Terroristan - 29 September 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

US Senators for listing Pak as 'country of particular concern' over religious intolerance

WASHINGTON: Six influential US Senators have urged secretary of state Rex Tillerson to designate Pakistan as a "country of particular concern" on the issue of religious freedom violation, saying its discriminatory laws continue to result in prosecution of individuals due to their faith. What was the Great United States doing while Terroristan reduced the Hindu, Sikh & Jain Population content from about 25% down to 2% to 3%.

Senators Bob Menendez, Marco Rubio, Chris Coons, Todd Young, Jeff Merkley and James Lankford wrote a letter to Tillerson ahead of the November 13 deadline before which the State Department needs to notify Congress on its country of particular concern (CPC) designations.

In the letter to Tillerson, who has just concluded a visit to Afghanistan, Pakistan and India, the bipartisan group of Senators said that they believe "the State Department should designate Pakistan as a CPC as long recommended by US Commission on International Religious Freedom.

"The government of Pakistan continues to perpetrate and tolerate systematic, ongoing and egregious religious freedom violations. Discriminatory constitutional provisions and laws, including the country's blasphemy and anti-Ahmadiyya measures continue to result in the unjust prosecution and imprisonment of individuals due to their faith," the Senators said in their letter to Tillerson.

"At least 40 people are currently sentenced to death or are serving life sentences for blasphemy. Religious minority communities, including Christians, Hindus, Ahmadis, and Shia Muslims also experience religiously motivated and sectarian violence perpetrated by terrorist organisations and societal elements with relative impunity," said the letter.

Additionally, provincial textbooks with discriminatory content against minorities remain a significant concern, the Senators said in the letter dated October 27.

The Frank R Wolf International Religious Freedom Act requires the president to make CPC designations no later than 90 days after the release of the annual report and that Congress be notified no later than 90 days after these designations about the parties responsible for the violations prompting the designations, the actions the US government has taken in response, and the effectiveness of these actions.

"We therefore expect to receive CPC designations by November 13, 2017, and the notification of the responsible parties, actions taken, and the effectiveness of these actions by February 11, 2018.

"We believe promoting freedom of religion and belief is a moral imperative and encourages peace, stability and economic vibrancy. We look forward to working with you to help ensure this precious freedom has a central role in US foreign policy," the Senators added.

The Senators also sought the CPC designation of Myanmar over the issue of Rohingyas.

Tillerson has urged the Myanmar army to help the government end violence in the northern Rakhine state where unrest has forced over 600,000 Rohingya Muslims to flee to Bangladesh.

Cheers Image
RCase
BRF Oldie

Re: Terroristan - 29 September 2017

Post by RCase »

Austin wrote:'Today’s US ‘terrorist’ can be US ally tomorrow'– Former Pakistani intel chief
Corrected! There you go...
'Today’s US (Major Non NATO) Allies can be the ‘terrorists’ in US tomorrow' – Former Pakistani intel chief
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “India-US relations: News and Discussions IV” thread.
arun wrote:
So much for the visit of US secretary of State Rex Tillerson's visit to India. US speaks with perfidious forked tongue on Mohammadden Terrorism being a global problem and winks and nods at the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s support of Pakistan based Mohammadden Terror outfits that target India.

Foreign Minister of the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Khawaja Asif, says that UN designated Mohammadden Terrorism outfit Jamaatud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed’s name was not on the list of 75 militants the US had handed over to the Islamic Republic.

It will be interesting to know if other Pakistan based Mohammadden Terrorists that are focussed on targeting India such as Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) and its boss Syed Salahuddin alias Mohammad Yusuf Shah are on the US list:

Hafiz Saeed's name not on list of 75 militants handed over by US: Khawaja Asif
At Press Availability of US Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson at Geneva on October 26, 2017 a direct question by a journalist on the claim of the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan that UN Designated Mohammadden Terrorist Hafiz Sayed is not on the list of terrorists handed over by the US and against whom the US expects the Islamic Republic to take action, is evaded by US secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

Also evaded is the question of the Pakistan claim that no citizens of the Islamic Republic was on the US list of Mohammadden Terrorists.

Strong grounds now to conclude that the US is perfidiously walking back on the claim that it is against all Mohammadden Terrorism, especially that which emanates from the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan and targets India.
QUESTION: Sir, talk about your meeting with the Pakistanis. Their official news agency has talked about how the United States has presented them with a list of 75 terrorists that the Pakistanis claim they’re – that none of them are Pakistanis, that the head of Lashkar-e Tayyiba is not on that list, and that they provided you with a list of 100 terrorists that they would like the United States to go after. Could you talk about what you specifically laid out for them when you talked to them the other day?

SECRETARY TILLERSON: Well, I think what you just described is a very healthy exchange of information on terrorists, which is what we really hope to achieve with Pakistan. We have provided them specific asks, beyond just names of individuals. We’ve provided them specific asks. But we’ve also invited greater sharing from them as well. So we expect to receive information from them that will be useful.

And the specific location on any given day of where certain individuals or certain cells may be located – they do move around. As you know, the Pakistan-Afghan border is quite porous; in fact, it’s ill-defined. And so we’re less concerned about are they in Pakistani territory, in Afghanistan territory, or – as we are obtaining information so that we can eliminate them.
A couple of other questions and the resulting blather from US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

Note how Tillerson first avoided the question on what the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan had to say on Indo-US relations and when pressed seemed to indicate that the US would “mediate” on Indo-Pakistan relations, an action that is unacceptable to us Indian’s by saying “We’re also here to talk about how can we lower the tensions on the border with India, and there are legitimate concerns on both sides of that border as well “:
QUESTION: I’ll stay on the Pakistan theme. The reaction that we are reading from Pakistan today is that your visit did not go over well, that there was a sense that you were lecturing Islamabad from Delhi and from Kabul. I want to ask you if you think – what practically you think you’ve accomplished that you would not have accomplished without being there.

SECRETARY TILLERSON: Well, I would not have characterized my direct discussions with them as lecturing at all. It was a very good and open exchange. In fact, we probably listened 80 percent of the time and we talked 20 percent. And it was important to me, because I have not engaged with Pakistani leadership previously. And so my objective was to listen a lot, to hear their perspective.

We put our points forward. We put our expectations forward in no uncertain terms. There has been significant engagement prior to my visit, and there’ll be further engagement in the future, as we work through how we want to, as I said, exchange information and achieve the objective of eliminating these terrorist organizations, wherever they may be located. We had – it was very frank, very candid. We had the joint meeting with Prime Minister Abbasi and the full leadership team. And then I had a second meeting with Army General Bajwa and a couple of his close advisers, so we could have a more thorough discussion about some of the specifics.

But I think it was a very open, candid, and frank exchange, and it’s – there’s nothing to be achieved by lecturing, but we should be very clear about expectations and what we’re asking. And either people will step up and meet those expectations or they won’t. We’re going to chart our course consistent with what Pakistan not just says they do but what they actually do.
QUESTION: Can I go back to Pakistan for a second? Is it accurate to say that the message you received from the Pakistanis was, “We will not be coerced,” that they delivered to you a message of defiance in the face of the U.S. trying to pressure them? And did – that’s kind of one question. And the second question is: Did they respond at all to you about the U.S.’s strategy of deepening relations with India?

SECRETARY TILLERSON: Well, in answer to your first question, that would be a complete mischaracterization of the meeting.

QUESTION: Okay, okay.

SECRETARY TILLERSON: It was a very open, frank conversation that began with a retracing of the history between the U.S. and Pakistan, which, by and large, has been a very, very positive history. We’ve had a deterioration in that relationship over the last 10 years, but prior to that we had very strong relations with Pakistan. Throughout the Cold War to the post-Cold War, the post-9/11, they were a tremendous partner in the post-9/11 years in terms of helping us apprehend a number of the individuals that were involved in the 9/11 attacks.

So what’s happened has happened more recently, and I think what was important to me is that let’s reconnect and remember that it hasn’t always been this way. So there was no lecturing and there was no lecturing of them back to me either. I view it as a respectful relationship. We have some very legitimate asks, some very legitimate concerns that we need their help addressing. I said to them, “You can do it or you can decide not to do it. And if you decide you don’t want to do it, just let us know. We’ll adjust our plans accordingly and we’ll deal with it ourselves.”

And it’s not – that’s not a threat. It’s just a matter of fact. We have to deal with the conditions on the ground. And as you know, the entire South Asia strategy is a conditions-based strategy, and so the same message to Pakistan was: “Here’s what we need for Pakistan to do. We’re asking you to do this; we’re not demanding anything. You’re a sovereign country. You’ll decide what you want to do, but understand this is what we think is necessary. And if you don’t want to do that, don’t feel you can do it, we’ll adjust our tactics and our strategies to achieve the same objective a different way.”

QUESTION: And what was their response?

SECRETARY TILLERSON: I think they share the same concern we have about the presence of terrorism. They are – they have been victims of terrorism. The Pakistanis have suffered significant losses fighting terrorism themselves. My conversation with them was about what we feel is important for Pakistan’s future stability. And yes, what they can do will have an important impact on creating conditions for reconciliation and peace talks in Afghanistan, but it’s not just about Afghanistan. It’s about our concern for Pakistan’s long-term stability as well.

MODERATOR: Gardiner.

QUESTION: And the India question – and the India question, whether that came up, the deeper relationship with India.

SECRETARY TILLERSON: There was not a lot of discussion about that, other than they clearly have their differences with India, they have their concerns along their border with India. I made the observation to them, “You have two very troubled borders. You have one in Afghanistan, you have one with India,” and that we’re willing to help on both of those borders, and we’re not just here to talk about the situation on the Afghan border. We’re also here to talk about how can we lower the tensions on the border with India, and there are legitimate concerns on both sides of that border as well.
From the US State Department website:

Clicky
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Oct 27 briefing by the US Acting Assistant Secretary for South and Central Asian Affairs and Acting Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Alice G. Wells, generates some veiled and seemingly belligerent hot air directed towards the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan which as history of US reaction to Pakistani duplicity shows can be expected to dissipate shortly with a US climb-down.

Question on possibility of imposing economic sanctions on the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan is evaded:
On Pakistan, it was an extremely candid conversation with the prime minister and the civilian and military leadership team. The Secretary I think underscored that the strategy is an opportunity; it’s an opportunity since Pakistan, with the exception of Afghanistan, has the most to benefit from a stable and peaceful country next door. The Secretary noted that at several critical junctures over the last 70 years, we have worked very closely with Pakistan, and the Coleman hostage is an example of what we can do when we’re all pushing in the same direction.

But under the strategy, we’ve laid out some very specific expectations of how Pakistan can help create the conditions that will help bring the Taliban to the table. And I think the longstanding relationships with the militant and terrorist organizations – our concern is that they threaten Pakistan’s stability. We saw – you see already the spillover of the sectarianism that has been building in Pakistan over the last several decades. We believe that the Taliban leadership and the Haqqani Network still retain an ability to plan, to recuperate, and to reside with their families in Pakistan. The Quetta and Peshawar leadership councils of the Taliban have their names for a reason. And what we saw in 2014 was we saw Pakistan make a strategic decision to defeat the terrorist groups that were targeting the Government of Pakistan. And with great loss of life, great courage, great vision about what needed to be done, Pakistan has fought that battle and now has regained control and sovereignty over the FATA territories. We’d like to see the same strategic commitment brought against other militant groups, whether they’re – that are operating or have used Pakistan’s territory, whether they are directed against India or directed against Afghanistan.

Finally, the Secretary welcomed General Bajwa’s trip to Kabul, the commitment to ensure that neither country’s territory or soil would be used against another, and we very much look forward to the implementation of the commitments that were made between the Afghan and Pakistani leadership.

And again, all of this is about Pakistan’s sovereign choice. This is not about America giving dictation. We’ve described our strategy, we’ve described a very important role for Pakistan, who we see as a very important country in the region, but it’s up to them whether or not they want to work with us on this strategy. And if they don’t, as the Secretary said, we’ll adjust accordingly.
From the Q&A session:
QUESTION: Dion Nissenbaum with The Wall Street Journal. I want to ask you a little bit about the Pakistan trip. If you could talk a little bit about – I assume you can’t get into specifics of what the specific asks are for Pakistan, but is there a timeline by which you would like to see them take some concrete steps before the U.S. decides to counter? And where is State on the idea of shutting down the Doha channel and the Taliban office that’s there?

AMBASSADOR WELLS: I think it’s important, and the Secretary stressed the importance of Pakistan moving quickly to demonstrate good faith and efforts to use its influence to create the conditions that will get the Taliban to the negotiating table. These are things that are seen and felt and measurable, and so we look forward over the next weeks and months to see the practical steps that Pakistan takes out of its own self-interest and ensuring that its own country is not destabilized by some of the actions of the groups that have been able to use its territory.

On the Taliban political commission, the point of a political commission is to negotiate, and so we would like to see the Taliban political commission be empowered to negotiate. The President’s South Asia strategy is predicated on a negotiated political settlement that is sustainable. That obviously requires a partner in the Taliban, and we’re looking to see those moderate elements of the Taliban be empowered to undertake this kind of dialogue. To date, the Taliban political commission has not been empowered, and so we will be looking very closely at their activities to make certain that their activities don’t range beyond what they’re actually supposed to do in Doha.

QUESTION: So months for Pakistan to take some concrete steps?

AMBASSADOR WELLS: I can’t give you an explicit timetable, but I think that we’re moving very quickly ourselves on our own strategy and in reinforcing on the military side our ability to demonstrate to the Taliban that they cannot win this war. And we’re going to make equally rapid progress on the diplomatic side or have equally-high expectations on the diplomatic side of responsiveness.
QUESTION: Conor Finnegan with ABC News. I just wanted to go back to Pakistan and that line from the Secretary that if Pakistan doesn’t cooperate we’ll adjust our plans accordingly. Can you elaborate on that? Does that mean unilateral action on the part of the U.S. in terms of drone strikes or something like that, or does it mean more pressure on Pakistan, economic sanctions, things like that?

AMBASSADOR WELLS: I don’t want to define specifically what are going to be the reactions, but I think what we laid out in, again, a very candid and – conversation, was just what are our objectives, how do we see Pakistan and the United States partnering together? Historically we have been able to work with Pakistan. We have been able to accomplish great things together, including most recently what has been the arrest of most of the al-Qaida leadership working with the Pakistani authorities. But we have very specific asks of Pakistan to use the influence that it has – and you can debate how much influence they have, but I don’t think you’d debate the fact that there is influence – to use that influence to encourage the Taliban to come to the negotiating table.

And we can work together. I think over the last four years Pakistan – Pakistani officials and the Taliban both thought the United States was withdrawing. They were hedging against a chaotic departure. They were hedging against an uncertain security environment. What the South Asia strategy gives them, I believe, is certainty that we’re there, we’re not going to let the Taliban win, that we’re prepared to invest the resources that will be, at a minimum, a stalemate but a stalemate increasingly in the government’s favor. And so how do they use that to negotiate their legitimate needs at a negotiating table rather than rely on elements, on proxy elements.

And so I think there’s a real opportunity here for Pakistan to secure its strategic interests working with us.
From the US State Department website:

Clicky
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the Analyzing CPEC Thread

CPEC long-term plan - Editorial

After suffering from a series of delays, the long-term plan, or LTP, for the China Pakistan Economic Corridor is now ready for finalisation at the seventh meeting of the Joint Cooperation Committee to be held in Islamabad on Nov 21.

At the last JCC meeting held in December 2016, the plan was discussed and both sides agreed that the “LTP shall be finalised and approved by March 31, 2017, at the latest” according to the minutes of that discussion. But that date came and went, and we were told that the document was awaiting the signature of the then prime minister who was a bit caught up in his Panama Papers-related entanglements.

Then we were told that the LTP would be finalised during the One Belt, One Road summit held in Beijing in mid May. But the government delegation returned from the summit promising that the plan would be finalised in a couple of weeks.

Since the details of the plan had already been published by Dawn while they were away, we were also promised that immediately upon its finalisation, the full LTP would be made public to dispel some of the anxieties caused by the particulars. Then the trail went cold.

This is the first time we have heard of the plan since then, and Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal has again repeated his commitment to make it public after finalisation. Whatever may have been the reasons for the delay, the fact that we now have a date for finalisation is progress, and the minister must be held to his promise of disclosure.

The LTP is the most detailed long-term plan that has ever been proposed for Pakistan, and its ramifications for the economy are deep and broad.

Contrary to the image of CPEC as an enterprise involving roads and power plants, the LTP shows that the real nature of the engagement with China that is about to begin goes far beyond infrastructure investments and enhanced connectivity.

The real game of CPEC appears to be to prepare the economy, society and culture of Pakistan for a massive influx of Chinese investments and personnel. This could indeed prove to be a positive development, and provide the economy with a boost given the scale of the investments being contemplated.

But the public has a right to know exactly what is being negotiated under this arrangement, and to assess and debate its merits. There can be no two opinions about this.

As soon as the plan is finalised at the next JCC meeting, the clock will start ticking for Mr Iqbal to deliver on his commitment and make a full disclosure of all the contents of the LTP.

A redacted or abbreviated version will not do. Full disclosure is what he promised, and that is what he must ensure.

Cheers Image
RCase
BRF Oldie

Post by RCase »

Coffee spill alert!
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1543264/2- ... -politics/
Asian tiger in the making faces threat from power politics :rotfl:
In case you were thinking of a kufr country that was the Asian tiger clocking around 7% GDP growth, hold your horses.
Unelected power corridors are trying to destabilise the country’s economy, which has achieved a 10-year high growth and is set to turn Pakistan into an Asian tiger by 2025, Federal Minister for Interior Ahsan Iqbal said on Friday.

“If we choose to set up a non-elected government, (then) it will be tantamount to murdering the economy,” Iqbal remarked at a conference on “CPEC: An Opportunity for Economic Transformation” organised by the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI).

We should tell the world loud and clear that Pakistan is rising [Paging Mleecha Lodhi and her doctored visuals], thanks to the reforms we have undertaken and thanks to CPEC (China-Pakistan Economic Corridor),” he said.
Pakistan would have achieved a higher economic growth rate of 6% had Panama drama not taken place,” he said. :rotfl: [Would have, could have... Well that is what happens when you lose your pants pajamas.]
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

TFTA Terroristanis? Nah! More like SDSA!

The tall and short of malnutrition

KARACHI/LAHORE: At just four feet and six inches, 14-year-old *Maya is far below the average height for her age. The girl’s mother *Afia has gone from pillar to post to search for answers explaining her daughter’s stunted growth.

Afia is not the only one worried about her daughter as the slow growth of children, especially in terms of height, is one of the main challenges faced by modern-day parents.

“I have two sons between 11 and 16 and they are tall for their age. It’s only my daughter whose height seems to be stuck. I have visited several doctors and specialists with her, but nothing seems to be working at the moment,” the mother says.

Nutritionist Moti Khan, who works at the Aga Khan University, Karachi, says a lot of parents come to them, literally with tears in their eyes. She says the slow growth weighs in heavily on the parents.

According to a research conducted by some students at the University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, a few years ago, the average height of Pakistanis has fallen by four inches over the last 50 years. This is mainly due to malnourishment and food deficiency.

Khan says there is a link between height and malnourishment, but family history is also a key component.

Bone health is one of the biggest issues in Pakistan due to the deficiency of Vitamin D. “The growth of height and bone continues till the age of 21, so there is no need to worry about it too much. All parents need to do is to take care of their diet and involve them in physical activities.”

Talking to The Express Tribune, Dr Fauzia Waqar, who works a health system specialist at the department of specialised healthcare and medical education (SHC&Me) in Lahore, says that about 60% to 80% of the difference in height between individuals is determined by genetic factors, whereas 20 to 40% can be attributed to environmental effects, mainly nutrition.

When asked about the major causes of malnutrition, she reveals that on the account of the Nutritional Profile of Punjab, 34% of children under five years of age are underweight and 42% are stunted.

It was also estimated that only half the children (49%), aged between zero and five months, are exclusively breastfed (MICS, 2007–08).

Furthermore, micronutrient deficiencies in Punjab also indicate to an alarming situation, she says. The doctor adds Vitamin A deficiency reduces immune function and impairs eyesight. The practitioner continues that this condition affects 41.8% of women and 51.0% of children.

Moderate and severe anemia, resulting in part from iron deficiency, and reducing the flow of oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body, affects 49.3% of pregnant women in the province and 60.3% of children, says Dr Waqar. “Overall, there seems no major difference and improvement in nutrition indicators compared to national averages.”

What helps growth?

Khan says a balanced intake of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals may need to be outlined by an expert. But this will work only if we have invested enough to educate our population to maintain a healthy life.

She adds that parents should encourage their children to eat natural healthy diet, which can never be a homemade burger or French fries. “Children should be given raw vegetables to eat as they have a lot of nutrition. Moreover, due to the trend of indoor activities, children remain confined to their homes and do not have enough exposure to the sun, which is a must for Vitamin D and bone growth.

“Children should be involved in activities during the day time between 10am till 12 noon and later from 3pm to 4pm. They should be motivated to play football, monkey bar games and basketball. These games help grow bones and height.”

What govt is doing to deal with the issue?

Dr Waqar says keeping in view the threatening situation of nutrition indicators in Punjab, the government has decided to initiate a multi-sectoral strategy.

The Planning and Development Department of Punjab, while realising its role in tackling the grave issue of malnutrition, has formed a steering committee (SC) with representation of relevant sectors, including government departments and international development partners.

“A multi-pronged approach will be comprehensive, valuable and the most effective way to adopt both nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive interventions, involving all related sectors with their potential role.” She continues that the effective implementation of multi-sectoral strategic intervention will certainly play a key role in reducing ever-escalating burden of malnutrition mainly and will also be helpful in improving the food-security indicators.

Cheers Image
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Now, that's cricket!

Sri Lanka, Pakistan teams arrive at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore for final T20
Najam Sethi, in a message..."it was a historic day".
Yes, it is. Day of infamy. Never before has cricket been played under these conditions:
arrived at the heavily-guarded Gaddafi Stadium
Air surveillance will be in place
fans having to go through various check points and body searches
Security plans for the third T20 match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka have been finalised
The traffic plan has been laid out ahead of the match
More than two thousand traffic wardens have been appointed for duty
the team ... was escorted to their hotel amid tight security.
Several thousand security officials have been deployed on duty with armed military personnel around the stadium and on the route of team buses to the stadium.
Hundreds of security cameras have also been installed
A "dispersal plan" has also been laid out (what's a dispersal plan?)
Several Sri Lankan players, however, opted out of playing in Pakistan. Regular captain Upul Tharanga, Lasith Malinga, Niroshan Dickwella, Suranga Lakmal and Akila Dananjaya have all pulled out of today's showdown.
But paki trust in their true destiny has never been shaken.
“What's important to me is.. it's safe to play in Pakistan,” said Ghulam Abbas, a college student. 8)
"This is not just a cricket match, it is a matter of Pakistan's honour,"
Holy cannoli on a bun! That's not cricket by any definition. Its like going to a torch light rally in Nuremberg. That's a prelude to an invasion. But, honor is important. No worries there. Paki sovereignty and dignity has been restored. Play ball!

Image of the bullet proof armored vehicle to transport the Lankans.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1367032/sri-l ... -final-t20
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

India sends 1st wheat shipment to Afghanistan via Chabahar port

Badhaiyan Ji Badhaiyan, Cheen ko Badhaiyan, Terroristan Ko Badhaiyan, Gamechanger CPEC Ko Badhaiyan, OBOR Ko Badhaiyan aur antim mein Gwadar Ko Badhaiyan! :rotfl:

NEW DELHI: India on Sunday sent its first consignment of wheat to Afghanistan through the Chabahar port in Iran, seen as a "landmark" move to operationalise the new strategic transit route, bypassing Pakistan.

The shipment was flagged off from the Kandla port in Gujarat with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and her Afghan counterpart Salahuddin Rabbani joining the ceremony through video conferencing.

"The shipment of wheat is a landmark moment as it will pave the way for operationalisation of the Chabahar port as an alternate, reliable and robust connectivity for Afghanistan," the ministry of external affairs (MEA) said in a statement.

In June, India and Afghanistan had launched an air freight corridor between the two countries to boost trade as Pakistan has been refusing land transit access through its territory.

"I am extremely delighted that today we have joined on a momentous occasion for the people of our three countries and the region," Swaraj said, terming the move as an important step in realising the shared aspiration to carve out "new routes" of peace and prosperity.

The consignment will be transported to Afghanistan from Chabahar through land route.

Swaraj also reiterated India's continued commitment to support reconstruction, capacity building and socio-economic development of Afghanistan, including under the framework of the New Development Partnership announced last month.

"The wheat that is leaving the Indian shores today, is a gift from the people of India to our Afghan brethren. It is testament to the continued commitment of the government and the people of India to support our Afghan brethren in building a normal, peaceful, prosperous, secure and bright future for themselves," Swaraj said.

The external affairs minister also renewed commitment to work closely with regional and international partners to bring peace, security, stability and prosperity in Afghanistan.

The Chabahar port is expected to open up new opportunities for trade and transit from and to Afghanistan and enhance trade and commerce between the three countries and the wider region.

"The people of India, Afghanistan and Iran have been connected through centuries; shared commonalities of art and culture, ideas and knowledge; language and traditions. Today, we are rejuvenating these connects and commonalities. I believe that this is the starting point of our journey to realise the full spectrum of connectivity," Swaraj said.

Swaraj and Rabbani welcomed the fact that this is the first shipment that would be going to Afghanistan through the Chabahar port after trilateral agreement on Establishment of International Transport and Transit Corridor was signed during the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Iran in May 2016, the MEA said.

It said six more wheat shipments will be sent to Afghanistan over the next few months.

India and Iran have already expressed commitment for early completion of the work on the Chabahar port project.

The Chabahar port, located in the Sistan-Balochistan province on the energy-rich Persian Gulf nations southern coast, lies outside the Persian Gulf and can be easily accessed from India's western coast, bypassing Pakistan.

The port is likely to ramp up trade between India, Afghanistan and Iran in the wake of Pakistan denying transit access to New Delhi for trade with the two countries.

India has been closely working with Afghanistan to create alternate and reliable access routes, bypassing Pakistan.

Cheers Image
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Gonzo! Flown the coop. Absconding. Outtahere!

Ishaq Dar got lost in Tajikistan, found in Saudi Arabia
Pakistan’s Finance Minister Ishaq Dar has not returned to the country Saturday after completing his tour to Dushanbe, Tajikistan to attend 16th Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Ministerial Meeting.
The PML-N minister, who is facing embezzlement and money laundering charges, had flown to the Central Asian state aboard a special plane from Islamabad with three other people. However, the plane returned Saturday without Dar.
Later in the day, a picture of Mr. Dar performing Umrah emerged on social media, sparking speculations that he (Dar) has joined ex-PM Nawaz Sharif in Saudi Arabia and is not intended to make an immediate return fearing arrest.
An accountability court has indicted Dar in a corruption reference filed against him by the National Accountability Bureau. According to the reference, Dar possesses assets beyond his declared sources of income.
https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pakista ... di-arabia/
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Certified banana republic ( with apologies to bananas)
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

First a plane from PIA went missing and I thought "Wow, they lost a plane?"

Now they lost their Finance Minister. If you think you've seen it all, wait for the Pakistanis to surprise you. Pakhanistan is tied to a ceiling fan with droppings flying all over with "ugh" consequences.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

UK to deport 700 illegal Pakistanis

LONDON – UK has decided to deport 700 Pakistanis living illegally in the country. Sources say that British authorities in a combing up operation have nabbed 700 Pakistanis from different areas of the country.

Nawaz Sharif gets 10 years UK Visa

And, after completion of necessary formalities, the list has been handed over directly to the Pakistan government.

The illegal migrants will be deported through five chartered flights. “First flight with 144 Pakistanis will reach Islamabad on tomorrow (Thursday). On the other hand, the Interior Ministry has confirmed that a list of 700 Pakistanis was received from the UK government,” the source added.

FIA has obtained a list of Pakistani illegally living in Britain. They will be arrested on their arrival at Islamabad airport for legal action.

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Apologies if Posted earlier.

U.S. Warning to Pakistan: Stop Backing Terrorism

Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson, center right, with the Pakistani foreign minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif, center left, in Islamabad on Tuesday.

ISLAMABAD — Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson stopped in Islamabad on his way to New Delhi on Tuesday to deliver what he hoped would be a sobering message to Pakistan: Stop funding or providing shelter to terrorist groups. Now.

It is a message the United States has been giving the Pakistanis in various forms since the Sept. 11 attacks, and it is one the Pakistanis have by turns harkened to, bristled at and shrugged off — sometimes in the same meeting — for years.

In tackling the deeply dysfunctional relationship between the United States and Pakistan, the Trump administration is finding that it is not unlike some difficult marriages: all but impossible to fix, but also impossible to end.

There were few signs on Tuesday that this 16-year-old dynamic had changed.

Mr. Tillerson met with three of Pakistan’s top leaders at the elegant prime minister’s residence in Islamabad: Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi; the foreign minister, Khawaja Muhammad Asif; and, most important, the Army’s chief of staff, Gen. Qamar Javed Bajwa.

At a formal greeting before a portrait of Mohammad Ali Jinnah, who is considered the father of Pakistan, Mr. Tillerson began with reassurances. “Pakistan is important, as you know, regionally to the U.S. security relationships and so important regionally to our joint goals of providing peace and security to the region and providing opportunity for a greater economic relationship as well,” he said.

Mr. Abbasi, wearing a traditional white kurta next to Mr. Tillerson’s dark suit, responded cheerfully but pointedly. “The U.S. can rest assured that we are strategic partners in the war against terror and that today Pakistan is fighting the largest war in the world against terror,” he said.

The United States believes that Pakistan has for years supported terrorist groups, like the Haqqani network, that attack American troops in Afghanistan, undermining the 16-year effort to defeat the Taliban. But for just as long, the United States has relied on Pakistani air and land routes to supply both American and Afghan forces.

Without Pakistan, the United States would not be able to keep troops in Afghanistan — but it also might not need to, some American observers suggest.

“What do you do when your allies are part of the problem?” asked Daniel L. Byman, a counterterrorism expert at Georgetown University. “The desire to turn our backs on these people is there, but then you worry that terrorists will have more operational freedom and it will cost you more in the long run.”

In public, the Pakistanis say they have killed more terrorists at greater cost in lives lost than any other nation. In private, they say they must hedge their bets against the inevitable day when American troops leave Afghanistan.

In the days leading up to Mr. Tillerson’s visit, the United States conducted a flurry of airstrikes along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan, fulfilling President Trump’s promise in August to intensify attacks against the Taliban and Haqqani network, which has run a virtual factory in Pakistan since 2005 to supply suicide bombers in Afghanistan.

Local news media outlets reported more than a dozen missile strikes that killed scores of Haqqani fighters. The strikes, many of them in Pakistani territory, are deeply irritating to Pakistan, which considers them a threat to its sovereignty.

Along with the attacks, the Trump administration has toughened its rhetoric. In a speech last week that offered effusive praise for India, Mr. Tillerson warned, “We expect Pakistan to take decisive action against terrorist groups based there that threaten its own people and the broader region.”

Senior Pakistani army and intelligence officials expressed confidence in background interviews in recent days that the Trump administration cannot sustain a hostile stance for too long. The Pakistanis are keenly aware that the United States relies on them not only for supplies of material, but also for intelligence.

The Obama administration worked to reduce its reliance on Pakistan in part by reaching a reconciliation with Iran, the only other viable option for supplying troops in Afghanistan. India is building a port in the Iranian city of Chabahar, where supplies could be landed and shipped to Afghanistan.

C. Christine Fair, an associate professor at Georgetown University, argues that Pakistan represents a far greater threat to American interests than Iran does. It was Pakistan that provided nuclear technology to North Korea and Libya, and Pakistan’s proxies have killed more American troops than Iran’s, she said.

But the Trump administration’s hostility toward Iran — Mr. Trump has threatened to tear up the Iran nuclear accord — has closed off such a strategy, so the United States must rely on Pakistan.

“It’s like a woman trying to leave an abusive marriage when she has no money,” Ms. Fair said. “How do you do that?”

Will tougher rhetoric change Pakistani behavior? Experts are skeptical.

“Getting tough on Pakistan, which we’ve tried before, never works,” said Ryan C. Crocker, a former ambassador to Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan. “In fact, it has the opposite effect. They just dig in deeper.”

Cheers Image
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Peregrine wrote:
Nawaz Sharif gets 10 years UK Visa

Cheers Image
Peregrine-ji:
So, Ganja the "shrewd dehati politico" once pulled a fast one on the Paki Establishment - and the Deep State ( he was also instrumental in using his "influence" with the Saudis in getting rid of Raheel to Saudia !) and obtained a 10 year Londonistan Visa to escape the awaiting gallows. -(if this report is to be believed . it could be fake news as well ! This "rag" is well noted for that :mrgreen: ) The Deep State should put him on the E.C.List ASAP before he flies the coop :twisted:
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Ayesha Gulalai's ex-aide who accused her of corruption gunned down

Ayesha Gulalai's ex-aide who accused her of corruption gunned down
The Express Tribune
LAKKI MARWAT:
Unidentified motorcyclists shot dead on Sunday disgruntled former secretary of Ayesha Gulalai in Lakki Marwat, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, months after he filed a corruption reference against the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) MNA.
Police say the assailants chased Noor Zaman’s car before spraying it with bullets in Tajori area, leading to his death on the spot. The body was shifted to a nearby hospital. Zaman’s family have yet to file a First Information Report (FIR) on the incident.
Zaman’s family has held four members of the Dawar Khel tribe – Umer Khan, Shaban, Syed Alam and Awal Khan – responsible for the murder. Police say they’ll be arrested soon. On August 8, Noor Zaman, along with his aides, submitted an application against Gulalai, for embezzling millions of rupees in developmental schemes in her constituency.
According to the reference, Gulalai and her father Shamsul Qayyum had been found involved in embezzlement and corruption in various provincial development schemes, saying it needed to be investigated on priority basis. So, Imran Khan has not yet been found involved in this shenanigans. :mrgreen:
Zaman had also threatened to present evidence before the provincial Ehtisab Commission and NAB if Gulalai did not apologise to PTI chief Imran Khan for levelling “baseless allegations” of sending her unsolicited text messages.Last week, Election Commission of Pakistan dismissed Imran’s reference against Gulalai, seeking to de-seat her as member of the National Assembly
So, if this report is to be believed , Imran is definitely involved in this !
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Najam Sethi "Jumping The Gun" With This Premature Announcement :roll:

Pakistan will host Asia Cup 2018: Najam Sethi
LAHORE – Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Najam Sethi said Saturday the country will host the Asia Cup for emerging players next year.
Addressing a joint press conference with Sri Lankan Cricket Board President Thilanga Sumathipala, the PCB chief announced that a total of five test playing countries will participate in the mega event. They include India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Has he got "inside information" re Indian participation :roll:
The 2018 Asia Cup will be a One Day International (ODI) cricket tournament scheduled to be held in Pakistan in April 2018. It will be the 14th edition of the Asia Cup, and the second time the tournament will be hosted by India, after the 1990–91 tournament. India are the defending champions.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

FATA’s 95% temporarily displaced families repatriated
The Federally Administered Tribal Areas (Fata) Disaster Management Authority has revealed that 95% of the temporarily displaced persons (TDPs) had returned to their native areas, Radio Pakistan reported on Sunday.While about 320,000 families have moved back, another 17,000 belonging to North Waziristan and Khyber Agencies are scheduled to return by the year end.The federal government is currently providing every returning family with Rs25,000 and six months ration. Sialkoti statistics plus Lahori logic, according to mouthpiece Radio Pakistan !
In September, the World Bank (WB) and Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved loans worth $324 million for supporting conflict-hit people in tribal areas and improving delivery of services in Punjab, indicating continuation of project financing for Pakistan even in difficult times. So as expected, the Paki State is reaching out to foreign banks, foreign NGO's for solving this humanitarian crisis, self created by them in the name of "fighting terrorism" :twisted:
The WB loan is in addition to $75 million credit it approved in 2015 under Fata Temporarily Displaced Persons (TDP) Emergency Recovery Project. Beneficiaries of the project are displaced families from five Fata agencies – North Waziristan, South Waziristan, Orakzai, Kurram and Khyber, according to statistics issued by the WB’s office in Pakistan.It said $114 million additional financing would help expand support to 326,000 eligible displaced families, up from 120,000 under the original project. Scarce financial resources are once again diverted to defense expenditures to "maintain balance of power" with "enemy India" !
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Paki Airline "Still Hanging On By A Thread" :mrgreen:

Last flight lands in New York as PIA ends US operations after 56 years
LAHORE – The last flight of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) landed in New York on Sunday, ending a 56 years old flight operations to the United States. Surprisingly safe landing !
PIA’s PK-711 landed at 4:00am with 300 passengers at John F Kennedy Airport on Sunday. It was a matter of great concern for passengers travelling on this flight as this was the national flag-carrier’s last flight to the US. color=#0000FF]The disgorged passengers are now ready for "special screening " that was recently announced by POTUS. :mrgreen:[/color]
Two PIA flights were being operating for New York via Manchester. However, the airliner was facing financial losses worth Rs2 billion while flying on this route, an official of the airline said on Sunday. PIA, with a fleet of 32 aircrafts, is still operating in 28 international airports. Still hanging on, till God knows when :mrgreen:
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

"Terrorists" From Khyber Agency Of FATA Now Spotted In Peshawar :roll:

Four terrorists held while trying to plant a bomb in Peshawar
PESHAWAR – The Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) on Sunday arrested four suspected terrorists trying to plant an explosive device at Peshawar’s Shah Alam bridge, according to local media reports.
The suspects had prepared the bomb in two oil cans, but the bomb-disposal squad had reached the spot on time to diffuse the explosive devices, the CTD officials were quoted by Pakistan Today as saying.Police also recovered pistols and cartridges from the suspects’ possession, the officials added. The suspects belong to a banned outfit. The CTD officials of Pakiland are obviously on their toes - and earning "lots" of overtime - in Peshawar, Karachi, La-Whore, Karachi and Quetta :mrgreen:
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

India turns down Pak. offer of talks on transit trade to Afghanistan

India has rejected an offer from Pakistan for talks on transit trade to Afghanistan, diplomats and officials in New Delhi and Kabul have confirmed to The Hindu.

According to sources, the offer was made by the Pakistan Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed when he met President Ashraf Ghani on October 1 in Kabul. During discussions on the renewal of the Afghanistan-Pakistan Transit Trade Agreement (APTTA), that lapsed in 2015, President Ghani repeated concerns that trade with India over the Wagah border had been blocked by Pakistan, despite being agreed to in the APTTA.

“At this, the Pakistani Army Chief offered to talk about the transit trade issues with Indian officials,” said a diplomat privy to the talks, adding that General Bajwa reportedly said, “Ask the Indian side to speak to us and we will try and sort it out.”

President Ghani is understood to have conveyed the conversation to New Delhi through the Indian Embassy in Kabul. However, days later, Indian officials at the SCO Afghanistan-Contact group meeting in Moscow, told the Afghan delegation that it would not take up the offer for talks.

“It wasn’t a real offer, as far as India sees it,” an MEA official, who asked not to be named, told The Hindu, confirming the government decision.

“The APTTA is a bilateral agreement. It is not working because of unilateral decisions by Pakistan not to honour it. So how can India-Pakistan talks fix that?” he said.

Pakistan has consistently refused to allow any Indian goods to travel over land Afghanistan, insisting that India use the sea-route via Karachi. Exasperated by Pakistan’s refusal to allow the truck trade, President Ghani has said repeatedly that he would cut off Pakistan’s access to Central Asia and issued a decree last week cancelling permission for Pakistani trucks to transit through Afghanistan.The Pakistani gambit on APTTA made little headway as a result, especially as

India and Afghanistan are now working on strengthening alternative routes, including the air cargo corridor launched in June this year, and the Chabahar sea route. While the development of Chabahar will take at least another year, India’s first major shipment of 1,30,000 tonnes of wheat via Chabahar will be dispatched on Sunday. Officials The Hindu spoke to said although General Bajwa’s offer was only made orally, and not followed up with a direct offer to India, it was considered significant for a number reasons. To begin with, the offer was made by the Pakistan Army Chief, considered to have a stronger mandate to implement such an offer than his civilian counterparts.

U.S. nudge

In addition, the conversation was held in the backdrop of the U.S.’s newly announced South Asia Policy for Afghanistan, where the Trump administration has committed to ensuring greater Indian involvement in development projects in Afghanistan, while also pushing to “ease tensions” along the India-Pakistan border. It also had come just as preparations had begun for U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to visit Afghanistan, Pakistan and India, a visit he concluded this week.

“Frankly, we hoped that the offer by General Bajwa would be taken up by the Indian side, or would open a small window for talks, but obviously, it was India’s decision to accept or not,” a U.S. official involved in the planning of the Tillerson visit said.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva on Thursday, Mr. Tillerson said he had told the Pakistani Prime Minister Abbasi and General Bajwa, that his trip was also to “talk about how can we lower the tensions on the border with India,” in an indication that the U.S. still hopes to nudge New Delhi and Islamabad to talks.

https://youtu.be/AYZB8v77cNM

EAM Sushma Swaraj flags off first consignment of wheat from Kandla to Chabahar Port

Cheers Image
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Pakistan welcomes end of isolation from international cricket. :roll:

Jumping the gun? One swallow does not a summer make :D
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Afghanistan sends tons of fruit to India
According to Tolo News, Afghanistan has sent 981 tons of fresh and dried fruit to India through the Afghan-India Air Corridor Program since June 18, the Office of the Senior Advisor to the President on Banking and Finance said in a statement on Saturday.
The process of transferring goods to India via the Air Corridor Program has continued on a regular basis, the statement said
“We therefore, entered into the very optimal stage in which we have almost solved most of the challenges ahead of the program. The operation of the flights we recently conducted were in a very smooth and standard manner. So far, we were able to export 981 tons of goods through this program to India ,” the statement added.
The once "strategic backyard" of Pakistan making some important decisions on its own :D
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Tillerson's Visit Irk's Paki 007 Rehman Malik :D

Rex Tillerson’s unjust demands
I am not surprised to see the demand of do more by Mr Rex as I have firm views that this syndrome of “do more Pakistan” has some motives behind it. This persistent demand from USA means that the USA will continue to blame Pakistan for not doing enough against terrorism and worsening the Pak Afghan relations on this issue, providing leverage to India to expand its interest in Afghanistan. This Sialkoti is as anti- India as they come !
USA wants to make India as military might of this region to carry out American Agenda. I strongly support the response of (fellow Sialkoti) - Khawaja Mohamed Asif, the foreign minister of Pakistan, to treat us on equal basis and without dictating the terms of operations.
I recollect a lot from my most recent visit to USA at the event of oath taking ceremony of President Donald Trump, and my meetings with various think-tanks had led me to believe that a hostile situation vis-à-vis Pakistan persists in various circles of Washington DC. So his honorific of "007" is not unfounded :mrgreen:
It was not surprising for me to understand that a negative perception has been built in the US using the obsession of presence of Haqqani network in Pakistan, which the Indian lobby in US, has very successfully created against Pakistan. It was evident from the bitter reality that Mr. Barack Obama as President of the US had made two visits to India while not a single visit as President made to Pakistan during his eight years tenure in office, which proves that U.S had since long been side lining Pakistan, preferring India by ignoring numerous sacrifices, which Pakistan has rendered in this War on Terror. :((
It is my sincere advice to USA to look at the situation of South Asia with impartial mind and weigh the role of Pakistan in War in Terror and all your indicators will lead you to believe that it is Pakistan which helped USA and not India. Mr. Rex ( diplomatic protocol gone to the dogs :roll: ) the people of Pakistan are once again disappointed to hear your “Do More” demand. Please come out from this syndrome of do more and let us work together to smash terrorists. Moreover, I strongly urge USA to accept Pakistan as a victim and stop being unappreciative of Pakistan’s efforts in eliminating terrorism. Lastly, the discrimination against Pakistan must also stop and US must work with Pakistan on equal basis to fight against terrorists. Because this is the only way terrorism can be defeated permanently from the region.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Teenage girl forced to walk naked in DI Khan village
Bandits stripped naked a teenage girl and forced her to walk nude throughout the village in Dera Ismail Khan .This incident took place in the vicinity of Chodwan Police Station. The girl knocked on many doors to ask for clothes and shelter but villagers not help, out of the fear of bandits.
According to eye-witnesses, the incident continued for one hour. The girl’s family tried launching a complaint in the police station but the police did not pay any heed. The First Initial Report was filed against 5 culprits only after media picked up the case. The "brave" Paki police behaving like buzzdils :mrgreen:
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

’‘The entire world is watching us with suspicious eyes’

KARACHI: Nuclear physicist Pervez Hoodbhoy said on Saturday that the two nation theory, the founding principle of the Pakistan movement, was not fit for the creation of our country, a home to multicultural ethos and polity.

“If Pakistan was made in the name of religion then why were the people of Bangladesh compelled to say they could not live in Pakistan? Finally they got separate homeland,” he said during a session on ‘The Idea of Pakistan: What it was in 1947 and What it Should be Now’ at the Sindh Literature Festival on Saturday.

Hoodbhoy said multiple nations have been living in Pakistan with their own culture and language and all of them deserve equal rights. “Unfortunately, Muslims consider themselves superior to non-Muslims and this has tarnished the original concept of Islam and humanity,” he lamented, adding that some extremists have, in the name of religion, killed innocent people. “Because of the growing trend of extremism in our country and the so-called jihad, the entire world is watching us with suspicious eyes. We must become a normal country and all citizens irrespective of their religion and sects must be given equal rights,” he urged, terming so-called jihadis ‘monsters’.

“Developed countries look at us like the Rohingya of Myanmar, so we have to change this narrative by discouraging extremism,” he said.

Taking about discrimination in the name of sects, he said Mohammad Ali Jinnah appointed Chaudhry Zafarullah Khan, who was from the Ahmadi community, the first foreign minister of the country but today some elements were giving verdicts of killing Ahmadis, which is unacceptable. ”

He criticised General Zia for selling Pakistan’s strategic location by supporting the United States in the war against Russia in Afghanistan and said the same thing is being repeated again in the name of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). “Under CPEC we can gain something but will lose lot,” he warned, adding that Pakistan needs people who have better education, which can bring us to the path of prosperity and economic development.

Cheers Image
RCase
BRF Oldie

Post by RCase »

Falijee wrote:Paki Airline "Still Hanging On By A Thread" :mrgreen:

Last flight lands in New York as PIA ends US operations after 56 years
Did the PIA plane make it back to Bakistan or was it put on a ECL at JFK to pay off the US dues? Or will it be flown to KSA for the benefit of a couple of Baki Feudals holed up in KSA?
RCase
BRF Oldie

Post by RCase »

Return of the Terroristani rakit mards doing a mijjile-fire dance to celebrate return of international kirket to Terroristan.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Peregrine wrote: India turns down Pak. offer of talks on transit trade to Afghanistan

India has rejected an offer from Pakistan for talks on transit trade to Afghanistan, diplomats and officials in New Delhi and Kabul have confirmed to The Hindu.

According to sources, the offer was made by the Pakistan Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed when he met President Ashraf Ghani on October 1 in Kabul. During discussions on the renewal of the Afghanistan-Pakistan Transit Trade Agreement (APTTA), that lapsed in 2015, President Ghani repeated concerns that trade with India over the Wagah border had been blocked by Pakistan, despite being agreed to in the APTTA.

“At this, the Pakistani Army Chief offered to talk about the transit trade issues with Indian officials,” said a diplomat privy to the talks, adding that General Bajwa reportedly said, “Ask the Indian side to speak to us and we will try and sort it out.”

President Ghani is understood to have conveyed the conversation to New Delhi through the Indian Embassy in Kabul. However, days later, Indian officials at the SCO Afghanistan-Contact group meeting in Moscow, told the Afghan delegation that it would not take up the offer for talks.

“It wasn’t a real offer, as far as India sees it,” an MEA official, who asked not to be named, told The Hindu, confirming the government decision.

“The APTTA is a bilateral agreement. It is not working because of unilateral decisions by Pakistan not to honour it. So how can India-Pakistan talks fix that?” he said.

Pakistan has consistently refused to allow any Indian goods to travel over land Afghanistan, insisting that India use the sea-route via Karachi. Exasperated by Pakistan’s refusal to allow the truck trade, President Ghani has said repeatedly that he would cut off Pakistan’s access to Central Asia and issued a decree last week cancelling permission for Pakistani trucks to transit through Afghanistan.The Pakistani gambit on APTTA made little headway as a result, especially as

India and Afghanistan are now working on strengthening alternative routes, including the air cargo corridor launched in June this year, and the Chabahar sea route. While the development of Chabahar will take at least another year, India’s first major shipment of 1,30,000 tonnes of wheat via Chabahar will be dispatched on Sunday. Officials The Hindu spoke to said although General Bajwa’s offer was only made orally, and not followed up with a direct offer to India, it was considered significant for a number reasons. To begin with, the offer was made by the Pakistan Army Chief, considered to have a stronger mandate to implement such an offer than his civilian counterparts.

U.S. nudge

In addition, the conversation was held in the backdrop of the U.S.’s newly announced South Asia Policy for Afghanistan, where the Trump administration has committed to ensuring greater Indian involvement in development projects in Afghanistan, while also pushing to “ease tensions” along the India-Pakistan border. It also had come just as preparations had begun for U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to visit Afghanistan, Pakistan and India, a visit he concluded this week.

“Frankly, we hoped that the offer by General Bajwa would be taken up by the Indian side, or would open a small window for talks, but obviously, it was India’s decision to accept or not,” a U.S. official involved in the planning of the Tillerson visit said.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva on Thursday, Mr. Tillerson said he had told the Pakistani Prime Minister Abbasi and General Bajwa, that his trip was also to “talk about how can we lower the tensions on the border with India,” in an indication that the U.S. still hopes to nudge New Delhi and Islamabad to talks.

https://youtu.be/AYZB8v77cNM

EAM Sushma Swaraj flags off first consignment of wheat from Kandla to Chabahar Port

Cheers Image
Meanwhile text link reporting that the need for the use of the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s transit facilities along with their ability to threaten an economic blockade of Afghanistan by suspending Afghanistan’s use of Pakistani port and road facilities has been substantially reduced by India along with Iran, providing an alternative trade corridor through Iran’s Chabahar Port.

Good to see the clock on the Mohammadden Terrorism Fomenting Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s ability to act as the toll collecting Thekedar of Afghanistan’s external trade winding down:
Delhi sends Kabul 1st wheat shipment through Chabahar

By Pajhwok,
On Oct 29, 2017 - 15:07

KABULinfo-(Pajhwok): Foreign ministers of Afghanistan, India and Iran on Sunday flagged off the maiden shipment of wheat from New Delhi to Kabul through the Chabahar port in Iran.

The Indian government has promised a supply 1.1 million tonnes of wheat for the people of Afghanistan on a grant basis, according to the Asian News International (ANI).

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, her Afghan counterpart Salahuddin Rabbani and Javad Zarif of Iran hailed the first shipment going to Afghanistan through the Chabahar port.

During the visit of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Iran in May 2016, a three-way deal on establishing the International Transport and Transit Corridor was inked.

Over the next few months, six more wheat shipments will be dispatched to Afghanistan. The ministers renewed their pledge to continue cooperation in the interest of the people of Afghanistan and the region as a whole.

India would continue supporting Afghanistan’s reconstruction , capacity-building and socio-economic development, including under the framework of the New Development Partnership, Swaraj said

She also renewed India’s commitment to working closely with regional and international partners to bring peace, security, stability and prosperity to Afghanistan.
From here:

Delhi sends Kabul 1st wheat shipment through Chabahar
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

So, in recapping just today's news, how many things could have gone wrong in ghusalkhanistan? Lets just look at the headlines.

False promises and empty words
http://www.dawn.com/news/1367137/false- ... ds?preview

Food trade deficit grows bigger and bigger
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367098/food- ... and-bigger

Non-tariff barriers hinder exports between China and Pakistan
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367105/non-t ... d-pakistan

Higher power tariffs as regulator is compromised
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367114/highe ... ompromised

Five things that ail the stock market
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367133/five- ... ock-market

Local businesses lose big under CPEC
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367136/local ... under-cpec

Sick PIA to get Rs13 billion bailout package
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367216/sick- ... ut-package

PML-N high command meets in London today
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367217/pml-n ... ndon-today
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Peregrine wrote: Image
Why is the baki PM holding the door open?
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

anupmisra wrote:So, in recapping just today's news, how many things could have gone wrong in ghusalkhanistan? Lets just look at the headlines.
And pak railway is on ventilator. Their much publicized business express stopped operation in 2015 just after 3 years of farce. Then they ordered loco from china and chinese promptly delivered faulty locos. Meanwhile in 2016 a pak delegation visited railway engine modernization facility in Patiala. No progress there. Now they are buying much expensive locos from GE.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

anupmisra wrote:...
Returning the favour from the previous times when Tillerson held his ar$e open.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

Bailable Arrest Filed Against "Fraudster Dar" As He Flies The Coop Under Medical Ailment Pretext :roll:

NAB court issues bailable arrest warrants for Ishaq Dar
As the hearing against Finance Minister Ishaq Dar resumed in accountability court regarding corruption case filed by National Accountability Bureau (NAB), the minister failed to appear before the court today. Hence the Judge Muhammad Bashir issued bailable arrest warrants for the finance minister.
As hearing resumed lawyer of Dar , Khawaja Haris, told the court that his client was in Jeddah for 16th Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Ministerial Conference and fell ill so he had to fly to London for medical treatment.
He filed seeking exemption from appearing of Ishaq Dar but the court rejected the application and issued arrest warrants. NAB has filed reference against Ishaq Dar for holding 'more assets then known sources of income.' The hearing was adjourned till November 2. Will Ganja Sharif able to "arrange" a 10 year visa for this black sheep of his extended family :mrgreen:
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

anupmisra wrote:
Peregrine wrote: Image
anupmisra Ji :

That is his "Additional Responsibility" Jon.

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

anupmisra wrote:So, in recapping just today's news, how many things could have gone wrong in ghusalkhanistan? Lets just look at the headlines.
abhijitm wrote:And pak railway is on ventilator. Their much publicized business express stopped operation in 2015 just after 3 years of farce. Then they ordered loco from china and chinese promptly delivered faulty locos. Meanwhile in 2016 a pak delegation visited railway engine modernization facility in Patiala. No progress there. Now they are buying much expensive locos from GE.
abhijitm Ji :

At "Special Subsidized" Prices.

Cheers Image
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Chinese firm offers 2,000 electric buses for Karachi under $600m project

The chinis will lend and pay themselves for the 2,000 buses (@ $300,000 per bus), and the pakis will bear the debt service. Makes sense.
Thomas Wang, who represents Chinese company Eco-Bus, has reportedly said that the company would also gift two such buses
The buses are being sent here so that these could be tried and evaluated on the roads here and local staffers — drivers, mechanics and other related people — could be trained, he added.
the mayor said that situation / condition of the public transport in the city was pathetic and if this project, which would be evaluated and examined, was materialised, it could solve the transport issues of Karachiites to a great extent. (the mayor of k'rachi said that? He should be impeached for not doing his job)
Wang forgot to add cleaners and bus conductors. Who said that SeePack will not create jobs for the local pakis? Plenty to go around. The mayor, while on a roll, and digging a deeper hole for himself, also said this:
He said that the Chinese company had offered various proposals: they could bring in the investment and operate the buses themselves, they could work in a joint venture — with the government or the local transport — or could just sell the buses.
He said that all these proposals would be examined to see which one was more beneficial for the general public.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1367134/chine ... 0m-project
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

DG ISPR lavishes praise on PCB, law enforcers for successful Pak vs SL T20 match :roll:

Poking the fauji nose where it does not belong !
First commenting on economy, now sports :eek: