Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by Lilo »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3735107/posts

more and more US cities stop recycling and just landfill or burn stuff due to cost and china declining.

---
goes to show the pahle aap & lawful myth of goradom is based on
- abundance of resources per capita
- someone else cleans the shit

if either or both break down, its back to their normal scheduled militant self serving meme which enabled them to "conquer new lands"
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The abundance of resources is mindblowing though. Our publics crazy produce 10x children logic even if unable to afford them is what is causing half of our problems.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Karan M wrote:Our publics crazy produce 10x children logic even if unable to afford them is what is causing half of our problems.
^10+
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/ ... 33901.html
The United States will revoke or deny visas to International Criminal Court (ICC) personnel seeking to investigate possible war crimes by US forces or allies in Afghanistan, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said.

"The ICC is attacking America's rule of law," Pompeo told reporters in Washington on Friday.

"I'm announcing a policy of US visa restrictions on those individuals directly responsible for any ICC investigation of US personnel.
Something to learn from.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Suresh S wrote:
Vayutuvan wrote:
neurosurgeons make a million dolla PA while malpractice insurance premium is a mere 100k. let us cry a bucket for these "poor" folks.
This statement is completely wrong. the premium for malpractice in neurosurgery is close to half a million dollars per annum. Most neurosurgeons can not even practice independently . They have to get a job in a hospital to survive. I would not recommend anyone to get into this speciality.
Sigh......Suresh is absolutely correct.

So many people think they know but really do not. The healthcare system in the US is driven by three main engines in order of power and influence:

1. People's expectations: where anyone walking into an ER with a headache demands and gets a CT scan or an MRI, where a 100 yr old woman with dementia is kept alive on a ventilator with tube feedings going through a gastrostomy.

2. Malpractice laws: Where a pathologist is sued for 'causing death through negligence' when all she did was an autopsy on an already dead person and that too because she was 'on-call' for the hospital which employed her.

3. Fee for service: You come to see a physician with diarrhea, he charges you his usual and customary for taking care of your problem, but gets paid a fraction of it because that is the contracted rate with the insurance carrier. He has no options to change this - it is either take it or leave it. Fee for service is the standard of business in the world since time immemorial. It is the smallest of factors influencing healthcare.

All these are actual examples from my own experience. In the US you cannot change or stop any of these engines because of the intense lobbying on the part of the lawmakers themselves - who guess what, are all lawyers almost without exception and are heavily supported by their own trial-lawyer groups. The poor politician who tries to alter the system faces severe opposition and ridicule - as Hillary and Obama found out.

As for malpractice premiums, yes, neurosurgeons have among the highest load. OB/GYN in New York pays $150K. If you add an average cost of $100K for running the practice, he has to make $250K before taking any money home. I know so many physicians who have abandoned their practices and joined hospitals or other large organizations just to survive. Medicine is still a decent job but all things considered, a consultant in the UK is probably better off in many ways, not just economically than his counterpart in the US which is quite the reverse from what it used to be two decades ago.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^You could not be more wrong.

If it wasn’t for the rule of law and lawsuits, then public safety would have taken a backseat. Cars were very unsafe up to the 1970s when several lawsuits forced manufacturers to fix safety issues. The same can be said about any industry including medical care. In India and the developing world, life is cheap where many people die due to a lack of safety. It isn’t malice that causes this, but not having the rule of law where negligence has no consequences.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

^^

The same rule of law applies in the UK, Canada, Germany, Japan etc. There is no 'malpractice' of the kind there is in the US. The cost of providing healthcare is so much lower.

I know there have been so many debates on NPR and such, however, they conveniently brush aside the statistics that denote the health status of a given nation. In almost all aspects the US falls behind many EU nations and Japan in Infant mortality, maternal mortality, Life-expectancy etc.

Nobody is denying the value of laws that protect consumers or, in the case of healthcare, patients. But these laws are not what malpractice lawyers make money on. Negligence is so dependent upon whose version you believe, the jury or a coroner.

I worked in India and in UK for years before the US. I know the system is so different in each place. Without a close understanding of how malpractice affects healthcare in the US it would be difficult for anyone to compare. Let us leave it at that.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^The US spends the most and has the lowest health status of all the developed nations with the exception of cancer survival. Cost of procedures, treatment, medicine and hospitalization are the big culprits. The hidden insurance billing practices between hospitals and drug companies to insurance companies is a scam in the US.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

^^

There is a lot of spin about insurance/pharma/hospital scams. Yet, so many hospitals are barely surviving or depending on charities and donations. Physician practices are struggling, especially solo and small groups. As I said, there are many factors why the US spends the most on healthcare and yet has the lowest health parameters among the top industrialized nations. The main reasons I have outlined in my post earlier. We can debate this forever, but will cause a major thread drift. Suffice it to say you have to be a part of the system for many years before you can understand what is really going on.

The differences will be obvious if you were to compare the number of long term ventilated patients in the US vs Europe, or Compare the number of feeding gastrostomies placed in UK vs US, compare the number of patients hospitalized from 'long-stay' units for trivial urinary infections or pneumonias, compare the number of patients undergoing cardiac bypass surgery in their 80s, compare the number of patients receiving dialysis over age 80. The list is endless. In the UK, you will not get fem-pop bypass if you are an active smoker, while you would in the US. This stuff just goes on.

As I said, I've worked in both systems for years. I am deeply involved in the process, running a healthcare business myself. Don't want to get into details, and will not continue this further. I will let you have the last say if you wish, this argument is not worth my time.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^No problem Primus-ji. I'm all for letting people make money. The whole of America is a scam. At some point the system will break as US health care costs are getting out of hand even for people who are in the upper middle class when they get older. The calls for socialized medicine are getting louder and will see the push toward it after the next financial crisis.

It really is my fault and my wife's for going into the sciences as opposed to applying for medical college. Perhaps we just aren't smart enough.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

twitter
Must watch video:

Joint Chiefs Chairman says Google refuses to work with US military but provides “direct benefit” to China’s military

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1106247367177764865
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^No problem Primus-ji. I'm all for letting people make money. The whole of America is a scam. At some point the system will break as US health care costs are getting out of hand even for people who are in the upper middle class when they get older. The calls for socialized medicine are getting louder and will see the push toward it after the next financial crisis.

It really is my fault and my wife's for going into the sciences as opposed to applying for medical college. Perhaps we just aren't smart enough.
The bolded part I agree with completely. I've been saying this from the day I landed in the US, need a single payor system, with Crown (Federal) Indemnity. The entire system needs a major overhaul, but there are too many vested interests that prevent it from happening.

And don't be too hard on yourself, you took the road less traveled and given a choice to live my life again, I would do it too, money be damned.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Wonderful statement. I chose to be an engineer and love my work.
Important thing is to do what you like.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

visa and GC people...stay clear of trouble

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/19/70495333 ... immigrants
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yeah. As Orange seeks to make up with Eleven, his target will be desis.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Why are Americans falling back in love with SUVs & Trucks
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think there is something wrong with Federal Reserve.
It looks like it was politicized after Bernanke left.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

The Orange monkey threatened the Federal donkey and this time he obliged.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

The fedonkey really messed it up last year. Inspite of tame inflation, jacked up the interest rate (to satisfy chorporates) and slowed down the economic growth into 2019. So now had to suck up its thumb and announce no more rate hikes till next year (or not even then), since the inflation is non-existent and growth has slowed down.

At this point, the fedonkey has lost complete credibility. They are totally clueless on what actually drives the economy!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

One expert on Bloomberg this AM was saying the feds paused as their data is old and by the time they react it would already be over the cliff. Hence paused to see what has 2018 really brought. Means it will be in a flat or slow growth rest of the year.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Gas prices are up in Mongolia. Always a good sign of growth (or war, which is same thing for those not receiving the Weapons Aid at high speed).
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

I watched/listened to this today on C-SPAN.

Author Dr. Jonathan Metzl spoke about his new book "Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America's Heartland".

He's done the research, and it's proven: They've got real problems, and they're making them worse.

Dr. Metzl's research explains why certain segments of Khan zosiety clings to guns and rejects "socialized medicine"; among other self-defeating propensities of a segment of Khanland's "backbone".
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... GRfuAfP1Hw

"As a practicing Hindu, I have been on the end receiving end of Hinduphobia."
Never thought I would hear this, from any politician, anywhere.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Ardeshir wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... GRfuAfP1Hw

She's the only Democrat I would vote for.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Looks like Mullah Mueller went home after spending $100M taxpayer money and "no pony" (Ronald Reagan copyright**).
I have a hard time imagining AttyGen. Barr biting the hand that fed him. Orange-utan said 2 b in great mood, followers crowing that they "haven't seen so many sad faces since election night 2016". This is a big development.

With such a pile of horse-(dung), there MUST be a pony in here somewhere..
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Hinduphobia is on the rise worldwide. FBI has included Hindus since 2013 in their stats published yearly.
Vamsi Juluri has said in his book Rearming Hinduism- the largest "unrecognised form of violence" world wide considering over a billion adherents incited by academia and media.
many of its followers dont recognise it as they are brainwashed thru sickular education in schools and other institutions.
30% of school bullying is about Hidnu relgion to school children of Hindu religion.

Glad that Tulsi did raise the term "Hinduphobia" which was missing from vocabulary of many prominent people. In the youtube it comes around 21.40 seconds. question asked by audience around 20 minutes.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Now comes the HS:
“The investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities,” according to the report. It goes on to say that: “In cataloging the President’s actions many of which took place in public view, the report identities no actions that, in our judgment, constitute obstructive conduct.”
I think the standard is "innocent unless proven guilty".
At this point there is not even an accusation left, not to mention indictment.
Orange_utan has every right at this point to kick butt of anyone who continues to nananananaa on this.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Orange-utan leaves much to be desired; particularly is his emboldenment of rabid supporters declaring open season on brown people. That said, herr Mueller basically gave him a clean chit. Now the urban naxal party is trying to concoct charges to impeach him. The same can be said in desh about the left going after the NDA government and Modi.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Thing is that to show that he was actually doing something, Mue.. has "indicted" a bunch of Russians. Crime: Exposing the criminality of HiC. All the rest is fizzled. So we are back to late October 2016.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^The Republicans have really messed up the tax code. For those of us who are professionals with husband and wife working, we're getting screwed. $10K SALT limit, no more exemptions (was $4,050/per person), child credit can only be used for kids who under 17, no more job related expense deduction, and no more tax preparation deduction. Those of us who were in the 24% bracket are now in the 22% bracket, but income is significantly more due less deductions. Net result is that upper middle class pays more. This really adversely affects us Injuns.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^ Its' a unsubtle hint to start a business rather than keep working at a 9-5. AMT limit is higher now, so that should help in some years.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

vera_k wrote:^ Its' a unsubtle hint to start a business rather than keep working at a 9-5. AMT limit is higher now, so that should help in some years.
For those of us who may have LLC or S Corp. the new tax code limits pass through deductions. It’s a tax increase on small privately owned businesses too.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Well since there was no deduction previously, how does it hurt? Its not as good as it could have been, but hard to see how it hurts.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

krisna wrote:

Hinduphobia is on the rise worldwide. FBI has included Hindus since 2013 in their stats published yearly.
Vamsi Juluri has said in his book Rearming Hinduism- the largest "unrecognised form of violence" world wide considering over a billion adherents incited by academia and media.
many of its followers dont recognise it as they are brainwashed thru sickular education in schools and other institutions.
30% of school bullying is about Hidnu relgion to school children of Hindu religion.

Glad that Tulsi did raise the term "Hinduphobia" which was missing from vocabulary of many prominent people. In the youtube it comes around 21.40 seconds. question asked by audience around 20 minutes.
Blame Hinduphobia entirely on scums of NYT?WaPo/BBC/Economist/AlZazeera and Indian sepoys in the west
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Blowback?
Federal prosecutors in New York and California announced charges against Michael Avenatti on Monday in separate cases targeting the former personal attorney for adult film actress Stormy Daniels. Avenatti, who was arrested in New York City on Monday morning, stands accused of attempting to extort Nike for $20 million and faces additional charges of bank- and tax-fraud.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

^^Why does everyone who is rich and powerful in Khanate gets accused of only Tax-fraud, Wire- fraud (no clue what that is) , inside trading and obstruction of Justice charges. Don't rich and powerful ever commit any other regular crimes in the land of free&Brave ?
Is it that they are easiest to prove or is are these charges, a good point to haggle with the accused and scare them into submission.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Vikas wrote:^^Why does everyone who is rich and powerful in Khanate gets accused of only Tax-fraud, Wire- fraud (no clue what that is) , inside trading and obstruction of Justice charges. Don't rich and powerful ever commit any other regular crimes in the land of free&Brave ?
Is it that they are easiest to prove or is are these charges, a good point to haggle with the accused and scare them into submission.
it's hard to prove somebody ordered somebody, unless it is on tape. it is one crooks word against another. paper evidences cannot be demonized. you have to keep in mind their jury system. even then, manafort got off on many charges because of one jury member.

roger stone and manafort are key and both don't cooperate. one went back on cooperation. if barr's reporting of mueller's report is true, then it is left to congress and SDNY to continue..
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

land of free is where a rich gora may get 3 yrs for shoplifting, while !gora && kala may get 10 in the same court.
rich kids have got away with affluenza and other wierd excuses for their deviant acts.
rich do commit crimes of homicidal nature, but not so much - afterall if you are rich , there is less incentive to go ballistic.
charas, ganja , shoplifting, drunk driving, date pills are more rich ppl crimes at low level.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The Rich don't "shoplift": they "lift" the entire Mall and chain of Malls and the company that owns those. Ya gotta have some standards, hain?