India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by ShauryaT »

On OBOR, US backs India, says it crosses ‘disputed’ territory
The Trump administration has thrown its weight behind India’s opposition to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), saying it passes through a disputed territory...

“In a globalised world, there are many belts and many roads, and no one nation should put itself into a position of dictating ‘one belt, one road’,” Mattis told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee during a Congressional hearing.

“That said, the One Belt One Road also goes through disputed territory, and I think, that in itself shows the vulnerability of trying to establish that sort of a dictate,” Mattis said apparently referring to India’s position on CPEC. Mattis was responding to a question from senator Charles Peters over OBOR and China’s policy in this regard.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

ramana wrote:Is this guy threatening or pushing for the deals?
Not sure of this guy. The other day, I saw a brief interview with this guy on UnDy talking about TSP, pigLeTs, and its nukes. He said if his suggestions were implemented by honchos in Pentagon, the subcontinent would have been nuke nude. Of course, the stupid UnDy anchor who will otherwise nitpick every silly issue of so called 'intolerance' against BJP, didn't have the brains nor the guts to ask a follow up on what he means by subcontinent being nuke nude, does it include India?

I have always maintained, and I continue to do so that TSP nukes are a strategic weapon in the hands of its 3.5, primarily, US and China, to make India nuke nude first and then course, its a piece of cake to nuke nude TSP.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

+108. I agree to last point. Every US admin from Johnson has tried to do that.
While weaponizing China to be a threat to Soviet union.
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

I am behind on this thread and this reply is about Indian troop deployments and mainly on comments about
"Great Powers" and how they operate.

"Great Powers" do not import weaponry, can make everything in house including jet engines
they dont import for arming thier proxies

Think very hard before one blithely sends troops into Afghanistan.. Only with a land route
especially when you have to rely on third parties for waging war.

who did the Russians rely on in syria? what weaponry do they import?
India has a very long way to go

It will be an american trap.. fully taken advantage of by Indias many enemies... Iran, Turkey, China, Saudi..
pakistan will do all the running, america ASEs (anglo saxon elites) will sit back and watch

I say again only with the whole of Kashmir in Indian hands and pakchinistan cut off should this ever be considered
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Is this Indian-boots-in-Afghanistan a BR suggestion? Else where is it coming from?

Thx.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

So uncle is going full Baki? Since we refused to send troops, now it's all because of Pakistan considerations?

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

This the true low-hanging fruit. Blasting Pak into the hereafter is extremely obtainable to the US. Let's look at the arguments for thrasing the Pakis by mil. force.

First,it is acknowledged universally that Pak is the epi-centre of Islamic terror.Paki-trained terrorists /jihadis matured during the days of fighting the Soviets during their Afghan "holiday". The West as good Cold War warriors confronted the Sovs. overtly and covertly using the Pakis as rent-boys who demanded a huge price for their perverted services.They are siphoned off vast qtys. of weaponry from the convoys delivering arms to the mujahideen.
When the Russians left,these indoctrinated Islamic fundoos,funded in large measure by Saudis like OBL and co.,realised that the West/US were the real enemy. Following Gulf War 1 and Saddam being kicked out of Kuwait,the settling down in the Arabian region by the US and co.,found the enemy now identified as the US/Crusader West. Pak was the safe haven for the nurturing of the future footsoldiers such as Al Q,ISIS and their fellow travellers.Like the fast food chains of the US,Islamic terror was outsourced and franchised,with the Pakis providing the route to on-site training in Afghanistan. In large part,this was also fuelled/funded by the Paki/ISI control of the Afghan drug trade,worth billions.THis saw them capture Afghanistan through their proxy the Taliban,who were the ruling brutes until the Saudis demolished the WTC in the 9/11 attacks. That saw the US squeezing the Paki state's ghoolies until they cried "uncle" and avoided annhilation,cooperating with the US ,allowing it to pursue and evict the Taliban from Kabul..

By hunting with the hounds (US) and hiding with hares (AL Q,Talibs,etc.) Pak managed to survive. It milked both the US and the Wahaabi fundoos brilliantly,In the bargain becoming a full-blown N-weapons state thanks to China,US chicanery,and turning a blind eye to Paki N-proliferation.
However,global events during the last decade have seen Pak more exposed and its continuing goal of being the ideological centre of Islamic extremism through its madrasas,jihadis under protection (just like OBL found safely ensconced next to Paki mil. base!),the continuous terror attacks against India,has exposed its perfidy to all. The US can no longer turn a blind eye to pak whiuch has promised ad nauseum to at least control its terror factories
to acceptable levels. The phenomenon of ISI and the attempt to establish a Islamic Caliphate (covertly by the US,Saudis and co.,thinking that they could control it),which got out of control,in the attempt to overthrow Assad and the Syrian regime, has made the US finally -under Trump,realise that unless pak is brought to heel,the global war against Islamic terror,now embedded in their own nations/backyard,cannot be defeated.

Dear leader Kim-3 is an irritant by comparison when compared with Pak and its maniacal military junta.The Afghan War has now gone on for 15+ years.The US is militarily exhausted.Why it wants a greater involvement from India,the major power in the region ,kept out of any Afghan solution until now. WE are totally against ground troop fighting in the Afghan War,but will do whatever it takes to help (with other nations) ensure the survivability of the Kabul regime,which Pak is doing everything through the Talibs/ISI to remove.Therefore the time has come for the US to put its money where its mouth is.Astonishingly,it can do so with very little blowback.

The US can enforce a sanction regime for one,both mil and economic ,plus ramp it up further with trade sanctions,bank trading bans on Paki entities,travel restrictions of the Paki elite.Freezing of their ban accts. globally These are the soft methods.The hard methods could start with an air and naval blockade and precisely targeted LRCM strikes against Paki mil and WMD sites of opportunity. The destruction of the Paki war machine must be the eventual goal.Pak cannot by any stretch of the imagination strike back at the US.It doe snot have the range and reach BM wise,and if it dares to hand over WMDs to jihadis,then it will be sent into the N-dustbin of history. By taking out Pak militarily,the US can send a v.powerful signal worldwide to would-be terror promoting/sponsoring nations. It would also cripple enormously the "womb" of Islamic terror globally and the continuous birth of jihadis in their millions.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

^^^ pure wet dream.... US is never ever going to take out Pak. If they wanted, they could have done it when Bin Laden was confirmed as present over there and all the while Pak were backstabbing them by keeping a chokehold on the supply lines to Afghanistan.

Also, think about what US would do once Pak is taken out.. how many nations will it become? Another set of refugees flooding to Europe, that too who is hard core and with lots of family connections in Europe. Who after ISI will keep India in check? UK currently helps out Pak in the hope of getting intelligence on the guys in Pak. Such arrangements will be hard to come by. How will china react? What about Iran?

So, much as we despise Pak, much as US knows that Pak are backstabbing scum-bags, they won't do anything since taking them out creates even bigger problems for them. Unless, jihadi-brained Pakis do something really stupid, I expect the status-quo to continue.
Garooda
BRFite

Post by Garooda »

disha wrote:
Garooda wrote:Their money, their decision.
now all of us must bow to thee.

Further point is the previous generation paid heavy price to fund our education (IIT or not) and if there is a true intention to give back - give back to ITIs., the outcome will be far better on the money spent., but of course it will not spread your fame wide.
Why would we bow to thee? Nobody is forcing anyone. Agree that it would serve better and additional cause if the individual would ALSO donate to IIT. He has donated funds to India based causes during Bubba Clinton era (might be politically inclined but regardless). Why should one expect from others? India has been self sufficient and worked hard towards prosperity on its own for the most part after 1947 and come very far in advancements. However I do agree that many people are in for the 'fame' even though they're highly educated and IIT graduates. I have met few who have used IIT as a spring board to overseas opportunities. They might chose to go with the local flow and get mixed up and mislead by the wrong crowd and causes due to lack of political knowledge, politically out of touch or political inclination ??? Who knows.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^
Their money, their decision.

For Some background about the above donation .. worth reading in full. WSJ story:
NYU Polytechnic Gets $100 Million Donation
Will be renamed the NYU Tandon School of Engineering in recognition of the gift

I will highly recommend to watch this video (10 minutes) of an Interview of Chandrika Tandon) to get some background on her. (Hopefully that may give some insight and stop speculative postings about their motives) (This interview is from 2011 - before the big donation to NYU)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

disha wrote:
Garooda wrote:Their money, their decision.
We are not questioning their decision., there is a subtle point you are missing. By a mile.

{Yes, some will say that the point is being missed in all not too subtle dislike you have shown for IIT'ans}

It is them masquerading their business investments as donations to the unwashed masses and further the original poster's intention (an iit'ian) to point out "oh look there is a great 'donation' by the gods to the unwashed masses and they happen to be an 'iit'an' - now all of us must bow to thee". { There was no such intention, I feel sorry for you if you you get upset but that is not the poster's problem }

Further point is the previous generation paid heavy price to fund our education (IIT or not) and if there is a true intention to give back - give back to ITIs., the outcome will be far better on the money spent., but of course it will not spread your fame wide.
Again instead of pontificating why not live by example, give as many millions you want of your own money to your own institutions or your own causes.? Why not get the results you want by applying the method you like???

Sorry to be harsh, but I find it beyond pale that even a routine news item here produced so many negative comments.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ISIS Sympathizers Planned to 'Create the Next 9/11' With Attacks on Concerts, Subways & Times Square: Feds
One of the person arrested is in Pakistan, a Paki with US citizenship waiting for extradition.
One pleaded guilty, hence details of the plot.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/Dep ... 80.2276289

the iit madras dept of biotechnology building was funded by a couple "bhupat and jyoti mehta" - name is on their board. just remembered from a drive we took there 2 years ago for fil to visit his old hostel.
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

It is her money she can give to whoever she wants but disha,s arguments are valid.
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

Amber G: <stupid cr*p deleted> why not live by example, give as many millions you want of your own money to your own institutions or your own causes.
Don't see why people of Indian origin cannot be dissed for mooching off the Indian public monies to get to where they are, and not giving back when they have the means to do so. It is their money and theirs to give, and it is also everyone else's right to call them a bunch of sphincters if they feel like it.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

periaswamy wrote:
Amber G: <stupid cr*p deleted> why not live by example, give as many millions you want of your own money to your own institutions or your own causes.
Don't see why people of Indian origin cannot be dissed for mooching off the Indian public monies to get to where they are, and not giving back when they have the means to do so. It is their money and theirs to give, and it is also everyone else's right to call them a bunch of sphincters if they feel like it.
I remember this was done by erstwhile Czechoslovakia, people who wanted to migrate to the West (mostly by marrying a foreigner, as they did not have much connection with the West, unlike DDR and Poland) were told first to return the money that the state spent on subsidized education, housing, health etc. Did not work. I do not think it would work today in India.
Now, as far as giving money in charity is concerned, I give my $5.00 or so that I can spare to whoever I want. I earned it honestly, per the laws of the land I live in, and so do not tell me what to do with it. I think the same principle applies to everyone, including Tata, Birla, the Ambanis, PIOs or NRIs.
Gautam
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^
Iran and USA have something similar today for education. Couldn't find a link for Iran, but here's the US program-

Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program

In India, if the true cost of higher education is charged to students, then this issue can be addressed.
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

I think the same principle applies to everyone, including Tata, Birla, the Ambanis, PIOs or NRIs.
Yes, it does. And if Tandon and Co. wants to spend it on their alma mater in the US and not on the their alma mater in India, that is up to them. I am just commenting on pompous nonsense by pretentious #$%s that if people are ticked off by the lack of gratitude to the system in India that provided a subsidized education, that such people are somehow uncouth or descpicable. Enough of this.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

CNN - US lectures on free trade can now be duly filed in round filing cabinet. and this is with canada - its super friendly neighbour and NATO deep state insider. :D

The U.S. Commerce Department has heaped another big tariff on Bombardier's new C Series jet -- a win for Boeing.

The department's International Trade Administration said Friday that it would recommend a 79.82% tariff on the import of each roughly 110-seat Canadian airliner.
The penalty stems from an allegation by Boeing (BA) that Bombardier sold the C Series to Delta Air Lines last year at "absurdly low prices" to undercut Boeing and win business.

The ruling comes on top of 219.63% penalty recommended by Commerce's ITA on September 26. The agency found that national and provincial governments in Canada had given improper subsidies to Bombardier when the company was struggling several years ago.
A final decision on the tariffs will be made by the International Trade Commission, a quasi-judicial U.S. government agency. That ruling is expected in February.

Friday's ruling means Delta or any U.S. airline that buys the Bombardier plane would have to pay what is essentially a tax of 300% on its purchases. If the tariffs go forward, Delta would be faced with canceling its orders of the jetliner or passing the additional cost onto customers.
Bombardier has fiercely denied it received subsidies and unfairly lowered the price of its CS100 airliner as part of a deal to sell Delta as many as 125 planes.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Rex Tillerson may club India, Pak for visit - Suhasini Haidar, The Hindu

I think the US has gone back to its old scheme of things, hyphenating and using India as a counterbalance for its own geopolitical advantages. India must discourage this strongly but I am not too sure if that would happen now.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is expected to visit India “later in October”, officials in New Delhi and Washington confirmed to The Hindu.

The modalities of the visit and the dates are still being discussed. Mr. Tillerson will become the fourth senior U.S. official to visit New Delhi after the Trump Administration took over. National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster arrived in April, Alice Wells, Washington’s top official for South and Central Asia, in July, and Defence Secretary James Mattis in September.

Significantly, as Mr. McMaster and Ms. Wells, Mr. Tillerson is expected to travel to both India and Pakistan on the same visit, indicating a sharp shift from precedent. During the Bush and Obama administrations, U.S. officials had avoided clubbing visits to New Delhi and Islamabad because of India’s sensitivities over a “hyphenation” of the U.S.’s relations with India and Pakistan.

New Afghan policy

The U.S. Secretary of State’s visit to India is likely to highlight growing ties between New Delhi and Washington, and growing cooperation between them on Afghanistan.

This follows President Trump’s announcement of his new South Asia policy, which has encouraged India to invest more in development projects in Afghanistan, while taking a much tougher line on Pakistan’s support to terror groups.

“We need to try one more time to make this strategy work with them … and if our best efforts fail, the President is prepared to take whatever steps are necessary,” Mr. Mattis, who is expected to visit Pakistan close on the heels of Mr. Tillerson, said at a House Armed Services Committee hearing on October 3.

Among steps the U.S. is believed to be considering against Pakistan is the cancellation of its Non-NATO ally status, further cuts to military and civilian aid to Pakistan, as well as targeted sanctions against officials believed to have links with terror groups.

However, while India has welcomed the U.S.’s avowed hard line on Islamabad, many may look askance at the newly revived policy of senior officials visiting both India and Pakistan on the same trip, which in the past gave the appearance of the U.S. “mediating” between the two countries.

Disquiet over remarks

Statements earlier this year by U.S. envoy to the UN suggesting that Washington was prepared to mediate to “de-escalate the India-Pakistan conflict”, as well as Mr. Tillerson’s suggestion that “India take some steps of rapprochement on issues with Pakistan” — in a reference to Kashmir — have added to the disquiet.

The Trump administration’s decision to merge the Af-Pak. desk (office of the Special Representative on Afghanistan and Pakistan) with that handling Central and South Asia has also been seen as another step towards rehyphenating India and Pakistan with a view to handling South Asia.

“In the context of Afghanistan, this may end up becoming a (India-Pakistan) hyphenation,” said India’s former Ambassador to the U.S. Arun Singh, who had earlier managed the Pakistan-Afghanistan desk.

“However, U.S. relations with the two countries have advanced in different directions. The U.S. is now focussed on Afghanistan and perhaps containing nuclear proliferation. Relations with India are much wider, so it is not possible to hyphenate India and Pakistan the same way as before,” Mr. Singh added.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Amber G. wrote:.
Again instead of pontificating why not live by example, give as many millions you want of your own money to your own institutions or your own causes.? Why not get the results you want by applying the method you like???

Sorry to be harsh, but I find it beyond pale that even a routine news item here produced so many negative comments.
You are wasting your breath debating with a bunch of sour pusses and people who have not donated a single rupee probably to anything.

During the last NDA govt with the Joshi as the Education Minister, there as a $20m grant from Gururaj Deshpande for IIT-M, where it was meant for a high end research in a few targeted areas. But no , Joshi believed in something called "Guru Dakshina" , meaning, the IIT grads, should go back and give money to the HRD ministry who can do their usual dole-patronage, spend it on other random idiocy and waste it nonsense. The original ground MM. Joshi had was on Nandan Nilekani giving money to his alma mater IIT-Bombay to improve hostel and mess and other infra and make it really really good.

Long point short, Deshpande took the $20m to MIT, where you have the Deshpande Innovation Centre. And to think that it could have been at IIT-M, doing that work here, really gets my gall no end. And look at the Spinouts from that centre and look at what we have missed.

Anyone who thinks that folks are going to hand over money to a bunch of faceless bureaucrats and feckless politicians are living in cloud cuckoo land.

You want funds ? Liberate the IITs and IIMs and other NITs and other colleges from the Baboons and the Politicos and let them go their way. But no, cant happen. Wont happen, because that means the Baboons and Mantris and others lose power and cant do command and control and stalinist giri.

So yeah. Ratan Tata gives $50m to Harvard, Chandrika (she is Indira Nooyi's sister if folks dont know) and her husband give $100m to NYU (despite she being from IIM, and her husband from IIT , IIM (I think) and also Harvard ) why? Because they know that in the hands of the baboons, their money will be swindled and wasted.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Clubbing India and Pak together however tenuous is a great insult.Pak is Terroristan,India the world's largest democracy.Tillerson should be told to stay at home if his trip is "clubbed".All he will get once he enters Paki airspace is whingeing ad nauseam about the threat from India.It will cloud and dilute whatever meaningful dialogue
that was held by both nations.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Given the previous 3 cabinet level visits from US without any protest from india, that (stay at home) isn't going to happen. So re-hyphenation it is.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

“However, U.S. relations with the two countries have advanced in different directions. The U.S. is now focussed on Afghanistan and perhaps containing nuclear proliferation. Relations with India are much wider, so it is not possible to hyphenate India and Pakistan the same way as before,” Mr. Singh added.
There, the focal para, highlighted.
JohnTitor wrote:Given the previous 3 cabinet level visits from US without any protest from india, that (stay at home) isn't going to happen. So re-hyphenation it is.
Just BTW, Mattis and Tillerson were expected to visit India as a team, to meet with their Indian counterparts, at the same time!!! This was agreed to during Modi's last visit. As part of upgrading the relationship (per both the nation's, not me saying it). The schedules did not work out this time around - this was reported in the papers during the visit of Mattis!!!

But ...............
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Wrong arguments vina. When ppl want they find way for targeted donation. Most revered founder built the new cse building of iitk ( earlier case used the top floor of computer center), the mehtas endowed the biotech bldg of iitm whose pic i posted above. Pio generally tend to give to their ms phd schools and maybe their kids schools abroad as they might feel they got the big break in life over there

It may not be as streamlined as outside thats all
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Kanwal Rekhi used to fund an endowment fellowship for scholars at TIFR.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Singha wrote:Wrong arguments vina. When ppl want they find way for targeted donation. Most revered founder built the new cse building of iitk ( earlier case used the top floor of computer center), the mehtas endowed the biotech bldg of iitm whose pic i posted above. Pio generally tend to give to their ms phd schools and maybe their kids schools abroad as they might feel they got the big break in life over there

Only as a FYI, not all, in fact most, universities in the US are not set up to produce what the likes of MIT, Harvard or Stanford do. Such schools have their own baby's too and compared to these three schools are highly inefficient. Yet they do contribute to the right cause and move the needle. It is cultural.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:Wrong arguments vina. When ppl want they find way for targeted donation. Most revered founder built the new cse building of iitk ( earlier case used the top floor of computer center), the mehtas endowed the biotech bldg of iitm whose pic i posted above. Pio generally tend to give to their ms phd schools and maybe their kids schools abroad as they might feel they got the big break in life over there

Neither Chandrika nor her husband went to NYU AFAIK it was Harvard and Yale. NYU is starting an engineering school again and it was an opportunity to get name on the building. Lots of people do it. Make a big enough donation and the school is named after you. nyu biz school after Leonard Stern, Cornell Med School after Will, the former travelers /Citigroup ceo.

In India, we name schools after random politicos, who instead of paying, loot and get their name on the board.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Just recalled a NPR broadcast under " freakeconomics". A Noble Price Eco proff at the University of Chicago complaining about how mismanaged was the school's endowment!!!! He stated he approached the manager, who showed the Proff the door. The Proff won the Price precisely for money management.

This narrative should be on a podcast. It happened about 4 weeks ago.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

vina wrote: Neither Chandrika nor her husband went to NYU AFAIK it was Harvard and Yale. NYU is starting an engineering school again and it was an opportunity to get name on the building. Lots of people do it. Make a big enough donation and the school is named after you. nyu biz school after Leonard Stern, Cornell Med School after Will, the former travelers /Citigroup ceo.

In India, we name schools after random politicos, who instead of paying, loot and get their name on the board.
Chandrika is on the NYU Board. Do not recall which one if there are more than one.

And then there was a huge backlash for renaming the Poly!!!
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Public feud brewing between Trump and Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN, head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee).

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/0 ... ion-243576

Why should India care? Because Corker is no friend of India.

During Ken Juster's confirmation as US Ambassador to New Delhi last week, Corker made the official remark:
Additionally, the space for civil society in India continues to shrink as Hindu nationalism rises and international NGOs face undue scrutiny
And this is not the first time Corker has gone to bat, publicly bashing India on behalf of Republican party-supported EJ organizations.

Jan 12, 2017: Corker supports an all-out attack on India's "restrictions" against Compassion International, spearheaded by Republican Cory Gardner of Colorado:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 494801.cms
WASHINGTON: An influential US lawmaker has urged US Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson to take up with India "ill-treatment" of Compassion International and get its license restored, alleging that the Christian charity has been target of "multiple coordinated attacks".

"Since 2014, Compassion (International) has been the target of multiple coordinated governmental attacks because of its unapologetically Christian belief, but it has been delivering humanitarian services to but it has been delivering humanitarian services to hundreds of thousands of Indian children," Republican Senator Cory Gardner from Colorado said during the Secretary of State confirmation hearing of Tillerson yesterday.

"But due to restrictions by the Indian government, they have been unable to fund its India operation since February of 2016, despite having broken no laws. I believe the State Department should take notice that this ill treatment of Compassion International should stop, and it is part of a broader pattern by the government of India, where other NGOs have seen similar problems," he said.

Senator Bob Corker, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee supported Gardner and said the House Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Ed Royce is also very concerned about this issue.
June 7, 2016: Just prior to Narendra Modi's visit to the US, Bob Corker lashes out at India regarding "human trafficking", another favorite atrocity-literature project of the Christian EJ NGOs.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnists/ ... house.html
As Prime Minister Narendra Modi travels to the United States, where he will receive the honour of addressing both Houses of Congress, he has surprisingly come under some unwarranted criticism from some members of that august Assembly. The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, Senator Robert Phillips Bob Corker of the Republican Party, publicly denounced India’s human right record and the current economic liberalisation programmes in progress. True, he wasn’t addressing us, per se, but was in fact, questioning Nisha Biswal, Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia, who was testifying at a hearing of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on India-US relations.

What appears to have angered him the most, apart from the hostility of the Modi Government towards foreign funding of Indian NGOs by American organisations such as the Ford Foundation, has been the slow progress on the India-US nuclear deal, which is still far from reaching fruition. Obviously, it just may well be that expectations of contracts for his home State of Tennessee may have something to do with his public display of angst.

What is particularly astonishing is his diatribe against what he considers as complete lack of prosecution against rising religious intolerance and “slave” traders in India. He is not just referring to “bonded labour” as we understand it, but as he says “what of people working for a dollar a day. How does a country like this have 12 to 14 million slaves in the year 2016? How does that happen?”
More context regarding the EJ-sponsored atrocity literature factory "Walk Free Foundation", whose figures Bob Corker has used to slam India this week during Juster's confirmation:

http://idrw.org/slavery-report-ploy-to- ... -in-india/
With a survey funded by US government assessing the number of “slaves” in India at 14-18 million, the highest in the world, the Modi government feels the documentation could potentially harm India’s image and exports and adversely impact efforts to eradicate forced labour.

“There is evidence of rising interest of private and multilateral institutions in highlighting human trafficking and forced labour as modern-day slavery, with India being the largest hub of slaves. Slavery documentation and laws, which include the annual trafficking persons report of the US, and anti-slavery laws of US/UK make it mandatory for businesses to declare that none of their suppliers are violating slavery norms/laws,” a government official pointed out.

Indian agencies say European corporations use the slavery assessments to fund NGOs to focus on alleged slavery in south India’s textile industry, which contributes 40% of the country’s textile exports. US senators have been quoting the alleged slavery figures for India at hearings in the Senate and coinciding with the PM Modi’s visits to US.

Many in India see this as a ploy by the US administration to bring pressure on India to dilute its stand on US NGOs like Compassion International that have been put in ‘prior permission’ list, requiring them to seek prior clearance for all contributions to Indian NGOs.

The US had passed a law in 1999 on human trafficking, giving itself powers to impose sanctions on countries which are not doing enough to tackle the problem. This was also when it began issuing annual reports and grading countries. India was on Tier 2 watchlist upto 2011 (a level above the lowest) but subsequently categorised as Tier 2, a fact mentioned by head of the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee Bob Corker at Tuesday’s confirmation hearing for Kenneth Juster for the post of US ambassador to India. By 2013, there was a fresh attempt by western NGOs and US to start calling human trafficking as modern day slavery, covering forced labour, child labour, sex and child trafficking, domestic servitude and women facing issues at workplace.

The term now refers to any stituation in which a person has taken away another’s freedom so they can be exploited.

Walk Free Foundation (WFF), which conducts the annual global surveys to estimate slavery, was created by Australian mining baron Andrew Forrestin 2012 and reportedly endorsed by Hillary Clinton, Tony Blair and Bill Gates.
Corker has repeatedly used (1) figures contrived by motivated EJ organizations and (2) figures related to employment/standard-of-living that have nothing to do with bonded labour or forced exploitation (e.g. 12- 14 million people living on "less than a dollar a day") to deliberately distort India's record and fabricate a narrative of India as a Hindu-nationalist state that violates human rights and stifles (conveniently Christian) NGOs that allegedly work to alleviate the suffering of the exploited.

Trump going to war with him is a good thing.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Please to kindly look up trafficking of women to exclusive bases used by overseas troops in South Korea starting 1945.

The liberal US publication Salon has an excellent article on it. Definitely one of the virtues of democracy.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Nice touch by Foggy Bottom.They've sent us a "Jester" to Lutyens Bagh.Well,"every court must have it's clown",as the famous saying goes!
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Why is it that we dont call their track record in dealing with racial tensions in USA, racial profiling, discrimination is not uncommon (though not as prevalent as in UK)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Actually, Singhaji - you really do not have a good picture.. suggest do some research.
People like Desh Deshpande (who BTW has given equal or more money to IIT than MIT), all not alone. Just the annual gift typically is in tens of millions of dollars just one IIT like IITK..For many of us, largest contribution to charity goes back to our IIT's. Insha-allah the goal of setting a fund of $1 Billion will be achieved.

With P.M Modi (who makes it a point to meet Indian origin scientists and engineers and is proud of them) who is reducing red-tape and corruption only makes it much better. With make-in-india, start-up india etc..I hope it really will be a win-win. (Already there are billions or dollars for start-up initiative, innovation fund etc if some one wants to start new things in India - like solar energy etc..)

Many do not know, but let me just share this WSJ article -
The Indian Institute of Technology ranks fourth after Harvard, Stanford and the University of California (but ahead of MIT or Oxford) when it comes to Billion Dollar startups.. Not bad at all.
Unicorn Nursery: Outside the U.S., India’s IIT Produces the Most Billion-Dollar Startup Founders
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Wow!!! It still continues!
periaswamy wrote:
Okay, some will say it is also their right (actually duty) to diss those absolute losers who,
do not contribute any money of their own to their causes, do not like to succeed, diss anything positive done by others, denigrate successful people as "moochers" (because "they feel like it") and ad-hominem attack other posts as "cr*p".

Fair enough?

I posted the item in US-India thread because that is what P.M Modi priorities are. This is why he has made so much effort to meet people of Indian origin - instead of just dissing them. I really did not except so much takleef.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks this gift giving preferences thread is ideally for GDF which doesn't exist anymore. Suggest please take it to other forums.
Thanks, for the understanding.

ramana
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

amberg: (deleted) because "they feel like it"
Yes, people have a right to opinions, just like you do here, when you seem to assume that "people who criticize do not contribute anything whatsoever"..surely that much is obvious. Sorry for OT, Admins. I will post no more on this.