paki mayor of london.

so now the labor party is scrambling to pour oil on troubled waters by getting Indian origin labor MPs to lobby India.

Come brexit, the britshits shall pay dearly.

UK Labour MP Barry Gardiner who had taken NDTV’s Nidhi Razdan to task over her Modi-hate comes out in support of revocation of Article 370

It is notable here that the Indian government had reacted strongly to the Labour Party’s resolution and had slammed the move terming it ‘unfounded and uninformed’. The Indian High Commission in London had cancelled the annual Labour Friends of India dinner event on the same day the resolution was tabled at the Labour party’s conference.

India’s foreign minister S Jaishankar had stated that there is no question of engaging any Labour party members on this issue and has added that the Labour party is just pandering its vote bank interests.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

EswarPrakash wrote:I live in the UQ and am SERIOUSLY thinking of cancelling my TV license. I don't watch BBC live or BBC iPlayer anymore. Only watch streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. Most of the TV license goes to BBC and I am no more willing to pay them money to them. I would recommend people take a real look to see if they can avoid paying TV license - legally, of course - especially if you don't watch BBC at all.
Don't open you door, and if you do. Make sure to shut it behind you when speaking to license inspectors.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

What the heck is going on with this Brexit anyway? Reading about it just makes my head swim. Is there going to be a no-deal Brexit?

The Scots seem to be agitating for a second referendum, because "the result of the first one assumed that the UK would stay within the EU."

But but but - the UK will remain a state of the EU even after Brexit, no? (Hint: French/ Spanish abbreviation for the USA is "EU" - "Etats Unides").
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Wonder what is a "UK representative of the Indian National Congress Party". There may be more to this than has met the eye: Freudian or Cretinish Slip by Corbyn. Remember that Raoul Gandi is a citjen of the UQ per his corporate records. Is See B Eye/ RAA watching? That may be why INC spokesliars are rushing to be "Shocked" like Inspecteure Renault of 'Casablanca'.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Irish Unity: in the BREXIT works
Brexit has accelerated the possibility of a referendum on Irish unity, which may be the best solution to mitigate the effects of Britain leaving the EU, a new paper on Brussels’ potential role in achieving reunification says.

The inevitability of referendums on both sides of the Irish border means “planning and preparation needs to commence and the EU will be a central part of that,” said Queen’s University Belfast Prof. Colin Harvey at the launch of the paper in the European Parliament on Wednesday, the Irish Times reported.

Speaking with his co-author, barrister Mark Bassett, Harvey said that meetings with representatives from EU member states had shown a broad understanding of the argument that Irish unity might be the best way to deal with the ill-effects of Brexit on the island of Ireland. The alternative, he said, was the “forced removal of Northern Ireland” from the EU “against its will.”

Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU by a majority of 56 percent to 44 percent.

Harvey and Bassett’s paper was commissioned by Irish republican party Sinn Féin and its left-wing parliamentary group Gue/NGL.

Harvey said that the EU accepted that Irish reunification would be seen as similar to German reunification in the sense that it would entail the expansion of an existing territory and not a new accession which needed its own accession process, the newspaper reported. The right to self-determination of people was also enshrined in international law, Bassett said.

The Irish government, led by the center-right Fine Gael and propped up by center-right Fianna Fail, has been reluctant to bring up the issue of Irish unity in the context of Brexit, preferring instead to push for Britain to strike a deal with Brussels which averts the need for a hard border to be implemented and maintains the status quo.
So ReichsFuhrera Merkel will achieve what Hitler's Panzer divisions stuck at Dunkirk failed to achieve: annexation of Ireland. Followed by Scotland. Even as the Reich is swallowed by Turkey. Imagine! Sultan Erdogan, Caliph of Irishstan and Scottistan.
hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

UlanBatori wrote:

So ReichsFuhrera Merkel will achieve what Hitler's Panzer divisions stuck at Dunkirk failed to achieve: annexation of Ireland. Followed by Scotland. Even as the Reich is swallowed by Turkey. Imagine! Sultan Erdogan, Caliph of Irishstan and Scottistan.
:roll:
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

NRao wrote:
sudarshan wrote:I'm so glad Jaishankar ji has started quoting the $45 T figure. This needs to be repeated ad-infinitum in any dealings with the UK or British people in general. I'm pretty sure the actual figure is way over $45 T. When you count the starvation, famines, cultural genocide, destruction of local talent (for instance - destruction of Indian calico talent - which used to be the absolute best in the world - and which brought "Manchester Calico" to the fore), constant negative propaganda and peddling of lies against India (opportunity costs), and other such invisibles, the figure could be thrice to four times the quoted value. The UK stole something like a 100 to 200 years of their 1900's GDP from India. That's kept them going for 70 years after 1947. Now that the loot is spent, the UK is unraveling.

And the gold in Fort Knox, KY that the British robbed India to pay the US for WW II.

All I would say is the tendency to buy foreign tech ad nauseam... weapons power plants etc is the same .. the lifeblood of the country is going out through those billions for fancy stuff.. the Chinese seem to have got it right to build everything and export it...
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

-del-
Last edited by vishvak on 11 Oct 2019 12:06, edited 2 times in total.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Deleted
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 581080.cms
I suppose regardless of the Indian diaspora objecting the Labour feeling is 'U votes don't matter' kind of some BJP commenting on 'Minority votes don't matter to us' :roll:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

sudarshan wrote:

During WWII, an ammo ship anchored in Mumbai port blew up while dockside operations were going on. Among the things that were scattered were gold bars. Obviously British were not bringing gold into India!!!

So lot of underhanded stuff went on during the War with quiet concurrence of Congress.

Before Lend Lease was enacted by US, the British had to pay hard cash for decrepit weapons like Springfield rifles, old destroyers etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rsatchi wrote:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 581080.cms
I suppose regardless of the Indian diaspora objecting the Labour feeling is 'U votes don't matter' kind of some BJP commenting on 'Minority votes don't matter to us' :roll:

Excuse me but why bring in BJP here?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Was listening to an expert on Bloomberg Radio on BREXIT issues.
It seems Paris and Berlin fear that an unfettered London could become a Singapore on Thames!!!
IOW come up with many financial incentives to move capital markets from EU.

The expert was saying its far fetched to compare a single party city state with UK which has multiple parties, multiple ethnicity etc. etc.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Ramanaji,
The EU functions under strict laws that are applied uniformly across the member states. The general feeling in the EU is that these laws will be relaxed as the UK regains its sovereignty. If the rest of EU for example functions under strict environment laws and these laws are relaxed in the UK, UK will be able to manufacture goods at a cheaper cost. With free trade it will then be able to export these goods to EU countries. This will then attract companies that will set up factories in UK to take advantage of such relaxed laws. A free trading zone or a customs union all lead to unrestricted duty free movement of goods between the UK and EU. But if the laws restrict EU members and if these laws do not exist in UK, UK will get an unfair advantage. Reference to Singapore should be seen in this context.
Gautam
Last edited by g.sarkar on 16 Oct 2019 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.spiegel.de/international/eu ... 89999.html
Predictable Chaos
Europe Braces for the Effects of Brexit
Hopes for a last minute deal between Britain and the EU are fading and both sides are now preparing for the consequences of an unregulated Brexit, including higher customs duties, long delays and greater uncertainties. There will be plenty of losers, but also some beneficiaries. By DER SPIEGEL Staff October 08, 2019
It was only just a few days ago that it still seemed as though Britain and the European Union might be able to find an agreement that would prevent the UK's unregulated exit from the EU. But following Prime Minister Boris Johnson's speech at the recent Conservative party conference, an address that was not exactly well received in Brussels, the path toward a deal is rockier than ever. And once again, the scenario of a no-deal Brexit seems the most likely outcome, complete with the "chaos" and "catastrophe" that has been forecast for months.
For the economy, a no-deal Brexit primarily means that everything would become slower and more expensive. Customs duties would be imposed, border inspections introduced, supply chains destroyed and ownership stakes devalued.
Many questions remain unanswered when it comes to how the pound and stock markets might react on the day Britain crashes out of the EU. How much wealth, how many jobs might be lost? The true impact is impossible to predict. It is clear, though, that Europeans would feel the impact of a no-deal Brexit: German customs officers and Irish farmers, auto-industry executives and trade-industry workers, diplomats and bankers. Most fear this day, but there are some who hope to profit from it.
The Transportation Manager
In Hoek van Holland, one of Rotterdam's ferry ports, final preparations are under way. Soon, the Stena Hollandica, one of the biggest ferries in the world, will leave for Harwich, a town on England's east coast.
A quarter of an hour before departure, the last truck drives across the ramp, completing a load of freighters that, if lined up end-to-end, would stretch for five-and-a-half kilometers. They are carrying fresh strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce and apples -- easily perishable produce that must reach its destination on time. Every move counts. It takes exactly one minute and thirty seconds for a truck to be checked in for the crossing, a masterly feat of logistics. A no-deal Brexit, though, would almost certainly slow things down.
Should it come to that, every load would have to be individually declared and inspected, which would take between six and 10 minutes per truck, at best, and would result in considerable delays and long traffic jams. Or, to put it in the more precise syntax of Marcel van der Vlugt, a Stena Line executive: "It would be a big problem for us and our customers."
The Brexit Diplomat
Gregor Schusterschitz, 49, is Austria's Brexit representative at the EU, and as a result, he has been at work non-stop since he was named to the position in March 2017. He can still vividly remember his first meeting, when he discussed how the EU should prepare itself for a no-deal Brexit with his counterparts from other member states. "At first, with everyone expecting that a deal would be reached, nobody took it seriously," he says. "But we got to work."
Hundreds of meetings with member-state representatives were held. There were seminars and PowerPoint presentations, and there were working groups looking into the most complicated questions: What customs will apply on November 1 if the UK becomes a third country? How will the duties for companies be calculated? And will British workers who continue to live in the EU still be allowed to vote in local elections?
Gautam
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

ramana wrote:During WWII, an ammo ship anchored in Mumbai port blew up while dockside operations were going on. Among the things that were scattered were gold bars. Obviously British were not bringing gold into India!!!
It was this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944_Bombay_explosion
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Gandhi 'was racist and planned statue of him outside Manchester Cathedral must be scrapped due to his complicity in British Empire's actions in Africa', demand city students

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... apped.html

They need a statue of Zia ul Haq instead!!!
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

UlanBatori wrote: So ReichsFuhrera Merkel will achieve what Hitler's Panzer divisions stuck at Dunkirk failed to achieve: annexation of Ireland. Followed by Scotland. Even as the Reich is swallowed by Turkey. Imagine! Sultan Erdogan, Caliph of Irishstan and Scottistan.
I think that should be Fuehrerin.
Gautam