India - Canada - News and Discussion. (2018)

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
gpurewal
BRFite

Re: India - Canada - News and Discussion. (2018)

Post by gpurewal »

disha wrote:
This is the last from me on this.
:D
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

I have reported gpurewal's posts to admins. Here is a copy of my report for your entertainment:
The poster gpurewal is engaging in cheap sophistry under the guise of politeness to demand respect for the Canadian PM who has shown no respect for India's sovereignty and well-being. gpurewal doesn't belong on BRF for 2 key reasons:

1. Aggressively demanding deference and respect for someone like Trudeau who has shown a smarmy hostility to India is contrary to the core values of BRF.

2. BRF's well-established brand is fiercely patriotic, independent, and some of its best posters over the years have set high standards in heaping scorn on India's ill-wishers. Posters like gpurewal who lurch about clueless and out of tune with the BRF ethos are a huge disruption.

3. gpurewal's posts and ridiculous logic are an insult to the intelligence and honor of all patriotic Indians.

Kindly ban him forthwith. Thank you.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

gpurewal,
Turdeau has done immense damage to India-Canada ties with his antics during his last India visit on top of carrying a known Khalistani sympathiser in his entourage.

He rightly deserves criticism for being unable to see the India beyond Punjab. His entire India view seems to be conditioned by Punjabi diaspora vote bank in Canada. Not very wise or statesmanly if you look at it. He has no business commenting on protests against farm laws, any more than India has on protests against Costal Gas Link pipeline. Being the woke leftist he is, he cant keep his mouth shut and wants to give lessons to all and sundry.

On BRF (I've been visiting it for as long as you have been), we'll call a dork a dork, pour umbrage on any anti-Indian attitude, and call such people (not posters if they remain civil and constructive as you have been) all kind of creative names, heck thats one big reason why we are here :)

That Khalistani sympathisers are dumb beyond belief is borne out the fact that they have no idea where Punjab is or Khalistan needs to be. They seem totally ignorant of the extent of Sikh Empire under Raja Ranjit Singh:

Less than 20% of it lies in India, and the rest 80% is actually in Pakistan! And they collude with Pakis to fight against India. If this is not the height of stupidity, I don't know what is. But being stupid doesn't make them less of a threat to India's stability, and some day to Canada's stability as well. Thats why BRFites want to see Canadian Govt distance itself from Khalistani sympathisers and crackdown on extreme elements that are fomenting trouble in India with Farm Laws as an excuse.

If Canada and Turdeau wish to earn BRF's and India's respect, he needs to think before he speaks and act on subversive elements at home inimical to India's interests. Thats a fair ask, don't you think? Jo bole so Nihal ! :)
gpurewal
BRFite

Post by gpurewal »

I agree with your points Cyrano. The Khalistani Terrorists are behaving like baboons with rabies. If anyone calls them out, they immediately put a target on them (Tara Singh Hair as an example), and god forbid if a fellow Sikh says no to the idea of Khalistan (Ujjal Dosanjh) and they will get ostracized and shunned.

Speak out against their use of violence, and they will try to justify it by referencing Blue Star, and riot/pogram in Delhi. It's frustrating since it feels like a feedback loop that is effecting all good people caught in the middle.

But, I do feel that they are dying out, and I hope they do. PM Trudeau's mistakes are well known to us, and his goof ups cost him the majority government. With the latest round of scandals coming from the We-Charity, the Governor General, and the Covid Vaccine rollout, I believe his days are numbered. The CPC leader only needs to sit back and coast in, and hopefully he doesn't muck that up.
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

gpurewal wrote: Regarding the lack of punishment against the perpetrators of that, most vile and dastardly bombing of Air India, the Canadian Justice System dropped the ball, big time. Not the government, but the justice system, as it is a completely independent body in our system of government. I may be wrong but, I believe the separation of powers between the Executive, and Judicial branches is the same in India, since both Canada and India follow the British system of government. The “cock up” happened from CSIS, to the RCMP, all the way to the Crown Prosecutors office. The case was dropped under Prime Minister Harpers minority government years I believe.
Regards,
Just one question and comment from me. How is the CSIS, the RCMP and the CPO all rolled into the judiciary here? Aren't they all part of the executive powers to maintain and uphold law and order?
gpurewal
BRFite

Post by gpurewal »

Dumal wrote:
gpurewal wrote: Regarding the lack of punishment against the perpetrators of that, most vile and dastardly bombing of Air India, the Canadian Justice System dropped the ball, big time. Not the government, but the justice system, as it is a completely independent body in our system of government. I may be wrong but, I believe the separation of powers between the Executive, and Judicial branches is the same in India, since both Canada and India follow the British system of government. The “cock up” happened from CSIS, to the RCMP, all the way to the Crown Prosecutors office. The case was dropped under Prime Minister Harpers minority government years I believe.
Regards,
Just one question and comment from me. How is the CSIS, the RCMP and the CPO all rolled into the judiciary here? Aren't they all part of the executive powers to maintain and uphold law and order?
You are correct, the federal policing and investigative services fall under the Department of Justice, which is under the Executive Branch's umbrella. The cock-up by the Justice Department goes all the way back to the P. Trudeau(term ended in 1984)/Mulroney era, when CSIS was actively tailing the bombers, and they failed to act.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Any idiots who want a land locked country between three nuclear powers is going to make its people very poor. Most of these khalistanis do not know what is a map and where is Punjab located. They live in the times of 1770 -1849. Jutt Sikhs are the real problem who have full control of the gurudwaras and thus money. These jutt Sikhs do not want the other people of India to become sikh as they will lose control. Canadians, UK, USA, NZ Sikhs are not even sikh anymore rather their own form of Sikhi where onlt Jutts rule.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

gpurewal, I sure dont want to beat a dead horse here and neither am I intersted in extended debates, but I'll say this.

When I hear/think about Trudeau in the news these days (either during his 2018 visit to India or his recent remarks) it has begun to feel like he not the prime minister of a sovereign, Western nation. Rather he gives the impression of being a chief minister/governor of some part of India, .....may be like a second CM of Punjab or something. It is quite funny in a humorous way. In a way, I understand why this happens. For a small nation like Canada, with only 35 million people, a vocal/strident minority can have a disproportional affect on the leadership, especially if the leader faces close elections.

Cyrano nailed it when he said that Trudeau does not see an India beyond Punjab. For Trudeau to have invited for dinner a person convicted of a murder plot of a cabinet minister is way beyond my comprehension that a sitting head of state could contemplate something like this. Atwal was directly involved in the shooting ambush of an elected official. And this was just one of the several controversies during his visit to India. THere are others that I recall but cannot bother to dig up on google.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/asia/ext ... index.html
I cannot understand the gall behind such a move coming in the host country that Trudeau was visiting. Trudeau must have feted Atwal in Canada many times over, perhaps. I dont know.

By the way, there is something to your 'Klingons' analogy....I've lived among them (not Klingons!) and am a fan of Star Trek.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:gpurewal, I sure dont want to beat a dead horse here and neither am I intersted in extended debates, but I'll say this.

When I hear/think about Trudeau in the news these days (either during his 2018 visit to India or his recent remarks) it has begun to feel like he not the prime minister of a sovereign, Western nation. Rather he gives the impression of being a chief minister/governor of some part of India, .....may be like a second CM of Punjab or something. It is quite funny in a humorous way. In a way, I understand why this happens. For a small nation like Canada, with only 35 million people, a vocal/strident minority can have a disproportional affect on the leadership, especially if the leader faces close elections.

Cyrano nailed it when he said that Trudeau does not see an India beyond Punjab. For Trudeau to have invited for dinner a person convicted of a murder plot of a cabinet minister is way beyond my comprehension that a sitting head of state could contemplate something like this. Atwal was directly involved in the shooting ambush of an elected official. And this was just one of the several controversies during his visit to India. THere are others that I recall but cannot bother to dig up on google.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/asia/ext ... index.html
I cannot understand the gall behind such a move coming in the host country that Trudeau was visiting. Trudeau must have feted Atwal in Canada many times over, perhaps. I dont know.

By the way, there is something to your 'Klingons' analogy....I've lived among them (not Klingons!) and am a fan of Star Trek.
at one time, all these khalistani activists were banned from coming to India

sometime before trudeau's disastrous India visit cum bhangra performance en famille, they were all allowed in.

wonder which fool in the GoI took (or was paid off to take) such a poorly thought out decision. :mrgreen:
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I am not sure why the rush to show gpurewal the door.

There is little point in living in the proverbial echo chamber, one needs exposure to alternate perspectives.

From such, one can predict the narrative will metamorphose into human rights violations of Sikhs. I do believe the Delhi police violated that elderly Sikh's religious freedom to slash at the police with his sword. It is their religious right to be armed with daggers and swords in public.

Of course I am equally concerned that if he had tried it in Kaneda at Parliament Hill, he would have left a bullet ridden corpse. And not one Sikh would have protested. :lol:

I needs to be mentally trained for repartee. Recently the cleaning woman at the public building, obviously suffering from the effects of too much pesticide residue in her Panjab wheat told me in broken English (not too bad after 20 years' stay in this country) that she would not accept the Indian made vaccine. I smiled and told her she absolutely shouldn't. :lol:
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Mod Note

gpurewal: your comments about your own Canadian PM have been noted. No action will be taken to compel posters here to not mock him . You said you dont like it . That’s fine, you’ve said your piece , now move along and learn to live with it.

Any further effort to grandstand as some kind of moral guardian will earn a mod response.
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

I so want to get involved here but I will not.
The kind of things I could say about T#rdeau would make everyone wince,
I have spent my life among people who can say the most atrocious things about anyone and it is called banter.

The fact that we have so called Indians coming on here defending these morons just shows how
de-racinated and self loathing INO Indians in Name Only are...

I have many of these stupid people in my own family, singhs/hindus you name it!!

Sure be loyal to the country you have adopted but shutdown any morons when they talk cr#ap about
India.

I think it must be colonial slave mentality... when ever they see a gora.

Could you imagine any other nationality having such blind loyalty to their adopted country;
chinese/australians/english/french/germans/japanese????
Only stupid Indians.

I am very loyal to my adopted place but my friends/colleagues (of a different colour) also know that they cannot start talking cr#p about Indian in front of me... They will get a whack on the head with a big stick.
The same goes for my stupid family members..

Facts I am happy to listen to but India/Hindu hating tropes = get lost

Oh look I got involved.

Anyway these people are fair game it is a bit like those that would post pak forum propaganda back in the old days. They need to understand the kind of Indians, even if foreign citizens, that hang around here.

feel free to delete, if enough has been said previous to me
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Avtar Singh wrote:.....
The fact that we have so called Indians coming on here defending these morons just shows how
de-racinated and self loathing INO Indians in Name Only are...

+1008 to everything.

Just last week I had the (dis)pleasure of speaking with another INO who was saying stuff like "British united india" and how india would've remain divided if it weren't for the british.

I said would you agree that hitler helped Jews to establish Israel?
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

^^^^
dont want to derail Kanada thread

Some make not like me saying this but Indias real tryst with destiny was with the English/Britsh.
It could have been any of the westerners filling islamic void. Most unti the 70s were fascistic.

The english have worked on their system for 1000 years with a few civil wars on the way.
Indian did well to adopt this system and India was fortunate that they filled the islamic void.

this anglo/english system has turned USA into an unprecedented superpower/world leader
This is what awaits India if it continues to play its cards right; "its the economy stupid"

This is why I dont believe this china/schmina century nonsense.
Sorry China, you may have the money for now... which Indians can easily make.
But you are riding the wrong horse.... should have picked the anglo/english horse
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

SBajwa wrote:Any idiots who want a land locked country between three nuclear powers is going to make its people very poor. Most of these khalistanis do not know what is a map and where is Punjab located. They live in the times of 1770 -1849. Jutt Sikhs are the real problem who have full control of the gurudwaras and thus money. These jutt Sikhs do not want the other people of India to become sikh as they will lose control. Canadians, UK, USA, NZ Sikhs are not even sikh anymore rather their own form of Sikhi where onlt Jutts rule.
Sukhi Chahal asked Simranjit Singh Mann about Hindus and others and he said they "can keep living in Khalistan" . This was just like Jinnah who said My words are words of god in Pakistan. He has not even got a state to run but already dismissing and deciding the fate of millions who will not agree with him. Even if it happen , Khalistan will split in as many numbers of states as many numbers of local Gurudwaras.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

See what the badals are saying in parliament about the Hindus and then try and reconcile it with the khalistanis and their Idea of India.

She said to save your “ tilak & janeyu”.

So much of hate these people have for Hindus in their hearts . One thing is clear no matter how much respect and love you shower on them it will never be enough.

these people are not only the chief fomenters of the "farmer's agitation but also the chief tormentors of the society in punjab

note the venom in her discourse

What a shame this lady is @HarsimratBadal_ ..

WATCH VIDEO

via@ExSecular

rolers, ropers and now the khalistanis.......... all seem to think that the Hindus are born and exist only to serve them. Doesn't matter where these guys are from or how many generations born in foreign lands like kaneda.

this is what they all think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjP-FX7tpR4

Harsimrat Kaur Badal's speech in Lok Sabha. She is from the biggest arhtiya family in India.

sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

m_saini wrote: +1008 to everything.

Just last week I had the (dis)pleasure of speaking with another INO who was saying stuff like "British united india" and how india would've remain divided if it weren't for the british.

I said would you agree that hitler helped Jews to establish Israel?
That's a good response. Other canned responses can also be used to refute this and other similar canards - no relation to canuck thread, so will post in Non-western world-view thread.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

doesn't even have the testimonials to stand and fight :mrgreen:

hypocrite

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... tical-hide

GUNTER: Trudeau begs for vaccine to save political hide

I'm not sure who this Gunther is, he may have an axe to grind.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

sanjaykumar wrote:GUNTER: Trudeau begs for vaccine to save political hide
In the same article, here are some of the back-handed swipes the author takes at India:
What’s next, Trudeau pestering Ethiopia to send us food aid?
There is so much wrong with this, more than just the humiliation of a G7 country grovelling for a handout from a developing one.
Does Trudeau’s plea to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi therefore mark the second time in as many weeks that the Trudeau government has tried to steal vials from poor countries just to save its electoral hide back home?
Take that, you short dark, "grovelling" third world Yindoos.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

You are free to interpret it as you wish.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:You are free to interpret it as you wish.
Saar, we all like idealistic folks but a little less hypocrisy and less awe for dictators like Castro would serve PM Trudeau better, don't you think? :mrgreen:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Avtar Singh wrote:Sure be loyal to the country you have adopted but shutdown any morons when they talk cr#ap about India.
This. +1008
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

disha wrote:Modi talked about Climate change and Economic recovery for a reason. Modi wants to put India on to road of economic prosperity. For that, it needs double digit growth for the next 10 years. By 2030, can India become a 10T economy? By 2040 can India become a 20T economy? How can Canada be a partner in India's growth (and also grow their economy).
No CANDU?!!! We can do. :mrgreen:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

gpurewal wrote:I do agree with the landowner assessment as they have a lot of land in Punjab, my old man included.
I have one genuine doubt. Was Punjab out of the purview of the Land Ceiling Act? LCA would have allowed 19 acres per adult. That was the case in erstwhile AP.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Rudradev wrote:Gpurewal ji,

Thank you for a measured response. I don't know if the comparison of criminal activity in country X targeting citizens in country Y (among other countries) falls strictly within the scope of "inteference" in another country's affairs though.
Most of these "SCAM coming in" originate in - tra la la - Pureland which is helping pure to create another pureland from Bharat.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

g.sarkar wrote: ... Gautam
PS And Joe Biden is my president.
Sir ji, when Trump was our president, the same Canadian turdueaus called him names non-stop, on Twitter, on FB, and everywhere else on SM. I had a few run-ins with these turds. Whether I liked Trump or not was irrelevant; he was a duly elected president of the US and should be defended. On the other hand, they descend in droves if Turdueau is called a "turd you".
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 16 Feb 2021 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Scams from India seem to be the white man's peeve about India du jour.

Strangely silent on the Service Canada scam currently tormenting Canadians-I know of about 20-25 instances of calls, none with Indian accents, mostly Anglos. Anyway I suggest having some fun with them. One dude promised to hunt them down and get intimate with their nether regions with a certain personal protuberance. Poor devil good only sputter in protest when my friend suggested the caller report him to the police.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

gpurewal seems to have disappeared, went back to the land of pure ?! LoL
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Justin TruDooDoo requested PM Modi for supplying vaccines to Canada to give succour to the destitute and dying canadians.

India announced that it will send vaccines to Canada and SII chief tweeted that within one month time Canadians will get succour.

On hearing that news, Justin TruDooDoo broke out in a song and dance routine which he called 'bhangra' :

PS: I heard he even hired a wingman to make him look better.

PPS: The wingman might have links to Khalistani terrorists.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Canada mourns as remains of 215 children found at indigenous school

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57291530

""To our knowledge, these missing children are undocumented deaths," Ms Casimir said. "Some were as young as three years old.""
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Frankly at this point we need to have similar investigations in india. I'm sure we'll find all sorts of colonial crimes that need to be addressed.
gpurewal
BRFite

Post by gpurewal »

Lisa wrote:Canada mourns as remains of 215 children found at indigenous school
Small correction Lisa.

The schools are called "Residential Schools" and not "Indigenous Schools" because the native children were forcibly taken from their families and put into those schools, which were government mandated and run by Christian churches. To say they that they were "Indigenous schools" would imply that they were run by the native tribes.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

I know this is a false comparison, but I can't resist. After horrific crimes like the 215 children found on the grounds of a residential school, Canada didn't suffer so much as a scratch from any vengeful ,enraged aboriginals. Not a thing. India took action against murderous terrorists in the Golden Temple in Amritsar, who were sending death squads out to eliminate anyone who opposed them or even made a little fun of them( like the Hindustan Samachar group of newspapers) . Not only did that( assault on the Golden Temple) lead to terrorist reprisals in Punjab, it resulted in the single largest mass murder in *Canada's* modern history, the bombing of Air India flight 182 in June 1985. The majority of victims were Canadian citizens of Indian origin. Not of course wishing any violence on Canada, but something doesn't feel quite right here. It's not even a question of the difference between 329 deaths( flight 182) and say, half or a third that number by militant aboriginals. It's between the largest Canadian mass murder, and absolutely nothing at all.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Sounds like Canada is not a safe country for children.

#CanadasChildren
gpurewal
BRFite

Post by gpurewal »

Varoon Shekhar wrote:I know this is a false comparison, but I can't resist. After horrific crimes like the 215 children found on the grounds of a residential school, Canada didn't suffer so much as a scratch from any vengeful ,enraged aboriginals. Not a thing. India took action against murderous terrorists in the Golden Temple in Amritsar, who were sending death squads out to eliminate anyone who opposed them or even made a little fun of them( like the Hindustan Samachar group of newspapers) . Not only did that( assault on the Golden Temple) lead to terrorist reprisals in Punjab, it resulted in the single largest mass murder in *Canada's* modern history, the bombing of Air India flight 182 in June 1985. The majority of victims were Canadian citizens of Indian origin. Not of course wishing any violence on Canada, but something doesn't feel quite right here. It's not even a question of the difference between 329 deaths( flight 182) and say, half or a third that number by militant aboriginals. It's between the largest Canadian mass murder, and absolutely nothing at all.

The natives in North America are different tribes who have different customs, traditions, and languages. They are bottled up into a single group when they should be considered different nations altogether. With that being said, inter-tribal, and intra-tribal conflict is huge in the native community. There is rampant greed among their leaders, because tribal lands are not administered by the provinces, but locally by the tribes, so various services like clean water is not even available in some communities. To make matters worse, the native communities are pretty much rock bottom in education, health, and social upward movement due to high cases of crime, drug abuse, and worst of all alcoholism. The latter is attributed to the Indian Residential School System, when the children were ripped from their families, so to ease their pain, the parents reverted to alcohol to numb their loss.

There is no unified movement by the various native tribes, and the tribes that have all the wealth due to them sitting on natural resources or strategic locations don't want to lose their income. Greed is pretty much keeping them apart from unifying. The best way I can think of describing the native tribes and the way they govern is to say they are Canada's equivalent of South Africa's Bantustans.

Regarding the remains of the children that were found, they were most likely from the Kamloops Native Band (Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc), who will most likely sue the Catholic Church and the Federal Government. But, the forensic testing will prove where the tribal lineage of the children, and sadly, there will probably be more remains found.

There was a uprising by the Metis people back in the late 1880's, when Canada was still a young country. It was led by a man called Louis Riel, and it was put down swiftly by the Canadian Army, and Riel was hung.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The best way I can think of describing the native tribes and the way they govern is to say they are Canada's equivalent of South Africa's Bantustans.

When South Africa, was setting up apartheid homelands, their officials actually came to Canada and studied the aboriginal reserves.

There is rampant greed among their leaders, because tribal lands are not administered by the provinces, but locally by the tribes, so various services like clean water is not even available in some communities. To make matters worse, the native communities are pretty much rock bottom in education, health, and social upward movement due to high cases of crime, drug abuse, and worst of all alcoholism. The latter is attributed to the Indian Residential School System, when the children were ripped from their families, so to ease their pain, the parents reverted to alcohol to numb their loss.

One must be careful not to blame the victim.

I live a safe, privileged lifestyle in Canada, I have not been denied too many opportunities notwithstanding my ethnicity, being non-Christian, etc.

Five kilometers away, crime, assault and murder rates are approaching inner city America levels. Yes mostly involving aboriginals.

This is phenomenology.

I have been told by a gentleman farmer (white third generation Canadian) "We gave them the poorest land"; the health statistics for aboriginals and whites tell their own sordid tale. Natives were enslaved, scalped, starved and experimented upon.

Are they corrupt and violent, alcoholic and drug addicted?

Fortunately, there is a greater willingness to examine these areas, therein lies the hope.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

gpurewal wrote:
Lisa wrote:Canada mourns as remains of 215 children found at indigenous school
Small correction Lisa.

The schools are called "Residential Schools" and not "Indigenous Schools" because the native children were forcibly taken from their families and put into those schools, which were government mandated and run by Christian churches. To say they that they were "Indigenous schools" would imply that they were run by the native tribes.
Sir, that is the headline online, not my writing.
gpurewal
BRFite

Post by gpurewal »

sanjaykumar wrote:

One must be careful not to blame the victim.

I live a safe, privileged lifestyle in Canada, I have not been denied too many opportunities notwithstanding my ethnicity, being non-Christian, etc.

Five kilometers away, crime, assault and murder rates are approaching inner city America levels. Yes mostly involving aboriginals.

This is phenomenology.

I have been told by a gentleman farmer (white third generation Canadian) "We gave them the poorest land"; the health statistics for aboriginals and whites tell their own sordid tale. Natives were enslaved, scalped, starved and experimented upon.

Are they corrupt and violent, alcoholic and drug addicted?

Fortunately, there is a greater willingness to examine these areas, therein lies the hope.
I was not trying to victim blame, but just pointing out the situation that is endemic to native people. I feel that they are in a vicious feedback loop with each new generation being worse off than the last because of side effects from abuse (alcohol, drugs, domestic, sexual, etc). Nobody should have to endure this.

The situation does not affect all natives, since the coastal Salish tribes here on the west coast have pretty much gotten back on their feet, since they can rely on leasing out their lands to property developers. Heck, the Tsawwassen First Nations are doing pretty well since they have industrial warehouses on their lands (like a giant Amazon fulfillment centre) and property development/leasing. The tribes in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories are doing well due to the diamond and ore mining opportunities there.

However, I do believe, the further inland you go into the prairies, the worse the situation gets for natives, with the worst being in Manitoba. The rampant addictions to drugs, alcohol, and I was surprised to hear this, gas (petrol) huffing is destroying their communities. In order to heal, we all need to tackle this problem together, this includes the victims. It also doesn't help that their still is rampant racism and discrimination against natives in the country as well. It's well hidden in gentrified areas but not so much in "god's country".
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The tribes in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories are doing well due to the diamond and ore mining opportunities there.

I have spent more than 24 months in the Arctic, they are not doing well.

I have to postulate an epigenetic phenomenon to explain some of the social problems, given the trauma that their forefathers underwent.

It is difficult to parse etiology, there is much fetal damage from fetal alcohol syndrome and cocaine etc. I am glad if west coast aboriginals are doing better.