Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US- Again

Post by Lalmohan »

i would suggest that the manthan is built around a solid core of a civilizational vision - for the US it is the capitalistic/liberal/'freedom' model, for China it is much more the 'middle kingdom is eternal' model
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Suraj, thank you for setting the record straight! Good to know we are ahead of schedule to catch up and take our place amongst the top two global economies. Of course, for the types of pressures we're talking about, mass perception (of India's prosperity among the American public) is even more important than the econometric data, and that reality will take a while to sink in even after it's actually crystallized.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Lalmullah,

As a contribution to your taxonomy of influences on the Republican Trump administration, here is a data-based typology from the Voter Study Group of the different categories of Trump voters:

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publica ... ve-summary

The largest group, Staunch Conservatives, was 31 percent of all Trump voters and held firmly conservative views on traditional issues that divide the two parties such as the role of government and social issues. These voters were pro-life on abortion, favored a smaller role and size of government, and were steadfast Republicans and conservatives. Additionally, they tended to be suspicious of immigration and held negative views of Muslims. In the primary, they split between Trump and Texas Senator Ted Cruz; Both outright evangelicals and traditional "values" conservatives fall into this group. The difference between these subgroups is that evangelicals are motivated almost entirely by Christian supremacism/expansionism, whereas traditional "values" conservatives hold the ideals of Christian supremacism dear while also being equally passionate about small government, social conservatism, gun rights, etc.

The second largest, Free Marketeers, comprised 25 percent of all Trump voters. While most Trump-voting groups held positive views of non-Muslim racial and ethnic minorities, this group held even more positive views of racial and ethnic minorities than other Trump voters and non-Trump voting Republicans and independents, and as positive a view as non-Trump voting Democrats. This group is also staunchly Republican and emphasizes tax cuts, small government, and support for free trade. In the primary, it was the only group of the four to oppose Trump, giving him only 34 percent of their votes before the Indiana primary. In the general, this was the group most likely to have an unfavorable opinion of Trump and report that they voted for Trump primarily to oppose Hillary Clinton (52 percent said this). These Trump voters share many of these views with Republicans who either voted for Clinton or cast a vote for a write-in or third-party candidate;

The third largest, American Preservationists, was most closely aligned with how “Trump supporters” have been described in many media accounts. These people, 20 percent of his general election support, were the most supportive of Trump in the primary, giving him nearly 90 percent of their votes if they voted in the primary. They were the least likely to be Republicans with nearly 13 percent saying they are Democrats, down from 28 percent in 2012. They were also the second most likely group to have voted for Barack Obama in 2012. They hold general liberal views on taxes and spending, and strongly support entitlements. They also are staunchly opposed to immigration and free trade, and hold less positive views than other Trump voting blocs of most ethnic minorities (although positive views outweighed negative ones among American Preservationists for black people, Hispanics, and Asians). They are strongly nationalistic and are the only one of the groups to say that their race (mostly white) was important to their conception of American nationality. Intriguingly, they also are the group most likely to receive their health insurance from the government even though they are not older than the other groups (i.e., they are more likely to be on Medicaid);

The fourth largest group, Anti-Elites, was 19 percent of Trump’s general election support. It held views similar to the previous group, the American Preservationists, but did not hold some of the views with the same degree of intensity. They also did not share the American Preservationists’ views on race and American identity. They were, however, also less Republican and more liberal on economic issues than either of the first two groups;

The smallest group, the Disengaged, was only 5 percent of Trump’s general election support. This group tended not to provide many clear answers about how its members felt on major issues, but Disengaged voters were suspicious of immigration
Trump is running on a strident anti-immigrant platform for the Midterms, rooted in opposition to both illegal and legal immigration (particularly from non-white countries). This is very similar to the proponents of the Johnson-Reed Act of 1924 (Second Interim Period), signed into law by Calvin Coolidge, which restricted immigration from all countries except some in Western and Northern Europe. Then as now, it was a reaction to a large volume of culturally and racially diverse immigrants who had been coming into America over the previous 35-40 years.

From the above typology, this message will appeal very strongly to American Preservationists (20% of Trump Electorate), moderately strongly to Staunch Conservatives (31%) and Disengaged (5%), and sporadically to the Anti-Elites (19%). It will probably not appeal to the Free-Marketeers (25% of those who voted for Trump in 2016) at all; however, some Free Marketeers may come out to vote for Congressional and Senate Republican candidates for reasons unconnected to Trump. Anti-immigration may be the best common platform Trump has available to him, and should secure Republicans the support of about 50-60% of the people who voted for him in 2016 (my estimate).
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

thanks Rudradev, this is good analysis.

however, I feel that the 'money' behind trump (i.e. the deep state republicans and not the kremlin) thought that they can manipulate the mango conservatives in order to get their man in and pass their agenda. they would have been happy with cruz or Rubio too, but they made the assessment at some stage that Hillary would beat them, and so switched to trump.

the parallels with 30's Germany continue to stagger me, although trump is no fuhrer, much more of a mouthpiece who reads the teleprompter and adlibs in between. the alt-right and radical conservatives (bannon/miller, etc.) managed to wrest control from the deep republicans and still enjoy the ear of the president. but they are losing out to the 'deep state' slowly but surely.

what is more civilisationally disturbing is that large swathes of the American public no longer care about morals/ethics/values in their leadership, especially since they show no desire to bring their leaders back to accountability as they have in the past. you could argue that this is a watershed in American civilisation - but will let wiser and more erudite forumites carry the baton on that

from the kremlin's perspective, lots of different things came together at the right time with the trump campaign; absolute genius and a big stroke of luck. the roulette ball landed on black 33
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-colu ... en-tighter
Donald Trump’s Grip on the Republican Party Just Got Even Tighter
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Hating Trump is a Booming Business | The Daily Show

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

87 yo woman collecting dandelions tasered and hauled off in cuffs
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/police- ... eststories

insane.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Lalmohan wrote:thanks Rudradev, this is good analysis.

however, I feel that the 'money' behind trump (i.e. the deep state republicans and not the kremlin) thought that they can manipulate the mango conservatives in order to get their man in and pass their agenda. they would have been happy with cruz or Rubio too, but they made the assessment at some stage that Hillary would beat them, and so switched to trump.

the parallels with 30's Germany continue to stagger me, although trump is no fuhrer, much more of a mouthpiece who reads the teleprompter and adlibs in between{don't agree. Like Reagan, he is underestimated in that respect}. the alt-right and radical conservatives (bannon/miller, etc.) managed to wrest control from the deep republicans and still enjoy the ear of the president. but they are losing out to the 'deep state' slowly but surely.{I think Bannon esp was just the mouth, not some Great Strategic Jeenius or Plato ul Sh1theadstan. Have not heard him make one sensible or deep thought, just fish-market hate-spewing. Any jackass can do that, which is why all the jackasses are ga-ga over him}

what is more civilisationally disturbing is that large swathes of the American public no longer care about morals/ethics/values in their leadership, especially since they show no desire to bring their leaders back to accountability as they have in the past. you could argue that this is a watershed in American civilisation - but will let wiser and more erudite forumites carry the baton on that. {E-ruddites can speak for themselves, but what u r seeing is a Mooning by the Real American. Those with sense and compassion are keeping their own counsel and checking out immigration requirements in Canada, I suppose}

from the kremlin's perspective, lots of different things came together at the right time with the trump campaign; absolute genius and a big stroke of luck. the roulette ball landed on black 33. {That I agree. It was All*h The Merciphool himself hu made the ball land there. It was damn close too and He left it pretty late.} :eek:
+100 Hmm! I had to quote that entire post. As Laurel said to Hardy:
NOW you're using MY brain!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I would agree with the following, putting on Murikhan goggles:
1. Immigration is totally out of control and sense. Needs to be fixed. Issue of "separation" is a lot more complex. US ain't going into Mexico to separate children from parents. Would u b happy if kids were jailed along with adult criminals in the same cells? They don't have anywhere near border guards to watch every detainee 24-hours. I think "separation" is far more civilized than the rape/sodomy/slavery/murder culture that faced these families on their long treks across central America. Are these really refugees? Look at those Sikh types for instance :(( about "torture" facing them in Poonjab. Would you want your child housed with one of those in the same cell for "processing"? OK any religious fans reading this, keep ur knickers on. {Note: Ask the PhD advisor of a brilliant desi grad, after 6 years of stellar university education in the USA who simply cannot find a job (legally) because the Catch-22 of H1/H2 lottery/GC backlog is so utterly insane that no employer who wants to stay out of jail dare touch his/her CV. Tell me the sob story of H1B visa abusers from desi bodyshops and see if s(he) can find the tears to sympathize.} The system is broken. Law-abiding, merit-based applicants are the ones getting shafted. This benefits no one except the Execs of desi body-shops.
2. Borders need to be non-porous. Period.
3. The GOAT must be fought in Terroristan, not on Murikhan soil, and no, don't wait for them to come on to Murikhan soil.
4. Tolerance of intolerance and The Intolerant needs to be called out and ended. {Hmm! think around that logical tail-eating snake. But I won't think, I'll just say it like it is, and yeah, if u think ah'm intolerant, y'all can go back where you sprung from.}
5. Present medical SNAFU/Ripoff cannot be improved by just Compassion while some are robbing the system from all sides. Being "tough" on the sick and poor is not the answer, but neither is robbing the nearly-as-poor-but-trying-to-hold-down-a-job ppl. This forces people into really nasty straits where they are forced to bite each other. Someone, anyone, PLEASE help straighten this out, even if they are flaming Nazis! This is a cry of desperation from Mainstreet Murica. Ignore it at ur peril, as HiC discovered.
Without that, no one has a future. Not that DT has solved the problem, but he avoided actually gutting Obamacare (gutting his own Party in the process), he cut a deal with the Enemy where needed to keep govt going, and is generally seen as being on the right path. Hopeful. The donkeys' "solutions" are all non-starters except towards disaster.
6. Ditto for blue collar jobs. The severity of this came home recently when the local ultra-"liberal" (meaning funded by unohu Other Community) desi rag came out with a blast against Trumpistan for the plight of H-4 kids (kids born outside US, legally inside US but never been outside since because their parents are H-1/2 and job-hopping, waiting for GreenCard. Now over 18, H-4s are out of status.) The reaction was swift and nasty - FROM DESIS. Not going to repeat here, but u can guess. If u think only WASP-beer-guzzlers are hurt by desi bodyshops, u r dead wrong.
7. Someone had to stand up and de-brief the Oiropeans who were getting a free ride pick-pocketing Americans while pointing at the Chinese and Indians. Ditto for the Japanese who were trying to imitate the Oiropeans, though much less dishonest.
8. NoKo / PRC antics were dragging America closer and closer to the glory dins of the Cuban mijjile crisis when ppl were busily digging fallout shelters in their backyards. Something had to give, and there was no real sentiment to go to all-out invasion and lose another 100,000 or 1,00,000 draftees.
9. Taxes, well.. everyone loves a tax cut. And this one really is meaningful for low/middle class, unlike the Reagan "Tax Simplification" which was a fraud on middle class.
So! From where I stand, this is one effective POTUS. Crazy, yes, foul-mouthed and motor-mouthed ("communicative" I mean), xenophobic, rude, but EFFECTIVE. And as far as good ol' Murikhans are conjerned, that's what they elected and pay him for. Not for Oiropeans or Chinese or DC "experts" and other talking heads on See Enn Enn to praise him.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

but he and his cronies are totally corrupt and more willing to fleece the people they supposedly represent
he is taking everyone for a ride and lining his pockets
the rest of it is the alt-deep-state manoeuvring
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The meaningfulness of the American tax cut for the low/middle class is preposterous said Hurree Jamset Ramsingh.
As did the CBO.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/27/senate- ... eport.html
And Republicans are not running on the tax cuts.

Anyway, all this is going into Umrikan politics not relevant to India, no?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Arun, Tell me about Omarosa. Whats is it all about? When I hear too much screaming it is hurting some one. What way?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I saw a nice film on amzn prime about a modern day
Branch of the kkk

The members are pretty much lower middle class blue collar whites

But titles are fancy like grand wizard, grand kludge, big dragon and so on. They gather in the woods to hear speeches and burn a big cross with flaming torches

Black gang in ferguson was asked about kkk warning them, one masked black warrior pulled a pistol from waistband of his loose jeans and dared the kkk to a straight up fight

Then they showed hacker group Anonymous video who stole a kkk membership list and posted online leading to death threats on kkk members

Difference with past era is black and hispanics have a gun and are willing to defend themselves

Its not just one side with guns dogs whips and police on their side anymore
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

In 1920s kkk was in peak and 1/7 of white males were in it
They showed footage of huge kkk mela on lawns near capitol
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

But the other side is that ppl have got more sophisticated in faux PCness. The sh1theadness is very much still there, except the external face is all oily grins and PC words. IOW, gora version of shiv's "Little Jignesh for whom Bijnej eej Bijnej".

Many desis get taken in by this. The ones who imagine that HiC gang was civilized, are prime examples. The worst are the wimmens, both gori and kali. Yes, racism is as bad if not worse with the kale log, who bring all the resentments of the "(gora) trash" along with the violent hate of the KKK combined into an Ultra Loser mentality. Look at the video of the aged Sikh gentleman getting assaulted. Says it all.

The thing that most desis don't understand about the USA is that racism etc was there all over the US. The difference was that in the north and west, ppl were mostly wealthy/well-off, so didn't want to bother with hating (different-looking) ppl. In the South they were mostly dirt-poor, despite the strutting and the swagger. Losers are far worse than winners when it comes to hate and violence.

Now the outlook is not positive, nearly all over the US. The lure of the American Dream is no longer realistic. Present generation is probably going to find it very hard to match their parents' lifestyle and net worth.

Go figure for yourself the consequences in mentality towards say, desis.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

ramana wrote:Arun, Tell me about Omarosa. Whats is it all about? When I hear too much screaming it is hurting some one. What way?
In the words of Eugene Robinson of the WaPo, I think it was, Omarosa is Trumpier than Trump. She has the same skills at manipulating the media and keeping herself in the news as Trump does. Omarosa seems to have made numerous recordings of White House personnel that have the potential to be embarrassing -- and it takes a lot to embarrass this White House. I'm not sure why the recordings that Omarosa made with the knowledge of the other parties don't leave her open to prosecution.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks. Maybe the recordings will reveal a lot?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Revealing a lot didn't help whatshernaam who blew the whistle on who was "blowing the whistle" in the Slick Willie Ovary Office.. (sorry) She went to jail. Recently got out I believe.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

ramana wrote:Thanks. Maybe the recordings will reveal a lot?
it will reveal lots of low level stuff, e.g. the run of the mill corruption of trump DIL offering her a bribe to keep her mouth shut, etc. otherwise I doubt that it will be of the level of "I saw and heard mike Flynn selling his grandmother to the reds"
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

not sure, she might have corroborating stuff reg many of the coverups and daily lies, for instance the adoption thing

then again...who knows. can't believe anybody..they are all jockeying for leverage.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

All US administrations lie. It is just this administration that is being highlighted by a biased press. Much the same parallel as the media pimps we see in India.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

US is even battering its good buddy to the north, Canada.

Trump is getting companies to uproot from Canada and move to the US.

330% tariffs were threatened against Bombardier until they moved the C-series airline manufacturing base from Canada to the US - losing Canada 100,000 high quality jobs in the blink of an eye.

Plus US is unilaterally changing the NAFTA rules on Canad and Mexico and forcing them to accept it.

And that's how they treat their allies who sent troops to die alongside them in Afghanistan.

Its every country for itself in this brave new world.

India better preserve its domestic market for its own companies because they sure as hell won't be getting anywhere in foreign markets which will increasingly be protectionist.
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

Reddit: Connnecting some dots
Must read, it connects dots of many behind the scene players.
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

ramana wrote:Arun, Tell me about Omarosa. Whats is it all about? When I hear too much screaming it is hurting some one. What way?
I think she is a plant into Trump administration.

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/stat ... 3129492480
Black support for Trump is 36%. Who is the loser?
Her unproven comment that Trump used N word must be to reverse the growth in black support for Trump.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

I think Putin is a deep state plant in Kremlin, just to besmirch Trump's legitimacy.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

was trump legitimacy released before or after trump identity and trump supremacy?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

one thing of note is bannon's line a few months back: 'fill the space with sh*t'
what this means is if you create a large volume of noise then the news cycle cannot dwell on any one issue and keeps hopping from one scandal to the next, so that the media get into a tizzy and mango people lose interest because its all too remote and far away and difficult
it is reverse messaging management - and serves to keep the base loyal
the endless tweeting is not entirely random
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Lalmohan wrote:one thing of note is bannon's line a few months back: 'fill the space with sh*t'
what this means is if you create a large volume of noise then the news cycle cannot dwell on any one issue and keeps hopping from one scandal to the next, so that the media get into a tizzy and mango people lose interest because its all too remote and far away and difficult
whether you like Trump or not, this is a great strategy.

Our media uses this strategy to start many fires like this to defame Govt. they don't like:

1. one day claim they spent 35 crore for a yoga meet. As soon as lie is called out, move on
2. Next day start a controversy on Aadhar number in Android phone. As soon as facts come out, move to some thing else like South India secession or Hindi imposition.

Just keep spreading lies again and again to switch topics, ignore responses and let Govt. be in a tizzy. It is working in some way because it helps in rallying anti-Govt people.

Funny thing is our media polluted enough phoren press that uses similar strategy against India.

What is the counter strategy to reduce this noise?

If this is not appropriate here, please delete.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the media is not monolithic, especially these days
and whilst there are plenty of problems with media, just as there are with politicians, you still need checks and balances
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Lalmohan wrote:the media is not monolithic, especially these days
and whilst there are plenty of problems with media, just as there are with politicians, you still need checks and balances
The media is not a form of check and balance when it has vested interests.

The Indian system is one of a parliamentary republic where MPs and the courts are valid checks to the government in power. The US presidential system is divided into 3 branches, but congress is really the 1st among equals. The press in the US has historically been wrong on at key times. One of those times is now.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

With all the trade tariffs talk among others, how is the US economy, especially the stock markets continuing to set new records recently? Are traders convinced that these tariffs are just talk & no action or they that bullish about US economy that it can pretty much continue to forge ahead by itself? I hear the job market is extremely hot with more jobs available than talent...not sure about the quality of jobs & wages...but many folks for whom visa issues are not a concern, the sentiments are extremely optimistic.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Mort Walker wrote:One of those times is now.
that sir is an opinion rather than a fact
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Zynda wrote:With all the trade tariffs talk among others, how is the US economy, especially the stock markets continuing to set new records recently? Are traders convinced that these tariffs are just talk & no action or they that bullish about US economy that it can pretty much continue to forge ahead by itself? I hear the job market is extremely hot with more jobs available than talent...not sure about the quality of jobs & wages...but many folks for whom visa issues are not a concern, the sentiments are extremely optimistic.

Some expert was saying these tariffs are in a few $B while the over all economy is in $xxT for both US and China. Rest are small players.

My take is all this will revert once elections are over.

DT invoked the Tariff skirmish (Grenada anyone) to show his base he is delivering their core interests.
He did say he wants bi-lateral trade treaties with Mexico and Canada to replace NAFTA.
And its well on its way.
Essentially doing in 2 years what would be two terms.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Lalmohan wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:One of those times is now.
that sir is an opinion rather than a fact

Read the whole para. Its a conclusion.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Now what? Michael Cohen implicated him. Is he done?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

vijayk wrote:
Lalmohan wrote:one thing of note is bannon's line a few months back: 'fill the space with sh*t'
whether you like Trump or not, this is a great strategy.

Our media uses this strategy to start many fires like this to defame Govt. they don't like:

1. one day claim they spent 35 crore for a yoga meet. As soon as lie is called out, move on
2. Next day start a controversy on Aadhar number in Android phone. As soon as facts come out, move to some thing else like South India secession or Hindi imposition.

Just keep spreading lies again and again to switch topics, ignore responses and let Govt. be in a tizzy. It is working in some way because it helps in rallying anti-Govt people.

Funny thing is our media polluted enough phoren press that uses similar strategy against India.

What is the counter strategy to reduce this noise?

If this is not appropriate here, please delete.
Enforce and enact laws to prevent and spread of false information ., compulsory heavy fines to the publishing company/media and jail terms for those involved.

this is well within the purview of a democracy and no one can decry press freedom ., it doesnt mean spreading lies anyway
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

1. Govt. does not have moral authority
2. courts thoroughly compromised
3. There is an an international collaboration of 3rd rated media, and all western institutions/Amnesty/USIRC etc. to accuse/abuse Govt. like India to protect their sepoys

Check this. Not a single westerm media cares about this because it is their allie
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/saud ... -426201683
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

kit wrote:
Enforce and enact laws to prevent and spread of false information ., compulsory heavy fines to the publishing company/media and jail terms for those involved.

this is well within the purview of a democracy and no one can decry press freedom ., it doesnt mean spreading lies anyway
The time and effort to do this is simply not worth it. News and information is no longer "curated" as in the past by the so-called impartial media, rather they are merely the gatekeepers of information and only let out their point of view. There is global communication and the exchange of ideas. The only thing governments can do is educate its population.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

A_Gupta wrote:
In the words of Eugene Robinson of the WaPo, I think it was, Omarosa is Trumpier than Trump. She has the same skills at manipulating the media and keeping herself in the news as Trump does. Omarosa seems to have made numerous recordings of White House personnel that have the potential to be embarrassing -- and it takes a lot to embarrass this White House. I'm not sure why the recordings that Omarosa made with the knowledge of the other parties don't leave her open to prosecution.
You mean 'made with OUT the knowledge of other parties"?
Washington DC is single party consent state which means only one party needs to give consent to recording. In this case it is Omerosa has given the consent. Unless she recorded confidential matters (for which she may be prosecuted under some secrecy act) she is safe from prosecution.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

a word on markets

1. stock markets are going up - simply because tax cuts mean more cash retained by corporates, therefore the models will indicate higher value and throw out a "buy" decision
2. stock markets are going down - worries about a massive trade war and impact on consumers of tariffs means that models indicate lower cash held and therefore lower values and therefore a "sell" decision
3. stock markets are going back up again - optimism that US and China will step back from a full trade war and therefore models indicate that the cash out will not be as bad therefore a "buy" decision

in the meantime, all this volatility means that there is a lot more buy and sell going on, which means that the bankers are starting to make big fees again - so wall street sentiment is getting stronger thanks to the vision of larger bonuses

however, the medium and long term treasury (bond) yields have been rising - which means that the willingness of people to buy American government debt is falling. this indicates that over the medium term investors are worried about inflation and rate rises which could trigger another economic collapse or atleast a major market readjustment (downwards). American government debt (i.e. treasury bonds) are probably the most important bedrock of global financial markets, any nervousness here generally makes everyone else feel queasy.

the implications for India economically are of difficult times ahead, and that coupled with further Iranian sanctions imposed by the US could constrain Indian economic growth significantly. this is reflected in the price of the Rupee.