Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vijayk
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3907
Joined: 22 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vijayk » 24 Jul 2019 01:04

America’s Nationalist Awakening
https://www.wsj.com/articles/americas-n ... 95ce258ebe

Why has such an old idea suddenly become new again? Because progressive government has failed to keep its promises and broken the people’s trust.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 53005
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ramana » 24 Jul 2019 01:22

vijayk wrote:America’s Nationalist Awakening
https://www.wsj.com/articles/americas-n ... 95ce258ebe

Why has such an old idea suddenly become new again? Because progressive government has failed to keep its promises and broken the people’s trust.

Total bokwas. They are rent asunder with rhetoric.
That's what happens when you covet and extract an empire without bearing the price.
You reach a monolith.
What do you do then?

2001 Space Odyssey shows one way.

vijayk
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3907
Joined: 22 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vijayk » 25 Jul 2019 16:10

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... am/592804/
The Economist Who Would Fix the American Dream
No one has done more to dispel the myth of social mobility than Raj Chetty. But he has a plan to make equality of opportunity a reality.


long but interesting read


https://opportunityinsights.org/course/

darshan
BRFite
Posts: 1080
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 26 Jul 2019 04:12

From Tulsi's campaign:

On June 28th, 2019 in the immediate hours following the first Democratic Presidential debate, millions of Americans were searching online for information about Tulsi Gabbard. In fact, according to multiple news reports, Tulsi was the most searched candidate on Google. Then, without any explanation, Google suspended Tulsi’s Google Ads account.

For hours, Tulsi’s campaign advertising account remained offline while Americans everywhere were searching for information about her. During this time, Google obfuscated and dissembled with a series of inconsistent and incoherent reasons for its actions. In the end, Google never explained to us why Tulsi’s account was suspended.

Google controls 88 percent of all internet search in the United States – essentially giving it control over our access to information. That’s one reason why Tulsi has been a vocal proponent of breaking up the tech monopolies. And no matter what the motivation was for doing so, Google’s arbitrary and capricious decision to suspend Tulsi’s Google Ads account during a critical moment in our campaign should be of concern to all political candidates and in fact all Americans. Because if Google can do this to Tulsi, a combat veteran and four term Congresswoman who is running for the nation’s highest office, Google can do this to any candidate, from any party, running for any office in the United States.

Big Tech’s dominance represents a clear and present danger to our democracy. That’s why Tulsi is fighting back, and has filed a lawsuit against Google in federal court. Today’s New York Times reported on the lawsuit filed by our campaign against Google.

Tulsi gave this statement to the NYT: “Google’s discriminatory actions against my campaign are reflective of how dangerous their complete dominance over internet search is, and how the increasing dominance of big tech companies over our public discourse threatens our core American values. This is a threat to free speech, fair elections and to our democracy, and I intend to fight back on behalf of all Americans.”

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3186
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby kit » 26 Jul 2019 04:16

darshan wrote:From Tulsi's campaign:

On June 28th, 2019 in the immediate hours following the first Democratic Presidential debate, millions of Americans were searching online for information about Tulsi Gabbard. In fact, according to multiple news reports, Tulsi was the most searched candidate on Google. Then, without any explanation, Google suspended Tulsi’s Google Ads account.

For hours, Tulsi’s campaign advertising account remained offline while Americans everywhere were searching for information about her. During this time, Google obfuscated and dissembled with a series of inconsistent and incoherent reasons for its actions. In the end, Google never explained to us why Tulsi’s account was suspended.

Google controls 88 percent of all internet search in the United States – essentially giving it control over our access to information. That’s one reason why Tulsi has been a vocal proponent of breaking up the tech monopolies. And no matter what the motivation was for doing so, Google’s arbitrary and capricious decision to suspend Tulsi’s Google Ads account during a critical moment in our campaign should be of concern to all political candidates and in fact all Americans. Because if Google can do this to Tulsi, a combat veteran and four term Congresswoman who is running for the nation’s highest office, Google can do this to any candidate, from any party, running for any office in the United States.

Big Tech’s dominance represents a clear and present danger to our democracy. That’s why Tulsi is fighting back, and has filed a lawsuit against Google in federal court. Today’s New York Times reported on the lawsuit filed by our campaign against Google.

Tulsi gave this statement to the NYT: “Google’s discriminatory actions against my campaign are reflective of how dangerous their complete dominance over internet search is, and how the increasing dominance of big tech companies over our public discourse threatens our core American values. This is a threat to free speech, fair elections and to our democracy, and I intend to fight back on behalf of all Americans.”


Googles intervention in Indian elections has been far from exemplary. Time to localize all data for Indians AND bring tech MNC under control. The amount of data that Facebook mines is incredible.

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3186
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby kit » 26 Jul 2019 04:18

darshan wrote:
darshan wrote:Kissinger report and USAID
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa ... randum_200

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/doclib/2 ... CV0lzNUFcw

I wonder if above angles have been discussed before.


https://digitalcommons.law.seattleu.edu ... l9/iss1/4/
The United States has the power and resources to benefit citizens across the world. Many politicians have embodied this goal. Now it is time to move away from this approach. This article exposes the harm surrounding foreign aid from the United States, poses questions related to the foreign policy decisions of the United States and other world powers, and proposes unique solutions through the lens of environmental racism.


The US is becoming more like a leech on the international nation system rather than being a benign arbitrator.

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3186
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby kit » 26 Jul 2019 04:29

Mort Walker wrote:The S-400 uses active and semi-active radar to lock on to a target. The radar system is phased array and operates at some distance from the launcher in order to have a different location for transmit and receive. This allows for detecting stealth aircraft as the reflected energy is in a different direction. It is most likely C-band (but I'm not sure) and the active radar on board the missile itself is X or Ku band (again not sure).

Turkey's armed forces are close to the US and are part of NATO. In due time both sides will make up and the US will understand how the S-400 works once deliveries to Turkey begin. The issue is more about the US maintaining FMS for its industry. Russia does not have the industrial capacity to produce sufficient S-400 systems in a timely manner before the US develops counter-measures. In the end, the S-400 will be a white elephant. The US will have its hands on it with Turkey and Saudi.

I don't think India should buy it or any US BMD system. It has the capability to make its own. The Chinese will copy the S-400 in large numbers and we'll see it in service with Pak (provided they can figure out the Mandrin instruction manual).



Every system has an obsoletion period. S 500 would be in play by the time the US "counters" it. Even now the S400 can be countered btw, its just it takes significant assets and risks. In the hands of good players, the system is remarkably effective and renders those airspaces impenetrable to NATO/US forces., even passively the system has immense potential !!! .. i do not really think the US would like to fly its 35 s and 22s anywhere near it, or rather the actual counter being talked about is by using the F18 Growler electronic warfare jets. There is indeed a very specific waveform pattern described for the F35 skin and radar like the S400 can be used to glean its signature., once done the trillion-dollar "stealth" is more like the dodo., not quite a happy place to be in ..would it? The US just wants to delay and prevent the spread of the 400 tech however and whatever way it can.

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3663
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Cain Marko » 26 Jul 2019 05:28

^ note also that the s400, like it's predecessors will see periodic upgrades rendering it viable in the long term. The s300s for example have seen constant upgrades and are not the same as what was used in the 70s.

darshan
BRFite
Posts: 1080
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 26 Jul 2019 07:04

It doesn’t take lot of money and chinese have lot.


16 Marines arrested on charges ranging from human smuggling to drug-related offenses
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/16-mari ... ro_related
Earlier this month, two Marines were charged after allegedly trying to smuggle undocumented immigrants for "financial gain," according to court documents from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.

Byron Darnell Law II and David Javier Salazar-Quintero were arrested on July 3 after Border Patrol agents intercepted them transporting three Mexican citizens without immigration documents in their vehicle approximately seven miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border and 20 miles east of the Tecate, California, port of entry. Two of the immigrants later told agents they were going to pay $8,000 to be smuggled into the U.S. with destinations of Los Angeles and New Jersey, officials said.

vijayk
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3907
Joined: 22 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vijayk » 26 Jul 2019 19:40

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... s-own-game
Elizabeth Warren Has a Radical Plan to Beat Trump at His Own Game
After a slow start, she’s gaining momentum by pushing her party to embrace bold, left-wing ideas that could win back the Oval Office—or cost Democrats everything.

He spoke too soon. Since then, Warren has not only put herself into the top tier of Democratic hopefuls but forced the others to follow her lead. Although she missed her star turn at Davos, Warren made the wealth tax the centerpiece of her campaign. It’s part of a fusillade of proposals that are more aggressive, far-reaching—and expensive—than any previous Democratic front-runner would have dared venture: break up big tech companies like Google and Facebook; abolish private health insurance and give everyone Medicare; start a $2 trillion industrial policy built on “economic patriotism” to boost exports; crack down on private equity’s “Wall Street looting”; overhaul corporate governance by putting workers on boards; eliminate the filibuster; cancel student loan debt; and establish free public college and universal child care. Together, Warren’s platform amounts to a giant leap in Democratic ambition—some would say radicalism—that dwarfs the steady but safe achievements of the Clinton and Obama eras.


When the conversation turned to politics and her campaign, Warren snapped into a whole different gear: evangelist for a Democratic revolution. Her wealth tax and all that’s followed is her attempt to apply shock paddles to a party that she believes has lost its way. “You could wake somebody up in the middle of the night and ask them what a Republican stands for, and you’d get pretty consistent answers,” Warren said. “Ask what Democrats stand for, and it’s always a more difficult explanation. That makes it harder to pull people into the fight, because they’re less sure it’s their fight.”

One way to understand her urgency is as the result of a radicalizing moment: Trump’s victory. Four years ago there was talk of a Warren presidential campaign, but she decided not to run, wagering that the best shot to enact her agenda was by working through a powerful Democrat she believed could win—Hillary Clinton. People close to her say Trump’s surprise election left her shocked and filled with regret. “If you went back to 2014 and told Elizabeth that Donald Trump would be elected president as a right-wing populist,” a close adviser told me, “there’s no question she would have run for president.”


BTW Warren's daughter is married to some dude Sushil Tyagi

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 782
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby krishna_krishna » 26 Jul 2019 22:07

This explains the crux of what is happening in us society, basically republicans want to make America white again.

Rest be damned till they have numbers:

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/i ... epage=true

ricky_v
BRFite
Posts: 423
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ricky_v » 27 Jul 2019 22:43

And how would these lawmakers ensure that? by mandating chastity belts and handing over the keys to some official? that horse has bolted a long time back, sexual freedom and a crotch first thinking has taken root so firmly that this can no longer be reversed, white nations can only endure when their women are in agreement, and with the current state of that situation, these guys are either off their meds or are mentally living in the 60's.

darshan
BRFite
Posts: 1080
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 29 Jul 2019 20:56

In-Depth Look at Civil Rights & Politics of Race: It's Not Black and White
https://patriotpost.us/opinion/64570-in ... -and-white

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3743
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 13:06

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby KLNMurthy » 29 Jul 2019 21:50

darshan wrote:In-Depth Look at Civil Rights & Politics of Race: It's Not Black and White
https://patriotpost.us/opinion/64570-in ... -and-white

This is regurgitation of an old and silly argument that, when it comes to racial politics, because Democrats were historically the bad guys, and Republicans were historically the good guys, it means we should consider Democrats as the bad guys and Republicans as good guys today.

It dishonestly leaves out the key fact that, the Liberal faction of the post-WW2 Democratic Party led by men like John Kennedy, and Lyndon Johnson, decided to forcibly take the Democratic party in a pro-civil rights direction, knowing fully well that it would mean their party would be destroyed in the South (so-called Dixiecrats would leave the party), calculating that it was worth it for the good of the country as a whole, and that they can make up the loss by appealing to non-south areas that were moving in a liberal direction.

And that is what happened. Almost overnight, the South left the Democratic Party, the Republican Party embraced racism (Nixon's Southern Strategy) and the formerly Democratic South has remained reliably Republican ever since.

From time to time, the dishonest argument of this article is recycled, knowing that ignorant or semi-educated people will fall for it and circulate it.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 53005
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ramana » 29 Jul 2019 23:10

And only people deluded are Indian who don't know the story

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3743
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 13:06

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby KLNMurthy » 30 Jul 2019 01:52

ramana wrote:And only people deluded are Indian who don't know the story

Not just Indians, lots of born-and-raised Americans fall for it. After all, doing this kind of propaganda would be hardly worthwhile if only Indians are the target.

Put it down to broken education.

Mihaylo
BRFite
Posts: 762
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 21:10

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mihaylo » 30 Jul 2019 02:16

kit wrote:
darshan wrote:
https://digitalcommons.law.seattleu.edu ... l9/iss1/4/
The United States has the power and resources to benefit citizens across the world. Many politicians have embodied this goal. Now it is time to move away from this approach. This article exposes the harm surrounding foreign aid from the United States, poses questions related to the foreign policy decisions of the United States and other world powers, and proposes unique solutions through the lens of environmental racism.


The US is becoming more like a leech on the international nation system rather than being a benign arbitrator.


The US was never a benign arbitrator :roll: . With DT at its helm it it is just peeling off that veneer.

-M

Mihaylo
BRFite
Posts: 762
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 21:10

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mihaylo » 30 Jul 2019 02:26

krishna_krishna wrote:This explains the crux of what is happening in us society, basically republicans want to make America white again.

Rest be damned till they have numbers:

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/i ... epage=true


The Hindu is a far left mouthpiece and any opinion by it should be used to wipe the bottom. The 'Squad' is a far left socialist lunatic bunch whose ideas were in the fringes but is now mainstream. Between Socialism and Racism, I choose Racism to be the lesser evil.

-M

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 782
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby krishna_krishna » 30 Jul 2019 03:10

Mihaylo wrote:
The Hindu is a far left mouthpiece and any opinion by it should be used to wipe the bottom. The 'Squad' is a far left socialist lunatic bunch whose ideas were in the fringes but is now mainstream. Between Socialism and Racism, I choose Racism to be the lesser evil.

-M


I am in no love for “Chindu”, however in this case agree what has been written.

Do you disagree with what is written? On a side note I believe socialism and racism are evil twins.

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3186
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby kit » 30 Jul 2019 03:35

The U.S. and the Balance of Power
The United States is an empire, albeit a reluctant one. So vast are its interests that it is invariably drawn into conflicts, even difficult, faraway conflicts, it might otherwise avoid were it a weaker nation. But the United States cannot involve itself in every situation that impinges on its power; doing so would exhaust its resources and leave it vulnerable to challenges from potential rivals. It will instead use its military, economic and political influence to exploit regional rivalries around the world, rivalries that will keep larger countries consumed with one another rather than unified in their efforts to undermine the United States. Managing the interests of competing powers in volatile regions can be messy business, but such is the business of empire.

source : stratfor

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 782
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby krishna_krishna » 30 Jul 2019 03:44

Kit- it is good article that tries to put reason behind US actions, nothing new however good read to massa pasand block who tries to show India - us as chuddy buddies

vijayk
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3907
Joined: 22 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vijayk » 30 Jul 2019 04:19

Moderators - If this is inappropriate message, please delete.


For all those who are interested, Tulsi Gabbard needs 130,000 independent donors (at least $1 donation) for her to continue to be eligible for debates in September. Only citizens and GC holders can contribute.

Would encourage everyone to propagate this message on FB and other whatsapp groups to help reach the message. She has been a consistent supporter of India in Indian caucus and big advocate of Hindus in US. Make sure to select "Donate once" if you want to donate only once.

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/tulsi ... de=web-nav

Give a brief message on how she has been friend of India and Hindus and request friends/families.

A family of 4 (18 or above) can make 4 independent contributions that will be counted independently as 4 members.

some articles:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ff9ba16cc3

https://reason.com/2019/07/26/tulsi-gab ... ee-speech/

Mihaylo
BRFite
Posts: 762
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 21:10

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mihaylo » 30 Jul 2019 09:02

krishna_krishna wrote:
Mihaylo wrote:
The Hindu is a far left mouthpiece and any opinion by it should be used to wipe the bottom. The 'Squad' is a far left socialist lunatic bunch whose ideas were in the fringes but is now mainstream. Between Socialism and Racism, I choose Racism to be the lesser evil.

-M


I am in no love for “Chindu”, however in this case agree what has been written.

Do you disagree with what is written? On a side note I believe socialism and racism are evil twins.


Don't agree with the article. Are we racist when we say that Muslims who support Pakistan should move to that s*** hole? Are we racist when we say that the Rohingyas and illegal Bangladeshis should be deported?

Regarding the two evils, well there is zero institutional racism in the US, but just by the definition, Socialism is institutional and hence far more dangerous than a hillbilly from Mississippi. In fact I could even argue that blacks, under successive democrat administrations, have fared equally or much worse than under Republican administrations, but then, I would be talking to a wall (pun intended).

-M

Barath
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 55
Joined: 11 Feb 2019 19:06

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Barath » 30 Jul 2019 15:49

Cain Marko wrote:^ note also that the s400, like it's predecessors will see periodic upgrades rendering it viable in the long term. The s300s for example have seen constant upgrades and are not the same as what was used in the 70s.


I have less faith in the Indian defense procurement system providing predictable and regular upgrades to Indian purchases like the S400, than of the S400 having available upgrades

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7687
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 30 Jul 2019 16:02

kit wrote:Every system has an obsoletion period. S 500 would be in play by the time the US "counters" it. Even now the S400 can be countered btw, its just it takes significant assets and risks. In the hands of good players, the system is remarkably effective and renders those airspaces impenetrable to NATO/US forces., even passively the system has immense potential !!! .. i do not really think the US would like to fly its 35 s and 22s anywhere near it, or rather the actual counter being talked about is by using the F18 Growler electronic warfare jets. There is indeed a very specific waveform pattern described for the F35 skin and radar like the S400 can be used to glean its signature., once done the trillion-dollar "stealth" is more like the dodo., not quite a happy place to be in ..would it? The US just wants to delay and prevent the spread of the 400 tech however and whatever way it can.


It's an arms race in one Russia can't win, and not just against the US-NATO, but even against India or China. India needs to have it's own defense industry and so important to build up capability. Russia has never delivered on-time and within budget.


krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 782
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby krishna_krishna » 30 Jul 2019 18:18

^^^You also missed the point equal equal

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 782
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby krishna_krishna » 30 Jul 2019 18:22

Mihaylo wrote:
Regarding the two evils, well there is zero institutional racism in the US, but just by the definition, Socialism is institutional and hence far more dangerous than a hillbilly from Mississippi. In fact I could even argue that blacks, under successive democrat administrations, have fared equally or much worse than under Republican administrations, but then, I would be talking to a wall

-M


I disagree what about POTUS saying that black senators to go back to their ancestors country if that is not institutional bias than you need to look up dictionary.

Look at the prison and conviction stats since Obama times you will see selective institutional bias against minorities and colored.

Mihaylo
BRFite
Posts: 762
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 21:10

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mihaylo » 30 Jul 2019 18:41

krishna_krishna wrote:
Mihaylo wrote:
Regarding the two evils, well there is zero institutional racism in the US, but just by the definition, Socialism is institutional and hence far more dangerous than a hillbilly from Mississippi. In fact I could even argue that blacks, under successive democrat administrations, have fared equally or much worse than under Republican administrations, but then, I would be talking to a wall

-M


I disagree what about POTUS saying that black senators to go back to their ancestors country if that is not institutional bias than you need to look up dictionary.

Look at the prison and conviction stats since Obama times you will see selective institutional bias against minorities and colored.


The prison conviction rates are high because of the 1994 Crime Bill which again was passed during a democrat regime and championed by Biden. It made sure that prisons were filled up with young black men. DT's First Step act seeks to reverse this. It is already successful. Please read up on it if you care. I don't get turned by 'bias'. It is an emotion that cannot be quantified and wholly dependent on the emotions of the other party. What floats my boat are action and facts. Both point to DT and his administration not being any where close to being a racist, in fact quite the opposite.

There is no institutional racism in the states. I repeat none. What DT said was not racism, and people who think that are truly delusional. By that measure, is he racist in saying that Baltimore (along with several democrat held cities) resembles any third world cess pool ? Rep Cummings city took 1.5 billion dollars worth of federal grants and where did all that money go. He is a multi-millionaire on a congressman's salary of around $175k. Wish I saved like him ;)

-M

KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3743
Joined: 17 Aug 2005 13:06

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby KLNMurthy » 30 Jul 2019 20:39

krishna_krishna wrote:
Mihaylo wrote:
The Hindu is a far left mouthpiece and any opinion by it should be used to wipe the bottom. The 'Squad' is a far left socialist lunatic bunch whose ideas were in the fringes but is now mainstream. Between Socialism and Racism, I choose Racism to be the lesser evil.

-M


I am in no love for “Chindu”, however in this case agree what has been written.

Do you disagree with what is written? On a side note I believe socialism and racism are evil twins.

Strange line of thinking to construct a comparison between socialism (broadly meaning government will take over distribution of goods and services) and racism (broadly meaning one dominant "racial" group believes that only they are fully human, and other "racial " groups are subhuman). Two different things in two different universes of human thought.

Mihaylo
BRFite
Posts: 762
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 21:10

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mihaylo » 30 Jul 2019 20:52

KLNMurthy wrote:
krishna_krishna wrote:
I am in no love for “Chindu”, however in this case agree what has been written.

Do you disagree with what is written? On a side note I believe socialism and racism are evil twins.

Strange line of thinking to construct a comparison between socialism (broadly meaning government will take over distribution of goods and services) and racism (broadly meaning one dominant "racial" group believes that only they are fully human, and other "racial " groups are subhuman). Two different things in two different universes of human thought.


Agree, but the argument construct was such and we had to go down that path. By definition, a socialist is prejudiced and hence racist as per the going definition. A racist however, could or could not be a socialist. Just saying. I don't believe DT's actions are racist, however, I do believe the Squad is Socialist and racist as well.

-M

krishna_krishna
BRFite
Posts: 782
Joined: 23 Oct 2006 04:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby krishna_krishna » 30 Jul 2019 21:29

Mihaylo wrote:
There is no institutional racism in the states. I repeat none.
-M


We can agree to disagree however I do not agree with the statement of yours.

There is systematic institutional bias from traffic tickets to all the way up. You can choose to ignore or sugarcoat but it ain’t changing things.

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2723
Joined: 29 Mar 2017 06:37

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ArjunPandit » 30 Jul 2019 22:03

krishna_krishna wrote:
Mihaylo wrote:
There is no institutional racism in the states. I repeat none.
-M


We can agree to disagree however I do not agree with the statement of yours.

There is systematic institutional bias from traffic tickets to all the way up. You can choose to ignore or sugarcoat but it ain’t changing things.

To add to it, it is not peppered with UK style denial or now being apologetic, but with lofty ideals of freedom, rule of law, prayers and god.

Mihaylo
BRFite
Posts: 762
Joined: 09 Nov 2007 21:10

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mihaylo » 30 Jul 2019 22:14

krishna_krishna wrote:
Mihaylo wrote:
There is no institutional racism in the states. I repeat none.
-M


We can agree to disagree however I do not agree with the statement of yours.

There is systematic institutional bias from traffic tickets to all the way up. You can choose to ignore or sugarcoat but it ain’t changing things.


Agree to disagree. However, I will make one last point. I am not an expert on human behaviour which lead to bias nor am I an expert on US criminal justice system that is claimed to be victimizing minorities. However, I will say this, since 9/11 happened, a lot more Muslims or Muslim looking men and women are targeted for 'random' searches around the world before boarding a plane. Do you think it is racism and/or victimization? It is the same analogy.

-M

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3663
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Cain Marko » 30 Jul 2019 23:14

Barath wrote:
Cain Marko wrote:^ note also that the s400, like it's predecessors will see periodic upgrades rendering it viable in the long term. The s300s for example have seen constant upgrades and are not the same as what was used in the 70s.


I have less faith in the Indian defense procurement system providing predictable and regular upgrades to Indian purchases like the S400, than of the S400 having available upgrades

That is a different issue and one of concern. However, a lot can depend upon the contracts signed. For example, the MKI saw stagewise upgrades though it's life. Second, upgrades are contingent upon threat analysis and are likely when the enemy is close to something that will circumvent existing defences, and for this to happen in the case of the s400, it will be some time.

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3663
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Cain Marko » 01 Aug 2019 09:22

Whoa just saw Tulsi take down Kamala Harris. Phew. That was Savage. Google trends showing Tulsi is kicking butt.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Cfp_IIdVnXs[/youtube]

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7687
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 01 Aug 2019 09:54

Cain Marko wrote:Whoa just saw Tulsi take down Kamala Harris. Phew. That was Savage. Google trends showing Tulsi is kicking butt.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Cfp_IIdVnXs[/youtube]


Only Tulsi or Biden can beat The Donald come Nov. 2020. The rest of them will lose badly.

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3663
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Cain Marko » 01 Aug 2019 10:26

^ Biden? What gives?

Vikas
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6061
Joined: 03 Dec 2005 02:40
Location: Where DST doesn't bother me
Contact:

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Vikas » 01 Aug 2019 15:29

^ Tulsi hasn't been on DT's radar yet. Biden probably will not even win nomination next summer.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7687
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 01 Aug 2019 17:29

Whites will vote for Biden over Trump. DT knows this and he’s in the process of consolidating the white vote. If 1% more white voters come out to vote, outside of the east and west coasts, then DT wins. Look at the demographics. Biden will split this increase in white votes.


Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kPrakash, tandav and 67 guests