Nipah Virus Outbreak IN Kerala-2018

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Aarvee
BRFite

Re: Nipah Virus Outbreak IN Kerala-2018

Post by Aarvee »

ramana wrote:How did a bat in Kerala become a carrier for Bangladesh strain of Nipah Virus?
And if it travelled from bat to bat from Bangladesh, how come there were no outbreaks of Nipah virus all along the path?
Ramana sir, Bats can travel thousands of kilometers every year. Unless sampling and testing is done, we simply dont know about the prevalence of these viruses in wild populations. Zoonotic events are rare, It is like a perfect storm. A lot of factors need to work out perfectly for a spillover event to occur.

It is known that the virus exists in wild populations of BD and other SE countries. But we dont see regular outbreaks. We might simply be lucky. It is also known that Bats can actually clear out some viral infections.

But I agree with you in that more work needs to be done to understand the context of the original spillover. His travel history, his meetings with potential intermediate hosts etc. I am sure the powers to be are working that out.

In the absence of any solid information to suggest other wise, the most probable cause would be a zoonotic event.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

May be i'm too much into CT, but if I were to test the impact of such attack on enemy, I will do it that ways
1. Where I will not be suspected of doing it
2. There's adequate response so that it doesnt really become an epidemic
3. Perhaps there is slightly friendly regime, where I can contain things if things go haywire
KL checks all three ticks, because of distance and well supported medical system and the commi regime, which is heavily anti modi. I find it hard to believe that bats flew from BD to KL and didn't infect anyone in WB, Bihar, UP (I know it's not on the way, but still there is a lot of travel between the two states), AP, Telangana, TN, and Karnataka. Even if bats flew over seas (which i find hard to believe as they need something to hang upside down esp in night, unless they fly non stop) they didnt infect in TN, AP, Odisha
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Bat may have hitched a ride on a goods train. Or inside the skull of a commie neta returning from pilgrimage to Naxalbari.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

UlanBatori wrote:Bat may have hitched a ride on a goods train. Or inside the skull of a commie neta returning from pilgrimage to Naxalbari.
Perhaps a bat mobile is better explanation
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

This thread needs to be revived.
Arjun Pandit conspiracy theory is most plausible scenario.
GOI is investigating private labs contracts with CDC for research on Nipah Virus.

Some deep shit has hit the fan.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

ramana wrote:This thread needs to be revived.
GOI is investigating private labs contracts with CDC for research on Nipah Virus.

Which conspiracy theory Ramanagaru?
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

ramana wrote:This thread needs to be revived.

Which conspiracy theory Ramanagaru?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ArjunPandit wrote:May be i'm too much into CT, but if I were to test the impact of such attack on enemy, I will do it that ways
1. Where I will not be suspected of doing it
2. There's adequate response so that it doesnt really become an epidemic
3. Perhaps there is slightly friendly regime, where I can contain things if things go haywire
KL checks all three ticks, because of distance and well supported medical system and the commi regime, which is heavily anti modi. I find it hard to believe that bats flew from BD to KL and didn't infect anyone in WB, Bihar, UP (I know it's not on the way, but still there is a lot of travel between the two states), AP, Telangana, TN, and Karnataka. Even if bats flew over seas (which i find hard to believe as they need something to hang upside down esp in night, unless they fly non stop) they didnt infect in TN, AP, Odisha
This one.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

more than bat, the role of civet cats need to be inspected. For instance this is an infected civet cat caught around same time as nipah virus was peaking.

habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

their diet is same ad that of bats in that they mainly eat fruits, but also drink blood of small animals once every while.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

i didnt even think this post until i heard about the cases in Kerela..I had been travelling and terribly tied up with work..and so many things happening in mind..so cant contribute much..for this and next month...

but i suspect we are seeing revival of biological warfare..much easier than nuke or kinetic warfare...i dont need to tell most..but still documenting for reference..
1. who started it is hard to know...accidents..of course
2. not very complicated tech required to use it (not develop but use).

let the enemy grapple with it..

BTW has anyone ever heard such things in russia? is the system so good or is it the cold weather? I am not a doc ..but my suspicion, again CT, is
1. because govt is not very keen to promote genetic mapping of citizens..putin or russians have publicly spoken about it in past..
2. russians will figure it out and unleash hell on who did it
3. chinese ppl with new money have been trying that quite a lot..
4. Not to forget chinese have been taking too many liberties with hacking western countries.

.i read few posts on BRF thread that the strain works only on chinese very well..not sure what is the truth in that..

A. it might be worth looking into hacks into chinese healthcare systems ...
B. BTW i am not accusing US of it..chinese have created so many enemies over years that someone might do them, including Brishit (anyone remember Skripal here), Russia and Israel. US are the most suspicious character so i would rule them out on desi detective style
C. From a human perspective american response (again with very little knowledge) has been very bad.

Whats in there for us
1. Prepare for it ..i still believe the surat plague was not a fluke..
2. Hope the govt shuns the moral high ground and prepares for a biological warfare..we gave up the chemical part..but think about a flu itself..if you can make soliders down with dengue..you can stop it in tracks....having suffered from dengue and some very deadly flu ..in 2016 and 2018 i cna tell from my own experience..of course i got fine to tell the tale....but it will be a different story when people would be PoWs..and see the love and affection given to them ;-)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

habal wrote:more than bat, the role of civet cats need to be inspected. For instance this is an infected civet cat caught around same time as nipah virus was peaking.
Nipah virus (RNA virus in the genus Henipavirus) - like many (most eg SARS, MERS etc ) other Betacoronavirus originates from Bats...These "jump" from bats to others before infecting humans. For SARS it "jumped" from bats to .. civiet cats.. for MERS bats to camels etc.. For Nipah the main immediate animal were pigs (in Malaysia out break)..

(https://www.who.int/csr/disease/nipah/en/
WHO/CDC has extensive material on these for those who are interested.

(BTW, the name comes from Malaysian village "Sungai Nipah" - where it was discovered in 1990's .. the virus was isolated/studied in 1999 or so about 20 years before its appearance in Kerala - which was traced to pigs, In India, IIRC - somebody correct me if I am wrong the *main* culprit was consumption of raw date palm sap and eating of fruits partially consumed by bats and using water from wells inhabited by bats -- but certainly other animals may have been involved - easy enough to check from health data--
Added later: check out links like: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2698192 ... 2011-2014/) ..

Also RT-PCR techniques are extremely precise to study genetic markup - leaving little doubt about scientific understanding -- not much room for CT theories unless one believes in them more than scientific methods.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Additional items about how it spreads .. from previously mention site.. (For details see the original from WHO etc)..
What is Nipah Virus?
Nipah Virus (NiV) is an emerging infectious disease which first appeared in domestic pigs in Malaysia and Singapore in 1998 and 1999.

There is evidence of Nipah infection among several species of domestic animals including dogs, cats, goats, and horses. Sheep may also be affected. However, since the initial outbreak it has primarily affected humans in different parts of the world.

The disease causes respiratory and occasionally nervous signs in pigs. It has devastating zoonotic potential.

The organism which causes Nipah Virus encephalitis is an RNA virus of the family Paramyxoviridae, genus Henipavirus, and is closely related to Hendra virus. Hendra virus, formerly known as equine morbillivirus pneumonia or acute equine respiratory syndrome, is an acute, viral respiratory infection of horses and humans that has been reported in Australia.

Nipah Virus infection, also known as Nipah Virus encephalitis, was first isolated and described in 1999. The name, Nipah, is derived from the village in Malaysia where the person from whom the virus was first isolated succumbed to the disease.

Nipah Virus is a disease listed in the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) Terrestrial Animal Health Code and must be reported to the OIE (OIE Terrestrial Animal Health Code). Hendra virus is not yet an OIE listed reportable disease.

Transmission and spread
Fruit bats, also known as ‘flying foxes,’ of the genus Pteropus are natural reservoir hosts of the Nipah and Hendra viruses. The virus is present in bat urine and potentially, bat feces, saliva, and birthing fluids. Perhaps as a result of deforestation programmes, the Malaysian pig farms where the disease first originated had fruit trees which attracted the bats from the tropical forest, thus exposing domestic pigs to bat urine and feces. It is thought that these excretions and secretions initiated the infection in pigs which was then followed by a rapid spread through intensively reared pigs. Furthermore, transmission between farms may be due to fomites – or carrying the virus on clothing, equipment, boots, vehicles, etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

From a trusted source about Kerala outbreak

No need to fly on from anywhere. It is already there. Wherever Bats are there Nipah and other viruses may be also there. As these viruses are part of bats normal flora like our gut is full of bacteria. The chance of direct bat to human transmission is extremely rare except in certain conditions. Like in Bangladesh bats while drinking datepalm sap urinates into the vessel (bat urine and saliva contains virus). When people drink contaminated datepalm sap they get infected. Hence the family cluster of Nipah in Bangladesh. But the prevalence of datepalm taping in West Bengal is not very clear.
In Kerala it is definitely not there. Also no secondary animal was involved in Kerala. Whereas in Malaysia bats infected Pigs in farms and they infected workers. In Phillipines human got infection from handling horse meat (horse had contracted nipah mostly from bats while grassing under big trees with bat colonies. In Kerala there was no animals involved.

In Kerala only the index case got infected in the community. Including his family members, all other cases got infected in the hospital through human to human droplet infection.

Also remember, only around 10% (1in 10) Nipah cases only will become super spreaders (spread to a lot of people like our Kerala index case). Other cases mostly become very sick nd die within 2-4 days so may not efficiently transmit. That is why we say if good infection control practices are in the hospital Nipah wouldn’t spread and Nipah virus as of now cannot cause sustained human to human transmission.

So every case of Nipah will not result in an outbreak and we may not notice at all (clinically cannot make out only lab test can tell) so Nipah may be happening silently in other parts of India but our surveillance is not picking it up. So wherever Bat is there we can expect Nipah.

Also the virus identified in Kerala bats was not the same what we see in Bangladesh/ West Bengal. It is only 97-98% similar. So it has not came from Bangladesh but was there in Kerala.

Hope this is useful. We should expect Nipah anytime anywhere in India.

Hospital infection control has to drastically improve. Hospitals should not give infection. Need investment in public health if India. Lab supported surveillance system. Analysis of data in real time and evidence based public health response. Preparedness is must. We will see many more viruses emerging particularly with changing climate. We have no choice but be prepared. Otherwise India will face what China is undergoing today. Health security is directly linked to economic security.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There is something odd about Nipah virus showing up in Kerala that I can't lay my finger on.
As Singha says spider sense is fully alert but for what?
Will summarize what we know about Nipah Virus emergence in Kerala soon.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

ramana wrote:There is something odd about Nipah virus showing up in Kerala that I can't lay my finger on.
As Singha says spider sense is fully alert but for what?
Will summarize what we know about Nipah Virus emergence in Kerala soon.
Ramana sir, you're the best, please do so for NV and CV as well.
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

ArjunPandit wrote:i didnt even think this post until i heard about the cases in Kerela..I had been travelling and terribly tied up with work..and so many things happening in mind..so cant contribute much..for this and next month...

but i suspect we are seeing revival of biological warfare..much easier than nuke or kinetic warfare...i dont need to tell most..but still documenting for reference..

BTW has anyone ever heard such things in russia? is the system so good or is it the cold weather? I am not a doc ..but my suspicion, again CT, is
1. because govt is not very keen to promote genetic mapping of citizens..putin or russians have publicly spoken about it in past..
4. Not to forget chinese have been taking too many liberties with hacking western countries.

.i read few posts on BRF thread that the strain works only on chinese very well..not sure what is the truth in that..

A. it might be worth looking into hacks into chinese healthcare systems ...
B. BTW i am not accusing US of it..chinese have created so many enemies over years that someone might do them, including Brishit (anyone remember Skripal here), Russia and Israel. US are the most suspicious character so i would rule them out on desi detective style
C. From a human perspective american response (again with very little knowledge) has been very bad.

Whats in there for us
1. Prepare for it ..i still believe the surat plague was not a fluke..
2. Hope the govt shuns the moral high ground and prepares for a biological warfare..we gave up the chemical part..but think about a flu itself..if you can make soliders down with dengue..you can stop it in tracks....having suffered from dengue and some very deadly flu ..in 2016 and 2018 i cna tell from my own experience..of course i got fine to tell the tale....but it will be a different story when people would be PoWs..and see the love and affection given to them ;-)
+italian & waynad connection
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The genus of bats in Kerala and Wuhan?

Kerala bats that got Nipah virus is:
Fruit bats, also known as ‘flying foxes,’ of the genus Pteropus are natural reservoir hosts of the Nipah and Hendra viruses.
What is the genus of the Wuhan bats? How close are they to each other?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

ramana wrote:The genus of bats in Kerala and Wuhan?

Kerala bats that got Nipah virus is:
Fruit bats, also known as ‘flying foxes,’ of the genus Pteropus are natural reservoir hosts of the Nipah and Hendra viruses.
What is the genus of the Wuhan bats? How close are they to each other?
https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/11/3/210/htm
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

In retrospect Nipah-2018 was preview of COVID-19.

The world did not take note and this encouraged the spreaders of COVID-19 to all over the world.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

there was also the outbreak of Ebola in 2014.

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/history/2 ... index.html
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Ebola is not a bat origin virus.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ArjunPandit wrote:i didnt even think this post until i heard about the cases in Kerela..I had been travelling and terribly tied up with work..and so many things happening in mind..so cant contribute much..for this and next month...

vlad doesnt forgive....
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 039085.cms

The initial Delta infection arrived via an overseas flight from
Moscow into the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing in mid-July.
Seven passengers on the flight were infected with the
variant. It subsequently spread on to a group of airport
cleaning staff with nine of them testing positive on July 20.
Their infections spread quickly among people who entered
the airport, a major transportation hub.
Within weeks, cases popped up as far away as Hainan island
in China’s south, 1,900 kilometers (1,180 miles) from Nanjing.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Bingo:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/samples-f ... iHQP2ilrk=

Look at the nerve. Modify Nipah from Kerala and call it HeNipah and send it to Wuhan Institute of Virology.
Leads to SARS-COVID 19.
The traces are in the genome uploaded by China themselves in Dec 2019.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Ramanaji are you seeing a link between Kerala and the Canada origin HeNipah that was sent to Wuhan eventually?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nipah reemerges in Kerala.

https://twitter.com/MoHFW_INDIA/status/ ... 45216?s=19

Patient died.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nipah again.

https://www.republicworld.com/india-new ... eshow.html

Precautionary steps being taken.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Karnataka has sounded high alert along the districts bordering Kerala after it reported the outbreak of a rare viral disease - TOMATO FLU / FEVER.

Tomato flu or Tomato fever is a rare viral disease, causing red-coloured rashes, skin irritation and dehydration among kids under five-years of age.

@MeghUpdates
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

What do you guys think about Lumpy Spot Disease (LSD) outbreak in India? It's a viral disease and many cattle died already.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

PM Modi announces
100% of animals will be vaccinated against Foot and Mouth Disease by 2025

The lumpy disease has become a recent threat to cattle which is an infectious viral disease, resulting in a loss of livestock in many states. PM Modi in his address stated that the central government along with state governments is trying to control the disease. He said, “Our scientists have also prepared an indigenous vaccine for it. We are also increasing its testing.” He also talked about his commitment to vaccinate 100% of animals against Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and Brucellosis by the year 2025.

PM Modi said that the government’s primary focus is to develop a balanced dairy ecosystem in which they can concentrate on easing up the challenges faced in the dairy sector. He said that India is focused on increasing entrepreneurship in animal husbandry and the dairy sector. Farmer Producers Organisations & Women SHGs are helping in strengthening small farmers and the government is also planing to utilize start-ups and youth in the sector.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

https://newsable.asianetnews.com/india/ ... anr-s0vg5q

September 12, 23.

BREAKING: Centre confirms Nipah virus traces found in Kerala's Kozhikode
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

https://www.mid-day.com/news/india-news

Published 12, September 2023.

Kerala: Health minister Mandaviya confirms two Nipah virus deaths in Kozhikode
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Moderna is developing Nipah vaccine.
Clinical trials underway

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... us-vaccine

Bang Nipah reemerges in Kerala.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Research paper on this new vaccine.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 2020.00842

Do we have any biologists to decode it?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Turns out the Nipah outbreak is a minor one and caused by usual bat-eating cretins.