Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by vijayk »

wrong thread
Last edited by vijayk on 23 Jan 2020 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Mort Walker wrote: Early 70s might be, but not in their 80s. If you have parents or grandparents of that age, who are healthy, you will find their outlook on life is wistful, rather than looking forward as person who is 15 years younger.
Oh well.. I have been wistful about the Golden Age Of Freedom since age 4yrs 9 mo and 15 minutes: the pre 4yrs 9mo Age at the end of which (per my demands, I must admit) I was "allowed" to go to school. :((

But what sectors are driving this employment growth - or is it broad across the whole economy? My ne-few thrice removed in desh still seems petrified about buying any stock saying the market remains overpriced.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

UlanBatori wrote:
Mort Walker wrote: Early 70s might be, but not in their 80s. If you have parents or grandparents of that age, who are healthy, you will find their outlook on life is wistful, rather than looking forward as person who is 15 years younger.
Oh well.. I have been wistful about the Golden Age Of Freedom since age 4yrs 9 mo and 15 minutes: the pre 4yrs 9mo Age at the end of which (per my demands, I must admit) I was "allowed" to go to school. :((

But what sectors are driving this employment growth - or is it broad across the whole economy? My ne-few thrice removed in desh still seems petrified about buying any stock saying the market remains overpriced.
There are always exceptions sir. Especially for experienced yak herders.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Even Time is kind of backing off from supporting Secy H.Clinton in this new front that got opened up:

'A Fighting Chance': Tulsi Gabbard Could Possibly Win Her Defamation Suit Against Hillary Clinton

The original statement, which is slimey enough to slip out of a legal challenge, but enough to implicate Smt Gabbard with innuendo:
“She’s the favorite of the Russians,” Clinton continued. “They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far. And, that’s assuming Jill Stein will give it up, which she might not because she’s also a Russian asset. Yeah, she’s a Russian asset.”
But Atlantic is clear on who they swore allegiance to :lol: :
Tulsi Gabbard Sues for Attention

So as per her own party's influential globalists, this Smt Gabbard works for PM Modi's storm troopers, President Putin's internet boys and most certainly President Trump's office. And yet she keeps speaking against getting America into a new long-protracted war and all three leaders she is working for, has pulled back from the brinks of wars, unlike the one she is sueing.

Very confusing to outsiders who are watching this pony-show called DNC primaries
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Sorry source cannot be linked. Reuters.
By Aditya Kalra and Neha Dasgupta
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The United States wants India to buy at least another $5-6 billion worth of American poultry and farm goods if New Delhi wants to win reinstatement of a key U.S. trade concession, four sources familiar with the talks told Reuters.
U.S. President Donald Trump cited trade barriers last year when removing India from its Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program that allowed zero tariffs on $5.6 billion of exports to the United States. In retaliation, India slapped higher tariffs on more than two dozens U.S. products.
Ahead of a Trump visit to New Delhi to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi next month, negotiators on both sides are hammering out terms for a trade deal that would include New Delhi rolling back higher tariffs on some farm goods such as almonds, walnuts and apples, one of the sources said.
Both governments had hoped to work out a limited trade deal last year, but struggled to reach an agreement.
India's commerce ministry and the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi did not respond to a request for comment. The office of the U.S. Trade Representative did not immediately respond outside regular business hours.
While India has offered a partial relief on medical device price caps that have hurt American pharma giants and a roll back in tariffs on some U.S. goods, Trump's team wants a sweetener of $5-6 billion in additional trade for U.S. goods to restore GSP privileges, three of the sources said.
That demand was conveyed by the United States to India in late December, said two sources.
As part of the negotiation, the U.S. wants India to increase imports of frozen poultry products, the first source said. The U.S. has already been pushing India to cut the high import taxes on poultry products.
"The deal has to be agriculture focused, the U.S. is putting a number on everything (if India wants GSP back)," said one of the sources.
The sources asked not to be named due to the sensitivity of the discussions.
Other than the agriculture sector, the United States could be swayed if some of that additional revenue goes to its energy sector, said one of the sources.
Indian oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan this week said India was looking forward to extending its energy cooperation with the United States and other countries, but didn't disclose any planned deals.
Trump is likely to visit India in late February, in what would be his first visit to the South Asian nation since he took office three years ago.
(Reporting by Aditya Kalra and Neha Dasgupta; Additional reporting by Alexandra Ulmer, Nidhi Verma; Editing by Euan Rocha and Toby Chopra)
Just thinking out loud: Aren't Apples Walnuts and Almonds all JK crops? So this will increase competition for JK farmers? Maybe induce better road infrastructure for Kashmiri products to reach rest of India in fresher condition than stuff shipped from US West Coast? I wonder about the Kentucky Fried Chicken part of the deal.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

^ What happened of selling more Harley's in India ?
Why can't they sell cheaper Tesla in India. Helps Planet too !!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

What are the medical devices with price control in India I wonder.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This story is completely backwards: US Commerce Dept is worried about National Security - but the Pentagon pushes back citing concerns about impact on US business!!!!!!! :?: :?: :?: :roll:
New Huawei restriction in limbo after Pentagon disagrees with Commerce approach
Reuters - 11:02 AM ET 1/24/2020 Top News
WASHINGTON, Jan 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. Commerce Department has put on hold a rule aimed at further reducing sales to China’s Huawei Technologies amid pushback from the Defense Department, people familiar with the matter said.
The move leaves the proposal in jeopardy, but President Donald Trump's administration plans a high-level meeting next week to discuss the issue, one of the sources said, adding that the Pentagon cited concerns about the impact on U.S. businesses.
The Commerce Department did not immediately comment. Huawei declined to comment.
Commerce in May placed Huawei on a trade blacklist, citing national security concerns. That allowed the U.S. government to restrict sales of American-made goods to the company and a small number of items made abroad that contain U.S. technology.
Under current regulations, key foreign supply chains remain beyond the reach of U.S. authorities, fueling frustration among China hawks within the administration and a push to expand U.S. authority to block more shipments to Huawei.
Reuters reported in November that the Commerce Department was considering broadening the rule that dictates how much American content in a foreign-made product gives the U.S. government authority to regulate sales.
Under current regulations, the United States can require a license or block the export of many high-tech products shipped to China from other countries if U.S.-made components make up more than 25% of the value.
According to two people familiar with the matter, Commerce has drafted a rule that would lower the threshold only on exports to Huawei to 10% and expand the purview to include non-technical goods like consumer electronics including non-sensitive chips.
U.S. businesses argue that enabling the government to regulate more sales to Huawei to include low-tech items made overseas with very little U.S. technology would end up needlessly hurting American companies while encouraging Huawei to source more goods abroad. (Reporting by Alexandra Alper, Karen Freifeld, David Shepardson and Mike Stone in Washington; editing by Jonathan Oatis)
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

UlanBatori wrote:What are the medical devices with price control in India I wonder.
Arterial stents.

https://www.usitc.gov/publications/332/ ... t-0920.pdf
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

hnair wrote:Even Time is kind of backing off from supporting Secy H.Clinton in this new front that got opened up:

'A Fighting Chance': Tulsi Gabbard Could Possibly Win Her Defamation Suit Against Hillary Clinton

The original statement, which is slimey enough to slip out of a legal challenge, but enough to implicate Smt Gabbard with innuendo:
“She’s the favorite of the Russians,” Clinton continued. “They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far. And, that’s assuming Jill Stein will give it up, which she might not because she’s also a Russian asset. Yeah, she’s a Russian asset.”
But Atlantic is clear on who they swore allegiance to :lol: :
Tulsi Gabbard Sues for Attention

So as per her own party's influential globalists, this Smt Gabbard works for PM Modi's storm troopers, President Putin's internet boys and most certainly President Trump's office. And yet she keeps speaking against getting America into a new long-protracted war and all three leaders she is working for, has pulled back from the brinks of wars, unlike the one she is sueing.

Very confusing to outsiders who are watching this pony-show called DNC primaries
Most people in financial industry think T will win again and Dems will lose House. Not sure about House part
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Mort Walker wrote:
UlanBatori wrote:What are the medical devices with price control in India I wonder.
Arterial stents.
https://www.usitc.gov/publications/332/ ... t-0920.pdf
If they capped the price of Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) sensors (and transmitters which are separate from sensors in some models) at about 5% of present, the Diabetes epidemic in India can be smashed. In the US if one has the right med. insurance this is already the case. For instance, market price of 1-month supply (2 or 3 sensors) > $300, what one co-pays at insurance-supported check-out counter is $15. That's still >INR 1000; I believe current price in India is >3000.
But more to the point, the huge Diabetes Medication scam can be smashed as most of that is rendered needless by the CGM. Per CDC, 85% of Indian population has diabetes.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

^^^^
Sir, Bharat's diabetic epidemic's main contributing factor is the diet, which is getting worse by every passing day.
Too much of sugar consumption, - from tea/coffee to laddu/halwa, is a major factor. On top of it, have you seen the urban kids at present? They all look really 'all-rounders'. Chips, cream-puffs, icecream, soda, choco bars, and a host of other packaged foods are creating a generation of sick citizens. As the general population in the west is getting health conscious, and abhoring all the junk food, the same western food manufacturers are dumping their junk products on countries like India, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc.

In the US, the push for healthy lifestyle came from the health insurance companies. They figured out that regular free wellness check-ups, coupled with constant barrage of info about healthy eating and exercises can help their bottom line. Unfortunately, this is not the case in Bharat.

A family member of mine who is a medical doctor was telling me that already in Bangalore 12 % of the kids under 12 are having excess level of sugar in blood. 30% of the people under the age 30 are already confirmed diabetic. ... Sensing this epidemic, the western big pharma are already shifting their marketing focus to the Asian countries.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

There is also excessive Alochol consumption without exercise, plus most alcohol in India is prepared from Chemical processes from Sugarcane not as per the Traditional mehtods in the West
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^^ Hey, don't insult "Kanal-perungi" charaayam, the State Drink of Malloostan. Sewage fermented with spiders, rats and coconut waste with halal furniture polish for the sting and color.
Anyway, the lifestyle u describe is why I dream of retiring to Malloostan some din. But what I am saying is that the CGM devices are absolute game-changers. U eat a spoonful of raspberry jam, and an hour later the gizmo mercilessly shows you the effect. Pretty soon one figures out how to distribute medication to optimally smooth out the the effects. India needs those as much as India needs electric cars. Driverless, preferably.

Wonder if desh can substitute $1B of CGM imports for US apples. Walnuts I have nooo idea who needs.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

LEFT
Sanders:“We have pointed out over and over again that Amazon made $10 billion in profits last year. You know how much they paid in taxes? You got it, zero!”. “Any wonder why the Washington Post is not one of my great supporters, I wonder why?” (source)
Sanders:I wonder why the Washington Post—which is owned by Jeff Bezos, who owns Amazon—doesn’t write particularly good articles about me. I don’t know why. But I guess maybe there’s a connection. (source)
RIGHT
TRUMP: While we are on the subject, it is reported that the U.S. Post Office will lose $1.50 on average for each package it delivers for Amazon. That amounts to Billions of Dollars. The Failing N.Y. Times reports that “the size of the company’s lobbying staff has ballooned,” and that does not include the Fake Washington Post, which is used as a “lobbyist” and should so REGISTER. If the P.O. “increased its parcel rates, Amazon’s shipping costs would rise by $2.6 Billion.” This Post Office scam must stop. Amazon must pay real costs (and taxes) now!(source)
TRUMP: So sorry to hear the news about Jeff Bozo being taken down by a competitor whose reporting, I understand, is far more accurate than the reporting in his lobbyist newspaper, the Amazon Washington Post,” President(source)
TRUMP: “[..] These people make it up. Washington Post, that’s basically the lobbyist for Amazon. You know, he uses that — bezos has got bigger problems than anybody right now. But bezos uses that as his lobbyist, okay? As far as I’m concerned. [..](source)
The Washington Post: McCarthyism’s Rightful Heir
Aaron Posey
Apr 19, 2017
“The notion that a newspaperman doesn’t have a duty to his country is perfect balls.” — Joseph Alsop, former American journalist and CIA operative
I was always under the impression that the Washington Post was one of the pillars of our democracy. Putting journalistic integrity ahead of personal or professional gain, they worked for us. They stood on the frontlines, unwavering in the face of partisan influence, leaving hyperbole and sensationalism at the checkout lane. The truth was sensational enough, and they knew it. They protected us from the corruption and illegalities that are inevitable in a representative government. They broke Watergate. They caused a president to resign.

BUT WHAT HAPPENED NEXT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!

Or not. But you may find it interesting.

See, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein may have forever in the eyes of the public branded The Washington Post as the publication that brought down a presidency, but some of its biggest accomplishments may never be credited.

In the 50’s, at the height of the Cold War, Frank Wisner supervised the Office of Policy Coordination (OPC), the CIA’s espionage and counter-intelligence branch. He was told to create an organization that concentrated on “propaganda, economic warfare; preventive direct action, including sabotage, anti-sabotage, demolition and evacuation measures; subversion against hostile states, including assistance to underground resistance groups, and support of indigenous anti-Communist elements in threatened countries of the free world.”

This led to Wisner activating Operation Mockingbird, a disinformation program whose sole purpose was to influence American mainstream media. But in order to have a significant impact in the national narrative, Wisner would have to build a team. His first recruit?

Philip Graham, the owner of The Washington Post. Heading the program from within the industry meant Graham was tasked with filling out the team. By 1953, thanks to Graham’s recruitment, Operation Mockingbird had significant influence over at least 25 major publications including the New York Times, Newsweek, the New York Post, CBS, Time and Life Magazines, and of course The Washington Post and many others.

But what exactly was the point of all this? Well, like probably nothing I’ve seen in my lifetime, the U.S. faced a legitimate existential threat in the U.S.S.R. McCarthyism was in full swing and the Red Scare had the nation in a frenzy. People were being blacklisted on national television, and our own government feared the populace being influenced by “godless” communists so much that they added the words “In God We Trust” to our currency. Students in all public schools added “under God” to the Pledge of Allegiance, and then practiced hiding under their desks to shield themselves from a nuclear blast.

The first real test of this disinformation campaign came when Senator Joseph McCarthy put the CIA itself in the crosshairs of his fear-mongering and xenophobic crusade, calling it a “sinkhole of communists”. Wisner then tasked five Operation Mockingbird operatives with attacking McCarthy. Drew Pearson, Joe Alsop, Jack Anderson, Walter Lippmann, and Ed Murrow orchestrated the take down, and McCarthyism was over.

Except that it wasn’t. With Senator McCarthy out of commission, U.S. intelligence agencies continued to target those with “leftist views”, using the House of Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) to summon people in for interrogation. The CIA and FBI also gave information on people in the industry who were suspected of belonging to subversive organizations during WWII to conservative television producer Vincent Harnett, who published the names of those 121 individuals.

The results of being blacklisted were devastating, by the way. Passports were revoked. Those affected were under constant surveillance, causing Lee J. Cobb’s wife to be institutionalized. Cobb himself was rendered unemployable and unable to borrow. People were held prisoner in their own country, forced to cooperate in the investigations of others who shared their political views.

Graham and Operation Mockingbird came under fire in 1956 when David Bruce, a member of the President’s Board of Consultants on Foreign Intelligence Activities (PBCFIA), wrote in an Eisenhower commissioned report on the CIA, “what right have we to go barging around in other countries buying newspapers and handling money to opposition parties or supporting a candidate for this, that, or the other office”.

Not to get ahead of myself, but that sounds like what a country would do when it still cared about discretion. Unlike now, where we sponsor terrorist groups, and then send in our own military to finish the job. (Iraq, Libya, Syria?)

Operation Mockingbird and it’s network of mainstream media outlets continued their assault on American leftists well after the Red Scare. In the late 1960’s, the FBI sanctioned program COINTELPRO (COunter INTELligence PROgram), which was initially created to target the Communist Party, was tasked with disrupting and discrediting what they called “black nationalist hate groups”. But their main targets were civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Black Panthers, a group created to protect citizens from police brutality, and that instituted the Free Breakfast for Children program.

In 1970, COINTELPRO teamed up with Operation Mockingbird to run a smear campaign on actress Jean Seberg. Seberg had been providing financial support to the NAACP, Native American school groups, and the Black Panthers. Operation Mockingbird ran stories that Seberg’s unborn child was fathered by Black Panther member Raymond Hewitt, rather than her husband Romain Gary.

The smear campaign sought to “possibly cause her embarrassment and tarnish her image with the general public”. Instead, Seberg went into premature labor, and the child died two days later.

The rumor was dismissed at the funeral, as the open casket exposed the baby’s white skin for reporters to see.

Remember, this entire program is being run by the owner of The Washington Post, and the CIA, who now has a $600 million contract with Jeff Bezos, the current owner of The Washington Post.

Jeff Bezos’ other company, Amazon, secured the contract in December of 2013 by offering the CIA “advanced, high-tech cloud infrastructure”, just three months after Bezos purchased the publication for $250 million in cash.

Since then, discretion has become less of a priority, as Bezos’ obvious conflict of interest has delved into the metaphysical with, at least, his media publication.

The WaPo became the king of self references recently, running ten articles concerning the Deep State from February 21 through March 13 of this year. The general theme of this media blitz was to confirm the existence of the Deep State, but to limit public perception as to what it actually does. Someone forgot to tell The New Yorker though, as they were still trying to debunk the theory as late as March 20.

The CIA’s influence in our mainstream media, and in this case, specifically The Washington Post, has been glaring in its demonizing of progressive Democrats and movements.

Back in March of 2016, The Washington Post ran 16 anti-Bernie Sanders articles in just 16 hours, with 12 of those coming out during the debate in Flint, MI.

Their editorial board took meetings with four 2016 presidential candidates, including the Green Party’s Jill Stein. They used that meeting to run editorials with titles such as “Jill Stein’s Fairy-Tale Candidacy”, and slam her running mate, Ajamu Baraka, for calling then President Obama an “Uncle Tom”. The malicious intent veered into blatant ridicule when Jonathan Capehart used a WaPo editorial to compare Ajamu’s comment to the white nationalist rhetoric of Donald Trump.

Josh Rogin, a regular contributor to The Washington Post, has taken exception with Representative Tulsi Gabbard, who has consistently been the most vocal opposition to U.S. Military intervention aimed at toppling governments in Iraq, Libya, and the democratically elected Syria. Hit pieces such as “How Tulsi Gabbard became Assad’s mouthpiece in Washington”, served to discredit her fact-finding mission to Syria, no doubt spurred by the lack of mainstream media presence in the region, and call into question the legitimacy of the organization Gabbard and Dennis Kucinich’s mission was sponsored by.

Kucinich promptly took to social media to debunk Rogin’s claims that the organization did not exist, saying, “The organization is in my neighborhood. Here’s photos I took yesterday of AACCESS-Ohio’s marquee”. The Washington Post indeed printed a correction accompanying the original article, but made no mention of Representative Gabbard eventually bypassing the organization and funding the trip out of her own pocket.

These “shoot from the hip” tactics employed by WaPo contributors are nothing new, and have only helped to make enemies of those who oppose establishment narratives, mainly those calling for rational decision making, and opposing unnecessary yet highly profitable wars.

In a January 2017 Forbes piece titled “Fake News And How The Washington Post Rewrote Its Story On Russian Hacking Of The Power Grid”, Kalev Leetaru breaks down the timeline of events surrounding the initial publication of the story and The Washington Post’s attempts at reigning in their wildly false and baseless accusations.

The original headline read, “Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont, U.S. officials say”. Over the next two hours, as more information became available, the article was edited and amended multiple times, with no noted corrections or edits. Anyone reading the piece would have no idea the WaPo had foregone journalistic integrity to chase a non-existent story, stoking the fire of public anti-Russia sentiment the entire way.

The story ended with no evidence of Russian hacking, and the lone laptop infected with the malware was isolated without incident. The title of the article was changed to “Russian operation hacked a Vermont utility, showing risk to U.S. electrical grid security, officials say”. Better than the tabloid-esque first draft, but still peddling completely unverified fear-inducing propaganda aimed at vilifying the world’s other nuclear power based on what could just as easily have been a lone utility worker watching ***** on a laptop not connected to the grid whatsoever.

BUT RUSSIA MALWARE HACKING ELECTION VIRUS!

Maybe. We have no way of knowing. In 2012, Congress passed H.R. 5736, also known as the Smith-Mundt Modernization Act of 2012. The text of this bill allows for the U.S. Government to use tax dollars to fund propaganda campaigns aimed at influencing policy and public opinion in foreign countries. The bill also makes clear that some U.S. citizens, although not targeted, would be subjected to these same propaganda campaigns given the viral nature of social media. (Not to mention the ridiculous lack of oversight in the program.) The bill also authorizes agents to assume fake identities, and to originate their online presence in foreign countries, even while working from within U.S. borders.

That Macedonian teen who cashed in with fake news during the 2016 election? His name could be Rick, driving a Ford F-150 to pick up his kids from school in Roanoke, Virginia. Considering Congress passed a bill in order to carry out these exact kinds of covert actions, rational thinking leads us to consider this possibility and others, on our search for the truth. Journalistic integrity leads us to responsibly reporting these stories, as to not add to or incite public hysteria.

But, as is glaringly obvious when we take a closer look, The Washington Post represents anything but integrity. The same publication that accused an accomplished member of Congress as being the mouthpiece of a Middle Eastern country who has aligned itself with Russia in an attempt to thwart terrorist groups, who hope to oust elected leaders, and have killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in the process, well that same publication has been the mouthpiece for decades of the CIA, the same agency John F. Kennedy once publicly stated a desire to “splinter … in a thousand pieces and scatter it to the winds”.

Almost 70 years later, and The Washington Post still leads the charge of baseless anti-Russia propaganda. Adding fuel to a fire that is undoubtedly used to incinerate logical, pro-peace sentiments, candidates, and movements. One can only assume Joseph McCarthy himself would approve.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

OT but The Indian Government does need its version of " Operation Mockingbird" to counter the disinformation campaign by George Soros and his lackeys in the Indian media and NGOs trying to undermine the indian economy and its nation status
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nah. The Indian Presstitutes are exposing themselves quite well thank you.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

GOTUS gets tough on ITAR: Harvard Chemistry Dept. Chair arrested!
charges of lying about receiving millions of dollars in Chinese funding, in an escalation of U.S. efforts to counter what officials said is a plot by Beijing to mine U.S. universities.. pioneer in nanotech... lying to DoD and NIH.
Wow! That's bigger than a Mag 7.7 quake.
lying about his participation in China’s Thousand Talents Plan while the U.S. agencies were spending more than $15 million to fund his research group in the U.S.
Through its government-backed Thousand Talents Plan and hundreds of similar programs, China pays scientists around the world to moonlight at Chinese institutions, often without disclosing the work to their primary employers.
The case was one of three presented Tuesday by federal authorities in Massachusetts, with each underscoring U.S. concerns that the Chinese government is trying to obtain cutting-edge U.S. research by exploiting U.S. universities and their professors and researchers. Prosecutors have brought a series of cases charging Chinese Americans and Chinese nationals working in the U.S., prompting concern in the scientific community that authorities were racially profiling people. Mr. Lieber is among the first non-Chinese scientists and highest profile targets to date.
As part of the Thousand Talents program, Wuhan University of Technology gave Mr. Lieber more than $1.5 million to set up a research lab in China, according to the complaint.
The school also agreed to pay him a $50,000 monthly salary and offered around $150,000 in annual living expenses for “significant periods” from 2012 to 2017, it said.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^^UBCN doing what v do best: See WooHan link:Did someone connect 2+2 and arrive at 22? NIH-nano-DoD : what connects those 3? :shock:

Added: I c, thx Anmolji. Looks waaaaay too coincidental. Maya onlee.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 30 Jan 2020 02:36, edited 2 times in total.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Philipji: >> you will be happy to see this
Poroshenko job for pappu Biden was bribe to pappa Biden

Overall, elephant performance at Senate has been very disappointing. They haven't gone on the attack. Should have used the days of open TV to absolutely pulverize HiC, Biden, and all the rest. Wasted.
Former Ukrainian officials told a French journalist that President Petro Poroshenko was directly involved in corruption, and that Hunter Biden’s job at the gas company Burisma was a bribe to his father, the US vice president.

US President Donald Trump is currently on trial in the Senate, having been impeached by the House over Democrat allegations that withholding military aid to Ukraine over corruption concerns amounted to an abuse of power. Former Ukrainian officials and anti-corruption activists, however, have testified that not only was there corruption involving Burisma, the natural gas firm tied to former vice president and Democratic presidential frontrunner Joe Biden’s son, but that it went all the way to the top.

These revelations can be found in the third installment of the documentary series ‘UkraineGate: Inconvenient facts’, produced by the French investigative journalist Olivier Berruyer, founder of popular anti-corruption and economics blog Les Crises.
All in all, Frogistanis seem to be excelling in the St. NAradus role.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

RT dot com on HiC-Gabbard lawsuit jollies
Clinton has not responded since the suit was filed over a week ago, remaining in the background while her loyalists in the Democratic Party denounced the “publicity stunt.” While legal experts opining on the case have disagreed on whether or not Gabbard has a shot at obtaining financial reparations for the harm allegedly done to her campaign, the congresswoman’s request for a jury trial might in and of itself be enough to spook Clinton, whose last appearance in court - being questioned about her emails - has been relentlessly pilloried ever since.

Social media had a field day with the notion that “Crooked Hillary” was once again running from justice.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to find out that Hillary considers herself above the law. She's using Secret Service officers to prevent Tulsi's lawyers from serving her.https://t.co/pJRf4nK84B
— The Ghost of FDR's Martini (@theGSpledge) January 30, 2020

This is exactly what the completely innocent do, refuse to take part in the process! Oh wait, no, I think I got that backwards.This applies today as much as every single day since she became a Clinton. pic.twitter.com/tWzoQfZ2DC
— Prof. Dr. Turbo "Berning Sensations" God, Esq. (@CaptMurica) January 30, 2020

Others joked that Gabbard would end up “suicided.”

Crooked Hillary Clinton now ducking process servers trying to avoid the lawsuit against her by Tulsi Gabbard. Tulsi is suing Hillary (does that automatically place her on suicide watch?). https://t.co/PcrvgtP3Vk
— MARK SIMONE (@MarkSimoneNY) January 30, 2020

Tulsi Gabbard suing Hillary Clinton? Is that right? Have they found Tulsi’s suicide note as yet??
— Sir Drinksalot Of Scotch & PaysTooMuchTaxes (@911GlockDoc) January 30, 2020

Some pointed out that Clinton accomplished nothing by avoiding the process server - aside from venting spite, of course.

They can proceed without her getting served, IINM. Especially considering that theres no way they can claim they didnt know. Judge might make them put it in local paper but avoiding getting served like this doesnt get her out of getting sued.Playing these games is so childish.
— Prosecco Proletariat (@Chris_SactoCA) January 30, 2020

"[A] judge may allow the papers to be left at your home or business...may also allow the summons to be mailed to your home or business...via certified mail. If either of these methods fail, the judge may allow the person looking to take legal action..." https://t.co/E9fOy7CoV7
— Gadfly M #IDWP (@GadflyMorse) January 30, 2020
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Something very kooky is going on in the Dem Iowa primary ..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Iowa caucuses 2020 live updates: Iowa Democratic Party delays release of results, citing ‘inconsistencies’

Looks like match-fixing to me ..

Additional details:
https://twitter.com/ByCherian/status/12 ... 1636039680
Walker Bragman @WalkerBragman

Not great optics here, folks:

- Dems paid company literally called Shadow to create caucus app
- Buttigieg campaign also paid Shadow, FEC records show
- Caucus app fails
- Buttigieg declares himself Iowa winner with no results
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

the word is that Biden, Klobuchar didn't do well. sanders, Warren and buttigieg are the three in that order did well. since Biden is the establishment candidate, thye are in a quandary. in the whole mess, Buttigeig is the one who is hurt.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Vayutuvan wrote:the word is that Biden, Klobuchar didn't do well. sanders, Warren and buttigieg are the three in that order did well. since Biden is the establishment candidate, thye are in a quandary. in the whole mess, Buttigeig is the one who is hurt.
Biggest loser is Sanders because he clearly was winning it. Not in terms of delegates because Iowa hardly has any, but because of how much media coverage and publicity is associated with Iowa and nh primaries. Iirc, no candidate to have won NH and IA ever lost the nomination.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Cain Marko wrote: Biggest loser is Sanders because he clearly was winning it. Not in terms of delegates because Iowa hardly has any, but because of how much media coverage and publicity is associated with Iowa and nh primaries. Iirc, no candidate to have won NH and IA ever lost the nomination.
Not really. He is almost surely going to win NH. If Buttigieg is second IA, then his campaign workers would have got energized a lot and more contributions as well as he is going into NH. He would have had a strong showing in NH. But now the enthusiasm is lost. By the way, Rep. Ilhan Omar, who endorsed Sanders, is pushing the CT that this whole drama is played out to benefit Biden and/or Buttigieg. Rep. Omar is not credible.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Democrat caucus goer in Iowa does not know Pete is gay. Oh, these democrats in Iowa are soo different from Trumpians :rotfl:

Last edited by Rony on 05 Feb 2020 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Let me see... these r da ppl hu want to rule the most powerful superpower in the dunia, right?
Without Hicji and Mohterma Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and Donna Brazile Nut bibi, hey just don't even know how to fix an election. :mrgreen:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

UBCN flash:
Buttigig and Sanders, 10 delegates each
Warren 4
Biden: 0

Instead of First Lady, US will have First Queen in the WHOTUS. :roll:

And the OrangeUtan is merciless:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
14h
The Democrat Caucus is an unmitigated disaster. Nothing works, just like they ran the Country. Remember the 5 Billion Dollar Obamacare Website, that should have cost 2% of that. The only person that can claim a very big victory in Iowa last night is “Trump”...Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
12h
It is not the fault of Iowa, it is the Do Nothing Democrats fault. As long as I am President, Iowa will stay where it is. Important tradition!

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
12h
When will the Democrats start blaming RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA, instead of their own incompetence for the voting disaster that just happened in the Great State of Iowa?
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Lets see if this goes through or the christians of north carolina will come up with some excuses and force the Hindus of north carolina to abandon the plan

Hindu Temple Plans Large Murugan Statue in Rural North Carolina
The likeness of Murugan, the warrior God who fights evil in Tamil Hindu tradition, would soar above the pines on a 130-acre tract of land in Moncure, in eastern Chatham County. The statue itself would be 155 feet tall, mounted on a 35-foot base, with the structure topping out at 190 feet, according to plans. To get an idea of the statue’s scale, compare it to the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor, which is 151 feet 1 inch tall from the top of the base to the torch, according to the National Park Service.

Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

delete
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Rural North Carolina - the redneck country? I doubt they will allow it. Some excuse will be found to deny permission.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Kakkaji wrote:Rural North Carolina - the redneck country? I doubt they will allow it. Some excuse will be found to deny permission.
It's in the county directly east of Research Triangle of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Pittsboro is the county seat. At that height they would need to have aircraft obstruction lights on the top. I don't think the Tamil/Telgu community would consider it if they didn't think it wouldn't get approved. The first level opposition would be safety and environmental concern. As long as those are addressed it may happen. The problem with redneck EJs is that they are much like mullahs who oppose all statutes. If someone wanted to build a 400ft tall Jesus, they would probably oppose that too.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Correction. It looks like Lord Murugan has approval!

https://www.chathamnewsrecord.com/stori ... river,1845
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

Multi-year Drama is over. Democrats will lick their wounds in year-end elections with no gains in sight for them.
They pissed Republicans and non-partisan moderates enough to flock them all to Trump.

Senate acquits Trump on abuse of power, obstruction of Congress charges
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate ... hment-vote
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Elephant-bb's campaign pitch:
China attacks American jaabs.
Eyeran attacks American troops.
While Congress attacks only the President.
Ah approve this message
Because it's time to get to work!
I think that message is going to play well. And Mullah Romney shot his candidacy in the musharraf.
In the end, the elephants' "defense" was *not** that the POTUS was innocent of the "charges".
It was that the "charges" didn't amount to a hill of beans. A big difference when ppl decide whether their elected reps are doing any work.

Even those who hate DT see that the donkeys were incompetent: they couldn't find anything worse than **THAT**?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

RT.com enjoying themselves
Russians did it! Democratic congresswoman finally says what Russiagaters have all been thinking about Iowa caucus fail
A Texas congresswoman has suggested that Russians were responsible for the problems with the Democratic Party’s Iowa caucus app and suggested the party call in the FBI to investigate. How did this take so long?

Rep. Sheila Jackson (D) called on Iowa Democrats to bring the FBI in to investigate Russian involvement in the malfunctioning of the vote-reporting app that threw the first vote of the 2020 election season into disarray. She made the comment during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on FBI oversight on Wednesday, but shrewd observers of Democratic behavior had predicted it almost immediately after the extent of the botched caucus vote count came to light.
“I hope that the Iowa democrats will ask for an FBI investigation on the app,” Jackson Lee said, adding, somewhat confusingly, “I believe that Russia has been engaged in and interfering with a number of our elections dealing with the 2016 election.”

While Wray’s prepared testimony for the hearing, which covered an array of issues from encryption to organized crime, did not include the “R-word,” he did refer to “foreign influence operations” designed to “spread disinformation, sow discord, push foreign nations’ policy agendas, and ultimately undermine confidence in our democratic institutions and values.”

Certainly, the Iowa fiasco has undermined confidence in Americans’ “democratic institutions,” but it has also made clear that no foreign actor is necessary to accomplish this. Shadow Inc., the company behind the app whose failure has held up the vote count for two days as of Wednesday evening, is positively bristling with all-American conflicts of interest, including shadowy links to South Bend mayor Pete Buttigieg, the candidate who just happens to have come out on top, and several employees hailing from the doomed 2016 Hillary Clinton campaign. Iowa Democrats have repeatedly insisted the voting issues were unrelated to any hack, but instead concerned “inconsistencies” in vote totals.

Buttigieg declared himself the winner before any numbers were released, and current results as of Wednesday afternoon - with about three quarters of precincts counted - have him narrowly leading Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders. Mainstream media have largely lost interest, except to call for the cancellation of the “archaic” caucus system - which as some have noted is much more difficult to rig than a typical primary.

Among the commentators who had predicted the Democrats would blame Russia for the app’s catastrophic failure were no less than President Donald Trump himself, along with several other prominent Republicans. With various degrees of tongue-in-cheek, all predicted Democrats would be unable to detach from the “Russian meddling” allegations to which they’ve been clinging, limpetlike, since 2016 despite the absence of evidence.

When will the Democrats start blaming RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA, instead of their own incompetence for the voting disaster that just happened in the Great State of Iowa?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 4, 2020

There’s no way the Democrats actually take responsibility for this Iowa caucus disaster right? So... Which country will they blame it on and accuse Trump of colluding with? Do they go with Russia, Ukraine or try a new one?
— Robby Starbuck (@robbystarbuck) February 4, 2020
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

What exactly was this gesture of a Speaker (one who is supposed to moderate and bring order, no less!) supposed to achieve?

Nancy Pelosi’s ‘Trump’ Trilogy

With the 2020 U.S. presidential election officially under way (well, sort of, after Iowa), it is a moment to assess the state of the competition. The first conclusion is startling: As if one weren’t enough, we now know the Democrats are competing against two Donald Trump s.

The first Trump is the person elected 45th president of the U.S. by voters in November 2016. That is the Trump who delivered the State of the Union speech, an enumeration of his policies and a look at the content of his re-election campaign.

But there’s another Donald Trump, the “Trump” of the Democratic Party’s imagination—a Darth Vaderish emperor of evil, whose speech House Speaker Nancy Pelosi methodically tore to pieces, as if summoning an ancient curse that would finally make “Trump” melt into a puddle before her.

“Trump” is the character Bernie Sanders calls “the most corrupt president in history” or in Mike Bloomberg’s TV ads is “an angry, out-of-control president.”

While the rest of the country went about its business the past three years, the Democrats and much of Washington’s media have tried to reimagine the U.S. presidency as a kind of Star Wars trilogy between the forces of good and rank evil.
This does look like a Jump the shark moment in her long career, what with the impeachment process grinding to a halt at the Senate and this episode making it look like she has lost her cool after that setback. Neither Trump's existing base nor Republican elected officials switched sides during impeachment process, showing that the evidence was not convincing enough, despite these two being called all sorts names by the Democrats.

Maybe this shaming approach to politics by liberals needs to change. It is being reflected in all those anti-Kashmir and anti-CAA resolutions too and is adversely affecting their goodwill in India.

The reason for this post is that, a few posters here have been over the years, telling us that Sree Comey, Sree Mueller and now Smt Pelosi is going to end this rather entertaining President's career. They have all been very wrong. Every time. Yet I am sure we will not hear the end of such posters claiming insight into things that they have been proven wrong so many times :( A similar approach by even the current President against Pres Obama to end his career also did not work much, where he too was hounded quite a bit over non-issues rather than drone-assassinations or economy.

We need to keep watching this flawed democracy called USA and publicly point out the issues they are creating for their own people
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

There is lot of support for Nancy Pelosi among her caucus. she raises big bucks for the party. that said, that doesn't percolate down to the grassroots democrat voters. she is living in the Washington bubble as per some on ... ahem ... Fakes news nutwerken.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 07 Feb 2020 04:06, edited 1 time in total.