Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK News & Discussions- June 2017

Post by Singha »

>> ILR can be maintained without a valid passport provided the person entered on a valid passport

well honed entry key to protect financial criminals seeking safe refuge...
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Suraj
A query on the following point in your post
"because his businesses were Indian based and registered, and he was a politician in India. He probably just visited UK regularly enough to 'reset the clock' on his ILR expiry. "
This would seem to suggest that even an ILR has a fixed period of stay. Is my understanding correct? If so, what is the time period?
Thanks.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

nandakumar wrote:This would seem to suggest that even an ILR has a fixed period of stay. Is my understanding correct? If so, what is the time period?
Thanks.
I don't know of that. The rules are that being outside for 2 years at a stretch invalidates your ILR. Since it's a permanent residency, they'd like you to actually reside there to demonstrate it, but I think this 'spirit of residency' is very weakly enforced. He's more likely to lose IlR due to being declared a fugitive from justice, than for simple dropping by every <2 years to reset his clock, while still running businesses in India and even being an Indian MP .
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Singha wrote:>> ILR can be maintained without a valid passport provided the person entered on a valid passport

Maybe, or maybe not. Technically you can look at this analogous to a green card, which is also a conditional permanent residency. The operative word in both cases is that the status is a residency permit. A passport on the other hand is an ID and travel document. One can keep their green card active while their desi passport is expired, no problem. Of course, one can't travel then.

The bigger gray area is that he has had ILR for decades despite primarily being an Indian resident, running Indian businesses and being an Indian politician. I'm guessing UK is much more lax at requiring residents show proof of residency; only being out for >2 years consecutively loses ILR. US on the other hand may revoke green card for being out for >6-12 months (not sure of the rules) without parole document, at border agent's discretion.

One possible way he could lose ILR is UK home office just doesn't like his misusing residency requirements. This is unlikely - he probably has the lawyers to make his case. Another is he loses ILR because of his status as a recognized fugitive from justice according to their law. ILR like most conditional PRs depends on clear behavior, and criminality is one way of losing it. IF he loses ILR, he has no protection from deportation - he then has no residence permit or visa, and cannot acquire one because his passport is invalid. He *could* claim asylum, but he's unlikely to succeed in getting it on what would be economic grounds. He's not exactly going to be able to prove he's been persecuted within India in the past, considering his status and history. At best, the judge will cut him off and tell him "Mr.Mallya, let us get this straight ? You claim a country where you are a well known billionaire and former member of parliament persecuted you ? You have misheard. You're not being persecuted. You're being prosecuted". Formally recognized fugitives on the run don't get to scream 'the police are persecuting me!'.

If he does maintain ILR, then extradition would be our only approach. That's where he's arguing hyooman rites, scary Tihaar jail etc to keep from being extradited. That's why I hope he loses ILR due to his new status - it would save us trouble of having to defend out system from such stupid questions. With no ILR he technically loses any statutory protections he now has as a UK permanent resident through ILR.

Going after his assets is the best option. It cuts off the number of options he can pursue. Already the courts have agreed a) they can seize his assets in India/UK and b) he's a recognized fugitive . With no money to fight his case, they's simply whisper 'Listen, you're too much of a hassle. Go home. You're not worth our time'.

India should quickly push through the FEO Bill and apply it to seize Mallya's assets in UK and India. The bill is unlikely to face constitutional hurdles since we don't have right to property as a fundamental right anymore, and the constitution itself asserts that one can be deprived of property by due process of law.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

US revokes the Green Card/Permanent Residency if you fail to remain in the country for less then 183 days in a calendar year, You also have to satisfy criteria like filing of tax return even if you are outside the country.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

I am surprised an Indian MP was allowed to have a PR of another country. It seems there are no laws forbidding it.

Secondly, an English court may rule on his assets in the UK (isn't common law the individual domain of England, Scotland, Wales and NI?), how can they "agree" that his assets in India can be ceased, when they have no jurisdiction here.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Kashi wrote:I am surprised an Indian MP was allowed to have a PR of another country. It seems there are no laws forbidding it.

Secondly, an English court may rule on his assets in the UK (isn't common law the individual domain of England, Scotland, Wales and NI?), how can they "agree" that his assets in India can be ceased, when they have no jurisdiction here.
The English court ruled on his British assets - enabling foreign (from their perspective) creditors like ICICI bank to go after them . The FEO Bill will let GoI go after his Indian assets and hock them off to the highest bidder .
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

on expected lines Nirav Modi has reached UK and hiding some where, and travelling on forged documents https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... TOIDesktop
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

IndraD wrote:on expected lines Nirav Modi has reached UK and hiding some where, and travelling on forged documents https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... TOIDesktop
In this case if he is ever spotted he will be deported as fugitive not before being serving jail term here too.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

ashish raval wrote:In this case if he is ever spotted he will be deported as fugitive not before being serving jail term here too.
Like all other Indian fugitives "serving jail term" in the UK?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ashish raval wrote:In this case if he is ever spotted he will be deported as fugitive not before being serving jail term here too.
Tall claims there. Deportation requires him to have broken local immigration laws. And UK record at extraditing fugitives to India is pathetic - a grand total of ONE person extradited since the 1992 treaty.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Suraj wrote:
Tall claims there. Deportation requires him to have broken local immigration laws. And UK record at extraditing fugitives to India is pathetic - a grand total of ONE person extradited since the 1992 treaty.
Yeah that is why assange is hoped up for a decade in Embassy. If there is a search warrant issued by following proper procedure by Indian high commission then I don't see why he is not caught. In which case India can start giving similar treatment to UK fugitives by giving them asylum isn't it?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

ashish raval wrote:Yeah that is why assange is hoped up for a decade in Embassy. If there is a search warrant issued by following proper procedure by Indian high commission then I don't see why he is not caught. In which case India can start giving similar treatment to UK fugitives by giving them asylum isn't it?
Nadeem Saifi is a declared fugitive and absconder from law in India. How many search warrants were issued for him?

Moreover, this is not about what what India can or should or should not do regarding potential British offenders. It's about what Britain has been doing to assist India in getting back Indian fugitives who have found shelter in the UK. As Suraj-san pointed out far more eloquently, nearly sod all.

Regarding Assange, he's an American fugitive and it seems that makes a big difference to the UK establishment.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there are certain island nations in the atlantic and mediterranean which I believe for a certain fee give instant citizenship and passport.
any good "advisor" to HNIs knows all these tricks and has the right channels to expedite matters - which are anyway cash n carry COTS

https://corpocrat.com/2016/12/27/10-cou ... passports/

some of them are part of anglosphere like malta and cyprus and he can move around visa-free anywhere .. some are tax havens and wheeler dealer nodes in which his ilk will be perfectly at home.

my bet is he has taken that route.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Kashi wrote:I am surprised an Indian MP was allowed to have a PR of another country. It seems there are no laws forbidding it.

The same way Indian citizens who haven't seen the backside of the US or even ever applied for a US visa are mandatorily being made to sign FATCA.

WTF gave the US the right to enforce this on Indian citizens, and that too, outside the US and why did our govt accept this demeaning condition??
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ashish raval wrote:
Suraj wrote: Tall claims there. Deportation requires him to have broken local immigration laws. And UK record at extraditing fugitives to India is pathetic - a grand total of ONE person extradited since the 1992 treaty.
Yeah that is why assange is hoped up for a decade in Embassy. If there is a search warrant issued by following proper procedure by Indian high commission then I don't see why he is not caught. In which case India can start giving similar treatment to UK fugitives by giving them asylum isn't it?
Can you read the thread topic ? It says India UK, and you must stick to topic . How many Indian extradition requests has the UK fulfilled ? The answer is ONE . The UK by default denies every Indian extradition request, with one exception .

Same bunch of morons whom you advocate better economics ties with . First step towards getting what they seek is to do as we demand of them . India is the biggest democracy on the planet, a nation with rule of law . Britain has no business deciding on extradition requests on the subjective basis of the condition of Indian jails . Its a bloody jail, not a Club Med holiday .
Misra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Misra »

every time the GDP of the UK crosses the 3 trillion mark that of india crosses the next trillion mark...

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

That's a fabulous chart :rotfl:
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Suraj wrote:
ashish raval wrote: Yeah that is why assange is hoped up for a decade in Embassy. If there is a search warrant issued by following proper procedure by Indian high commission then I don't see why he is not caught. In which case India can start giving similar treatment to UK fugitives by giving them asylum isn't it?
Can you read the thread topic ? It says India UK, and you must stick to topic . How many Indian extradition requests has the UK fulfilled ? The answer is ONE . The UK by default denies every Indian extradition request, with one exception .

Same bunch of morons whom you advocate better economics ties with . First step towards getting what they seek is to do as we demand of them . India is the biggest democracy on the planet, a nation with rule of law . Britain has no business deciding on extradition requests on the subjective basis of the condition of Indian jails . Its a bloody jail, not a Club Med holiday .
Well there are ways to make it a pain for nation. Britain is subject to EU law and if someone reach to EU court then ruling of EU court will supercede UK high court and in some cases UK supreme court too. In those cases it will be even harder to get them deported or pressurise group of 28 nations by whoever it is, US or anyone for that matter. Best is to make their companies pay and keep them out of lucrative markets in India or give them long lead time of any presence in India. We are not really able to extradite many people from any country even with whom we have bilateral agreements. Our lawyers should be good, our case should be tight when making such requests. As for jail, they have Xbox here in jails and gets ample gym time and it really feels like extended vacation so courts will reject any country which gives lower facilities and that is sad fact we have to allude to. We can do undertaking of similar treatment if we have to make case tight if we got to have any chance of extradition.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

From an Indian perspective, that's a whole lot of "babaji in Brussels said..." useless excuses that mean nothing at all to us. What's more, that argument pulls the wool over others' eyes: the UK *has* an easier way to help, i.e. by deportation vs extradition. But no, they won't do that.

Mallya, and Nadeem before him, are both recognized fugitives from justice, and yet nothing has happened to their immigration status (which is the only way they can be deported vs extradition). On paper, Mallya being declared a recognized fugitive should cause him to lose ILR, which means his presence is illegal, and with no passport, the only thing that could be done is deport him to his country of citizenship, i.e. India.

But no, nothing has happened like that - either with Nadeem or Mallya. In all likelihood, Mallya will follow Nadeem and clock in the residency requirement under ILR and then petition to naturalize and be granted UK citizenship. Meanwhile you'll go on wringing your hands talking about brussels sprouts.

Bilateral developments are defined by action that improve bilateral concerns. UK's separate considerations and constraints are its own problems, of no relevance to India, and not worth our consideration at all. From an Indian perspective, the UK harbors known and recognized criminals - by their own laws - whom they neither extradite, nor deport.
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

Kashi wrote:
IndraD wrote:Image

Theresa May is mocked by Russian Embassy with 'Three Billboards Outside Salisbury, Wiltshire' tweet over Skripal nerve agent attack
Seems like a Photoshop job to me.
It's a photoshop that spoofs the movie "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" (a very good movie BTW)
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Singha wrote:>> ILR can be maintained without a valid passport provided the person entered on a valid passport

much like Rahul "Gandhi" :mrgreen:
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

ILR has to be converted to biometric entry permit card ( since 2014) which has a clear date of expiry and has to be reapplied for again, with a £330 fee and original passport. He can't carry on with his ILR indefinitely. My ILR card expires in 2024 when they reissued it in 2017 I.e. 7 years.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

It is confirmed that Nirav Modi is in London, he travelled on Singaporean passport https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/nirav-m ... es-1854370
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

We should really start penalizing Brit$hits business interests in India for providing shelter for many wanted Indians under the guise of "human rights fairness" & BS like that. They may get away for the first few years but lets see how much "hooman rights" UK would value of these folks over long-term restricted access and losing business opportunities in one of the fastest growing economic markets in the world. I bet nothing positive would come out of Vijay Mallaya case as well. He & his ilk would be safe & have a comfortable living in UK for the rest of their lives. I mean I know the banks are equally culpable, but I do know of a few people who were affected in the final days of Kingfisher airlines fiasco...no salary paid for 6+ months and many of them struggled to find alternate jobs.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Here are my thoughts.These britshits are so vile one can not even comprehend. Very likely Mallaya and his ilk will be returned to India in 2019 AFTER Mody comes back to power with a thumping majority. These britshit do not want to give him any help in elections, they want to help the party of traitors.After 2019 elections britshits know mody will get after their tail and they will oblige with some lame excuse.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

IndraD wrote:It is confirmed that Nirav Modi is in London, he travelled on Singaporean passport https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/nirav-m ... es-1854370
according to twitter Nirav already has ILR status in UK :shock:
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

'Oh f***!' Twitter goes into meltdown as Meghan appears to turn the air blue during horse-drawn carriage ride through Windsor with Prince Harry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z5Fxl4K1fd
entire royal wedding seems to be a feudal dynast exercise some thing like guilt pleasure in 21st century.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The Brit royal family is the longest successful soap opera going ,rivalling both Hollywood and Bollywood.Immaculate conception, production, direction and marketing makes it an industry raking in the shekels in the billions.What was a secretive,protected monarchy in the olden days,especially during Victorian times,in the 20th century with the unprecedented abdication of king Edward and his romance with a Yanqui divorcee to boot, catapulted the royal family into the public limelight.

Then came the war, more publicity , the entrance of the current queen and her consort, and the arrival of Diana, the " people's princess". After her highly public lifestyle, divorce, romances, etc.,and tragic death, the Brit royals eclipsed any soap opera or celebrity galavanting across the globe.Harry and Meghan and the arrival of Afro-American blood into the royal family is an indication of how much has changed and what we could expect in the future.

Great entertainment for the masses, but the cost of keeping this monarchy going is added to the tab of the Brit. taxpayer , tourists, and the like- there are many who would love a gong from the Queen, an issue with die-hard republicans .

India's attitude to its former royals leaves a lot to be desired.While economically privy purses are ruled out, depriving them of their titles was a mistake.In their respective regions they are still respected and addressed by their former titles by ordinary people .Past time for returning their titles alone, part of their birthright which would be great for tourism apart from the cultural fillip that it would bring with it.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

since the GOI was unaware of all this clan holding foreign passports, it seems like they did not surrender the indian passport and apply for OCI - else there would be no indian passport to cancel. so they had been 2-timing for years, using the indian passport when needed and using the foreign passport to mask their movements if need be.

Ibnlive --

After months of speculation, the whereabouts of fugitive diamantaire Nirav Modi may finally have been ascertained by the security agencies. Following in the footsteps of embattled liquor baron Vijay Mallya, Modi is believed to be hiding in London on a Singapore passport.

A report in IANS, citing Enforcement Directorate (ED) sources said, Modi is currently in London while his brother Nishal Modi is in Antwerp on a Belgian passport. Nirav's sister Purvi Mehta also holds a Belgian passport and is said to be in Hong Kong at present, it added.

The report said that Purvi's husband, Mayank Mehta (of Rosy Blue Diamond) has got a British passport
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

mostly these people are out of reach unless we send israeli style teams to catch a few , but the new notification needs to be passed asap and all their assets seized and auctioned to recover as much as possible.

and pressure must be put on london, HK, singapore, antwerp to ensure their business dealings are hurt and they are tarred and feathered as untouchable crooks for the industry. anyone who attempts to act as their proxies here must be shut down. anyone who attends a tea party with them must be deeply investigated.

they should at best be able to live as rich retired crooks in london and antwerp, one of 1000s of turd world crooks hiding there...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the jewelry sector has only themselves to blame for indulging in unlawful cash practises, tax dodging and letting such clans of crooks predominate in their midst. now they are whining as banks tighten the oversight.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Londonistan which has an insidious Paki influence is the favourite haunt of Indian scamster swine.Whitehall ( Brownhall now?) will prevent any deportation of our scamsters and crooks.That influence by the Paki vote bank politics in Britistan is why a number of anti- Indian entities like Kashmiri terrorists, Khalistanis ,LTTE entities, and other such entities enjoy a charmed life in Britistan.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

with the growing economic clout of India it should not be easy for UK to keep economic terrorists from India hiding under its fold...in casethat happens people will start questioning if Modi-Shah are doing enough to get them back.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Growing clout, Modi wining elections is all in the future. Just let them know India will start giving residency to wanted UK fugitives and you will see the ruling UK Pakis suddenly becoming dharmic. Unless they feel the pain they are not going to change and will keep hiding behind legalese and due process nonsense.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

IndraD wrote:It is confirmed that Nirav Modi is in London, he travelled on Singaporean passport https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/nirav-m ... es-1854370
Ask Singapore to cancel his passport.

Whichever country gives him fugitive, remember that in all future interactions with that country and reciprocate.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Neshant wrote:

Whichever country gives him fugitive, remember that in all future interactions with that country and reciprocate.
Too late, he can live in the UK on a cancelled passport, just cannot travel without a new one.

The loan terms for anything beyond 1 cr need to be a lot stricter with reporting on citizenships, PR visas and passports held needing to be mandatory.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Bart S wrote:
Neshant wrote:

Too late, he can live in the UK on a cancelled passport, just cannot travel without a new one.

The loan terms for anything beyond 1 cr need to be a lot stricter with reporting on citizenships, PR visas and passports held needing to be mandatory.
How can he stay if he has no passport?

Is he a citizen or permanent resident of UK?

A guy who has taken a big loan can always acquire citizenship of a foreign country after getting the loan and run off.

Hell it seems possible to run off even witout getting foreign citizenship/PR if what you say is true.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Neshant wrote:
Bart S wrote:

How can he stay if he has no passport?

Is he a citizen or permanent resident of UK?

A guy who has taken a big loan can always acquire citizenship of a foreign country after getting the loan and run off.

Hell it seems possible to run off even witout getting foreign citizenship/PR if what you say is true.
Mallaya's passport is also cancelled but he is allowed to stay there. Caveat might be that he has an ILR but Nirav Modi might not (actually, who knows, he might, otherwise why would he confidently go there?). Either way the Brits have been making a deliberate effort to shelter all kinds of fugitives from Indian justice.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 194825.cms

Police fail to remove homeless people before royal wedding based in Windsor

Homeless people living in Windsor say they are not budging even though Windsor and Maidenhead council leader Simon Dudley has tried to get them cleared in time for the royal wedding because they paint the town “in an unfavourable light”.
More than 3,27,000 people have signed a petition opposing Dudley’s letter to Thames Valley police asking for rough sleepers to be arrested, instead calling for them to be rehoused.
:shock:
most of the homeless are either East Europeans or Asians
But a few days before the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle on Saturday, none of the homeless have been removed, nor rehoused.
A Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead spokesperson told TOI that those who are homeless with a “local connection” have been offered “safe places” to stay “this weekend”. He added that an offer to keep possessions safe on Saturday, when an unprecedented number of people are expected to visit Windsor, had been made to those who did not take that offer up. “Anybody facing homelessness is encouraged to contact the council,” he added.
A crowd of Chinese tourists stand in front of the Castle before their selfie sticks and behind them, seemingly invisible, rough sleepers are dotted along the pavement.
Outside McDonald’s is Tracy, 50, a former gardener, next to a trolley of her belongings. “They can’t move us as we are not doing anything illegal,” she said. “Good luck to Harry and Meghan but their wedding is not helping our situation. It’s ironic Princess Diana was a patron for the homeless. They are washing down the benches and putting the flags up, but it is a total farce. They are paying thousands for the police. I don’t need thousands. I just need a roof over my head, then I can go back to work.”
Pitched outside Barclays Bank, with a Rubik's cube and a pile of books including ‘Mr Nice’, by Howard Marks, is British Indian Sunil, 40. “I can’t get a job because I have no stable address and no personal hygiene. I don’t get unemployment benefit because I don’t have an address. I earn £3 to £15 a day sitting here. If I make enough, I take a B&B,” he said. “I am happy for the couple, but I am not happy about living on the streets,” he said. "They should just house us. Asians look at me with disgust. It’s mostly white people that give me change.”
His parents moved to the UK from Phillaur in Punjab. A former market trader, he said he was turfed out of a rented flat in Slough after it did not meet council rules. He had nowhere to go and owing to disagreements with his family after his father died, 11 months ago he ended up on the streets. “The homeless charities can’t help you unless you meet certain criteria. How much are they spending on this wedding? Quite a few million? Would it not be better for them to house us?” he said.
The word on the street among the homeless is the police will arrest “anyone siting down” on Saturday and several have been told the police will put their stuff in storage for the day.
But a spokesman for Thames Valley Police denied this. “If people are blocking paths then they may have to stand up for public safety. If anyone has large items in their possession which are deemed to cause a security risk these are likely to be removed,” he said.
The UK national homeless charity Crisis is one of the seven organisations that Prince Harry and Meghan have asked their weddings guests to donate to in lieu of wedding gifts.
Beneath the Duchess of Cambridge pub a Polish man is looking depressed. Maciek, 30, came to the UK 10 years ago from Kolobrzeg. One and a half years ago he became homeless after he lost his job as a hotel waiter. The hotel had provided his room.
“My family in Poland does not know. Charities don’t help me. I take showers at the swimming pool,” he said. “The world’s media are coming on Saturday and I will be sleeping in front of the castle.” He did not know about Dudley’s letter. “Move where?” he asked.