India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20612
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby chetak » 27 Jun 2019 10:32

Pulikeshi wrote:
ramana wrote:DT


Ironic - in the heydays of NAM - India was the one morally sermonizing the US :mrgreen:
Shame same achievement onlee



they don't care about our minorities, how can they, when they never ever gave a rat's about their own.

they are trying to assert themselves at the very start of Modi's second term so as to lay the foundation for future interventions. They may be expecting Modi to be a more assertive and a different kind of "partner" in his second term

this is all part of their pressure tactics to recoup some of the damage done by the FCRA rout and ease the pressure on the flow of rice bags and ensure a free run for their shady minions and their well practised dunk in the water routines.

looks very much like it did not work.

at this point in time, its only the US and possibly cheen that have some semblance of a say with Modi. All the rest of the goras seem to have retired hurt, as they say in cricket.

sooraj
BRFite
Posts: 1081
Joined: 06 May 2011 15:45

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby sooraj » 27 Jun 2019 11:25

India must withdraw tariffs: Trump

"I look forward to speaking with Prime Minister Modi about the fact that India, for years having put very high Tariffs against the United States, just recently increased the Tariffs even further. This is unacceptable and the tariffs must be withdrawn!" Donald Trump tweeted.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 66601
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Singha » 27 Jun 2019 11:34

aptly put Chetak sir, as you always do.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 66601
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Singha » 27 Jun 2019 11:35

Vikas wrote:Why does Indian establishment reacts to the reports published by Al-Amreeki institutions ? Why give credibility to such toilet paper reports ?


its better not to react or come up with our own positiv neuj report. responding is just defending our innocence on backfoot.

Haresh
BRFite
Posts: 821
Joined: 30 Jun 2009 17:27

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Haresh » 27 Jun 2019 18:05

chetak wrote:Apart from referring to violence against minorities, the US report, released on 21 June, also alleged that some senior leaders of the BJP "made inflammatory speeches against minority communities".


Really, and Trump??

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... e-victims/

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 53478
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby ramana » 27 Jun 2019 22:37

Singha wrote:
Vikas wrote:Why does Indian establishment reacts to the reports published by Al-Amreeki institutions ? Why give credibility to such toilet paper reports ?


its better not to react or come up with our own positiv neuj report. responding is just defending our innocence on backfoot.



In Western narrative if you dont refute their charges you have accepted them.
Or in Sanskrit
"Maunam ardha angikaaram" or Silence is half acceptance.

DT is in election mode and is on a rampage to browbeat India as China will hurt him back.
I had said don't expect changes for 18 months and explained a few pages ago.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12873
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Suraj » 28 Jun 2019 01:48

WTO panel rules in India’s favour in renewable energy case against US
A WTO dispute resolution panel has ruled in favour of India in a case against the US saying that America’s domestic content requirements and subsidies provided by eight of its states in the renewable energy sector are violative of global trade norms.

The panel concluded in its ruling that “the measures” of the US “are inconsistent” with certain provisions of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), the World Trade Organisation (WTO) said in a statement Thursday.

It said the US has “nullified or impaired benefits accruing to India under that agreement”.

The GATT aims to promote trade by reducing or eliminating trade barriers like customs duties.

The ruling stated that ten measures implemented by the US pertaining to renewable energy sector are inconsistent with its obligations under GATT 1994.

In September 2016, India had dragged the US to WTO’s dispute settlement mechanism over America’s domestic content requirements and subsidies provided by eight states in the renewable energy sector.

Washington, California, Montana, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Michigan, Delaware and Minnesota were the eight states providing subsidies.

US: we get to impose tariffs but you can't retaliate!
India must withdraw tariffs from US goods, says Trump ahead of his meeting with PM Modi at G20 Summit
India’s imposition of recent retaliatory tariffs on US goods is not acceptable and they must be withdrawn, the US president Donald Trump said Wednesday in a tweet in view of escalating trade tensions between the US and India. He expressed his willingness to hold talks on the contentious issue of trade tariffs with the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of G20 summit in Japan this Friday. This will be the first meeting of Modi with the US President Trump in his second tenure as the Prime Minister of India.

“I look forward to speaking with Prime Minister Modi about the fact that India, for years having put very high Tariffs against the United States, just recently increased the Tariffs even further. This is unacceptable and the Tariffs must be withdrawn!,” Trump tweeted today ahead of his meeting with Modi in G20 Summit. Trump has many times called India a tariff king.

India in June imposed retaliatory tariffs on 28 US goods including apples, almonds and walnuts after the US ended trade exemptions for India from June under the generalised system of preferences or GSP for India, which allowed tariff-free exports of up to $5.6 billion.

In March 2018, the US had imposed tariffs on imports of aluminium and steel from India at the rate of 10 per cent and 25 per cent respectively. India postponed the imposition of trade duties in a bid to iron out its differences with the world’s largest economy the US in a trade negotiation.

CRamS
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6512
Joined: 07 Oct 2006 20:54
Contact:

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby CRamS » 28 Jun 2019 19:46

Guys, anybody watch Trump Bahadur and ModiJi meeting clip at G-20? I like the fact that it was mostly about trade, and thats the way it should by IMO. Given the huge, huge power disparity between the countries and as I have many times said, the civilizational gap, talk of this strategic partnership BS is just useless hot air. Best relationship between a mighty superpower like USA and a developing country like India is transnational. A somewhat boring relationship just as Trump sounded: business as usual, trade, trade, and trade. I love that.

But what I don't get is his BS about ModiJi's landslide election win by bringing the "fighting factions together". I love the absolute racist condescending worldview of his towards non whites like us SDREs :-). Believe me, thats exactly how Trump bahadur views India and TSP, " naughty boys fighting each other".

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/video/p ... 2019-06-28
Last edited by CRamS on 29 Jun 2019 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7920
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Mort Walker » 28 Jun 2019 19:59

Yes I watched the Modi - Trump meeting on Republic TV. It was interesting to watch Trump’s face while Modi was speaking at length in Hindi. He didn’t look bored and listened patiently which is amazing since Trump has a form of ADHD. I thought the lady translator didn’t emphasize what the PM was saying - it was like Google translate.

Has there been anymore discussion or explanation of what Modi said about JAI - Japan America India ? Or is it only a catchphrase? I thought it was a new trilateral agreement or cooperation the way Modi was speaking.

Trump is an open racist, but previous presidents would mince around words to pretend they weren’t. With Trump you know know where you stand. Only a transactional relationship. When India becomes a top 5 trading partner of the US, will we expect to see some change. This is possible by 2030.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12873
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Suraj » 28 Jun 2019 21:52

ramana wrote:
Singha wrote:
its better not to react or come up with our own positiv neuj report. responding is just defending our innocence on backfoot.

In Western narrative if you dont refute their charges you have accepted them.
Or in Sanskrit
"Maunam ardha angikaaram" or Silence is half acceptance.

That's not something I would agree with. One does not need to refute, but one is obliged to respond. The difference is that a refutation assumes acceptance of the basic credibility of the other party to make the claim, and therefore the focus is on the claim and a denial. A response can be more broader, and can focus on destroying their moral standing while altogether ignoring the claim itself.

I *never* refute arguments made like this elsewhere on the interwebs. I respond by dismantling their moral standing. The immediate response is always "focus on the subject", to which my response to them is that I do not even recognize their authority to place blame regarding the subject upon another party, and continue to attack their standing. I'm accused of being an "Indian nationalist", to which I simply respond that a US/British/whatever nationalist calling me an Indian nationalist basically cancels out the namecalling.

The one thing that cuts to the quick is when their self-styled moral throne is attacked. That is considered verboten, and therefore logically what I do is ignore the claims against India and focus on their moral standing onlee.

The Chinese have always followed this approach. We spend far too much time 'refuting', when we should instead focus on a particular aspect of the Western psyche: they see themselves as the moral authorities. They define what the terms are (whether or not they themselves follow it is not relevant - they typically fail the eat-your-own-dogfood-test badly themselves), and others are obligated to respond, and the discussion will be led to terms of their choosing.

India shouldn't stay quiet. We needs to have the polish to have an arm of government or under cover of an 'NGO' annually publish a nicely done report on global trends in religious freedom, focusing on US, EU, UK, TSP, PRC, and the Aussies as separate sections. Each one of them has enough skeletons literally falling out of their closets.

nachiket
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7227
Joined: 02 Dec 2008 10:49

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby nachiket » 28 Jun 2019 22:10

Suraj wrote:India shouldn't stay quiet. We needs to have the polish to have an arm of government or under cover of an 'NGO' annually publish a nicely done report on global trends in religious freedom, focusing on US, EU, UK, TSP, PRC, and the Aussies as separate sections. Each one of them has enough skeletons literally falling out of their closets.

Against the US a better line of attack would be treatment of racial minorities. We can use the huge list of incidents of black people getting killed by cops (who escape justice). Plus the treatment of hispanic immigrants at the border, family separations, children put into cages, Muslim ban etc. There is a LOT of ammo available.

darshan
BRFite
Posts: 1169
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby darshan » 28 Jun 2019 22:46

One just needs to pull up information from NAACP, ACLU,CAIR, etc. And combine that with information from non resident Hindus on discrimination, impeding of temple building, temple destruction,..., harassment of brown kids in schools, discrimination in school admissions, biased law enforcement, biased justice system, church driving govt policies,..., the list just goes on when talking about injustices in the Western world.

Prem
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21089
Joined: 01 Jul 1999 11:31
Location: Weighing and Waiting 8T Yconomy

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Prem » 28 Jun 2019 22:53

Mort Walker wrote:Yes I watched the Modi - Trump meeting on Republic TV. It was interesting to watch Trump’s face while Modi was speaking at length in Hindi. He didn’t look bored and listened patiently which is amazing since Trump has a form of ADHD. I thought the lady translator didn’t emphasize what the PM was saying - it was like Google translate.

Has there been anymore discussion or explanation of what Modi said about JAI - Japan America India ? Or is it only a catchphrase? I thought it was a new trilateral agreement or cooperation the way Modi was speaking.

Trump is an open racist, but previous presidents would mince around words to pretend they weren’t. With Trump you know know where you stand. Only a transactional relationship. When India becomes a top 5 trading partner of the US, will we expect to see some change. This is possible by 2030.

Check these pictuers to get few clues . PM Modi seems to be at ease.
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1144640312276586496
Japan: Earlier pictures of G20 leaders attending dinner party hosted by Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe at #G20Summit in Osaka.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12873
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Suraj » 28 Jun 2019 23:00

Prem wrote:Check these pictuers to get few clues . PM Modi seems to be at ease.
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1144640312276586496
Japan: Earlier pictures of G20 leaders attending dinner party hosted by Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe at #G20Summit in Osaka.

Considering the hosts are the Japanese, that seating arrangement HAS to be a deliberate subtle message to PRC - Japan-America-India (JAI) seated across from Eleven.

Pulikeshi
BRFite
Posts: 1505
Joined: 31 Oct 2002 12:31
Location: Badami

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Pulikeshi » 29 Jun 2019 04:01

Suraj wrote:
Prem wrote:Check these pictuers to get few clues . PM Modi seems to be at ease.
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1144640312276586496
Japan: Earlier pictures of G20 leaders attending dinner party hosted by Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe at #G20Summit in Osaka.

Considering the hosts are the Japanese, that seating arrangement HAS to be a deliberate subtle message to PRC - Japan-America-India (JAI) seated across from Eleven.


That is epic trolling! Not subtle at all! :rotfl:
If you understand Tamil - Garuda Saukiyama :mrgreen:

Prasad
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7391
Joined: 16 Nov 2007 00:53
Location: Chennai

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Prasad » 29 Jun 2019 07:28

It isn't necessary for GoI to bring up ACLU, border camps etc or even any of its organs. One of the loudmouth party guys can do so or one of the "intellectuals". But our opposition & "intellectuals"are the ones who testify in their hearings that sky is falling so no hope from there. Only mango Abdul's have to bring it up on socmed.

darshan
BRFite
Posts: 1169
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby darshan » 29 Jun 2019 08:38

The key piece missing is centralized information collection. Go to any islamic organization and you would be thrown very well organized information at you or for any muslim to throw at you or in social media. I’m not aware of any Hindu organization that can tell me how many targeted crimes were committed against Hindus. For example, in Sunnyvale incident it was Hindus who were victimized but muslim organization cashed in as victims while Hindu authorities didn’t show up till very late and when they did they pretty much let muslims drive the narrative. Hindus have long ways to go and the centralized information databases are of need. It’s typical for an average Hindu to google and run away from the debate due to no easy access to information.

Suresh S
BRFite
Posts: 727
Joined: 25 Dec 2008 22:19

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Suresh S » 29 Jun 2019 08:44

You guys are too quick for me. Yesterday this is exactly what I was thinking. This crappy religious freedom BS report from ameerika.My response would be to attack this buggers without responding to their fake report at all.We must have a govt funded NGO or u call it whatever but attack these buggers . you can not let it pass, it damages our standing in the world.The entire western history of last 500 hundred yrs is about thievery, robbery, mass murder, attacking country after country and looting their resources. people always critisize Gengiz khan for brutality , rightly so but these westerners have done lot more pillage and murder than many gengiz khans combined but always trying to hide behind hypocracy and propaganda. This must be exposed.

darshan
BRFite
Posts: 1169
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby darshan » 29 Jun 2019 09:01

Opindia had reported it few days ago though got attention due to Pompeo. For example, there are many books that talk about atrocities on Hindus but they don't get on top of the Google search. At the same time, there's no follow on to works of people like Goel. Need summarized and today's version. Throwing books at people doesn't work. Pictures, graphs, the latest information, etc. work better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7724&start=320#p2362599

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20612
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby chetak » 29 Jun 2019 09:16

CRamS wrote:Guys, anybody watch Trump Bahadur and ModiJi meeting clip at G-20? I like the fact that it was mostly about trade, and thats the way it should by IMO. Given the huge, huge power disparity between the countries and as I have many times said, the civilizational gap, talk of this strategic partnership BS is just useless hot air. Best relationship between a mighty superpower like USA and a developing country like India is transnational. A somewhat boring relationship just as Trump sounded: business as usual, trade, trade, and trade. I love that.

But what I don't get is his BS about ModiJi's landslide election win by bringing the "fighting factions together". I love the absolute racist condescending worldview of his towards non whites like us SDREs :-). Believe me, thats exactly how Trump bahadur views India and TSP, " naughty boys fighting each other".

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/video/p ... 2019-06-28



every single crazy in the world and his/her brother/sister spend a lot of time trying to spin the single point that Modi has won by a humongous margin solely to solve their problem.

In slightly different ways, trump says it, as do the cashmeris and pakis as well as the paki funded lootyens liberandus, urban naxals, commies and all manner of anti nationals, roler and roper pasandis nattering on and on about "majoritarianism", "viswas" and "dara hua mussalman"



if only all these large numbers of non voting crybabies :mrgreen: had simply gone out there and voted against Modi, he probably would not have made it.


can't imagine the deluded cashmeri terrorists and paki terrorists like imran khan niazi and his ilk saying that now that Modi has become more powerful, he will "solve" the cashmeri "problem" simply by handing it to the pakis on a golden plate, liberally drizzled with really expensive $250 for a pint of 50 year-old balsamic vinegar!


Logically, wouldn't any "powerful" entity solve things in his way, to his benefit and not in the way his weakass enemies are hoping that he will by giving away everything to them.

India has the strongest government in decades and equally the pakis have their weakest government in decades and im the dim still doesn't get it.

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3886
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 13:06

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby KLNMurthy » 29 Jun 2019 11:12

chetak wrote:
CRamS wrote:Guys, anybody watch Trump Bahadur and ModiJi meeting clip at G-20? I like the fact that it was mostly about trade, and thats the way it should by IMO. Given the huge, huge power disparity between the countries and as I have many times said, the civilizational gap, talk of this strategic partnership BS is just useless hot air. Best relationship between a mighty superpower like USA and a developing country like India is transnational. A somewhat boring relationship just as Trump sounded: business as usual, trade, trade, and trade. I love that.

But what I don't get is his BS about ModiJi's landslide election win by bringing the "fighting factions together". I love the absolute racist condescending worldview of his towards non whites like us SDREs :-). Believe me, thats exactly how Trump bahadur views India and TSP, " naughty boys fighting each other".

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/video/p ... 2019-06-28



every single crazy in the world and his/her brother/sister spend a lot of time trying to spin the single point that Modi has won by a humongous margin solely to solve their problem.

In slightly different ways, trump says it, as do the cashmeris and pakis as well as the paki funded lootyens liberandus, urban naxals, commies and all manner of anti nationals, roler and roper pasandis nattering on and on about "majoritarianism", "viswas" and "dara hua mussalman"



if only all these large numbers of non voting crybabies :mrgreen: had simply gone out there and voted against Modi, he probably would not have made it.


can't imagine the deluded cashmeri terrorists and paki terrorists like imran khan niazi and his ilk saying that now that Modi has become more powerful, he will "solve" the cashmeri "problem" simply by handing it to the pakis on a golden plate, liberally drizzled with really expensive $250 for a pint of 50 year-old balsamic vinegar!


Logically, wouldn't any "powerful" entity solve things in his way, to his benefit and not in the way his weakass enemies are hoping that he will by giving away everything to them.

India has the strongest government in decades and equally the pakis have their weakest government in decades and im the dim still doesn't get it.


They aren't all that stupid. They are betting that appeals to the well-known Hindu vanity--wanting to see themselves as the bigger person--will pay dividends. History is on their side. Think of Indira Gandhi giving away the store at Simla when she held all the cards, when Bhutto appealed to her vanity. Further back, Prithviraj Chauhan betrayed his country just to appear magnanimous in his own eyes.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20612
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby chetak » 29 Jun 2019 12:14

KLNMurthy wrote:
chetak wrote:

every single crazy in the world and his/her brother/sister spend a lot of time trying to spin the single point that Modi has won by a humongous margin solely to solve their problem.

In slightly different ways, trump says it, as do the cashmeris and pakis as well as the paki funded lootyens liberandus, urban naxals, commies and all manner of anti nationals, roler and roper pasandis nattering on and on about "majoritarianism", "viswas" and "dara hua mussalman"



if only all these large numbers of non voting crybabies :mrgreen: had simply gone out there and voted against Modi, he probably would not have made it.


can't imagine the deluded cashmeri terrorists and paki terrorists like imran khan niazi and his ilk saying that now that Modi has become more powerful, he will "solve" the cashmeri "problem" simply by handing it to the pakis on a golden plate, liberally drizzled with really expensive $250 for a pint of 50 year-old balsamic vinegar!


Logically, wouldn't any "powerful" entity solve things in his way, to his benefit and not in the way his weakass enemies are hoping that he will by giving away everything to them.

India has the strongest government in decades and equally the pakis have their weakest government in decades and im the dim still doesn't get it.


They aren't all that stupid. They are betting that appeals to the well-known Hindu vanity--wanting to see themselves as the bigger person--will pay dividends. History is on their side. Think of Indira Gandhi giving away the store at Simla when she held all the cards, when Bhutto appealed to her vanity. Further back, Prithviraj Chauhan betrayed his country just to appear magnanimous in his own eyes.


in the end, it usually comes down to what you say.

they will grovel and beg that India being the big brother, we should concede everything to "our" younger brother as is his right to expect and demand.

they are shameless beggars as has been proven time and again.

That is exactly they have paid presstitutes and lootyens liberandus whom they have expensively "pal ke rakha hai" just so that they can push the paki view when most needed.

But enough is enough. It's time to kick ik niazi right in his cricket b@!!$ and get on with our nation building.

g.sarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2095
Joined: 09 Jul 2005 12:22
Location: MERCED, California

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby g.sarkar » 29 Jun 2019 16:45

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/27/73653767 ... -trade-war
Opinion: Don't Let U.S.-India Trade Differences Escalate Into A Trade War
ALYSSA AYRES, June 27, 2019
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited India this week as the Trump administration's first Cabinet-level envoy to the newly re-elected government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Pompeo's visit, ahead of Friday's Trump-Modi meeting at the G-20, occurred amidst tension: escalating trade differences threaten to overshadow recent progress in strategic ties.
It would be tragic if the Trump administration forgot why India matters to larger U.S. interests, and failed to reverse the slide into competitive trade grievances poisoning the atmosphere today. India — the world's largest democracy — has just become the world's fifth-largest economy, per recent International Monetary Fund data, and is now an increasingly active security provider in the Indo-Pacific region. It is an open Internet economy, a demographically young and aspirational country, and one sensitive to and already battling the effects of climate change. India is a crucial part of every major issue of the global commons, due to its sheer scale.
India famously charts its own diplomatic course, eschewing alliances and always focused on its independence. But China's greater assertiveness over the larger Indian Ocean region has helped draw New Delhi and Washington closer over the years, with a shared sense of the need to preserve a rules-based international order across this vital region. Successive U.S. administrations, since Bill Clinton's visit to India in 2000, have worked to deepen strategic ties, given both countries' shared commitment to what is now termed a "free and open Indo-Pacific." In 2016, India was named a Major Defense Partner of the United States, a unique designation created to bridge the gap between India's independence and a U.S. system built around alliances.
Yet convergent views on, say, freedom of navigation have never been matched by convergence on market access. Ask any U.S. trade negotiator, current or former, about India and the response will be a lengthy list of problems. The U.S. Trade Representative's annual National Trade Estimate on trade barriers illustrates the variety: high tariffs, price caps on medical devices, import bans, import quotas on things like peas, beans and lentils, food product approval problems, intellectual property rules, barriers to services industries and dozens of other specific issues.
Due to the complexity of some of these (don't ask about dairy), negotiators have worked for years to make incremental advances without notching complete successes. And in the past two years, the Modi government has shifted backward on market openness, with some increased tariffs on a few dozen goods, new regulations on e-commerce and a push for data localization in its growing digital economy.
.....
Historically, India has not responded to sanctions (it withstood three decades of nuclear nonproliferation sanctions) and is unlikely to change its own decisions under threat of sanctions and tariff wars. So if the Trump administration now takes steps to sanction India due to its Iran procurements and its acquisition of the S-400 system from Russia, and then launches a special probe into India's market barriers, it will further escalate what has become an unnecessarily intensified trade spat. Moreover, the trade-war tactic has failed to solve old problems, has layered on new ones, and worse, has created doubts in India about Washington's reliability as a partner.
......
_______________________________________________________________________________________
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/tr ... a711366c36
Trump doubles down on trade war with India
By Joanna Slater, June 27
NEW DELHI — President Trump believes trade wars are good and easy to win. Now he has a new target firmly in his sights: India.
En route to the Group of 20 summit in Japan on Thursday, Trump lobbed a fresh salvo at India, a country the United States has sought to cultivate as a friend and strategic partner. Trump tweeted that he was looking forward to speaking with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the summit “about the fact that India, for years having put very high Tariffs against the United States, just recently increased the Tariffs even further. This is unacceptable and the Tariffs must be withdrawn!”
Trump’s tweet came only a day after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited the Indian capital of New Delhi with the goal of calming tensions between the world’s two largest democracies, which include a nascent trade war. During his visit, Pompeo called for a “new age of ambition” in ties between India and the United States. But his talks with Indian officials did not generate tangible progress to bridge differences over trade.
Here’s a brief guide to Trump’s latest trade conflict:
Why are the United States and India in a trade war?
There has been low-grade trade friction between the two countries for some time. Last year, Modi raised tariffs in a protectionist move viewed as currying favor with voters and businesses ahead of this year’s national election. Then bilateral talks to resolve narrow but long-festering issues — such as India’s price caps on certain medical devices — collapsed. Meanwhile, India said that it intended to require foreign companies to store data locally and announced a review of the rules around e-commerce, moves that alarmed U.S. technology and financial giants.
......
Gautam

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3470
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby kit » 29 Jun 2019 17:38

Image

Trump gonna love this picture :rotfl:

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie
Posts: 11626
Joined: 23 Oct 2001 11:31
Contact:

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby A_Gupta » 29 Jun 2019 18:04

Suraj wrote:That's not something I would agree with. One does not need to refute, but one is obliged to respond. The difference is that a refutation assumes acceptance of the basic credibility of the other party to make the claim, and therefore the focus is on the claim and a denial. A response can be more broader, and can focus on destroying their moral standing while altogether ignoring the claim itself.


+108

Guddu
BRFite
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Dec 2008 06:22

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Guddu » 29 Jun 2019 20:37

kit wrote:Image

Trump gonna love this picture :rotfl:

Xi's constipation has not improved since previous pictures...India needs to export Isabgol to reduce trade deficit.

Vikas
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6301
Joined: 03 Dec 2005 02:40
Location: Where DST doesn't bother me
Contact:

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Vikas » 29 Jun 2019 21:52

Even if India brings down tariff at the level DT is demanding, How much realistically US exporters can make from Indian Markets. What India wants from USA, India anyways buys it like defense and Hi-tech items. Selling Harleys, apples and almonds would not even count for chillar.

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 792
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby krishna_krishna » 29 Jun 2019 22:34

Vikas wrote: Selling Harleys, apples and almonds would not even count for chillar.



U.S. goods exports to India in 2018 were $33.1 billion, up 28.9% ($7.4 billion) from 2017 and up 87.3% from 2008. U.S. exports to India account for 2.0% of overall U.S. exports in 2018.

The top export categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: precious metal and stone (diamonds) ($7.9 billion), mineral fuels ($6.2 billion), aircraft ($3.0 billion), machinery ($2.2 billion), and optical and medical instruments ($1.6 billion).

U.S. total exports of agricultural products to India totaled $1.5 billion in 2018, our 18th largest agricultural export market. Leading domestic export categories include: tree nuts ($662 million), cotton ($329 million), fresh fruit ($163 million), dairy products ($48 million), and prepared food ($33 million).

U.S. exports of services to India were an estimated $25.8 billion in 2018, 8.6% ($2.1 billion) more than 2017, and 157% greater than 2008 levels. Leading services exports from the U.S. to India were in the travel, intellectual property (computer software, audio and visual related products), and transport sectors.

Source : US Trade Representative website

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3470
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby kit » 29 Jun 2019 23:54

chetak wrote:
KLNMurthy wrote:
They aren't all that stupid. They are betting that appeals to the well-known Hindu vanity--wanting to see themselves as the bigger person--will pay dividends. History is on their side. Think of Indira Gandhi giving away the store at Simla when she held all the cards, when Bhutto appealed to her vanity. Further back, Prithviraj Chauhan betrayed his country just to appear magnanimous in his own eyes.


in the end, it usually comes down to what you say.

they will grovel and beg that India being the big brother, we should concede everything to "our" younger brother as is his right to expect and demand.

they are shameless beggars as has been proven time and again.

That is exactly they have paid presstitutes and lootyens liberandus whom they have expensively "pal ke rakha hai" just so that they can push the paki view when most needed.

But enough is enough. It's time to kick ik niazi right in his cricket b@!!$ and get on with our nation building.


I ll give little bro his due if he recognizes Balochistan as an independent state and returns POK :mrgreen:

even one will ensure Modi as defacto leader for foreseeable future!

g.sarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2095
Joined: 09 Jul 2005 12:22
Location: MERCED, California

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby g.sarkar » 30 Jun 2019 00:55

Vikas wrote:Even if India brings down tariff at the level DT is demanding, How much realistically US exporters can make from Indian Markets. What India wants from USA, India anyways buys it like defense and Hi-tech items. Selling Harleys, apples and almonds would not even count for chillar.

DT has to show that he is impartial. So, he has to beat up on some one else along with China. India fits the bill in every respect. Other nations must learn from this lesson and start toeing the line and start importing from USA in a massive way. The problem is what can they import? USA is only ahead in defense related products and that can not be exported to future enemies. And there is agricultural products and you can import only so much of Soybeans for your four legged pigs to eat. The US wants India to be in a subservient position as Japan and Germany was after 1945. Unfortunately, if India did not bend in the 50s, 60s and 70s, when it was financially very weak, there is no reason for it to bend now, when the US is much weaker and can not offer much to India. Direct intimidation is not going to work.
Gautam

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20612
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby chetak » 30 Jun 2019 15:03

ANI Verified account @ANI Jun 28

#WATCH US President Donald Trump meets Prime Minister Narendra Modi before the start of Session 3 at #G20Summit in Osaka, Japan



https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1144789598398287875

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20612
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby chetak » 30 Jun 2019 15:05

g.sarkar wrote:
Vikas wrote:Even if India brings down tariff at the level DT is demanding, How much realistically US exporters can make from Indian Markets. What India wants from USA, India anyways buys it like defense and Hi-tech items. Selling Harleys, apples and almonds would not even count for chillar.

DT has to show that he is impartial. So, he has to beat up on some one else along with China. India fits the bill in every respect. Other nations must learn from this lesson and start toeing the line and start importing from USA in a massive way. The problem is what can they import? USA is only ahead in defense related products and that can not be exported to future enemies. And there is agricultural products and you can import only so much of Soybeans for your four legged pigs to eat. The US wants India to be in a subservient position as Japan and Germany was after 1945. Unfortunately, if India did not bend in the 50s, 60s and 70s, when it was financially very weak, there is no reason for it to bend now, when the US is much weaker and can not offer much to India. Direct intimidation is not going to work.
Gautam



they can always start a marshall plan for India now.

Singha
BRF Oldie
Posts: 66601
Joined: 13 Aug 2004 19:42
Location: the grasshopper lies heavy

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Singha » 30 Jun 2019 15:37

realistically other than computer chips , boeings, jack daniels and food products there is not much material goods that US can export to india. biggies like cars are made in india by likes of ford.

there is a lot more of services, software, entertainment that US exports.

also lot of US cos do manufacture in india (and china) - automobiles, machine tools, construction machinery, engines, consumer durables, textiles and what not. US brands carry a good brand value

abhik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2524
Joined: 02 Feb 2009 17:42

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby abhik » 30 Jun 2019 16:59

That $25 billion of services exports sounds quite healthy, and given they have complete dominance in the "Tech" sector (Google, Facebook etc - I'm actually hoping the chinese start rolling out their services so we can have some competition at least) - it will grow rapidly in the coming years.
Also US is the only of the few major country with whom we have a significant trade surplus - surely we can throw them a bone from time to time.

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3470
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby kit » 30 Jun 2019 17:26

US trade numbers wrt countries

https://www.ustradenumbers.com/countries/

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20612
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby chetak » 30 Jun 2019 17:31

Singha wrote:realistically other than computer chips , boeings, jack daniels and food products there is not much material goods that US can export to india. biggies like cars are made in india by likes of ford.

there is a lot more of services, software, entertainment that US exports.

also lot of US cos do manufacture in india (and china) - automobiles, machine tools, construction machinery, engines, consumer durables, textiles and what not. US brands carry a good brand value



the ONLY reason that they are engaging with us on trade matters is to ensure weapons sales.

All the rest is a mere smokescreen.

The amount of Indo US trade excluding defence sales is not enough to merit the full time attention of even someone like the whitehouse assistant gardener who most probably is an undocumented alien.

Its a big deal for trump and so it is a big deal for guys like boeing and lockheed martin and their ilk

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3470
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby kit » 30 Jun 2019 17:50

Its time someone starts a thread for the economics of weapon sales, buy or build? Granted any "top notch" weapon will be "top notch" only for a few years and upgrades tie the country to the seller, how much should one perceive as a trade-off? What i mean is the answer to India's surplus is NOT more purchase of weapons. Let the US invest in India in education and infrastructure, even defense and make money out of it., this outright buying is simply a way of reckless spending ., those billions are better invested in India

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7920
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Mort Walker » 30 Jun 2019 22:19

chetak wrote:
ANI Verified account @ANI Jun 28

#WATCH US President Donald Trump meets Prime Minister Narendra Modi before the start of Session 3 at #G20Summit in Osaka, Japan



https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1144789598398287875


Modi did not ignore him, rather he had more pressing matters.

Governing India is a helluva lot tougher than governing the US. The PM is the consummate hard worker for this position. Making the lives of over a billion people of a country with limited resources is a mighty task and Modi is the right person to do this. The US government runs on autopilot thanks to the strengths of its institutions like national security and the courts.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20612
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby chetak » 30 Jun 2019 22:29

Mort Walker wrote:
chetak wrote:


Modi did not ignore him, rather he had more pressing matters.

Governing India is a helluva lot tougher than governing the US. The PM is the consummate hard worker for this position. Making the lives of over a billion people of a country with limited resources is a mighty task and Modi is the right person to do this. The US government runs on autopilot thanks to the strengths of its institutions like national security and the courts.


I didn't interpret this like a whole lot of others did, that is to say that Modi ignored trump.

I saw the informality of two people who are well known to each other and as a consequence of that friendship are comfortable with each other.

This is not how one would react with xi or even with Theresa may but Modi would be able to pull it off equally comfortably with Putin, Abe and for sure with Netanyahu.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7920
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Postby Mort Walker » 30 Jun 2019 22:30

^^^Perhaps so. I suspect they talk a lot on the phone.


Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chinmay, MSN [Bot], s_gopal and 78 guests