Kerala Floods - Aftermath and Save Sabarimala

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Re: Kerala Floods - Aftermath and Save Sabarimala

Post by hnair »

Dileep wrote:Habal, I heard this "I will not get onto xtian boat" story once, but there is zero corroborating evidence. Not even any first hand account by the fisherfolk.

There was a news item posted on this thread about it with the name of the person who narrated it. That is all I have seen. If it was true, at least some news source would have got to that man and found out what happened.

I think it is a fabrication.
Fully agree, it is an obvious fabrication, since for such a hot-topic story, no fishermen has said on camera "That was us in this story" nor the namboodiri family identified. And this is a state where TV cameras were reeled into remote wells by noon, after nipah was reported in the morning! What would have happened is that some family might have hesitated to leave other members behind and instead asked the fishermen to take their beloved dog to safety. I would have done the same, if I am on rooftop with my family due to flood waters and a namboodiri came in a sandalwood boat, but none of my family members can be forced to leave

It is a BS story floated by leftists, to stoke their caste-based divisive agenda and hide the fact that their party men did jack during the floods, except to rob supplies meant for the masses. What scared them the most is the respect that fishermen got from richest of the land. If classes and masses collaborate whither communism?

We can see that happening with Sabarimala too. Except that is ONE temple in Kerala, where caste was never a variable in any equation :lol:
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

chetak wrote: ...
Anjali George fights more for Hindu issues than a majority of Hindus themselves.

This is one gutsy lady and is to be much appreciated.
It may be a mistake to assume from the name that she is not a Hindu. Nowhere in her presentation did I get the impression that she is not a Hindu. One possibility is that she is married to one Mr. George.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

btw, finally the Field Marshal seem to have budged and sent across some "advisors" to the state leadership..... I see very specialized clips popping up in a persuasive fashion in the signal stream..... Atleast that part got addressed
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Dileep wrote:This "Secular Temple" concept is our own doing. We (ie the devotees who fought the yuvathi entry) used the fact that people from other religion also come there as a point of argument. It kind of backfired now.
By law all devaswom board temples are supposed to allow only Hindus. I have posted that excerpt some posts back. Is there a reason why that is not being followed ?
zoverian
BRFite

Post by zoverian »

Dileep wrote:^^Yes it is verified by multiple sources. You can also call their land line number and check yourself.
Thanks Mate! Even here in Singapore many Indians especially south Indians are angry with SC decision, full support to the devotees. Anyways will do our contribution.

Swamiye Sharanam Ayyapaa!
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Mean while the South Indian state ministers in charge of temple affairs have asked the "progressive & secular" GoKL to take a hike. Sabarimala: South Indian ministers skip meeting, CM didn't attend.
Dileep wrote:Ramana, so, you think lighting Diya is worse than wearing the thread and claiming to be a Shiv Bhakt? The good thing about Xtianity is that all you need is the help of an ordained priest to wash away the sin!!
Actually Pappu played it safe here. He said he personally does not want to discriminate (?) women in Hindu temples but he has also full "go ahead" to KL Congress-men to be with the devotees as he realises that the local sentiments are against the verdict.
habal wrote:How caste discrimination during and after Kerala floods has affected dalits, adivasis
The report you quoted seems to have come with no proper validation. It is more of a he said/she said kind of a story. And today after the Supreme Court verdict, I have seen very active social media campaigns to cause caste based conflicts within the Hindu society (who showed some signs of unity against the Sabari Mala verdict). And many of these campaigns are coming from non-Hindus (whose sudden love for Lord Ayyappa have baffled me ;)).

Mean while..
Sabarimala: High level committee finds illegal constructions.
Sabarimala: Online booking facility commences. As per this report it is now visit the temple and return within 48 hours.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Sachin, look at population breakup of kerala. It is from open source material.

percentage of muslims in kerala: 26.56%
percentage of xtians in kerala: 18.38%
percentage of dalits in kerala: 9.8%
percentage of ezhava in kerala: 20.90%
percentage of sheduled tribes in kerala: 1.14%

77% is more or less arrayed against BJP.
muslim percentage is deceiving because that does not translate across all assembly seats. They are just swollen in their own pockets.
Ezhava youth is divided between BJP and DYFI.
Ezhava elders are more or less with CPI(M)
Very few dalits are in BJP camp.

considering you take an extremely optimistic 50% of ezhavas as pro-BJP and 50% of dalits as pro BJP. You are still left with 60% hardcore anti-BJP.

You really think a social media campaign will change facts on ground. Hardcore will not be swayed by social media campaign.
People of Chengannur, thiruvalla, kozhencherry, pathanamthitta have a certain ill-repute in state. You may not know if one is not from around those parts.
It is said that you cannot trust these people because of their selfish nature (generalizing but this is folklore).
People in malabar, areas above trichur viz palakkad, malappuram, kannur, kozhikode, kasargod usually do not seek alliances for their children from areas south of trichur. There are drivers from malabar who drive cabs to southern kerala but do not eat anything from anywhere south of trichur. So the reputation of southern parts precedes them in northern areas.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

habal wrote:Sachin, look at population breakup of kerala. It is from open source material.
considering you take an extremely optimistic 50% of ezhavas as pro-BJP and 50% of dalits as pro BJP. You are still left with 60% hardcore anti-BJP.
You really think a social media campaign will change facts on ground.
The social media campaign is to defend the existing Sabari Mala temple & its traditions, and not an election campaign of BJP. Even many of the people who protest against the verdict are not BJP sympathisers. As I write this there is a rumour (and reported by on line media) which talks about CPI(M) desperately trying to "encourage" its women cadre to make a trip to the shrine. So far they have not been able to make much progress. May be they would get some one from the criminal cuckoo-land of Kerala; the northern districts where CPI(M) is pretty much the "religion" ;).

PS: Or was the "social media campaign" you mentioned, about the communist,non-Hindu groups attempt to divide the Hindus on caste lines?
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Sachin, what I meant was that there are very few fence sitters in Kerala who may be impacted by social media campaign. Everyone has very strong opinion and people are not open minded to accept any counter naratives from what I have seen.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Social media campaigns work on peoples POV on issues, not on basic party affinity if any. Of course there are a number of people leaving the CPIM because of the SMala fiasco., but that is not really a social media impact.

A great % of people are not party aligned. Those are the people, mostly yindoo and some xtian who cause the 5 year toggle switch in the state. If BJP plays the SMala card right, they can grab this block on 'issue based' and get some seats in the state. I hope they do, purely because of my vested interest in SMala.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

UP with far complex caste and region equations fell into the lap, albeit with a little help of demonetization.
Here to chances seem bright if cards are played right.
Coincidentaly Save sabarimala Rath yathra will begin on nov 8, 2nd anniversary of demonetization.
mappunni
BRFite

Post by mappunni »

KLNMurthy wrote:
chetak wrote: ...
Anjali George fights more for Hindu issues than a majority of Hindus themselves.

This is one gutsy lady and is to be much appreciated.
It may be a mistake to assume from the name that she is not a Hindu. Nowhere in her presentation did I get the impression that she is not a Hindu. One possibility is that she is married to one Mr. George.
No Sir Anjali was born and raised in a Christian family. But became influenced by Sanathana Dharma, that she started to follow it. She says our culture is Indic/Vedic.

She has stated this in her tweet. You will be able to find information on this at @kuvalayamala. She along with a few others have used Sai Deepak to file lawsuits in various cases which are direct assault on Dharmic traditions.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

mappunni wrote:
KLNMurthy wrote:
No Sir Anjali was born and raised in a Christian family. But became influenced by Sanathana Dharma, that she started to follow it. She says our culture is Indic/Vedic.

She has stated this in her tweet. You will be able to find information on this at @kuvalayamala. She along with a few others have used Sai Deepak to file lawsuits in various cases which are direct assault on Dharmic traditions.
thanks for clearing that up.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

habal, I suggest you take some rest as you are posting lies, rumors and making divisive remarks even after two admins refuted them.

I have a good mind to ban you and will still consider it.
Not a threat but just where I am now.
If you can contribute to unity on this National Unity Day you are welcome.
If not have to show the door.

Folks we need to cut this constant sniping superior knowledge mindset.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

ramana wrote:habal, I suggest you take some rest as you are posting lies, rumors and making divisive remarks even after two admins refuted them.

I have a good mind to ban you and will still consider it.
Not a threat but just where I am now.
If you can contribute to unity on this National Unity Day you are welcome.
If not have to show the door.

Folks we need to cut this constant sniping superior knowledge mindset.
ramana, it is not an ego clash. No question of lies and rumour when I have regurgitated what I heard and so has everyone else. I do respect views of others and willing to learn. While discussions may seem acerbic I do keep my mind and heart open. Neither I am 100% right, nor is anyone else. We all see various parts of the elephant and learn from others. Else it is not discussion but war by words.

I will heed your advice though and stay away from this thread. Will not be participating here in future.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A time to head 4 the caves. The Yoo Ess Erection jollies are safer than this dhaga :shock: :eek:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Meanwhile Ministers from TN, AP, TS, and Karnataka refused to attend a meeting called by Kerala CM on Sabarimala.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Addressing the meeting, Kerala Devaswom minister Kadakampall ..

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst
They don't allow one to copy and past text any more. Gist: Ministers did not go so PV did not inaugurate. State "did not take single paisa from these temples, in fact gives HUGE amounts to them" (it is the Party that takes the money, what 2 do.. :(( )

Flood devasation total.
Facilities being set up, expect to have them by Nov. 11.
NO PLASTIC allowed even in head-top payload.
KSRTC Buses onlee past Nilackal, no private vehicles to approach the former site of the rest area.
Bound to implement SC diktat.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

UB here you go. The trick is to hit the print icon and then cancel the pop window Then copy.

Its a PTI report.

PTI is fully secular since Ne(h)ruji days.

Sabarimala: Kerala seeks cooperation of southern states over SC order, ministers keep off meeting
PTI | Oct 31, 2018, 0

Sabarimala: Kerala seeks cooperation of southern states over SC order, ministers keep off meeting

THIRVANANTHAPURAM: Kerala on Wednesday sought the cooperation of the southern states to implement the Supreme Court verdict on women's entry into the Sabarimala shrine, even as ministers from these states kept away from a meeting to discuss the arrangements for the annual pilgrimage season starting next month. According to the official schedule, the meeting was supposed to be inaugurated by Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan.

However, as Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Puducherry sent their senior officials, instead of Devaswom ministers, to attend the meeting, Vijayan kept off.

{All these states provide a large majority of the devotees. And know a political hot potato if they are seen helping Vijayan desecrate the temple. The SC gave verdict on women's entry but they did not order Kerala to will fully desecrate the temple by bringing women forcefully.}

Addressing the meeting, Kerala Devaswom minister Kadakampally Surendran said the state government had the constitutional obligation to implement the apex court verdict and sought the cooperation of all the southern states. :((

The state had suffered massive devastation in the floods in August and Sabarimala, especially Pamba, had been badly affected, he said, adding that the "Nadappanthal" (resting place) at Pamba, the health centre and the toilet facilities had all been very badly damaged.

The restoration works at Pamba and the construction of additional facilities for pilgrims at the Nilakkal base camp had been entrusted with the Tata Project Limited at an estimated cost of Rs 25 crore, the minister said.

Almost all the works, including the facilities for accommodating 10,000 pilgrims, parking of 20,000 vehicles, besides those related to drinking water and the toilet blocks at Pamba and Nilakkal were nearing completion and were expected to be ready by November 11, he added.

The repair works of the roads damaged in the deluge were also nearing completion, Surendran told the meeting.

He thanked all the states that had contributed to the chief minister's disaster relief fund.

Elaborating on the arrangements for the three-month pilgrimage season beginning November 17, Surendran said the Ayyappa devotees would be regulated from Nilakkal and the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) would provide chain services from Nilakkal to Pamba and back.

Private vehicles would not be allowed beyond Nilakkal, which would be the base camp for the Sabarimala pilgrimage, as the floods had devastated the facilities at Pamba, he said.

The booking of KSRTC buses could be done online in advance as well as offline, Surendran added.

Plastic in any form was banned even inside the "Irumudikettu" (the offerings for Lord Ayyappa carried by the devotees), he said.

Wide publicity had to be given in vernacular languages by the print and electronic media across the south Indian states to build awareness among the "Guru Swamis" as well as the Ayyappa devotees, asking them to desist from carrying any plastic item even in the "Irumudikettu", the minister said.

{Moron beef-eating Dewasom Minister its not the plastic but the used sanitary napkin that was the problem}

He added that there was a widespread campaign in Kerala and other states against donating cash at Sabarimala and other temples of the Devaswom Board. :(( :(( :((

The state government was not taking a single penny from the revenue of these temples, Surendran said, adding that instead, it was granting huge funds for their adminstration every year. :rotfl:

Kerala had witnessed widespread protests by devotees after the state government made it clear that it was bound to implement the top court's verdict on entry of women of all ages into the hill shrine.

Opposition Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) have extended support to the agitation of the devotees, who want to preserve the centuries-old traditions of the temple.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ramana wrote:UB here you go. The trick is to hit the print icon and then cancel the pop window Then copy.

May your goats eat only the best plastic bottles and CPI(M) flags. . That is a big help. One learns something new every din.
Last edited by ramana on 01 Nov 2018 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited. Ramana
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Edited
Last edited by ramana on 01 Nov 2018 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited. Ramana
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Thanks Ramana. That was a very useful tip.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Interesting point to note: after losing the plot over jallikattu, the TN govt under EPS is openly non-anti-hindu. Wishes for yindoo festivals from the cm have riled up the dumeels who have always wished only for non-yindoo festivals. TN sends boatloads of samys of all classes to SM each year. Of they too decide to not contribute to the pockets, err coffers the DB might end up being bondi.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

^^Oh we are already doing ejucashun to the TN Swamys, asking them to bring only the traditional offerings and slips that read "Save Sabarimala". No money to be dropped in the Hundi.

It is working!

It is the Telugu Swamys with whom we need help. Most of us can't speak the language, and it is them who put the most money in the hundi. I request the members from Telugu region to help spread the message.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I heard Telugus contribute quite a large contingent to the annual pilgrimage.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

That is correct Ramana. Also they put lot of money in the Hundi. We have a running joke on it. Malloo Swamy goes and drops a Rs 500 Note into the hundi and feel great. Then he notice a Telugu Swamy dropping bundles of Rs 500 Notes.

Maybe your desi network can help spreading the word. I am not sure if the Kannada and Telugu versions are proper.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Body of that devotee chased by Kerala Police over the stone ledge found. His name is Shivdas.

https://twitter.com/nda4kerala/status/1 ... 84737?s=19

There is direct video evidence of policemen chasing him over the ledge.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Dileep no worries. It seems they are already doing the slip contribution.
Rumor is they also came up with idea on their own.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

KLNMurthy wrote: thanks for clearing that up.
It is an important piece of information. There may be many others who are silent but feel the same way as Ms. Anjali George. I hope those people come out and do speak out against the more fundamental elements among their leaders and the rank and file.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ramana wrote:I heard Telugus contribute quite a large contingent to the annual pilgrimage.
You are right Ramana. And they donate the maximum. Right now I am at a Railway Jn near Rajamundry. And I see Ayyappa devotees already moving around wearing the black dress.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Dileep,
That Tamil message you have posted above is a bit convoluted. Too many bhagavan and Iraivan and the message is not clear. I can send you a crisp message in email. Let me know.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Sachin wrote:You are right Ramana. And they donate the maximum. Right now I am at a Railway Jn near Rajamundry. And I see Ayyappa devotees already moving around wearing the black dress.

Please spread the word to those devotees sir.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Javee wrote:Dileep,
That Tamil message you have posted above is a bit convoluted. Too many bhagavan and Iraivan and the message is not clear. I can send you a crisp message in email. Let me know.
Please do. dileepks அட் ஜிமெயில்
Any volunteers for Kannada and Telugu? (other suggestions also welcome)
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Dileep- oru suggestion.
Why don't you write your message in English and post it here. The local language people here will do a translation with the right context and idiom appropriate to their language.

I read the Hindi part and the message was not super clear to me.....don't take any gift, not even a Ruppee.....this is the only way to stop the sale of god by Devaswom board ..? The font I see is off a bit and maybe this is why. The e matra (kay) shows up as something odd. Atleast some reason has to be given in the meassage as to what is the objectionable part and why. The message is aimed at people who do not know the context, so please mention it.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Padma Pillai @lotophagus

Humble Pranamams to @CMofKarnataka @TelanganaCMO @ncbn @CMOTamilNadu for refusing to send their ministers for @CMOKerala 's #Sabarimala meeting.

Irrespective of political compulsions, you honored the sentiments of your people!

Swamy Sharanam!
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

How about this:
Dear Devotee of Sabarimala Swamy Ayyappa,

You would be aware of the attempts of the govt of Kerala and the Devaswom Board to destroy our beliefs on our Swamy Ayyappa by forcefully bringing women to the holy sannidhanam. They had been looting the money we offer at the temple for decades. This outrage must stop. We must assert our rights by denying the government the money.

The lord only wish our prayers and the offering of the Ghee Coconut and the customary coin. The lord does not wish for us to offer large sums of money, or to buy items like Appam and Aravana.

During your pilgrimage to Sabarimala, please bring only the above simple offerings. Please do not drop any money in the hundi. Please do not buy the Appam and Aravana offerings. Instead, drop slips of paper with inscription "Save Sabarimala Tradition" and Swamiye Saranam Ayyappa" in the hundi.

Let us pay back the arrogant government for the outrage they are trying to bring upon us devotees.
Malayalam Version
പ്രിയ അയ്യപ്പ ഭക്തരേ,

പരിപാവനമായ ശബരിമല സന്നിധാനത്തിൽ യുവതികളെ കയറ്റി, നൂറ്റാണ്ടുകളായി നമ്മൾ പുലർത്തിവരുന്ന വിശ്വാസങ്ങളെ നശിപ്പിക്കാൻ കേരള സർക്കാർ ഒരുങ്ങുന്നത് അറിഞ്ഞുകാണുമല്ലോ. സർക്കാരും ദേവസ്വം ബോർഡും ദശാബ്ദങ്ങളായി ക്ഷേത്രങ്ങളെ കൊള്ളയടിക്കുന്നു. ഇതു തടഞ്ഞേ പറ്റൂ! ക്ഷേത്രങ്ങളിൽ നിന്നും ഒരു പൈസ പോലും ഗവൺമെന്റിന് കിട്ടുന്നില്ല എന്നു നാം ഉറപ്പു വരുത്തണം.

ഭഗവാൻ സ്വാമി അയ്യപ്പന് നാം ഇരുമുടിക്കെട്ടിൽ കൊണ്ടുപോകുന്ന നെയ് തേങ്ങയും കാണിപ്പണവും മാത്രമേ അർപ്പിക്കേണ്ടതുള്ളു. ഭണ്ഡാരത്തിൽ പണം ഇടുന്നതും അപ്പം അരവണ പ്രസാദങ്ങൾ വാങ്ങുന്നതും ഭഗവൽ ഹിതമല്ല.

താങ്കൾ മല ചവിട്ടുമ്പോൾ, മേൽ പറഞ്ഞ വഴിപാടുകൾ മാത്രമേ നടത്താവൂ. ഭണ്ഡാരത്തിൽ പണം ഇടുകയോ അപ്പം അരവണ പ്രസാദങ്ങൾ വാങ്ങുകയോ ചെയ്യരുത്. "Save Sabarimala" എന്നും "സ്വാമിയേ ശരണം അയ്യപ്പാ" എന്നും എഴുതിയ കടലാസ് കഷണങ്ങൾ മാത്രമേ ഭണ്ഡാരത്തിൽ ഇടാവൂ.

ഭക്തരായ നമ്മുടെ മേൽ നടത്തുന്ന അത്യാചാരങ്ങൾക്ക് ഈ അഹന്ത നിറഞ്ഞ ഗവൺമെന്റിന് കൊടുക്കാവുന്ന തിരിച്ചടി അതാണ്!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sabarimala verdict: Kerala government has no locus standi to file an affidavit in favour of the petitioners

Sabarimala verdict: Kerala government has no locus standi to file an affidavit in favour of the petitioners

It should be noted here the prevailing customs of the Sabarimala pilgrimage do not constitute any notable violation of civil rights, violence or abuse nor incite enmity between other religions.

15th October 2018

P V Nalinakshan Nair

Till 1949, the erstwhile Travancore kingdom was the custodian of all Hindu temples in the region. It administered, managed and controlled the temples and in 1922 created the Devaswom Department under the Land Revenue Department.

The then rulers adhered to the principles of Sanathana Dharma since they were devout Hindus who believed in temple worship and customs. Therefore, before signing the instrument of accession with the Union of India, the princely states of both Travancore and Cochin wanted to ensure the control and management of the temples is indeed vested in those who profess and practise the Hindu Sanathana Dharma.

As per the tripartite Covenant of 1949 — signed by the Kings of Travancore and Cochin and the Indian government — the powers, functions, authority and assets of the temples wrested by the kings were transferred to the Devaswom Boards. Accordingly, the Travancore-Cochin Legislature passed the Travancore-Cochin Hindu Religious Institution Act 1950, which created the Travancore Devaswom Board and Cochin Devaswom Board. The Travancore Devaswom Board came into being seven years before the state’s first elected government assumed office.

As per Chapter II, Sections 3 and 15 of the Travancore and Cochin Hindu Religious Institution Act 1950, all the assets, authority and powers owned and exercised by the king devolved on the respective Devaswom Boards. Section 31 of the Act enjoins the Devaswom Boards to conduct the affairs of the temple in accordance with the prevailing practices and customs utilising the assets and exercising the authority devolved on them by virtue of Section 3 and 15 of the Act.

Thus the Kings of Travancore and Cochin ensured the control and management of the temples did not pass into the hands of non-Hindus, agnostics or atheists. It should be noted here the prevailing practices and customs of the Sabarimala pilgrimage do not constitute any notable violation of civil rights, violence or abuse nor incite enmity between or among other religions. Hence, the incumbent Kerala government has no locus standi to file an affidavit in favour of the petitioners in the case. The secular state has no legal or moral right to intervene in the case.

The Supreme Court ought not to have taken cognisance of such an affidavit filed by the state government. The Travancore Devaswom Board is duty bound to specifically point out the state governments’ limitations and lack of authority on the issue. Though they have failed miserably in the discharge of this duty, not much else can be expected of a board appointed by the same government.

A sizeable majority of pilgrims, after undertaking a 41-day penance, come to Sabarimala for Lord Ayyappa’s darsan. With no personal grooming and clad in black while remaining celibate throughout the period of the penance, the pilgrims surrender themselves totally to the Lord to unite with the divine grace. Had the Supreme Court been properly informed of the unique nature of the Sabarimala pilgrimage, the judges perhaps might have refrained from making uncalled for observations in the name of gender equality.

As per the Hindu Dharma Sasthras, customs and practices can indeed change according to time and place. When the so-called secular institutions of state and the judiciary foist their ideas on Ayyappa devotees, there is bound to be resistance and outrage.The perverse judgment and the state government’s support to it hurt true Ayyappa devotees, including young women.

Now, the Supreme Court verdict is under review. The Union government is a key signatory to the tripartite Covenant of 1949 and this holds good with respect to the functioning of the Travancore Devaswom Board and its practices.

As a signatory, the Union government had guaranteed the implementation of the provisions of the covenant. Any violation or negation of the spirit and import of the covenant calls for the present Union government’s intervention to nullify the effect of the perverse judgment.

(The writer is a former Travancore Devaswom Board commissioner. The views expressed are personal.)
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Dileep
I understand now. The context was missing in the Hindi version, probably because your note had to be concise. IMHO, The Hindi version needs perhaps -one- more line saying why the devotees should not drop money. In other words Devaswon will misuse it and more importantly The bigger issue is the Devaswom support for entry of women and countering the ancient tradition. ( I am not following this closely, only the broad outlines).

I am traveling and have little time to focus right now, ....and crafting a precise line requires some focus, but I've mentioned what content is needed in the text.

The one thing I'll mention is that a staunch devotees.....when they drop money ...they do it thinking the name of the God ....with no thought to what happens after it is in the hundi. In other words, a devotee might interpret being asked to give less money to god as being asked to compromise on the degree of his Bhakti to lord Ayyappa (even though the board uses it later). They may not want to do this. This might be an issue in the message you want to convey.
MurthyG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MurthyG »

Telugu version (with edits suggested by UB saar)!
స్వామియే శరణం అయ్యప్ప!
ప్రియమైన శబరిమల స్వామి అయ్యప్ప భక్తులార,
మీరు ఇప్పటికే వివిధ ప్రసార మాధ్యమాల ద్వారా కేరళ ప్రభుత్వం మరియు దేవాస్వోమ్ బోర్డు మన స్వామి సన్నిధానానికి బలవంతంగా స్త్రీలని తీసుకువచ్చి మన సనాతన ఆచారాల్ని బ్రష్టు పట్టించి మన నమ్మకాలని కించపరిచే ప్రయత్నాలను గమనించే ఉంటారు. దశాబ్దాలుగా మన ఆలయాలలో మనం సమర్పించే ధనాన్ని ప్రభుత్వం వారు దోచుకుంటున్నారు. ఈ ఆగడాలు ఇకనైనా ఆగాలి!! కేరళ ప్రభుత్వ దోపిడీని ఆపుదాం, భక్తులుగా మన అధికారాల్ని, సత్తాని చాటుదాం!

కేరళ ప్రభుత్వం మరియు దేవాస్వోమ్ బోర్డు మధ్య ఉన్న ఒప్పందాన్ని పూర్తిగా తప్పుదారి పట్టించి, దేవాస్వోమ్ బోర్డుని మన సనాతన ధర్మ వ్యతిరేకులు ఎన్నో కుతంత్రాలు చేసి తమ అధీనంలోకి తీసుకున్నారు. కాబట్టి, మనం దేవాస్వోమ్ బోర్డుని, తిరిగి హిందువుల అధీనం లోకి తేవాలి.

మన స్వామి భక్తి సులభుడు, అల్ప సంతోషి: ఆయన మన భక్తికి, మనం తెచ్చ్చే నెయ్యి, కొబ్బరికాయ, రూపాయి దక్షిణతోనే సంతోషపడతాడు కానీ వందలు-వేల రూపాయలు దక్షిణలు కానీ, అప్పాలు అరవణ ప్రసాదాలు కొనాలని కానీ కోరే స్వామి కాదు. ఆయన అందరివాడు కనుక, ఆయనకి భక్తి ప్రధానం. నియమ నిష్టలతో మనం చేసే దీక్ష ప్రధానం. అయన మన నుంచి ధన్నాన్ని ఆశించడు.

మన కష్టార్జితం, మన దేవాలయ అభ్యున్నతికి ఉపయోగ పడాలి కానీ సనాతన ధర్మాన్ని, మన ఆచారాల్ని నాశనం చేయడానికి కాదు. అందుకని, మీ శబరిమల యాత్రలో, స్వామికి పైన చెప్పిన సులభమైన కానుకలను మాత్రమే తీసుకుని రమ్మని వినమ్రంగా కోరుతున్నాము. మీరు దయచేసి, హుండీ లో కానుకలు వేయకండి. అప్పం మరియు అరవణ ప్రసాదాలు కొనకండి. సాధ్యమైతే " శబరిమల ఆచారాల్ని కాపాడండి (Save Sabarimala Tradition)" "స్వామియే శరణం అయ్యప్ప! ("Swamiye Saranam Ayyappa")" అని వ్రాసి హుండీలో వేయండి. ఈ కేరళ కమ్యూనిస్ట్ ప్రభుత్వ దురాహంకారాన్ని అయ్యప్ప స్వామి భక్తులంతా కలసి ఎండకడదాము.
స్వామియే శరణం అయ్యప్ప!
Last edited by MurthyG on 03 Nov 2018 06:36, edited 3 times in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Great to see Murthyji's translation (I am illiterate onlee). More such are needed.
The post from the Tiruvithamkoor Board Prez (I cannot understand why these fellows don't revert to decent spelling from the ignorant colonial spelling :twisted: ) makes important points. I wonder if they were argued before the Supreme Court when the case came up, in addition to all the thundering oratory about What Sri LordAyyappa Really Wants etc. that brought tears to the eyes of so many via WhatsApp.
Whether it is a valid argument to say that 1947 agreements hold post-1950 Constitution, is debatable, but it should be debated b4 the SC by competent lawyers.

But these points, highly summarized, might be good to include in translations/explanations such as Murthyji's
The government violates the agreement between the original Devaswom and the governments, and the Devaswom has been treacherously taken over by non/anti-Hindus
One-line justification to not give them any more money until they yield the Boards back to Hindu devotees.