Kerala Floods - Aftermath and Save Sabarimala

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: Kerala Floods - Aug 2018

Post by UlanBatori »

habal wrote:
one lakh fifty thousand was collected yesterday. So panchayat may get something like this.

https://www.amazon.in/ZEMLIA-Washing-Ga ... 07G93QGYV/
Trying to get one ordered from Dera 3-shiv-naam. Courier Delivery is iffy (all delivery channels being used for the top priority emergency supplies), but I think it is smarter to order fast because they are going to run out of these at Amazon and FlipKart and face long delays in getting new supplies from cheen. I don't have experience with the Bosch one, but do have with the 1500W Karcher one. Pretty quiet. Got whole driveway and front steps and small porch done in about 4 hours at my speed, cutting through about 7 years of crud and moss etc as well as dirt. In that mode one uses the nozzle like a shaving razor, with a cut width of only about 50mm. For the mud removal I bet it will work with about 1-foot swath if done soon, and leave the surface looking new. So it should be possible to do one house in a couple of hours, and the powerful one may be OK to use for 8 hours a day. Using the detergent dispenser is a good idea for the toxic sludge, but is not absolutely essential: it cuts very clean. One can come in with a detergent/ disinfectant cloth later on, that may be more efficient.

120 atmospheres pressure is ***VERY*** dangerous. Use glasses. Also, don't try to wash hands/feet holding nozzle within 1 foot or you'll cut yourself. Don't let "PinHead" Pinnarayi types use it. :mrgreen:

Ppl are using bleach for cleaning. Be careful. (glasses?)

Try to get a heavy-duty Outdoor power cord with 3-pin so you have some protection in wet areas. Gas-powered pressure washer can get things done much faster, but it is also very heavy and needs a truck I think. The electric ones, well, you need electricity, which is either the mains if they work, or a separate diesel generator. So diesel generator + electric I think is maybe smarter and more versatile (you can use the generator for lights) than trying to get a gas-powered washer. Those are best to rent; anyway I did not find any on Amazon.in.

Renting an electric and bringing it on a rented truck from Chennai does not seem cost-effective.

From what I hear, people are so angry and that energy is driving an extremely fast recovery. Shops back to normal operation.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

nvishal wrote:Centre has refused UAE offer of $100 (700c inr) and has instead told the Arabs to channel it through the CM fund or NGOs operating in kerala.
:shock: Is that confirmed ?

Wouldn't there be more chance of mis-management and non-partial distributions?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This guy Suresh Kochattil gave a less-than-well-prepared long monologue in Angreji, and his Profile Pic shows a dude standing stiff in a coat and tie, so he made himself an easy and lovable target for spitting and stone-throwing.

Plus he claimed to be a spokestwit for BeeJayPee.

People let out their frustrations at him. Ppl created a twitter handle for him, something like #PompousPr1ck" with the 1 replaced with i. A general lynching festival.

His point got lost in that garbage. What he was saying is:
a. Cash is more useful to donate: but give it carefully to ppl (like his organization). True.
b. Logistics prevent donations of old clothes etc from reaching intended recipient, at least in the near future. True.
c. Donating food in tiny amounts is not going to reach end-recipient. Absolutely true.

But he couched it in terms like:
a. I have just arrived here by accident, but decided to save these poor sods with my brilliance.
b. Malloos are not like Andhra cyclone victims. Very proud.
c. They will throw back old clothes. They want only new ones.
d. They won't eat $1/kilo rice, they only eat expensive rice.
Yeah, blithering idiot.

I told someone that if they donate their used jeans from Australia, they can expect to see those again at the "Distressed, Pre-Washed Designer Jeans" section of the most posh dept store in a couple of years, fresh off the boat from Shanghai: logistics costs being what they are, all such items will get sold within 50 miles of the donation collection point. It is stupid to carry such things in a container to Kochi and expect to get them delivered inside the next 3 months.

People (ahem, see "wimmen relatives" above) argued back at me that "planes are landing there!" "Children are sitting in wet clothes and may catch pneumonia!" Yeah, sure, so you can send your private executive jet with your personal pilot and chauffeur and they can ride their jet-packs over to the flood-surrounded relief camp and hand over your old jeans to the wet-clothed child and pat yourself on the musharraf. Plus deliver the box of matches that you sent. :roll: (No, I didn't say it so nicely, some ppl I just fear, and a WhatsApp mob of wimmen relatives is right up there in terror coefficient.) Once they realized the stupidity of their position, they have switched to attacking his ancestors (they know the family...) and relating all sorts of gossip over the past 200 years about them.

Someone needs to rescue him on Twitter - and tell him to STFP.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

nvishal wrote:Centre has refused UAE offer of $100 (700c inr) and has instead told the Arabs to channel it through the CM fund or NGOs operating in kerala.
Manish_P wrote:Wouldn't there be more chance of mis-management and non-partial distributions?
As per The Hindu report; there is only a debate on whether the laws regarding collecting aid should be amended or not. The Hindu being Hindu, does give a picture that GoI may allow such funds. Malayalam channels are also mum on this subject as of now.

But yes, Arabs channelising the funds through their favourite NGOs or business tycoons; it would be pretty obvious on what would be the overall ramifications on the national unity and security aspects.
jpremnath wrote:So you are saying to save India's face we should decline??
Is Kerala part of Indian Union or not? I am glad that you at least admitted that Kerala's treasury is empty and that the state just cannot survive on its own. Tall claims of 100% literacy, superior egalitarian life, first world state in a third world country etc; were just empty claims. Kerala should now stop behaving like the old village land lord (caste Hindu) who does not want to show that he is poor, so starts selling his property to splurge on the annual village temple festival. Kerala herself reached the level of this village land lord, other states never caused her to be in this mess. Understand the situation, shed the bloated egos and accept the help coming in from all other states (and centre) with grace.
The damages to the infrastructure itself is eye popping...1000s of crores will be needed just to repair the broken down susbtations, transformers, and washed out bridges and roads..
Special teams from central govt. (NHAI & Power Distribution Corporation) experts is going to do that. The PM himself had said that. Unless the idea is the money is to be given to state PWD and KSEB; two organisations known for its integrity & professionalism ;).
public donations as of date has crossed only 200 crores, States have committed 200+ crores, and Central govt another 680 crores. I dont think this is enough to even scratch the surface. So yes, the state will need all the money it can get.
Rs.1080 crores, plus the infrastructure building (of roads and power grid). Start with that, please. And perhaps if things go well there would be other groups who could invest and improve things in KL. If KL governments start doing things with a "real sense of business", lots of funds may come in. But today looks like no one wants to give money with no strings attached. The state's finance minister is said to be an "economic scientist", so he should have a long term vision & plan. But honestly, till date all his "unique solutions" are to blame some one else, and/or ask for more money.
Kashi wrote:So basically, GoI is seemingly getting the stick in Kerala due to them doing things properly and by the book and because of some local political affiliates running their mouths?
Exactly!! I don't want to make this purely into politics now. After the floods KL's economic situation is pretty bad. It is also now slowly coming out that the floods, at least a big part of it was caused by humans (Govt. officials of the current government under CPI(M) & CPI). They now want a scape goat to some how get out of the mess and hide their own follies. That happens to be GoI (under the BJP, a party who was never popular in KL). BJP (or its self certified sympathisers) also did their best to help the CPI(M) succeed.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

twitter

Arvind Gunasekar @arvindgunasekar

An advocate from Kerala moved CJI’s residence for urgent hearing for his plea seeking direction to Centre to scale up the relief and rescue efforts in Kerala and also to increase relief fund from mere ₹500 crores; Registrar instructed him to move tomorrow morning
#KeralaFloods
9:04 AM - 19 Aug 2018 from New Delhi, India

Sumeet Joshi @SJoshiRaj

Replying to @arvindgunasekar

Sumeet Joshi Retweeted Arvind Gunasekar

1) What was the fund released by Centre during Uttarakhand floods (2013) in which:
Around 6000 ppl died
4200 villages devastated
1 lakh people were displaced/affected directly.

1000 Crores

2) Also would love to know how much did Kerala govt donate then?
Dear @sureshpprabhu & @jayantsinha : Please monitor & intervene to control the over charged prices to Kerala airports. As Kochi airport closed traffic to Trivandrum &Kozhikode increased &many Pvt airlines started increasing. Unfair during this calamity. Put more Air India flights

Spoke to an Army Officer involved in rescue operations in Kerala. He says that the way the locals have come together to help the forces & each other is exceptional. The society has shown great patience, courage & resolve. “I am trying to find victims. All I see are heroes”.
Last edited by chetak on 22 Aug 2018 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Manish_P wrote:

Anyone can make the transfer online to CM fund or registered NGOs and it will be tax free
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

chetak wrote:2) Also would love to know how much did Kerala govt donate then?
My understanding is that it was a big ZERO. Is there a way to find out the states (and central govt.) aid to the victim state during the past big calamities/disasters in India? It would help to do a comparison easily.
nvishal wrote:Anyone can make the transfer online to CM fund or registered NGOs and it will be tax free
It would also lead to proper tracking through audit trail. And CM would also have to explain how and where the funds were all used. NGOs any way are now under close monitoring.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

nvishal wrote:
Manish_P wrote:

Anyone can make the transfer online to CM fund or registered NGOs and it will be tax free
I meant to ask if the GOI has told the UAE authorities that they can transfer direct to the NGOs also. I was under the impression that the GOI wants to keep a very close watch and checks on NGOs receiving foreign funds.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Manish_P wrote:
nvishal wrote: Anyone can make the transfer online to CM fund or registered NGOs and it will be tax free
I meant to ask if the GOI has told the UAE authorities that they can transfer direct to the NGOs also. I was under the impression that the GOI wants to keep a very close watch and checks on NGOs receiving foreign funds.
In this case, funds from the gulf which always come with huge strings attached.
jpremnath
BRFite

Post by jpremnath »

@sachin...
If the GoI says its gonna take care of all the reconstruction costs or 'going by the books', then they have failed to communicate it well..Because it is neither on the media nor in Kl govt press releases(of course since it is not in their interest) or in the local SM, which has always been pro left ...This is bad PR. There should have been some outreach to explain what the central government is doing to help the state. We already have a department in GoI just for these right? You cant expect the victims to dig deep into govt gazettes to find the facts and then later blame them for being ungrateful. I am not talking politics, i am just saying how different branches of the executive are failing the people who they are all supposed to serve..
The vast majority of the public in the state needs to get down from the high horse of "Kerala No.1" and see for themselves how piss poor they perform in the non social indicators..true..But 'serves you right' is not the way..not at this moment. Already the local media has started the post-mortem on how the dams were badly managed during the floods, so people are gonna know sooner or later how the govt was sleeping at the wheels (or quite inept).
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

jpremnath wrote:There should have been some outreach to explain what the central government is doing to help the state. We already have a department in GoI just for these right?
I don't deny that. But for the BJP, I feel the damage would still be limited. The PR machinery of GoI in Kerala, should ideally have been the state level BJP folks. They (if they exist) could have done the best PR possible in the situation. No amount of online campaigns, or news paper campaigns would have helped. The media would take the money from GoI and continue to spread venom. The lesson for BJP is that in KL the party is non-existent, and ideally they should now leave the state for some time.
The vast majority of the public in the state needs to get down from the high horse of "Kerala No.1" and see for themselves how piss poor they perform in the non social indicators..true..But 'serves you right' is not the way..not at this moment.
Getting down from the "moral high horse"; I agree with you 100%. The "serves you right", if I sounded that way was mainly after seeing the "UAE sheikh is my dad for now, because he offered me Biriyani, my true Indian father could only give me rice" kind of campaigns I saw in social media starting yesterday. As a person who now has spent more life out side the state, than inside KL; honestly I was irritated with the kind of social media posts of Keralites dissing pretty much every non-Keralite person for some or other reason (when many of these people themselves were out side the state working).
Already the local media has started the post-mortem on how the dams were badly managed during the floods, so people are gonna know sooner or later how the govt was sleeping at the wheels (or quite inept).
I don't have much hopes on even the "official" opposition of the state; INC to actually stand with the people and ask some tough questions from the government. CPI(M) still has every thing under a tight grip. They still have the capability to dodge from tough questions, and pass up things to the central government. Actually the ministry has a very tough job of planning for the next 2-3 years. They ideally cannot be hostile to the GoI and would have to learn the skill of negotiating (often at slightly unfavourable/not used to terms).

Any ways, back to business...
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

jpremnath wrote:@sachin...
If the GoI says its gonna take care of all the reconstruction costs or 'going by the books', then they have failed to communicate it well..Because it is neither on the media nor in Kl govt press releases(of course since it is not in their interest) or in the local SM, which has always been pro left ...This is bad PR. There should have been some outreach to explain what the central government is doing to help the state. We already have a department in GoI just for these right? You cant expect the victims to dig deep into govt gazettes to find the facts and then later blame them for being ungrateful. I am not talking politics, i am just saying how different branches of the executive are failing the people who they are all supposed to serve..
The vast majority of the public in the state needs to get down from the high horse of "Kerala No.1" and see for themselves how piss poor they perform in the non social indicators..true..But 'serves you right' is not the way..not at this moment. Already the local media has started the post-mortem on how the dams were badly managed during the floods, so people are gonna know sooner or later how the govt was sleeping at the wheels (or quite inept).
"all reconstruction costs" needs to be clarified. Where is the doubt that the govt of the day will not 'going by the books'?? It is the only way permitted for them.

What if a cashmiri or a uttarakhandi or a bihari or a Tamilian or a Kannadiga files a PIL in the SC to say that we were discriminated against and not compensated on the same scale??

there are many out there merrily and maliciously throwing fuel on already burning fires and actively fanning the flames.

Just check out what happened in other flood hit states and communities and that is probably the best that can be expected under the circumstances.

Nothing stops the state govt from going ahead with whatever it wants to do. The center has limitations in terms of past precedents and equal treatment of its citizens in every state.

Sadly, the central team's evaluation of the damage and the states' evaluation of the damage very often differs by many orders of magnitude.

The recent floods are not a unique occurrence in the country and neighbouring states are badly affected too.

Some time ago, uttarakand was devasted very much more and it simply did not receive the same blanket TV coverage that has been focussed in this instance. It also received about a 1000Cr in central aid from the sonia-MMS govt in 2013.

No central govt will ever enter into any discussion of finances during any ongoing crises. It will quickly deteriorate into a vicious tu tu, mai mai, benefiting none but the commies and the jehadi ropers and rolers.

The moneys received from the center have not yet been fully spent by the state. Huge aid in cash and kind are continuing to pour in from all over.

motivated and unreal expectations are being viciously fanned, primed and spread by urban naxals and "intellectuals" and the controlled media in kerala which everyone in kerala knows who controls and how it is controlled.

One actual beneficiary of these floods are the pedophiliac padres and their "protectors" whose ongoing expose and TV coverage was completely drowned out by the rising waters and the shift of media attention.

I rather think that the comarades are hoping to make a quick and completely unaccounted killing and gather huge funds for their 2019 foray, having already lost all their other ATM machine states.

here is turdesai with his finely practised fire fanning techniques and our comrades indulging in their favourite politicking and center bashing.
I am disappointed with the money offered by Govt of India: Kerala Fiannce Minister to @sardesairajdeep

https://twitter.com/i/status/1031971405280174082

https://bit.ly/2MJ4H1q
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Sachin wrote:Exactly!! I don't want to make this purely into politics now. After the floods KL's economic situation is pretty bad. It is also now slowly coming out that the floods, at least a big part of it was caused by humans (Govt. officials of the current government under CPI(M) & CPI). They now want a scape goat to some how get out of the mess and hide their own follies. That happens to be GoI (under the BJP, a party who was never popular in KL). BJP (or its self certified sympathisers) also did their best to help the CPI(M) succeed.
To be honest if the janta of the most literate state of India cannot figure it out themselves that their so-called rakshaks have been the biggest bhakshaks and as you said responsible for a large part of their current misery, one can only shake their heads.

Anyway, this is not about BJP, CPM, CPI or the Ramleela committee. If GoI has been lacking, blame them by all means and GoI too should imbibe the experiences and lessons gathered over the course of these operations and refine their disaster response set up- such as localised NDRF headquarters, update evacuation and rehabilitation protocols and remove the bottlenecks.

But what is happening here is that there are lots of people blaming the GoI despite following all the procedures and setting politics aside in favour of relief and rescue. Resentment cuts both ways.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

I am disappointed with the money offered by Govt of India: Kerala Fiannce Minister to @sardesairajdeep
The state's finance minister has been on a permenant disappointment mode for quite some time, and most likely that would remain for ever. Unless CPI(M) gets a chance to rule from New Delhi, or he is given a steady supply of money at 0% interest, no questions asked so that he can try out various marxist theories of economies. If it fails, don't worry he will come back asking for more funds.

And this whole drama of UAE Sheikh offering 700 crores of funds to Kerala, the more I think about it the more I am reminded of a Malayalam movie Pranchiyettan & the Saint. The way things are going it was some wheeling & dealing of a certain businessman which seems to have actually taken place. The scheme if worked would have made the businessman "invaluable" for the state (and becomes his next stepping stone, to deal at GoI levels), the UAE Sheikh (of a sheikdom, which is not a democracy) gets a chance to enhance his image, and the Kerala commies gets what they want the most; money. The C.M's relief funds, AFAIK is open for contributions from any one. Any body can contribute, and the source of funds are only asked for if the amount exceeds some limit (3 lakhs??). But the Sheikh contributing to this fund (with no fan fare), would not have fit into the overall plans.

Mean while St.Antony has this to say - Rejecting aid may affect Kerala-UAE relations: AK Antony. Why so much adamancy in taking funds from UAE? How is it that if the funds are not accepted it would effect bilateral relationships? Is there a concern that the Sheikh or the businessman would "lose his face"?

The cries are getting louder - UAE is not any other nation: Chief Minister.. Seems to be becoming a more concentrated efforts. The "secular, liberal, progressive" folks may join in soon.

Accepting UAE cash offer for Kerala is a problem: Ex-Diplomat.
Kashi wrote:But what is happening here is that there are lots of people blaming the GoI despite following all the procedures and setting politics aside in favour of relief and rescue. Resentment cuts both ways.
GoI (and BJP) can still hit back in pure democratic ways, if they want. Are there enquiry commissions set up by Central Govt when such big disasters happen? I know DGCA does such enquiries when "incidents" involving air planes occur (even for smaller issues). Set up an enquiry commission to bring out the truth about the whole sad incident. Table it in the Lok Sabha, and the BJP MPs can be ready with their questions. The Lok Sabha MPs from KL are mostly from the ruling party of the state, CPI(M). Ask some well pointed questions, and Lok Sabha TV any way can cover this Live. BJP should get points which it can take to its voters. CPI(M) as a party can be pilloried, if what the news papers report now are true. They cannot easily weasal out of this.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Best service BRF can do is to make sh1t list of the price hikers, conversionists and profiteers. Plus a hotline/twitter feed to record all such.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Manish, the New Delhi govt has a policy of not accepting aid.

But there is no such policy for the CM fund or for the registered NGOs. Anyone can go on their respective sites and make an online transfer.

Money has probably already started flowing into those two accounts from gulf. UAE can transfer to those two accounts if it wants. All doners to this are anonymous and UAE may have a problem with this.

Money sent to non-registered NGOs will be considered as income and incur tax.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

nvishal wrote:Manish, the New Delhi govt has a policy of not accepting aid.

But there is no such policy for the CM fund or for the registered NGOs. Anyone can go on their respective sites and make an online transfer.

Money has probably already started flowing into those two accounts from gulf. UAE can transfer to those two accounts if it wants.

Money sent to non-registered NGOs will be considered as income and incur tax.
I would very much doubt if any sheikh would now have the guts to incur the wrath of the GoI and transfer the huge funds to the CM's fund without the express permission of the GoI.

Positions have been made clear.

Maybe some token gesture may be permitted to save face.
the New Delhi govt has a policy of not accepting aid.
It is the national policy, period.

No Indian state runs or can run its own policy of contact/diplomatic relations with foreign nations.

Its like that idiot sashi tharoor claiming that he has contacted the UN directly on behalf of the kerala CM/govt for aid relief and funds.

I, for one, would love to see what he brings back from the UN in terms of aid or funds.
Last edited by chetak on 22 Aug 2018 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Kerala floods LIVE updates: Will hold a discussion with Centre on UAE relief aid issue if need arises, says CM Vijayan
National Disaster Management Plan has provision to accept foreign govt aid: Chief Minister
The state government seems to be now in a mood to get this aid at any cost. Note the head line difference in the English news paper, and the English news from a Malayalam News paper. What is being said now is that the country has provisions to accept aid if it is voluntarily offered. A circular issued by Na.Mo Govt in 2016 is taken as a reason to allow such aids read with provisions in Chapter 9 of the NDM policy.

Provision 9.2 of the said plan reads as follows:-
9.2 Accepting Foreign Assistance
As a matter of policy, the Government of India does not issue any appeal for foreign assistance in the wake of a disaster. However, if the national government of another country voluntarily offers assistance as a goodwill gesture in solidarity with the disaster victims, the Central Government may accept the offer. The Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India is required to coordinate with the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, which is primarily responsible for reviewing foreign offers of assistance and channelizing the same. In consultation with the concerned State Government, the MHA will assess the response requirements that the foreign teams can provide.

The NDMP is a plan/policy document; it only gives the basic guide lines. It is actually NOT a law. And there is a wide discretionary power for the Central Govt. And note that MHA can assess what the recipient country has to offer to help in the relief. The UAE government has no man power to offer, nor any technical expertise to offer. All they are offering is money.
nvishal wrote:But there is no such policy for the CM fund or for the registered NGOs. Anyone can go on their respective sites and make an online transfer.
Money has probably already started flowing into those two accounts from gulf. UAE can transfer to those two accounts if it wants.
Money from individuals and charity associations of the Malayali diaspora have already started coming in. This offer from UAE actually came up through the intervention of a business man in Kerala. Officially this businessman is in no way connected to the Govt. of Kerala. Neither GoKL or GoI have made any request to UAE or any other country to give aid. Now an Arab sheikh is not going to use the CM relief fund to push in his 700 crores. He would be expecting a bigger exposure, which helps in his and his country's image building. The businessman natuarally would have his own interests. Reading between the lines, this has become a case of UAE trying to forcibly give aid to India with Kerala based businessman working behind the scenes. Kerala for sure would use this "forced down" aid to further belittle the Central Govt, various Indian states and their contributions.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Report from Ground ZERO Today.

Folk from my unit took a list of our colleagues affected(criteria was the flood water covering their living room/bedroom/kitchen floor completely) and got a list of 19 people. Most of them on the Periyar system, while one from Chalakudy, three from Muvattupuzha and two from Pamba. The senior members visited nine houses in the Periyar and Chalakkudy systems today. Observations:

Most of the places are well into clean-up. It is very difficult to get halp, so mostly the family members are doing it. Renting generators and diesel pumps is very difficult. Even simple tools like mops, scrapers, gum boots etc is difficult.

The reach of the flood is unbelievable. One place is like 6 km away from the river. One place never had floods in the past, but had the river practically run through it.

Both rivers flows like a docile cat, whispering "I don't know anything, Rama-Narayana". We went to the Malayattoor Bridge, the one in the photu with all the debris and bottles on it. The river is flowing nicely 15 metres down.

The biggest problem is electricity. Buying pressure washer is good, but need gensets also to go with them. People have rigged Tractors and Tillers with pumps and alternators, taking up package deal for clean-up. But there aren't enough to go around.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

chetak wrote:I would very much doubt if any sheikh would now have the guts to incur the wrath of the GoI and transfer the huge funds to the CM's fund without the express permission of the GoI.
Nothing stops them making the transfer but it will be counted as an anonymous donation.

Aid has a political angle to it. No one is going to transfer $100 million without some form of ceremony or recognition. But the Saudis are not interested in keralite recognition. They want new Delhi.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

RVAIDYA2000 @rvaidya2000

Power and hold of commies in our Media--Did you notice that not a single Media --print and TV-- has made even mild criticism of Kerala CM/Govt --as if they were 110% perfect--Imagine if it were Maha or UP etc--That is the control commies hve on Media:)) RT
5:34 AM - 19 Aug 2018
1,425 Retweets 1,728 Likes
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

This is always a great danger in any flooded zone

Snake bite cases go up as water recedes in Kerala
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Sachin wrote:UAE actually came up through the intervention of a business man in Kerala[/url]. Officially this businessman is in no way connected to the Govt. of Kerala. Neither GoKL or GoI have made any request to UAE or any other country to give aid. Now an Arab sheikh is not going to use the CM relief fund to push in his 700 crores. He would be expecting a bigger exposure, which helps in his and his country's image building. The businessman natuarally would have his own interests. Reading between the lines, this has become a case of UAE trying to forcibly give aid to India with Kerala based businessman working behind the scenes. Kerala for sure would use this "forced down" aid to further belittle the Central Govt, various Indian states and their contributions.
Thanks for the links. This is a clear case where "actors" behind the scenes in UAE are bribing their way into KL Commies. Most of the 700 cr. from UAE will go into CPI party funds.

Or given the adamancy KL CM is showing on getting the funds, is it by any chance all black money parked in Doobai which they could not get post Demo and are trying to get it in?

Just for the above reasons, GOI should take the UAE aid package and use it to clean up Ganga in W. Bengal. To prevent future floods.

The center can announce that the funds can be earmarked for Namami Gange project and specifically in W. Bengal.
Last edited by disha on 22 Aug 2018 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

twitter

I gather that more money was later given for uttarakhand as more will no doubt be, for kerala too.
Last edited by chetak on 23 Aug 2018 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Disha That would be taking money under false pretenses.
Don't give such suggestions.
Allowing UAE to channel the money to CMDRF is appropriate.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The Week reports absence of alert befire releasing waters made situation worse.
Something members here have said before.

https://twitter.com/prasannavishy/statu ... 32576?s=19
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

India rejects UAE govt's $100 mln flood disaster fund offer
AFP
Aug 22, 2018
India on Wednesday rejected an offer by the United Arab Emirates government to give $100 million to a special fund for Kerala state after its floods which killed more than 400 people.“In line with the existing policy, the government is committed to meeting the requirements for relief and rehabilitation through domestic efforts,” said a foreign ministry statement.The ministry added that foreign money could only be donated through Indian-origin individuals or foundations.India has a record of refusing foreign aid after disasters, turning down foreign help after the 2004 tsunami.
Kerala state chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan called for “high level” talks with the national government so the UAE money could be accepted.The UAE offer is more than the $97 million so far promised by India's central government. Vijayan asked for a $375 million package from the government, saying the state must confront more than $3 billion in devastation.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Full article here. Read total abdication of responsibility by KSEB and TN officials that wreaked havoc. Flouting NDMA rules framed in 2005 of 24 hour notice and informing collector and police. Note excuse of using Whatsapp to communicate the dam opening.
The rain contributed 10% of reservoir capacity. They already held 90%! :(

https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2018/ ... ssion=true
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I wish ppl would not make a huge deal of UAE help. Zillions of Malloos and other desis work in gelf. The ppl (I mean their sultans) are showing human generosity and caring. They **ARE** conscious that when they are (next?) in bad shape India/Indians help them. They see their workers worried sick about their relatives and homes. They want to help.

Central guvrmand will put whatever commonsense rules on how aid comes in. Beyond that, take it and let them provide the help, have govt machinery direct the help to the people, thank them for their generosity and move on. A great step toward international friendship.

A lot of ppl can thank American CARE packages that came in the 1950s/60s. The boxes used to have the sign:
From the People of the United States of America.
Yes, it was intended to build influence and goodwill (and Save Da Souls Of the Heathen in some cases and build recruits for the Culinary Institute of Africa).
Direct the aid properly and let the donors feel the warm glow of pride that they did something decent for once as they go back to whatever they do on a daily basis like pulverizing school buses of Yemeni children or watching them in Camel Races.

OTOH the Centre are making themselves look like idiots because the "UAE Aid is >> Central Aid". Centre should take the view that since UAE is helping the needs are being met, so not so much need for Central aid, and take 100% credit for arranging the UAE aid, have the fake cheque handed over at Rashtrapati Bhavan, photoOps etc. Get similar package from Gelf Sheikh's Quatari enemies too.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Reddit India @redditindia

With Mosques Still Under Water, Kerala Temple Let Muslims Offer Namaz In Its Compound for Eid.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Good! (presumably requires a sprinkling and some mantras afterwards but a great step). CNN will report that HINDUS ALLOW DOG TO WALK PAST PREMISES DURING M***** PRAYERS!

Meanwhile, Malloostan Weddings bijnej is flourishing. Relative who was stuck in HolyEndlessCity after1-day bijnej trip for several days, returned to Dera3shivnaam by long and arduous bus journey 2 din pehle (train lines under water) to get good clothes, now back in HolyEndlessCity (by train presumably) w/Bibi for wedding of friend's bacha. Others in Dera3shivnaam put on dry clothes after muck-cleaning their store for past several week, off to wedding & feast. Onam celebrations may be muted, but not wedding bashes. Life must go on.

But many parts still not only submerged but wiped out.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 23 Aug 2018 03:54, edited 2 times in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ramana wrote:Full article here. Read total abdication of responsibility by KSEB and TN officials that wreaked havoc. Flouting NDMA rules framed in 2005 of 24 hour notice and informing collector and police. Note excuse of using Whatsapp to communicate the dam opening.
The rain contributed 10% of reservoir capacity. They already held 90%! :(

https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2018/ ... ssion=true
KSEB as an organization is fraudulently setup. Pretty much nothing gets done without bribing any person whatsoever position he/she is in. One can't get an electricity connection (in my case request to convert from single phase to 3 phase) took about months (almost a year) - went multiple channels and linesmen, each having their own share of bribery operations.

WhatsApping is ridiculous CYA. Is that gov established norm? Why KSEB the authority to even alerting or taking decision. I think India lacks DR management seriously. Perhaps every state have funds attributed like paying 1 crore insurance premium per month for each state minimum but based on risk factors and size of population. Something drastic policy changes are required.

IOW, NDMA should not be a cooperative-federalism board, but a central board with federated controls and operations. I am already foreseeing multiple floods soon to happen going by the current trends. ChennaiFlood #2 is nearing. @EOD, only military comes to rescue - and who funds them?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

UAE aid offer conveyed via Yusuf Ali of Lulu INC.

https://twitter.com/fighter_nair/status ... 84354?s=19

Interesting via media.

And Vijayan insists on this money.

Lentils?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ramana wrote:UAE aid offer conveyed via Yusuf Ali of Lulu INC.
Natural. Because this may have been an idea from the Lulu INC chief itself. The media choreography can be arranged by his money.

When lots of Malayali nurses got stuck up in a Middle east country, there was lots of negotiations done by MEA to get them back. The Malayalam media again had tried to put a story that he worked behind the deal. MEA and Sushma swaraj clearly said that was not the case.

For quite some time Malayalam media and politicians have made him into another Sheikh who keeps running KL state. Now he is trying to pitch in for a bigger grandeur.

Central Govt. should be wary of these kind of middle men, and hope Indian Union's self interest and self respect are given its due.

Mean while the main stream media has totally sunk the story of poor planning in the opening of dams. Looks like KL even though a small state has the power to manipulate the media discourse.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Can the Faithful here pls advise on how to get a dataset of latitude, longitude, altitude (so I can convert it to x,y,z) to 1km resolution of KL region (or even a portion thereof)? The z resolution needs to be down to 1m or closest to there.

Yeah, I know that some 1km^2 (mountains) will be highly inaccurate, but no big deal: average is good enough there. Need a digital dataset, not maps. Data file may be 40,000 points? I think EXCEL and my laptop Mac can handle that.

Added later:
Pls see https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/gltiles.html
I downloaded grid cell G elevation data. Unzipped it. 129MB. Comes up as Text doc.
Tried opening it: looks like ASCII description of image, or maybe some other image format. Yes they do have a manual but it is too long for ppl who have yaks to graze and dung to shovel.

Can some kind person show me how to convert this to say EXCEL or something where it has intelligible numbers?

Meanwhile, pls see this tool. Generates pictures but can't see how to download the elevation data as numbers.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^ awesome batori ji. now, we can really plan per these tools.
I used this link for elevation https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

If I have the map in digital form (h(x,y)) I can tell you when to pack the pet cat and cobra into the SUV along with Bibi/bambini , hit the supermarket b4 the run on rations starts, load the beer and the cooler and cross the Ghats on the way to visit East Coast relatives, in good time before the roads get flooded. Basic algorithm seems to work: "we" have managed to drown Palakkad within 7 hours by installing baboon(s) to operate the shutters at Malampuzha with a 1inch/hr rain. A few uncertainties and 100% error here and there, but what the heck, that is much better than the guvrmand does these days.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

^^Goldmine!!

I downloaded the raw 3 arc second (300ft) data at 1 m resolution for the entire Kerala. Need to write some code to get the data to useable form. Some clean-up also will be needed, but this will carry things a lot forward.

Correction: it is 3 Arc Seconds
Last edited by Dileep on 23 Aug 2018 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:UAE aid offer conveyed via Yusuf Ali of Lulu INC.

https://twitter.com/fighter_nair/status ... 84354?s=19

Interesting via media.

And Vijayan insists on this money.

Lentils?
Very black lentils

The two "gents", one of them is looking for 2019 funding on a large and untraceable scale like in the days of yore and the other may be looking for a seat in the parliament and the attendant perks of power broking on an international scale.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

UlanBatori wrote:If I have the map in digital form (h(x,y)) I can tell you when to pack the pet cat and cobra into the SUV along with Bibi/bambini , hit the supermarket b4 the run on rations starts, load the beer and the cooler and cross the Ghats on the way to visit East Coast relatives, in good time before the roads get flooded. Basic algorithm seems to work: "we" have managed to drown Palakkad within 7 hours by installing baboon(s) to operate the shutters at Malampuzha with a 1inch/hr rain. A few uncertainties and 100% error here and there, but what the heck, that is much better than the guvrmand does these days.
A one meter elevation/height change on palakkad makes the spread go twice. Just imagine how much slow the release have to be.