Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by Vayutuvan »

Cain Marko wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote:
Sorry for that sour note. Cain Marko's post was an ad hominem. I was pointing that out with civility. Please delete at will. I will delete this one soon.
MY post was an Ad hominem? How? And in who's direction? Saar, ...
misunderstanding only ji. let us move on, shall we? not all Illini support Ombaba, if you know what I mean. peace.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Singha wrote:question - other than BHIM app and scanning UPI QR code, what other means can i use to access UPI and avoid visa/m ? even most debit cards are visa/m
RuPay is India's most issued debit card, which does not rely on mastercard/ Visa.
Your banks will have a UPI app, or as part of their online banking (apart from BHIM). PayTM gives you a UPI option too.

I had helped with a presentation for NPCI a couple of years ago where I had urged a shift away from `me too' credit cards to a true `Made in India' payment solution that breaks the stranglehold of master/visa.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Call your bank and ask them to replace current debit card with rupay ones.

You can do that to credit cards as well, but you may want to keep at least one card in v/m for foreign travel.
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

A related question. Will Rupay card work at all ATMs? Also what about card reader machines at petrol bunks?
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

nandakumar wrote:A related question. Will Rupay card work at all ATMs? Also what about card reader machines at petrol bunks?
I am using it in chennai and interior TN. in rural areas, rupay is even more widespread as most people's first card is rupay via JDY accounts.
Anoop.G
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anoop.G »

Since RuPay has tied up with Discover Financial Services, the third largest card issuer in US, I have been using my US Discover card freely in India for over 2 years at RuPay outlets. I believe the reciprocal arrangement is true too. Almost every card outlet in US accepts Discover and therefore Indian RuPay cards should be acceptable in US freely, almost everywhere though I haven’t tried it since I don’t have a RuPay card. Other BRF members could throw some light on this if they have tried it.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Trump's pushback against China is catching on globally as European negotiator declares an end to the region's 'naivety'

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-p ... on-2018-11
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

"It will mark L'musharraf de Naivette Oiropeeienne " Proust said.
"All ze world powers — the United States, Japan, China — have a method of screening. Europe being a hot air balloon does not."
Wasn't India in a joint project with Cheen to develop the Yellow Kaveri/Kabini Core? Anything come out of that (I mean out of china: clearly the one-of-a-kind Kaveri Hypersonic Turbomachine technology went out of India when Fa Hien returned to Beijing).
This actually belongs in the Neuj Bojitif d'Oiropienne dhaga, hain?
No More Monsieur et Madame Nice Guy(ette)!
The Oiropienne Chief (Inspecteure) Negotiator naturally assumes that she is superior to ze leettil chinese in negotiations. Let's see: In ze blue corner: Broke, disunited, stupid, drunk Oiropiennes. In ze Red Corner, the smartest from Beijing Institute of Negotiation to Reduce Dimensions Of Freshly-Obtained Shirts & Trousers From Round-Eye Impeliarists. Look for their entire team to be wearing brand-new clothes with store tags still hanging, after returning from latest Trade Talks with cheen, while cheen team will be racing to Hong Kong Tailors to shorten sleeves and inseams of THEIR new clothes.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Vayutuvan wrote:
Cain Marko wrote: MY post was an Ad hominem? How? And in who's direction? Saar, ...
misunderstanding only ji. let us move on, shall we? not all Illini support Ombaba, if you know what I mean. peace.
Peace Saar, these illini types I tell ya.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

fake news report on highly conflicted mueller pushing on his witch-hunt and getting one step closer to "i was joking about julian assange" robert stone

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/23/poli ... index.html
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Netflix has a docu drama "Get me Roger Stone"
Looks like he and Manafort are backroom fixers for decades.
In DT language original swamp creatures.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Netflex is also going towards PC rubbish.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

ramana wrote:Netflix has a docu drama "Get me Roger Stone"
Looks like he and Manafort are backroom fixers for decades.
In DT language original swamp creatures.
and they are primarily responsible for putting DT on the throne... you do the math
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Fallout of last year White House correspondence dinner backlash - No Comedy program this time.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I detect an argument is being built to challenge 2020 election results based on demographics, proportional representation and other factors that froze Congress seats per the 1910 historical compromise.
Since then the population has changed in size and location, there were two world wars and a Cold War. All these changed the demographics.

Expect some fireworks on this issue.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Utah: Elephant in donkey's clothing or vice versa? Another one who dissed trump bites the dust and goes down :(( :((
She tried to run as a Republican - while being chromatic - in UTAH :roll: - while her public views were all donkeystani.
Dissed the POTUS.
In the end, fell into both elephant dung and donkey poo. Eulogized by See Enn Enn (of course).
The story of Coriolmusharraf comes to mind from Ulan Bator SSLC (or was it PreDegree) text book. Closing sentence was, IIRC
Thus died Coriol-musharraf. A victim of his own Pakiness
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

manafort now being charged with lying to the FBI during his cooperation agreement and sentencing is due to follow soon
roger stone's associate is expecting to be indicted soon as well, he has revealed that he has committed perjury around the release of the DNC hacking info to wiki and discussed this with Mueller

and Assange has been revealed as being due for indictment in a related court filing

roger has been expecting his time in the barrel soon as he so eloquently puts it
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

roger stone won't go down that easy. lots of dirty tricks up his sleeve.

manafort is now accused of not cooperating. he will now refuse all cooperation and take sentencing, and get pardoned. corsey is dillydallying and will drag his feet. trump is now labeling mueller as "gone rogue". firings, sealed indictments, leaks etc are going to start. trump has a window now before democrats take over house. he would want to get rid of mueller before the subpoena's start.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

he will have to move fast - the written answers appear to have sunk manafort... which suggests that they are going to sink others too...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

:shock: and even this moving mountain is not the biggest, there is a breed in italy thats even larger. massa sure has a bullish abillity to take anything and supersize XXL it. from carriers to pickup trucks to chota mota heat-efficient desi bulls.

The Brahman or Brahma is a breed of zebu cattle that was first bred in United States from cattle breeds imported from India. Brahma cattle were produced by cross-breeding the Kankrej, Guzerat, Ongole, Gir and Krishna Valley breeds of cattle.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Gus wrote:roger stone won't go down that easy. lots of dirty tricks up his sleeve.

manafort is now accused of not cooperating. he will now refuse all cooperation and take sentencing, and get pardoned. corsey is dillydallying and will drag his feet. trump is now labeling mueller as "gone rogue". firings, sealed indictments, leaks etc are going to start. trump has a window now before democrats take over house. he would want to get rid of mueller before the subpoena's start.
The House Urban Naxals are out for blood and it will not matter what the Orangeman does. These naxalites will be falling over each other trying to get political credit for bringing Orangeman down. They will subpoena and start impeachment process culminating next summer. Orangeman needs to play this up to ensure the naxalites drag it as long as possible to ensure victory in 2020.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

don't worry, Pelosi will save him
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Lalmohan wrote:don't worry, Pelosi will save him
There is truth to that. She’s as corrupt as Orangeman. Under the table deal and they’ll literally be kissing each other. The pair of them puts to shame the Lalu Yadav and Mulyam Singh Yadav collaboration.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^All are like that. Add in Gavin Newsom and Kamala Harris. Who brokered the deal between K. Harris and G. Newsom on who will go for house and who will go for CA guv?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-go ... 53661.html
Harris used the oldest Bible in the California State Library, and Newsom signed a message in the book, as Govs. Gray Davis and George Deukmejian had done previously.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... an-embassy
Manafort held secret talks with Assange in Ecuadorian embassy, sources say
Trump ally met WikiLeaks founder months before emails hacked by Russia were published
Luke Harding and Dan Collyns in Quito
Tue 27 Nov 2018 09.23 EST
Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort held secret talks with Julian Assange inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, and visited around the time he joined Trump’s campaign, the Guardian has been told.
Sources have said Manafort went to see Assange in 2013, 2015 and in spring 2016 – during the period when he was made a key figure in Trump’s push for the White House.
In a statement, Manafort denied meeting Assange. He said: “I have never met Julian Assange or anyone connected to him. I have never been contacted by anyone connected to WikiLeaks, either directly or indirectly. I have never reached out to Assange or WikiLeaks on any matter.” It is unclear why Manafort would have wanted to see Assange and what was discussed. But the last apparent meeting is likely to come under scrutiny and could interest Robert Mueller, the special prosecutor who is investigating alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.
A well-placed source has told the Guardian that Manafort went to see Assange around March 2016. Months later WikiLeaks released a stash of Democratic emails stolen by Russian intelligence officers.
Manafort, 69, denies involvement in the hack and says the claim is “100% false”. His lawyers initially declined to answer the Guardian’s questions about the visits. In a series of tweets WikiLeaks said Assange and Manafort had not met. Assange described the story as a hoax. Manafort was jailed this year and was thought to have become a star cooperator in the Mueller inquiry. But on Monday Mueller said Manafort had repeatedly lied to the FBI, despite agreeing to cooperate two months ago in a plea deal. According to a court document, Manafort had committed “crimes and lies” on a “variety of subject matters”.
His defence team says he believes what he has told Mueller to be truthful and has not violated his deal.
Gautam
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

How can a American have a "secret meeting" inside a embassy being watched 24x7 by multiple agencies? I guess even every fly entering the place is recorded and referenced
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

so clearly he was recorded attending these meetings - as we know from other people who were 'caught' doing so, e.g. farrage - all of whom denied doing so. the ecuadorians have also been collaborating with MI5/6 and FBI/CIA according to some reports. who meets Assange is therefore not a secret. if you withhold that from the FBI you will be caught out

as an interesting tangential example, the Estonian secret service appears to have recorder MBS ordering the hit on khashoggi, everyone is listening to everyone else
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Assange is monitored by both the Ecuadorian embassy and the British Intelligence, 24/7. He has over stayed his welcome there and maybe expelled. It is not possible to visit him without these two agencies knowing. On the other hand I do not expect that the Guardian published the article without verifying the information.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 39715.html
Gautam
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

yes..but what is the endgame really, if trump refuses to submit to subpoena and it goes to SC and he has 5-4 there..and majority in senate as well..so no impeachment. only house investigation drama.

at best, mueller can indict everybody below him and watch them get pardoned, if he does not get fired before that / sealed indictments are already there.

all evidences and proofs will be dismissed as fake news, deep state blah blah.

there's a section of the country that's perfectly fine with traitor trump instead of crooked hilary. and another section which is in a bubble of different reality. it will all be left to "people's court" in 2020 and it will get even more acrimonious than the mid term. nothing will ever get done on many pressing issues ...every week has a mass shooting and it's now at the stage of "three killed in Kashmir" that we went through in 90s.

i got out while i can..so i can now laugh at all this :lol:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

you are right in that 'the base' really doesn't care, even if footage emerges of the entire trump clan literally gubo'ing with uncle Vlad's stable lads whilst MBS does golden showers on them, it will all be ok as long as they are delivering jobs in the rust belt, tax cuts, conservative judges, upholding white values and promoting evanjehadism. so to an extent it doesn't matter if they are guilty of collusion - even though a number of very serious laws will have been broken. no one cares - and we have supporters of that pov right here on BRF, so nothing to see here, move on.

the SDNY criminal prosecutions on the other hand - cannot be pardoned by el presidente. bannon forecast it himself a few months ago - don jr will be ripped apart on national tv on money laundering charges

the chaos that will ensue in America as a result of all this is precisely the outcome desired from non-linear warfare
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

Gus wrote:...
all evidences and proofs will be dismissed as fake news, deep state blah blah.

there's a section of the country that's perfectly fine with traitor trump instead of crooked hilary. and another section which is in a bubble of different reality. it will all be left to "people's court" in 2020 and it will get even more acrimonious than the mid term. nothing will ever get done on many pressing issues ...
Not really. Things will get done. And it is THE area which very deep state/deep big business is good at and knows how to get most important things done (which uber matters) in the first two years before mid term (i.e. Tax cuts, regulation roll back, oversight roll back etc.). Rest is all dog and pony show. These stakeholders are like lawyers, always win (and get paid) no matter who wins the case.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

SDNY can get jr, possibly damad (julyani telling damad was expendable was bizarre, but can become true..) all courtesy of cohen who seems to have completely flipped, unlike manafort. but the russian question will still remain contested and the tribes will continue to treat it as every other issue.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

so the chess moves have been in the works for some time. SDNY was always going to be a big player, hence determination to hit bharara, then schneiderman and get them out of the way. preet-ji was ready to investigate deutsche bank for organising dodgy loans to trump-minars, but then he got shunted

mafia trials all work the same way and this is no exception - get the street corner thug to rat on the neighbourhood thug who rats on the precinct boss who rats on the city don who rats on the east coat capo, etc., etc. manafort is high up in the chain, and he knows where lots and lots of skeletons are buried, he must be calling in a lot of favours right now
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

SDNY is federal court, not state of NY, so get that straight. There is also a statute of limitations too as these are not capital crimes like murder. Sealed indictments may work, but it is upto the federal prosecutor and judge to decide going forward on that. Orangeman and Republican senate is filling these district federal courts with Republican judges and making sure to remove prosecutors who have a hidden agenda.

The Urban Naxals only have the Mueller agenda to help them. Orangeman knows the special investigator falls under justice department - an executive branch agency. No one will be fired, but rest assured the next budget coming by Dec. 7th will cut Mueller’s funding. It’s been 19 months now and they should submit indictments and start writing their reports. From the Watergate break in to Nixon’s resignation was 25 months.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

g.sarkar wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... an-embassy
Manafort held secret talks with Assange in Ecuadorian embassy, sources say
Trump ally met WikiLeaks founder months before emails hacked by Russia were published
Luke Harding and Dan Collyns in Quito
Tue 27 Nov 2018 09.23 EST
Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort held secret talks with Julian Assange inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, and visited around the time he joined Trump’s campaign, the Guardian has been told.
Sources have said Manafort went to see Assange in 2013, 2015 and in spring 2016
– during the period when he was made a key figure in Trump’s push for the White House.
In a statement, Manafort denied meeting Assange. He said: “I have never met Julian Assange or anyone connected to him. I have never been contacted by anyone connected to WikiLeaks, either directly or indirectly. I have never reached out to Assange or WikiLeaks on any matter.” It is unclear why Manafort would have wanted to see Assange and what was discussed. But the last apparent meeting is likely to come under scrutiny and could interest Robert Mueller, the special prosecutor who is investigating alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.
A well-placed source has told the Guardian that Manafort went to see Assange around March 2016. Months later WikiLeaks released a stash of Democratic emails stolen by Russian intelligence officers.

Manafort, 69, denies involvement in the hack and says the claim is “100% false”. His lawyers initially declined to answer the Guardian’s questions about the visits. In a series of tweets WikiLeaks said Assange and Manafort had not met. Assange described the story as a hoax. Manafort was jailed this year and was thought to have become a star cooperator in the Mueller inquiry. But on Monday Mueller said Manafort had repeatedly lied to the FBI, despite agreeing to cooperate two months ago in a plea deal. According to a court document, Manafort had committed “crimes and lies” on a “variety of subject matters”.
His defence team says he believes what he has told Mueller to be truthful and has not violated his deal.

Gautam
Highlighted key portions of the report.
So Guardian got info that Manafort met Assange inside the Ecuadoran Embassy in London. Who do you think provided that info?
The case being made is Manafort met Assange in March 2016 and in summer 2016 Wiki leaks released Russian hacked Podesta emails. This implies collusion. Also prior knowledge of the hacking content.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Gus,
I know you are going to complain about me, but why are you bringing Kashmir in this thread?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

some guys have taken this entire US politics thing way tooooo personally.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Karan M wrote:some guys have taken this entire US politics thing way tooooo personally.
Even off the Forum its splitting friends and families.
Folks are unliking/unfollow each other on FB/Twitter.
Friendly gatherings talk is limited to weather for even football is political!
And especially desi Americans are taking it too seriously especially after Nov 2018 mid term elections.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

yep.. figures, stakes are high. same in india. one thing though, the ones in India most likely to jump to abuse and disrespecting the others are those of the leftist ilk, they invariably kick off a sh!t storm.. have seen they have a severe case of "i stand on a high horse and am superior to y'all" syndrome going on. that kind of abuse is only hardening positions. not sure whether that is the same in the US. but judging from the bile the NYT etc put out, it seems that way.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

ramana wrote:
Karan M wrote:some guys have taken this entire US politics thing way tooooo personally.
Even off the Forum its splitting friends and families.
Folks are unliking/unfollow each other on FB/Twitter.
Friendly gatherings talk is limited to weather for even football is political!
And especially desi Americans are taking it too seriously especially after Nov 2018 mid term elections.
The leftist in desh are ready for a collective orgasm if MP and CG vote in the INC. Similar to the American donkeys before Nov. 6 this year.