Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by chetak »

Pratyush wrote:Williams, I am not so sure. This is a country where the 1618 project from NYT has received a Pulitzer. Dozens of people got Pulitzer for reporting on Trump and Russia collusion. The grassroots members of the democratic party leading communist insurrection against their own leaders in cities and states.

Don't dismiss it.

Pratyush ji,

You called it right.

This plot goes much deeper than what is visible on the surface and we are missing the woods for the trees.

It used the CAA and cashmere art 370 as launch points, seamlessly segued into shaheenbagh and jinnah wali azadi, supported financially by the jehadis from the gelf and the khalistanis and again seamlessly segued into the meaningless "farmer's agitation" which has now been outed as being majorily supported by the congis controlled by the eyetalian mafia. The financial trails have been conclusively traced back to foreign interests inimical to India

the dismantling global Hindutva conference has locked into this ongoing subterfuge and obvious conspiracy trail and it would be very dangerous for the Hindus to ignore or side track all these agitprop enterprises because of their well practiced intellectual disjointedness

So many diverse and geographically separated adversarial elements cannot be controlled, organized, orchestrated, and controlled by roadside thugs and jehadi housewives as it is being made out to be.

we will ignore this threat at our peril. The efforts this time are very different and having tasted blood by successfully removing trump, the next target is India and Modi.

It is not difficult to see the systematic efforts at the dismantling of countries and governments that are not in sync with the commies, big data and big tech like amazon and google. Everyone knows that bye-den and his family are corrupt but the liberals still insist on portraying him as the second coming

the cheeni are running a massive disinformation campaign in India, against India and using the Indian media for their propaganda. We do not seem capable of stopping even such acts of information warfare because we have some skewed concepts of democracy and FOE.

The marxist padres are inciting tribals and adivasis and we do nothing except beg and plead to other padres to cease and desist. why not simply ban all religious activities in such sensitive zones.

there is a common thread which also includes the black lives matter movement and the woke garbage of the critical race theory. All this occurring in a sequence of sorts and spreading to countries like India is not coincidental.

There are none so blind as those who will not see and most of the blind are right here in India.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

I dont know who posted about USA going thru periods of turbulence or "manthan"?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

With this law, the US has lost any remaining credibility to lecture other nations on human rights. The provisions are appalling and shocking to say the least.

UN experts condemn Texas abortion law as sex discrimination ‘at its worst’

United Nations human rights monitors have strongly condemned the state of Texas for its new anti-abortion law, which they say violates international law by denying women control over their own bodies and endangering their lives.

In damning remarks to the Guardian, Melissa Upreti, the chair of the UN’s working group on discrimination against women and girls, criticized the new Texas law, SB 8, as “structural sex and gender-based discrimination at its worst”.

She warned that the legislation, which bans abortions at about six weeks, could force abortion providers underground and drive women to seek unsafe procedures that could prove fatal.

“This new law will make abortion unsafe and deadly, and create a whole new set of risks for women and girls. It is profoundly discriminatory and violates a number of rights guaranteed under international law,” the human rights lawyer from Nepal said.

Upreti, one of five independent experts charged by the UN human rights council in Geneva to push for elimination of discrimination against women and girls around the world, was also sharply critical of the US supreme court.

Last week the court’s rightwing majority decided by a five to four vote to allow the Texas law to go ahead, despite the provision’s blatant disregard of the court’s own 1973 ruling legalizing abortion in the US, Roe v Wade.

“The law and the way it came about – through the refusal of the US supreme court to block it based on existing legal precedent – has not only taken Texas backward, but in the eyes of the international community, it has taken the entire country backward,” Upreti said.

‘Roe v Wade is a husk’: anguish and anger in Texas after abortion ruling
Reem Alsalem, the UN’s special rapporteur on violence against women, advising and reporting to the Human Rights Council and its member states on the issue, was also scathing of the supreme court’s decision to allow the Texas law to stand. She accused the five rightwing justices who formed the majority – and who include all three of Donald Trump’s appointees – of exposing women to potential violence.

“Through this decision the supreme court of the United States has chosen to trample on the protection of women’s reproductive rights, thereby exposing them and abortion service providers to more violence,” Alsalem told the Guardian.

Women of color, those with low incomes and from other vulnerable groups would bear the brunt of the crackdown, she pointed out.

Alsalem singled out as especially egregious the element of the Texas law that makes abortions all but impossible even for women who become pregnant because of rape and incest. “That exacerbates their trauma as well as mental and physical suffering.”

Chief justice John Roberts joined the three justices on the liberal wing of the supreme court in dissenting against the majority’s refusal to block the Texas law, with all four issuing strong statements.

Under SB 8, some 7 million Texan women are estimated to be at risk of losing access to legal abortions. Health clinics offering the service have already begun to turn patients away.

SB 8 bans all abortions after initial cardiac activity can be detected in the fetus, usually at around six weeks of pregnancy. Legislation to ban abortion so early are often evocatively but misleadingly called heartbeat bills, even though at that stage the heart has not yet formed.

The cut-off is so early that many women would not be aware that they are even pregnant, and up to 90% of all terminations in the state are expected to blocked.

Roe v Wade led the way to legal abortion up to the stage where a fetus can survive outside the womb, typically around 24 weeks into the pregnancy.

Another contentious aspect of the new Texas law is that it transfers responsibility for enforcing the new rules from state officials to ordinary citizens who are encouraged to sue anyone who “aids” or “abets” an abortion, with bounties of $10,000 and their legal fees paid if the lawsuit succeeds. So doctors, hospitals, even a Uber driver can be denounced by anyone for abetment and collect a bounty :eek: :shock:

Under international law, governments are allowed to regulate voluntary terminations of pregnancy. But they are not allowed to do so in ways that jeopardize the lives or women, subject them to physical or mental pain or suffering, discriminate against them or arbitrarily interfere with their privacy.

Human rights bodies have long acknowledged that denying women access to abortion by criminalizing the practice or by erecting other hurdles can in certain circumstances amount to cruel, degrading and inhumane treatment. Abortion bans have even been likened by international bodies to a form of torture.

In 2015 the UN working group on discrimination against women conducted an official visit to the US to probe the position and treatment of women in American society.

In their final report, the human rights experts expressed regret that American women have “seen their rights to sexual and reproductive health significantly eroded… Ever-increasing barriers are being created to prevent their access to abortion procedures.”

Upreti told the Guardian that since that visit, the situation in the US had deteriorated further.

“We notified the US administration that the imposition of new barriers to access to abortion services constitutes discrimination under international law, yet the retrogression has continued,” she said.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Portlandia vs. Texas

Significant inter-state trade barriers are being adopted. The USA does not have a GST, and there is now talk of increasing inter-state barriers in tit-for-tat moves.

Dated article from 1987 showing how this is not a new development.

Interstate trade barriers
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

chetak wrote:
Pratyush wrote:Williams, I am not so sure. This is a country where the 1618 project from NYT has received a Pulitzer. Dozens of people got Pulitzer for reporting on Trump and Russia collusion. The grassroots members of the democratic party leading communist insurrection against their own leaders in cities and states.

Don't dismiss it.

Pratyush ji,

You called it right.

This plot goes much deeper than what is visible on the surface and we are missing the woods for the trees.

It used the CAA and cashmere art 370 as launch points, seamlessly segued into shaheenbagh and jinnah wali azadi, supported financially by the jehadis from the gelf and the khalistanis and again seamlessly segued into the meaningless "farmer's agitation" which has now been outed as being majorily supported by the congis controlled by the eyetalian mafia. The financial trails have been conclusively traced back to foreign interests inimical to India

the dismantling global Hindutva conference has locked into this ongoing subterfuge and obvious conspiracy trail and it would be very dangerous for the Hindus to ignore or side track all these agitprop enterprises because of their well practiced intellectual disjointedness

So many diverse and geographically separated adversarial elements cannot be controlled, organized, orchestrated, and controlled by roadside thugs and jehadi housewives as it is being made out to be.

we will ignore this threat at our peril. The efforts this time are very different and having tasted blood by successfully removing trump, the next target is India and Modi.

It is not difficult to see the systematic efforts at the dismantling of countries and governments that are not in sync with the commies, big data and big tech like amazon and google. Everyone knows that bye-den and his family are corrupt but the liberals still insist on portraying him as the second coming

the cheeni are running a massive disinformation campaign in India, against India and using the Indian media for their propaganda. We do not seem capable of stopping even such acts of information warfare because we have some skewed concepts of democracy and FOE.

The marxist padres are inciting tribals and adivasis and we do nothing except beg and plead to other padres to cease and desist. why not simply ban all religious activities in such sensitive zones.

there is a common thread which also includes the black lives matter movement and the woke garbage of the critical race theory. All this occurring in a sequence of sorts and spreading to countries like India is not coincidental.

There are none so blind as those who will not see and most of the blind are right here in India.
Govt. of India should identify colleges involved and blacklist them. No bank loans for students going to these colleges for one year for spreading communal hatred
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/AlexeiArora/status/ ... 68738?s=20 ---->

USA was so serious about Jihadism after 9/11 that they:

1) Overthrew Saddam (who was against Islamism)
2) Overthrew Gaddafi & led to rise of ISIS in Libya
3) Armed al-Qaeda rebels in Syria to overthrow Assad
4) Armed "non-NATO ally" Pakistan knowing that it aided terrorism
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

vera_k wrote:Portlandia vs. Texas

Significant inter-state trade barriers are being adopted. The USA does not have a GST, and there is now talk of increasing inter-state barriers in tit-for-tat moves.

Dated article from 1987 showing how this is not a new development.

Interstate trade barriers
Such stupid pronouncements are a violation of the Commerce Clause of the constitution. They won’t stand in court if challenged.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Toe the line or be torpedoed......

does it remind anyone of commie/naxal/congi/colonial jnu, jamia, jhadavpur, amu and crap like ashoka

“Students at Portland State are not being taught to think. Rather, they are being trained to mimic the moral certainty of ideologues.”

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/my-uni ... -ideas-for

My University Sacrificed Ideas for Ideology. So Today I Quit.

The more I spoke out against the illiberalism that has swallowed Portland State University, the more retaliation I faced.

Peter Boghossian
Sep 8

Peter Boghossian has taught philosophy at Portland State University for the past decade. In the letter below, sent this morning to the university’s provost, he explains why he is resigning.

Dear Provost Susan Jeffords,

​​I’m writing to you today to resign as assistant professor of philosophy at Portland State University.

Over the last decade, it has been my privilege to teach at the university. My specialties are critical thinking, ethics and the Socratic method, and I teach classes like Science and Pseudoscience and The Philosophy of Education. But in addition to exploring classic philosophers and traditional texts, I’ve invited a wide range of guest lecturers to address my classes, from Flat-Earthers to Christian apologists to global climate skeptics to Occupy Wall Street advocates. I’m proud of my work.

I invited those speakers not because I agreed with their worldviews, but primarily because I didn’t. From those messy and difficult conversations, I’ve seen the best of what our students can achieve: questioning beliefs while respecting believers; staying even-tempered in challenging circumstances; and even changing their minds.

I never once believed — nor do I now — that the purpose of instruction was to lead my students to a particular conclusion. Rather, I sought to create the conditions for rigorous thought; to help them gain the tools to hunt and furrow for their own conclusions. This is why I became a teacher and why I love teaching.

But brick by brick, the university has made this kind of intellectual exploration impossible. It has transformed a bastion of free inquiry into a Social Justice factory whose only inputs were race, gender, and victimhood and whose only outputs were grievance and division.

Students at Portland State are not being taught to think. Rather, they are being trained to mimic the moral certainty of ideologues. Faculty and administrators have abdicated the university’s truth-seeking mission and instead drive intolerance of divergent beliefs and opinions. This has created a culture of offense where students are now afraid to speak openly and honestly.

I noticed signs of the illiberalism that has now fully swallowed the academy quite early during my time at Portland State. I witnessed students refusing to engage with different points of view. Questions from faculty at diversity trainings that challenged approved narratives were instantly dismissed. Those who asked for evidence to justify new institutional policies were accused of microaggressions. And professors were accused of bigotry for assigning canonical texts written by philosophers who happened to have been European and male.

At first, I didn’t realize how systemic this was and I believed I could question this new culture. So I began asking questions. What is the evidence that trigger warnings and safe spaces contribute to student learning? Why should racial consciousness be the lens through which we view our role as educators? How did we decide that “cultural appropriation” is immoral?

Unlike my colleagues, I asked these questions out loud and in public.

I decided to study the new values that were engulfing Portland State and so many other educational institutions — values that sound wonderful, like diversity, equity, and inclusion, but might actually be just the opposite. The more I read the primary source material produced by critical theorists, the more I suspected that their conclusions reflected the postulates of an ideology, not insights based on evidence.

I began networking with student groups who had similar concerns and brought in speakers to explore these subjects from a critical perspective. And it became increasingly clear to me that the incidents of illiberalism I had witnessed over the years were not just isolated events, but part of an institution-wide problem.

The more I spoke out about these issues, the more retaliation I faced.

Early in the 2016-17 academic year, a former student complained about me and the university initiated a Title IX investigation. (Title IX investigations are a part of federal law designed to protect “people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance.”) My accuser, a white male, made a slew of baseless accusations against me, which university confidentiality rules, unfortunately, prohibit me from discussing further. What I can share is that students of mine who were interviewed during the process told me the Title IX investigator asked them if they knew anything about me beating my wife and children. This horrifying accusation soon became a widespread rumor.

With Title IX investigations there is no due process, so I didn’t have access to the particular accusations, the ability to confront my accuser, and I had no opportunity to defend myself. Finally, the results of the investigation were revealed in December 2017. Here are the last two sentences of the report: “Global Diversity & Inclusion finds there is insufficient evidence that Boghossian violated PSU’s Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment policy. GDI recommends Boghossian receive coaching.”

Not only was there no apology for the false accusations, but the investigator also told me that in the future I was not allowed to render my opinion about “protected classes” or teach in such a way that my opinion about protected classes could be known — a bizarre conclusion to absurd charges. Universities can enforce ideological conformity just through the threat of these investigations.

I eventually became convinced that corrupted bodies of scholarship were responsible for justifying radical departures from the traditional role of liberal arts schools and basic civility on campus. There was an urgent need to demonstrate that morally fashionable papers — no matter how absurd — could be published. I believed then that if I exposed the theoretical flaws of this body of literature, I could help the university community avoid building edifices on such shaky ground.

So, in 2017, I co-published an intentionally garbled peer-reviewed paper that took aim at the new orthodoxy. Its title: “The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct.” This example of pseudo-scholarship, which was published in Cogent Social Sciences, argued that penises were products of the human mind and responsible for climate change. Immediately thereafter, I revealed the article as a hoax designed to shed light on the flaws of the peer-review and academic publishing systems.

Shortly thereafter, swastikas in the bathroom with my name under them began appearing in two bathrooms near the philosophy department. They also occasionally showed up on my office door, in one instance accompanied by bags of feces. Our university remained silent. When it acted, it was against me, not the perpetrators.

I continued to believe, perhaps naively, that if I exposed the flawed thinking on which Portland State’s new values were based, I could shake the university from its madness. In 2018 I co-published a series of absurd or morally repugnant peer-reviewed articles in journals that focused on issues of race and gender. In one of them we argued that there was an epidemic of dog rape at dog parks and proposed that we leash men the way we leash dogs. Our purpose was to show that certain kinds of “scholarship” are based not on finding truth but on advancing social grievances. This worldview is not scientific, and it is not rigorous.

Administrators and faculty were so angered by the papers that they published an anonymous piece in the student paper and Portland State filed formal charges against me. Their accusation? “Research misconduct” based on the absurd premise that the journal editors who accepted our intentionally deranged articles were “human subjects.” I was found guilty of not receiving approval to experiment on human subjects.

Meanwhile, ideological intolerance continued to grow at Portland State. In March 2018, a tenured professor disrupted a public discussion I was holding with author Christina Hoff Sommers and evolutionary biologists Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying. In June 2018, someone triggered the fire alarm during my conversation with popular cultural critic Carl Benjamin. In October 2018, an activist pulled out the speaker wires to interrupt a panel with former Google engineer James Damore. The university did nothing to stop or address this behavior. No one was punished or disciplined.

For me, the years that followed were marked by continued harassment. I’d find flyers around campus of me with a Pinocchio nose. I was spit on and threatened by passersby while walking to class. I was informed by students that my colleagues were telling them to avoid my classes. And, of course, I was subjected to more investigation.

I wish I could say that what I am describing hasn’t taken a personal toll. But it has taken exactly the toll it was intended to: an increasingly intolerable working life and without the protection of tenure.

This isn’t about me. This is about the kind of institutions we want and the values we choose. Every idea that has advanced human freedom has always, and without fail, been initially condemned. As individuals, we often seem incapable of remembering this lesson, but that is exactly what our institutions are for: to remind us that the freedom to question is our fundamental right. Educational institutions should remind us that that right is also our duty.

Portland State University has failed in fulfilling this duty. In doing so it has failed not only its students but the public that supports it. While I am grateful for the opportunity to have taught at Portland State for over a decade, it has become clear to me that this institution is no place for people who intend to think freely and explore ideas.

This is not the outcome I wanted. But I feel morally obligated to make this choice. For ten years, I have taught my students the importance of living by your principles. One of mine is to defend our system of liberal education from those who seek to destroy it. Who would I be if I didn’t?

Sincerely,

Peter Boghossian
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Chetak,

The university will be happy to get rid of such people.

This virus has afflicted pretty much everything. From the academia to the military the corporate world.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

This brainless hate fuelled destructive culture was in full display at the DGH conference. Indian academicia aping the west is diligently trodding behind towards the same precipice.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/143 ... 11234?s=20 ---> Why? Because they might find more than a few? :lol:

Stanford professors urge U.S. to end program looking for Chinese spies in academia
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/stanfo ... 021-09-13/
13 Sept 2021
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

'F*** Joe Biden' Chants Erupt Across College Football Games for Second Weekend

Wonder what this portends. Colleges are not known to be Republican strongholds.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Cyrano wrote:This brainless hate fuelled destructive culture was in full display at the DGH conference. Indian academicia aping the west is diligently trodding behind towards the same precipice.
Received a lot of whatsapp screen shots showing 15 or 25 users in the despicable hate filled conference. Did anyone who attended notice it?
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Rarely do I ever agree with anything US big tech says or does. However, Mark Zuckerberg's Astroturf promoted immigration bill promises to help millions of legal Indian immigrants and future immigrants a quicker way of gaining LPR instead of being stuck in decades long vortex of visa renewals waiting for their greencards.

Bill link - https://judiciary.house.gov/uploadedfil ... _print.pdf

The bill proposes the following for legal immigrants "The new pipeline is created in Section 60003 on page 12 of the draft bill, which says, “The secretary of State shall exempt an alien (and the spouse and children of each alien) from the numerical limitations described in sections 201, 202, and 203.”

Section 201 sets annual limits of 226,000 green cards for “family-sponsored preference” and the “employer-based” green cards that companies can offer to cooperative foreign workers.

One curious addition is it also allows students to immediately enter the LPR pipeline instead of going through the usual L1/H1B-wait x years-apply for LPR cycle. This may significantly reduce the number of years in waiting to receive the final residency approval.

It cleared the judiciary committee with ease, needs to be seen how easily it'll clear the next steps.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Ambar wrote:Rarely do I ever agree with anything US big tech says or does. However, Mark Zuckerberg's Astroturf promoted immigration bill promises to help millions of legal Indian immigrants and future immigrants a quicker way of gaining LPR instead of being stuck in decades long vortex of visa renewals waiting for their greencards.

Bill link - https://judiciary.house.gov/uploadedfil ... _print.pdf

The bill proposes the following for legal immigrants "The new pipeline is created in Section 60003 on page 12 of the draft bill, which says, “The secretary of State shall exempt an alien (and the spouse and children of each alien) from the numerical limitations described in sections 201, 202, and 203.”

Section 201 sets annual limits of 226,000 green cards for “family-sponsored preference” and the “employer-based” green cards that companies can offer to cooperative foreign workers.

One curious addition is it also allows students to immediately enter the LPR pipeline instead of going through the usual L1/H1B-wait x years-apply for LPR cycle. This may significantly reduce the number of years in waiting to receive the final residency approval.

It cleared the judiciary committee with ease, needs to be seen how easily it'll clear the next steps.
Saar, such bills have been passed but then they usually fail either in Senate, or House. Even if it passes the Senate, the House will come with its own version and that might be at loggerheads with Senate. I remember 2007 fiasco.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Meanwhile farmer situation in US is not too different...they are quite debt ridden.
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/bought ... nt-payment
.The poultry companies agreed to the settlements without admitting any wrongdoing while the lawsuit remains pending against several other industry giants, including Pilgrim’s Pride, Koch Foods and Sanderson Farms. The lawsuit, filed by Alabama farmers in Oklahoma federal court, alleges that the contract grower system the meat companies created pushed the farmers deep into debt to build and maintain chicken barns that met company standards.

They also said the companies colluded to fix farmer compensation at low levels to boost corporate profits, making it difficult for the farmers to survive financially. Generally, chicken producers enter long-term contracts with meat companies that farmers say lock them into deals that fix their compensation at unprofitably low levels.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

America's top general "hid nukes" from Donald Trump

Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Drone footage shows thousands of migrants under bridge in Del Rio, Texas as local facilities overwhelmed

NYT, WaPo, NBC, ABC or CBS are not reporting this ...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/drone- ... ge-del-rio
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

There are some very nasty tax proposals coming from the Democratic party and the current administration that will significantly impact Indian-Americans as most of them are middle class and up. One of them being every US bank reporting a transaction of $600 or more to the IRS through an automated system for tax audit purposes. If anyone has ever been audited by the IRS, it usually involves a letter stating you owe a certain amount by a certain date. It's up to you to prove otherwise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/yellen-irs ... 1631727020
In letters to lawmakers, the administration officials again asked Congress to require banks to report annual inflows and outflows from bank accounts with at least $600 or at least $600 worth of transactions, a proposal aimed at letting the IRS target its audits more effectively. It would generate about $460 billion over a decade to cover the costs of Democrats’ planned expansion of the social safety net and climate-change policies, according to the administration.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

The democrats always go after the small fries for tax extortion. Wasn't it under Obama that FBAR was made mandatory ? Indian govt. in its infinite wisdom agreed to share the details with the IRS. Even today there are many NRIs, including hundreds of thousands who are on non-immigrant visas, who are not aware of the FBAR filing requirements.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

IIRC, if FBAR wasn't agreed to, then it was implied that there may be potential financial sanctions. With the exception of China Japan,and Russia, I think all other major economies agreed to FBAR. The US probably has some other agreement in place with Japan.

NRIs who have property in India, upon sale may be nailed by the IRS if the sale proceeds goes into SBI.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Not just SBI, all banks PSU and Pvt Banks in India report to IRS on NRO/NRE accounts held by US persons (including non-immigrants). I am fairly certain that a lot of NRIs in US be it citizens, LPRs or those on visas are either delinquent on FBAR or are oblivious to FBAR filing requirements. The thing with FBAR is even if any one of your foreign account crosses $10k in a year, you are supposed to report all accounts irrespective of whether they have sufficient balance or are dormant. I can perhaps understand why India would want to share details of accounts held by US citizens but I don't understand why we agreed to share account details of Indian citizens.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The way I understood it, only SBI collected SS numbers if you used their services in the US.

Does the IRS have access to PAN numbers?
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

All major Indian banks comply to FATCA regulations. For a brief period in 2015-16 if you tried accessing your online Indian bank account from the US the site would throw an alert saying they report to IRS as a part of FATCA . With GoI making PAN linking to Aadhar mandatory, one can only speculate what details Indian banks are sharing with the IRS.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Mort Walker wrote:The way I understood it, only SBI collected SS numbers if you used their services in the US.

Does the IRS have access to PAN numbers?

Not sure how it works, but it goes way beyond SBI. I know a guy who got rolled over by a private MNC bank operating in India. The bank reported his Indian account to the IRS because it held the proceeds from the sale of his late mother's flat for a few weeks (the proceeds later were reinvested and/or redistributed among other family members, with a thorough and legitimate paper trail to substantiate everything). Even so, IRS stuck him with a $600k penalty that he is still fighting 5 years later (it's guilty unless proven innocent, with the IRS).

The state apparatus of the USA has equipped itself with the nominally-legal means to financially hamstring and destroy any Hindu American, any time. Not so different from the mechanisms that renaissance European countries once created (e.g. "usury laws") to dispossess & destroy uppity Jewish financiers at will.

Take note of this. NYT, WaPo, NPR, CNN & US Academic assaults on your Hindu identity are _just_the_beginning_.

The ultimate goal for a certain power centre in GOTUS is to stop you from sending money back to India, or controlling wealth in India, so that your ability to support anti-BIF social & political forces in India is completely crippled.

The Disgusting Global Hinduphobia conference was targeted to shame & intimidate any and all Hindu Americans into explicitly disavowing their Hindu identity as regressive, uncivilized, unjust, and incompatible with American values. It was an assault on the psychological front.

For Hindu Americans who stand tall in defiance of that, the next assault will be on the financial front. The machinery is already in place.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Not sure how it works, but it goes way beyond SBI. I know a guy who got rolled over by a private MNC bank operating in India. The bank reported his Indian account to the IRS because it held the proceeds from the sale of his late mother's flat for a few weeks (the proceeds later were reinvested and/or redistributed among other family members, with a thorough and legitimate paper trail to substantiate everything). Even so, IRS stuck him with a $600k penalty that he is still fighting 5 years later (it's guilty unless proven innocent, with the IRS).
How does that happen? The fellow probably paid some ungodly taxes on the property in India, and is now being hit by the IRS? Sounds like double taxation.

The current rules and laws being proposed are to allow the US treasury to gain hundreds of billions from small cash business owners. These people aren't rich by any means, but have been able to save where they can help their community or Hindu temple societies.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

If you have already paid tax abroad then you get foreign tax credit, its a bit of a pain to do the paperwork by self without a CPA when you have foreign income, foreign taxes involved . I don't think IRS is out to get hindus, its just that they have realized a large number of well to do US citizens are not declaring their wealth stashed abroad and hence the arm twisting of foreign governments including the secretive swiss into disclosing the account details. Unfortunately while the feds are casting their nets wide in hopes of catching big fish, even small fish get trapped in the same net. In 2012-13, couple of Indian origin guys who were running a IT consulting shop in N. VA went to prison for tax evasion for not declaring their foreign accounts.

Ofcourse, making non-US citizens disclose their foreign accounts is bizarre really. Why should a guy on H1b who is in US temporarily for a 1 yr project be forced to disclose his domestic Indian accounts just because for that year he is treated as a "US Person" for tax purposes ? Makes no sense. In this age of computers and unique IDs no one is safe from the big government.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The IRS is out to get all small business owners and anyone who has an income stream > $40K/year. What is happening is that there are individuals in the US government who are aligned with BIF and out to get Hindus. These elements are across political party lines. Either party in the US will setup the regulatory and legal infrastructure, then the next will actually implement it. The only advantage is that one party will limit the ability of the IRS to setup the legal infrastructure when it is to their advantage.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Bidenwa has promised relentless duplicity err diplomacy as his solution to solve all the world's problems at the UNGA. Yay !!!
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

The hard on the World will get from Biden's seminal UNGA address will surely match his own.

Pass that box of tissues please :rotfl:
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

In a day full of surprising contradicting mixed-messages democrats blocked bill to designate the Taliban a Foreign Terrorist Organization. This came only hours after Democrats decided to block replenishment of Israel's Iron Dome giving Hamas and Hezbollah something to cheer about. It is not without a reason why India in the recent weeks after the collapse of Afghanistan is trying to hedge its bets by working with Russia and Iran.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

This is not mixed messaging. In fact it is quite straightforward.

The democratic party of America has decided to totally go against the interests of US.

Their actions post the swearing in of Trump till date are consistent with this.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Not just SBI, all banks PSU and Pvt Banks in India report to IRS on NRO/NRE accounts held by US persons (including non-immigrants). I am fairly certain that a lot of NRIs in US be it citizens, LPRs or those on visas are either delinquent on FBAR or are oblivious to FBAR filing requirements. The thing with FBAR is even if any one of your foreign account crosses $10k in a year, you are supposed to report all accounts irrespective of whether they have sufficient balance or are dormant.
One of the reasons for leaving US.....Aa ab laut chalein
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1 ... 3638474752
NOW - Tears on the House floor: AOC appears to be crying as the House passed a $1 billion funding for Israel's Iron Dome. She voted no, then switched her vote to present last minute.
yahoodis must've used a pretty long bamboo to cause this :rotfl:
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

AOC is a typical leftist, going to Hollywood parties, having millions of Dollars and crying about the poor. It is like Gandhi ji relatives all of them had a luxurious lifestyle.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

This vote was quite interesting to watch. The entire squad with all its noisiness could not muster 10 votes in favour their position.

With one of the members not even having courage of her own conviction to stand by her vote. When she was called to account.

Makes me wonder why are they so prominent in US political circles?
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

m_saini wrote:https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1 ... 3638474752
NOW - Tears on the House floor: AOC appears to be crying as the House passed a $1 billion funding for Israel's Iron Dome. She voted no, then switched her vote to present last minute.
yahoodis must've used a pretty long bamboo to cause this :rotfl:
I am also curious about what pressure did they use exactly.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I wonder if Nancy Pelosi told her, if you vote Yes. It's back to the bar for you.

Anyway, this is what a kerb stomping looks like.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Hey @washingtonpost,

since u are too busy to address the issue, thought to help u! Replacing your old OPINIONS with today's REALITY!

Haven't twisted much(unlike you), Just replaced India with the #US, considering the fact that an average of 2k DIE PER DAY in US due to #Covid!
via@Sight_Insight

each white flag in the photo below represents an ameriki who died from covid