Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
saip
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US- Again

Post by saip »

I wonder what Justice Thomas must be thinking:

"This is a high tech lynching of an uppity white."
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Mort Walker wrote: The Democratic party is providing political cover for various resist activities (note harassment of government officials in public) and the #MeToo movement - which has its origins in the Women's march organization from 2017. Organizations such as the pussyhat project. Their objective is to overturn a legitimate election since it was not to their liking. It is very much in line with what the self-important elite were saying that Modi never had a majority in 2014. If Trump wasn't elected in 2016, there would have never been #MeToo movement.
The Democratic party doesn't know its a$$ from a hole in the ground. It destroyed itself by favouring Hillary Killton over Bernie Sanders and alienating a large portion of its voter base in the 2016 election, and it's still feeling the repercussions of that. One after another, new-left candidates have been dethroning establishment, multi-term Democratic congressmen in state primaries. The party obviously does not have the organizational skill to manage its own house, so I am hard pressed to believe that it could provide effective "political cover" to anything outside itself (if it could do all that, why couldn't it even protect its own stalwarts, like House Democratic Caucus Chairman Joe Crowley who was stomped by unknown Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez?)

The Urban Naxals of India are a top-down project where an entrenched, well-organized and funded elite establishment directs the staged expressions of protest, dissent, and outright sedition by MahaThug Bandhan goons and terrorists on the ground.

The Democratic party is in too much of a shambles for any such parallel to be remotely believable. Simply compare them to the Congress party in India... has there been ANY whisper of lifting a finger to remove La Famiglia and its chosen proxies from their positions, despite loss after loss in elections, and one embarrassing statement after another by Pappu? Their control over Urban Naxal networks in India is ironclad.

In fact, any such comparison suggests an inadequate appreciation of the danger posed by actual Urban Naxals in India.

I agree that the #MeToo movement definitely received a huge boost from Trump's election in 2016. The Democrats may be desperately trying to grasp as much mileage as they can from the movement, but that's after the fact.
Last edited by Rudradev on 28 Sep 2018 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

RD,

It is not a complete and organized political cover, but one which provides enough cover where the nut cases are given credibility.

I agree the urban naxals of desh are far more dangerous and better organized for criminal activities starting at the top. When the rest of the US crazies on left get their act together it will be real trouble in the US. The right wing WN and the left will precipitate a race war.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

UlanBatori wrote:I have not got an answer to the question I asked before: What was a 15-year-old girl doing at a frat party with obvious drinking going on, with men older than herself getting themselves smashed. I know one answer but it is not PC. Instead I heard some deflection about "No is a No" etc. But heck, how do you KNOW that there was a NO? Or a YESSS? This was not like if goons stood outside and blocked someone's car and dragged her into the house, hain? This was a participant in the drunken orgy. Planned.
Seems you have little understanding of this particular culture despite presumably having been here for a long time. That may actually be a good thing. :)

Anyway, I'll note at random that:
- Girls of Dr. Ford's high school have recalled in public how they would cover their glasses (tumblers) with their hands to keep them from being spiked with Quaaludes or the like.
- Dr. Ford nee Blasey comes from a Republican family. Her father does not support her even today, he worries that such stuff will cause problems from him in his country club.
- Dr. Ford's parents and Kavanaugh's parents were in the same social circle and friends (one reason for her not saying anything when she was 15).
- Kavanaugh and pals are accused of spiking the punch bowl with alcohol (i.e., putting alcohol where none was expected).

-----
The #MeToo movement seems leftist but only because there is no room for it on the right. I repeat, Rudradev is exactly right that this is about angry women, not about urban naxalites, leftists or any such.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/current/ ... lasey-ford
C-SPAN’s Heartbreaking Calls from Women Sharing Their Stories of Sexual Assault
Republicans have disparaged the #MeToo movement as a flood of female derangement. They have argued that the sheer number of women telling their stories is evidence of a dormant, liberal hysteria come to the surface. So Ford, who had hoped to remain anonymous, wanted to make clear that she was speaking only for herself.

And yet her testimony before the Senate had an immediate effect, causing other victims of sexual violence to experience a surge of unwanted memory. In recent days, we’ve seen people share their stories on Twitter under the hashtag #WhyIDidntReport. On Wednesday, during a break in Ford’s testimony, women watching the hearing called C-SPAN to share stories live on the air. They were Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Their narrations were vivid and jagged, evidence of Ford’s expert observation that trauma may visit the brain “episodically,” the recall more automatic than intentional. Hilary, of Pittsburgh, recounted being in college, having her drink spiked, and fighting off an aggressor. Brenda, of Valley Park, Missouri, is seventy-six years old. In tears, she spoke of being sexually molested in the second grade. The breakdown of her composure was as eloquent as Ford’s astounding poise. “You get confused, and you don’t understand it,” Brenda said. “But you never forget what happened to you.” When Ford’s time before the Senate finished, the calls to C-SPAN continued.
On the same page
Going into Thursday’s hearing, many people were, with good reason, thinking of Anita Hill’s testimony about Clarence Thomas in 1991. But there’s also good reason to think of Al Franken, the former senator from Minnesota. Franken was a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee until last December, when he resigned his Senate seat after several women came forward saying that he had groped them or forcibly tried to kiss them. Those stories first emerged in November, just a few weeks after the #MeToo movement began in earnest with the reporting, in The New Yorker and the Times, about Harvey Weinstein’s alleged history of sexual assault and other terrible and terrifying actions.

The Franken situation forced the Democrats to choose between the movement and a popular, and powerful, member of their party. They chose the movement, even if it has been a source of some tension within the Party since. Around the time the allegations against Franken emerged, Republicans stuck by Roy Moore, their nominee for Senate in a special election in Alabama, despite allegations of his predatory behavior toward teen-agers. Moore lost to his Democratic opponent, Doug Jones.
PS: also, the three named women accusers have all asked for the FBI to investigate. Remember that lying to the FBI is a crime.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I very much believe in allowing people to be heard. But I am not going to be played, and I’m not going to have my intelligence insulted by the Michael Avenattis of the world. I will not be a participant in wholesale character assassination that defies credibility.
— Lindsey Graham (@LindseyGrahamSC) September 26, 2018
Julie Swetnick, represented by Avenatti, said that in the 1980s, she witnessed efforts by Kavanaugh and his classmate Mark Judge to get teenage girls "inebriated and disoriented so they could then be ' gang raped' in a side room or bedroom by a 'train' of numerous boys."
Sen. @LindseyGrahamSC: “You expect me to believe that any reasonable person would go to 10 parties where people are being drugged and raped and not tell anybody about it, I don't believe it. She's on the #TheCircus@Showtime. She's been asked to come before the committee.” pic.twitter.com/zfqehXKZNk
— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) September 27, 2018
I think the donkeys messed up by bringing in this Michael Avenatti clown. Guptaji, I think ur education lacks mandatory readings such as Rosemary Rogers. These stories are lifted straight out of there, except it's about DC, not LA. But Arthur Hailey books are much more available.
All in all, the SCOTUS seems to be heading to be a fun place.

The elephants and Kavanaugh have only the one hope: stick to their story. Any confession, even Finding Jes*s, at this stage will be fatal, the piranhas are circling. But if they stick to their guns neither the Free Biscuits nor anyone else has any hope, IMO, of pinning anything.

Wonder if Kavanaugh does not have the option of filing defamation suits against a whole bunch of entities? (And yeah, they can appeal ... all the way to the SCOTUS.... :shock: )
IMO, Senator Barracudastein looked pretty well deflated by Kavanaugh, stumbling and mumbling the same garbage about "Why didn't U ask for Free Biscuit investigation?" For what?

That is the first sign of the donkey defenses cracking.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 28 Sep 2018 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Avenatti is a byproduct of Trump and Trump's actions. Avenatti is not a Democrat; nor do the Democrats want him or his plan to run for President in 2020.

PS: the cost of speaking up:
https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-techn ... -say-metoo
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The #MeToo movement has it's origins in Trump’s election. The attempt in overturning a legitimate election. Following that it has had unintended consequences when the objective was to remove Trump and other Republicans.

Avenatti is a lifelong Democratic Party memeber ans donor. If one carnival barker can get elected why not another?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

BTW, Kamikaze? Soosai vests?

If these guys are taken seriously, Ford becomes a drunken entity who routinely went to parties for the "fun" and had no idea of WHO, in addition to the WHEN and WHERE that she can't remember. Interesting. If these guys stick to their mijjiles, how is their story going to be disproven? They just had to be in the general vicinity during those years, hain? By not "remembering" when or where, Ford has left herself open, no pun intended, for this explanation to be just as plausible as her complaints. IOW, she is not a liar, just another 4-letter word after "drunken".
WASHINGTON - The Senate Judiciary Committee has questioned two men who say they, not Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, had the disputed encounter with Christine Blasey Ford at a 1982 house party that led to sexual assault allegations.
The revelation was included in a late-night news release by Sen. Chuck Grassley, the top Republican on the committee. The release includes a day-by-day view of the committee's investigative work over the last two weeks since allegations surfaced targeting Kavanaugh.
Ford was the first to step forward with allegations and claimed Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her and attempted to pull off her clothes while both were high school students in 1982. Since then a number of accusations have piled on, including that of a physical assault and several other sexual encounters.
The committee has interviewed two men who came forward about the disputed assault at a summer house party. Both told the committee they, not Kavanaugh, "had the encounter with Dr. Ford in 1982 that is the basis of his complaint," the release states.
The previously unknown interviews could add a new layer to the evolving saga on the eve of a possible explosive hearing between Kavanaugh and Ford, though it's unknown whether the men's claims are being taken seriously.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Getting more interesting: Here is orangeutan telling the troops to pick up their butts and fight instead of cowering:
I love Kavanaugh’s tone. It’s nice to see a conservative man fight for his honor and his family against a 35 year old claim with ZERO evidence and lots of holes that amounts to nothing more than a political hit job by the Dems. Others in the GOP should take notice!
And on cue, his flunky:
Sarah Sanders
‏Verified account @PressSec
1h1 hour ago
.@LindseyGrahamSC has more decency and courage than every Democrat member of the committee combined. God bless him
Isn't Graham usually on DT's poo list? Trying to get himself rehabilitated?
And NBC weanie whining:
Bill Neely
(@BillNeelyNBC)
US Senator Klobucher, a woman, asks #BrettKavanaugh if he's ever blacked out while drinking. He says he hasn't & twice asks her, "have you?" She says she doesn't have a drinking problem. "Neither do I," he says. Surely inappropriate questions for a witness, never mind a Judge.
Oh yeah, why not? Incidentally, the same question was asked earlier by Mme. Prosecutora and answered, so this was just grandstanding by the Senator and backfired big-time. Probably someone will now find someone to Step Forward and claim that Klobucher simply doesn't remember all the times she was passed out with her panties being found under the sofa next morning.
The Verge
(@verge)
Star Wars voice actress mocks Christine Blasey Ford’s voice during Kavanaugh testimony www.theverge.com/2018/9… pic.twitter.com/YunHam7…
India REALLY needs these sorts of "hearings" for Supreme Court nominees instead of the boring stuff about real estate deals and other eye-glazing white-collar crime. THIS is what Democracy is all about, hain?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Guptaji, I think thanks to your explanation of the family ties etc, I have hit upon the REAL evidence in this case.
BK did not just jump from High School Gang Rapist/ Drunken Bully to Supreme Court Nominee. He had a career in law school, he had a career as an ambu-chaser, then he became a Federal Judge.

Now this Ford bibi, having suffered such extreme trauma that she had to go see a shrink and being in such horror etc, it is understandable that she didn't want to tell her parents about it because they would have grounded her from any more drunken frat parties.

BUT.... at age. mid-30s? 40s? when BK was being considered for Federal Judge, why did her overwhelming sense of patriotic zeal and Duty To Protect Other Wimmens, etc, induce her to send a simple anonymous letter to the Eph Bee Eye or at least the Bar Association (I mean the legal one, not the Beer one) saying:
Allo! This bugger is a drunken lout and rapist onlee!
Did she? And keep a copy of that, to prove that its' the Feds' fault that they did not listen?

Or did her Overwhelming Sense of Patriotic Zeal and Duty To Protect Other Wimmens, etc, only kick in a month ago, hain?

This is a vicious, vicious political dirty campaign. I think Feinstein and she should all go enjoy the hospitality of the Fed Pen.

FYI, even Preeti Bansal Bibi of USCIRF fame, got a campaign started by yindoos with long memories when she was being considered as Fed Judge or Attorney Jarnail of Noo Yoik or something like that. Fortunately her candidacy was quashed by someone, I don't know who. So it is clear that there IS a process for input during such things (IOW, the prospect is public knowledge).

Down with Ford and her damned lies.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

From The New Yorker: The Score Card comes out. :((
The Democrats’ Missed Opportunities With Brett Kavanaugh

By Osita Nwanevu

7:37 PM
Brett Kavanaugh came into Thursday’s hearing angry and unravelling. But he’s bucked up a bit now that it’s become clear that the Democrats on the committee—appropriately empathetic during Christine Blasey Ford’s time in the hearing room—didn’t have a clue what to do with him. The Democrats were unprepared for this hearing. The list of topics they could have quizzed Kavanaugh about is long, and includes the new allegations by Deborah Ramirez and Julie Swetnick :roll: and speculation :roll: that the Ethics and Public Policy Center’s Ed Whelan may have coördinated the development of his theory of mistaken identity with Kavanaugh’s team. The Democrats elected instead to prod Kavanaugh about his drinking habits and demand—repeatedly and futilely—that he ask the White House for an F.B.I. investigation. That’s clearly not happening, and every breath spent by Dick Durbin, Sheldon Whitehouse, Amy Klobuchar, Richard Blumenthal, and Chris Coons on the subject was wasted. The Republicans on the committee picked up on this, and began to ask the Democrats why they didn’t simply ask Kavanaugh the questions they want the F.B.I. to probe, here and now. “So I ask my Democratic colleagues,” Mike Lee said, “if you have a question for Judge Kavanaugh, ask him! He’s right here! If that’s really what you want, the truth, ask him questions right now!” Moreover, Kavanaugh’s boisterous interruptions—however they came off on camera—were effective in interrupting the flow of questioning and flustering his interlocutors. The Democrats managed to extract a definition for “boofing” from Kavanaugh, though, so there’s that.
:(( :((

UBCN's Simple Generalized Model of US Politics:
Elephants and Donkeys are both crooked. However, the Elephants are smarter and more effective crooks while the donkeys are clumsy.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Latest prediction: 57-43.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Meanwhile, more brilliance:
The personal information of several Republican senators who sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee was published online in the middle of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's testimony before the panel Thursday. The information — including home addresses, phone numbers, and personal email addresses — appeared on the Wikipedia pages of Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee of Utah, and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.
A spokesperson for Hatch confirmed that the additions, which were quickly deleted from the Wikipedia pages, contained the lawmaker's real personal information.

"It’s shocking that someone would post Senator Hatch and other Judiciary Committee Republican’s personal information, including home addresses, putting their families in danger," said Matt Whitlock, communications director for Hatch. "That it’s happening as they ask questions in a Supreme Court confirmation hearing is just another sign of how terrible this process has gotten."

According to a Twitter bot that identified the changes, the edits appeared to come from a computer on Capitol Hill, although POLITICO could not confirm that was accurate. The purpose of the edits was also unclear. White House spokesperson Raj Shah :eek: weighed in on Twitter, asking the online user responsible for the publications to "please stop."
"This is outrageous," Shah wrote.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 28 Sep 2018 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Meanwhile:
Trump thrilled by Kavanaugh's angry defiance :mrgreen:

Graham's blast
And Durbin shows himself for the ouseule that he has always been.

hey, how come there has been no discussion of the fact (if true, per BK) that "Ms. Kaiser, Ford's long-term friend who she claimed were at the party, denies ever having seen Kavanaugh: Kavanaugh was NOT at the party described by Ms. Ford".

Isn't that a killer piece against Ford? Also, I didn't know that Ford is a California piskologist. Seems like she is as much a horror as Feinstein, Boxer and Pelosi?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Now comes the real horse-trading: committee vote, then floor vote.
NewsChannel 5
(@NC5)
BREAKING: Sen. Bob Corker announces he plans to vote to confirm Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
His statement is a sickening sham of PC-ness, but he says :No corroborating evidence, and the guy is qualified so..
Incredibly wishy-washy mealy-mouthed twerp.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

UlanBatori wrote:Meanwhile, more brilliance:
The personal information of several Republican senators who sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee was published online in the middle of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's testimony before the panel Thursday. The information — including home addresses, phone numbers, and personal email addresses — appeared on the Wikipedia pages of Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee of Utah, and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.
A spokesperson for Hatch confirmed that the additions, which were quickly deleted from the Wikipedia pages, contained the lawmaker's real personal information.

"It’s shocking that someone would post Senator Hatch and other Judiciary Committee Republican’s personal information, including home addresses, putting their families in danger," said Matt Whitlock, communications director for Hatch. "That it’s happening as they ask questions in a Supreme Court confirmation hearing is just another sign of how terrible this process has gotten."

According to a Twitter bot that identified the changes, the edits appeared to come from a computer on Capitol Hill, although POLITICO could not confirm that was accurate. The purpose of the edits was also unclear. White House spokesperson Raj Shah :eek: weighed in on Twitter, asking the online user responsible for the publications to "please stop."
"This is outrageous," Shah wrote.

The work of urban naxals or in deference to RD-ji, since we don't want to downplay the dangers of the urban naxals in desh, the wannabe urban naxals of Armeeka (AKA The Democratic Party).
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Psst.. Now it is pretty clear that the "rapist" allegations are all bogus. I think the Committee will vote him in, and I think the elephants have the votes to get him passed. So it is time to look beyond.

But what makes the UN so desperate? One described the guy as "evil". What about his Fed Judge record is so bad? OK anyone who was close enough to Dubya to be on the WHOTUS staff, had to be a Hitler Jugend type, no doubt. But what was this guy then? NeoCon? Bolton look-alike?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A contract reflecting the odds of Kavanaugh’s confirmation within the past 24 hours rose to above 70 cents from a low of 36 cents intraday on the political betting market PredictIt and about 44 cents just before his testimony, which followed Ford’s.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i wonder if BK would enjoy sitting next to the yak herder and the walker in his Virginia country club for cocktails
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

In my vast dealings in the dung bijnej, I find that the worst racists are not necessarily those people-gender-religion-skin-color that are most blamed for racism (using the term in a broad sense, as in "sh1ts that are not honest enough to treat people objectively on merits and with empathy, not as objects".)

So to answer your question, yes I have sat in DC Clubs whose membership is extremely exclusive with people hu were mostly, shall we say, of "one community-color"? No "cocktails" unless you count Diet Coke. Wasn't exactly to "enjoy" sitting next to someone etc.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

that's great and may the blessings of teb tengri be upon you, but you miss my point
time for another horn of kara koumiss
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I think the basic issue Dems want to control the khanland by judges. There is one school which allows "creative" ie PC BS method interpretation of the law or strictly interpreted method of the original meaning of the words. BK is original meaning school and Dems fellows will be very creative in reading US constitution.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

or you could also say the republicans want to have the judiciary skewed for the next 3 decades to a right wing conservative hardline bench
the fact that there is such heated debate about this fundamental difference in view (even on BRF) speaks volumes about the state of health of the American system - a lot of people are dug in to their trenches and there is no dialogue
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A_Gupta wrote:Speaking of lacking education,
https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/27/1 ... -kavanaugh
Again, the trouble with digging up all these things from 35 yrs ago, is that the presumed villain is not up for his FIRST Federal judicial appointment. He was appointed a Federal Judge years after he graduated from Rape House I mean Yale.

The Traumatized, terrified Victims (TV), who couldn't function because of the trauma and were continually in piskological therapy, had every opportunity to send ONE LETTER??? ONE PHONE CALL??? saying: "er... why is this rapist being nominated to the Federal Bench?"

At the time he was just an ambu-chaser. Highly paid, but very little Power. The TV were rich and powerful themselves. It was not the 1980s, but it was a time after the President had been nearly impeached for his Ovary Office antics.

Was there such a letter? A phone call? Something that has records?

Or did all the trauma only suddenly boil over when he became a Supreme Court Nominee, hain?
I am waiting for the report of Nasal Injury to some of the Witnesses. When they turned their heads going through a doorway.

BTW, y'all are being sloppy, and have missed the latest on SeeEnnEnn: another blonde bibi Yale Sex Kitten declaring that NK was "Lying" because she SAW him at so many parties where he was drinking, and he was "staggering drunk" at his Fraternity Initiation. So he "must have" passed out, and "could not have remembered what he did that day". Of course SHE can remember because she was an absolute teetotaller and kept her Honor Dignity and So Virginity through all that Yale Culture. :roll:

Liar House, Yale. No different from all the fraternities. And as you see, the Big Jobs in America are decided by these. The guy I went to eat dinner with at the Dung Club was also a Yale Law grad, IIRC. Very rich too.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 28 Sep 2018 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Where Justice Kavanaugh stands on Non-Fraternity-Rape Issues: From CNN
Roe v. Wade
Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine told reporters in August that Kavanaugh informed her that he considers Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion nationwide, to be settled law.

Kavanaugh has not expressed outright opposition to Roe v. Wade. In 2006, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, now the Senate Democratic leader, pressed Kavanaugh on his personal opinion about Roe, but he declined to answer, saying, "I don't think it would be appropriate for me to give a personal view on that case." The exchange took place during a hearing to consider Kavanaugh's nomination to serve on the DC circuit.

{When Prof. Ford had no comment on his qualification to be a Fed. Judge, nor did Ms. Swetnick}

Kavanaugh did say, however, that if he became a judge on the circuit court, he would uphold Supreme Court precedent with respect to Roe. "If confirmed to the DC Circuit, I would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully. That would be binding precedent of the court. It has been decided by the Supreme Court," he said at the time. (The Supreme Court, of course, can overturn its previous decisions.)

Because Kennedy was a swing vote in favor of abortion rights, his departure from the court has sparked alarm among abortion rights activists that Roe v. Wade could be overturned. In addition, Trump has long vowed to appoint justices who would reverse Roe and allow the states to determine whether abortion should be legal.

Abortion
One of Kavanaugh's opinions likely to draw scrutiny from senators is his dissent from a ruling of the DC Circuit last October that an undocumented immigrant teen in detention was entitled to seek an abortion.

In his dissent, Kavanaugh wrote the Supreme Court has held that "the government has permissible interests in favoring fetal life, protecting the best interests of a minor, and refraining from facilitating abortion." He wrote that the high court has "held that the government may further those interests so long as it does not impose an undue burden on a woman seeking an abortion." He said the majority opinion was "based on a constitutional principle as novel as it is wrong: a new right for unlawful immigrant minors in US government detention to obtain immediate abortion on demand."

Executive branch authority
Democrats are likely to make Kavanaugh's views on presidential power a focus of the hearings. {yeah, if u're talking of POTSUS Clinton & Kennedy on best use of the WHOTUS}
In a 2009 Minnesota Law Review article, Kavanaugh wrote that "Congress might consider a law exempting a President -- while in office -- from criminal prosecution and investigation, including from questioning by criminal prosecutors or defense counsel." In the same article, however, he noted, "If the President does something dastardly, the impeachment process is available."

Kavanaugh said back in 1999 that the landmark Supreme Court opinion that ordered President Richard Nixon to turn over White House recordings toward the end of the Watergate investigation might have been "wrongly decided."
The comments were part of an interview in Washington Lawyer magazine. Reached for comment, the White House pointed to a more recent speech in which Kavanaugh praised the 1974 opinion in United States v. Nixon, which set a key precedent limiting presidential claims of executive privilege.

Agency power and government regulation
Kavanaugh has demonstrated a deep suspicion of government regulation, a pattern aligned with the Trump administration and perhaps best exemplified by his dissent in the case of a killer whale that attacked a SeaWorld trainer.

As Kavanaugh criticized a Labor Department move to sanction SeaWorld following the drowning of a trainer by the orca Tilikum, he declared that the agency had "stormed headlong into a new regulatory arena" and warned that regulators would try to impose new safety requirements on sports, the circus and more.

Overall, his view is that agencies should exercise authority as clearly spelled out in federal statutes and that judges should not, as occurred in the SeaWorld case, defer to agency interpretations that go beyond what's explicit in a law.

In opinions and speeches, Kavanaugh has questioned a ruling in a 1984 Supreme Court case, Chevron v. Natural Resources Defense Council, that said judges should defer to agency interpretations of ambiguous laws. That, he said in a 2017 speech, "encourages agency aggressiveness on a large scale."

Religious liberty

Kavanaugh's opinion in a case involving a challenge under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act to the Affordable Care Act's so-called contraceptive mandate, Priests for Life v. HHS, has also drawn scrutiny. In a dissent, he expressed sympathy for the religious challengers. Making reference to the Supreme Court's ruling in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, he wrote that "the regulations substantially burden the religious organizations' exercise of religion because the regulations require the organizations to take an action contrary to their sincere religious beliefs."

In a line that has attracted some conservative criticism, however, Kavanaugh also wrote in his dissent that Supreme Court precedent "strongly suggests that the government has a compelling interest in facilitating access to contraception for the employees of these religious organizations."

Obamacare
When a lawsuit challenging the Affordable Care Act reached Kavanaugh's Washington appeals court in 2011, he was careful not to commit and did not vote on the merits of the case.

Kavanaugh dissented from the 2-1 ruling in favor of the 2010 law known as Obamacare. He said judges had no jurisdiction at that point to resolve the merits of the dispute.

He described the law requiring people to buy health insurance as "unprecedented" and the breadth of the Obama administration's defense of it "jarring." But at the same time, Kavanaugh said judges "should be wary of upending" Congress' effort to help provide Americans with quality health care.

In 2011, Kavanaugh dissented from a majority opinion of the DC Circuit that upheld a ban that applied to semiautomatic rifles in the District of Columbia.

In his dissent, he wrote that the Supreme Court had previously "held that handguns -- the vast majority of which today are semiautomatic -- are constitutionally protected because they have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens."
Citing a previous high court ruling, Kavanaugh went on to say, "It follows from Heller's protection of semiautomatic handguns that semiautomatic rifles are also constitutionally protected and that DC's ban on them is unconstitutional."

Privacy and national security
In 2015, Kavanaugh wrote an opinion defending the US government's controversial metadata collection program, in part citing national security considerations. He wrote that the program "is entirely consistent with the Fourth Amendment," which protects against unreasonable search and seizure.
He wrote that the program "does not capture the content of communications, but rather the time and duration of calls and the numbers called," and said it "serves a critically important special need -- preventing terrorist attacks on the United States." Kavanaugh argued "that critical national security need outweighs the impact on privacy occasioned by this program."

Net neutrality
In a 2017 dissent, Kavanaugh said he believed that Obama-era net neutrality regulations were "unlawful" and wrote that the policy violated the First Amendment.

At issue were rules approved by the Federal Communications Commission in 2015 to more strictly regulate the Internet. The rules, based on the principle of "net neutrality," were intended to provide equal opportunity for Internet speeds and access to websites. In a May 2017 order, a majority of the DC Circuit declined to review an earlier decision siding with the FCC. Under the Trump administration, the FCC has since moved to dismantle the regulation.

Kavanaugh wrote in his 2017 dissenting opinion that the regulation was consequential and "transforms the Internet." But he said the rule "impermissibly infringes on the Internet service providers' editorial discretion," and he suggested the FCC had overreached in issuing the regulation. "Congress did not clearly authorize the FCC to issue the net neutrality rule," he wrote.
This story has been updated.

CNN's Ariane de Vogue, Sunlen Serfaty and Jose Pagliery contributed to this report.
This guy wouldn't have lasted a month in Stalin's Soviet Union.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

anyhoo
the republicanistas are going to push through the vote today and fratboy will be a supremojudgio by sundown (and all varmints will have to vamoose)
come the mid terms there will likely be a big swing away from republicanistas to democratistas
someone must be doing the maths in HQ
fat lady has not sung yet
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Question: Watch India-BD Asia Cup Final, or listen to COTUSmouths mouthing off. Both disasters...
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Trump administration sees a 7-degree rise in global temperatures by 2100
But the administration did not offer this dire forecast as part of an argument to combat climate change. Just the opposite: The analysis assumes the planet’s fate is already sealed.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

A_Gupta wrote:Speaking of lacking education,
https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/27/1 ... -kavanaugh
Arunji,

Sir you’ve missed the point. This isn’t about rape and assault that you’ve put references to continually for people to cry and have sympathy. It is about power politics pure and simple.

The Democratic Party is behaving like the mango man party, the difference being they have many Kejriwals.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Mort Walker wrote: The Democratic Party is behaving like the mango man party, the difference being they have many Kejriwals.
for education purposes, please also provide an assessment of how you believe the republican party is behaving
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Lalmohan wrote:
Mort Walker wrote: The Democratic Party is behaving like the mango man party, the difference being they have many Kejriwals.
for education purposes, please also provide an assessment of how you believe the republican party is behaving
Like a majority party. The minority party is seeking a mahagatbandhan come 2020.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Man! Once u listen to these sh1ts for a couple of hours, one can go into Space. No motion sickness to worry about, if you survive the nausea that arises.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Congress has abdicated their legislative duties to the executive branch, so liberals look up to courts to do their legislation for them. That is why, they fight so bitterly against anyone nominated by a Republican President. Republicans OTOH don’t want judges to interfere so that they continue legislation thru the executive

Obama/Clinton are the reasons for Trump election. Clinton and Obama deserted traditional blue collar democrat voter for elitist followers.

There seems to growing attraction for socialism among young folks due to left leaning educational system.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Mort Walker wrote:This isn’t about rape and assault that you’ve put references to continually for people to cry and have sympathy. It is about power politics pure and simple.
What do your female family / friends think? Do they agree with you?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Eklavyaji: Consider that the Holy Credible Accuser is a trained piskologist. Expert at faking lie detectors. Also, back when this BK was being nominated as Fed Judge she was already a prof, powerful and apparently had no recollection of these traumatic events that have dogged her all through her life since 2015.
We are watching sophisticated liars on all sides. Of course incl the Emotional Dad Kavanaugh: guy probably send several people to jail for 20 years over the cries of their relatives, male and female, every day with hardly a twitch.
Feinstein is the worst of them all, followed by Durbin. The twits on the elephant side are no better: they obstructed all government for 8 years under BO.
No heroes here, just villains. Enjoy the show.Probably every one there is a frat/sorority animal with a history of drunken orgies: how the heck else did they build up the network to stand for elections? CERTAINLY not by being saints.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by eklavya »

UBji: what do your female family / friends think? That the professor is making this up?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

eklavya wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:This isn’t about rape and assault that you’ve put references to continually for people to cry and have sympathy. It is about power politics pure and simple.
What do your female family / friends think? Do they agree with you?
My daughters and wife do not drink or attend parties with any frat boys. If they are in anyway physically intimidated or threatened they report it. They ain’t gonna wait 36 years.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

eklavya wrote:UBji: what do your female family / friends think? That the professor is making this up?
She played the victim perfectly. Very believable, but a highly educated Ph. D. who didn’t know how to take the oath correctly for testimony? That gave her away. Go back and watch the video at beginning. She’s a political plant.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
MW-ji, thanks for the reply. But you didn’t answer the question!

Unfortunately we live in a world where many people (boys and girls) do not have the “strength” to report their trauma. Witness the stories coming out of the Catholic Church. They wonder if they will be believed. Even if they are believed, they wonder if they will be blamed. They don’t want to be put through the institutional process, which can be rough.

Anyway, the judiciary committee has voted 11-10 in favour of the frat boy.