Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
komal
BRFite
Posts: 459
Joined: 29 Oct 2007 14:47

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby komal » 26 Sep 2019 22:15

Mort Walker wrote:^^^If one doesn’t look at the what the Treasury rates are over time, you can draw your own biased conclusions and call them as facts.


From your own source, Tsy 10 Year was at 2.45 in Jan 2017 and the Tsy 10Y was 1.73 last week. In your world, that is an increase. In my biased conclusion, I would call that a decrease (and a substantial one at that).

{Deleted}
Last edited by Suraj on 26 Sep 2019 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cut the namecalling out.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12846
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Suraj » 26 Sep 2019 22:24

Folks, tiresome US political namecalling here is a very good way to get yourselves banned. Kindly check the upper left corner of the page to remind yourself where you are, and what values the site reflects.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7812
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 26 Sep 2019 22:27

^^^The rates fluctuate. They have been up recently and back down. Again, the Fed setting interest rates low to keep US debt servicing low is problematic, but to blame this on Trump is a stretch. I do agree that the federal deficit and spending are too high and unsustainable. Conflating the trade war with Treasury yields and the repo rate as policy is wrong.

ShyamSP
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2303
Joined: 06 Mar 2002 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ShyamSP » 26 Sep 2019 22:50

Mort Walker wrote:^^^The rates fluctuate. They have been up recently and back down. Again, the Fed setting interest rates low to keep US debt servicing low is problematic, but to blame this on Trump is a stretch. I do agree that the federal deficit and spending are too high and unsustainable. Conflating the trade war with Treasury yields and the repo rate as policy is wrong.


As long as countries want to sweat and make items to earn paper $s whether printed on quality paper or toilet paper, US can continue to print. When US economy is supposedly doing great, cutting interest rates mean there is something wrong in underlying economy which got exposed recently when Fed pumped more money to keep banks books look good. Time is ripe for some kind of reset in terms of small recession.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7812
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 26 Sep 2019 23:00

^^^At this time in history that toilet paper happens to be the international trading currency.

komal
BRFite
Posts: 459
Joined: 29 Oct 2007 14:47

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby komal » 26 Sep 2019 23:32

POST DELETEd
Last edited by komal on 27 Sep 2019 04:54, edited 1 time in total.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 53203
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ramana » 27 Sep 2019 01:00

Mort Walker wrote:^^^At this time in history that toilet paper happens to be the international trading currency.


Little Greta Thuneberg wants to take that away too!

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 53203
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ramana » 27 Sep 2019 01:09

A_Gupta wrote:The American system is rather different from the parliamentary system of India. So e.g., the US Federal Government cannot force the reorganization of a US state like the Indian Parliament did with J&K.

In the current legal interpretation of the US Constitution and laws by the Department of Justice, the President cannot be indicted for any wrongdoing while he is in office. The only remedy to wrongdoing by the President is impeachment. Impeachment is primarily a political process not a legal one. The result is that the President has a very wide latitude to do wrong or disgrace his office until there is sufficient political will to impeach him.

The US system really relies on the almost unfettered powers of a President with the assumption that he is of good character. As long as that assumption is true, not being bound by rules and regulations is a good thing. Anyway, the point is that it is a different system with different norms and is not always easy to understand.

...


The founding fathers wanted a benevolent Roman Emperor (Marcus Aurelius) and to ensure no monarchy they preferred two terms by agreement. FDR broke the agreement in WWII and got elected for three terms. Soon after the war two term limit was put in the Constitution. Just in case they also put in power to impeach with Representatives and actual impeachment by Senators only. This ensures no Praetorian coup. Besides many former Army officers have been elected President since George Washington.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7812
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 27 Sep 2019 03:33

^^^US Grant and Dwight Eisenhower come to mind immediately.
That’s 3/45.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7812
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 27 Sep 2019 03:41

komal wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:^^^The rates fluctuate. They have been up recently and back down. Again, the Fed setting interest rates low to keep US debt servicing low is problematic, but to blame this on Trump is a stretch. I do agree that the federal deficit and spending are too high and unsustainable. Conflating the trade war with Treasury yields and the repo rate as policy is wrong.



DT, trade war, Treasury yields, and what is happening in the repo markets are all unrelated. Who can argue with that.

:rotfl:


Your attempt to draw linkage with trade war is weak. Most US treasuries are bought by institutional investors and then by external entities. Whatever suits your political narrative, please stick with it because it reflects a flawed ideology.

komal
BRFite
Posts: 459
Joined: 29 Oct 2007 14:47

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby komal » 27 Sep 2019 04:28

POST DELETED
Last edited by komal on 27 Sep 2019 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12846
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Suraj » 27 Sep 2019 04:36

komal wrote:^
Fascinating to see the posts by those supporting this administration. Alas, for them, those of in the real world have to face the consequences of the actions of this Presidency.

I'll warn you once again - this thread has NOTHING to do with supporting or opposing a US administration. It also has nothing to do with your or anyone else's real world consequences of someone supporting an administration.

This is NOT a Republican vs Democrat or Trump vs someone else thread, at all. Whether you support one or the other is irrelevant to the thread, because you're only teaching us your own preferences. Whether someone else supports or opposes the same parties as you, is also irrelevant.

This thread is not a venue for you to argue with your own US political opponents. Not even in polite language, and certainly not using ad hominems like you did earlier.

Why is this so hard to understand ?

komal
BRFite
Posts: 459
Joined: 29 Oct 2007 14:47

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby komal » 27 Sep 2019 04:52

Have deleted all posts that I am able to delete. I misunderstood. I thought this thread was aobut "Understanding the US - Again". The U. S. money markets seized this week and was trying to offer an explanation to those interested in such matters. The impact on India is also not insignificant.

Apologize sincerely if I offended anyone's sentiments.

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie
Posts: 11422
Joined: 23 Oct 2001 11:31
Contact:

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby A_Gupta » 27 Sep 2019 05:01

komal wrote:Have deleted all posts that I am able to delete. I misunderstood. I thought this thread was aobut "Understanding the US - Again". The U. S. money markets seized this week and was trying to offer an explanation to those interested in such matters. The impact on India is also not insignificant.

Apologize sincerely if I offended anyone's sentiments.


The content of your posts, describing the money market seize-up was good. You turned it into partisan post with stuff like "Fascinating to see the posts by those supporting this administration."

I for one would be interested in hearing the impact of the US money market problems on India. Just keep it non-partisan.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7812
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 27 Sep 2019 05:40

Here’s a recent article from the NYT about the repo rate. They would definitely blame one political party and the executive branch if it were the cause.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/busi ... rates.html

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 53203
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ramana » 27 Sep 2019 06:07

Mort Walker wrote:^^^US Grant and Dwight Eisenhower come to mind immediately.
That’s 3/45.


Andrew Jackson

Zachary Taylor


Besides many had military service.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12846
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Suraj » 27 Sep 2019 11:24

komal wrote:Have deleted all posts that I am able to delete. I misunderstood. I thought this thread was aobut "Understanding the US - Again". The U. S. money markets seized this week and was trying to offer an explanation to those interested in such matters. The impact on India is also not insignificant.

Let me try to be constructive here, because I think you're capable of better commentary, despite multiple posts comprising lame political namecalling ilke 'goopers' and 'trumpers'. You're aware you sound rather funny when you then say 'sorry if I offended sentiments' ? There's no 'if' involved - you broke forum rules, and were censured for it, multiple times!

You didn't actually offer useful explanation. In between accusing those who didn't agree with you of being politically partisan, you simply argued "the economy is down because of DT's actions" . This is not a high value piece of information. A multiple trillion $ economy is the sum of a large number of moving parts. People have trouble even today trying to identify one particular reason that triggered the Great Depression, and even in that case, there were several things that contributed in different ways.

What would be useful information is details and background of US specific economic procedures and actions - like the plunge protection team (who's on it ? when do they meet ? what's their remit ?), data about the composition of the US treasury buyers, and more. Rest assured, a modern economy is an extremely complex beast and something as facile as 'it's that guys fault' doesn't really offer much understanding. Meanwhile, please leave your US political affiliation at the door like proverbial footwear - it has no bearing upon this thread.

vimal
BRFite
Posts: 278
Joined: 27 Jul 2017 10:32

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vimal » 27 Sep 2019 12:27

Ok folks now this is just open declaration of war by the turds at TYT network against Modi and Tulsi.
Time to go out full swing report and downvote the heck out of this video till it just sinks.
Report as hate speech and fake news.

xxxxx Tied To RADICAL Right-Wing blah blahhhhh



A_Gupta
BRF Oldie
Posts: 11422
Joined: 23 Oct 2001 11:31
Contact:

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby A_Gupta » 27 Sep 2019 17:46

Average Annual Deductibles Now at $1,655, Double the Average of a Decade Ago

San Francisco. – Annual family premiums for employer-sponsored health insurance rose 5% to average $20,576 this year, according to the 2019 benchmark KFF Employer Health Benefits Survey released today. Workers’ wages rose 3.4% and inflation rose 2% over the same period.

On average, workers this year are contributing $6,015 toward the cost of family coverage, with employers paying the rest.

Despite the nation’s strong economy and low unemployment, what employers and workers pay toward premiums continues to rise more quickly than workers’ wages and inflation over time. Since 2009, average family premiums have increased 54% and workers’ contribution have increased 71%, several times more quickly than wages (26%) and inflation (20%).


https://www.kff.org/health-costs/press- ... top-20000/

Image

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 53203
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ramana » 28 Sep 2019 10:57


UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12360
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby UlanBatori » 28 Sep 2019 16:26

Wish someone would say this to lawmakers in other lands as well ...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... -politics/

Not commenting on the specific issues (neither was The Chair) but this "respect" thing has gone way too far, and is usually raised by ppl whose actions earn no respect. The witless did raise a good point. OTOH the Chair was grossly wasting time with her long-winded explanations of how seconds were added to the time of this or that COTUSPANEList.

OTOH, if you think back to the exchange between Lewandowski and the COTUSPANEL... the attitude of these guys towards lawmakers who are not of One Color, is quite in need of attitude-adjustment, big-time. Neither would say what they said to lawmakers of One Color.

On yet another aspect: OVER 50K ppl are in detention for border-crossing tamashas. Where are the :(( articles in the UQ Guardian about that?

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7812
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 28 Sep 2019 18:02



The MEA may need to issue a travel advisory or warning on travel to the US. As US election rhetoric rises, violence against people from India and Indian origin persons will only increase.

JE Menon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7023
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby JE Menon » 28 Sep 2019 19:00

sudeepj wrote:
darshan wrote:CAIR shows up at everything where there's any hate crime whether muslim or not.

What if Hinduphobia starts piggybacking islamophobia and returns the favor? Let CAIR spend money and setup stages like following and learned entities raise hand and ask but what about Hinduphobia


Slowik: Peace activists hold forum on Islamophobia and other forms of hate
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html


I dont understand Hindus thinking they are so strong in the public arena.. Reality is, CAIR/ISNA are outspending us thousand times to one. They have tens of lawyers on staff.. Even Khalistanis are better off at community organization and pushing/pulling the levers of democratic politics than Hindus.


And yet we are where we are. Someone somewhere is doing some serious research into how we managed that.

g.sarkar
BRFite
Posts: 1991
Joined: 09 Jul 2005 12:22
Location: MERCED, California

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby g.sarkar » 28 Sep 2019 22:04

https://heavy.com/news/2019/09/sandeep-dhaliwal/
Deputy Sandeep Dhaliwal: A Tribute to the Harris County Officer
By Jessica McBride
Updated Sep 28, 2019.
Deputy Sandeep Dhaliwal, the Harris County Texas Sheriff’s Deputy who was killed in the line of duty during a traffic stop, made a historical first on the department when he was allowed to wear his turban on patrol because of his Sikh religion.
“Deputy Dhaliwal is known to everybody as someone with a giving heart,” the sheriff, Ed Gonzalez, said in a news conference. He was the “first member of the Sikh community to become a Harris County Sheriff’s Deputy. He wore the turban. He represented his community with integrity, respect and pride and… he was respected by all.”
Dhaliwal’s death left the department and community heartbroken, as he was remembered as a trailblazing law enforcement officer who was dedicated to service. Authorities say that Dhaliwal was “ambushed” by a suspect with a violent criminal history who ran up behind him during a traffic stop.
......
Gautam

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7812
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 28 Sep 2019 22:25

^^^Has the killer been caught? I can’t tell from the news reports.

Nalla Baalu
BRFite
Posts: 119
Joined: 24 Aug 2006 07:16
Location: Yerramandi, Dhoolpeta

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Nalla Baalu » 28 Sep 2019 22:47

Yes, according to the news reports, pepetrator was nabbed later that afternoon.

Mort Walker wrote:^^^Has the killer been caught? I can’t tell from the news reports.

g.sarkar
BRFite
Posts: 1991
Joined: 09 Jul 2005 12:22
Location: MERCED, California

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby g.sarkar » 28 Sep 2019 22:58

Nalla Baalu wrote:Yes, according to the news reports, pepetrator was nabbed later that afternoon.
Mort Walker wrote:^^^Has the killer been caught? I can’t tell from the news reports.

And you know what happens to cop killers in Texas.
Gautam

ricky_v
BRFite
Posts: 428
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ricky_v » 28 Sep 2019 23:42

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/atheism-fastest-growing-religion-us/598843/
This story begins with the rise of the religious right in the 1970s. Alarmed by the spread of secular culture—including but not limited to the sexual revolution, the Roe v. Wade decision, the nationalization of no-fault divorce laws, and Bob Jones University losing its tax-exempt status over its ban on interracial dating—Christians became more politically active. The GOP welcomed them with open arms. The party, which was becoming more dependent on its exurban-white base, needed a grassroots strategy and a policy platform. Within the next decade, the religious right—including Ralph Reed’s Christian Coalition, James Dobson’s Focus on the Family, and Jerry Falwell’s Moral Majority—had become fundraising and organizing juggernauts for the Republican Party. In 1980, the GOP social platform was a facsimile of conservative Christian views on sexuality, abortion, and school prayer.

The undercurrents in weimar 2.0 are interesting indeed and it always bears to understand the genesis of the situation at hand. A question i would like to pose to the members is, why is understanding the us important? maybe in the past when this thread was envisaged it was clearer, though i do not know if the original charter included pointless political waffle thrown in with news of indian-americans; allthough these are great, they may not actually help us understand the nation. We know that the land of cowboys and wagoneers loves shooting, be they blanks inside horses or live at humans, but such is not a recent phenomena, irrsepective of the victims fitzpatrick score.
This literal wh*re of babylon needs to be understood for the simple reason that if its degeneracy and mind programming are not stopped,we are all looking at a miserable and soulless future, a hell on earth if you will. For the indian msm and the "trend-setters" love nothing more than to ape the hanger-ons of the western society, and the internal culture is too stilted and removed from the core to make a run for any sort of alternate worldview, that is, unless you include the noble calling of stalking. Thus, the majority remain in stasis alternatively craving and loathing the gaudiness of the western cultural banquet and to ease this fetish it is necessary to highlight every now and then the type of freedom and bravery on offer from the common mendez or shannequia, and the prevalance of the cultural ethos and worldview.
Our numbers are never going to be so great that we become a major player aside from being mr. moneybags. The jews are operating on a different league because of indoctination of kids in holocaust classes, and incidents like uss liberty are simple ignored. With so much of self guilt and hatred, every one becomes a zionist goy, a soldier in the service of israel and you simply cannot match that much matrix.
The latams will keep crossing borders in droves no matter the dimensions of physical structures in their path and the blacks are also there in huge numbers, it is to them that the estados will belong for their sheer numbers and breeding proclivity.At best the indian community may have power in a brazil type mulatto situation,but then again that is where the world is headed.

Rudradev
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3478
Joined: 06 Apr 2003 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Rudradev » 29 Sep 2019 01:56

Mort Walker wrote:^^^Has the killer been caught? I can’t tell from the news reports.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/28/wanted-pa ... -in-texas/

Robert Solis, age 47

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3737
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Cain Marko » 29 Sep 2019 06:59

JE Menon wrote:
sudeepj wrote:
I dont understand Hindus thinking they are so strong in the public arena.. Reality is, CAIR/ISNA are outspending us thousand times to one. They have tens of lawyers on staff.. Even Khalistanis are better off at community organization and pushing/pulling the levers of democratic politics than Hindus.


And yet we are where we are. Someone somewhere is doing some serious research into how we managed that.

How come Indians despite being such rich community in the is so easily outspent?

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12360
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby UlanBatori » 29 Sep 2019 07:47

That's why desis are rich. They don't waste money on stuff that they don't have to pay.

Y. Kanan
BRFite
Posts: 744
Joined: 27 Mar 2003 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Y. Kanan » 29 Sep 2019 12:13

ricky_v wrote:https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/atheism-fastest-growing-religion-us/598843/
This story begins with the rise of the religious right in the 1970s. Alarmed by the spread of secular culture—including but not limited to the sexual revolution, the Roe v. Wade decision, the nationalization of no-fault divorce laws, and Bob Jones University losing its tax-exempt status over its ban on interracial dating—Christians became more politically active. The GOP welcomed them with open arms. The party, which was becoming more dependent on its exurban-white base, needed a grassroots strategy and a policy platform. Within the next decade, the religious right—including Ralph Reed’s Christian Coalition, James Dobson’s Focus on the Family, and Jerry Falwell’s Moral Majority—had become fundraising and organizing juggernauts for the Republican Party. In 1980, the GOP social platform was a facsimile of conservative Christian views on sexuality, abortion, and school prayer.

The undercurrents in weimar 2.0 are interesting indeed and it always bears to understand the genesis of the situation at hand. A question i would like to pose to the members is, why is understanding the us important? maybe in the past when this thread was envisaged it was clearer, though i do not know if the original charter included pointless political waffle thrown in with news of indian-americans; allthough these are great, they may not actually help us understand the nation. We know that the land of cowboys and wagoneers loves shooting, be they blanks inside horses or live at humans, but such is not a recent phenomena, irrsepective of the victims fitzpatrick score.
This literal wh*re of babylon needs to be understood for the simple reason that if its degeneracy and mind programming are not stopped,we are all looking at a miserable and soulless future, a hell on earth if you will. For the indian msm and the "trend-setters" love nothing more than to ape the hanger-ons of the western society, and the internal culture is too stilted and removed from the core to make a run for any sort of alternate worldview, that is, unless you include the noble calling of stalking. Thus, the majority remain in stasis alternatively craving and loathing the gaudiness of the western cultural banquet and to ease this fetish it is necessary to highlight every now and then the type of freedom and bravery on offer from the common mendez or shannequia, and the prevalance of the cultural ethos and worldview.
Our numbers are never going to be so great that we become a major player aside from being mr. moneybags. The jews are operating on a different league because of indoctination of kids in holocaust classes, and incidents like uss liberty are simple ignored. With so much of self guilt and hatred, every one becomes a zionist goy, a soldier in the service of israel and you simply cannot match that much matrix.
The latams will keep crossing borders in droves no matter the dimensions of physical structures in their path and the blacks are also there in huge numbers, it is to them that the estados will belong for their sheer numbers and breeding proclivity.At best the indian community may have power in a brazil type mulatto situation,but then again that is where the world is headed.


Agreed. Having lived in the US for some time, I also wonder what's the utility of "understanding the US". Trust me, this is a dying culture that we do not need to be emulating. We Indians in general need to get over this fascination with America. Besides, for our part the only entities we need to understand are the ones running US foreign policy. Ignore the noise (politics, social issues, etc). US foreign policy is completely separate from whatever the prevailing politics are. The entities that control US foreign policy are going to get their way regardless of what party controls Congress or what president sits in the White House. This has always been true but was clearly demonstrated in 2017 when, just weeks after being sworn in, Trump reversed his strident opposition to the Syrian intervention and ordered air strikes. Even the mighty ego of Donald Trump was no match for the Deep State. Who are the Deep State, you ask? I would say for America the Deep State is their own military industrial complex, the intelligence community (Cold Warriors), their own global energy companies, the Jew Lobby, and the Saudi lobby. These entities basically call all the shots, at least in terms of foreign policy. Notice I'm completely ignoring public opinion and political parties here.

A lot like how Pakistan is run by the ISI, the military, and the imams while politicians are largely ignored.

ricky_v
BRFite
Posts: 428
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ricky_v » 29 Sep 2019 13:25

Y. Kanan wrote:Agreed. Having lived in the US for some time, I also wonder what's the utility of "understanding the US". Trust me, this is a dying culture that we do not need to be emulating. We Indians in general need to get over this fascination with America. Besides, for our part the only entities we need to understand are the ones running US foreign policy. Ignore the noise (politics, social issues, etc). US foreign policy is completely separate from whatever the prevailing politics are. The entities that control US foreign policy are going to get their way regardless of what party controls Congress or what president sits in the White House. This has always been true but was clearly demonstrated in 2017 when, just weeks after being sworn in, Trump reversed his strident opposition to the Syrian intervention and ordered air strikes. Even the mighty ego of Donald Trump was no match for the Deep State. Who are the Deep State, you ask? I would say for America the Deep State is their own military industrial complex, the intelligence community (Cold Warriors), their own global energy companies, the Jew Lobby, and the Saudi lobby. These entities basically call all the shots, at least in terms of foreign policy. Notice I'm completely ignoring public opinion and political parties here.

A lot like how Pakistan is run by the ISI, the military, and the imams while politicians are largely ignored.

Agreed sir and i would like to expand on this line of reasoning. The functionaries of the deep state have a remarkable conitnuity in thought and action, and that could be attributed to the similar upbringing and background, but what happens when the diversity hires and the perpetually oppressed ascend to power? Surely there is no sop or manual on how to defraud nations and your own people for a few shekles more. Might not their own racial memory guide them towards some counter course of action, or when the post 9-11 public assume office, will there be continuity in thought? That crowd grew up amidst rallies and counter-protests, and vacillated between extereme hatred towards one government from their elders, and slavish fawning towards another. Or the christian apologists who have the image of their highest priest slobbering over illegal's feet,will they too continue to wage war on humanity for oil?

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie
Posts: 11422
Joined: 23 Oct 2001 11:31
Contact:

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby A_Gupta » 29 Sep 2019 22:25

The question is asked: what's the utility of "understanding the US"?

1. It helps reduce the mindshare of America among Indians to the right proportions.

2. Like it or not, the US is and will remain a superpower for a while, and if Indians better understand the internal political compulsions in the US, they will better understand US foreign policy.

3. If the then rajas of northern India understood better the thinking of Sabuktigin and his son, Mahmud of Ghazni; had studied Islam more deeply, perhaps some disasters would have been averted. A Bharat Rakshak has to be aware of the world and eventually cognizant of even remote-chance-of-emerging-threats so that the aam janata need not be.

I'm sure someone back whenever could have equally said - "this culture to our west is not one worth emulating. Why pay attention to it, why try to understand it?" Sadly the same thing I see even today, when India's Sanskritists tell Rajiv Malhotra, "why should I pay attention to Sheldon Pollock? time would be better spent in doing sandhyavandanam". Then people get shocked when Romila Thapar writes "In the Mahabharata, Yudhisthira probably had Ashoka's remorse over Kalinga in mind", and will be even more shocked when it gets into the Indian textbooks because "this culture to the west is irrelevant". In brief, a whole theory is being pushed that Ramayana, Mahabharata were written to impose brahminical power on the Buddhists that Indians were. Resist it now, or rage futilely like today after the Aryan-Dravidian divide has taken firm roots in Tamil Nadu.

If you say "Harvard, Yale has no power over us", no doubt did people feel about German Oriental Society, Royal Asiatic Society, etc.,e tc.

This is IMO, if we want the type of discussion that appears in the comments sections of the news-media, we can abolish BRF as pointless. IMO, the whole purpose of BRF is to raise the level of world-awareness and strategic thinking.

ricky_v
BRFite
Posts: 428
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ricky_v » 29 Sep 2019 22:35

Sir, i stated that understanding of the us cannot be achieved by the political discourse of parties that is more akin to bread-and-circus,nor by posting atrocity literature of one particular community; but the question yet stands, what is the end goal of this thread, to remove blinkers from the eyes of naive indians,and to utilize the knowledge to forment spring revolutions in the land of make believe? or to discourse endlessly about how bad the elephant man is or how the donkeys are the messiahs pony?

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12360
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby UlanBatori » 29 Sep 2019 23:19

Who are the Deep State, you ask? I would say for America the Deep State is their own military industrial complex, the intelligence community (Cold Warriors), their own global energy companies, the Jew Lobby, and the Saudi lobby. These entities basically call all the shots, at least in terms of foreign policy. Notice I'm completely ignoring public opinion and political parties here.

I wonder this myself. Exactly how does this work? Red phone in Ovary Office (so named after POTUS Clinton I) rings 3 times in quick succession. Signal as given in the Orientation Manual For New POTUSes, for Deep State.

Shivering voice: "Hello Ddddonnaldd ttrumppp sssppppeeeeking. How may I kiss your ass Sssir?"
Deep Voice. "Attention! This is on Need2Know Basis. In 30 seconds, a Marine is going to walk in carrying a form to sign, authorizing air strikes on Syria. Sign it."

DT does as ordered. I mean how does Deep State convey its orders so they are unmistakeable? Surely not by sending an email asking:
"Free?" Followed by:
"Go to the nearest WalMart and buy cash cards worth $5B. When I call in 2 hours, better read the numbers out to me. You have 119 minutes."

Sorry that would be our friend the Retired Nigerian Emperor whose brother the Field Marshal left him $50B in a bank account, to be transferred to me.
Maybe as part of the Inauguration they get hypnotized.

Rony
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2419
Joined: 14 Jul 2006 23:29

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Rony » 29 Sep 2019 23:51

Stephen Miller on the whistleblower being a deep state operative . Listen from 2.36

Chris, I've worked in the federal government now for nearly 3 years. I know what the deep state looks like. I know the difference between a whistleblower and a deep state operative. This is a deep state operative pure and simple. People who haven't been in the Federal government, who never worked in the white house may not appreciate this but the situation is you have a group of unelected bureaucrats who think they need to take down this president. I attend inter-agency meeting, Chris, I know for a certain fact that if i dont invite the right people, the meeting will leak.If i dont say the right thing, they go to the Hill. If we propose a policy idea that they dont approve off, they work with the Democrats to block it. They leak this President's phone calls, they publish hit pieces, they publish fake stories. They been doing this continuously for nearly three years and their motives and their agenda is clear. This is about do you want a democracy in this country or do you want a deep state. Its a binary choice for the American people.




Rony
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2419
Joined: 14 Jul 2006 23:29

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Rony » 30 Sep 2019 00:27

Some Trumpians say they no longer are watching Fox because "its further sliding to the left". The new Trumpian channel is One America News network (OANN).

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12360
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby UlanBatori » 30 Sep 2019 01:25

My question is how one gets paid for being a Deep State Operative (DSO). Let's say Abdul Bin Kabul, the famous Liberal, signs 20 Petitions from the Deep State's Change.org. Along with Weigh Poo, Semily Terait and the other Unknown Soldiers who have fought incessantly for nearly 20 years to bring the DS to the brink of Global Dominance. How do they get paid? Anonymous cheque? Email from the Nigerian Field Marshal?

I would be perfectly happy with a slight favor: Pick my Ulan Bator PowerBall number next Wednesday.

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10115
Joined: 20 Jun 2011 04:36

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Vayutuvan » 30 Sep 2019 01:38

A_Gupta wrote:The question is asked: what's the utility of "understanding the US"?
...
2. Like it or not, the US is and will remain a superpower for a while, and if Indians better understand the internal political compulsions in the US, they will better understand US foreign policy.


Excellent. I will add an extension to your point 2 - We need to go further and understand any faultlines so that they can be exploited as and when needed.


Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bart S, Gautam_2, saip, UlanBatori and 76 guests