India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by Prem »

Lalmohan wrote:Henry f&*&%$g Kissinger?!?!?!
Iranian Mullah ?
May be new Brazilian leader.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Viv S wrote:
Supratik wrote:Trump didn't come due to Russian arms deal and Iran oil deal.
Or maybe he had other commitments at the time (golf maybe). Or maybe, with his plan to hold a parade in DC being a wash out, his advisers are steering him clear of anything that would revive the media narrative on national parades.

Or maybe even more likely, neither he nor his entourage wanted to inhale Delhi's January air (I remember that being a big deal when Obama was in town).
I think all of you are missing the elephant in the room. I know this sounds like a CT, and maybe it is one, but I posit that its the Congoon ecosystem in cahoots with 'South Asia' cabal and think tanks in US that impressed upon Trump's handlers to call this off. And to me the reasons are obvious.

But first recall some background:

1. How the BIF cabal impressed upon previous US govts (under Bush/Obama) to humiliate ModiJi (and by default all of his supporters) by denying him a US visa.

2. Trump bahadur first and foremost is a white Christian nationalist, and his top priority is towards his people, and to this end, even if he has a personal rapport with ModiJi, if someone impresses to kick ModiJi on his b@alls because it is in US interests, he will do it.

So, here are the issues surrounding the elephant in the room:

1. Had DT come to India, and in a joint press conference, he bashed TSP in no uncertain terms, imagine how the internal dynamics in India would have played out. The BJP haters would have been despondent. In contrast, the BJP/RSS/RW folks would have gone berserk, and dare I say even those on the fence who are 'pseudo secular' but reasonably nationalist.

2. And of course the 'South Asia' cabal in US (think tanks etc) knows that given Islam as the common thread between TSP and Indian Muslims, DT stridently castigating TSP alongside ModiJi would have energized the RW and the average Hindu voter like none other. Alienating Indian Muslims will not augur well to fight the perception that US foreign policy is ‘anti Muslim’ (they need useful idiots). Furthermore, CIA/Pentagon would also impressed upon DT that appearing to be too close to ModiJi in the heart of India will simply demoralize and humiliate TSP that they would rather implode than accept this US humiliation. Thus, a DT visit would have pretty much decided the 2019 election on 01/26/19, and TSP would have plummeted to further depths.

3. Not the topic of this thread, I might also add that BIF is working overtime with Hindus hating 'South Asia" cabal in US/UK and elsewhere that there is not even a chance in thin air that Vijay Mallya, Nirav Modi etc will be extradited to India before 2019 general elections. The electoral gain to BJP will be staggering should any of these criminals be extradited.

4. Finally, again, not the topic of this thread, but just see how the activist supreme court deferred the Ram Janmabhoomi decision. Why? Once again, you guessed it, no way BJP will be allowed to reap electoral dividends.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Could the DT decision actually have been made in Dilli? Just speculating. With US election underway, maybe Indian Babus decided that bringing DT there at this time is not the smartest thing to do, but allowed WHOTUS to do the cancelling? Really no skin off anyone's nose here. There is no major trade deal/ military alliance to sign and have foto ops, so this R'Day tamasha would be wasted. It sounds like some over-enthusiastic giggly babu's idea.
Coming and doing a "v r having elephants too!" nonsense session in January would have very slim benefits.
Maybe much better to do it closer to desh election? When Melania can wear miniskirt and show her "courage"? Come to think of it, if Mel.. Bibi wore a sari she would win a few hundred million votes and nicely cancel our Soniaji.
CRamji, attributing Indian SC foot-dragging to political foresight seems a bit far-fetched. TheirHonner buggers probably just decided to take another vacation. (yawn!)
They were going to dispose of 19 (count' em) Petishuns on Sabarimala ... let's see... last Tuesday. Postponed to ..this Tuesday ? Which is over. Maybe next month? Absolutely no work ethic in evidence, forget thinking. Ram Janmabhoomi would require spelling that long word. Too much trouble. Maybe next year.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Most ppl here may not remember Jimmy Carter's "Cold Blunt Memo" SNAFU back circa 1978. In one second he undid all the positive sentiment that he had generated in India with his "70mm smile" and his Mom the EJ.

Danger in getting POTUS vijit when there are ongoing disagreements.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

CRamS wrote:I think all of you are missing the elephant in the room. I know this sounds like a CT, and maybe it is one, but I posit that its the Congoon ecosystem in cahoots with 'South Asia' cabal and think tanks in US that impressed upon Trump's handlers to call this off. And to me the reasons are obvious.
With all due respect, that does sound like very much like a CT. There's no elephant in the room because the visit of a foreign dignitary, even one as important as the US President, doesn't have a significant impact on the Indian polity.

No cabal was able to stop Obama from visiting India, and there's little chance that they can influence Trump. Nor, while we're at it, did Obama's visit have any real impact on India's internal affairs. It was a big deal for a week or two and then everyone forgot about it.

A Trump visit would have been no different aside from the inevitable gaffe or two. He'd come, share an awkward hug with the PM, watch the parade, read from a speech (probably bashing Pakistan a bit), make a few off-the-cuff remarks to the media and return home. A week later, it'd be business as usual.

The main talking point in the domestic and foreign media, as well as in the political arena would likely have been the air quality in the Delhi-NCR region in January - how many cigarettes a day breathing the air is equivalent to, and how many hours was Trump's lifespan shortened by.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ don't forget rapes
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CRS from what I hear the South Asia cabal of US experts is sitting in Delhi giving regular seminars to the Lootyens mafia.
Despite your CT, Trump visit would have bad optics in an election year in India.
It would be seen as endorsing Namo.
And this non-visit will have consequences after the results.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Pakis will not buy, nor will any middle-easterners. No market for F-16s at all.. it is getting replaced by JSF. The khans think, we are dumb because we think a little organic.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

g.sarkar wrote:
mappunni wrote: Gautamji,
Have lived in Texas for over a decade plus. The sun down laws are you talking about is from the Jim Crow era. During my drives to visit family in San Antonio or Houston, I avoid interstate highways and take state highway weaving thru small town Texas and even have stayed at B&B in small Hill county towns. No form of overt racism exists. Most of the convenience stores and gas stations are owned and operated by Indians, mind you I am talking about really small towns.
You might have been told wrong information about Sun down laws.
Mappunniji,
Let me get back to you on this.
Gautam
Mappunniji,
As promised, I am getting back to you.
My friend, who was a parole agent in CDCR is currently living in Texas,and working in a Child Protection Agency, after retirement. I approached him again and he told me that there are many areas that he has been advised not to go, as the local Sheriff's office will not protect him and the locals to do not allow African-Americans to come and stay the night. This is Texas 2018, not Jim Crow era.
One such place is Vidor, Texas. It is 97.33% white.
Please refer to: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/08/oppenh ... down.town/
There are many similar towns such as Jasper,Texas. Racism, KKK etc. thrive in small towns now-a-days. Towns that are backward and underdeveloped with high unemployment. Not cities where most Indians live. If you wish, I can ask him to detail a list about other areas that still have a Sun-down law. Now he might be exaggerating, but I know him personally and we have worked together as peace officers and faced some tricky situations together. So, he has earned my trust.
Also please refer to: http://www.kut.org/post/there-are-84-ac ... -any-state
and: https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti ... -election/

I do not doubt that you have driven through small towns and did not find any racism in Texas. People were friendly to you. But please understand, that as a well educated Indian you deal with a different sort of people. It is not your job to deal with racists and other criminals. Above all you may not look black and your accent is not black. When I started working in a prison near Stockton, CA, back in 1989, my colleagues told not to take up residence there without consulting them as there were areas where it was not safe. I laughed at them then, but now I know correct they were. Stockton is infested with gangs and the murder/violent crime rate is high. You can look Stockton up for criminality. But if you were to drive through the city, you may not have seen any thing unusual. But that does not mean they do not exist. The same criminals may come to prison and tell you where they live. And you think: Wow, that is only a mile from where I live.
Gautam
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

US agrees to give oil waivers to India, 7 other nations under iIran sanctions
NEW DELHI: The US has agreed to let eight countries -- including Japan, India and South Korea -- keep buying Iranian oil after it re-imposes sanctions on the OPEC producer on November 5, a senior administration official said.
Cheers Image
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, I am not following the US mid term elections at all, but question to those who are. Came across this headline from HT:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-ne ... Iuz2J.html

US midterm polls: All eyes on Indian-Americans, 4 of 12 incumbents seek re-election
Is this DDM hype to suggest 'all eyes on Indian-Americans" or is there any truth?
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

CRamS wrote:Is this DDM hype to suggest 'all eyes on Indian-Americans" or is there any truth?
DDM hype. Three of the four are running in safe seats. The fourth, Ami Bera, has a narrower edge in a light blue district and will most likely win as well.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

g.sircar, Interesting. I can back you up on Stockton. I live in better part of the town and no one would believe Stockton has such bad reputation when they visit me. True it is infested with gangs (I was on grand jury and had a quick lesson about them). BTW my wife is in CDCR. Small world, eh?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the sanction waivers are temporary... so a solution will need to be found
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

US waiver on Iran oil gives government comfort till polls - Sidhartha
NEW DELHI: The US government’s decision to allow India import oil from Iran despite the sanctions is valid till the first week of May and will help the Narendra Modi government avoid any pressure till the conclusion of its current term and also open the window to push exports of several goods — from foodgrains to pharmaceutical products and auto parts.
Cheers Image
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Happy Diwali to you all!

As for as watching midterm results - too be honest I am quite stressed. :) This is for the first time. (I have voted in every US election for 40+ years, and sometimes watched the returns on TV, but have NEVER been this stressed or personally worried for my candidate's winning). I think this is a very critical election. I have seen *many* - even diehard, lifelong and well-known republicans - are telling us they are voting straight democratic ticket. I have done the same - for the first time!.

As to desis here, I will be watching the results with one of the candidates in the election watching party. We have one of my son's friend running for a judgeship and another one running for US congress in our district. Both are very bright and honest and proud of their Indian roots - kind of qualities a parent like in their children.

According to one reporter I know, she said that record number of Indian-origin people (and record number of them women) are running for various seats in US this election. Many more than I have seen in any of previous elections.

As to all US citizens here, if you have not voted please vote. It is important to know that every vote matters - pay no attention to polls.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

AmberG, Good luck to those two candidates.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^Thanks but only blue wave I see is blue mood :) around. As far as I am concerned - this is not for local candidates. I am concerned for US .. general mood of US where fear, racism and ugly politics is new normal.

BTW for local candidates - for US congress (candidate was a completely a new young guy and no one even heard of him 2 years ago) came up with a close race (about 5 points) against 11 terms (22 years) congressman in very heavy republican district. I am not worried or even sad for them. And he still has old elected post . The person running for judge has bright future no matter what.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

The future:

The rich live behind electric fences in the hills with pvt militia security

The poor live in the lowlands and work for amazon delivery
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

its ok though, the poor can eat each other
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Samosa Caucus' fails to increase its strength in US midterm.
None of the more than half a dozen new Indian Americans candidates, many of whom caught national attention by giving tough fight to their opponents and outraising them in the fund raisers, could make it to the House of Representatives, which is equivalent to Lok Sabha in the Indian parliament.

However, Indian-Americans picked up more seats in the State assemblies. The community sent its member Ram Villivalam for the first time to the Illinois Senate and also elected a Muslim Indian-Amerian Mujtaba Mohammed to the North Carolina State Senate.

Chicago-born Villivalam, elected unopposed, also became the first Asian-American State Senator and the first South Asian-American member of Illinois General Assembly ever.

For the first time, more than 100 Indian-Americans had entered the race in this mid-term elections, of which over 50 were on the ballot on Tuesday.

Among them 12, including four incumbents, were running for the House and one for the Senate: a record in itself.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Wrt to desi's in this US election to put this is in perspective - (Also personal reflections )
- Largest number - historically ran this year and had and I am pleased with the success..
Few notables in US Congress -
Illinois - One Desi (Republican) lost to another Democratic Desi - Raja Krishnamoorthi.
Popular people like Pramila Jaypal, Ro Khanna (an IIITian's son :) ), Ami Bera - all won easily .. (there outcome was not in doubt)
---
One "email inventor real indian" lost to "fake Indian" badly --- oh well India it self has quite a few interesting characters in India too.

I feel bad for US but close to home (Ohio), I am okm in fact pretty happy with the results.. For example In state assembly we have one of the youngest Indian American won the reelection. (Not too long ago - he won as a 23 year old). Senate race was not influenced by all the negative campaign,

For Aftab - he lost but no-one gave him any chance when he decided to run against a very popular 11 time incumbent in a very heavy republican territory ... everyone was surprised - even DJT made multiple special trips to here to help as the elections got close. (BTW he won a local seat - which he still will have - in 2016 which was, a big surprise .,,
More important business - Happy Diwali to everyone. May all the photons, gravity-waves, and colliding black holes produce fire-works and merging neutron stars shower gold.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Now that is the day after the Tuesday elections are over and results have crystalized, what is the impact to India- US relations?

1) Trade and commerce
2) Immigration visas
3) Support in NSG and other three letter groups
4) Targeting India under UCRIF etc.
5) Support for Make in India
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

More important business - Happy Diwali to everyone. May all the photons, gravity-waves, and colliding black holes produce fire-works and merging neutron stars shower gold.
Happy Diwali to everyone here as well! May a supernova in a distant galaxy shower us with neutrinos. Maybe SN2018A?

To answer Ramana's questions:

1. Trump has done (politically) well and will be emboldened to use tarrifs, don't expect India to escape this, but rather I think the GoI with Modi and company will know how to handle the Don until Jan. 2025.
2. Immigration visas will be curtailed, but the 5 jewel Indian IT companies have already scaled back, so the impact won't be too bad on them. It will be bad for the F-1 grad student/post doc trying to get OPT. Hopefully US companies now getting tax breaks will put some pressure on DT admin - or at least through damadji.
3. There will be silence on NSG and P-5 membership as India is on a back burner for this admin. Which is fine as long as trade increases and attention isn't brought up about India. India's exports of goods to the US are up over 10% from this time last year. US imports to India are also up near 12% from same time last year. India-US trade of goods ONLY should be about $85 billion for 2018 and will overtake France at number 8 in the US's top 10 trading partners. If you include India-US trade of goods and services, it may well be at South Korea trade levels. I think around 2021, India will be a top 5 trading partner of the US.
4. I don't know, but it does appear GoI is working hard to secure a DT to visit India in the coming year.
5. Don't expect it openly, but privately yes.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Mort, Have you heard of the term Sovereign refusal in diplomacy.
If DT continues to bully India, US will face that for first time in their 250 odd years of history.

I like your broad spectrum thinking.
Please do continue and bash on regardless.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

AmberG From my contacts

here are the highlights:
Josh Kaul was elected Attorney General of Wisconsin, becoming the only Indian American to currently serve in statewide office.

We re-elected all of our incumbents, including all four Members of the U.S. House of Representatives: Congressman Ami Bera, Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Congressman Ro Khanna, and Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi.

We elected at least six new state legislators - Padma Kuppa (Mich.), Kevin Thomas (N.Y.), Nima Kulkarni (Ky.), Mujtaba Mohammed (N.C.), Amish Shah (Ariz.), and Ram Villivalam (Ill.) - and we're still waiting to hear about Mona Das (Wash.). Of note, Kevin, Nima, Amish, and Ram will be the first Indian Americans to ever serve in their state legislatures.

In Fort Bend County, Texas, KP George unseated a long-time incumbent in his race for County Judge and Juli Mathew won her campaign for county court at law.

While our Congressional candidates came up short in their races, each of them vastly outperformed past challengers in their districts. We are extraordinarily proud of the campaigns they ran (and hope we'll see them on the ballot again!).
I found raised for Bera.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rudradev wrote:
Rudradev wrote: We can hope for the best i.e. that Trump reaches a rapprochement with Putin such that CAATSA becomes a non-issue for us. But we are clearly a "secondary" player in the US' eyes... US policy towards India will be reactive to and dependent upon the outcomes of its policy initiatives towards Russia and China, not the other way round.
krishna_krishna wrote: Rdevji, how does Iran fall into this puzzle in your opinion. Nikki ben gave diktat of staying away from any dealings or else face the sanctions.

We need Iran and more importantly chabahar do you think EA ministry will show spine to stand up for our interests ?
Iran (and Turkey) are envisaged by Steve Bannon as cornerstones of a new bloc that will be led by China.

Trump, being a hopelessly corrupt individual, is constrained by how much economic pain he can inflict on China vs. the profit motive for his khaandaani interests (witness the ZTE about-turn and the more recent "trade war" downhill-skiing). The pro-globalist Deep-Staters in Trump sarkar (Mnuchin, Mattis, and probably Pompeo) recognize that Trump's corrupt personal interests are in tune with traditional globalist Deep-State interests. So they will move him away from confrontation with China using this as a carrot. Meanwhile people like Peter Navarro, Wilbur Ross, Steve Miller etc. will push Trump towards confrontation with China (with Bannon's worldview as their guiding beacon).

In turn, the Neo-Wilsonian Deep-Staters will try to forge a compromise: let the hardcore Jacksonian Trumpists (Steve Miller, John Kelly and others of their ilk) enjoy unhindered power to clamp down on domestic issues (immigration, gay rights, affirmative action, abortion, gun issues etc.) but leave foreign policy and international trade policy to be run by the traditional Deep-State establishment. This is what I think is going on in Washington.

Given this handicap (the fact that globalist Deep-Staters continue to intervene on China's side), the US will find it very difficult to pry China away from Turkey and Iran, or anybody else. China sees itself as rising, sees America (accurately) as failing, and will be in no mood to make compromises like in the Deng/Jiang/Hu era. They will demand their cake and eat it too. The side effect of this is that Iran will become more beholden to China, hence less likely to collaborate with India in ways that discomfit China's poodles (namely Bakistan).

As far as our own relations with Iran are concerned, first I'd like to say that I avoid talking in terms of "showing spine" because that is unnecessarily applying perceptional constraints on HOW the GOI does things, rather than WHAT they do. It is perfectly possible to pursue our interests in Iran 100% while showing a big smile and pehle-aap tehzeeb to the Americans. The Americans don't really have that much leverage over us-- they are threatening tariffs against India, CAATSA sanctions against India, and all manner of punitive measures in any case, so what more are they going to throw at us if we continue dealing with Iran? India and Iran will continue to trade in non-dollar currencies. If India's engagement with Iran turns out to disappoint, it will be more a function of Iran doing China's bidding than India being pressured by the Americans. JMT.
Rudradev, Take a bow for this post.

Try to polish it as an article for publication in one of the Indian portals. And do this by Thanksgiving.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

deleted.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

ramana wrote:AmberG From my contacts

here are the highlights:
Josh Kaul was elected Attorney General of Wisconsin, becoming the only Indian American to currently serve in statewide office.

We re-elected all of our incumbents, including all four Members of the U.S. House of Representatives: Congressman Ami Bera, Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Congressman Ro Khanna, and Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi.

We elected at least six new state legislators - Padma Kuppa (Mich.), Kevin Thomas (N.Y.), Nima Kulkarni (Ky.), Mujtaba Mohammed (N.C.), Amish Shah (Ariz.), and Ram Villivalam (Ill.) - and we're still waiting to hear about Mona Das (Wash.). Of note, Kevin, Nima, Amish, and Ram will be the first Indian Americans to ever serve in their state legislatures.

In Fort Bend County, Texas, KP George unseated a long-time incumbent in his race for County Judge and Juli Mathew won her campaign for county court at law.

While our Congressional candidates came up short in their races, each of them vastly outperformed past challengers in their districts. We are extraordinarily proud of the campaigns they ran (and hope we'll see them on the ballot again!).
I found raised for Bera.
Thanks ... Talking about Bera ..

Much has been said about the newly elected members of the US Congress but here is an interesting aspect that has garnered less attention.
(Statistics involves unprecedented number of women etc .. which I agree is notable)

This time we have also elected an unprecedented number of Physicists, mathematicians, engineers, doctors, and other scientists. It seems that Indian American families are having some good effect on US politics :) . (I can even say even son of at least one IITian is in US congress now).

Per news reports in this new US Congress we have (at least) :

2 Physicists, 1 Mathematician, 1 Microbiologist, 1 Chemist, 8 Engineers and 15 Doctors. (Demographic similar to a gathering in some Indian families I know here in US) :)

The new winners will bolster the much needed understanding in Congress for issues like climate change, energy policy, cybersecurity, healthcare etc and I hope more scientists are involved in the decision-making leadership.

As you know, along with Bera, another desi from Bay area is Ro Khanna (Lawyer/Economist degree but his father is an IIT engineer :) )

(There is a PAC which funds/supports scientists/engineers to run for election - mostly because of DJT''s anti-science (climate change etc) stand - the candidates endorsed by this PAC, IMO has very good success this election year. This will also be good news for US/India relationship as current leadership in India too values science)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I helped his campaign in in his first two runs. In fact I met him in 2009 and saw him grow from close.
Off late he is trying to out do Amanda Cortez.

He might get some committee assignments.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Thanks. As you know Bera has served in House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology)
BTW 314 Action (the pack I talked about) did get quite a bit of success..It's part of "resistance" .. as DJT, is among other things, bigot/anti Science - policies on Global warming, energy, etc is very dangerous.

Engineers and Scientific people may find this background (old article in Scientific American) interesting. (As many issues apply to Indian politics too.
For Scientists Running for Congress, Victory Doesn't Depend on Science
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I personally feel that General thrust of US Trade demands on India is fair. We need to reduce importing Chinese Crap and encourage more US imports. China uses top Indian industrialists to influence policy makers to change customs duty profile in its favour. US uses blunt stick as it's difficult for US Companies to pay bribe easily. China uses bribes as Geopolitical strategy.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Bera once talked about a seminar he attended at MIT on 'Future of work". And challenges to work force.
Not just focussed on health issues.
uskumar
BRFite

Post by uskumar »

Gyan wrote:I personally feel that General thrust of US Trade demands on India is fair. We need to reduce importing Chinese Crap and encourage more US imports.
3 aspects of us trade demands bothers me.
1. They place us in same pedustial as China even though we have always run trade deficit and consistently run current account deficit. In fact only thing that is saving us is our remittance.
2. Us doesn't take into account billions remitted to it through tax havens. As example Google does not book any of its revenue of 12k crores in India.
3. Us companies are most reluctant in investing in India and making it part of their supply chain, unlike Chinese companies. Contrast the case of apple and xiamo investment in India. Most of investment after trade war has gone to Vietnam, Thailand and Philippines. They prefer to invest in authoritarian countries than India.

Iam yet to see any impact of strategic relationship in economics and Trade. I believe only way for us to forge our path is more protectionism. Reduce trade deficit to zero by dramatically increasing tax on imported goods, ensure data localisation to ensure splinternet and cancel free trade agreements with have high trade deficit like ASEAN countries except Singapore and South Korea. Ensure free movement of capital but not free movement of companies. That is only way to achieve Swaraj.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Amber G. wrote:^^^ Thanks. As you know Bera has served in House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology)
BTW 314 Action (the pack I talked about) did get quite a bit of success..It's part of "resistance" .. as DJT, is among other things, bigot/anti Science - policies on Global warming, energy, etc is very dangerous.
I don’t think this is an entirely accurate description. Appropriations come from the US House of Representatives. There are always back and forth games in appropriations between the adminstration and congress to get what the administration wants. On the surface it appeared to be a blood bath, but FY18 budget was largely the same. Remember this administration has had only one FY budget and another must come by Dec. 7th when the continuing resolution expires. If NASA wants its EOS birds they have to tell the admin they will be used to observe the border to keep out colored peoples. ;). It worked with Reagan when we told him the SSC could be pointed at Soviet missles and shoot them down. Then named the Waxahacie, TX facility as the Ronald Reagan Center for High Energy Physics. Too bad the Clinton admin cancelled it in 1992.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The recent waivers of Indian arms purchases from Russia and oil from Iran, Chahbahar port development is a positive sign reflecting a pragmatic approach by the US regarding legitimate Indian interests.

This is very welcome as sanctions would've destroyed the growing bonhomie and security ties between the two .If India is going to be the bulwark today against Chinese fascist neo- imperialism in the Asia- Pacific , or Indo- Pacific as some may describe the vast iexpanse of the globe, it has to be allowed to prosper economically and strengthen its defence in the manner in which it wishes.

No nation other than Russia is willing and has provided India with its most advamced weaponry especially N-subs anf such tech. plus it best ABM system like the S-400, offered its finest stealth fighter, etc., etc. That too at affordable cost.Secondly, it has consistently supported India diplomatically and both nations have a general convergence of diplomatic positions on global issues.
It is only in Afghanistan where there appears to be some divergrnce in- the Ru attempt to bring in the Taliban into the power equation.After Pres.Putin's visit, India seems to have agreed to explore the option with the latest round of talks where sr. ex-MEA diplomats will hob-nob with the Taliban for the first time.

So where does this leave Indo-US relations? Thankfully this restraint to impose sanctions upon India which would've been very badly received in the country , resulting in India most definitely putting a brake upon Indo- US strategic ties and a freeze on buying US weaponry, also sending us into considering a closer interaction with China in an Indo- Russo- China triad of some limited cooperation, which would've been catastrophic for our ties with the US.The huge Indian diaspora in the US has been a very positive i nfluence in improving Indo- US ties as more Indian origin Yanquis get into positions of power and influence in the US and West.

Who woild've ever imagined that one Leo Varadkar would become the Irish PM! I predict that we will see in this century the first Indian origin US pres. and that ties will continue to grow and prosper provided the same sane pragmatism just shown becomes permanent and Indo- US relations are not held hostage to our inseperable ties with Russia ,not reducing the same to a zero-sum game.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

DT tweeted a series of three tweets to be read together about Diwali in White House.
And nominated and Indian American woman to fill Kavanaugh seat.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

X-posted from Terroristan thread but relevant here...
Peregrine wrote:‘Mainstreaming’ of terrorists by Pakistan a threat, PM tells US VP – TNN

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi pointed out the “mainstreaming” of figures involved in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks in the recent elections in Pakistan, a clear reference to Lashkar chief Hafiz Saeed, during his interaction with US vice-president Mike Pence in Singapore on Wednesday.

Briefing journalists on the Pence meeting, foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale said, “He (Modi) did point out that the mainstreaming of people involved in the Mumbai attacks in a political process which has taken place in the recent elections in Pakistan should be a matter of serious concern not just to the two countries — India and the US — but to the international community.”

PM Modi also reminded the US vice-president that in one way or another all the traces and all the leads in global terror attacks ultimately lead to a “single source and single place of origin”, in an apparent reference to Pakistan.

The foreign secretary said, “There was a sense of convergence both on bilateral issues and on global issues and we look forward to taking the relationship in coming months and in 2019”.

“There was some good understanding of the areas of how we move forward in building cooperation on counter-terrorism and both countries recognised this is a challenge which we have to fight together and to fight along with the rest of the international community,” Gokhale said.

India also called for an early end to negotiations for an Asian free trade agreement, the regional comprehensive economic partnership.

Modi and Pence continued their discussion on maintaining a free and open IndoPacific. “Spoke about our shared vision of a free and open & reaffirmed our commitment to strengthen security and counter-terrorism cooperation and coordination,” Pence tweeted after the meeting.

Modi became the first head of government to address Singapore’s famous FinTech festival. Pitching India as the “best” investment destination for global tech giants. He said India is experiencing a digital revolution of unprecedented speed and scale that has enabled financial inclusion of 1.3 billion Indians. “Technology is defining competitiveness and power in the new world and it is creating boundless opportunities to transform lives,” Modi said.

The PM also met his Australian counterpart, Scott Morrison, Thailand PM Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, as well as Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong.

Cheers Image
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Cope India 2019 is going on and there is no coverage here on BRF.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... -won-38232
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Hillary brings along the Muslim Brotherhood princess Huma Abedin as her guest to the Ambani wedding. Wonder how much the Indian taxpayer is forking out to protect pro Paki Clinton and her entourage.
Hillary Clinton and her closest confidant Huma Abedin traveled to India this weekend to attend a lavish wedding hosted by the country's richest family that has generously donated to the Clinton Foundation.

The former Democratic presidential candidate and her aide are attending a nearly weeklong celebration of the marriage of Isha Ambani, the 27-year-old daughter of Mukesh Ambani, India’s richest and the world’s 19th richest man whose wealth valued around $43 billion.

The presence of Clinton and Abedin is unsurprising since the bride's father has been working with Clinton’s foundation for years, donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to the controversial non-profit.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hillar ... te-concern