Kerala Floods - Aftermath and Save Sabarimala

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: Kerala Floods - Aug 2018

Post by SaiK »

well, it is not a mad opening I suppose.. enough warning should have been issued - (multiple sirens). I'd not think irresponsibility even to be discussed here if the SOPS are to be followed.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

The SOS requests on this page in unreal.

https://keralarescue.in/requests/?district=

This from a school turned shelter house
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Housing developments are supposed to have a "water detention area" whose function is to slow down flow and arrest erosion, and "water retention areas" which are low points, maybe dredged down quite a bit, capable of storing significant amounts. I remember nearly being conned into buying such a house, whose "property" included a big jungle-like pit/mini-amphitheater (Water Detention Area). It sort-of belonged to the community (I couldn't demolish it). Was too inexperienced, so I walked away from that, it was one nice house, much better than what we thought we could afford. May be used for tennis courts/wrestling rings in the dry seasons (or to park the Mercedes/Lamborghinis, at least the boats...). This would increase the elasticity of dealing with heavy rains, and control erosion. Look at all those muddy floods: that's all good Malloostani earth that could have been distributed carefully along the beaches to fight the rising sea and build the Kochi-Lakshadweep Expressway!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

SaiK wrote:well, it is not a mad opening I suppose.. enough warning should have been issued - (multiple sirens). I'd not think irresponsibility even to be discussed here if the SOPS are to be followed.
With ppl as WhatsApp-FB-tuned as Malloostanis, **ANY** warning would have been heeded: esp in the hi-ticket areas I mentioned.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Wonder what happens to the New India Assurance Co....
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

srin wrote:Many roads to Kodagu have gotten blocked due to landslides. Civil defence etc have been activated (I'm tuned into activity that a bit as a ham).
Yes indeed. 40 Civil Defence wardens are on the way from Bangalore. Again most of them are HAMs (and I am one too). The NDRF, IAF and IA units who are present in KA and TN states would now have to split their sources, some will have to go to (or already gone) Kodagu.
nvishal wrote:The SOS requests on this page in unreal.
Did'nt fully understand what you meant "unreal". But yes, the nature of problems is now changing. Now lot of people have been moved to refugee camps, and there the issues are of a different nature. It is related to food availability and even some thing which many people would ignore; sanitary napkins. These are not SOS messages, but more like "help requests" calls.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

forces are already there in kodagu.

follow https://twitter.com/DefenceMinIndia

from yesterday :
Raksha Mantri
‏Verified account @DefenceMinIndia
Aug 17

#OpMadad -Yesterday evening, Kerala Govt revised the projected requirement for motorised boats from 100 to 600.

@indiannavy & @IndiaCoastGuard will provide all available assets (approx 450). Rest will be taken on hire & provided by armed forces.

#KeralaFloods2018 @nsitharaman
15 replies 193 retweets 550 likes
Raksha Mantri
‏Verified account @DefenceMinIndia
Aug 17

#OpMadad - MoD has decided to deploy at least 1 helicopter at each district headquarter in Kerala.

@IAF_MCC has been instructed the same. Except for extreme weather conditions, these deployments should complete by tonight.

#KeralaFloods2018 @nsitharaman
2 replies 88 retweets 198 likes
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Coorg/Kodagu is on Western Ghats, House and roads on the mountains. It is similar to areas in NE.

Here is some details on what happened in Coorg.

https://www.priyabelliappa.com/blog/the ... ains-fell/

Luckily it has Mysore/Bangalore on one end and access to the coast through Mangalore on the other end. So resources should reach the place.

Mlore-Blore rail link is broken due to landslide.
Last edited by nam on 18 Aug 2018 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

UB Sir, there was a proposal for the Mullaperiyar problem, which is to make a tunnel at a much lower level, to drain off all water early and maintain low level in the dam. It is readily rejected by the CMO like this. "Adey Kuppuchamee, antha Kerala "Dam Sef Onlee" letter kaappi anuppi vidu". They apparently have a bunch of letters cyclostyled which says "Dam sef onlee. Level 142 Onlee", which would be prompted by Peon Kuppuchamy avargal.

TN's interest i to store as much of water in the reservoir and use it for the intended (irrigation) and unintended (power generation) throughout the year. If they take all the water as it comes, there are multiple problems:

1. No place to store. They can not have a reservoir large enough without taking up a lot of very valuable agricultural land. Remember that the terrain is essentially flat, so a lot of area will be needed to store the water. If they store the water in the MP dam, it is pretty deep and less area onlee.

2. Can't handle the flow. It is actually too much water. Of course, you can ask for twenty channels, practically multiplying the expense by 15, and taking up much more arable land.

3. Can't admit even an iota that the dam could be remotely unsafe. They very well know that give an inch there, it is a gone case.

4. Don't give a hoot. It is lives of their rightful colony, so who cares?

They already have two channels to take water east. One is a canal (original one). The other is the tunnel and penstock they use to generate power (which is not part of the agreement, BTW). They can take out significant amounts of water, but not the 1000+Cumecs
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Dileep wrote: 2. Can't handle the flow. It is actually too much water. Of course, you can ask for twenty channels, practically multiplying the expense by 15, and taking up much more arable land.
This is very true. The Western Ghats generate incredible amount of rain, similar to NE areas.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

All sound good - great excuses! until the next year's floods. And the year after that. With more development comes more losses. Meanwhile from SEWA
Date: Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 10:46 PM
Subject: #KeralaFloods 5 Day Sewa International Status Reports
To:
Namaste,
Over 300 people have lost their lives, and more than 100,000 homes destroyed. More than 200,000 people displaced by the rains are now lodged in 1,500+ relief camps across the 14 districts under difficult conditions.
Over 5,000 volunteers representing 352 Sevabharathi units are engaged in the relief works in the flood-affected districts in Kerala.
Please find the attached 5 Day status report. Please share this report with all those who have donated to Sewa International.
Thanks & Regards
Sewa International President, Prof. Sree Sreenath announced an immediate grant of $10,000 toward flood relief. Sewa International in the US, along with its India partner, Sevabharathi Keralam, is involved in rescue and relief operations. Over 5,000 Sewa volunteers have fanned out distributing food packets and cooking kits, and are opening free kitchens and medical camps to help the flood affected.
Over volunteers have fanned out distributing food packets and cooking kits, and are opening free kitchens and medical camps to help the flood
affected. ..“Given the immediate need for help, we decided to release $10,000 in our first tranche of funds toward flood relief. We are in regular contact with our India partner, and our volunteers are joining hands with other relief agencies ... We have experience in providing disaster recovery around the world, and we will work hard to get people the help they need. We have also setup a 24 hour US helpline number for assistance on Kerala Floods for US residents sending rescue requests on behalf of their loved ones trapped in various parts of Kerala.”
(Start sound of violins playing..)
water from the lake adjoining the house of Sewa volunteer Sanjay Poduval's in-laws in Thrissur overflowed, flooding their home and leaving them in knee-deep water. The water rose by the hour and they desperately needed help. Hearing this news, Sanjay immediately contacted Sevabharathi Keralam, partner organization of Sewa International, and a WhatsApp group called "#KeralaFloods Sewa Support". Within 15 minutes, Gopakumar from the San Francisco Bay Area, and Gokul Kunnath from Atlanta flashed the message to the people on the ground at Thrissur, 8,883
miles away. A relieved Sanjay tweeted: "Thanks to Gopakumar's and Gokul’s timely help, we were able to rescue my in-laws and they are now safe in our relative's home in Thrissur. Thanks also to Achalesh, Sachin and the entire Sewa support team. Really proud to be part of this team".
Take with small pinch of NaCl for seasoning, but commendable effort anyway.
Over 5,000 volunteers representing 352 Sevabharathi units are engaged in the relief works in the flood-affected districts in Kerala. Twenty four medical camps have been opened in Kuttalanadu regions in Alapuzha District, one of the most flood-affected areas in the state. More .. to be opened in the coming days. With the support of well-wishers and volunteers, various relief camps are directly organized by Sevabharathi providing basic supplies, food, accommodation, and medical services. Fouty three ambulances of Sevabharathi have been pressed into service in the flood relief work in different areas. Hundreds of common people are joining hands with Sevabharathi to support these initiatives and the organization is mobilizing clothes, food grains, drinking water bottles, and other material from the public to serve the affected people. In each district, a collection center is opened to collect the materials from the public and to arrange the transportation to relief places. The state leadership team of Sevabharathi is directly monitoring the activities in each district.
Sewa International has set a target to raise $500,000 towards Kerala flood relief.
• Sewa International will continue to engage for several months through the rehabilitation phase.
“We commit 100% of donations to the victims of Kerala floods with only 3.3% overhead expenses -- the lowest among NGOs in our category”
Prof. Sree Sreenath, Ph.D., President, Sewa International
In this hour of need, Sewa urges everyone to donate generously.
1. Online: http://www.sewausa.org/donate
Select “Kerala Floods” in the projects dropdown
2. Check:
Make to “Sewa International” and mail to: Sewa International,
P O Box 820867, Houston, TX 77282-0867
Many corporations in the US participate in grant matching.
Your contribution may qualify. Please check with your employer.
Sewa International is a non-profit registered under Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3), and all your donations are tax-deductible.
http://www.facebook.com/sewausa http://www.twitter.com/sewausa
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Moving north along coast. Might be over now.

https://mosdac.gov.in/monsoon_2018/
On left panel, under "rainfall weekly", toggle week for prediction
Last edited by nvishal on 18 Aug 2018 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Sachin wrote:
srin wrote:Many roads to Kodagu have gotten blocked due to landslides. Civil defence etc have been activated (I'm tuned into activity that a bit as a ham).
Yes indeed. 40 Civil Defence wardens are on the way from Bangalore. Again most of them are HAMs (and I am one too). The NDRF, IAF and IA units who are present in KA and TN states would now have to split their sources, some will have to go to (or already gone) Kodagu.
What's your call sign ? I'm three-echo-charlie-bravo, btw. I think we may be on the same india-india-hotel whatsapp group.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Great link, srinji. But one pooch:
If i click on "Anomaly" for July and August, i c that it was just a bit over normal, and that mainly around Palakkad. Everywhere else, there is nothing remarkable. What gives? CTs abound...

I would not classify a WEEKLY anomaly as "Climate Change", unless it is like double the average or more, hain? Preparedness to handle variance is that poor? This is why I am worried about an actual CYCLONE appearing this time of the year. I think in 1924 it did: roofs were blown off well inland. And there was one in 1900 as well I think. A good Cat 4/5 cyclone can dump a couple of year's worth of rain in about 4 days. And no rescue helicopters will fly either. What happens when MP and Idukki collapse same day?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

how do i see the timeline on the mosdac link?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

deleted
Last edited by UlanBatori on 19 Aug 2018 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

UlanBatori wrote:left side panel has many things. One is Monthly Anomaly. Click July and then August.
By all rights, Coorg/north Karnataka should have dissolved.
See the neews reports wrt Coorg it is inundated. The thing is areas in Bhagamandala etc have every year huge rains ans it is the birth place of the Cauvery river and are used to water levels rising 3-5 meters !(Houses are buiilt woth steps up tosuch a high height before the main house - something like stilts) however even they are reeling with the huge inflows
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Yup, it is not palakkad, batori ji, it is waynad/kozhikode area for this and next week [but still not out of danger]. moving up north. kasargod/kodagu should be the focus area for more disasters.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Coastal Karnataka historically gets quite a heavy rainfall every year, however being close to the sea it helps. It is normal to have constant rainfall for 3 days at once.

This year however, the lower areas of the entire Mangalore city was flooded in the first day of the annual rains! You can imagine the amount of rain required to flood a city on the coast. Never has happened in the past 30-40 years. The water then disappeared the next day!

This year's rain is quite unusual. May be it due to human activity, it is causing floods or just some unusual weather pattern.

The summer was hot and generally hot summer tend to take more water from "North West region of Indian Ocean"
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

No place to store. They can not have a reservoir large enough without taking up a lot of very valuable agricultural land.
The gist of the Caliphoriastan article I posted b4 is that dams are now passe. "New" storage mode is Acquifer, underground, and way to store is simply flood field above and keep it flooded. Replenish ground water table until whole place is swelled up and ready to float. Saw a CalTech dynamic simulation that shows CA "breathing" like the tummy of a sleeping and well-fed cat as water storage changed from drought to flood and back. Most of KL and TN had "teppakulam" or "chira/kulam" respectively which acted as very effective Water Retention/Detention ponds, and kept water table replenished. Need to enforce those again all over the states, looking at contour maps and using all low-lying areas but also create them in every neighborhood to arrest erosion due to high-speed flow.

By this logic the ground under MP and other reservoirs must be suitably waterlogged, but apparently that does not spread widely. So surface/near-surface high-flow tubes/canals are needed to do the first-level distribution over many miles. It's really not that much raakit science: canal network already exists. The idea of using the canals for year-round transmission to acquifer storage, is not done. Got to check the CA acquifer article if they do anything more sophisticated. Basically, every home can easily have year-round water storage underground if they have manual or electric pumps. No sunlit land area lost.

Chennai had chronic and worsening water scarcity until recently. Now apparently not an issue. Reason? The late "Thaa" introduced "voluntary" rainwater harvesting for every bldg, residential or commercial. Voluntary, but she wondered aloud why guvrmand should voluntarily give scarce electric power to ppl who did not have voluntary rh. since they had to have rolling blackouts due to power shortage and would like some volunteers to not get power at all. :eek:

So these things are possible given guvrmand will.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I presume that this monjoon has not reached Pakistan/Indus Valley? 8) (just being nasty and hopeful..) It HAS been unusual. Came very early, like 4th week of May!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

UB Sir, I take that you accept my points. In our school days, we even ha a 'kunnathunadan bhasha' for gurus accepting points made by shishyas. അറ്റ കൈ: "ഇരിയെടാ അവിടെ!" (Rough translation: Last Resort: "You! Sit Down!".)

Aquifiers do work. But you do know that most of Kerala have ground water within 10 metres of the surface year round. Of course there are areas where wells go dry, but those wells are shallower than that, and ended because they hit solid rock. Also, most of the areas I know have wells filling upto the brim during monsoon.

Now, going across the fence to TN. I believe we could bring a significant area in the southwest TN to good ground water levels if we can get the excess water across by whatever "Bhageeratha's Effort" needed. I see a few problems with that.

1. Civil Construction effort will be that of "Bhageertha"
2. The construction will cause Destruction of the "very sensitive ecosystem of the western ghats". You could probably build a rope way between Munnar and Theni with the twisted panties that result.
3. Millions of acres of land will have to be physically converted to take the water. The soil in TN do not readily absorb water as of now, so you will have to literally flood the area for the water to get down. It will take decades of cycling for the soil microstructure to mimic that of KL,which sucks water like a sponge.
4. During these decades, the agricultural system of the TN will suffer a transcient loss. You lose half the year's growing season. Right now, they use the land the entire year, thanks to the Mullaperiyar water.

To summarize, it will need a "Bhageeratha's Effort" (where is the money, and what is the RoI?) cause hardship for the farmers there for decades before the place turns similar to GoC. What it will do for KL is totally unknown.

Now: How will we get electricity? Humble question onlee. Dams are passe it seems.

Expecting another "ഇരിയെടാ അവിടെ!"
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Yesterday morning, Trivandrum Collector Vasuki sent out a whatsapp note, asking for 50 volunteers for bundling relief packets at Trivandrum Air Force station's Technical gate. Went there with three other friends, since due to bridge failures, the road clearance to neighboring Kollam and Pathanamthitta was not yet given for civilian convoys and heli-drop was the only way. We worked for a few hours, manually unloading a C17, under guidance of Airforce and NDRF personnel.

For first time in my life, I did headload of full size sacks of grain, unloaded the craft onto waiting civilian trucks (given free of cost by owners and driven for free by drivers), which took the supplies to the processing point at the periphery of the apron. There we along with other volunteers who were already busy, unloaded the small civilian trucks and then packed these into plastic sacking. 10 kg of ready to eat supplies like bread, biscuits, water, juice etc as well as sanitary napkins, basic medicines were loaded. We were told to make sure there are airpockets so it can float after the drop but the knots can be untied by bare hands.

Just before we were being bused over to the waiting C17, a junior afsar asked the AF driver if there is water in the bus and food for us. Some youngster chirped saying "we are fine". He just ignored that and made sure a crate of water and biscuits were put in. Later I told the youngster about General Omar Bradley's dictum "amateurs talk strategy, professional talk logistics", pointing out that if one of us fell dehydrated inside the C17, it will add on to the situation. But the care shown by the IAF afsars were amazing in general.

A few observations of the volunteer crowd
- All of the volunteers, except us three were just kids, late teens or early 20s.
- Lot of them looked visibly affluent, wearing good clothing/shoes
- Some of them looked frail and some were over weight, needed help carrying loads, which was readily given
- A good percent were girls, who did the packing etc
- None took out their phones for selfies during the entire process or slacked off, except for a drink

Finally, when we lined up (tired and dusty) after the trucks got filled to brim and the C17 was empty, the senior afsar smiled and said, "allright, you can take a few" and out comes the phones :) But then the senior afsar pointed out that the giant engines hanging limply off those wide wings are going to start turning in a minute..... The phones went back in after loosing off a few selfies and bus got instantly filled up

So next time, when someone writes about "Yoootthh nowadays! Selfies onleee! They amount to nothing, unlike my days", showing classic "Old men in park benches" syndrome, I got a contrarian view -the rich kids of this gen are better than your generation. They dont sit in front of TV and yell at NBJP, they go out and do shyte

Due to the atmosphere, the jingo in me barely registered two peacock-Dhruvs, three An 32s, one IL78 (talked to the driver after seeing his aerial refueling patch), one C130J and of course the C17, which roared away immediately for more supplies from NDRF stashes around the country. The IL78 came with NDRF personnel, with their hi-visibility uniforms. Helicopters were buzzing back and forth with SAR people etc. I saw an officer with UAV patch. Looks like Searchers were deployed

Ok, logging off
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

What do I propose (FWIW)?

I do not believe any of these "first world solutions" will work, because we are still Kerala, with the Neta-Babu nexus. My firm take is that events like this can not be prevented, but we can prepare to have a much better and efficient response.

People did not have the correct impression of the area under threat. On day 1, I was surprised to hear certain area near NAD started flooding. Going to Google Earth, I could actually trace the path using the altitude indication. Eye Opener!! After that, I could follow and to some extent predict the threats. So, we need to make a system that can accurately predict and warn people.

Solution: Need to create an updated contour map. I believe the SAR satellite can do this. Then build a simulation model that co-relates flow at a key entry point(Bhoothathankettu for Greater Ernakulam for example) to the area under threat. Then this model can accurately predict the area that is going to see water well in advance, upto 12 hours. You don't need super computers for this. A bunch of kids with matlab can do this. Why? Because we do not need CFD. We simply need to do geometric leveling. Simple empirical formulae could be used to estimate "filling time" of areas. This data can then be disseminated as a simple map based app.

Idea: Google data already will give you 'not so accurate, but useable' geo data. Maybe we can farm out the workto colleges here. Let me see if my KB boss would like to sponsor. His mansion got affected and he had to move to a hotel at higher grounds.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

There is tremendous improvement in situation in Kerala. In many districts roads are now opened up and even public transport is now operating. Chengannur, Allappey Dt. seems to be the place even now worst hit. So perhaps if this move at this level by Thiruvonam Day (main day of Onam) people at least can be at their homes to "celebrate" (!?) in a real foul mood. Images are coming of houses from where water has now receded. Dead snakes, rats and other foul materials etc have messed up things. It would take some time, effort & money to clean up these homes.

Flood situation calms down; Red alert revoked.
Coast Guard undertakes 'Operation Water Baby' in Kerala.
Central Railway sends over 14 Lakh litres of drinking water to Kerala by special train.
KSRTC buses resume service; Train services partially restored.
hnair wrote:So next time, when someone writes about "Yoootthh nowadays! Selfies onleee! They amount to nothing, unlike my days", showing classic "Old men in park benches" syndrome, I got a contrarian view
Yes, the youth has been in the forefront. For major part of yesterday I was part of a group which was channelising the distress messages coming in and pushing it to a call centre associated with www.keralarescue.in . Pretty much every one involved were young folks, many of them from outside Kerala. My understanding that Infosys and TCS had helped in setting up a call centre quickly. By today from the messages coming in, it looks SoS situations have become very much minimised. The focus seems to be shifting to food & relief materials.

Such incidents IMHO brings out both good & bad aspects of every society. Yesterday I was hearing about looting of super market, looting of a liquor outlet and about women bashing up a group of young college girls*. There was another idiot who called in a rescue helicopter to take a selfie :(. And today I here the other side from you.

* The bash up was due to the college hostel girls calling in a helicopter, with the old women gang saying that the helicopters arrival messed up things at their home (wind gush from rotor blades)?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Hnair, dileep, Sachin all of you have been doing a stellar job at the ground level and keeping us updated with how the situation is evolving.

I also urge you to share your experiences and suggestions with the relevant authorities including the NDRF as to how should we as a nation update our disaster management practices and be better prepared for the future.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

looting of super market, looting of a liquor outlet
In these circumstances, the right word is "showing initiative in requisitioning essential medicines". Glad to hear that in this generation of wunderkinden there are at least some normal ppl :)
Great work!! The use of phones again this time has been fantastic, and now officials have learned to USE this help given by the people rather than fight it.

Hate to have to state the obvious and appear heartless, but the refugee camps for temporary flood evacuees will have done absolute wonders to unite people in a common experience, without having to go through something much worse such as a riot or war. Now ppl might find it more relevant to take interest in causes for the common good rather than tiptoeing from their hermetically-sealed luxury SUVs in knee-high boots rather than demand end to garbage dumping on streets. Maybe the next month's episodes of "Vanampadi" and "Thattiyum Muttiuym" will switch from World Cup and "wimmen-beating yindoo" themes to flood themes. That would guarantee a social revolution.

Dileepji: the more I read, the more convinced am I that this was not only anthropogenic in the deforestation/code-ignoring sense, it was very close to being criminally insane/deliberate. Remembering the mentality of those in power... What was the need to do coordinated water release from 80 dams in the middle of the night I wonder. Note that the issue is actual water release by opening gates, not the overflow diverters which were already operating. So the issue was that the overflow diverters do not have enough capacity to match inflow at flood times, **AND** the option of simply letting the water flow over the top is not acceptable because it may ruin the "KSEB" painted signs and picture of the CM on the bridge at the dam top. IOW, the dams are not designed to take full capacity up to the top, and they have to REDUCE levels because of fear.

As for dams generating power, yes, KSEB claims that 21 out of 29GW of installed capacity is hydroelectric. Don't know about reality of "capacity" vs. actual generation year-round. Idukki was built to generate enough power for both KL and TN in the 60s but the entire first-gen of imported generation equipment died of rust waiting to be installed, courtesy of commiestan and congistan. Don't know if there is a second-gen actually generating, or if it is just "installed capacity". Peechi near Trissur got its first micro-gen system about 3 saal pehle (I know the ppl who did that), after the dam had been there for over a century. And that system was essentially idle except for a couple of months in the rainy season because of water shortage. Kerala has immense hydro-electric POTENTIAL, as much as POTENTIAL in many other things. But see "anthropogenic" above.

Mullaperiyar generates power at the Lower Periyar power station, rated at 180MW compared to 780 for Idukki. Incidentally, the flow to the power station is:
Currently, the water from the Periyar (Thekkady) Lake created by the dam, is diverted through the water shed cutting and a subterranean tunnel to Forebay Dam near Kumily (Errachipalam). From the Forebay dam, hydel pipe lines carry the water to the Periyar Power Station in Lower Periyar. This is used for power generation (180 MW capacity) in the Periyar Power Station.[22][23][24] From the Periyar Power Station, the water is let out into Vairavanar river and then to Suruliyar and from Suruliyar to Vaigai Dam.
About tunneling etc, your opinion on "too much effort" is shared by British engineers of the 1800s: c b lo
Feasibility studies
The unique idea of harnessing the westward flowing water of the Periyar river and diverting it to the eastward flowing Vaigai river was first explored in 2018 by Ulan Batori, and was then cited in 1789 by Pradani Muthirulappa Pillai, a minister of the Ramnad king Muthuramalinga Sethupathy, who gave it up as he found it to be expensive.[26] The location of the dam had first been scouted by Captain J. L. Caldwell, Madras Engineers (abbreviated as M.E.) in 1808 to reconnoitre the feasibility of providing water from the Periyar river to Madurai by a tunnel through the mountains. Caldwell discovered that the excavation needed would be in excess of 100 feet in depth and the project was abandoned with the comment in his report as "decidedly chimerical and unworthy of any further regard".[19]
Of course engineers of that time managed to set up Indian railways, which would be considered totally too much Bhageeratha Prayatnam for todin's commie speechmakers/ass-scratchers.

It's fairly clear that of the 4 legs supporting the case for dams, the "flood control" is working only in the "induce floods" sense. Irrigation I think does work, but the argument is to reduce need by going to acquifers/ micro rainwater harvesting. The hydro power leg is effective only in the rainy season. Which leaves the Tourism/Boat Ride leg, but is that worth inundating fertile land for the rejerboir? I totally buy the "First-World Solutions Don't Work in Gawd's Own Country" argument when it has sensible alternative solutions, but "that is all too much effort" to describe a 9-mile pipeline/aqueduct system, just tells us why the italians of BCE were smarter (or had harder-working slaves and less corrupt Centurions).

Yeah, the point about the ropeway of twisted undies is quite accurate. They should argue that it is an erosion-arresting system and hence saves hajaar CO2-absorbing trees that would otherwise come down in lanslides. As for non-absorbent TN soil I just don't know enough: the soil seems to be OK for cultivation if there IS water. Every TN town used to have a "teppakkulam" (e.g. Madurai) back in Chola/Pandya dins. They do get a monsoon of sorts in December, though not much reaches the western parts.

But all said and done, I was basically repeating what the good Pradani M. Pillai and Capt. Caldwell were tasked to explore. Question is how to divert the OVERFLOW without having to open dam doors at the height of the rains into already swollen rivers. As for "ROI": when the damage estimates from the present SNAFU come out, a better handle on cost-vs. payoff could be derived, perhaps. The Insurance Companies may very well agree to fund the whole project, if they have smart and caring management.

Then again, this is a great boon for the furniture and garbage collection and car-cleaning industries. All those pics of fine Italian Leather furniture and Persian carpets in the filmy ishtars' mansions under muddy poowater, are heart-rending.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

And why giving $$ to the CM's fund is not necessarily the most effective way: see about Ayesha buying fuel for scooter, that I predicted yesterdin:
Even as the rest of Kerala heaved a sigh of relief with the red alert being withdrawn, parts of Alappuzha are struggling to rescue people who are still stuck in their houses, and to deliver food to those who don't want to come out. The road to Chengannur is flooded, and it is from Thakazhi that fishermen have been travelling to four panchayats – Edathuva, Nedumaran, Muttar and Champakulam to rescue people.

"We brought whatever kerosene and diesel we had and have been doing rescue operations here. We have not asked the government to pay us, but they can at least ensure we have enough fuel. We have run out of fuel and no one is willing to give it to us, they are asking for papers. So we have decided to stay here," he says.
A few of the boats that had some fuel left, did a few trips and brought out two dead bodies and many senior citizens who had been stuck in their houses for days.
Champakulam block Panchayat President Poly Thomas says the district administration wants the panchayat leaders to go to the Inland Waterways godown in Alappuzha town, several kilometres away, and procure the fuel.
"These people have come here because they are good Samaritans. If they were not there, many people would have died here. Should revenue officials not be standing here at this road that connects to four panchayats? They should have given fuel here rather than ask us to come to the town," he says.
A quick call to the Inland Waterways Godown showed that the Block Panchayat President's allegation was true. The godown in charge told TNM that the Champakulam Panchayat President needs to go with requisition papers to the fuel distribution point.

As the crowd gathered explaining their grievances, a man named Subahu said, "We should be thankful to these fishermen. The Navy hasn't come here once. NDRF came with three rubber boats and rescued six people. Then the motor in one of their boats failed. We have not seen them after that."
The angry voices grew with many saying that fishermen from Alappuzha and nearby districts had rescued close to thousands of people, and if not for them, the death toll would have risen rapidly.
Even the District Collector of Alappuzha confirmed the role of fishermen in the rescue ops. "Fishermen rescued many people with their boats. They were able to rescue 16000 people in the region using their boats. Their role in this rescue mission was immense," said a statement from the Alappuzha Collector.
Even as the crowd debates on whether local police and revenue officials had been of any help at all, three fishing boats come in. Two had dead bodies in them, and one had a frail old couple, who were helped out into an ambulance.
"The old man is 95 years old, he is bedridden, we had to lower him from his house on a bed sheet. He will be okay. The man who died is Rajan, he is 55 years old. He was in a relief camp, but he tried to go somewhere to pick up a bag and drowned. The other body is of an unidentified person. We had actually gone to rescue people, instead we have come back with two dead bodies," says a young fisherman who was the leader of the team.
When I asked him for his name, he said that wasn't relevant.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Scrambling to restore services.
Thiruvananthapuram had told TNM that the low-pressure area that had formed in Odisha and resulted in this sudden spell of heavy rain in Kerala has moved and is now being formed in the north-western part of the Bay of Bengal.
Since the rains have eased up in the state, several modes of transportation are resuming services to and from the state, albeit gradually.
Alliance Air has decided to operate commercial 70-seater ATR aircrafts from the Kochi Naval Air Base from Monday to Bengaluru and Coimbatore, while Railways are resuming services on the affected lines, with speed restrictions.
Roads across the state which were blocked due to landslides and waterlogging are slowly being cleared for use. As on Sunday, major roads connecting Ernakulam with Thrissur, Kottayam with Idukki and Ernakulam, Thrissur to Palakkad via Kuthiran, Thrissur and Kozhikode have been cleared for use.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

How they bring drinking water (recommended daily allowance of iron guaranteed..)
Amazing: the water is coming all the way from Pune!
(Also see how close the wunderkind standing on the wagon has his head to the power line..) :eek:
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Kerela, uttaranchal floods provide important lesson for hill areas. Landslide fatality for houses on hills and passes. The plains get filled with ponds due to topography halting all logistics. Current pics of boats going door to door(everyday) to deliver supplies is sad. The civilians should have been evacuated to camps as soon as water logging reached abnormal levels. I guess there is no authority stationed to take this decision(any part of india). Perhaps the thought of evacuation expenses and resources is something govt dont want to deal with. Nature has been throwing these curve balls(extremes leading to calamity) since these past 2 decades. Just a way of life now I suppose.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

https://www.facebook.com/67032187970052 ... 495089951/

Our sattelites and the rescue efforts. Article from Swarajya Magazine
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Wonder what they do through 100% cloud cover/rain/darkness.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

nvishal wrote:Moving north along coast. Might be over now.

https://mosdac.gov.in/monsoon_2018/
On left panel, under "rainfall weekly", toggle week for prediction
nvishal Ji :

In the above Map I have noticed a Pondicherry on the WEST COAST in Kerala - Nearly East of Lakshadweep and West from the Pondicherry on the East Coast of India.

Is there a Pondicherry in Kerala?

Cheers Image
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Puducherry lies in the southern part of the Indian Peninsula.The areas of Puducherry district and Karaikal district are bound by the state of Tamil Nadu, while Yanam district and Mahé district are enclosed by the states of Andhra Pradesh and Kerala respectively. Puducherry is the 29th most populous and the third most densely populated of the states and union territories of India. It has a gross domestic product (GDP) of ₹0.21 lakh crore (US$3.1 billion) and ranks 27th in India.[9]
Interesting factoid: "Pondicherry" is like PakistanX2: it has FOUR disconnected places! How does Le Marquis d'Pondi under dillistan govern these I wonder. :eek:

Imagine the cacophony in their Chambre du Guvrmand or whatever: reps speaking Telugu, Tamil, Oriya and Malloostani! Or do they all Parlez Francais?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

UlanBatori wrote:Wonder what they do through 100% cloud cover/rain/darkness.
RISAT?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Peregrine wrote:Is there a Pondicherry in Kerala?
What you see is Mahe which is part of Pondicherry, but surrounded by Kerala state on three sides (and Arabian Sea on the other side). Mahe became part of Pondicherry because of the French connection; both were french colonies. I knew a couple of chaps from there and when people become too curious on Mahe's status, the first comment they make is Pinarayi Vijayan is NOT our chief minister :D. It is the Pondicherry CM. In this tiny area, it is the Pondicherry police who operate (with their unique red kepis). Govt. officials here after a certain rank will get posted to Pondicherry on the east coast.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Kerala Floods - Aug 2018

Post by Peregrine »

Sachin wrote:
Peregrine wrote:Is there a Pondicherry in Kerala?
Sachin wrote:What you see is Mahe which is part of Pondicherry, but surrounded by Kerala state on three sides (and Arabian Sea on the other side). Mahe became part of Pondicherry because of the French connection; both were french colonies. I knew a couple of chaps from there and when people become too curious on Mahe's status, the first comment they make is Pinarayi Vijayan is NOT our chief minister :D. It is the Pondicherry CM. In this tiny area, it is the Pondicherry police who operate (with their unique red kepis). Govt. officials here after a certain rank will get posted to Pondicherry on the east coast.
Sachin Ji :

Many thanks indeed!

Cheers Image
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

In another heartwarming development, a group of Pakistani workers in Dubai decided to donate a single day of their wage towards the relief fund for Kerala flood victims. The generous act by these people, who are already lowly paid even by UAE standards, has touched several hearts.
Pakistani expats in Dubai donating one day vages to #KeralaReliefFund #keralaFloods#Pakistan

https://mobile.twitter.com/cheguwera/st ... 28/video/1