Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Post by KLNMurthy »

Mort Walker wrote: ...

I can't recall the laws and I will have to search for them, but after the 1970, statutes were enacted to stop executive branch from over-reaching. The US has interfered with foreign governments well before WWII in the last 150 years. In this century of free-movement and free-trade across the globe, it is reprehensible that a US president can do just that. It doesn't matter what political party they may belong to.
No rush from my end. IIRC there were changes made after the Frank Church commission hearings back then, including a prohibition on murdering foreign leaders, after they tried and failed to murder Castro some n times. (I suspect the main motivation with the prohibition here was to not break an unwritten international rule that there shouldn't be open season on national leaders, in which case US leaders and their foreign allies won't be safe either.)

My only point is, given all the foreign interference / overthrowing shenanigans between 1970 and today, if there were to have been a law prohibiting the same, then the GOTUS has been doing hardly anything but break the law all this time. (Overthrow of Allende in Chile took place in 1973 IIRC, and there were overthrows in places like Dominican Republic as well. Just 2 / n examples). That doesn't make any sense. The thing that also doesn't make sense is that, given the US is an imperial power, Congress would completely tie the Executive's hands by prohibiting it from pursuing the Imperial agenda by any means necessary. If & when you find something specific, by all means I would be interested to know.

After 2001-09-11, Congress gave the executive extensive powers to wage war, and the executive interpreted them very very liberally to put it mildly. It was under these laws that Obama somehow justified systematically droning foreigners as well as US citizens.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Even in 2019, US still has these racist restrictions, although thankfully they are not legal anymore .

Latino couple finds racist covenant in housing paperwork
Yet when Romero and Manzo saw the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs), a document that outlines requirements to live in a property, they were struck by the language used to describe the people who could occupy the house. CC&Rs are not unique to California and in fact, numerous states have CC&Rs. The documents are officially recorded and filed with the state.

“No persons other than those wholly of the white Caucasian race shall use, occupy or reside upon any part of or within any building located on the above described real property, except servants or domestics of another race employed by or domiciled with a white Caucasian owner or tenant,” the document, a picture of which Romero provided to NBC News, read.

Even more shocking was that the document also stipulated that those not “wholly of the white Caucasian” race could not purchase the house.
“People worry that it’s still enforceable, and even though it's not, covenants like these hold symbolic meaning,” Peñalver said. “They can indicate whether someone feels like they’re welcome in a community and serve as a reminder of how pervasive housing discrimination was.”

Despite long-standing laws against housing discrimination, real estate agents show fewer available apartments and homes to minorities than equally qualified whites. According to a study titled “Housing Discrimination Against Racial and Ethnic Minorities 2012” from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Latinos were told about 13 percent fewer homes, black people were told about 11 percent fewer homes and Asians were told about 10 percent fewer homes than their white peers when looking to rent homes. When looking to purchase property, there was no statistical difference between Latino and white buyers, but blacks and Asians were shown nearly 18 percent fewer homes than potential white buyers.

“We’ve inherited a segregated residential landscape that’s the result of explicit racial discrimination,” Peñalver said. “Though racial discrimination in housing has been outlawed, it manifests itself in more subtle forms and perpetuates the wealth gap and economic inequality as housing is a significant source of wealth.”
Peñalver said that “it would be tricky” to try to eliminate the covenant from the documents as it's part of property records, but those who come across such clauses in their paperwork could file a statement with the county recorder or homeowners association to remove it. According to Peñalver, there has not been “a systematic effort” either from individuals or among states to remove such covenants from paperwork because these clauses are not legal.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

My CC&Rs have a disclaimer:
If this document contains any restriction based on race, color,
religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, disability,
genetic information, national origin, source of income as
defined in subdivision (p) of Section 12955, or ancestry, that
restriction violates state and federal fair housing laws and is
void, and may be removed pursuant to Section 12956.2 of the
Government Code. Lawful restrictions under state and federal
law on the age of occupants in senior housing or housing for
older persons shall not be construed as restrictions based on
familial status.
I have not seen any language in the CC&Rs that is racist but if it is there it would void. I live in CA.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

There is a NYT article linked to the post ..

https://twitter.com/llerer/status/1195504997892538373
Lisa Lerer @llerer

Obama wades into the 2020 race, warning of the dangers of listening to “certain left-leaning twitter feeds” or “the activist wing of our party.”

“Even as we push the envelope and we are bold in our vision we also have to be rooted in reality," he said.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Donkeystani POTUS candidate is Bawn Agin
Michael Bloomberg on Sunday reversed his longstanding support of the controversial “stop-and-frisk” police strategy ahead of a potential Democratic presidential run, a policy he embraced as New York’s mayor even though it disproportionately impacted people of color.
Addressing a black church in Brooklyn, Bloomberg said the practice often led to the disproportionate detaining of blacks and Latinos. He added that he “can’t change history” but now realizes “I was wrong.”
Now you dumbasses will vote for me, right?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

pankajs wrote:There is a NYT article linked to the post ..

https://twitter.com/llerer/status/1195504997892538373
Lisa Lerer @llerer

Obama wades into the 2020 race, warning of the dangers of listening to “certain left-leaning twitter feeds” or “the activist wing of our party.”

“Even as we push the envelope and we are bold in our vision we also have to be rooted in reality," he said.
Why did Obama speak now?

Obama wants to give a helping hand to his chela or sidekick Deval Patrick whom Michelle Obama wanted implored from beginning to run for 2020.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

On Sunday, Trump tweeted, “You should act quickly, get the deal done. See you soon!” to Kim Jong Un. But North Korean official Kim Kye Gwan responded, “We are no longer interested in such talks that bring nothing to us. As we have got nothing in return, we will no longer gift the U.S. president with something he can boast of, but get compensation for the successes that President Trump is proud of as his administrative achievement.”
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Sweden drops charges against Julian Assange
No need for the trumped-up charges any more. The Kangaroos are waiting (not referring to Australians).
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Trumputin’s grand strategy proceeds apace:
China signs defense agreement with South Korea as U.S. angers Seoul with demand for $5 billion troop payment

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-signs- ... 03276.html
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

On the sidelines of regional security talks in Bangkok on Sunday, Jeong Kyeong-doo, the South Korean minister of defence, and his Chinese counterpart, Wei Fenghe, agreed to set up more military hotlines and to push ahead with a visit by Mr Jeong to China next year to “foster bilateral exchanges and cooperation in defence”, South Korea’s defence ministry said.  
Is opening a military hotline really a "defence agreement"?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

This is a continuation of October talks where China and South Korea agreed in principle that the entire Korean Peninsula should be denuclearized with Chinese help.

First such bilateral talks in five years.
http://www.mnd.go.kr/user/boardList.act ... 0100000000
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Understanding the US - Again

Post by Peregrine »

Trump impeachment hearings bring patriotism, loyalty issues to fore

WASHINGTON: It was one of the most powerful moments in the tortuous impeachment hearings -- so potent that the audience at the otherwise staid event broke into applause. The Russia-born US National Security Council official had just asserted his credentials as an American patriot in a political drama that has raised many questions about ethnicity, immigration, patriotism, loyalty, and even treason.

"Dad, my sitting here today in the US Capitol talking to our elected officials, is proof that you made the right decision 40 years ago to leave the Soviet Union and come here to the United States of America in search of a better life for our family. Do not worry — I'll be fine for telling the truth,” Lt. Col Alexander Vindman, a Ukraine expert at the Trump White House’s NSC said in a written testimony, shortly before telling US lawmakers and a national audience that he found President Trump’s phone conversation with his Ukrainian counterpart so “improper” that he reported his concerns to his superiors out of a sense of duty.

Other US officials too found Trump dealing with the Ukrainian leadership “unusual” at the very least. There were suggestions that Trump might have used his global heft, including withholding appropriated US aid and dangling a visit to the White House, to force Kiev to launch investigations into ties between the energy major Burisma and the Bidens. Hunter Biden, son of former vice president Joe Biden, Trump’s putative rival in the 2020 Presidential elections, sat on the board of Burisma, ostensibly as a sinecure, and Trump, according to the liberal narrative was seeking to nail his opponent politically.

But according to conservative circles, many US officials who were concerned about President Trump are themselves not above suspicion (even though they are “white”) – because they were not born in the US.

Vindman is a Russian émigré born in the former Soviet Union, former US ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch was born in Canada, and former White House Russia security expert Fiona Hill was born in London.

One host at the unabashedly pro-Trump Fox News, argued that because Vindman immigrated from the former Soviet Union, he "tends to feel simpatico with Ukraine." Vindman is also said to have been offered jobs in Ukraine, including heading the defence ministry.

Such has been the backlash (from the right wing) and tension associated with the officials coming out to testify about Trump’s Ukraine call that the Pentagon has said it is ready to move Vindman and his family (wife and daughter) to an army base to protect him. Vindman’s twin brother also works in the White House.

At Tuesday’s heading, one Democratic lawmaker, New York’s Sean Maloney, asked Vindman how be overcame his fear of reprisal.

"Congressman, because this is America. This is the country I have served and defended, that all of my brothers have served. And here, right matters," Vindman answered, drawing applause from the public audience.

Another Democratic lawmaker, Indian-American Raja Krishnamoorthi from Chicago, pushed further, telling Vindman he was concerned his loyalty has been questioned, “not just because you're bringing forward evidence of wrongdoing against the president of the United States but because you're an immigrant.”

Krishnamoorthi: "I understand that your father worked multiple jobs while also learning English? Your father stressed the importance of embracing what it means to be an American, correct?

Vindman: "That is correct.”

Krishnamoorthi: "From one immigrant American to another immigrant American, I want to say that you and your family represent the very best of America.”

Following Vindman’s electrifying appearance, two witnesses summoned by Republicans gave testimony that also blew up in President Trump’s face. Former special envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker told lawmakers he was unaware that efforts to pressure the Ukrainian government to opening anti-corruption investigations were targeting the Bidens, but said he would have raised objections if he knew then what he knows now.

"In hindsight, I now understand that others saw the idea of investigating possible corruption involving the Ukrainian company Burisma as equivalent to investigating former Vice President Biden," Volker said, referring to the energy company that had employed Hunter Biden. "I saw them as very different – the former being appropriate and unremarkable, the latter being unacceptable. In retrospect, I should have seen that connection differently, and had I done so, I would have raised my own objections."

Republican defence of Trump centers on the fact that (eventually) aid to Ukraine was not stopped, nor were the Bidens investigated, the central “favor” that a whistleblower and other officials say were made of Kiev. But Democrats argue that just because the demands were not consummated does not mean there was no effort to bully, bribe, or blackmail Ukraine. Their argument: ATTEMPTED robbery or assault is also a crime, even if it fails.

But Trump and his supporters have cast the Democratic impeachment effort as a political witchhunt aimed at overturning the 2016 election results and gaining the upper hand in 2020.

“We have learned nothing new in today’s illegitimate ‘impeachment’ proceedings," White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said in a statement. "However, buried among the witnesses’ personal opinions and conjecture about a call the White House long ago released to the public, both witnesses testified the July 25 transcript was ‘accurate’ and nothing President Trump has done or said amounts to ‘bribery’ or any other crime.

"Today’s hearing only further exposes that Chairman Schiff and the Democrats are simply blinded by their hatred for Donald Trump and rabid desire to overturn the outcome of a free and fair election," she added.

Cheers Image
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Lt. Col. Vindman's wrapping himself in the flag and medals pushes all the wrong buttons, sorry to question such a Loyal Brave Heroic Patriot. Reminescent of Col. Oiliver North of Iran-Contra fame. OTOH, maybe I remember his Admin Asst. **** Hall more. I remember someone remarking at lunch
We all know she's lying, but who cares?
:mrgreen:

Vindman's Dad was an emigre from the SU. Understandably anti-SU, no doubt, but his "Ukrainian" roots may be 399% UkBapZi, aligned with the SDOTUS twerps who caused the war there, and basically trashed Ukraine for a few dollars more in their kitties. Let's not forget the "*UCK the EU!" line of attitudes of those times.
Not following the Imbeachment tamasha, it gives a bad name to kangaroo courts. They need to pass verdict and move on to the Senate and maybe consider attending to a few of the Bills (I mean legislative not dollar) waiting for their action.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 21 Nov 2019 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

For those interested in hearing of the Hearings from The One&Only Source:
Impeachment hearing gets more bizarre with Sondland confirming ‘Zelensky loves Trump’s ass’ , but vague on quid pro quo
I sense that this is going to leave BENIS in the dust in terms of sheer entertainment. Got to see if I can find more time to waste watching this.
chanakyaa
BRFite

Post by chanakyaa »

A_Gupta wrote:This is a continuation of October talks where China and South Korea agreed in principle that the entire Korean Peninsula should be denuclearized with Chinese help.

First such bilateral talks in five years.
http://www.mnd.go.kr/user/boardList.act ... 0100000000
Ok, this explains the spat between Japan and SK; and further strained relationship between uncle and SK. When Japan stopped providing critical semiconductor related manufacturing equipment/supplies, in response to SK's renewed reparation claims, the reasons didn't make any sense. Now it does makes sense. Uncle may have pulled some strings. Looks like panda has somehow managed to get closer to SK. SK is the best place where panda can get critical semiconductor and other tech IP from. EU is not going to fall for panda's investment carrots. If SK falls out of favor of uncle's circle that would be big. And, now uncle asking for 5 times compensation for hosting troops etc. seems like looking for reason to pick fight...
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Jimmy Dore gives debate advice to Sanders and Tulsi

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

^^Please post gist so I don't throw up watching the snake talking from the left of the screen at the start. Thx.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Apparently Comilla Harris delivered a "prosecutorial attack" on TG :roll: . FOX also says Butt-e-gig, Sanders and Warren did poorly, while boosting Biden and Klobuchar. Clearly FOX has the donkeystanis' best interests at heart :mrgreen:

Message I read is that TG was "never a member of donkeystan" and "embraces dictators" per Her Highness the Poliburo Prosecutora, so maybe it is time she stepped over to the Dark Side of pachyderms.

The trouble with this race is that the Republican Dirty Tricks Dept must be spending 90% of the campaign budget because they have to dig dirt on 10 or 20 equally incompetent donkeys, all "racing" while tripping over their own legs. No way to predict which ones will really come out "ahead", already limping from all the kicks from the co-donkeys.

Meanwhile, not a peep from the 4 (or 40?) Elephant herd hoping that The Leader gets imbeached. Aren't the Democrats really missing a bet by ignoring THEM?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Thinking through that a bit, none of the donkeys appear capable of beating DT. By the time they finish these "debates" each will be so wounded that a child could knock them over in the final campaign. Close ur eyes and imagine DT on the same stage as any of these.. except TG who now appears to have little hope...

As someone said when my "team" was getting ground into the dirt in the 6-per-side, 6 overs cricket tournament at the Eye-Eye-Tea,
If this were boxing, the referee would have stopped the match, yaar!
If DT survives the impeachment (I mean in the Senate) he will come storming through the Elephant convention with all-out support from the anti-donkey loyalists. But if DT DOES get impeached and is disqualified, then the elephant nomination winner (other than Pence who will be out as well I suppose) will campaign on the simple theme that all that the donkeys have done for the past 4 years is bray. That can potentially deliver the House, Senate, **AND** POTUSy to the elephants. So the present donkey strategy seems to be guaranteed lose-lose, so they can start whining and braying afresh. Where do I buy stock in the Vote Recount Machine vendors I wonder?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Quote:

Dr. Fiona Hill, former National Security Council Russia expert, has sharp words for Republicans in her opening statement, and a critical warning.

"Some of you on this committee," Hill says, "appear to believe that Russia and its security services did not conduct a campaign against our country—and that perhaps, somehow, for some reason Ukraine did." This, she says, "is a fictional narrative that has been perpetrated and propagated by the Russian security services themselves." That Russia was behind the interference, she says, "is beyond dispute, even if some of the underlying details must remain classified." She adds that even now "Russia's security services and their proxies have geared up to repeat their interference in the 2020 election. We are running out of time to stop them."

She asks of committee members that they "please not promote politically driven falsehoods that so clearly advance Russian interests. […] If the President, or anyone else, impedes or subverts the national security of the United States in order to further domestic political or personal interests, that is more than worthy of your attention. But we must not let domestic politics stop us from defending ourselves against the foreign powers who truly wish us harm."
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

These people with the stratospheric Security Clearances are the ones who told my Evil 6th Coujin one week b4 the event that the ***REAL*** reason why Dubya was going to invade Eyerak in 2003 was that a Saddam-sent ship with a nyookular bum was heading for the US East Coast. Damned Deep State Liars all. Yeah, Russia exposed the Deep State Democrats' plans. They should be give the Medal of Freedom for saving the world and the US Constitution taxpayer.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

And right on cue...
Who does Putin want in the White House in 2020? ‘Experts’ suggest reading RT to find out
21 Nov, 2019 12:17 / Updated 4 hours ago
:rotfl:
Russian bots are so 2016. The best way to decipher who Moscow wants in the White House in 2020 is to read RT. That’s according to internet sleuth Clint Watts, who is back with another timely analysis of Russian nefariousness.

Watts, for the uninitiated, is one of the most prolific media charlatans when it comes to fake Russian expertise – and one of the developers behind the ‘Hamilton 68’ dashboard ‘tracking’ Russian influence campaigns online. Launched with much fanfare in 2017, Hamilton 68’s popularity soon fizzled out as even the most ardent Russia critics admitted that media coverage of bot influence was “totally overblown.”

Discredited bot-whisperers New Knowledge rebrand to Yonder, just in time to save 2020 election... from itself? Discredited bot-whisperers New Knowledge rebrand to Yonder, just in time to save 2020 election... from itself?

Now Watts is back with a new approach to “deciphering where, why, how and for whom” Russia might interfere in 2020. This time, he wants you to read RT and Sputnik – and to get you started, he and his team at the Boeing-funded Foreign Policy Research Institute (FPRI) have analyzed 1,711 articles so you don’t have to. But before we get into the results, it’s worth recalling one of the most egregious instances of dishonesty by Hamilton 68.

Jonathan Morgan, one of Watts’ co-developers on the project, was exposed by the New York Times last year for creating fake Russian bots and using them to convince Americans that Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore was being amplified on social media by Moscow-controlled accounts. The story grew legs when Morgan tweeted that Russian bots were “taking an interest” in Moore. The duplicitous scheme even got the so-called researcher kicked off Facebook for engaging in “coordinated inauthentic behavior.”
Tulsi Gabbard? Yes please
It should come as no surprise that Watts declared Gabbard the “overwhelming favorite” of Russian media – and it would be dishonest to deny that the anti-war candidate has received mostly sympathetic coverage at RT and Sputnik.
Gabbard’s anti-interventionist foreign policy stances and criticisms of US militarism have put her at the center of an exceptionally dirty establishment smear campaign, the goal of which is to cast her as a “Russian asset” in the eyes of American voters. RT, needless to say, chose not to jump on that particular bandwagon.
Of course, Watts leaves that part out.
Like many who have seen their media profiles grow thanks to feigned expertise on Russian “active measures,” Watts and crew have faced no real repercussions for their dishonesty so far – and so here we are again, watching as mainstream media takes their latest analysis oh so very seriously.
By Danielle Ryan, an Irish freelance writer based in Dublin. Her work has appeared in Salon, The Nation, Rethinking Russia, teleSUR, RBTH, The Calvert Journal and others.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

UBji, I have not been a long time watcher of US paalitics..perhaps started in 2009 around the speeches of McCain and obama. But has it been that bad always. They are acting pretty much like local leaders of MCD (municipal corp of delhi) except they speak better english and wear better suits
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Worse than MCD by a long way. See those BBs at the "hearings". Just vicious. And the Bozos in natty suits are just as bad. I think the present tamasha can be explained using our great Reference Framework: Pakistaniat.

The Imbeachment of DT was always Destined in Fate, as Revenge For Impeachment of Clinton. Which of course was Revenge for Impeachment of Nixon. I don't know what that was in Revenge of. 2 years after Clinton won the POTUSy, the Elephants gained control of the House (maybe Senate too). Newt Ginginch, whose achievements including running off with some bimbo when his wife was in hospital on her deathbed, declared that the Elephants' sole agenda was to impeach Clinton. Just like todin's Pelosi Mohterma. And that's all they did all through Clinton's second term. Just like todin's donkey-infested COTUS.

DT's huuuuuuuge mistake was that he did not live up to his campaign promise of "locking up" HiC. Like NDA-1 I guess he simply did not have control of the Babooncracy enough to make that happen.

Like Inspecteure Renault in "Casablanca", the Hearing Netas and CNN profess **SHOCK** :eek: at things like "he called up another gangster and asked him to do a favor and fry a crooked son of a political enemy". :rotfl:
Of course if Biden-2 was as smart, he would be as rich as RaGa Bin Donald.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Actually though, TGbibi is absolutely unprecedented in level of wordly knowledge and sophistication, while being honest and sincere. But she was not born with the silver spoon in her mouth.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

From MoveOn.orgy Sorry no yooArrEll.
Dear MoveOn member,

We're in trouble, and it's time to wake up.
In our most recent survey, 57.2% of MoveOn members said that they believe that Donald Trump will be defeated in 2020. But new polling tells a very different story that should send chills down our spines.
According to a new poll from The New York Times, the presidential election in 2020, just like in 2016, will most likely be decided by a few hundred thousand votes spread across the critical swing states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Florida, North Carolina, and Arizona—as those states will tip the Electoral College to the winner. New data shows a statistical dead heat or even an advantage for Trump in every single one of these states.1

It gets worse. Even as Trump's national approval rating has cratered, his edge in the states that will likely decide the election has grown since 2016.2 And if you think that it's still too early to rely on polling data, here's the harsh truth: In the last three presidential elections, head-to-head polling one year out from Election Day has been just as close to the final result as polls taken the day before the election.3

These polls are a stark reminder that we cannot rely on impeachment—or on Trump's unpopularity, cruelty, and ineptitude—to hand us an election victory. 2020 is likely to be the most hard-fought and important election in our lifetimes, and there is not a moment to waste.

MoveOn is ready to meet this moment and fight hard every day until the election, and it is why we are preparing to reveal the details of the largest election campaign in our 21-year history. But we're behind on our budget goal for the month and need to sign up 1,393 new monthly donors by November 30 to close the gap. N., will you help us fill the gap and fuel the most important year in MoveOn's existence by chipping in $5 a month?

Yes, I will become a monthly donor to help power MoveOn's all-hands-on-deck effort to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020. :rotfl:

No, I'm sorry, I can't make a monthly donation. But I can tell you where to stick your propagandoo.

MoveOn will announce our full election program in the coming weeks, but here is just some of what we will focus on to defeat Trump and his Republican cronies in 2020:

Working to end GOP control of the Senate. Defeating Trump is our top priority, but if Mitch McConnell holds on to his power in the Senate, none of the big, progressive priorities that are so critical for our country and which will also mobilize people to go to the polls will ever get done. That's why MoveOn is putting an extra focus on critical Senate elections in Arizona, Colorado, Kentucky, Maine, and more—to flip the Senate blue on the same night that we defeat Trump.
Inspiring and mobilizing progressive voters to turn out in droves on Election Day. It's not enough to just register voters, those voters need to get excited about the candidates they are voting for and feel that their votes will matter, which is why MoveOn is working on innovative tactics for volunteers to connect with potential voters directly, including sending hundreds of millions of text messages, to make sure they are energized and ready to vote to defeat Trump and the GOP.
Directly raising millions of dollars for inspiring, progressive candidates up and down the ballot. In 2018, MoveOn members came together to donate small amounts that REALLY added up for candidates across the country running bold, progressive campaigns. We'll dial up that program in 2020 to help fuel the campaigns of progressive champions fighting for an agenda to make America a country where everyone can thrive.
Holding pro-Trump lawmakers accountable on impeachment. Grassroots activists (including MoveOn members!) raised more than $1 million so far to help defeat Representative Elise Stefanik in 2020. Stefanik has been undermining the rules, entering false and pointless content into the official record, and maligning Democrats and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff in order to disrupt impeachment hearings. We're planning more hard-hitting tactics to make impeachment an electoral issue. Because Republicans who lie to keep Trump in the White House—or who vote against impeachment in spite of overwhelming evidence—deserve to lose their seats.

There are a few other aspects to our program that we can't announce just yet—including a big, new secret weapon that could make all the difference next year. But in order to run on all cylinders for the next year, we need to close our budget gap by signing up 1,393 new monthly donors by the end of November.

Will you chip in $5 a month to make sure we don't have to make any cuts to our 2020 election program?

Yes, I'll chip in monthly.

Not able to chip in monthly? Click here because MoveOn still needs your help.

Look, these new poll numbers are scary, there is no way around it. But we always knew that this election would be close.

The good news is that the Blue Wave in 2018 and the recent results in places including Virginia, Kansas, and Kentucky have shown that the Resistance is having a real electoral impact.

We will need to work harder than ever before to make sure that impact is definitive in 2020. Are you with us, N.?

Click here to start your $5-a-month donation now.

Not able to chip in monthly? Click here because MoveOn still needs your help.

Thanks for all you do.

–Chris, Kate, Michael, Emily, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "One Year From Election, Trump Trails Biden but Leads Warren in Battlegrounds," The New York Times, November 4, 2019
https://act.moveon.org/go/113142?t=8&ak ... 1%2EKdWvOu

2. "Trump's Electoral College Edge Could Grow in 2020, Rewarding Polarizing Campaign," The New York Times, July 19, 2019
https://act.moveon.org/go/113143?t=10&a ... 1%2EKdWvOu

3. "One Year From Election, Trump Trails Biden but Leads Warren in Battlegrounds," The New York Times, November 4, 2019
https://act.moveon.org/go/113142?t=12&a ... 1%2EKdWvOu

Want to support our work? The MoveOn community will work every moment, day by day and year by year, to resist Trump's agenda, contain the damage, defeat hate with love, and begin the process of swinging the nation's pendulum back toward sanity, decency, and the kind of future that we must never give up on. And to do it we need your ongoing support, now more than ever. Will you stand with us?

Yes, I'll chip in $5 a month.

No, I'm sorry, I can't make a monthly donation. But I can tell you where to stick your propagandoo.

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

You're recieving this email because you took action with MoveOn. MoveOn is where millions mobilize for a better society—one where everyone can thrive. MoveOn members are committed to an inclusive and progressive future. We envision a world marked by equality, sustainability, justice, and love. And we mobilize together to achieve it. MoveOn members are a force for social justice and political progress. We come from all 50 states and all walks of life. Together, we are at once large and nimble, targeting our resources purposefully, yet pivoting quickly as we identify new opportunities for change and mobilize to seize them. Our rapid-response organizing and campaigning, communications interventions, digital innovation, rigorous data science and testing, and culture of grassroots participation have repeatedly combined to produce real-world impact, changing outcomes and making our country better. This email was sent to yomomma on November 20, 2019. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.
As a loyal donkey, my Evil 6th Coujin thought u should all c this. Sorry if not appropriate to do campaigning here, but maybe some might want to see the wonderful use of statistics and fake news.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

How Boeing went from being an engineering-driven to a fiscally-driven company. Shows how the Wall Street/ Ivy League MBA culture is highly destructive. These changes go along with America’s deindustrialization.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... gs/602188/
For about 80 years, Boeing basically functioned as an association of engineers. Its executives held patents, designed wings, spoke the language of engineering and safety as a mother tongue. Finance wasn’t a primary language. Even Boeing’s bean counters didn’t act the part. As late as the mid-’90s, the company’s chief financial officer had minimal contact with Wall Street and answered colleagues’ requests for basic financial data with a curt “Tell them not to worry.”

By the time I visited the company—for Fortune, in 2000—that had begun to change.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Namesake democracy.

Ohio Town Wants To Burn Votes Cast In Anti-Camera Referendum
https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/68/6840.asp

The city of East Liverpool, Ohio, on Monday asked Columbiana County Common Pleas Judge Scott A. Washam to destroy the votes cast by residents on November 5 on the issue of photo enforcement. A citizen-led initiative posed the simple question of whether the city should be prevented from using speed cameras, devices that generate $1 million in annual profit. Just before election day, however, Judge Washam took the unprecedented step of blocking the public from learning the result of their collective choice at the ballot box. Now the city wants the judge to go one step further and ensure the votes never see the light of day.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A_Gupta wrote:How Boeing went from being an engineering-driven to a fiscally-driven company. Shows how the Wall Street/ Ivy League MBA culture is highly destructive. These changes go along with America’s deindustrialization.
They shifted their HQ from Seattle to Chicago. Ought to tell you a lot right there. Recently I saw something completely unrelated to aerospace and it said it was a Boeing operation. Can't remember what, right now. Then again, money-counting and shuffling generate far more wealth than the hard labour of designing and building aerospace systems. Look at Space-X and Tesla. Money generator is Pay-Pal, and he pours the wealth from that into these.
How do you turn a Billionaire into a Thousandaire?
Tell him his technology idea is great!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

People's Republic of Berkeley attack Coulter-Bibi event
A Real American Story: No heroes/heroines: all villains. Popcorn time.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Re: that Boeing article
The standard jibe against an Indian contractor in the text, and a not so clear clarification that the outsourcing had nothing to do with MCAS. What a bunch of entitled jerks.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... nt/602353/
Bribery Is Right There in the Constitution
And “attempted” bribery, even if unsuccessful, is still bribery all the same.
...the Constitution specifically identifies bribery as grounds for impeachment. The Constitution says, “The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.”

Defenders of the president, such as the Fox News host Laura Ingraham, have said that Trump’s actions are, at worst, “attempted bribery,” not bribery itself.
Nor is it possible to tell from the text of the Constitution what the Framers thought the crime included. Unlike treason—the other crime that the Constitution specifically lists as a ground for impeachment—bribery is not defined elsewhere in the Constitution itself.
To understand, then, what those who wrote the Constitution meant by “bribery,” we must look outside the Constitution to the common law—the body of rules that judges develop as they decide cases over time—of the era. It’s clear, based on the books that documented common law in the late 18th century, that it was illegal for an official to solicit a bribe. But these books do not settle whether that behavior qualified as bribery, or whether it was merely attempted bribery. Some books say one thing; some say another. The experts who wrote these books likely did not worry about settling this issue, because any potential difference between bribery and attempted bribery didn’t matter—the classification and punishment for both crimes was the same.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Even Bolton knew it was wrong.
While testifying in the impeachment hearings on Capitol Hill, the White House's former top Russia expert, Fiona Hill, said her boss, former national security adviser John Bolton, instructed her to tell lawyers she was not part of the "drug deal" Gordon Sonland and Mick Mulvaney were "cooking up."
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics ... ot-vpx.cnn
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

A_Gupta ji, the whole shindy ended in a whimper. we are depending on non-proliferation ayatollah Bolton now? dumbasses have gone to Boltons.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

No, just that even with instant Presidential parsons available, Bolton considered the Trump-Giuliani-etc., Ukraine play to be too risky. The rest are too drunk with the power of their king-President to realize that.

PS:
"It's gonna take a dead Russian hooker at the bottom of the Hudson River before Republicans wake up."
- Nicole Wallace 11/21/19
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Another vicious hit job by mainstream dems on Tulsi

Democratic establishment reaches boiling point with Tulsi Gabbard