India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions IV

Post by Mollick.R »

Arunachal an integral part of India, says US, condemns China's military aggression in Senate resolution recognising McMahon Line as international boundary
ET Online Last Updated: Mar 15, 2023, 11:45 AM IST

The United States - in a recently passed bi-partisan resolution - has recognised the McMahon Line as the international boundary between Arunachal Pradesh and China, calling the north-eastern state an "integral part of India."

"At a time when China continues to pose grave and gathering threats to the Free and Open Indo-Pacific, it is critical for the United States to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with our strategic partners in the region, especially India," said Senator Bill Hagerty, one of the Congressmen who introduced the resolution in the United States Senate.

The resolution - introduced by Hagerty and Senator Jeff Merkley - also condemned the East Asian nation's aggression in the region, a move that follows multiple clashes between the Indian Army and Chinese People's Liberation Army.

"This bipartisan resolution expresses the Senate's support for unequivocally recognising the state of Arunachal Pradesh as an integral part of India, condemning China's military aggression to change the status quo along the Line of Actual Control, and further enhancing the US-India strategic partnership and the Quad in support of the Free and Open Indo-Pacific," Hagerty said.

Senators Hagerty and Merkley's resolution aims to push back against Chinese claims that the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh is People's Republic of China territory, which is a part of the PRC's increasingly aggressive and expansionist policies.

"America's values supporting freedom and a rules-based order must be at the center of all of our actions and relationships around the world, especially as the PRC government pushes an alternative vision," Merkley was reported as saying.

read full news report from here....
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 648282.cms
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Actually I like NRao suggestion...if US Amb is keen on engaging in sub-national diplomacy...so can we. Keep him out of important events...engage with like minded folks in Amreeka...probably many of US Armed forces folks...let the Ambassador go crying to Biden chacha
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Mollick.R wrote:Arunachal an integral part of India, says US, condemns China's military aggression in Senate resolution recognising McMahon Line as international boundary
3 US senators reaffirm this resolution introduced last month in the US senate that "recognizing the state of Arunachal Pradesh as an integral part of India"; Slam China for its "aggressive and expansionist policies".
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Did we ask for this? No. Do we need this? Not really, but its nice to have.

Seems like a "get this coffee tumbler free when you buy our TV (with 21% compound interest financing)" type promo.

Thank you Unkil jee, very thoughtful of you. Lets now move on to useful matters, shall we?

(Hindi translation: Humein koi Ukraine samajh rakha hai kya? Chal, chal, kaam ki baat kar.)
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

It is desperately trying to generate mistrust b/w sugar and India with the eventual goal of war. It looks like China I not taking Taiwan's bait.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

NRao wrote:I think India can decline to accept an ambassador.
FWIW: Not a fan of Garcetti but sharing some thoughts and my perspective wrt to Garcetti - which I have shared with my friends/followers (including both GoI and US admins).

- If Dr Jaishankar (or Modi) had serious concerns about Garcetti - this appointment will not go forward. This is NOT an era of appointing Viceroys - sensible people in India (and US) know that.

- IMO, innuendos that Garcetti is *supporting* CAA is maliciously mischaracterized.
Here his opening statement in full. ( I did watched the testimony) -- please do read it *vs interpreting it by reports in 'Wire' or NYT). Highlighting added for clarity.

- Garcetti was asked about " . human rights in India given ...immigration laws discriminates against Muslims." by usual India-baiters and troublemaker senators - (There is a anti-India fraction - a *small* but very *vocal* among "progressive" part of democrats -- and also quite a few republicans. ).To see the whole thing in context - reading the *complete* answer/questions - not words spoken by India-baiters senators should be taken into account - which I have done -- he was *definitely* not supporting CAA and calling India *anti-Muslim" etc..

- From what I recall - Garcetti's answer to one senator (not naming him here) who asked "about CAA type anti-muslim Modi policies" was something like: (One can easily check the transcripts): "I’ll raise them with humility. It is a two way street on these issues, but I intend to directly engage ..."

- What stuck me (I was watching those hearings) was OTOH - His answers about supporting India (defence/trade related stuff) were unambiguously positive.

Finally It's just an ambassadorship, not a Brf_administership so IMO, people can chill out a little. :)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Anyway, we will soon know how the senate votes..

(It is unusual for a high-profile nomination to go to the Senate floor and lose. But the White House and Garcetti have strongly pushed for a vote to be held, regardless of the outcome... so people, (even Durbin) are not predicting the outcome.. some of Garcetti's (many democratic critics) are not in Washington DC to vote so I don't have a prediction now...interestingly most democrats who are pro-India will be voting for him )

- Looks like at 2:30 PM the voting begins.
Also There will be confirmation voting for Assistant Secry. of Air Force today - Ravi Chaudhary.

Meanwhile: From my sources (+ Twitter etc) - (we will soon know the official votes)
Most democrats (not all) and a few Republicans say they will vote for him - but going to be close.
Durbin is telling that he will vote for Garcetti -
Fetterman & Feinstein are still out ( likely have been “yes” votes)
Sherrod Brown (My/Ohio ) is saying no..(He is quite progressive- and when he became quite anti-India he lost my support/respect).
-Hirono also tells she is a “no”
Last edited by Amber G. on 15 Mar 2023 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

and the oscar goes to ... :shock:

Ned Price, US State Dept Spokesman, comments on the restart of diplomatic relations between Saudi Arabia and Iran, mediated by China, and says that the US cannot be supplanted in the Middle East because "No country on Earth has done more to build a more stable, more integrated region."
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

choice of ambassador makes sense..and the timing
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

The U.S. Senate should reject Eric Garcetti’s nomination to be U.S. ambassador to India
Following approval of his nomination last week by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the full U.S. Senate is expected to take up the nomination of former Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to serve as U.S. ambassador to India.

To recap: It’s been over 600 days since President Joe Biden nominated Garcetti to serve as ambassador, a political reward for Garcetti’s early support of Biden’s presidential campaign in 2020.

Amid Garcetti’s nomination have been ongoing corruption probes and convictions of multiple Los Angeles City Hall officials, as well as a Senate investigation finding that Garcetti “likely knew or should have known” of alleged sexual misconduct by his right-hand man.

And there have been whispers of Garcetti’s links to Chinese Communist Party-linked front groups and individuals. Sketchy ties to sketchy regimes is nothing new for Garcetti, who as mayor behested a $5 million donation from the human rights-violating nation of Qatar as mayor of Los Angeles.

Despite all of this, the White House as stood by and defended Garcetti.

There is no particular reason why Garcetti specifically needed to be the U.S. ambassador to India. President Biden could’ve nominated a less problematic person, one who wasn’t so flawed as to have their nomination held up for over 600 days, for example.

“He is unfit to become an ambassador or really to hold public office anywhere in this country or this world,” Naomi Seligman, a former Garcetti staffer, recently told CNN’s Jake Tapper.

She’s not wrong.

As I have previously written, Garcetti was a mediocre mayor with few accomplishments. He botched the city’s response to the horrific homelessness crisis and the supply-chain crisis during the pandemic. He “likely knew or should have known” of what his right-hand man was up to. And he quickly abandoned any pretense of reforming a flawed city government in favor of taking the easy route.

He should not be gifted with an ambassadorship. It would be a disgrace for the U.S. Senate to approve his nomination.

The U.S. can do better and India deserves better.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

i dont think its J Biden who makes the decisions, it mostly feels he works as a proxy
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Okay, It looks like Garcetti's nomination is going to be approved - (Actual vote is later today).. I think that finally after such a long time the position will be filled. Just saw the cloture votes (so it's likely they will vote yes later too) and say at least 6 yes votes from GOP (Collins, Daines, Graham, Hagerty,Marshall & Young. Not surprisingly - Brown & Hirono, and Kelly from Democrat side voted No.)

No fan of Garcetti - but happy that anti-India forces are not going to have their day and India is getting an Ambassador - may be not liking to the Woke fraction but that's okay.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

When the two Republicans voted for Garcetti in Committee, his vote in the Senate was assured. Nothing to be surprised about.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The center of the Universe on minority matters in India has spoken. Or should I say set the tune to which Eric will be compelled to dance?

https://twitter.com/RanaAyyub/status/16 ... 3742610437
Eric Garcetti who is poised to be the next US ambassador to India had earlier said that he would bring up human rights and discrimination such as the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) as a “core” piece of his engagement , rather than as an obligation.”
There you have it.

Now argue against this if you can/will. Arguments made in Hindi will be accepted.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Since we are trying to be positive:
One good thing is that this will be Garcetti's first stint as ambassador and he will get to learn the lost art of diplomacy from interactions with his Indian counterparts.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Eric Garcetti is NOT going to India to even pretend to be a diplomat.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

NRao wrote:Eric Garcetti is NOT going to India to even pretend to be a diplomat.
exactly., he has an agenda and he is going to india specifically for this
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

If he behaves like (even a newbie) diplomat, India will treat him like a diplomat.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

drnayar wrote:i dont think its J Biden who makes the decisions, it mostly feels he works as a proxy
I am sure you think that way... but then there are many who think Modiji is just a proxy for RSS/Advani/ityadi...
Seriously I think these kind of statements are pure nonsense. /sigh/
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

India has been treating a guy like Blinken as a diplomat. And, see the respect afforded to Victoria Nuland on her last trip to India. And, the dog and pony show at the Quad meet in ND!!

(The problem, IMO, is that India is no power to influence such decisions (asking to withdraw Garcetti). Covid, Ukraine, etc did not help. And, India has no 'friends", but plenty of "enemies".

And, I for one, fully expect Saudi Arabia to overtake India within a decade - as a "power". China has started that ball rolling.)
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

NRao wrote:India has been treating a guy like Blinken as a diplomat. And, see the respect afforded to Victoria Nuland on her last trip to India. And, the dog and pony show at the Quad meet in ND!!

(The problem, IMO, is that India is no power to influence such decisions (asking to withdraw Garcetti). Covid, Ukraine, etc did not help. And, India has no 'friends", but plenty of "enemies".

And, I for one, fully expect Saudi Arabia to overtake India within a decade - as a "power". China has started that ball rolling.)
by definition these enemies are just people seeking opportunities to enrich themselves... China nicely turned that around to their benefit
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Okay (52 Yes Votes) - It was very close, but Garsetti is confirmed. Finally the post which remained open for such a long time, is being fulfilled.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Hope you and all of us will not be disappointed by this Garcetti chap.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Article in LA Times -
The Senate confirmed former Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti as U.S. ambassador to India on Wednesday, ending a nearly two-year fight over his nomination.
Senate confirms Garcetti as ambassador to India
The Senate confirmed former Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti as U.S. ambassador to India on Wednesday, ending a nearly two-year fight over his nomination.

Senators voted 52-42 to confirm Garcetti to the post. He lost the votes of three Democrats but convinced seven Republicans to cross the aisle, winning him the job.

The outcome was anything but guaranteed. Democratic defections had mounted Wednesday morning, with several senators citing lingering questions about whether Garcetti knew or should have known about a former top aide’s alleged sexual harassment of colleagues.

... Garcetti’s nomination was rescued by the Republican senators who broke ranks to support him, including Sens. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Roger Marshall of Kansas, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine, Steve Daines of Montana, Bill Hagerty of Tennessee and Todd Young of Indiana.
...Along with Hirono, Democratic Sens. Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Mark Kelly of Arizona voted against the nomination.
[ I can forgive Hirono (She voted on principle) but Brown is going to further lose my support -- he has no excuse of being ignorant and be that woke.]
(Initial Reaction from India - from GoI sources I know is mainly positive)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Since in BRF we entertaining tweets from Rana_Ayyub
Eric Garcetti who is poised to be the next US ambassador to India had earlier said that he would bring up human rights and discrimination such as the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) as a “core” piece of his engagement , rather than as an obligation.”
And endless discussion about what Garcetti said (according to Wire and NYT) or will do..
..he has an agenda ..
Allow me to to post what he actually said: <here>

... Few nations are more vital to the future of American security and prosperity than India. If confirmed, I look forward to building on the work of my predecessors to elevate our partnership to new heights.
I have committed my life to service –– as a teacher, a naval officer, and a public servant.

All of my work reflects values my parents instilled in me at a young age: to be a proud American with a heart for service who is always engaged with the world. My parents, Gil and Sukey Garcetti, are here today; they first brought me to India as a teenager and taught me how deeply we are connected to people everywhere on this planet –– no matter where they live, what language they speak, how much money they have, or how they worship God.

In 1992, the year I graduated from college after studying Hindi and Indian cultural and religious history, U.S.-India ties languished in the shadow of Cold War era mistrust. Annual trade stood at a paltry $2 billion, defense trade was zero, and military interoperability was non-existent. The very idea of a U.S.-India strategic partnership would have been deemed laughable.

Today, the fundamental nature of that strategic partnership is firmly ingrained in both Washington and New Delhi. 20 years ago President Biden – then Chairman of this esteemed committee – called for a new and ambitious vision of U.S.-India ties. Thanks to successive administrations--Democratic and Republican--and the bipartisan work of this Congress, that strong new chapter is upon us.

Despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, bilateral trade is expected to reach new heights and if confirmed, I intend to champion an ambitious economic partnership with India that reduces market access barriers and bolsters fair trade and creates good jobs for the American middle class.

India is situated in a tough neighborhood. If confirmed, I intend to double-down on our efforts to strengthen India’s capacity to secure its borders, defend its sovereignty, and deter aggression – through information sharing, counterterrorism coordination, joint freedom of navigation patrols and military exercises (which I have participated in as a naval officer alongside my Indian counterparts), and sales of our best defense technologies in order to realize the full potential of our Major Defense Partnership.

As Mayor, I have chaired C40 –– a global network of mayors from the world’s largest cities –– to confront global climate change and to share the experience of Los Angeles, which is on track to be powered by 100 percent renewable energy by 2035. If confirmed, I will work closely with India to support a similarly bold approach to promoting green energy through the International Solar Alliance and through the Agenda 2030 Climate and Clean Energy Partnership.

The bedrock of our partnership are the human ties that connect our nations, embodied by the four million strong Indian-American diaspora that strengthens our nation and the nearly two hundred thousand Indian students and tens of thousands of Indian professionals who contribute to our economy.

In addition, respect for human rights and strong democratic institutions are key elements of our strategic partnership and values enshrined in our constitutions, and if confirmed, I will engage closely and regularly with the Indian government on these issues.

I acknowledge the weight and honor of responsibility as Chief of Mission for the welfare of hundreds of U.S. and thousands of locally employed staff in Embassy New Delhi and our four Consulates in India, in addition to the approximately 950,000 U.S. citizens residing in India. If confirmed, there will be no higher priority for me than the security of our Mission team and of U.S. citizens in India...
.”

And I fully agree with Senate Leader who just made this short remark:
The United States-India relationship is extremely important and it's a very good thing we now have an Ambassador.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

I posted several optimistic posts - regarding Gina Raimondo's visit and various agreements signed between US/India relationship.. such as:
Amber G. wrote:Meanwhile some see gloomy future in everything... some are striking deals...:
Lockheed Martin and Tata Group Sign Memorandum of Understanding For Fighter Wing Production in India.
There are quite a few more very optimistic posts from Modi, or Dr JaiShankar or EAM's etc.. worth watching (more meaningful then some of the posts dismissing them here in brf). ..

Here is one video: (please do watch - about 30 seconds clip)

Many of the actions that India has taken under Prime Minister Modi's leadership, even over the past couple of years, make India an even more attractive place to do business:
- SecRaimondo during India-US Commercial Dialogue

In short Raimondo made a good impression in New Delhi too.

One small tidbit - Well-known among those who watch India-US relationship - Raimondo is the *biggest* supporter of Garcetti - who worked behind the scenes to convince and get necessary votes for him - in spite of vigorous negative campaign..

I think it is safe to assume that Garcetti does have friends in New Delhi's present Govt.

PS Meanwhile: Also Senate confirmed another Biden's appointee : Assistant Secry. of Air Force today - Ravi Chaudhary.
Last edited by Amber G. on 16 Mar 2023 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

^ Do US ambassadors make it a point to mention Hooman rights issues in the recipient countries?

Nice of him to also mention democratic institutions.. our youth leader is especially concerned about them. They should get along just fine.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

putnanja wrote:Usually the govts sound out the host govt on appointment of ambassador. Indian govt knew for last couple of years about Garett and his shennanigans. Why didn't they inform US about the suitability of that person to take forward India-US ties?
As pointed out before, US Admin (Biden & Company).. obviously did that.. Secretary Gina Raimondo has confidence of Biden, and is the *biggest* supporter of Garcetti - working behind the scenes to help this appointment go through senate.. and Raimondo spent quite some time in New Delhi as recently as few weeks ago.. and hit it off apparently there.. :)
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

NRao wrote:...

Very intriguing indeed. Needs focused attention (and IMHO countering). Request you to please expand on this in the Saudi thread if possible.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Just because Raimodo had a good time in India doesn't mean they have to agree to her agenda. India also know how to wine and dine in public and disagree in private. If Garcetti tries to be too smart, he will be shown his place. Things have been just fine without boneheads like him becoming an ambassador. Ambassador is supposed to be bridge between two governments, not drive their private agenda and ignite colour revolutions.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

putnanja wrote:Just because Raimodo had a good time in India doesn't mean they have to agree to her agenda. India also know how to wine and dine in public and disagree in private. If Garcetti tries to be too smart, he will be shown his place. Things have been just fine without boneheads like him becoming an ambassador. Ambassador is supposed to be bridge between two governments, not drive their private agenda and ignite colour revolutions.
Not his private agenda, saar.

garcetti is vocalizing what is essentially the India policy of many white governments across the world, especially the neo colonial US.

They all do covertly what garcetti says he is going to do overtly. There was never a need for him to say what he said.

Also, he gains nothing by antagonizing his hosts, except making his job that much more difficult to do. India's profound distaste for such antics is not a secret.

But then, garcetti is singing for his supper and so he has to endorse the people who are paying the piper.

Besides, garcetti is so mediocre that he does not even begin to register on the mediocrity scale. He is undoubtedly trying to build up his woke quotient even before he arrives in India.

didn't one of the separatists who was also a great dravidian poets say: "He who pays the piper, gets to call the tune"

and if he didn't, then he certainly should have said so
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

well, that's that

@ANI·4m

We welcome the confirmation of Eric Garcetti as US Ambassador to India.

We look forward to working with him to take forward our multifaceted bilateral relations
: MEA Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

chetak wrote:well, that's that

@ANI·4m

We welcome the confirmation of Eric Garcetti as US Ambassador to India.

We look forward to working with him to take forward our multifaceted bilateral relations
: MEA Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi
Chetak sir, if I may draw inspiration from one of our decorated soldiers - Kitne Garcetti aaye, kitne Garcetti gaye
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Manish_P wrote:
chetak wrote:well, that's that

Chetak sir, if I may draw inspiration from one of our decorated soldiers - Kitne Garcetti aaye, kitne Garcetti gaye

Manish ji,

Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

A leopard won't change it's spots, sir (even when the melanistic gene dominates)... but we can't give up on our bhakti either.

Both will remain true to their natures.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

https://www.firstpost.com/opinion/how-a ... 02442.html

How anti-India USCIRF pushes and promotes Christianity in the name of religious freedom
In almost 25 years of its existence, USCIRF has had about 65 commissioners, of which the overwhelming majority exhibited hard-core Christian roots being associated as they were with some form of missionary activities or the other
A Christian, anti-India project

Let’s look at the three facts emerging out of USCIRF and its reports: One, USCIRF reports have largely been anti-India, because some of its prominent members, especially in the past years, have had pro-Pakistan tilt. Two, USCIRF has traditionally been a Christian project; it’s largely about safeguarding the interests of Christians, followed by those of Jews and Muslims. Hindus, along with other indigenous religions across the world, for that matter, don’t seem to matter, with even a single religious leader representing them finding a place in the organisation. Finally, these reports are a testimony to the fact that the West, especially its establishment, including the Deep State, still carries a deep anti-India baggage. Little has changed on ground in the past three decades which saw India make a giant stride forward from being a Soviet ally to a country that is today seen as a natural ally of the West.

Last year, the USCIRF report gained a lot of interest, especially in India. The writers of that report, as it became clear later, had deep and obvious Pakistani connections. Nadine Maenza, then a USCIRF Commissioner, had in the past worked with Rick Santorum, an American politician who, as per Foreign Affairs, wanted the United States “to continue foreign aid to Pakistan and maintain good relations with the nuclear-armed country”. Maenza was also in touch with other anti-India players and institutions — the most prominent being Shaik Ubaid and his rabidly anti-India outfit, Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC). Then there was one Anurima Bhargava, again a commissioner of USCIRF till 2022, who was closely associated with the Open Society Foundation, founded by George Soros. It’s difficult these days to have any anti-India activity without a Soros connection!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Time to do a toolkit on Garcetti and give woke leftys a taste of their own medicine.
/sigh/ :rotfl:

That's what being done in BBC/NYT/NDTV - and looking all the tool-kit/type false narratives the last few pages of BRF - quite a bit of culprits doing it here in BRF (and may be some victims who believed all this toolkit propaganda about "Garcetti is a CAA supporter") /sigh/.. I see lot of rona dhona is still continuing..

Meanwhile: I am glad that sanity is prevailing in some circles -- India finally has a US Ambassador.

To balance, FWIW: all the comments posted here in BRF, let me add one or two more (with links - but can easily be checked out) (Granted - Most outlets from NDTV to BBC to WP and quite a few others are very negative)

India welcomes the confirmation of Eric Garcetti as US ambassador to India - MEA India Spokesperson.

USISPForum Congratulates Mayor Garcetti on being confirmed as the next United States Ambassador to India.
"It's been a long ride and the destination is worth it." - Garcetti celebrating in an Indian Restaurant in DC (He is keeping a low profile but have talked positively about how he want to advance economic type ties with India..
The United States-India relationship is extremely important and it's a very good thing we now have an Ambassador. - US Senate Majority leader
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Amber G-ji, with all due respect, you are looking at/posting what's being said. People are rightly sceptical of that since what's being done is what really matters, and there is no let up to the under-the-surface hostile activity via shady and crooked actors that offer plausible deniability to the ones in positions of authority. If anything, the Soros-backed elements are shifting to a higher gear, as he himself has said. Now, Garcetti by himself may not be able to do much, and GoI is anyway ready for any nonsense as I'd speculated above. So it does not really matter. But we on BRF should not be taken in by "rah-rah" statements and buy into the narrative without question. As SJ has said repeatedly, whether election season has started in Delhi, it has started in London and New York, so we should be watchful.

Beware of Greeks suddenly bearing gifts - that's the summation of all the scepticism here.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Forget Garcetti, even Blinken and to a lesser extent Nuland, have absolutely failed to play 3-D chess. The one guy I would be careful about is Sullivan - NSA.

Those among us who are stuck with US-Amby-2-India, NSF futo-ops {BTW, Grammarly tried to correct my desi comment}, and even GE engines (which BTW are OK by themselves), are on the wrong page of the script. The script, which just BTW, is being rewritten every day (proof of how stupid Garcetti is is in his intro letter from 2021. He had nothing new to even update it. No doubt the IFS were glad that he is the US Amby)!!!!

When India (Jaishankar) is talking about India being a pole in a multi-polar world, Garcetti is talking about advancing economic ties!!! माया | I expect Garcetti to know that word, but not expecting him to understand it - he is it.