India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by chetak »

arshyam wrote:Amber G-ji, with all due respect, you are looking at/posting what's being said. People are rightly sceptical of that since what's being done is what really matters, and there is no let up to the under-the-surface hostile activity via shady and crooked actors that offer plausible deniability to the ones in positions of authority. If anything, the Soros-backed elements are shifting to a higher gear, as he himself has said. Now, Garcetti by himself may not be able to do much, and GoI is anyway ready for any nonsense as I'd speculated above. So it does not really matter. But we on BRF should not be taken in by "rah-rah" statements and buy into the narrative without question. As SJ has said repeatedly, whether election season has started in Delhi, it has started in London and New York, so we should be watchful.

Beware of Greeks suddenly bearing gifts - that's the summation of all the scepticism here.
Besides all this, any number of ex diplomats, especially those who have done tenures in paxstan and really ought to know better have started to pen op-eds in papers like the toilet, essentially pushing that same old rabid and also discarded line of "aman ki tamasha", insisting that aid be generous to the jihadis, food be donated and a friendly SL like package in terms of some billion$ be given away to the jihadis, so that south asian "security and cooperation" is enhanced to benefit the aam jantha.

these are the unprincipled, unethical, and amoral freeloaders who are scrambling to clamber onto the track thoo bandwagon where kabab, sharab, kharab, shabab (for the cognoscenti) and विलासिता भरा mehmaan nawazi

so, essentially, what these traitors are proposing is that the majority forgive the targeted atrocities and the soros backed, commie driven, jehadi championed agenda and strengthen those very BIF which are out to destroy the idea of India.

If India has managed to run these many years without a US ambassador, why have one now, just a short while before 2024.

The saudis still don't have a US ambassador and they have been waiting longer than India

If it was the intention of the US to "teach" the saudis a "lesson", they have failed spectacularly because the saudis have just replaced their US schoolmaster with a cheeni schoolmaster.

Similarly, there are many tens of other countries in the same predicament (without a US ambassador) and none of them are the worse for it

They are banking on the two failings of the Indian civilization, short memory and the ingrained sense of fatalism to overcome all opposition to these overtures as well as counting on the fatal flaw of the poorly developed sense of shatrubodh.

garcetti is another brick in this wall.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

spot on arshyam and cheat gaarulu !
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

I've known Mukesh Aghi, nice guy for photo opps but pretty much useless. His opinion means nothing really.

The fact that MEA and US officials are making the right noises doesn't by itself prove anything. Neither side will say anything contrary.

My scepticism comes from the fact that the US chose someone with no specific achievements as the ambassador for "the most critical relationship for the future etc etc" and it took 2 years to approve him. No learning hindi by itself doesnt qualify. By that token, we have a few 100 million who can speak English to choose from don't we? And we have a few hundred mayors of cities of similar size. If we named someone from that pool how would that look?

So lets see - true colours will be revealed quite soon.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

There is some woke garbage lady in Chennai consulate working with DMK and other divisive entities printing anti-Hindi/Bihari T-shirts in TN and KA.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

chetak wrote:Image
Who?
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

The amount of coverage given to this garcetti dude is mind boggling. He is already grappling with sexual misconduct charges in LA, has no foreign relations experience and probably wants to get away from the heat he is facing from his own ex-colleagues. How much time does he really have in India? 2 years ? Sleepy Joe and his 40 idiots.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

vijayk wrote:There is some woke garbage lady in Chennai consulate working with DMK and other divisive entities printing anti-Hindi/Bihari T-shirts in TN and KA.
any names?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

V_Raman wrote:
vijayk wrote:There is some woke garbage lady in Chennai consulate working with DMK and other divisive entities printing anti-Hindi/Bihari T-shirts in TN and KA.
any names?
Saw a name in twitter ... forgot to note down
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://twitter.com/TrulyMonica/status/ ... 2907987968
Externals Affairs minister on Garcetti and CAA
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Pyaar se samjha denge: What S Jaishankar said on new US envoy’s views on CAA

0:00 saying this as openly and clearly as you
0:02 are is really interesting and refreshing
0:04 to see I want to draw your attention to
0:06 the new American ambassador who's been
0:08 announced and confirmed Eric Garcetti
0:10 and I want to quote to you what he said
0:11 about the citizenship Amendment act he
0:13 was asked during the Senate Foreign
0:15 Affairs Relations Committee meeting
0:16 about the ca you know he's someone who's
0:19 spoken up multiple times in human rights
0:21 and discrimination he thinks the
0:22 citizenship Amendment Act is a core
0:25 piece of his engagement rather than an
0:27 obligation he also says he will work
0:29 because he thinks that this is
0:31 discriminatory towards Muslims now you
0:34 will have soon in New Delhi from
0:36 arguably a most important strategic
0:37 partner a new Ambassador who thinks a
0:40 key legislation which is core of your
0:42 ideological agenda is discriminatory
0:45 towards Muslims you know um
0:48 first of all when when CA was passed
0:51 there was a debate people in this
0:54 country tried to make it an
0:55 international debate
0:57 and it was in you know it was
0:59 interesting when I went around the world
1:00 and I explained to different countries
1:03 that please look at your citizenship
1:05 criteria
1:07 and tell me are you less specific in
1:12 terms of how you have defined the
1:14 criteria than we have
1:15 take the United States
1:17 there are two very well known amendments
1:19 there something called the Lautenberg
1:21 Amendment and the Specter Amendment
1:22 which actually single out specific
1:25 communities and specific faiths and give
1:27 them a faster pathway into citizenship
1:30 not just those I can cite to you in U.S
1:33 there's a Jackson vanic Amendment you
1:35 know there was a there was one uh if my
1:38 memory serves me right for the among
1:40 people so
1:42 and this is not just the U.S but if you
1:45 look at Europe
1:47 you know the Germans have a faster
1:49 citizenship pathway for people of German
1:53 descent in other countries
1:55 there are other European countries who
1:57 say you speak my language you have my
1:59 faith you have cultural characters India
2:02 doesn't have one Faith No sorry India
2:04 doesn't have one faith
2:06 sure so
2:08 what therefore the question is about no
2:10 no I am thinking of this being
2:11 discriminatory towards me no the the
2:13 point is that in many cases the people
2:16 who are persecuted have nowhere else to
2:18 go except to India I mean if you are a
2:21 Hindu and Pakistan who's who's being
2:23 oppressed wherever barrels will go other
2:25 than India okay so I mean look somewhere
2:28 I mean you should not subject common
2:30 sense to political correctness I mean
2:33 there is a certain there's a certain
2:36 reality here which all of us know I mean
2:38 it stares you in the face but your
2:40 question what happens when you come to
2:42 you let him come here
2:46 American ambassador out of time
2:49 ordinarily a few years ago if I was
2:51 doing this session at the conclave we
2:53 would have spent a lot of time talking
2:54 about Pakistan we've come to the end of
2:57 the session we've not even mentioned the
2:58 p word given what's happening in
3:01 Pakistan at this moment foreign minister
3:03 what's your reading of our relationship
3:05 with a neighbor on the west
3:08 uh well I think our relationship has not
3:12 fundamentally changed uh today our
3:16 relationship is at a low app because uh
3:20 they they have not yet demonstrated a
3:23 willingness to give up on uh
3:26 cross-border terrorism as a primary
3:29 way of dealing with India so I think as
3:34 they move away from that
3:36 one has to look at the possibilities you
3:38 know it's been very refreshing to have
3:40 foreign minister jayashankar explain his
3:42 point of view in India's point of view
3:44 or the India way going back to Indian
3:47 scriptures in Indian uh streams of
3:50 thought as opposed to referring just
3:52 very casually and easily to Western
3:54 thought or even Chinese thought and this
3:56 I think is something which really needs
3:57 to be worked on can we have a very warm
3:59 Round of Applause as we thank the
4:01 foreign minister for joining us
4:11 thank you
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... his-summer

Mudi to be WH state guest this summer
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Srikanth P wrote:https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRJjZ ... ebq1A&s=08

PM speech at India Today conclave.
Few veiled political jibes but a lot of positivity, accomplishment, achievement and insight.
Hope and pray Garcetti's Hindi is good enough to understand this speech.

The gap between the content of this speech and the content of Eric's statements (written or spoken) is so wide that I would advise Eric not to go to India - ever.

Finally, very seriously, I doubt even Indo-American groups are at the level of this speech.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

For the record:

Eric Garcetti finally got the ambassadorship he wanted. Here’s how he did it

LA Times:
The former mayor’s parents — former L.A. County Dist. Atty. Gil Garcetti and Sukey Garcetti — hired lobbyists to help win his confirmation. Even in Washington, lobbyists are rarely hired to shepherd ambassadorial nominees — and even more rarely hired by a nominee’s parents. In 2022 alone, Garcetti’s parents spent $90,000 on the effort, according to federal filings. Garcetti said on Wednesday that his family hired lobbyists to ensure that people who would’ve advocated for him anyway were properly paid and recognized for their work.
He will fit in India pretty well. Especially with Pappu.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Pro-Khalistani protesters attack Indian Consulate in San Francisco
A group of pro-Khalistani protesters on Sunday attacked and damaged the Indian Consulate in San Francisco, prompting sharp condemnation from Indian-Americans who demanded immediate action against those responsible for it.

“We are also appalled by the complete law and order failure in both in London as well as in SFO where a few radicalised separatists attacked India’s diplomatic missions,” Foundation for India and Indian Diaspora Studies (FIIDS) said after pro-Khalistani protesters attacked the Indian Consulate in San Francisco.
Raising pro-Khalistan slogans, the protesters broke open the makeshift security barriers raised by the city police and installed two so-called Khalistani flags inside the Consulate premises. Two consulate personnel soon removed these flags.

Soon thereafter, a group of angry protesters entered the consulate premises and started hitting the door and windows with the rods that they had in their hand.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Hard to believe US law enforcement are so weak, and the entire Law enforcement agencies in USA, Canada, UK and Australia are repeatedly failing? US police pull a gun out for small reasons. I think any logical person can smell what is happening.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

San Francisco is too busy trying to pay a 5 million dollars reparation to eligible Black population.

Expecting them to stand up for sanctity of diplomatic niceties is a fools hope.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

But looking at most of guys protesting, they don't seem to be the highly educated, many of them probably don't have proper Visa and PR's, one word from them not acceptable to their home countries these guys will be thrown out. They will not behave in such a manner unless there is some implicit benefit or immunity for breaking the law in all these nations.
dsreedhar
BRFite

Post by dsreedhar »

How come these radical khalistanis going scot free? They should be identified and fined and punished both from Indian govt and host country govt. Attacking a consulate or embassy is a major security breach and assault on foreign diplomatic mission.
Until a few of these thugs punished, this drama to continue and lead to major threat attack.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Because this is a coordinated action supported by the state department.

I look forward to Canada as well.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Republicans or Democrats: Who is better for India? (Raisina Dialogue)

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Here's the news as reported; real or not, who knows?
https://www.usnews.com/news/world-repor ... sh-sources
India was able to repel a Chinese military incursion in contested border territory in the high Himalayas late last year due to unprecedented intelligence-sharing with the U.S. military, U.S. News has learned, an act that caught China’s People’s Liberation Army forces off-guard, enraged Beijing and appears to have forced the Chinese Communist Party to reconsider its approach to land grabs along its borders.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/indi ... 230321.htm
India experienced major human rights issues in 2022: US report
Lalit K Jha, March 21, 2023

India experienced significant human rights issues in 2022, including unlawful and arbitrary killings, freedom of press and violence targeting religious and ethnic minorities, a US report claimed on Monday.
Released by secretary of state Antony Blinken, the annual human rights reports of the state department is a mandatory requirement of the US Congress giving details of human rights status in countries across the world.
The latest edition of the annual report slams Russia and China for the massive violation of human rights in these two countries along with some other nations like Iran, North Korea and Myanmar.
Russia's full-scale war against Ukraine beginning in February 2022 has resulted in massive death and destruction, with reports of members of Russia's forces committing war crimes and other atrocities, including summary executions of civilians and horrific accounts of gender-based violence, including sexual violence against women and children, Blinken said in the report.
In Xinjiang, China, the country report describes how genocide and crimes against humanity continued to occur against predominantly Muslim Uyghurs and members of other ethnic and religious minority groups, he said.
"Democracy, human rights, and labour rights are mutually reinforcing, and support for democratic renewal is essential to promoting these rights," Blinken said as he announced that President Joe Biden will co-host the second Summit for Democracy with the Governments of Costa Rica, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea, and the Republic of Zambia on March 29-30.
The India portion of the country report notes a lack of accountability for official misconduct persisted at all levels of government, contributing to widespread impunity. Lax enforcement, a shortage of trained police officers, and an overburdened and under resourced court system contributed to a low number of convictions, it said.
Gautam
The danda is there. It will be used whenever appropriate.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Aditya_V wrote:Hard to believe US law enforcement are so weak, and the entire Law enforcement agencies in USA, Canada, UK and Australia are repeatedly failing? US police pull a gun out for small reasons. I think any logical person can smell what is happening.
Yes, it's a signal for the Anglo-Saxon West that behave or we will unleash these terrorists on your diplomatic corps and immigrants.

The UK did arrest the flag vandal and he turns out to be a history-sheeter and direct contact with the fugitive.

Hindustan Times reported that GOI did inform the UK about violent protestors but there were no police deployed.
No police in SF.
US SD is giving bhashan.

I think the SF consulate be shut down and a reciprocal US consulate shut down in India.

SF should be shut down as California has become a hotbed haven for Khalistanis who regularly disrupt the Indian Independence Day parade in Fremont and in LA.
The family stopped going for the last ten years.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

g.sarkar wrote:https://www.rediff.com/news/report/indi ... 230321.htm
India experienced major human rights issues in 2022: US report
Lalit K Jha, March 21, 2023

India experienced significant human rights issues in 2022, including unlawful and arbitrary killings, freedom of press and violence targeting religious and ethnic minorities, a US report claimed on Monday.
Released by secretary of state Antony Blinken, the annual human rights reports of the state department is a mandatory requirement of the US Congress giving details of human rights status in countries across the world.
The latest edition of the annual report slams Russia and China for the massive violation of human rights in these two countries along with some other nations like Iran, North Korea and Myanmar.
Russia's full-scale war against Ukraine beginning in February 2022 has resulted in massive death and destruction, with reports of members of Russia's forces committing war crimes and other atrocities, including summary executions of civilians and horrific accounts of gender-based violence, including sexual violence against women and children, Blinken said in the report.
In Xinjiang, China, the country report describes how genocide and crimes against humanity continued to occur against predominantly Muslim Uyghurs and members of other ethnic and religious minority groups, he said.
"Democracy, human rights, and labour rights are mutually reinforcing, and support for democratic renewal is essential to promoting these rights," Blinken said as he announced that President Joe Biden will co-host the second Summit for Democracy with the Governments of Costa Rica, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea, and the Republic of Zambia on March 29-30.
The India portion of the country report notes a lack of accountability for official misconduct persisted at all levels of government, contributing to widespread impunity. Lax enforcement, a shortage of trained police officers, and an overburdened and under resourced court system contributed to a low number of convictions, it said.
Gautam
The danda is there. It will be used whenever appropriate.
Tomorrow US is going to arrest a former US President.
What more to say?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://twitter.com/lakshmishaks/status ... 9056696320

Detailed analysis on what west lacks about India is a frame of reference for India
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

ramana wrote: Tomorrow US is going to arrest a former US President.
What more to say?
Far too little, it seems. Our yappy media could say a lot more about it, juxtaposing it with US State Dept report. Yet they seem mum about it.
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

dsreedhar wrote:How come these radical khalistanis going scot free? They should be identified and fined and punished both from Indian govt and host country govt. Attacking a consulate or embassy is a major security breach and assault on foreign diplomatic mission.
Until a few of these thugs punished, this drama to continue and lead to major threat attack.

I think we should mount an aggressive litigation strategy. Once they have to pay damages, fines, etc, then they'll think twice.

But beyond battening down the hatches, I don't think anyone cares to do any more than that.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... t-illegal/
Tech workers claimed caste bias. Now California could make it illegal.

California state Sen. Aisha Wahab (D) will introduce a new bill Wednesday aiming to add caste as a protected category to state law, making discrimination against a person based on their caste explicitly illegal.
dsreedhar
BRFite

Post by dsreedhar »

Yes that is an immediate step to press charges on those who directly attacked the consulate and make them pay hefty fines.
But for the long term Indian govt should think and do out of the box. Identify the big financiers and financially drain and emaciate them. Sure these kind are fraudsters and leave a trail. Catch their frauds and pull them into litigations. Or prop up and finance competitors to outdo these and lose in their business.
Coming to the radical elements take some of them out like being done with kashmiri militants inside Pakistan thru hired hitmen.
Also meanwhile support and encourage the pro-india sikhs to rise up. This should be a sustained strategy for a few years until the menace wiped out.
Put lot of pressure on Western govts. Provide dossiers to show them guilty of supporting terrorist elements and interference in India matters. At some point the western public will take notice.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://sundayguardianlive.com/opinion/ ... ambassador
Scandal-plagued Garcetti heads to New Delhi as US ambassador
Maura Moynihan, March 18, 2023

US media is expectedly playing down Garcetti’s contacts with the CCP, but has reported on how Eric Garcetti was alleged to have covered up an appalling sexual harassment scandal in the Los Angeles mayor’s office.
After a rocky two-year campaign, the White House managed to get Eric Garcetti confirmed as US Ambassador to India on 15 March 2023, thanks to a handful of Republican Senators who chose to vote aye on the former mayor of Los Angeles, who has not shown much interest hitherto in the Indian subcontinent but has been accused by his detractors of having connections to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
US media is expectedly playing down Garcetti’s contacts with the CCP, but has reported on how Eric Garcetti was alleged to have covered up an appalling sexual harassment scandal in the Los Angeles mayor’s office. Los Angeles police officer Matthew Garza, who served as Garcetti’s bodyguard for seven years, has filed a lawsuit claiming he was taunted and groped by top Garcetti advisor and fundraiser Rick Jacobs. The lawsuit alleges that Jacobs tried to fondle Garza saying, “I love me my strong LAPD officers” and that “Garcetti was present on approximately half of the occasions when Jacobs behaved in this way, and witnessed Jacobs’ conduct, but he took no action to correct Jacobs’ obviously harassing behavior…On some occasions, the mayor would (allegedly) laugh at Jacobs’ crude comments.” Garcetti’s former communications director, Naomi Seligman, claimed that she was told by staff that the mayor protected Jacobs. Seligman called Garcetti’s confirmation as Ambassador to India “heartbreaking” for victims and whistleblowers.
Such chronicles alone would have disqualified Garcetti from consideration as envoy to India, a vital US ally and strategic partner, but what is more disturbing is Garcetti’s long history of meetings with officials from the CCP’s United Front Work Department, the CCP agency which “coordinates and conducts influence operations,” according to a report from the National Counterintelligence and Security Center (NCSC). The Daily Caller News Foundation (DCNF) launched an investigation into Garcetti’s China connections, and discovered a mayoral fund set up by Garcetti in 2014 which received over $1 million in donations from business tycoon Walter Wang and East West Bank CEO Dominic Ng. In April 2022, President Biden appointed Ng to represent the United States at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC). Ng has now been castigated by lawmakers after the DCNF exposed his ties to CCP influence and intelligence front groups.
Shortly after being sworn in as Los Angeles mayor, Garcetti led a trade delegation to the People’s Republic of China in 2014, where Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries (CPAFFC) vice chairman Xu Kuangdi hosted a banquet for Garcetti, purportedly to discuss “climate change.” In 2020, the US Department of State designated the CPAFFC a UFWD “affiliate” that “sought to directly and malignly influence state and local leaders to promote the PRC’s global agenda.” In February 2015, Garcetti returned the favour, hosting CPAFFC president Li Xiaolin and other CCP officials at Los Angeles’ city hall.
Gautam
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

just like the ameriki foreign policy, which is usually DOA.

World Bank President nominee Ajay Banga tests covid positive on arrival in Delhi

https://www.businessinsider.in/india/ne ... 964384.cms
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

^ Noob question- these are paid Ads right?
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Each and every screen in NYC/Times Square is available for rent/advertisement. These screens are owned by top media companies and will rent for $$

To advertise on Times Square's digital screens and billboards, please contact the individual signholders
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Right.

Ram Navmi is 2 days. Maybe some Indian org can rent space and run an Ad on the grand Ram temple in Ayodhya. :)
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Already done in 2020 I think. May be redo it around opening day.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Yes, sir.

I am saying we can to do it every year... heck we SDRE indians have festivals practically very fortnight/month :mrgreen: