Understanding the US - Again

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2945
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 25 Sep 2020 07:39

Muslim PAC withholds endorsement in Fort Bend County congressional race
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/suga ... 595600.php
Emgage PAC, a bi-partisan group that many consider to be the largest Muslim political action committee in the U.S., recently announced they will not offer an endorsement in District 22.

Democratic congressional candidate Sri Preston Kulkarni nor his Republican opponent Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls will receive an endorsement in the upcoming November election. The candidates are seeking to replace Congressman Pete Olson as the House District 22 Representative, a seat which includes a large portion of Fort Bend County.

Olson, who announced he was retiring earlier this year, defeated Kulkarni in a hard-fought campaign during the 2018 election, during which time Emgage PAC offered Kulkari their support. Since then, group officials decided things had apparently changed.

“After careful consideration, we have decided not to make an endorsement in this race as we believe neither candidate is sufficiently aligned with the interests and values of the Texas Muslim community,” Emgage officials said in a release posted online.
....

darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2945
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 25 Sep 2020 08:06

https://www.scottsdale.org/city_news/bo ... b3b36.html
....
In another post from January, Angelos, a military veteran, wrote “I have worked and live (sic) among them for 7 years in their own countries and Christian Judea principles are not what they follow. WE THE PEOPLE are the infidels in their mindsets (even in our own country). Under their SHARIA LAW we are expendable.”

The posts have since been deleted from her personal Facebook page or hidden behind privacy filters.

Angelos told the Progress “I will not apologize for any of this; I’m willing to explain my position and that’s as far as I’ll go.”

“I don’t see why my comments are so wrong when they’re trying to literally do away with the country as we know it,” Angelos added.
....

UBanerjee
BRFite
Posts: 516
Joined: 20 Mar 2011 01:41
Location: Washington DC

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby UBanerjee » 25 Sep 2020 12:40

We cannot allow the USA to play divide-and-conquer with Asia.

Asia is the heartland of the 21st century. We cannot allow USA vs Asia to play out like England vs. Europe.

darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2945
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 27 Sep 2020 23:45

Has Sri ever talked about what Hindus have gone through or are going through? Grooming by islamists problem has been going on in Houston area for 2+ decades. Continuation of hit jobs for failure to talk about all atrocities committed on Hindus whether by Europeans or islamic invaders. Try to dance on a rope like a politician and you would be chewed up by islamists.

Kulkarni loses both the worlds, Hindu and Muslim votes

https://fbindependent.com/kulkarni-lose ... 4341-1.htm


For Hindus, they should be supporting anyone that's not liked by Emgage islamists.

vijayk
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4833
Joined: 22 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vijayk » 29 Sep 2020 04:55

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/cas ... ct-veritas
'Cash-For-Ballots' Fraud Uncovered In Ilhan Omar's Minnesota District: Veritas


https://twitter.com/i/status/1310383750040219649


darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2945
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 29 Sep 2020 23:32

This is an interesting election for sure. I have had my cell phone number for almost 20 years. However, for past one month I have been receiving text messages to support Biden campaign from multiple different states and being associated with multiple different Indian names (both male and female). I have never registered as a voter in any of this states or had any presence. I haven't seen this before for other elections. And, I don't even frequent Democrat joints.

achit
BRFite
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Feb 2005 20:07
Location: USA

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby achit » 30 Sep 2020 01:20

darshan wrote:This is an interesting election for sure. I have had my cell phone number for almost 20 years. However, for past one month I have been receiving text messages to support Biden campaign from multiple different states and being associated with multiple different Indian names (both male and female). I have never registered as a voter in any of this states or had any presence. I haven't seen this before for other elections. And, I don't even frequent Democrat joints.


Same experience here. Although I live in mid-west now, I have my phone number from California days. I am not sure why but I am getting Spanish text messages to vote for Biden!

Ambar
BRFite
Posts: 1571
Joined: 12 Jun 2010 09:56
Location: Weak meek unkil Sam!

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Ambar » 30 Sep 2020 01:41

Deleted
Last edited by Suraj on 30 Sep 2020 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BRF isn't the place to discuss US elections.

vimal
BRFite
Posts: 612
Joined: 27 Jul 2017 10:32

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vimal » 30 Sep 2020 08:57

What exactly is this thread for? Elections reveal a lot about a nation and I think we should discuss it here.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13696
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Suraj » 30 Sep 2020 10:47

The thread is to express your understanding of the country. Of course the elections are the biggest story of the next month. Distil the situation down to its impact on the nation, stripping away all the mundane details anyone can get off any website of choice.

Examples:
- you see people in your neighborhood who have long been partial one way, switching to another perspective
- you notice an increasing divergence between the world views of younger and older generations. Perhaps the youth have much greeter hope, or much less
- you notice far greater or lesser bhaichara, between certain segments of population, or between races, or between people and police, or any such thing.

Fundamentally this thread calls upon posters to contemplate what they see or experience or learn in third person that is revealing about the state of the society. It is not a setting to feed the appetite for news.

Discussion of the elections on the other hand is a pointless waste of mod resources here. It offers nothing that anyone can’t get off their syndicated news feed .

Dileep
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5850
Joined: 04 Apr 2005 08:17
Location: Dera Mahab Ali धरा महाबलिस्याः درا مهاب الي

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Dileep » 30 Sep 2020 13:11

My little 'just turned 18' boy voted yesterday by mail from desh for his birthplace in the bay area.

Guy took it very seriously, googled up on all the people and propositions and made well considered decisions. Interesting thing is, he voted yes on a bond issue for a hospital since "I was born at that hospital! Of course I support"

His elder brother Indian was utterly disappointed that here at desh we get to vote for just a person, and everything else is controlled by the parties.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8730
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 30 Sep 2020 20:57

Dileep wrote:My little 'just turned 18' boy voted yesterday by mail from desh for his birthplace in the bay area.

Guy took it very seriously, googled up on all the people and propositions and made well considered decisions. Interesting thing is, he voted yes on a bond issue for a hospital since "I was born at that hospital! Of course I support"

His elder brother Indian was utterly disappointed that here at desh we get to vote for just a person, and everything else is controlled by the parties.


The Indian voting system is better. Federal/Central election commission sets the rules, not the individual state like the US. It drives American liberals crazy when I tell them that 850 million people in India are registered voters with a biometric photo voter ID. The percentage of fraud is greatly diminished. Each voting machine is autonomous with a unique checksum ID. However issues on the ballot are not there.

achit
BRFite
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Feb 2005 20:07
Location: USA

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby achit » 30 Sep 2020 23:04

Was Biden pandering for islamic votes?
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/518908-american-muslims-praise-biden-after-he-says-inshallah-during-trump-tax
Inshallah is not a common word at all.
Either Biden was deliberately pandering to muslim voters or he is a normal user of this word that indicates islamic reach to his inner circle!
Both are not good for India-US relations.

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4561
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Cain Marko » 01 Oct 2020 10:31

achit wrote:Was Biden pandering for islamic votes?
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/518908-american-muslims-praise-biden-after-he-says-inshallah-during-trump-tax
Inshallah is not a common word at all.
Either Biden was deliberately pandering to muslim voters or he is a normal user of this word that indicates islamic reach to his inner circle!
Both are not good for India-US relations.

Inshallah is extremely common, possibly more so with sub continental Muslims than Arabs. But it is not rare by any means with Arabs either.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie
Posts: 12331
Joined: 05 Apr 2006 16:25

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Aditya_V » 01 Oct 2020 13:10

Why is Biden's lead in the Muslim vote not being Highlighted.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8730
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 01 Oct 2020 21:57

Biden is pandering to the TSP vote. It is clear as day.

His economic advisor has indicated tariffs will be dropped on China ASAP and the US will return to business as usual with the dragon.

All indicators are pointing to a resumption of an aid package to TSP. The only question is of amount $400 million to $1 billion annually.

la.khan
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 05:02

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby la.khan » 02 Oct 2020 10:17

I see a few RoPers listed on this very page who have occupied govt positions. Is there a way to track the nationalities of these RoPers? How many of these are pakis, BDs, Iranians, Arabs etc? I don't think Iranians, Arabs really care about Indian subcontinent issues (CAA, Art. 370, Ayodhya, JKL etc). But if these are Pakis, I am very certain Hindus/Indians will be hearing from these cretins for years/decades to come. Aided & abetted by our own sickularists.

Why is it so easy for RoPers to influence the INC in India, Labour party in the UK, Democrats in US? In India, political parties tend to fracture Hindu vote with caste and appease RoPers with sickularism. What compels Labour & Democrats to pander to Islamists? In India, caste based parties take advantage of voter illiteracy/apathy to make the right noise that appeals to Islamists. Why would Labour/Democrats ignore their core voter base to appease RoP?

I thought Labour in the UK was the exception but Islam seems to have figured out ways to subvert democracy in the West and not very many Labour/Democrat leaders and/or voters seem to care.

The only countries that seem to have figured out Islam are Singapore, Poland, and Japan.

darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2945
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 02 Oct 2020 10:29

la.khan wrote:I thought Labour in the UK was the exception but Islam seems to have figured out ways to subvert democracy in the West and not very many Labour/Democrat leaders and/or voters seem to care.

The only countries that seem to have figured out Islam are Singapore, Poland, and Japan.

Why not include chinese? There are many in singapore. SL, Myanmar, etc. are also taking actions. Is there any particular reason to ignore them?

la.khan
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 05:02

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby la.khan » 02 Oct 2020 10:48

darshan wrote:
la.khan wrote:I thought Labour in the UK was the exception but Islam seems to have figured out ways to subvert democracy in the West and not very many Labour/Democrat leaders and/or voters seem to care.

The only countries that seem to have figured out Islam are Singapore, Poland, and Japan.

Why not include chinese? There are many in singapore. SL, Myanmar, etc. are also taking actions. Is there any particular reason to ignore them?

China & Myanmar are totalitarian dictatorships where govt can do whatever it pleases. And Mother Russia too. Another lot are Australia (Julia Gillard comes to mind). On SL, I wasn't aware.

There are many RoPers in Singapore? I wasn't aware of that. I thought Singapore PM late Lee Yuan Kew explicitly refused to pamper/appease RoPers and have no special privileges. I could be wrong.

ShyamSP
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2501
Joined: 06 Mar 2002 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby ShyamSP » 02 Oct 2020 11:55

It is very bad news just month before elections as he can't do signature Trump rallies any more. Hope he weathers through Covid19.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 14849?s=20
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Tonight, @FLOTUS
and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/13119 ... 80581?s=20
Melania Trump
@FLOTUS
US government account
As too many Americans have done this year, @potus
& I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19. We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.

nandakumar
BRFite
Posts: 1233
Joined: 10 May 2010 13:37

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby nandakumar » 02 Oct 2020 12:06

la.khan wrote:
darshan wrote:Why not include chinese? There are many in singapore. SL, Myanmar, etc. are also taking actions. Is there any particular reason to ignore them?

China & Myanmar are totalitarian dictatorships where govt can do whatever it pleases. And Mother Russia too. Another lot are Australia (Julia Gillard comes to mind). On SL, I wasn't aware.

There are many RoPers in Singapore? I wasn't aware of that. I thought Singapore PM late Lee Yuan Kew explicitly refused to pamper/appease RoPers and have no special privileges. I could be wrong.

About 13% of Singapore population would be of Malay origin. My guess is most of them would be muslims. Also a portion of Tamils would be that as well.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 23313
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby chetak » 03 Oct 2020 19:20

Trump has reportedly been given Remdesivir therapy

he may yet bounce back to rally.

or if constrained not to travel, he may just as well do it remotely via video

this guy will simply not stay down.

achit
BRFite
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Feb 2005 20:07
Location: USA

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby achit » 03 Oct 2020 23:35

ShyamSP wrote:It is very bad news just month before elections as he can't do signature Trump rallies any more. Hope he weathers through Covid19.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 14849?s=20
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Tonight, @FLOTUS
and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/13119 ... 80581?s=20
Melania Trump
@FLOTUS
US government account
As too many Americans have done this year, @potus
& I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19. We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.

I think Pres. Trump will bounce back however response from many on the left on his illness is an indication of divide in US right now. Even some of my Indian friends seems to be happy that he got sick and will be sidelined form campaign.

darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2945
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 04 Oct 2020 18:39

‘Commies not welcome!’: US immigration issues policy guidance regarding inadmissibility over affiliation with Communist & other totalitarian parties
https://www.organiser.org/Encyc/2020/10 ... lcome.html

USCIS Issues Policy Guidance Regarding Inadmissibility Based on Membership in a Totalitarian Party
https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis ... rian-party

nachiket
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7994
Joined: 02 Dec 2008 10:49

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby nachiket » 05 Oct 2020 20:18

Dileep wrote:His elder brother Indian was utterly disappointed that here at desh we get to vote for just a person, and everything else is controlled by the parties.

Ballot proposals are the one thing I hope never travels to India from the US. What is the point of electing representatives and having state legislatures if every little proposal needs to be voted on by the entire electorate? How many regular people would even understand all the pros and cons of any such issue or take the time to read and educate themselves about it. That is not their job. It is why we elect representatives and pay them large sums of money for.

In California I see all these Proposition-xx ending up with propaganda campaigns by lobbyists and interested parties with ads on TV trying to shape public opinion. Not something I want to see happen in India to be honest.

darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2945
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby darshan » 05 Oct 2020 21:14

Agree. Politicians get away by shifting liability on voters. Ballots get very long and tiring, no one can research each item, many critical items like taking on new debt gets voted on by select few available to vote at odd times, etc.

Suraj
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13696
Joined: 20 Jan 2002 12:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Suraj » 05 Oct 2020 21:30

darshan wrote:‘Commies not welcome!’: US immigration issues policy guidance regarding inadmissibility over affiliation with Communist & other totalitarian parties
https://www.organiser.org/Encyc/2020/10 ... lcome.html

USCIS Issues Policy Guidance Regarding Inadmissibility Based on Membership in a Totalitarian Party
https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis ... rian-party

This policy framework has been around since the 1950s. It was actively enforced during the Cold War and especially the McCarthy years as I recall. It since lost focus. Trump admin just made it a primary consideration again. There have always been questions in immigration paperwork asking if you're a member of a communist party.

mappunni
BRFite
Posts: 275
Joined: 14 Jul 2017 19:07

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby mappunni » 05 Oct 2020 21:59

Suraj wrote:
darshan wrote:‘Commies not welcome!’: US immigration issues policy guidance regarding inadmissibility over affiliation with Communist & other totalitarian parties
https://www.organiser.org/Encyc/2020/10 ... lcome.html

USCIS Issues Policy Guidance Regarding Inadmissibility Based on Membership in a Totalitarian Party
https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis ... rian-party

This policy framework has been around since the 1950s. It was actively enforced during the Cold War and especially the McCarthy years as I recall. It since lost focus. Trump admin just made it a primary consideration again. There have always been questions in immigration paperwork asking if you're a member of a communist party.


This has been on paper, I remember filling it some 15 years ago for my citizenship interview by the then INS.

So does it mean that PeeNari and his Commie cohorts who frequently visit the United States, for either taxpayer-funded medical jaunts or being with family? I remember seeing many of the Commie MLAs and MPs who attend Onam or Vishu celebrations and give out a speech or rather a lecture on how great Kerala is under Commie rule.

hnair
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3954
Joined: 03 May 2006 01:31
Location: Trivandrum

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby hnair » 05 Oct 2020 22:12

Mappunni, the Kerala CM and ministers usually visit on diplomatic visas. But not so with the CPI-M state secretary, who got treated at Houston and is vulnerable to concerned US citizens complaining about his background of running death squads against his political opponents, open endorsement of China (claiming US AND India is targeting an innocent china) etc, not to mention his sons being accused of serious financial fraud in Middle East, an area of grave security concern foe US :)

Even worse would be someone filing a court case AFTER he lands for his treatments and some court decides to hold him for further inquiry. So there are issues.

As for diplo Visa.... as is proven by PM Modi’s saga as Gujarat CM, State Department can be pressured to deny diplomatic visa

hnair
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3954
Joined: 03 May 2006 01:31
Location: Trivandrum

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby hnair » 05 Oct 2020 22:21

On another note, someone pointed out this months old tweet which I don’t know if we missed here
tweet


Ro Khanna
@RoKhanna

US House candidate, CA-17
I am so grateful to everyone for our victory tonight. We are exceeding our 2018 totals, beating Ritesh Tandon who ran on Islamophobia and right wing nationalism in India. We are getting the most votes in the Bay Area! Silicon Valley rejects bigotry.


Don’t know what Shree Ritesh Tandon’s background and pronouncements are, but most of the concerns against Shree Ro Khanna is because of his Pakistani Caucus shenanigans. When did questioning a military run country where bin Laden was being hidden and whose intelligence agency caused dead American soldiers become “islamophobia”?

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8730
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 05 Oct 2020 23:05

nachiket wrote:
Dileep wrote:His elder brother Indian was utterly disappointed that here at desh we get to vote for just a person, and everything else is controlled by the parties.

Ballot proposals are the one thing I hope never travels to India from the US. What is the point of electing representatives and having state legislatures if every little proposal needs to be voted on by the entire electorate? How many regular people would even understand all the pros and cons of any such issue or take the time to read and educate themselves about it. That is not their job. It is why we elect representatives and pay them large sums of money for.

In California I see all these Proposition-xx ending up with propaganda campaigns by lobbyists and interested parties with ads on TV trying to shape public opinion. Not something I want to see happen in India to be honest.


I disagree. It forces voters to look at local issues and read about them as opposed to having a governing class rule over people. It is incumbent upon the voter to read and listen about ballot measures. They are announced well in advice by local media. Another issue is taxation without representation, especially local taxes and property taxes.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8730
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 05 Oct 2020 23:13

hnair wrote:On another note, someone pointed out this months old tweet which I don’t know if we missed here
tweet


Ro Khanna
@RoKhanna

US House candidate, CA-17
I am so grateful to everyone for our victory tonight. We are exceeding our 2018 totals, beating Ritesh Tandon who ran on Islamophobia and right wing nationalism in India. We are getting the most votes in the Bay Area! Silicon Valley rejects bigotry.


Don’t know what Shree Ritesh Tandon’s background and pronouncements are, but most of the concerns against Shree Ro Khanna is because of his Pakistani Caucus shenanigans. When did questioning a military run country where bin Laden was being hidden and whose intelligence agency caused dead American soldiers become “islamophobia”?


CA has gone off the deep end. Particularly the Bay Area. The middle class can’t afford to live there. CA as a whole is now experiencing middle and lower income people leaving the state. Wealthy people will have their primary residence in a tax free state and maintain a home in CA. If the state goes after them, they too will leave.

vera_k
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3137
Joined: 20 Nov 2006 13:45

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vera_k » 06 Oct 2020 06:16

Read that Donald Trump has an investment in Regeneron, and would benefit from its soaring stock price because a treatment from Regeneron was administered to him. I must say he is truly milking the presidency for all it is worth in a very transparent manner! Not only back door pay offs via book deals and talking arrangements.

Pratyush
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8286
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 15:13

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Pratyush » 06 Oct 2020 11:14

vera_k wrote:Read that Donald Trump has an investment in Regeneron, and would benefit from its soaring stock price because a treatment from Regeneron was administered to him. I must say he is truly milking the presidency for all it is worth in a very transparent manner! Not only back door pay offs via book deals and talking arrangements.


What is the total investment made in the company??

Is is similar to the Trumpian investment in the HCQ maker or more??

vera_k
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3137
Joined: 20 Nov 2006 13:45

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby vera_k » 06 Oct 2020 11:23

Trump has ties to drugmaker Regeneron -- and now its stock is surging

^ This is the article I glanced at in passing. It's a sensational headline, since buried in the article is this revelation -

Meanwhile, Trump also recently owned shares of Regeneron (REGN) -- as well as Gilead Sciences (GILD), maker of the antiviral drug remdesivir that the president is also taking. Both stocks were listed as assets on Trump's 2017 filing with the U.S. Office of Government Ethics, though neither were holdings on the president's most recent filing for 2020

VikramS
BRFite
Posts: 1875
Joined: 21 Apr 2002 11:31

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby VikramS » 06 Oct 2020 12:06

hnair wrote:On another note, someone pointed out this months old tweet which I don’t know if we missed here
tweet


Ro Khanna
@RoKhanna

US House candidate, CA-17
I am so grateful to everyone for our victory tonight. We are exceeding our 2018 totals, beating Ritesh Tandon who ran on Islamophobia and right wing nationalism in India. We are getting the most votes in the Bay Area! Silicon Valley rejects bigotry.


Don’t know what Shree Ritesh Tandon’s background and pronouncements are, but most of the concerns against Shree Ro Khanna is because of his Pakistani Caucus shenanigans. When did questioning a military run country where bin Laden was being hidden and whose intelligence agency caused dead American soldiers become “islamophobia”?


https://www.romustgo.org is something which has come up....

Pratyush
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8286
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 15:13

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Pratyush » 06 Oct 2020 14:34

vera_k wrote:Trump has ties to drugmaker Regeneron -- and now its stock is surging

^ This is the article I glanced at in passing. It's a sensational headline, since buried in the article is this revelation -

Meanwhile, Trump also recently owned shares of Regeneron (REGN) -- as well as Gilead Sciences (GILD), maker of the antiviral drug remdesivir that the president is also taking. Both stocks were listed as assets on Trump's 2017 filing with the U.S. Office of Government Ethics, though neither were holdings on the president's most recent filing for 2020


So he has no holdings of the concerned company in 2020. We don't know when the shares were sold.

so typical of ADM. lie big and retract small

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10629
Joined: 20 Jun 2011 04:36

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Vayutuvan » 07 Oct 2020 05:41

Mort Walker wrote:CA has gone off the deep end. Particularly the Bay Area. The middle class can’t afford to live there. CA as a whole is now experiencing middle and lower income people leaving the state. Wealthy people will have their primary residence in a tax free state and maintain a home in CA. If the state goes after them, they too will leave.


Mort ji

Do you have any references or links with stats etc.? Could you please put them here. I need them in another context.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8730
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby Mort Walker » 07 Oct 2020 08:53

Vayutuvan wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:CA has gone off the deep end. Particularly the Bay Area. The middle class can’t afford to live there. CA as a whole is now experiencing middle and lower income people leaving the state. Wealthy people will have their primary residence in a tax free state and maintain a home in CA. If the state goes after them, they too will leave.


Mort ji

Do you have any references or links with stats etc.? Could you please put them here. I need them in another context.



Middle and low income people leaving CA. You can’t live on less than $100K/year
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/09/ ... alifornia/

Net migration within the US:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... _migration
Last year CA lost over 203K domestic residents and gained about 74K international residents.

Gini coefficient of Income Inequality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... oefficient
CA 0.4899 ranks 3rd highest state or union territory in the US for income inequality.

Median house price in the cheapest Bay Area:
https://www.zillow.com/san-jose-ca/home-values/ $1.05M

Official Poverty Rates and Geographically Adjusted (p. 28):
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Cens ... 60-268.pdf
US 12.3% & 13.1%, CA 12.5% & 18.1% (this is highest in the US, CA beat Louisiana)

CA Homelessness over 151K
https://www.usich.gov/homelessness-statistics/ca

SFO Homeless jumped 30% from 2017 to 2019
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html

Overall state tax burden in CA is 12th highest in the US:
https://taxfoundation.org/facts-and-figures-2020/

Living wage in the Bay Area is around $20/hour for one person:
https://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/41860
https://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/41940

Image

mappunni
BRFite
Posts: 275
Joined: 14 Jul 2017 19:07

Re: Understanding the US - Again

Postby mappunni » 07 Oct 2020 09:33

No wonder I see all these California, New York, New Jersey, and a variety of license plates from the New England area in the Dallas TX area all the time.

Looks like all these folks are leaving for a state where they can have a decent living, warmer climes, and no state income tax state!


Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dumal, kvraghav, vera_k and 32 guests